• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Basically Spooky was owning some guy who was trash talking the community and Mr.Wizard. Called EVO a mom and pop event.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Finally climbed back to 7th Lord after losing my data. Now I'm back to where I was 2 weeks ago. :(

At least my win record is better now.

shadow servant with dat invincibility.

I love Shadow Servant. So many people forget that it has that much invincibility.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Basically Spooky was owning some guy who was trash talking the community and Mr.Wizard. Called EVO a mom and pop event.
Since the other thread is dead right now, Kadey can you tell me who the two people talking right now are?

And is IPL = IGN Pro League?

Offcast should be streaming right now. Here at uci. Got a good session going, good turnout and an equal amount of representation of mvc/ae/kof

kirblar

What can wesker do on anchor without x-factor? He can't confirm gunshots, he has no high/low game, he can't cross you up, he has no way to beat pushblock or chickenblocking, has no full screen punishes, crap chip and he can't do lvl 3 after a full combo. NOTHING about Wesker lends itself to being an anchor, other than fucktarded x-factor boosts and hoping people shit themselves. It's neither a consistent or particularly smart plan.
Weren't the gunshots revealed to be un-nerfed in Glasses Off mode?

That would make Magneto redundant.

*snickers*

Then just buff Magneto. I feel bad that he's not even as good as Zero. You know what? Take away EMD and give Hyper Grav longer range(3 character distances/two-thirds screen/full screen) and faster startup(18/23/28 frames).

And let him pull in the air, and reduce the recovery on all versions to 5 frames.

And let Magnetic Blast OTG.

Weren't the gunshots revealed to be un-nerfed in Glasses Off mode?

no

shaowebb

Guys I just saw this Iron Fist combo and I am confused as hell. It looks like Fists of Fury OTG-ed here, but thats not an OTG move. What happened? Did he cancel somehow to get the heel kick rekka's OTG property somehow or was the character still counted as standing that late into the crumple?

Guys I just saw this Iron Fist combo and I am confused as hell. It looks like Fists of Fury OTG-ed here, but thats not an OTG move. What happened? Did he cancel somehow to get the heel kick rekka's OTG property somehow or was the character still counted as standing that late into the crumple?

If crumple is anything like SF4's version, then it lasts practically until they stop moving on the ground.

Crumples are really, really misleading visually. Even when your opponent is "laying" on the ground, they're still technically standing for a bit before actually being considered on the ground.

Dahbomb

I know for a fact that glasses off mode can confirm a combo on Sentinel with gun shot. I also know for a fact that in any value of XF + glasses off mode he can confirm on any character. So basically anchor Wesker is completely unnerfed in that regard.

I feel bad that he's not even as good as Zero.
You are about to feel a lot worse when you start figuring out Firebrand.

Did he cancel somehow to get the heel kick rekka's OTG property somehow or was the character still counted as standing that late into the crumple?
The latter.

7oCzL.gif
7oCzL.gif
7oCzL.gif

American Mindgames
7oCzL.gif
7oCzL.gif
7oCzL.gif

I'm full of patriotic pride right now.
Over a week late?

Stay free.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33232807&postcount=11487

Dahbomb

http://www.twitch.tv/offcast

Yeah so about that Firebrand.

When I first got the game I discovered like everyone here that Firebrand's Demon Missile is unblockable when fully charged. So of course I ran the usual set ups like Viper and it worked. I figured it was a similar thing.

Only because it hits from a higher angle and confirms no matter what... it's better than Viper's unblockable set up. It's insanely difficult to get out of... in fact I think you need an invincible air hyper to get out of it. Even if you take the assist hit, you will still get comboed.

It's basically get touched by Firebrand -> do a BnB that builds 1 meter-> Snap back -> Charge Demon Missile with assist call -> lock opponent down with assist -> Unblockable -> confirm into BnB -> snap back and repeat.

If the execution is perfect it's essentially MVC2 guard breaks (only way easier) where if you get touched once you can potentially lose the entire match off of one touch.

The funny part is that I had Firebrand in near top before I even got to this aspect of him. He is now officially in my "if I touch this character I will use everything in my power to end him instantly" just like Zero.

Yeah with Skrull tenderizer and Morrigan meter assist, you can't do shit except pray the player makes an error unless you are running Sent.

Or have Morrigan as your anchor. Level three hyper.

Yeah, so broken.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Wow. So, a flying C.viper basically. Your options are either to A)Take the Hit and possibly die, but force him to spend meter, or B) Lose the match as soon as he touches you, C) Play Sent and pray you have meter for a desperation Hard Drive and deal with a shitty match-up.

LOL. Good shit.

Thank goodness I'm learning Trish and Dante. Fuck that flying demon.

edit: Forgot about Morrigan assist. lmao. That's that cheap shit for sure.

Dahbomb

I haven't deemed it completely broken yet because I refuse to believe that this is the only way to escape that set up. There has to be some way to air X factor escape it or something.

If not this shit is getting patched real soon. You don't even need Morrigan assist as long as you have a BnB that builds 1 meter.

A)Take the Hit and possibly die, but force him to spend meter, or B) Lose the match as soon as he touches you, C) Play Sent and pray you have meter for a desperation Hard Drive and deal with a shitty match-up.
100% on the money.

We won't see this in games yet because people's execution isn't up to snuff. Also Firebrand's survivability in live matches is low right now. Once someone really grinds with him, people are going to start bitching really soon.

Also Firebrand has some insane pressure, high/low mix ups and advance guard negating tools. It's all pretty much safe too. He also has what I believe to be the best jab in the game. All his hits air to air lead into a combo.

Oh and Richard Nguyen has leveled up his Vergil once more. Lots of new tech he has learned in a short time once again.

Hey Karst, your Firebrand strategy of snapback, lockdown, charged demon missile has been deemed to be the most broken thing in Marvel.

Congratulations.
Yay. :-/

Now my main is going to get patched. -_-

It only works on certain team combinations, though!

I have yet to see it. From the talk in that thread, it sounds MvC2 busted.
Noooo!

http://www.twitch.tv/offcast

Yeah so about that Firebrand.

When I first got the game I discovered like everyone here that Firebrand's Demon Missile is unblockable when fully charged. So of course I ran the usual set ups like Viper and it worked. I figured it was a similar thing.

Only because it hits from a higher angle and confirms no matter what... it's better than Viper's unblockable set up. It's insanely difficult to get out of... in fact I think you need an invincible air hyper to get out of it. Even if you take the assist hit, you will still get comboed.

It's basically get touched by Firebrand -> do a BnB that builds 1 meter-> Snap back -> Charge Demon Missile with assist call -> lock opponent down with assist -> Unblockable -> confirm into BnB -> snap back and repeat.

If the execution is perfect it's essentially MVC2 guard breaks (only way easier) where if you get touched once you can potentially lose the entire match off of one touch.

The funny part is that I had Firebrand in near top before I even got to this aspect of him. He is now officially in my "if I touch this character I will use everything in my power to end him instantly" just like Zero.
Yeah, but it has a lot of weaknesses, depending on the lockdown...

Yeah with Skrull tenderizer and Morrigan meter assist, you can't do shit except pray the player makes an error unless you are running Sent.

Or have Morrigan as your anchor. Level three hyper.

Yeah, so broken.
The answer to Tenderizer is to simply not block. The Tenderize will knock your character into the air, and recovery will cause you to completely dodge the Demon Missile H.

I tried all of the pinning assists, and the only ones that 100% work are Dark Hole or Cold Star.

I haven't deemed it completely broken yet because I refuse to believe that this is the only way to escape that set up. There has to be some way to air X factor escape it or something.

If not this shit is getting patched real soon. You don't even need Morrigan assist as long as you have a BnB that builds 1 meter.
If the pinning assist hits, hitstun deterioration prevents Firebrand from building a full bar of meter, unless someone discovered something I don't know. I mean, he can get to like 80%...

Nope, Flyingve just tested it and Firebrand was able to combo but if no Morrigan assist can't do the snapback.

So dorm/ammy are the two best with it? Cool.

Yeah, there seems to be no way out unless the Firebrand user makes an error.

I declare, we have our first TRUE TOD char in Marvel, able to kill an entire player with one combo.

Nope, Flyingve just tested it and Firebrand was able to combo but if no Morrigan assist can't do the snapback.

So dorm/ammy are the two best with it? Cool.

Yeah, there seems to be no way out unless the Firebrand user makes an error.

I declare, we have our first TRUE TOD char in Marvel, able to kill an entire player with one combo.
Haha, I got a perfect on a guy 3 times in a row because he unfortunately had 3 characters susceptible to the setup. I cycled between all 3 characters, slowly lowering their health...I was amazed that he kept playing, and even complimented me on the setup.

Maybe I didn't link the Tenderizer close enough, then. If it connects well on air dash characters, then it might be better than Dark Hole/Cold Stars.

Dahbomb

The answer to Tenderizer is to simply not block.
That one is apparently de-confirmed. You still get taken for a ride.

I am just keeping quiet about most of this until I see the in coming patch.

Richard's Wesker is garbage btw but he's rocking DAT team trenchcoat technology.

WOW OCV W/ VERGIL! Now that's how you play Vergil.

Zero is still broke because he can essentially do the same thing as Firebrand. His mix up against in coming characters is so dumb it might as well be an unblockable set up. You have to guess twice on ambiguous cross ups and they lead into character dead. Firebrands set up take way long to complete but are more "solid"... Zero's set ups are basically like you have to make 4 coin flips. If you call 2 wrong you lose the game. Reminds me of vanilla Wolverine and vanilla Dante.

Zero also has WAY better neutral game than Firebrand. Zero can get two hits on Firebrand before Firebrand can get one hit on him if both players are of equal skill. And Zero can kill Firebrand EASILY in one combo.

Congratulations you use a character with even more BS than Zero..........

*tips broken gentlemen's hat off*

You should be honored.
Naw. Firebrand might have something really broken there, but Zero is still far, far more BS, and is a heck of a lot easier to use. I wish Firebrand had a j.S that was 3x the size of his hitbox and swirled around him.

That one is apparently de-confirmed. You still get taken for a ride.

I am just keeping quiet about most of this until I see the in coming patch.
Come oooon Firebrand buffs!...

A part of me actually wondered if Firebrand's chargeable Demon Missile wasn't meant for the final game; we were expecting a release day patch and all. The BradyGames guide doesn't even MENTION it. Then I look at what a sloppy job they did on Skrull, Firebrand, and Morrigan, and I'm less sure that it actually means something.

Dahbomb

I noticed that the health values for Firebrand and Nova are changed on the SRK guide. It's 850K and 900K respectively. They both used to be 875K. Or is this still true or not?

I just want to see this Firebrand tech done in a tourney.

Imagine the look on Noel's face if it happens.
People are going to lose their shit that's for sure.

I still remember the blow up from the Quicksilver glitch showcase. I wonder if ChrisG is going to show up at the new Curley Mustache and body everyone with Firebrand using this tech. He does use Ammy and Morrigan...

Then just buff Magneto. I feel bad that he's not even as good as Zero. You know what? Take away EMD and give Hyper Grav longer range(3 character distances/two-thirds screen/full screen) and faster startup(18/23/28 frames).

And let him pull in the air, and reduce the recovery on all versions to 5 frames.

And let Magnetic Blast OTG.
SwiftRage.jpg

Wow. So, a flying C.viper basically. Your options are either to A)Take the Hit and possibly die, but force him to spend meter, or B) Lose the match as soon as he touches you, C) Play Sent and pray you have meter for a desperation Hard Drive and deal with a shitty match-up.

LOL. Good shit.

Thank goodness I'm learning Trish and Dante. Fuck that flying demon.

edit: Forgot about Morrigan assist. lmao. That's that cheap shit for sure.
So much for having a good night's sleep...

Dahbomb

Those Magneto buffs still wouldn't make him as powerful as either Zero or Firebrand.

My top 5 best characters are all Capcom characters.

Ditto on worst 5. You guys can take a wild stab at it. Shouldn't be too hard if my posts were followed.

LOL. Zero's pizza cutter, so abusable.

I just want to see this Firebrand tech done in a tourney.

Imagine the look on Noel's face if it happens.
Amusingly enough, Noel's team is susceptible to it. Wolverine could Fatal Claw as soon as he comes in, though. That might save him.

I noticed that the health values for Firebrand and Nova are changed on the SRK guide. It's 850K and 900K respectively. They both used to be 875K. Or is this still true or not?
No clue.

People are going to lose their shit that's for sure.

I still remember the blow up from the Quicksilver glitch showcase. I wonder if ChrisG is going to show up at the new Curley Mustache and body everyone with Firebrand using this tech. He does use Ammy and Morrigan...
Yeah, but he wouldn't leave Ryu behind. Chrisis is focused more on Firebrand's Bon Voyage exploit than the Demon Missile H one.

Those Magneto buffs still wouldn't make him as powerful as either Zero or Firebrand.

Ditto on worst 5. You guys can take a wild stab at it. Shouldn't be too hard if my posts were followed.
Firebrand is mid tier! Everyone stop paying attention to him! :-(

Zero
Wesker
Viper
Firebrand
Dante

Hsien-Ko
Chun Li
Haggar
Phoenix Wright
Tron

???
yo solar when are you going to stop playing tsundere with umvc3 and finally get it? we need to finish our set!
I lost interest when I couldn't find any strong gaffers to fight on my last day with the game. I'm pretty sure you were the last guy I fought too. This game is pretty much done for me once Skullgirls and BlazBlue drop(YAY FOR BANG BUFFS!).

I'll still read because the game is okay from afar and the streams are hype. I'll be there day -9 when pringles edition drops with Megaman and Gene.

Zero
Wesker
Vergil
Firebrand
Not sure on #5, I'd say it's one between Dante, Viper or Strider

For worst, I concur with SolarPowered.

Dahbomb

Arthur instead of Haggar. Solarpowered's list 90% accurate.

Vergil isn't top 5 yet. He's top 10 though.

Firebrand is mid tier! Everyone stop paying attention to him! :-(
Bull shit! I was calling this character out when he was revealed and then some again right before the game was about to be released. And this is all before not even know 70% of his toolset including his unblockable set up.

I always knew and stated pre-release that one of Vergil/Strider/Firebrand are going to be the best of the newer cast. I by default picked Vergil as #1 cuz he's my boy but in reality it was a toss up among the 3.

For the record (and you guys can check Shaowebb's surveys as proof), I called placement for pretty much all new characters decently well except for Frank West because he was the last revealed character and I didn't know jack shit about him (I by default rated him low because he was a gimmick character). Frank is insanely good but he's still not top 5 of the new cast. New cast top 5 is Vergil/Strider/Firebrand/Hawkeye/Nova just like I had listed in the survey.

I don't think Firebrand is top 5, he just has a badass setup. If I was gonna play Firebrand, it'd have to be Firebrand/Frank West/Dante, but I don't want to learn 3 new characters. Then again, I think arguing tiers is bullshit.

I'd say he's already about as strong as firebrand, but those buffs are more just playstyle changes I'd want to make him more Magneto-like. I'd probably even make his flight startup faster and make his dash worse.

Bull shit! I was calling this character out when he was revealed and then some again right before the game was about to be released. And this is all before not even know 70% of his toolset including his unblockable set up.

I always knew and stated pre-release that one of Vergil/Strider/Firebrand are going to be the best of the newer cast. I by default picked Vergil as #1 cuz he's my boy but in reality it was a toss up among the 3.

For the record (and you guys can check Shaowebb's surveys as proof), I called placement for pretty much all new characters decently well except for Frank West because he was the last revealed character and I didn't know jack shit about him (I by default rated him low because he was a gimmick character). Frank is insanely good but he's still not top 5 of the new cast. New cast top 5 is Vergil/Strider/Firebrand/Hawkeye/Nova just like I had listed in the survey.
Chill man, I was joking. I was right there with you saying Firebrand was top tier. He's like X-23 or Felicia, but in the air...

I don't think Firebrand is top 5, he just has a badass setup. If I was gonna play Firebrand, it'd have to be Firebrand/Frank West/Dante, but I don't want to learn 3 new characters. Then again, I think arguing tiers is bullshit.
I think top 5 is also a bit much, but top 10 is pretty reasonable. I think we need to see some tournament results before declaring more than that.

Bon Voyage is sooooo good though.

Dahbomb

BTW I am not arguing tiers list at all, in fact I am not even fully sure on my top 5's. Hell if that Vergil lock down technology pans out he might over take someone in that slot.

The fact of the matter is that... NO ONE in the top 5 can single-handedly win a match not even Zero. Zero needs assists to do high damage and he needs characters to back him up. Firebrand can't set up unblockables alone. Dante can't even combo off of an air throw without assists and of course good ol' Wesker. This is a team game and a smart team composition with full understanding of team mechanics, dynamics and capabilities is more important than who is top tier.

I don't fear Viper or anything like that even if it's Marlin-fucking-pie. I know if I play smart and utilize the tools on my team I can get the hit on her before she can get on me... even with a supposed lower tier character like let's say Captain America. WTF is she going to do about invincible Cap moves? If I get a combo on her she dies... she bleeds just like any other character. The fact is that the person playing Viper is winning because he is skillful with the character and has achieved well deserved mastery of the character to be at that level. If I can achieve similar level of mastery, I can be on equal footing.

And there is always X factor to lean back on. 90% of teams have one character that they are banking on and if you kill it the team crumbles.... this is even true at high level play. Viscant's team of Wesker/Doom/Strider is all built around Wesker, you kill him your chance of winning goes up by at least 60%. People need to get over the shock value of characters and learn to break apart team composition. So yeah... every character has a solid chance and every WELL MADE team has a chance when backed up by appropriate skill level.

Except for Phoenix Wright... that character is garbage stop using him people. /semi troll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom