• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't know why they don't have it like the SSF4 replay channel. That this is damn good. It spreads game knowledge and is relatively easy to navigate. Plus it's easy for people to record matches them and youtube them.

I just hope it's timed exclusive, and they sell it to us late on. Or they do another balance patch next year, and throw this in to hype it up or something.
SSFIV's replay system, you cant actually save replays to your HDD, right? And you can't save offline replays either IIRC?

That's what I actually want. So no thank you to SSFIV's system.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't know why they don't have it like the SSF4 replay channel. That this is damn good. It spreads game knowledge and is relatively easy to navigate. Plus it's easy for people to record matches them and youtube them.

I just hope it's timed exclusive, and they sell it to us late on. Or they do another balance patch next year, and throw this in to hype it up or something.

The lack of replays is actually why I was really grateful to be able to go on Kadey's stream and review some matches. The inability to watch how you play can really hinder your own growth as a player. Everything moves so fast in Marvel, that I can hardly remember what happened at the beginning of a single match, much less what happened ten games ago in a set.

to enzo: you can't. I want them to mesh SF4's and 3S's systems together. I like the replay channel of SF4, and of course 3S's method of saving all matches.

It's dumb in the 3S stuff how it doesn't show the gamertags in the replays (and the low YT quality), but the matches get saved to the HD.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
to enzo: you can't. I want them to mesh SF4's and 3S's systems together. I like the replay channel of SF4, and of course 3S's method of saving all matches.

It's dumb in the 3S stuff how it doesn't show the gamertags in the replays (and the low YT quality), but the matches get saved to the HD.
How does 3S's system work? I am not familiar.

shaowebb

dead body glitch i was talking about the other day on the stream

Question? What happens if you activate dead body glitch then do the wall cling glitch where you hit it with a hyper but go into wall cling so that it snaps both the opponent and you off the screen? This is how desk is tagging in guys facing the wrong direction that can walk toward the camera. Would both the incoming character and the body disappear? Would you be able to tag in on the wrong plain still after you were glitched off screen? Would both you and the incoming character be on the wrong plain facing the camera now?

@_@ ???

*is messaging Desk...*

Bizazedo

The lack of replays is actually why I was really grateful to be able to go on Kadey's stream and review some matches. The inability to watch how you play can really hinder your own growth as a player. Everything moves so fast in Marvel, that I can hardly remember what happened at the beginning of a single match, much less what happened ten games ago in a set.

Next time we play, I'll have my Hauppage on and we'll record some for you if y'want. If you have a mic, can even tell me to save or delete.

mr. puppy

Banned
where do you all normally put Chris on a team? I'm trying to do Spencer/Frank/Chris and Chris just doesn't have what it takes to be an anchor it feels like.

Masamuna

Really feeling a need for a beam in my IF team. I'll eventually learn doom but at the same time bolts of ballsack is suppose to be really good for Danny. IF and Strange seem to work together, and free vishantis/time to setup off of vajra seems promising.

Still need to sit down and learn Zero/Vergil/Dante. Love that team!

Tobe

awesome matches killa, sry i had to go my house is being remodeled and they have started drilling the walls on my room, this shit is so annoying :/

shaowebb

Max I'm betting someone at your next UMVC3 Battle Royale at your house will be using army of one and 3 Weskers when you do Heroes and Heralds. lol
What cards are you most stoked for BTW?

How does 3S's system work? I am not familiar.

You have the option after all matches to save the replay (online and offline VS). Also, it auto saves your last set number of matches (I forget the exact number), so you can go to the replay menu to save them if you forget. The auto save list clears when you turn off the machine though I think.

Plus you can upload your saved matches to YT.

Neki

Oh man, people don't even know what a bad community is until they've played DotA. I was really into that game for a few years, and I still think it's one of the best games ever made. I tried to get my wife into it, and it just wasn't her thing. Her only match, though, was filled with tons of people raging at her, telling her to "get the fuck out of the game", etc. Yeah, she went 0-13, but she was still learning the buttons!

She thought it was absolutely hilarious, just like your friend did. After a while, she started typing "lolz" every time she died. Of course, my wife is also one of those people that would sit in Barrens chat in WoW just to talk about Chuck Norris - she is an odd and lovely bird.

My first DotA match was abysmal. All 9 of the other players were pissing on me for any mistakes I made, and I didn't even understand what the point of the game was yet. I fed hard, no doubt, but no one tried to teach me anything. Luckily for myself, I'm an ardent self-educator when it comes to gaming, so I learned a lot and did well. But even as someone who had gone Beyond Godlike with 80% of the characters in the game, I still had bad matches, and the rage and spittle was always there.

Oh, and if you happened to be grouped with one of the self-righteous assholes that thinks he's just the best DotA player ever, god help you if you happen to "steal" one of his kills. He'll grief you for the rest of the match for "losing the game" for the team. Or he'll intentionally not help you if you're being ganked, or will just sit around and KS you for the rest of the game.

Ugh.

I love that game.

That joke had the Dennis Miller Ratio going for it.

play dota 2 with me. at least you know when I'm raging at you, I'm doing it for your wellbeing!

So I listened to the new SRK podcast, and they had the brady guide dudes on their. They talked about stuff they missed while doing the guides. Firebrands charge missile thing (is that the name of it?) was one of the things.

Also he says the Sent nerf was not reactionary to anything, and that they planned it before the game came out (he said he knew about the nerf, but it was after the vanilla guide went to print), but the patch process takes a long time.

I don't know if that is official, official. But can we drop the "Vanilla Sent knee jerk reaction nerf" comparisons? :)

He also said Tron assist wasn't as invincible on the builds they were making the guide on, and got changed late.

Neki

nope, if they ever properly explained the reason why Sent has to have terrible health and have the biggest hitbox in the game, then I'll accept it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hooray. People brought videogames to campus today. Played some Marvel. Pretty much wrecked everyone with whatever teams. The one time I lost was when I played a team of IronFist/Nova/Strider. I'll admit that the guy I lost to actually sort of knew what he was doing. But if I played one of my teams it would be fraaaaayyyyy.

Well, I guess it was reactionary to their own reasoning, not to the general public.

Maybe they can explain the design principles on every character. I want to know why about Hsien-Ko.

El Sloth

Banned
where do you all normally put Chris on a team? I'm trying to do Spencer/Frank/Chris and Chris just doesn't have what it takes to be an anchor it feels like.
I see that most dudes run him on point because they have some crazy meter building combos with the flamethrower. Their teams are built around Chris though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
nope, if they ever properly explained the reason why Sent has to have terrible health and have the biggest hitbox in the game, then I'll accept it.

Best assist, two of the best hypers in the game, huge hitboxes, hyper armor, command throw, chipping full screen normals, gigantic damage off the most basic combos.

The health nerf didn't really hurt Sentinel that much. It just made it so that people don't get away with stupidity.

UMVC3 The Online Warrior: Episode Seven 'The Heroes And Heralds'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw5qsMzFreU

Talking about H&H, online training mode, ranked games and clips of the week.
Great stuff as usual. Already went through it and I look forward to the video detailing heroes and heralds.
Max I'm betting someone at your next UMVC3 Battle Royale at your house will be using army of one and 3 Weskers when you do Heroes and Heralds. lol
What cards are you most stoked for BTW?
20100725023945SwordsofRevealingLightDPYG-EN-C-1E.jpg

No one wants to dance with the robot for an extended period of time.

Neki

As of tomorrow morning I am finally free to play whatever I want and whenever I want, and now I read this after thinking whether I should buy UMvC3 or not - it was already tough since only a few friends own the game, and now Replay Mode is exclusive to a handheld?

Thanks Capcom.

I thought marvel gaf were your friends

guess not. :(

As of tomorrow morning I am finally free to play whatever I want and whenever I want, and now I read this after thinking whether I should buy UMvC3 or not - it was already tough since only a few friends own the game, and now Replay Mode is exclusive to a handheld?

Thanks Capcom.

Play RAAM's Shadow with me

Neki

Best assist, two of the best hypers in the game, huge hitboxes, hyper armor, command throw, chipping full screen normals, gigantic damage off the most basic combos.

The health nerf didn't really hurt Sentinel that much. It just made it so that people don't get away with stupidity.

best assist? that's not how you spell tron/haggar
huge hitboxes? that's a blessing and a curse. hulk has huge hitboxes, but at least he has decent health.
hyper armor? yeah, on his launcher which is a huge minus on block.
chipping full screen normals that can be ducked by most of the cast, or simply super jumped over?
I'll give you good damage on basic combos, but they should nerf his damage, and not his health if that is a real problem.
And having the best hypers in the game? why does this even mean you should get less health? I'd say his best hyper is hard drive, but HSF is so bad now that you only ever see it in DHCs/assist punishes.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
best assist? that's not how you spell tron/haggar
huge hitboxes? that's a blessing and a curse. hulk has huge hitboxes, but at least he has decent health.
hyper armor? yeah, on his launcher which is a huge minus on block.
chipping full screen normals that can be ducked by most of the cast, or simply super jumped over?
I'll give you good damage on basic combos, but they should nerf his damage, and not his health if that is a real problem.
And having the best hypers in the game? why does this even mean you should get less health? I'd say his best hyper is hard drive, but HSF is so bad now that you only ever see it in DHCs/assist punishes.

Yeah, Tron and Haggar HAD better defensive assists, but it's different utility. Sentinel drones are easily one of the best, easiest to integrate assists in the game. And if you use Tron or Haggar, you're stuck playing Haggar or Tron on point during some part of the match, which most people felt was a wasted slot at the time of the Sentinel nerf.

Sentinel's hitboxes, especially his air normals, are much larger than Hulk's. His launcher is unsafe on block, but you're assuming that he's not in X-Factor and he's not covered by assists. Sentinel also has flight and an excellent wavedash. Two mobility options that other armor characters lack.

HSF is an amazing hyper for no other reason than you can self-combo after it in the corner, it cannot be stopped, and it continues after DHCs. Those are very rare properties.

Anyway, I think it's kind of interesting to have a really powerful giant that takes a lot of damage. Yeah, he's got a lot of terrible matchups on point without X-Factor and assists, but that's just a bad situation to be in for a lot of the cast.

Frantic

Dahbomb, you will have a heart attack.

Even outside of this(escapable) setup, the fact you don't have to charge Round Trip makes the whole fact it HAS a charge time(to limit its OP-ness) pointless. Good job, Capcom.

Edit: Hmm... seems the glitch only works on a hit(blocked or not), limiting its usefulness I guess. Still, I'm sure something very stupid will come from this. :p

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I thought marvel gaf were your friends

guess not. :(

Everyone's my friends!

Honestly, Replay Mode isn't as much as a big deal in Marvel as it is in Street Fighter to me, but still, that's shady. If they can get it done there where it's the least effective out of all the consoles it's on, they can easily get it on the two big boys as well.

They'll probably add it in some time well after the Vita launch, maybe.

Play RAAM's Shadow with me

Sounds like a plan, but I'll have to get through celebration times first!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Played 4 matches, won 4 in a row.. lose 5th. This is the 10th time this has happened to me in MvC3.

I am forever free at this game. PJSalt

Also, why didn't we get a H&H update today? They promised articles throughout the week...

Neki

Yeah, Tron and Haggar HAD better defensive assists, but it's different utility. Sentinel drones are easily one of the best, easiest to integrate assists in the game. And if you use Tron or Haggar, you're stuck playing Haggar or Tron on point during some part of the match, which most people felt was a wasted slot at the time of the Sentinel nerf.

Sentinel's hitboxes, especially his air normals, are much larger than Hulk's. His launcher is unsafe on block, but you're assuming that he's not in X-Factor and he's not covered by assists. Sentinel also has flight and an excellent wavedash. Two mobility options that other armor characters lack.

HSF is an amazing hyper for no other reason than you can self-combo after it in the corner, it cannot be stopped, and it continues after DHCs. Those are very rare properties.

Anyway, I think it's kind of interesting to have a really powerful giant that takes a lot of damage. Yeah, he's got a lot of terrible matchups on point without X-Factor and assists, but that's just a bad situation to be in for a lot of the cast.
i'd say tron and haggar backed by assists are just as scary, does that Mean we should nerf their health too? If sent was such a good char, he'd have some majors to show it. Sent has some of the worst match ups against high tier and mid tier characters. If you're scared of his damage potential, nerf that, not his hhealth.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone's my friends!

Honestly, Replay Mode isn't as much as a big deal in Marvel as it is in Street Fighter to me, but still, that's shady. If they can get it done there where it's the least effective out of all the consoles it's on, they can easily get it on the two big boys as well.

They'll probably add it in some time well after the Vita launch, maybe.

Sounds like a plan, but I'll have to get through celebration times first!

Wait aren't you Belgian too? There will be no encroaching on my gimmick of being the only one in this country that plays Marvel, dammit :p

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
H&GH Offline Mode Breakdown which I posted in the H&H thread.

I'll be updating OP in the next few days with all this information and current happenings like links to tournaments, etc. Might make a separate post detailing it all.

Aaaaaargh, dammit. Was looking forward to H&H versus but I saw this creeping up. Still disappointing.

Frantic

lol, I've actually had two reps of that happen during one of my matches. The guy realized what was going on and stopped lol.

I meant escapable more in that there's a bit of a gap in blockstun when Vergil has no assists to call on, so they can probably hit him out of it(if you're close enough, anyways), jump out of it, or use an invincible reversal. Of course, like I said, it negates the needed charge time and essentially allows Round Trip to become a special move instead of a charge move as intended. Even if it only works on hit, someone could definitely set up some dirty stuff with this glitch.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
i'd say tron and haggar backed by assists are just as scary, does that Mean we should nerf their health too? If sent was such a good char, he'd have some majors to show it. Sent has some of the worst match ups against high tier and mid tier characters. If you're scared of his damage potential, nerf that, not his hhealth.

You wanted an explanation for why Sentinel has low health and a giant hurtbox. The answer is because he excels at a lot of other things... and his power output (on average, hit per hit) is the highest in the game, he doesn't really suffer from low mobility, and he has a bunch of other strengths. That's not the say that the nerf is justified. I'm saying that's the explanation.

If he had low health, huge hurtboxes, and average damage, that's another story... but he still has certain strengths.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
wesker and wolverine also excel at a lot of things and somehow had more health than him, with normal hitboxes too

They don't have armor or giant hitboxes on normals that cover half the screen or flight mode. Obviously those aren't necessarily fair trades, but they are differences.

lol why is the sent debate back again?

how do people feel balancing the game around the meta? by that i mean, wesker is used on 7/8 teams in majors. if this trend continues, despite not being s tier, should he still be nerfed? on the flipside, viper is considered top tier but she rarely gets used, so do you feel that she still needs to be nerfed despite the fact that nobody is exploiting her?

sent may not have been s tier, but he was still definitely good and used by a shit ton of people. i feel that, similar to wesker, they are brainded gameplay. it's not that they're necessarily powerful, but they are very powerful in relation to how much effort that is required to use them. so despite not being the best characters in the game, i still feel nerfs are justifiable, because it demotes brainless and/or effortless gameplay. viper is far from brainless, so i feel that even though she's really up there on the tier list she should not be nerfed. putting in the effort to learn a difficult character should be rewarded and we shouldn't promote things such as "stop thinking and just use wesker".

No Gold War Machine Iron Man color for us console peasants? :-(
Glorious handheld gaming master race laughs at your inferior consoles
wesker and wolverine also excel at a lot of things and somehow had more health than him, with normal hitboxes too
They also happen to be "badass" characters protected by plot armor and trenchcoats. I try not to compare low/mid tier characters to them because no one knows why they have some of the things they do.

It's like bitching about Hsien-Ko being bad and then mentioning Wesker like those two even make sense when mentioned together in a sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom