• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I like characters that I can fly around with. Both my teams have one, Thor and Sent. And yes, Nova can fly around but it's not as good imo. Also characters with little execution required. I'm pretty sure Spider-man requires a ton of execution.

zlatko

Banned
What team are you running?

Currently Nova, Hawkeye, Wesker. Team braindead cheap stuff yesssss.

I'm also messing around with Nova, random character, and Hawkeye for anchor.

Characters I tried that I think have potential:

Hulk
Doom
Ryu
Vergil
Taskmaster

I've tried a few others, but my BnB with Nova nets me a bar of meter, and at the start of a match if I get a hit on you once before you can kill Nova, then your character is guaranteed to die if they have 920K or less health if my 2ndary is Hulk/Doom/Ryu/Task.

What I do is pretty cheap. I cover the ground with Hawkeye triple burst assist, hop in the air for a QCB + H with Nova. If they try anything or had an assist out, it usually catches both, and that's a dead 1-2 characters. If they block then I have several options: I can quickly input fly and get out of there, I can hit H and bop them on the head and go into a regular ground combo string, or I can dash back/forth for a mix up into the air H, or go low as I land.

Zoning my team is damn hard. If I see you have a projectile character, I try to back off start of games, get up a reflector, cover with hawk eye assist, then start chucking energy javelins and if you start to get antsy on your approach in, then you will eat the javelin or a QCB+ H to a dead character.

Oh and if all else fails? Wesker. trollface.jpg

Xevren

Anyone else here a Viper player? I'm running Viper/Dante and not sure who I want to do as a third. I just want to play who I like but at least fit somewhat well. Really love playing as them 2. I switch teams so damn much.

mr. puppy

Banned
Anyone else here a Viper player? I'm running Viper/Dante and not sure who I want to do as a third. I just want to play who I like but at least fit somewhat well. Really love playing as them 2. I switch teams so damn much.

just join the viper bandwagon and put strider back there. good luck pulling off all of their stuff though, the execution of that team is a huge weakness.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Mark my words, GAF. If Phoenix Wright gets the Nerf Hammer before Wesker in this stupid game on the next patch, I'm dropping this shit. KOFXIII and my ever-growing Steam backlog (150+) will welcome me with open arms.

/notsaltyatall

Feh, I main Phoenix Wright and I can understand assists being nerf but other than that. Not really. I will main him for fun even he got whatever nerf he is getting.

Capcom is going to destroy themselves and continuing shoot their own feet for dumb balances.

The thing is, Wright has one of the best assists in the game OUTSIDE of Turnabout mode. Nerfing his invincible assists will just move people to using the other one, and Wright users will probably be better off for it, since he'll actually be useful to the team outside of Turnabout mode.

Warpticon

Remember the Sentinel emergency patch? :3 We're talking about Capcom here... and I still need to see why it's actually considered a bug in the first place...

The patch that was submitted for approval before the game was released? Yeah, i remember it.

But is a bug really something that someone like SKill kept mentioning as one of the strengths of the character before the game came out? If they take it out and claim it's a bug it'll be complete BS because they've always been aware of it :/

Well, Seth has been aware of it. I think people believe Seth has a lot more influence over gameplay at Capcom than he actually does. As silly as it is, people seem to be actually underestimating how hard-headed Capcom JP really is, in spite of all the evidence.

What if Wesker's bonuses were a glitch that were supposed to be debuffs he gets? And It was all inverted? Granted this probably isn't the case, whatever you rationalize these fixes as being, they ultimately affect balance and that's what matters.

What if girls had balls? I don't get your point. What does that have to do with people saying "why are they nerfing PW but not Wesker?" Because the point of the patch is not to fix balance, but to remove glitches and bugs. Even if they effect balance, balance is not the point of the patch. Do people not get that the game is exactly one month old, and it often takes a month+ to get a patch approved and distributed to MS/Sony?

I play Viper/Hulk/Felicia.

The patch that was submitted for approval before the game was released? Yeah, i remember it.
I want to kick every single person who misquotes what Capcom said about this patch in the nuts every time I hear something like this. The quote was "We started working on the patch pre-release", not "we submitted it before release", and not "all of the changes made were decided on pre-release".

What if girls had balls? I don't get your point. What does that have to do with people saying "why are they nerfing PW but not Wesker?" Because the point of the patch is not to fix balance, but to remove glitches and bugs. Even if they effect balance, balance is not the point of the patch. Do people not get that the game is exactly one month old, and it often takes a month+ to get a patch approved and distributed to MS/Sony?
headexplode.gif

Lothars

Capcom is going to destroy themselves and continuing shoot their own feet for dumb balances.
Man the overreactions to rumors is insane, We don't know what it's going to change if anything but I think we should wait and see before saying stuff like this.

I want to kick every single person who misquotes what Capcom said about this patch in the nuts every time I hear something like this. The quote was "We started working on the patch pre-release", not "we submitted it before release", and not "all of the changes made were decided on pre-release".
Maybe the change was decided after release maybe it wasn't, it's not really know it's all speculation.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why do you care more about the intentions of the patch than the outcome? I don't follow your logic. Who gives a shit if you "characterize it" as a balance patch or a bugfix patch. Either way, it affects balance, and thus the implications of such should be considered. It goes back to the whole Storm calling assists while in float or Spiderman with his UWT glitch. Yeah, technically glitches, but their removal had pretty predominant effects on balancing regardless of original intentions. In the grand scheme of things, balancing Wesker is of more grave importance to the game as a whole than fixing a purported PW bug. Everyone agrees on this, that's why people are upset when more time is spent on X than Y.

And Karst is right, there is ZERO evidence that there was a patch submitted before release. All we know is Dante was being looked at as well.

she can regular s into her otg hyper.
This is a corner combo, so j.S into Shadow Servant will do like 80K damage. You're better off linking a second Shadow Blade H.

Maybe the change was decided after release maybe it wasn't, it's not really know it's all speculation.
Again, Niitsuma specifically said that he wanted the patch to demonstrate that he was listening to the concerns of Marvel fans. The only "concern" at that time was Sentinel's health. You really have to be a half-wit to think Capcom looked at the whole of MvC3 upon release, and thought the only balance change that needed to happen was a 400K health nerf to Sentinel.

Why do you care more about the intentions of the patch than the outcome?
$10 says he's an undergrad philosophy major.

I kid, I kid...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Man the overreactions to rumors is insane, We don't know what it's going to change if anything but I think we should wait and see before saying stuff like this.

Actually I am not being overreacting about it. I don't know why I typed balance instead of being general. I was talking about adding replay to Vita, nerf phoenix wright, and other things they had done in past.

The thing is, Wright has one of the best assists in the game OUTSIDE of Turnabout mode. Nerfing his invincible assists will just move people to using the other one, and Wright users will probably be better off for it, since he'll actually be useful to the team outside of Turnabout mode.

Missile, right? That was going to be my main assist for him before we found out about the whole invincibility thing.

Wow. That's quite possibly the worst excuse they could have said.
If the *only* reason consoles don't have replay is for Vita..
That's something I could see justifiably being pissed at.
That's the only reason that S-Kill mentioned. It is undoubtedly a terrible one.

Missile, right? That was going to be my main assist for him before we found out about the whole invincibility thing.
Yup! I mean...a full screen low attack? Damn! If I had any interest in Wright, I would definitely try Dormammu/Wright/Morrigan. Infinite meter would give Wright tons of time to find evidence, too.

Place Doom in third since you should have jam session to cover the air. you get a horizontal beam that will help clear the way and give you access to 700k meterless combo or 900k-1mil using 1 meter if you have a good second assist for combo extension.

TK juggle loops FTW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO4kPNxPl8Y&feature=player_embedded

I'm running viper/x/doom with x being nova, akuma, or storm. I haven't decided which of the three to fully learn and place there. I like storm the most but her assist doesn't give me much of a combo extension with viper. I can add another 3-4 j.H's with nova or akuma in second with a ground bounce.

Warpticon

Why do you care more about the intentions of the patch than the outcome?

Who told you that? It sure as hell wasn't me.

I don't follow your logic. Who gives a shit if you "characterize it" as a balance patch or a bugfix patch. Either way, it affects balance, and thus the implications of such should be considered. It goes back to the whole Storm calling assists while in float or Spiderman with his UWT glitch. Yeah, technically glitches, but their removal had pretty predominant effects on balancing regardless of original intentions. In the grand scheme of things, balancing Wesker is of more grave importance to the game as a whole than fixing a purported PW bug. Everyone agrees on this, that's why people are upset when more time is spent on X than Y.

Um, no, everybody does not agree with that. Many people think Wesker isn't even that good, and people are just playing and winning with him to such a high degree because he's a good character from MvC3 who didn't change a whole lot, making him easier to adapt to the new game with. And that's ignoring how stupid it would be to patch the balance after 1 month anyway. At this point in MvC2 people still thought Iceman was God. Plus, I think it's a pretty obvious that other glitches and bugs in MvC3 would have been patched out if UMvC3 wasn't on the way. The point is that there is no choice between nerfing Wesker or nerfing Phoenix Wright. It's a false option.

And Karst is right, there is ZERO evidence that there was a patch submitted before release. All we know is Dante was being looked at as well.

There's a hell of a lot more evidence of it than there is evidence that they nerfed Sent's health because of people complaining or whatever nonsense people like to throw out about that. Even if it wasn't done before release, it was done early in the game's life, as the patch hit barely a month after the game came out.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Muh Fuckah.

NPYCY.gif

Live lobby will be earlier today. AE may be late into the nights.

Wesker.

Nah, just kidding. I agree with Unconditional, Doom is probably your best bet. Other solid anchor characters with similar assist are Taskmaster (horizontal arrows), or Magneto. Maybe Hawkeye (triple arrow) or Strange (Bolts), though I'm not sure about Strange's anchor capabilities. In any case, you best want to avoid IM, Storm, Sent or Thor if you're placing the character definitely as anchor. For second (Dante as anchor), I'd say all 4 would then qualify, Strange most definitely would as well.

There's a hell of a lot more evidence of it than there is evidence that they nerfed Sent's health because of people complaining or whatever nonsense people like to throw out about that. Even if it wasn't done before release, it was done early in the game's life, as the patch hit barely a month after the game came out.

What are you and Enzo arguing about, the Vanilla patch or the incoming UMVC3 patch?

If the vanilla patch is being talked about, there is some sort of evidence the patch was submitted maybe right before release or close to it, if what one of the guys who did the brady game guide said on the SRK podcast that he knew about the Sentinel health adjustment before the game came out. He said he couldn't change it in the guide, because it went to print.

Either or, actual submission time of match doesn't really matter in that specific thing. If what that said is true, they planned to change Sent's health after the game went Gold (before the game came out) without taking the public complaining into consideration.

If they are like some devs, they started working on a patch to fix any nagging issues they want to address after RTM. They would wait until after day 1 (probably first week or so of game), to monitor online and message boards/CS calls and get any fixes on game breaking bugs or things the public has found, so they can stick it in there along with what they have done and tested already. This all makes sense in relation to the timing of the patch release.

That's how we did it were I worked at least.

So, you could say, they planned the Sent health (for whatever internal reasons they have) nerf before the game came out. They submitted the patch after the game released. Saw that people were complaining about Sent, and said, hey, glad we did that Sent adjustment, cool beans. Or they started working on the patch, and just threw in ONE adjustment, which is weird.

mr. puppy

Banned

that won't happen for like 8 years....dhalsim mvc2 style

CPS2

I finally have some time to play this next week, only had like 2 or 3 decent sessions so far, but now i have like a whole week where i can play every day. Feels good man.

Dahbomb

oh horseshit, i can find a ton of times in the old mvc threads where you got hatemail for using team BFF and claim you came up with the team on your own
I did come up with the team on my own. I was talking about team Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma, I was using that team before it became popular/used by Noel Brown. It's essentially a mix of 2-3 different teams I had before the time which were partial x-copies. I was also using Wesker + IM before Viscant because I saw Max use the combination and I thought it was genius.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Who told you that? It sure as hell wasn't me.

Um, no, everybody does not agree with that. Many people think Wesker isn't even that good, and people are just playing and winning with him to such a high degree because he's a good character from MvC3 who didn't change a whole lot, making him easier to adapt to the new game with. And that's ignoring how stupid it would be to patch the balance after 1 month anyway. At this point in MvC2 people still thought Iceman was God. Plus, I think it's a pretty obvious that other glitches and bugs in MvC3 would have been patched out if UMvC3 wasn't on the way. The point is that there is no choice between nerfing Wesker or nerfing Phoenix Wright. It's a false option.

You didn't say that, but your clearly getting upset about semantics of intentions and not the outcome of the patch which everyone else cares more about. I think a one month in patch is stupid too, I rallied against it in multiple threads and am too exhausted to get into it again. But now we know we're getting something, and we know that where there is a change, there are implications on balance, minor or major and that's what we are discussing. Now your going off on a tangent about whether the patch is warranted or not, not what you initially said which was the discrepancy between a bugfix and balance patch in the context of PW and Wesker.

Also, before you go further please direct me towards someone who believe fixing PW is of more importance than fixing Wesker, because I have seen zero evidence anywhere of anyone with those sentiments. No one thinks it was a bug anyways because half of Seth's PR for PW was based around showing his godly invincible assists to try and sell the character, that's why people are skeptical.

And where is this proposed evidence of a patch being put out before release? You provide none of it being done before release, or early in the game's life outside of you assuming cert always takes more than a month, which isn't the universal case with games at all.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ these card effects:

44e32101c4e7247ad02efc49ed8a66df.jpg

Godot

Primary slot: Switch Hyper Combo gauges with your opponent upon activation of X-Factor (LULZ PHOENIX COUNTER)

Secondary slot: When you have only one character remaining and their vitality is 50% or less, HC gauge will refill automatically [Lv 1]

MILES EDGEWORTH

Primary: Gain a fixed amount of HC gauge upon activation of X-Factor [Lv 3]

Secondary: Gain a fixed amount of HC gauge upon activation of X-Factor [Lv 2]

Von Karma

Primary: Attack strength increases as vitality decreases [Lv 3] Increases the duration of X-Factor [Lv 1]

Secondary: Gain super armor when the timer reaches 30 (Uses HC gauge upon hit) [Lv 1]

These effects aren't as broken as I thought they would be. At least these 3 aren't. I like that super armor uses HC.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
surely dahbomb must be godly at this game.
This is why I proposed the God's Beard vs. Dahbomb match, the put your money where your mouth is match. I'm already shopping it to SmackDVD.

From the sound of it GB would be free though.

Dahbomb

If I ever play anyone online, I would use my troll team of Ghost Rider/Hawkeye/Sentinel. Maybe Wolverine or Wesker if I am feeling dirty.

I would never use my IM/Vergil online. In March or so I will be moving back to the States and will be getting proper Internet connection. Then I will go full into online warrior mode and start challenging people here. If the game is still relevant until then (most likely it will be at least until EVO).

M.J. Doja

Banned
I think i found some new Frank West/Amaterasu bug that allows two ground bounces in one combo. After a normal air combo you land and do QCF+H as you call Ammy's Cold Star assist, use the assist to start another air combo where you MMHS and then do another QCF+H to set up another ground bounce! Its pretty cool at least in training mode. Normally of course you could not do QCF+H twice in the same combo, but something about Cold Star seems to reset that property, I wonder what other assists work? Then of course I abuse the DHC into slow super to chain super after super together.

If I'm late, just chalk it up to noobishness. :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If I ever play anyone online, I would use my troll team of Ghost Rider/Hawkeye/Sentinel. Maybe Wolverine or Wesker if I am feeling dirty.

I would never use my IM/Vergil online. In March or so I will be moving back to the States and will be getting proper Internet connection. Then I will go full into online warrior mode and start challenging people here. If the game is still relevant until then (most likely it will be at least until EVO).
Your PS3, right?

lol. Morrigan/Dante/Dr. Doom lets Morrigan combo into Soul Drain three times per combo in corners.

If you have a bar for Astral Vision, I think maybe even 5. Definitely four.

Warpticon

You didn't say that, but your clearly getting upset about semantics of intentions and not the outcome of the patch which everyone else cares more about. I think a one month in patch is stupid too, I rallied against it in multiple threads and am too exhausted to get into it again. But now we know we're getting something, and we know that where there is a change, there are implications on balance, minor or major and that's what we are discussing. Now your going off on a tangent about whether the patch is warranted or not, not what you initially said which was the discrepancy between a bugfix and balance patch in the context of PW and Wesker.

Also, before you go further please direct me towards someone who believe fixing PW is of more importance than fixing Wesker, because I have seen zero evidence anywhere of anyone with those sentiments. No one thinks it was a bug anyways because half of Seth's PR for PW was based around showing his godly invincible assists to try and sell the character, that's why people are skeptical.

And where is this proposed evidence of a patch being put out before release? You provide none of it being done before release, or early in the game's life outside of you assuming cert always takes more than a month, which isn't the universal case with games at all.

You're reading stuff I never said again. My entire point was that it's dumb to be mad at them for not "fixing" Wesker when that's not the point of the patch in the first place. That's it.

Wow. Jam Session or Weasel Shot? Mind sharing?
Oh, I don't even use Dante's assist. And I was mistaken, this works from anywhere.

Simple combo:
Anything into Morrigan's launcher, call Hidden Missiles simultaneously with launcher.

Mid-screen:
As Morrigan lands, Soul Drain, fly-cancel, move up-forward, airdash down-forward into j.S, relaunch into whatever. When you land, THC. Dante's Million Dollars will keep your opponent held long enough to either:

1) Soul Drain twice.
2) Soul Drain, cancel into Astral Vision, Soul Drain once.
3) Maaaaybe Astral Vision, Soul Drain twice - I can't get it to work, but it feels like it should.

Corner:
As Morrigan lands, Soul Drain, wait for Hidden Missiles to hit, s.S, sj.HS, THC, etc.

The fact that it doesn't even require Dante's assist means you can set it to whatever you want to help Morrigan get in.

LMAO @ these card effects:

44e32101c4e7247ad02efc49ed8a66df.jpg

Godot

Primary slot: Switch Hyper Combo gauges with your opponent upon activation of X-Factor (LULZ PHOENIX COUNTER)

Secondary slot: When you have only one character remaining and their vitality is 50% or less, HC gauge will refill automatically [Lv 1]

MILES EDGEWORTH

Primary: Gain a fixed amount of HC gauge upon activation of X-Factor [Lv 3]

Secondary: Gain a fixed amount of HC gauge upon activation of X-Factor [Lv 2]

Von Karma

Primary: Attack strength increases as vitality decreases [Lv 3] Increases the duration of X-Factor [Lv 1]

Secondary: Gain super armor when the timer reaches 30 (Uses HC gauge upon hit) [Lv 1]

These effects aren't as broken as I thought they would be. At least these 3 aren't. I like that super armor uses HC.

Mind me asking where these came from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom