• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR2K

Banned
What a fucking stupid character that Wesker is. Hawkeye is pretty fucking dumb too. The nerf patches are going to be delicious.

Dahbomb

A lot happened with Dorm since vanilla. One of the most buffed characters in the game.

MastaCJ doesn't even use near the potential of this character. So many options on Dorm MastaCJ never uses.

Road

Yeah I know, but whenever I've tried to apply it, it's either too slow and gets stuffed before it comes out or when it does work it puts me in an awkward position or yet another scenario it goes through some of the projectiles I"m countering but then bumps into the latter half of whatever that was. I'm used to X-23's blast through everything hyper, so it really feels off most of the time I try it.
Oh, I don't think the start up (don't know how many frames) is invincible, yeah. You'll just have to evaluate the situation (countering Spell of Vishanti on reaction, for instance, not feasible). After it comes out, you'll just have to control it properly (H + direction). Some try the first hit, and if it doesn't work, then they try to fly away instead of trying to hit again just to be safer. Can't help more than that.

Dahbomb

Hawkeye is the best zoner in this game. But he is still not top 5. He has weaknesses and the player playing Hawkeye still has to know what he's doing and use the appropriate arrow at the right time. Thing about Hawkeye is that you are already a bad match up against him if you don't have a teleport or a fast projectile, he bodies the air dashers pretty hard especially Doom and Iron Man.

I want ChrisG to use the st.M more. That button is godlike, it crushes low attacks. It's like a sword normal or some shit.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I don't think the start up (don't know how many frames) is invincible, yeah. You'll just have to evaluate the situation (countering Spell of Vishanti on reaction, for instance, not feasible). After it comes out, you'll just have to control it properly (H + direction). Some try the first hit, and if it doesn't work, then they try to fly away instead of trying to hit again just to be safer. Can't help more than that.

I know all that, my main issue is I still don't really know what I can punish and what I can't and having to think about it mid-match often slows down my reaction time on things I probably can punish. May just need some more experience with it, but when I connect I also don't really know how to follow up for more damage because I generally don't know where I will end up after the third hit. Having to press a button for each hit rather than just steering it thrice also makes it feel a tad more awkward than your average hyper. Should maybe try X-Factor canceling it into a hit confirm for a larger combo.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Nice stuff in the finals there. It is kind of sad that ChrisG runs like hell back to Wesker whenever he gets into trouble though.

Dahbomb

Nice stuff in the finals there. It is kind of sad that ChrisG runs like hell back to Wesker whenever he gets into trouble though.
Which is weird since his win/ratio with Firebrand on his team is about as good. But I can certainly understand why, on his team Wesker on point rules thanks to triple arrow.

The problem with his team is that Firebrand doesn't fit well, he has no good assist aside triple arrow to get his game going. He needs a lock down assist to get his unblockable shenanigans going. ChrisG talked about this at WakeUp SRK.

I think Firebrand is a phenomenal character in UMVC3.

Road

I know all that, my main issue is I still don't really know what I can punish and what I can't and having to think about it mid-match often slows down my reaction time on things I probably can punish. May just need some more experience with it, but when I connect I also don't really know how to follow up for more damage because I generally don't know where I will end up after the third hit. Having to press a button for each hit rather than just steering it thrice also makes it feel a tad more awkward than your average hyper. Should maybe try X-Factor canceling it into a hit confirm for a larger combo.
Then you know more about it than me. haha

What I said people don't use it properly was about watching some recent streams where people don't even try to use it to counter simple situations where they'd have a very high chance of succeeding (like the example I posted). Or maybe everyone already decided it is not worth it anyway (my opinion is of a scrub).

Dahbomb

Best zoning character with one of the best rush down tools in the game. It would be like giving Sim Geif like health.
If you are still salty about that slide... I don't know what to say. There are way worse things in the game than that. The slide is used for whiff punishing, not for rushing down with Hawkeye... you can't rushdown with it because it only leads into his unsafe launcher or his trick shot which doesn't lead into heavy damage itself.

Something like the best rushdown/point character having the best projectile in the game... which converts into touch of death combos while providing double cross up opportunities. Or a hyper that buffs up damage and speed permanently with no cost while randomly crossing up for 400K damage raw.

DR2K

Banned
If you are still salty about that slide... I don't know what to say. There are way worse things in the game than that. The slide is used for whiff punishing, not for rushing down with Hawkeye... you can't rushdown with it because it only leads into his unsafe launcher or his trick shot which doesn't lead into heavy damage itself.

Something like the best rushdown/point character having the best projectile in the game... which converts into touch of death combos while providing double cross up opportunities. Or a hyper that buffs up damage and speed permanently with no cost while randomly crossing up for 400K damage raw.

It's dumb, broken, too good, and he shouldn't have it if he's designed to play keep away.

Yeah, but enough about Wesker.

I don't get why people are all up in arms about Dormammu being "so good now" after seeing CJ's teleport mix-ups. Those are like day 1 Vanilla stuff.

On the note of Hawkeye, what really makes him crazy is being able to fire arrows with a normal. There's only one other character in this game who can fire projectiles with a normal, and there's a good reason for it - it's overpowered as hell, conceptually, to be able to call assists during a projectile attack.

Dahbomb

By that logic, Arthur shouldn't have an instant dive move because he's supposed to play keep away only.

LOL @ slide being broken. Stay salty my friend.

There's only one other character in this game who can fire projectiles with a normal, and there's a good reason for it - it's overpowered as hell, conceptually, to be able to call assists during a projectile attack.
Dorm can, Chris can, Wesker can and Frank West can. So can Doom with j.H.

Grecco

Hawkeye is preatty stupid yeah. Was watching Justins stream today he said if Wesker gets nerfed everybody will jump on the Hawkeye bandwagon

I don't get why people are all up in arms about Dormammu being "so good now" after seeing CJ's teleport mix-ups. Those are like day 1 Vanilla stuff.

On the note of Hawkeye, what really makes him crazy is being able to fire arrows with a normal. There's only one other character in this game who can fire projectiles with a normal, and there's a good reason for it - it's overpowered as hell, conceptually, to be able to call assists during a projectile attack.

Who's up in arms? Just giving props to CJ for a sick Dorm, blowing people up.

Some top EC players getting owned by day 1 stuff then, hehe.

I don't remember seeing him do that a lot on the streams in vanilla though (I think the 8 on break streams?). I remember him doing lots of tri-jumping based offense.

I stopped watching those though, so maybe he changed up.

Doesn't FChamp play with Dorm/Mags in his team? He should starting doing this shit against that Gonzo guy.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Actually glad I started doing some missions. Learned how to actually combo with Ryu's denjin mode now. Before I thought it was a waste of meter, but now that I can actually gain a full meter during the mode it's not a problem. My new Ryu bnb does 820-865k with 2 meters, but since you gain meter in denjin mode you only need to have 1 meter to start with. If I dhc with it it will do about 1 million damage. Also it looks boss.

Actually glad I started doing some missions. Learned how to actually combo with Ryu's denjin mode now. Before I thought it was a waste of meter, but now that I can actually gain a full meter during the mode it's not a problem. My new Ryu bnb does 820-865k with 2 meters, but since you gain meter in denjin mode you only need to have 1 meter to start with. If I dhc with it it will do about 1 million damage. Also it looks boss.

do you do the spinny kick with the lightning?

Damn, what I get for watching VGA for previews.

Gonna have to watch the archive later. Want to see some of Chris G's Hawkeye tricks.

OT: MGR is the new DMC. Platinum games is doing it. And it looked sweet.

Dahbomb

MGR looks ok, I have to see the direct footage. The leaked footage didn't look too hot, footage was very rough.

The game has reused animations from Bayonetta and is on the same engine as other PG games. I hope it's 60FPS though. Definitely on my radar.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
do you do the spinny kick with the lightning?

Yes. It's very pretty.

The combo I use isn't anything spectacular but it's very easy. I'm sure there are better combos out there that use denjin mode more effectively.

L M H f.H Jodan (L if it's in the corner H elsewhere)xx Hado Kakusei (wavedash if midscreen) M H f.H TatsuL M H f.H S j.M j.M j.H j.S Otg assist Shin tatsumaki

DR2K

Banned
LOL @ slide being broken. Stay salty my friend.

Eh, I've moved on to better things, definitely more of a party game now. You're right there are dumber things than the best zoning character getting great rush down tools, which is why no one should take this game seriously.

Dahbomb

So Chris G raped everybody? Huh. Who DIDN'T see that coming?
In the stream chat they asked everyone who was going to win, I said ChrisG.

That didn't mean I thought he was going to win because this is single elimination and at that the time it was thought to be 2/3... but I seriously think he's the best in New York.

Eh, I've moved on to better things, definitely more of a party game now.
I am genuinely happy for you.

On the record... I respect Noel Brown's play in UMVC3.

*Goes for more snap backs than any other player I have seen. Likes to kill anchor and team synergy.

*Knows how to decently play Frank West although he can be much better with him. Unless other Frank's he at least doesn't drop his LVL up combos.

*Doesn't play Dark Wesker, plays him at 2nd spot.

*Plays a legit Wolverine, knows the Fatal Claw loop, IOs consistently and has upgraded his mix ups. I still think PR has the better Wolverine.

I don't knock Noel for using low execution teams. He does good with them. Glad he is starting to prove that he isn't a fraud.

Use what you are good with. If you can't use high execution chars, play the hell out of low execution chars and play smart.

Dahbomb

GAF what is your opinion on Hawkeye as anchor?

Just to get some discussion going. There is considerable debate over this topic.

LMAO @ this player stats. Where did they get this stuff?

Interestingly enough a simply labeled "win percentage" would have been a lot more simpler, easier, and more useful stat. They may have had a stat which may or may not have essentially been the same thing as a win percentage, but shit if I noticed it.

But, credit for to Sp00ky for trying to flesh things out further. But there is no need for baseball sabremetrics, just keep it simple

Dahbomb

I don't understand those stats at all.

What's offense? How many point characters the person has killed? And defense is how many he has lost or something?

I think he is a good one due to how many damn projectiles he fires off and random grab equals to TOD with XF3.
IMO because he isn't a rushdown/mix up character he doesn't get enough credit for being a good anchor.

He only loses to a handful of anchors like Wesker (because once Wesker is teleporting around and Hawkeye has no meter, he is toast). Other than that, Hawkeye has solid enough match ups to win against characters and that air throw game allows him to get throws because the opponent is way too scared to press buttons against Hawkeye. They whiff something he can do an arrow loop, slide into death or Gimlet. He is also pretty good at cock blocking other anchors from making come backs.

Viscant pretty much announced that if the opposite team has Hawkeye down the order he isn't playing his Phoenix team.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh my god...
NOEL WITH THAT DISRESPECTFUL CHUG OF THE 40 BEFORE PERFECTING NERDJOSH. The look on Josh's face.. PRICELESS.

Dis gun b good.

Funny shit is all his quotes that depict him as an ass will be used to describe him if he makes it to the top five.

WILL. BE. FUNNY.

When Hawkeye wins, the commentators need to say one of his win quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom