• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cels

In vanilla if your assist was hit by a beam hyper they would take A LOT more damage from it if your point character was blocking than if your point character was getting hit as well. Is this the same in Ultimate?

(I don't have the game, would test this myself if I could)

I put a bunch of time in the lab and found out the following in reference to my assist question:

Viable for original "need" (with notes):
Firebrand
Ghostrider (either)
Doom (hit during S, as noted by God's Beard, concerns about the number of hits making it much harder to follow up afterwards)
Viper (surprise, but seismo bounces them so fucking high it works)
Wesker (apparently team trenchcoat with herpderp level 4 IS the greatest :lol)
Hulk (only works in corner, because gamma wave sends them full screen, so they're not close enough to connect the first lunar phase.)
Iron Fist (timing seems *REALLY* tight... I wanted to learn him though and maybe if I used him on point, I could use the meter/damage chi to put in work -- with vergil's rapid slash to get in, it might be managable?)
Dormammu (probably the guy I have the most experience with, but the timing is oh so tight... not sure the application is worth the execution yet)
Iron Man (he's very high execution, as I understand and I don't remember having a good time trying him out in vanilla.)

Didn't work (at least in the corner, where I was generally testing):
Hawkeye (either -- poison arrow missed, so did the vertical shot. a shame, I was really wanting to use him)
Taskmaster (similar to hawkeye, doesn't work in corner)
Akuma (misses in corner or not fast enough to come out after helm breaker)
Shuma (seems to be a couple frame too late to pick them up or I'm unable to get it out early enough)
Arthur (too slow)
Chris (tried grenade on the off chance it might OTG, it didn't)
Trish (was hoping her hopscotch would catch OTG... when it didn't I tried peekaboo as a catch after high time but need to put more research into it as it was late and I might not have been cancelling high time into trick to get to the ground faster.)
Skrull (Stone Smite didn't work well for some reason, but when I changed to tenderizer, I was easily able to do what I was trying to above with Trish; the opponent stays caught in skrull assist long enough for high time to reach the ground again and throw a lunar phase out.)
Chun (after seeing Trish and Skrull, I thought maybe the legs assist could work like that, but I don't remember anything good coming out of testing her for my application.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In vanilla if your assist was hit by a beam hyper they would take A LOT more damage from it if your point character was blocking than if your point character was getting hit as well. Is this the same in Ultimate?

(I don't have the game, would test this myself if I could)

I think that's more on the case of number of hits being smaller (thus having less damage scaled).

...I kinda miss throw being comboable and allowing them to "reset" hits like in TvC. Imagine if She Hulk could do that (like make her air throw doable in air too).

Execution isn't just combos, it's also executing a game plan and controlling the character on the screen. It's why Strange is considered high execution as well as Iron Man.

By the way, I changed my mind about Iron Man. I think he's worse now. Sure his combos are easier now and dash canceling helps him get in, but his shit ass air dashes with the block nerf are an issue, no double jump is a huge issue for the same reason, and most importantly, he can't confirm off of air throws like he used to with bombs and dash j2H. I was willing to overlook the other issues until I realized how shit his air throws are now.

If they changed his 2H to fire directly forwards, I'd say fine, he's his own character. But as it is, he's not as good as magneto at rushing down and not as good as doom at keeping away. Repulsor Blast is pretty much the only thing separating him from the rest of the cast. His beam assist just isn't good enough for me to justify having him on a team, and he's my favorite Marvel character.

Wesker (apparently team trenchcoat with herpderp level 4 IS the greatest :lol)

Dante and Vergil are infinitely better anchors than Wesker...

Friends don't let friends keep Wesker in the back.

kunonabi

It's getting hard to stick with Frank on my Spidey/Nemesis team. He looks so much better paired with my Tron/Morrigan team. I'm going need to seriously look into changing my teams to Tron/Frank/Morrigan, Phoenix/Nemesis/Spidey, and Chris/Trish/Strange

The thing is I don't think Phoenix/Nemesis/Spidey makes much sense as a team at all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
just saw weird glitch today which is mindblown to me and my friend.

MY friend was using nova and he performed one special move in air so I decided to use golden armor as hsien ko then dhc into spiderman's qcf + AA. Max Spiderman, I think.

Then when the Max-Spiderman scene ended then my assist, hsien ko decided to do hyper as well, which is Chireitou. (during when I am spider-man)

It was free DHC (technically) and free 1 bar.

Dahbomb

IM's air throw is fine, the timing is different. You can even tri-dash to the ground, land and then do Smart Bombs in some cases.

Air dash nerf plus no blocking hurts him a ton in this game. But the new air dashes plus on the ground slide gives him more opportunities to throw surprisingly. I am still on the fence about Iron Man. I just recently discovered a super easy combo with IM that does 750K solo that anyone can do.

It's just ground series, air H, delay d+H, delay S, land Smart Bombs, relaunch with cr.M, S, air series, Smart Bombs Proton Cannon.

Also I still maintain that IM has higher ranged normals than both Doom and Magneto and it's harder for them to approach IM due to Repulsor Blast/Spread. It's also why IM can actually handle the best character Zero decently well because of it (still is a bad match up). To be honest the game has been out for a month and not even the SRK IM folks know if he's better or worse. Opinions change on IM on a daily basis.

Arrow bro team is annoying. If there was another arrow character, it would be right up there with team trenchcoats.

Guys I'm at a standstill. I'm kind of clueless as to what I should be working on to get better at this game. What are some general things to always be improving on? Pretty mad at my tournament outting yesterday, went 2-2, when I felt like I could have won it all, but apparently I'm not even close to being in the victor's circle yet!

I play storm/wolverine/sentinel. Right now the biggest thing I can think of is timing my assist call, and air attack appropriately to get the opponent to fall into the drones and have to block my mixup. Not on a character entrance, but just in the midst of a match.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
that's what I had in my mind and

do anyone care about new glitches or engine issues because it seem that no one care atm due to many issuses I guess?

I follow the glitch thread on SRK, hoping one of my characters has bs to try out, before the patch. lol. Desk probably has his hands full with the amount of silly shit they allowed to sneak through this time around.

Bo/Bow was in my mind as well..........

As was Krauser from RE with his bow.

All I can think of right now.

And we know a patch is coming for the glitches, so why we seem not too worried about it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Iron Man can suck my ass and blow a big brown bubble......... So dumb what they've done to him.......

I h8 new Iron Man.
The lack of double jump is REALLY hurting him. I see no reason why to take it out other than making Cap look better by comparison. It wouldn't have made Iron Man stupid overpowered :/

I run IM anchor, feels bad man.

Quick, Capcom add an arrow user on your side.

So we can have team arrow.

DO IT!
fuck

that

shit
The lack of double jump is REALLY hurting him. I see no reason why to take it out other than making Cap look better by comparison. It wouldn't have made Iron Man stupid overpowered :/

I run IM anchor, feels bad man.
Pretty much it right there, but it's no so bad as long as you get lucky when you are deciding favorites.

Edit: Oh shit! I'm me again!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
fuck

that

shit

Pretty much it right there, but it's no so bad as long as you get lucky when you are deciding favorites.

Edit: Oh shit! I'm me again!

Yea...this game doesn't need anyone else with arrows. They should add Jean Reno from Oni instead. He has a trench-coat and a gun. Let's go all the way OP.

Dahbomb

Even if IM had a double jump it wouldn't solve his problems. How does double jump help you get in?

I play storm/wolverine/sentinel. Right now the biggest thing I can think of is timing my assist call, and air attack appropriately to get the opponent to fall into the drones and have to block my mixup. Not on a character entrance, but just in the midst of a match.
No assist on that team that helps Wolverine pick up characters after an air throw. You should look into that. Just call assist first then Berserker Slash them into the drones. Storm should always be second on that team for the DHC into Hail. Anytime you hear/see the opponent call out the assist, Berserker Charge into Hailstorm (or HSF if you have more meter) into XF for profit.

Which character do you guys think is strongest in lv2 X-Factor, among top team configurations?
Vergil because not only is the 2nd spot his most optimum placement, he gains better X factor bonuses than Wesker. With Devil Trigger, he essentially has a LVL3 XF at that spot.

Nova, Spencer, Wesker, Doom, Dorm, Chris, Dante, Frank West, Taskmaster, Thor, Hulk, Haggar, Sentinel, Wolverine, Akuma all have strong X factor LVL2s. Wolverine in particular is noteworthy because in LVL1 he has below average X factor bonus (125% damage) where as in LVL2 he has above average bonus at 155% (better than Wesker's).

LakeEarth

Whoo hate mail!

Pengu104 wrote:

"never playing u again cause you use hidden missles you desperate piece of shit L2P"

I told him I'd pick a different team without hidden missles. I then picked my Wesker/Doom (beam)/Strider team and raped him. Feels good man.

To be fair he beat me twice.

Kimosabae

Banned
Even if IM had a double jump it wouldn't solve his problems. How does double jump help you get in?

He'd be able to take better advantage of Lockdown Assists and make his approach less obvious. It'd also make the bigger posterior hitbox on his j. S worth a damn. He's way too linear as is. His approach is similar to Viper's - except it's trash.

Jump S, though. I'm finding solace and (some) success in it.

LakeEarth

Followup:

"so you pick wesker are you serious no are you serious? thanks for reinforcing my statement dumbass"

I just responded "then just tell me who to pick next time". I mean jeez, I put Wesker on point.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
When I complain about Iron Man's mobility it's mostly about his new air dash. There was still no reason to change either of them. Did Capcom think Iron Man was too good or something?

Kimosabae

Banned
Was there really even a reason to change Iron Man's mobility?

Exactly.

Yes and no. I've been saying since before this game came out that Vanilla Iron Man unchanged in Ultimate would be OP and I'm starting see other IM players echoing that sentiment on SRK. A character with that kind of mobility and capacity to hit that hard would be OP in this game, regardless of execution the requirements. Iron Man's popularity would grow exponentially, especially if the whole Wesker stuff dies down. That's the only sense that makes me glad he's nerfed. Now, only the people that are truly dedicated to the character are playing him.

Dahbomb

He'd be able to take better advantage of Lockdown Assists and make his approach less obvious. It'd also make the bigger posterior hitbox on his j. S worth a damn. He's way too linear as is. His approach is similar to Viper's - except it's trash.

Jump S, though. I'm finding solace and (some) success in it.
I guess you are right.

Having a double jump does help in certain areas but I would much rather have his old air dash speed back and have a fully cancellable ground dash. It would complete him as a character.

When I complain about Iron Man's mobility it's mostly about his new air dash. There was still no reason to change either of them. Did Capcom think Iron Man was too good or something?
According to Capcom he was being slept on.

They changed his air dash speeds to make him look and play more like Iron Man would play. That's basically what they said.

If Iron Man had the same speed of air dash as before AND had a cancellable ground dash he would put Magneto in retirement. IM in UMVC3 would have better ranged normals, more durable/better beam assist, equivalent or better high/low mix ups, overall higher damage in output, better health, faster flight, around the same overall speed, better anti-air special etc. Magneto would only have the edge in having a slide, easier hit confirms, faster full screen projectile, special moves that change opponent position/momentum and a superior LVL3.

As of right now, both Magneto and Doom outclass Iron Man in generally everything except damage out put and priority on normals.

Guys I'm at a standstill. I'm kind of clueless as to what I should be working on to get better at this game. What are some general things to always be improving on? Pretty mad at my tournament outting yesterday, went 2-2, when I felt like I could have won it all, but apparently I'm not even close to being in the victor's circle yet!

how good is your movement with storm and sent? specifically flying/unflying. also i think storms lightning attack is underrated/underused, and makes up for her mediocre buttons. i think learning how to hit confirm off a lightning attack into full combo would be a great asset.

Frantic

Whoo hate mail!

Pengu104 wrote:

"never playing u again cause you use hidden missles you desperate piece of shit L2P"

I told him I'd pick a different team without hidden missles. I then picked my Wesker/Doom (beam)/Strider team and raped him. Feels good man.

To be fair he beat me twice.
I've been getting a surprisingly lack of hate mail in this game. In fact, I've been getting actual polite mail. GGs, compliments, and even some people sending amused messages over certain things I've done...

I need to take my trolling Chris/Doom/Sent team into Ranked, I guess.

Kimosabae

Banned
I guess you are right.

Having a double jump does help in certain areas but I would much rather have his old air dash speed back and have a fully cancellable ground dash. It would complete him as a character.

No doubt. I think Capcom just placed a priority on playstyle over competitiveness when it came to Iron Man. As we're starting to get a better grasp of, Capcom's (and most Japanese FG developers) balancing decisions make much more sense when considered outside the context of competitiveness. I don't think Capcom wants every character to be competitive and their idea of "balance" differs from what tournament players value - we want 'competitive' balance. I think Capcom simply wants to balance the spectrum of consumer interests.

According to Capcom he was being slept on.

And moi. ;)

But yeah, I couldn't sing that tune with a straight face in this game if I wanted to.

Dahbomb

I think Capcom simply wants to balance the spectrum of consumer interests.
In plain terms, Capcom is balancing the game around mid level/online play.... for the most part and some consideration is given to high level play. At casuals, any character is "viable" or strong with a decent amount of effort and good synergy. I can wreck with IM in casuals. I can't take my IM to tournaments if I want to have a serious chance of winning... at least not at the level that I am with him right now.

This is pretty much why I think Wesker is going to get nerfed in the near future. He is a problem even at the casual/online level.

sephi22

A lot happened with Dorm since vanilla. One of the most buffed characters in the game.

MastaCJ doesn't even use near the potential of this character. So many options on Dorm MastaCJ never uses.

Yup.
Masta + Champ = Captain Dormammu Badass

Champ uses Dorm's liberations like no one else. Masta CJ with dat rushdown game

Some of you guys like getting hatemail from other players? Why?

It makes me sad for the other guy and it's disappointing, because of the ignorance, rudeness, stupidity, racism, what other negatives that run rampant online.

Nyoro SF

It makes me sad for the other guy and it's disappointing, because of the ignorance, rudeness, stupidity, racism, what other negatives that run rampant online.

You know, I have played fighting games online from the moment I got vanilla SF4, and I think I only got one piece of hate mail from SF4, MvC3, and UMvC3 combined.

I think some people actively try to make people mad which is juvenile, but whatever..

It's those same reasons that make hatemail so hilarious to me. The other person is SO ANGRY that they have to send you mail just to express themselves. Meanwhile, I didn't think too much about the match, so when I read it all I do is this:

BTxsW.gif

Frantic

It's those same reasons that make hatemail so hilarious to me. The other person is SO ANGRY that they have to send you mail just to express themselves. Meanwhile, I didn't think too much about the match, so when I read it all I do is this:

BTxsW.gif
Pretty much this. I really don't actively hunt for hate mail - any time I say that it's usually just jokingly - but anyone who gets so riled up and angry over a video game that they resort to biggotry and insults is laughable to me.

shaowebb

Holy shit what did I just see!?
Semester just ended so I came home to FINALLY play some Marvel online. I run into a guy running Rocket Raccoon/MODOK/Storm and his Rocket Raccoon was GODLY.

He would use Storm sparingly to buy time to place like a trap or two. Nothing much, but then he would call Jamming Bomb from MODOK and create these insane Mixups. You couldn't jump or you'd get bombed and if you didn't he simply digged behind you anyways when he called it and when it got near you'd get mixedup. If he didn't do this he'd simply Mess with you to corner you using whirlwind and crH and calling Pendulum if you made it past that. Occassionally if I got cornered he'd put a jamming bomb and go low. On my last guy he had traps out, digged and called jamming bomb The traps were low, he was doing standing stuff and bomb was coming. Holy shit was I confused.

Craziest thing was when he killed Iron Fist he did it by magic series and after spitfire OTG I got hit with Jamming bomb to keep me in the combo for him to extend it into more shit. If anyone sees this team again tell me anything you can because that shit was beautiful. Its like most times there were no options left. I'm not even sure I could use a teleporter as good as he was with Pendulum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom