• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
The only character i find annoying in the game so far is hawkeye. Derp derp arrow derp super derp relaunch derp whatever. Not hating. Just stating facts.
you can usually bait out the scrub hawkeyes into wasting their hypers. btw flocker plays other teams besides his phoenix team. i played a bunch of his other teams when i played him. although his new team might be his main team.

ReiGun

woooooooooooooooow

If Flocker dropped Phoenix, everyone will drop Phoenix. Any word from Champ or Viscant?

Champ played Phoenix in that SRK tourney from a few days ago. Said he was determined to make her work. Ended up placing second, if I recall correctly. IDK about Viscant.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
you can usually bait out the scrub hawkeyes into wasting their hypers. btw flocker plays other teams besides his phoenix team. i played a bunch of his other teams when i played him. although his new team might be his main team.

Im just irritated playing against him. Hes the 'type' that pisses me off. I can deal with him but he just hits my damn button.

Hawkeye, the rage inducing of Marvel side #1. Raccoon will make people rage. Firebrand already causes rage. Strider will make people break there sticks.

Shall be glorious.

gyrspike

Neo Member
Champ played Phoenix in that SRK tourney from a few days ago. Said he was determined to make her work. Ended up placing second, if I recall correctly. IDK about Viscant.

Champ didn't come in second. He lost in the first round of the SRK tournament to Honzo Gonzo.

ReiGun

Phoenix players are going to hop off that boat like the Titanic. Especially those that were just in it for the easy wins.

Champ didn't come in second. He lost in the first round of the SRK tournament to Honzo Gonzo.

I could have sworn that was Grand Finals when I watched them play. Must have been too tired, I guess. But yeah, the bracket on SRK says you're right.

gyrspike

Neo Member
Yeah it prolly did feel like he lost in the finals with the way the tournament was handled. There was like 3 hours of casual matches and then the tournament started. The tournament was over so quick, 8 people, single elim, 2 of 3 except for finals 3 of 5, whole tournament lasted less than an hour.

Flocker looks like he's sticking with her with a Trish/Morrigan/Phoenix team.
I like the strategy of a guy on SRK more. Morrigan on point backed by Hidden Missiles, which lets her combo into Soul Drain.

The problem with Point/Meter Assist/Phoenix is that all three of your characters are essentially playing without assists. Your point character just has the meter assist. When your point character dies, the second character just has itself because you dare not call Phoenix as an assist, and then of course your anchor is alone.

Plus, Ultimate is ripe with assists that shut down Trish's delay game.

Dahbomb

I liked Flocker's team of Zero/Vergil/Hawkeye better... he was ROFL stomping with that team a few days ago.

I guess he wants to prove that he can still win with Phoenix or something. Morrigan is definitely a plus on a Phoenix team whether as an assist or on point. I have to agree with Karsts, putting Morrigan as an assist on a Phoenix teams means you are playing without an assist and there are assists in UMVC3 that shut down Trish's lame game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mVpZ1cZAry0 <-- WWHY EP11

woooooooooooooooow

If Flocker dropped Phoenix, everyone will drop Phoenix. Any word from Champ or Viscant?
This is a good thing. That bitch had a ridiculous stranglehold on the tournament scene. It'd be refreshing to see five or six characters taking her place at top eights, losers finals and winners finals.

Mahvel is one of the best fighters in terms of character variety and sacrificing her to improve that is good in my book so long as she is not TERRIBLE.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
This is a good thing. That bitch had a ridiculous stranglehold on the tournament scene. It'd be refreshing to see five or six characters taking her place at top eights, losers finals and winners finals.

Mahvel is one of the best fighters in terms of character variety and sacrificing her to improve that is good in my book so long as she is not TERRIBLE.

I literally wouldn't have changed any character but her. Including the retarded vanilla sentinel patch.

Dahbomb

Champ is contemplating whether he wants to drop Phoenix or not. Viscant thinks she is still good.

Although Wesker is now the new villain of the game in tournaments. I am sure if they have a Good vs Evil tournament for UMVC3... Wesker is going to be on the Evil side.

I love this Good vs Evil stuff because so much anti-character technology comes out. You know the pros are in the lab coming up with anti-Wesker tech just like they did with Sentinel.

kirblar

Champ is contemplating whether he wants to drop Phoenix or not. Viscant thinks she is still good.

Although Wesker is now the new villain of the game in tournaments. I am sure if they have a Good vs Evil tournament for UMVC3... Wesker is going to be on the Evil side.

I love this Good vs Evil stuff because so much anti-character technology comes out. You know the pros are in the lab coming up with anti-Wesker tech just like they did with Sentinel.
Staying in the upper opposite corner (where he has no way of getting in except via teleports) and zoning him out seems like the best course of action.

F Champ got knocked out in the first round by Honzo Gonzo. He also lost to X Ray and Hi I'm Nasty in first to 3s after the tourney. Then he went home to his stream and got bodied by random dudes online.

He got what he deserved anyway, the arrogance he showed at the start of the touney was sickening. He was talking about how he had a 100% chance of winning the whole tourney had it been double eliminations. The way things are going for him I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up quitting the game eventually.

As for Viscant he made a post on SRK yesterday about how the whole point of using Phoenix is gone now that people no longer need to snap her in. So it looks like he's going to be dropping her too.

There's no real anti Wesker technology, he's the closest the game has to MvC2 Storm, the character with no weakness that can do everything. It's not that there aren't characters who can rush him down and who can zone him out, but he's no Sentinel and I have a hard time seeing any realistic "anti-Wesker" tech. Any bad matchup for him is more an annoyance and chore than something that will make Wesker players want to drop him. For that reason Capcom has screwed up badly in their balancing of Wesker, even if there ends up characters which have more herp derp than him.

Dahbomb

I already know of the numerous "anti-Wesker" strats because I play Wesker so I sort of know what he's strong against and what he's weak against.

Wesker's strength is dependent on his assists. If he's backed up by Vajra, those teams that are proficient at laming him out at the top of the screen aren't as effective. If he has Unibeam he can easily approach teams who like to keep away with stuff like Drones or in general horizontal keep away. Once they block Unibeam on the ground, Wesker is in and he can possibly tick command throw them. Against rushdown he still has the option of having Haggar since it's still fairly invincible on start up.

Wesker on Phoenix teams is nerfed. He doesn't have access to his glasses mechanic on Phoenix teams. He builds much less meter and of course the 100K less health means when he gets beats up he's building way less meter for the team. No more hard knockdown highly invincible Haggar and Tron assist also nerfs his capability to deal with tight rushdown. In general Wesker has to work way harder to get Phoenix to 5 bars.

I think Wesker with a horizontal beam assist (Doom, Iron Man, Magneto) with Vajra is one of the best teams in the game. Since Doom and Iron Man also get benefit from Vajra... more so than Magneto I would say that something like Wesker/Doom/Strider is a top team. If I were to put my money on Viscant's new non-Phoenix team.... it's Wesker/Doom/Strider.

And yeah FChamp's self dick riding was hilarious before the tournament. He's a very strong player though and he plays 2 very strong characters in UMVC3 (Magneto/Dormammu). He can still play a team of Magneto/Dormammu/Sentinel and win matches with them.

I literally wouldn't have changed any character but her. Including the retarded vanilla sentinel patch.
Phoenix
Wolverine
Haggar
Tron

These four were like miles worth of adhesive laid onto railroad tracks that would eventually stop the MvC hypetrain. The game would've hit a wall thanks to that dumb shit.

Wesker and Dante are bad, but not as bad as the shit that the four above got away with.
I already know of the numerous "anti-Wesker" strats because I play Wesker so I sort of know what he's strong against and what he's weak against.

Wesker's strength is dependent on his assists. If he's backed up by Vajra, those teams that are proficient at laming him out at the top of the screen aren't as effective. If he has Unibeam he can easily approach teams who like to keep away with stuff like Drones or in general horizontal keep away. Once they block Unibeam on the ground, Wesker is in and he can possibly tick command throw them. Against rushdown he still has the option of having Haggar since it's still fairly invincible on start up.

Wesker on Phoenix teams is nerfed. He doesn't have access to his glasses mechanic on Phoenix teams. He builds much less meter and of course the 100K less health means when he gets beats up he's building way less meter for the team. No more hard knockdown highly invincible Haggar and Tron assist also nerfs his capability to deal with tight rushdown. In general Wesker has to work way harder to get Phoenix to 5 bars.

I think Wesker with a horizontal beam assist (Doom, Iron Man, Magneto) with Vajra is one of the best teams in the game. Since Doom and Iron Man also get benefit from Vajra... more so than Magneto I would say that something like Wesker/Doom/Strider is a top team. If I were to put my money on Viscant's new non-Phoenix team.... it's Wesker/Doom/Strider.

And yeah FChamp's self dick riding was hilarious before the tournament. He's a very strong player though and he plays 2 very strong characters in UMVC3 (Magneto/Dormammu). He can still play a team of Magneto/Dormammu/Sentinel and win matches with them.
The funny part in all of this is that for all the bitching that Wesker gets it bad none of it was true and he didn't get nerfed at all. We both more or less agreed that damage, mobility and mixups are the most important things for a character to have in the game and none of the things they changed really address that. Rhino charge nerf is heavy handed, but it doesn't change the nature of the character at all.

Wesker's secret was never building meter(which is still very possible considering how mobile he is), having a fantastic assist/THC hyper, doing 650k+ meterless damage(which he CAN do now lolz) or even baiting for rhino charge opportunities. It was always about getting two combos(with highish damage), mixing you up and frustrating the opponent which he does even better than before.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just did Felicia's wall cling during Morrigan's Astral Vision. You can add that to the list of combinations that fuck up and crash the game.

Motion to ban Astral Vision. :p

TGMIII

And yeah FChamp's self dick riding was hilarious before the tournament.

I don't see why people get up in arms about other people feeling themselves, why wouldn't you go into a tournament with confidence and say you're going to blow everyone up. It's not like he's acting like Noel Brown where he talks shit all day and then still gets bodied playing one of the best teams in the game, gets drunk, tries to start fights and then passes out leaving other people to deal with him.

NeoCross

So I'm trying to test out a new team, Ghost Rider (Chain/Hellfire, depends)/xxx/Hawkeye(triple arrow). Any suggestions on the second slot? I'm thinking Dante (Lol I have dante on every team) or maybe even Spencer?

Dahbomb

Wesker needs his glasses fixed and his Phantom Dance to not randomly cross up. I can't believe they still haven't fixed that shit yet. They also need to fix the damage from random Phantom Dance (WWWWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYY too high, thank god it doesn't hit nearly as hard when used in combos) and the safety of that move. It's entirely too hard to punish that move compared to something like Vergil's which you have a day to punish. It's especially stupid that he can throw that hyper out randomly... maybe he will get it to cross up and even if he doesn't he can get buffed from throwing it randomly.

Also Wesker doesn't have better mix ups now, I don't know why you said that. The 600K+ meterless damage is stupid of course, no arguments from anyone there.

I don't see why people get up in arms about other people feeling themselves, why wouldn't you go into a tournament with confidence and say you're going to blow everyone up. It's not like he's acting like Noel Brown where he talks shit all day and then still gets bodied playing one of the best teams in the game, gets drunk, tries to start fights and then passes out leaving other people to deal with him.
I am not up in arms about it... I said it was hilarious as in I enjoyed it. I love the trash talking and blow ups.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Unless it was changed, Phantom Dance has a really shitty hitbox. Lots of stuff beat it clean and just about anything else will trade at worst.

Wesker needs his glasses fixed and his Phantom Dance to not randomly cross up. I can't believe they still haven't fixed that shit yet. They also need to fix the damage from random Phantom Dance (WWWWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYY too high, thank god it doesn't hit nearly as hard when used in combos) and the safety of that move. It's entirely too hard to punish that move compared to something like Vergil's which you have a day to punish. It's especially stupid that he can throw that hyper out randomly... maybe he will get it to cross up and even if he doesn't he can get buffed from throwing it randomly.

Also Wesker doesn't have better mix ups now, I don't know why you said that. The 600K+ meterless damage is stupid of course, no arguments from anyone there.

I am not up in arms about it... I said it was hilarious as in I enjoyed it. I love the trash talking and blow ups.
New assists can bring new craziness to the game, but yeah I mostly made a mistake there. It's not exactly the middle of the day around here haha.
Unless it was changed, Phantom Dance has a really shitty hitbox. Lots of stuff beat it clean and just about anything else will trade at worst.
Phantom dance never really scared me all that much since all three of my old characters always had a counter(even Hsien-Ko could toss an item lol).

Shadow Servant>old Phantom dance

Does the glasses buff still happen even if you punish the phantom dance?

Dahbomb

It still has a shitty hit box/priority but it still shouldn't cross up or do 400K damage mashed on raw hit and should be punishable reliably. It's not much to ask really.

Does the glasses buff still happen even if you punish the phantom dance?
I think it does actually.

Anyone know what the day 1 patch for UMVC3 did?

I hate Strider's costumes so much! I can't get them to match with anybody and its driving me crazy.....the colors are too bright for his own damn good, especially when trying to get the red or blue colors of Viper and Dante to go with him.

Also, I nominate white Magneto as the worst costume in the game. It looks horrible: http://i.imgur.com/mJRZA.jpg

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
My friend and I were playing a set yesterday where we both used Wesker. Phantom Dance actually crossed up more than it didn't. That shit's real dumb. I'm wondering if the glasses buff actually makes it cross up MORE now since he's that much faster.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I keep messing up special moves during combos. I always mess up the stick movements when I'm in the middle of a combo.

Any advice for that?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I keep messing up special moves during combos. I always mess up the stick movements when I'm in the middle of a combo.

Any advice for that?

Turn on input display in training mode and see where you're messing up your special moves. Then practice.

LakeEarth

The only character i find annoying in the game so far is hawkeye. Derp derp arrow derp super derp relaunch derp whatever. Not hating. Just stating facts.
You gotta pressure him when he's coming in. He sucks up close and Gimlet doesn't have invulnerability on its startup, so keep him in the corner as long as possible. Once he's made some space, well then its time for "bait hyper" fest 2012.

Hmmm, I'm at a bit of a block here.

I know I'm using Wesker, Hawkeye and Strider for on team.

I'm trying to make a Dormammu team now. Want to have Dorm on point, with Strider on anchor (Vajra assist is way too good).

Any advice on a second character for that team GAF?

I'd say a beam assist might be a good idea, so Doom, Iron Man, Taskmaster (Horizontal Arrows) or maybe Magneto might work for you.
Edit: Or Storm.
Edit2: Or MODOK or Strange.

Man, so many beams.

anyone ever tried out something like Chris/Frank/Haggar? I could've sworn I saw somebody talking about it in here.

I guess the only problem with the team is that it has nothing going for it against people in the air, and the DHC is pretty bad. Great assists for Chris though.

syztem

Neo Member
Gentlemen, I could use a little help building my team.

Right now it's Firebrand/x/Wesker. I've settled on those two slots, but I'm having trouble settling on a third. Firebrand is extremely fun to play, definitely want to keep him. Wesker saves the day many times, so I like him as anchor, but I can move him to second if there's a good reason too. He's basically my crutch, I won't lie.

Things I've tried and my issues so far:

Firebrand/Sentinel/Wesker - Firebrand benefits a lot from drones, but he also dies quickly. I don't like depending on Sentinel for anything.

Firebrand/Hulk/Wesker - works only because hulk does easy mode damage, and DHC from Firebrand into Gamma Crush makes Firebrands fairly simple and weak bnb's (500k) do decent damage. Hulk's anti-air assist is ok, if I'm quick I can combo off of it.

Firebrand/Wesker/Doom (plasma or hidden missiles, both are effective) - I'd love to make this my team. Doom assists are amazing and provide serious benefit. However, my execution with doom is terrible, I can't get it down. If wesker dies and I'm left with doom it's basically over.

Firebrand/Strange/Wesker - Strange's assists are all pretty good. If I can get Strange's combos down I'm considering this one.

Teams I'm considering:

Firebrand/Task (horizontal arrows)/Wesker - Arrows help firebrand, task is within my execution level, this is a forerunner right now.

Firebrand/Cap/Wesker - I haven't tried Cap yet, but he seems quite buffed. Not sure how his assists would function with Firebrand though.

I'd love some recommendations.

I always hear "More than the serum, you mean nothing to me!", although I think he says "Mortals are weak, you mean nothing to me!".

The fun part is that I never was able to make out what Doom says when he dies, I always heard a line cried in German (which is spoken in Latveria by the way), which would translate to "Now I'm dead".

That reminds me, I still don't know what Hawkeye says when he dies. Is it "It cannot be"? I can't hear that.

I think people are really underestimating Doom's rocks assist. I'd say its general usefulness is even more better than that of the beam. They're excellent projectile eaters, lock down really good cause they're on the screen forever and Doom is not that easy to punish as he is with missiles.

Ah well...

Gentlemen, I could use a little help building my team.

Right now it's Firebrand/x/Wesker. I've settled on those two slots, but I'm having trouble settling on a third. Firebrand is extremely fun to play, definitely want to keep him. Wesker saves the day many times, so I like him as anchor, but I can move him to second if there's a good reason too. He's basically my crutch, I won't lie.

Things I've tried and my issues so far:

Firebrand/Sentinel/Wesker - Firebrand benefits a lot from drones, but he also dies quickly. I don't like depending on Sentinel for anything.

Firebrand/Hulk/Wesker - works only because hulk does easy mode damage, and DHC from Firebrand into Gamma Crush makes Firebrands fairly simple and weak bnb's (500k) do decent damage. Hulk's anti-air assist is ok, if I'm quick I can combo off of it.

Firebrand/Wesker/Doom (plasma or hidden missiles, both are effective) - I'd love to make this my team. Doom assists are amazing and provide serious benefit. However, my execution with doom is terrible, I can't get it down. If wesker dies and I'm left with doom it's basically over.

Firebrand/Strange/Wesker - Strange's assists are all pretty good. If I can get Strange's combos down I'm considering this one.

Teams I'm considering:

Firebrand/Task (horizontal arrows)/Wesker - Arrows help firebrand, task is within my execution level, this is a forerunner right now.

Firebrand/Cap/Wesker - I haven't tried Cap yet, but he seems quite buffed. Not sure how his assists would function with Firebrand though.

I'd love some recommendations.

this might be a silly idea, but I watched some guys playing Firebrand the other day and they were getting rocked by Striders assist. Have you considered something like Doom's hidden missiles or Taskmaster's vertical arrows to cover you in the air and help you get in? I don't know how it would work, just thought about it earliar on.

Hmmm, I'm at a bit of a block here.

I know I'm using Wesker, Hawkeye and Strider for on team.

I'm trying to make a Dormammu team now. Want to have Dorm on point, with Strider on anchor (Vajra assist is way too good).

Any advice on a second character for that team GAF?
A beam, a screen-filler, or Morrigan. Personally, I have not looked back from Dark Harmonizer since the day I tried it out.

Morrigan x Dormammu are BFFs, it's just that no one but me (and some of my opponents) knows it yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom