• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting a surprisingly lack of hate mail in this game. In fact, I've been getting actual polite mail. GGs, compliments, and even some people sending amused messages over certain things I've done...

I need to take my trolling Chris/Doom/Sent team into Ranked, I guess.

Using Jean Grey still gets hate mail from people who never use a single snapback or side-TAC.

Azure J

You know, I think I still do want to run a Phoenix (JEEEEAN) team in Ultimate. Any suggestions, especially leading with Dante or Zero?

kunonabi

So is there any reason why Noel Brown's Wolverine/West level up DHC combo wouldn't work with Morrigan's astral vision in place of Wolvie's speed boost?

Xevren

How do I get in here? (it's keshstud btw, could you invite?)

Just do a search for any rank/region and anyone is welcome for type. It tends to fill up fast so you just have to get lucky. Doesn't help that hosts cant boot spectators though.

zlatko

Banned
I love my team. About the only character I've run into that gives me issues is Zero. Not sure how to crack him open with my Nova on point at the start of games, since my usual bag of tricks don't work on good Zero players.

I've made people rage quit on me so much it's delicious. Nothing is funner than when their team has no answers to zoning, because I'll just back off and chuck energy javelins while using triple burst assist with hawkeye. Once I see they are impatient to take to the sky, I hop in the air for a QCB + H with Nova, while hawkeye assist covers the ground.

<3 Nova so much in this game.

About the only thing that bugs me about this game is that matchmaking now that I hit 8th lord is awful. I pick same rank and get 5th lords instead. When that happens I get destroyed pretty easy if I'm not the one who gets the first hit. :/

beats what I have to put up with, I can try to pair up with someone the same rank as me and end up going against pros non stop, it helps me learn the game but damn is it annoying.

zlatko

Banned
I really like Storm. Does she work well with any combination of Doom/Nova/Hawkeye/Vergil?

Storm as far as I can tell fits on any team as on point or 2nd character. Less so as an anchor. Her Ice Hail hyper connects with pretty much everything if DHCed out of and in to.

You could do Nova on point, Storm 2nd, and Hawkeye for anchor.

Burning Water

Neo Member
Storm as far as I can tell fits on any team as on point or 2nd character. Less so as an anchor. Her Ice Hail hyper connects with pretty much everything if DHCed out of and in to.

You could do Nova on point, Storm 2nd, and Hawkeye for anchor.

I really wanna learn Storm this time around in Ultimate, as I was too occupied with Taskmaster, Iron Man, Thor, Deadpool, Morrigan, and Spencer in Vanilla. Right now, I got Storm on a team with Iron Fist, who I'd also like to learn, and Iron Man, and the order goes IF/Storm/IM. I'm also toying with the idea of replacing Iron Man with Thor. Tips?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Found a nice 1,000,000+ damage DHC combo with Spencer/Wesker/Magneto. Requires 5 bars, but it's fun as shit to do.

Start with Spencer, LMHS, super jump, MMH Wire Shot, land, Bionic Aaaaarm, DHC Maximum Wesker, DHC Gravity Squeeze.

The timing on the Bionic Aaaarm is really tight, as you have to hit it after Spencer lands, but before the opponent does.

zlatko

Banned
I really wanna learn Storm this time around in Ultimate, as I was too occupied with Taskmaster, Iron Man, Thor, Deadpool, Morrigan, and Spencer in Vanilla. Right now, I got Storm on a team with Iron Fist, who I'd also like to learn, and Iron Man, and the order goes IF/Storm/IM. I'm also toying with the idea of replacing Iron Man with Thor. Tips?

Iron Fist was the reason I bought the game. Love him, love his combos, but for the life of me I cannot open up a tuna can let alone a person online with him. Shit is so hard for me.

I've yet to actually see what IM as anchor with level 3 xfactor is capable of, but hopefully it's super easy stuff to confirm and tons of damage. I know his regular combos can be a bit tricky, and how his wave dash is a bit jacked up right?

If Thor was your anchor I'll be brutally honest that he's ass, and you'll work 100X harder than anyone with him as your last character. Thor is semi decent with assists backing him up, but by himself he can really struggle. On the other hand his damage is massive so if he does hit someone in level 3 he can destroy probably before even having to waste a bar of meter... which most of the cast can already do in level 3. :p

I'd say keep IF/Storm/ and pick Spencer for your last character since you said you played him in vanilla. His assist is great, his damage is huge, solid maneuverability, bionic arm is swag, and combos are easy to do.

zlatko

Banned
Found a nice 1,000,000+ damage DHC combo with Spencer/Wesker/Magneto. Requires 5 bars, but it's fun as shit to do.

Start with Spencer, LMHS, super jump, MMH Wire Shot, land, Bionic Aaaaarm, DHC Maximum Wesker, DHC Gravity Squeeze.

The timing on the Bionic Aaaarm is really tight, as you have to hit it after Spencer lands, but before the opponent does.

Lol @ this. You should try Iron Fist BNB combos with his attack + chi on, and and if you have 1 meter you can get to 850K just by himself, get two meters you get to 925K, and then you can just toss in one other DHC to break the 1M.

:p

storm doesn't really have any good assists, but she has great dhc's both into and from. i prefer to play her point, but her on 2nd works really well too.

shaowebb said:
Holy shit what did I just see!?
Semester just ended so I came home to FINALLY play some Marvel online. I run into a guy running Rocket Raccoon/MODOK/Storm and his Rocket Raccoon was GODLY.

He would use Storm sparingly to buy time to place like a trap or two. Nothing much, but then he would call Jamming Bomb from MODOK and create these insane Mixups. You couldn't jump or you'd get bombed and if you didn't he simply digged behind you anyways when he called it and when it got near you'd get mixedup. If he didn't do this he'd simply Mess with you to corner you using whirlwind and crH and calling Pendulum if you made it past that. Occassionally if I got cornered he'd put a jamming bomb and go low. On my last guy he had traps out, digged and called jamming bomb The traps were low, he was doing standing stuff and bomb was coming. Holy shit was I confused.

Craziest thing was when he killed Iron Fist he did it by magic series and after spitfire OTG I got hit with Jamming bomb to keep me in the combo for him to extend it into more shit. If anyone sees this team again tell me anything you can because that shit was beautiful. Its like most times there were no options left. I'm not even sure I could use a teleporter as good as he was with Pendulum...
modok's jamming bomb is an awesome assist. if i didn't hate modok, i'd totally use him just for that assist.

If Thor was your anchor I'll be brutally honest that he's ass, and you'll work 100X harder than anyone with him as your last character. Thor is semi decent with assists backing him up, but by himself he can really struggle.

Uhh... no. Just... no. Yes, Thor is not a good anchor, but I swear to God, if any more people keep saying Thor is bad in Ultimate, I'm gonna throw a rage fit. Seriously. That's simply BS.

However, Burning Water, all your chosen characters will struggle as anchors indeed. They all need assists to get to their full potential and cover some of their weaknesses... I guess Storm out of all 4 names is the best as anchor, and she's not that good either.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Lol @ this. You should try Iron Fist BNB combos with his attack + chi on, and and if you have 1 meter you can get to 850K just by himself, get two meters you get to 925K, and then you can just toss in one other DHC to break the 1M.

:p

Hey, I never claimed to be good. :p

zlatko

Banned
Uhh... no. Just... no. Yes, Thor is not a good anchor, but I swear to God, if any more people keep saying Thor is bad in Ultimate, I'm gonna throw a rage fit. Seriously. That's simply BS.

However, Burning Water, all your chosen characters will struggle as anchors indeed. They all need assists to get to their full potential and cover some of their weaknesses... I guess Storm out of all 4 names is the best as anchor, and she's not that good either.

Okay, fine, let's say Thor is good in Ultimate. He's still bad compared to 60%+ of the cast, and struggles in a lot of match ups.

Dahbomb

IM is not great as an anchor, so is Thor.

Thor is most definitely not ass in this game. On the team of IF/Storm/IM I would simply swap the order of IM and Storm. Team needs a lock down assist though. If Thor is incorporated in I would swap IF for Thor.

Rain_ng

Banned
I've been getting a surprisingly lack of hate mail in this game. In fact, I've been getting actual polite mail. GGs, compliments, and even some people sending amused messages over certain things I've done...

Same, which surprises me at 6th Class after 200 Ranked Matches. SF4 got me the most hatemail by a mile, a message every 10 matches easy.

zlatko

Banned
Same, which surprises me at 6th Class after 200 Ranked Matches. SF4 got me the most hatemail by a mile, a message every 10 matches easy.

Ditto. SF4 rage is srz bznz and it comes out in droves.

I play Abel too which brings the salt to a whole new level, as well as Yang. PJSalt.

Okay, fine, let's say Thor is good in Ultimate. He's still bad compared to 60%+ of the cast, and struggles in a lot of match ups.

I don't think you're familiar with Thor at all, to be frank. He might struggle in "a lot" of MUs if he's by himself, but with an assist, he's really fucking scary as hell. He is mobile, has a solid keepaway (that, granted, will not win him a firefight, but it'll allow him to get in more easily), and holy shit his grab game with c.H cancel into Mighty Hurricane is so good. He even has super armor on the H versions of his Mighty Spark and Smash, and the fully charged Mighty Smash H is unblockable like Viper's Focus Attack, so he is able to set up some nasty stuff with that. He might not be a Top 5 character, but he definitely is not ass, or "semi-decent", he's a solid character.

Edit:
In fact, I think Thor'll be slept on in this game. He never was a popular character since he was Low Tier in vanilla, but even for a Low Tier he was severely underplayed (I saw more Hsien-Kos than Thors, I'd say next to Chun-Li and MODOK he was the absolutely least played character overall), and his changes have not been as drastic as Cap's, although they were exactly what he needed, thus he is going to be so much better in this game - if anyone ever picks him up. I really hope FlashMetroid is gonna stick with him, I heard of him picking him up.

zlatko

Banned
I don't think you're familiar with Thor at all, to be frank. He might struggle in "a lot" of MUs if he's by himself, but with an assist, he's really fucking scary as hell. He is mobile, has a solid keepaway (that, granted, will not win him a firefight, but it'll allow him to get in more easily), and holy shit his grab game with c.H cancel into Mighty Hurricane is so good. He even has super armor on the H versions of his Mighty Spark and Smash, and the fully charged Mighty Smash H is unblockable like Viper's Focus Attack, so he is able to set up some nasty stuff with that. He might not be a Top 5 character, but he definitely is not ass, or "semi-decent", he's a solid character.

The point being made earlier was him being an anchor would suck. So he is assistless.

You could say that for any character in this game that they are good once you add in assists, which no shit that's how it should be.

Your definition of solid to mine is different. I consider Hulk a solid character(similar to Thor in a lot of ways), but the fact is at some point we have to list who are the least proficient characters in this game, and unfortunately for Thor he IS at the bottom of the barrel. Struggling with 60% AT LEAST of the games cast is rough.

Does the UMvC3 guide have a match up list in it to mention what the match up stats are for each character?

I get though you love the character, but as good as you think he is, there is a ton more characters that have results to back them up on being better. Like we don't see a lot of Deadpools, but everyone here can sure as shit claim Deadpool is more than a solid character in this game.

Thor is a terrible character with little to no redeeming values, even with drones and dive kick.

It isn't cause we love him but due to the fact we know that him backed with certain assists on point or second becomes a massive threat.

In vanilla he was lower mid but with the charge times for full Mighty Smash and Strike delayed gives him a great answer to happy happy rushdown as well as the 1 point of super armor on those moves respectively.

He needs assists. Thor in this game is either A/high B tier.

And 60% of the cast no, maybe Zero and those annoying chars but not near 60% of the cast.

The point being made earlier was him being an anchor would suck. So he is assistless.

You said he was "semi-decent" with assists, which is incorrect. He is GOOD with assists. Not having assists is not going to make him THAT terrible. Yes, he might struggle, but you know what? There's several characters that are considered good, and are not as good as anchors.

Struggling with 60% AT LEAST of the games cast is rough.

How do you know it's AT LEAST 60%? You don't know the character at all, given your statements. I would consider Hulk worse than Thor in Ultimate, actually.

Does the UMvC3 guide have a match up list in it to mention what the match up stats are for each character?

No, it doesn't. Why would it have? The game's not been out long enough to actually derive MUs for characters.

I get though you love the character, but as good as you think he is, there is a ton more characters that have results to back them up on being better.

I'm not saying he's better than everyone else, or that he's on top. You seem to believe that there can only be a certain amount of High Tier characters. Which is incorrect. Believe me, Ultimate is REALLY well balanced. In fact, it's one of the best balanced games I know. There's a few outliers both on top and bottom, but both sections have shrunk from vanilla, and Thor is among the middle, with the other good characters.

Like we don't see a lot of Deadpools, but everyone here can sure as shit claim Deadpool is more than a solid character in this game.

Yea, because Deadpool actually is somewhat popular and was good in vanilla already. Thor was BAD in vanilla, I do not deny that. He isn't in Ultimate. You really should look at the character or at least his changes before claiming something.

Thor is a terrible character with little to no redeeming values, even with drones and dive kick.

Oh GB. :3

Until I see otherwise at higher level play, I'm going to standby the fact that I believe Thor is dildos in this game.

You can believe that, but I have been a Thor player since ever. Believe me, I'll be the first to say if my character sucks ass. And he really really did in vanilla. Unfortunately, people believe that still is the case for Ultimate, based on his position in vanilla alone.

zlatko

Banned
You can believe that, but I have been a Thor player since ever. Believe me, I'll be the first to say if my character sucks ass. And he really really did in vanilla. Unfortunately, people believe that still is the case for Ultimate, based on his position in vanilla alone.

Name 5 characters shittier than Thor in your opinion and why.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Holy crap people know Bo? OMG!

And he'd be like a good compliment too - one's a copycat, one fires various arrows, Bo uses magic! But then wouldn't Capcom's side have one too many canines already? Would players appreciate a brown upright wolf?

Thor doesn't even have the best lvl 2 x-factor anymore. Spark and Strike are still too slow, and the only change that matters is invincibility on his grab hyper, which isn't a huge deal.

Hsien Ko: Do I really have to name why?
Nemesis: Giant hitbox and his armored moves take too long and unsafe on block.
She Hulk: Has no way to stay in and has too much trouble getting in.
Haggar: Has no way to deal with zoning and dies hard to keepaway.
Iron Fist: As much as I like Danny, he just has too much trouble against zoning.

Honestly, majority of the chars in this game fall into B/A tiers With some C tiers and then some fail tiers.

UMvC3 is extremely well balanced outside of say the top and the bottom. EVEN the C tiers can take people out. Thor isn't ass. Spend some time with him and LEARN how to play Ultimate Thor.

EDIT: Strike isn't. It can charge up fast enough to the point where Thor can now perform fully charge strike in a combo to actually get 900k plus without depending on assists.

Hsien Ko: Do I really have to name why?
Nemesis: Giant hitbox and his armored moves take too long and unsafe on block.
She Hulk: Has no way to stay in and has too much trouble getting in.
Haggar: Has no way to deal with zoning and dies hard to keepaway.
Iron Fist: As much as I like Danny, he just has too much trouble against zoning.

Honestly, majority of the chars in this game fall into B/A tiers With some C tiers and then some fail tiers.

UMvC3 is extremely well balanced outside of say the top and the bottom. EVEN the C tiers can take people out. Thor isn't ass. Spend some time with him and LEARN how to play Ultimate Thor.

EDIT: Strike isn't. It can charge up fast enough to the point where Thor can now perform fully charge strike in a combo to actually get 900k plus without depending on assists.

Nemesis and Iron Fist are both better than Thor just by virtue of their assists, and Nemesis is far, far better on point.

I don't care about Strike being too slow for combos. He should be able to use it to plow through projectiles and get in.

zlatko

Banned
Nemesis and Iron Fist are both better than Thor just by virtue of their assists, and Nemesis is far, far better on point.

I don't care about Strike being too slow for combos. He should be able to use it to plow through projectiles and get in.

Agreed with this.

Hsien-Ko and Thor both feel on the same level to me with the time I spent with them in UMvC3. As for Haggar, I'd put him a notch above the two of them based off of what I saw from a Haggar player on the east coast on one of spooky's stream. So god like.

She-Hulk though? I haven't touched her in UMvC3, and only a little in vanilla, but did the nerfs she get really crash her down that far?

Name 5 characters shittier than Thor in your opinion and why.

OK.

Chun-Li: She has less mobility, her pressure is comparably weak, she is getting completely destroyed by keepaway, her OTG is nigh useless and situational. I know a very dedicated Chun player, he was happy for the buffs but still doesn't think they'll be enough to make her viable.

Phoenix Wright: His mobility is terrible, he has huge trouble getting his evidence, since it's not that difficult to get around his Maya shield and assists while he plays his little searching game. Even when in turnabout mode, he's not that much of a threat, the most difficult about it is the Lvl 3, which prematurely ends the Turnabout and turns him ass again. His assist is gdlk tho. At this point, it'll need a miracle to have him work (cookie for whoever gets the reference).

Haggar: Essentially a slower version of Thor with no ability to counter keepaway. Additionally, his OTG is pretty useless, and his assists have been nerfed as well, so he's nowhere near as good as in vanilla - and he already was ass in vanilla.

Iron Fist: He suffers a similar problem as Haggar; although he has great speed and mobility, the fact he is bound to the ground really makes him suffer. He can't do much about keepaway, unlike Thor, and he also will have a lot of trouble against enemies who are simply running away (Storm, MODOK, Thor come to mind).

Tron: Her assist was nerfed, her way of safely approaching was nerfed, her damage output was significantly crippled with the damage scaling. Obviously, Tron has fallen onto her face quite heavily.

Hsien-Ko: Do I need to say any more? I don't think so.

Additionally to these characters, there's a LOT more that I am not familiar enough with to say anything more than that they are generally around Thor's level and could easily be worse.
But, I repeat, this game's A and B tiers are HUGE. The game barely has any characters that aren't in either of these 2 categories. So even IF Thor was a Bottom 5 character, that wouldn't mean he is bad OR bottom tier. You know what I'm saying?

Holy crap people know Bo? OMG!

Several BoF-fans here, so...

And he'd be like a good compliment too - one's a copycat, one fires various arrows, Bo uses magic! But then wouldn't Capcom's side have one too many canines already? Would players appreciate a brown upright wolf?

Dunno, I don't think people mind furry characters in games. But I don't think he'd add as much as other characters would do, like BoF2 Nina. But hey, I'd love him, he was one of my favorite characters to use in the original, so I wouldn't mind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom