• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khal_B

Dahbomb, what's the verdict on mashing during Vergil's Dimension Slash? The damage is so random that I've just stopped mashing during that hyper altogether.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb, what's the verdict on mashing during Vergil's Dimension Slash? The damage is so random that I've just stopped mashing during that hyper altogether.
The verdict is that if you can avoid it... do Spiral Sword combos instead for better more consistent damage, some meter regained afterwards and much better OKI and potential follow ups/resets. Especially for DHCs.

There will be positions where you have have to use Dimension Slash. I find that cancelling too early nets me less damage after Rising Hightime. Character size has a huge role in damage output... it does more damage against larger characters. From certain position of the screen (just like Phantom Dance) it also does more damage. In certain conditions it does insane damage but in others it does paltry damage.

Once people get the hang of Spiral Sword combos... Dimension Slash will see less and less usage. Someone like Wesker doesn't have any other option for LVL1 hyper but Vergil does and his other option is almost always better.

Khal_B

Cool, thanks for the info. Agreed with the Spiral Sword combos, right now after Spiral Sword activation I do Lunar phase, round trip, cr.H, Judgement Cut, Lunar Phase, Lunar Phase, Hightime into DS. I tend to only use DS at the end when going for the kill.

There will be positions where you have have to use Dimension Slashand you HAVE to mash it for good damage. .

This is what I've been trying to figure out, when is it ideal to mash during DS? I swear sometimes I get less damage mashing DS than not mashing it mid screen, but this could just be the randomness of the hyper coming into play. Sometimes you get 830k damage, and sometimes it goes all the way to 900k.

Dahbomb

I don't even think Vergil's hyper is mashable but I mash it out of habit now anyway.

Agreed with the Spiral Sword combos, right now after Spiral Sword activation I do Lunar phase, round trip, cr.H, Judgement Cut, Lunar Phase, Lunar Phase, Hightime into DS.
That's probably the most optimized combo during Spiral Sword that I know of currently. You are definitely doing it right.

Burning Water

Neo Member
The verdict is that if you can avoid it... do Spiral Sword combos instead for better more consistent damage, some meter regained afterwards and much better OKI and potential follow ups/resets. Especially for DHCs.

There will be positions where you have have to use Dimension Slash. I find that cancelling too early nets me less damage after Rising Hightime. Character size has a huge role in damage output... it does more damage against larger characters. From certain position of the screen (just like Phantom Dance) it also does more damage. In certain conditions it does insane damage but in others it does paltry damage.

Once people get the hang of Spiral Sword combos... Dimension Slash will see less and less usage. Someone like Wesker doesn't have any other option for LVL1 hyper but Vergil does and his other option is almost always better.

Vergil user in his infancy, but I've noticed good results in damage/hits when using Trick M before High Time to Dimension Slash and mashing. I use a stick, but I'd like to think that pad users can get similar mileage when mashing.

Khal_B

I don't even think Vergil's hyper is mashable but I mash it out of habit now anyway.

Really? I did not know this. Well I guess that explains why I seem to get nothing out of mashing during the hyper.

That's probably the most optimized combo during Spiral Sword that I know of currently. You are definitely doing it right.

You can add cr. H before the last two Lunar Phases for additional meter gain, but I find that it makes the combo more difficult than it needs to be. Right now, anyway.

Dahbomb

Chun Li has a glitch like that in vanilla MVC3. Basically Nova started the combo and after the flight ended, he started a new combo. But it still registered as part of the old combo so it's a glitch.

Vergil user in his infancy, but I've noticed good results in damage/hits when using Trick M before High Time to Dimension Slash and mashing. I use a stick, but I'd like to think that pad users can get similar mileage when mashing.
That is of course one of the ways to get more damage out of it. It's the same with Wesker, if you teleport and switch sides then do Low Gun shot into THC Phantom Dance it does more damage.

Azure J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9AYmvYEzg&feature=feedu

Desk made another combo video yay. How did that Nova combo do so much damage? o_O

That entire Firebrand segment in the early part of the video is straight up WOMBOOOOOOOOOOO COMBOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yo, wtf @ Magneto in the Desk video. This isn't even Mahvel anymore. It's smash bros 64.

wtfffff

Man, you are seriously one of my favorite posters for this. :lol

Smash 64 brokenness is best brokenness.

Burning Water

Neo Member
That is of course one of the ways to get more damage out of it. It's the same with Wesker, if you teleport and switch sides then do Low Gun shot into THC Phantom Dance it does more damage.

When you say "one of the ways," do you know other consistent ways? I'm still in the early stages of learning Vergil, so I'd like to learn as much as possible.

Dahbomb

I thought Morrigan already had the market cornered in Wombo Combos.

When you say "one of the ways," do you know other consistent ways? I'm still in the early stages of learning Vergil, so I'd like to learn as much as possible.
I am trying to figure it out myself as well at this point but character size definitely seems to be a factor. Others are height which is controlled by how when you cancel during Rising Hightime. I think lower height does more damage but don't quote me on that. Doing it mid screen does the most damage as well just like Phantom Dance. Also does more damage earlier in the combo due to less scaling.

Burning Water

Neo Member
Good to know. I'm probably trying to run before I crawl, but I've been trying to mess with Round Trip in combos. Right now I've been charging L when I know I won't use it for the rest of the combo, but I know you can transfer the charge to M and H mid combo without releasing Round Trip. Any suggestions?

I am trying to figure it out myself as well at this point but character size definitely seems to be a factor. Others are height which is controlled by how when you cancel during Rising Hightime. I think lower height does more damage but don't quote me on that. Doing it mid screen does the most damage as well just like Phantom Dance. Also does more damage earlier in the combo due to less scaling.

On a related note, we know that Vergil physically moves around the screen during Dimension Slash and can get hit out of it similar to Phantom Dance. I first noticed this when I was trying to DHC out of Dimension Slash; if you DHC too early your input for the 2nd character's super will sometimes be reversed because Vergil crossed them up. I don't know what the exact movement pattern is though since we don't see Vergil during the super. Is he simply teleporting from location to location, bouncing off the walls like Wesker, or something else?

Dahbomb

He's porting all over the place, it's counted as projectiles rather than physical hits. If you X factor out of it he will appear at some random portion of the screen sometimes close to the opponent sometimes far away.

For Round Trip charging if you are doing it on stick just slide buttons. It takes practice but it's like Zero's Buster charging. I am on pad and one of my triggers is L and one is H depending on what I need to charge. I almost always charge L unless I need to do like a Judgment Cut L or something.

questions for vergil users:

currently running vergil/hawkeye/spencer while trying to learn vergil. right now i've only got the bnb into ds from the guide down, but what is the best combo to learn utilizing spiral swords, and it's best hit confirm?

i'm also thinking about either changing my order or dropping hawkeye all together (spencer being my main since vanilla). any suggestions? i have some knowledge of playing ryu, hulk, sentinel, deadpool, and taskmaster (the latter two somewhat minimally)...but i kind of want to learn a new character instead.

Nori Chan

You guys get pissed off of deadpool? Glad I use him lol

And isnt the point of taunting to rile up your opponent and to piss him off? Which would make make more mistakes.

I know when I play COD I only teabag when a player deserves it. I.E he's sitting in a corner and I beat him. That's when the bag comes out.

Dahbomb

currently running vergil/hawkeye/spencer while trying to learn vergil. right now i've only got the bnb into ds from the guide down, but what is the best combo to learn utilizing spiral swords, and it's best hit confirm?.
Team is fine, Spencer sets up some dirty stuff with Vergil especially in the corner. Frantic has that technology covered so it seems.

I use an OTG or Nova assist to set up Spiral Sword combos. You can do it after a ground bounce/wall bounce rather easily or any mid combo confirm off of Judgment Cut. Start off a combo with Spiral sword is sub-optimum, you want to do it mid combo or at the end.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
This is bull shit. Whenever I go into player match people actually know what they were doing. I miss being able to fuck people up with my "Amateur" account. It was relaxing.

This is bull shit. Whenever I go into player match people actually know what they were doing. I miss being able to fuck people up with my "Amateur" account. It was relaxing.

I know what you mean. More than anything, I would like to use Player Matches to learn new set ups and see what works. Instead, I'm met with people who are only in it to win. Same tactic over and over and over and over... I'm looking at you, Weskers. /salt

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Look at the leaderboards. There are some few 30,000 accounts that've played on Xbox LIVE. Guaranteed, the small pool who bothered to buy it during the Skyrim/MW3/ACR bombardment are hardcore.

Frantic

Chun Li has a glitch like that in vanilla MVC3. Basically Nova started the combo and after the flight ended, he started a new combo. But it still registered as part of the old combo so it's a glitch.
Just as reference, the video maker explained the glitch in this video. From Desk's description, he's using the same glitch.

currently running vergil/hawkeye/spencer while trying to learn vergil. right now i've only got the bnb into ds from the guide down, but what is the best combo to learn utilizing spiral swords, and it's best hit confirm?
Team is fine, but I would switch Hawkeye's place with Spencer. Spencer benefits a LOT with a projectile backing him up.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I know what you mean. More than anything, I would like to use Player Matches to learn new set ups and see what works. Instead, I'm met with people who are only in it to win. Same tactic over and over and over and over... I'm looking at you, Weskers. /salt

Wouldn't you want to test what works against people who are trying to win?

Player match is the new ranked?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Not Day 1 stuff. Even when I connected, I was still getting used to the combos, so it would drop mid-way.

The best place for that to happen is in Player Matches, though, where your drop could potentially mean a dead character. You could always just pair up with a friend and specify that you're going for sub teams or new characters only.

If you're testing what works and doesn't work in a combo, that stuff can be done in training mode.

The best place for that to happen is in Player Matches, though, where your drop could potentially mean a dead character. You could always just pair up with a friend and specify that you're going for sub teams or new characters only.

If you're testing what works and doesn't work in a combo, that stuff can be done in training mode.

I know, I'm just whining. On the other end of the spectrum, I also run into people who have NO idea what they're doing. They would mash and then they would suddenly go into x-factor for no reason. These people would learn NOTHING from the matches. Give and take.

Dahbomb

Yeah I thought it was the same glitch. Good thing is that it shouldn't be possible in live match situations because it involves the other player actually holding forward during the combo.

I know, I'm just whining. On the other end of the spectrum, I also run into people who have NO idea what they're doing. They would mash and then they would suddenly go into x-factor for no reason. These people would learn NOTHING from the matches. Give and take.

Who knows, maybe they actually do learn something from it. Enjoy your punching bag.

this is a good thing. i don't like facing people who don't play properly because it's just not fun. when i do face someone who doesn't play properly, i feel bad for just leaving so i end up playing various troll teams to entertain myself.

flying to the top of the screen with modok and using jamming bomb was great in vanilla. but my new thing in umvc3 is laying a bunch of trish traps and running around with storm using fair/foul wind. hmmmm... just thought of something, i should try ammy slow super spam with morrigan meter assist.

OK, I'm gonna try out some Vergil spinny sword combos.

Edit: What's, like, the easiest spiral sword combo? I gotta start somewhere. Isn't there a way to just do Lunar Phases?

shaowebb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9AYmvYEzg&feature=feedu

Desk made another combo video yay. How did that Nova combo do so much damage? o_O

V0zzA.gif

God Desk is amazing...

Lothars

Ugh this game.

This game is not a good game to learn an arcade stick with.

I don't think it's a bad game to learn with an arcade stick, I learned how to play it with an arcade stick and I know I am not very good but I love using an arcade stick now.

zlatko

Banned
That glitch looks like that old meme with the little weasel/gerbel/hamster where he looks back over his shoulder to give you the dramatic stare down.

Guesong

I did it with vanilla. What's giving you trouble?

Everything.

Granted, I'm not an expert on Arcade Stick usage yet (and I'm maining Iron Fist just to forcefully learn to properly do Hadouken/Shoryuken motions), but compared to slower paced games like SFIV, MVC3 is a nightmare to learn with.

Wavedashing, tri-dash, super long combos. It doesn't help that the CPU is basically psychic and mostly block any rushdown you try 80 % of the time and knows the precise timing of invulnability frames and such, adding to the frustration.

I'd do fine if I just stuck around training mode with an immobile dummy but in a real game where shit fly everywhere...I really miss my controller.

Who knows, maybe I'd do better online where there's no psychics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom