• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecco

It will basically be a Zero bitch fest.

Eh ive enjoyed listening to both talk about the game. Ryans streams on thursdays are super interesting/enlightening. I learned basically a bunch of stuff about blocking/advancing guard/hulk tech in one of his streams.

And Viscant, i really like listening to how he talks about the game. In that podcast on SRK talking about the new characters and even in the G4 thing. I think the way Viscant looks at the game is different than other players and is very interesting to me. He looks at the game in a much more strategic way. If that makes any sense.

THE THEORY FIGHTING IS AMAZING! I never looked at it like that but I still maintain that it's also an anti-Phoenix card. You touch Phoenix at 5 bars, X factor before the kill swapping the meters and land the killing blow. You are now at 5 bars with X factor on while they are at low meter without Phoenix/Dark Phoenix.

It's the ultimate Vergil card. Since I can't gain meter during Devil Trigger... assuming this gives me like 2 bars on activation. I can land a 1 meter combo in DT, X factor giving me the meter I need to Dark Angel and then TOD.
i totally overlooked xfactor cancelling mid-combo. i guess it would destroy phoenix if you can manage to land the hit. still, i think that phoenix is fairly non-relevant that it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to use this on your team unless you know for sure that your opponent is using phoenix. especially since if you're fighting a non-phoenix team, having this card can sort of backfire against you if you're opponent has little to no meter.

enzo_gt said:
One of the smartest to talk about the game. He's like Ryan Hunter with anecdotes of his cruel ex girlfriend filling in the spots of the technical knowledge.
one of the things that i respect about him, is that he plays nearly every character (even if not well, but just for purposes of finding out stuff about them).

Dahbomb

I can certainly agree with that. Viscant has technical knowledge on the game in a way few people have... he respects match ups more than any other player. He was hyping up Zero before Zero was even a contender for the S spot. Since he plays more online than other pros, he has seen what the more obscure characters like MODOK are capable of and he respects them.

Oh and Viscant hates all Flocker's characters (hates as in he thinks all of them are OP). My guess is that Viscant has regular sessions with Flocker just like he did in the vanilla days. And yeah Viscant plays a lot of characters for experimentation.

For the record he thinks that both Spider Man and Iron Man are good... but both of them aren't "his" character.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can certainly agree with that. Viscant has technical knowledge on the game in a way few people have... he respects match ups more than any other player. He was hyping up Zero before Zero was even a contender for the S spot.

Oh and Viscant hates all Flocker's characters (hates as in he thinks all of them are OP). My guess is that Viscant has regular sessions with Flocker just like he did in the vanilla days.
Yeah he mentioned it recently that he's been playing Flocker a lot online.

Viscant's unique perspective on things is why I like him so much as a player too. He looks at the grand scheme of things a bit more than many others do. I wouldn't call it technical knowledge though, more knowledge of the meta. Also when he talks about the game, he legitimately sounds ecstatic about all the characters, there is a ton of enthusiasm. During Vanilla he said there wasn't a character he didn't want to play.

He's my fav Marvel player alongside Chris Jesus.

I can certainly agree with that. Viscant has technical knowledge on the game in a way few people have... he respects match ups more than any other player. He was hyping up Zero before Zero was even a contender for the S spot. Since he plays more online than other pros, he has seen what the more obscure characters like MODOK are capable of and he respects them.

Oh and Viscant hates all Flocker's characters (hates as in he thinks all of them are OP). My guess is that Viscant has regular sessions with Flocker just like he did in the vanilla days. And yeah Viscant plays a lot of characters for experimentation.

For the record he thinks that both Spider Man and Iron Man are good... but both of them aren't "his" character.
his zero/tron/phoenix team from vanilla? or what is he playing currently?

Dahbomb

Zero/Vergil/Hawkeye. Viscant thinks all of these characters are within top 5 range and Zero is undeniably the best point character in the game.

Viscant is dope because he is one of the few top players who can articulate what and why they are doing things when they play.

Buktooth said in a thread somewhere about getting top players to write articles or give good interviews or something, and he said a lot of top players can't write for shit, or explain why they are good.

Grecco

Writing in general isnt easy. Plus when it comes to these players either it just comes naturally to them with experience/practice or they are probably blazed up and cant see straight.

Dahbomb

Top 5 Most Swag Comboers in the game:

1) Dante
2) Magneto
3) Dr Strange
4) Iron Man
5) Vergil

Iron Man has immense swag in combos as well.. as much as Magneto IMO. Dante is the king of swag in this game.

sephi22

1) Dante
2) Magneto
3) Dr Strange
4) Iron Man
5) Vergil

Iron Man has immense swag in combos as well.. as much as Magneto IMO. Dante is the king of swag in this game.

Man, after watching some of that Haggar bullshit by Bum, I'd put Haggar in over Iron Man. But 'Swag' isn't really the word to use for Haggar combos I guess.

Otherwise, I'm ok with this.

Also, I'm glad that all the Strange players are using Dat Patented sephi22 Strange Tech.
In all honesty, its such an obvious discovery that someone would've discovered this eventually.

Dahbomb

Haggar is in the "GROWN ASS MAN" combo category. With 2 assists it's 1 million damage with 1 meter (although technically IM can do the same too but outside of assists his damage is good not godly).

Top 5 Grown Ass Men in UMVC3:

1) Nova
2) Iron Fist
3) Haggar
4) Hulk
5) Captain America

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm almost tempted to cockblock that Iron Man pick, because that character is so NOT swag when he's not hitting you... and that's most of the time.

The only combo that seems consistent from jump ins, far cr. M, and cr, Ls and is damaging enough is the Krispy Kreme variation and I hate that combo. My whole direction in this game is a mess because of what they did this character. I'm currently training mode monstering everyone in consideration of dropping him for good.

Dahbomb

Well that's the same problem with Strange. He looks awkward as hell when he's not hitting you but when he gets that hit on you... IMPACT SWAG! Iron Man has immense creativity and flexibility in combos, more so than in vanilla for sure.

KrispyKreme combo is the best IM combo simply because as far as I know it's the only combo that confirms off of the maximum range of cr.M. It's hard but worth the investment. You can replace the unfly part with M, M, up + H, S. You can get by not using the KrispyKreme combo with IM for sure and even use higher damaging combos... you just have to accept the fact that you can't confirm off of max range cr.M.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't think the KK combo is hard at all. That's kinda why I don't like it haha. Cause I feel like every Iron Man player will have the same go to BnB, which sucks.

Dahbomb

Nothing wrong with having a solid BnB to fall back on. A lot of characters don't even have an agreed upon BnB. Also difficult combos are by default inconsistent so if you want to do the swag stuff you have to deal with some inconsistencies.

Whatever.... combos/damage isn't IM's problems. It's landing the first hit. More tech/time/research needs to be devoted to his neutral/pressure game in the lab. I don't think people are going to bother because there are better/similar characters than him to invest in.

mr. puppy

Banned
alright i'm still salty that ChrisG vs. Combofiend isn't happening this weekend. Who do we think would win? Would ChrisG eventually bail on firebrand and just go straight to Wesker?

I'm sure Combo has played Chrisis' firebrand, who definitely plays that character better than ChrisG, so I bet it happens. Maybe a first to 5 would be combo winning the first one or two, Chris changing to Wesker, and then its maybe who gets first ToD?

also, i have advanced hawkeye tech: if you hold down h to fire arrows and push up right after release, the arrows will each go in a different direction. though i'm sure everybody knows this haha.

Ken

I don't think the KK combo is hard at all. That's kinda why I don't like it haha. Cause I feel like every Iron Man player will have the same go to BnB, which sucks.
If I wasn't execution challenged, I'd probably try that Iron Man combo.Iron Man is one of my favorite Marvel characters but his combos seem kind of difficult. Oh well, maybe I'll try anyways.

Kimosabae

Banned
I can't disagree Bomb, I'm just petty sometimes.

If I wasn't execution challenged, I'd probably try that Iron Man combo.Iron Man is one of my favorite Marvel characters but his combos seem kind of difficult. Oh well, maybe I'll try anyways.

Do it. Learning things people consider hard, whether it can be truly quantified as hard or not, only improve your execution and confidence as a player (which is intrinsic to having good execution).

Ken

I can't disagree Bomb, I'm just petty sometimes.

Do it. Learning things people consider hard, whether it can be truly quantified as hard or not, only improve your execution and confidence as a player (which is intrinsic to having good execution).
I guess I just get frustrated when I constantly drop combos while practicing them, but yeah, I guess I just need to put more time into it.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

1) Dante
2) Magneto
3) Dr Strange
4) Iron Man
5) Vergil

Iron Fist and MODOK combos are more Swag worthy then Iron Man and Vergil IMO

shaowebb

Iron Fist and MODOK combos are more Swag worthy then Iron Man and Vergil IMO

I agree that MODOK counts, but after playing Iron Fist he's not that rough to learn. He's just rough to get in with if you don't have good assists to set him up. He's definitely no tough dude to combo forever with like C.Viper with all those cancels or all those lovely Magneto dash loops. If you can QCF and QCB then you got this. Only thing that takes time is memorizing what rekkas link. Of course I'm not using that fancy Justin Wong rekka and hold up technology to get overhead confirms during block strings or crazy fancy combos either. Maybe I'm just playing him on easy mode doing simply magic series extenders with crumples and otg's into fists, into dealers choice of another hyper or sweeping their body to keep em going, but easy mode is sooooo good with him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm probably lttp on this, but how can there not be offline VS for H&H mode? That's pretty crap...
Probably has to do with the fact that the game doesn't already support 2 local profiles. Someone suggested a potential ghetto workaround in the H&H thread with training mode dummies set to Player 2 though. Depends on if you can set your opponents cards, anyways.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
how could you have a conversation about swag combos without mentioning big poppa pump?

sentinal has swag combos for days

They're SO easy to do (the non-flight ones anyways; tiger knee hard drives all daaaaaaaaay). Seriously, as stress relief, just now I was doing some :lol

Sent has the easiest 900k, I swear. Next up is Hulk.

Neki

They're SO easy to do (the non-flight ones anyways; tiger knee hard drives all daaaaaaaaay). Seriously, as stress relief, just now I was doing some :lol

everyone has easy magic series combos

I agree that MODOK counts, but after playing Iron Fist he's not that rough to learn. He's just rough to get in with if you don't have good assists to set him up. He's definitely no tough dude to combo forever with like C.Viper with all those cancels or all those lovely Magneto dash loops. If you can QCF and QCB then you got this. Only thing that takes time is memorizing what rekkas link. Of course I'm not using that fancy Justin Wong rekka and hold up technology to get overhead confirms during block strings or crazy fancy combos either. Maybe I'm just playing him on easy mode doing simply magic series extenders with crumples and otg's into fists, into dealers choice of another hyper or sweeping their body to keep em going, but easy mode is sooooo good with him.

Yea, I put a little work into Iron Fist today and can see what you mean. I like him because you can get creative with the rekka combos, but you also deal mad damage for something so simple, especially with the crumple states and OTG's. I think I'm gonna try and use him more. Like the way he flows, and Justin simply made him look fun!

Odinson

Haggar is in the "GROWN ASS MAN" combo category. With 2 assists it's 1 million damage with 1 meter (although technically IM can do the same too but outside of assists his damage is good not godly).

Top 5 Grown Ass Men in UMVC3:

1) Nova
2) Iron Fist
3) Haggar
4) Hulk
5) Captain America

Thor

DrBo42

So after watching Barfights I'm super interested in this. I've never been a huge fighting game person but I'm willing to put in the work for this one. Is it worth it? Any tips? How do I not be completely discouraged by being awful? Haha.

HardRojo

So after watching Barfights I'm super interested in this. I've never been a huge fighting game person but I'm willing to put in the work for this one. Is it worth it? Any tips? How do I not be completely discouraged by being awful? Haha.

If you can play offline and practice with friends at first go for it, it can be very frustrating to go online without much knowledge just to get bodied by zoners, spammers, Flowchart-Kenlike people, etc. It's worth it but damn this is one frustrating game when one mistake can make you lose the whole match.

HardRojo

Problem is most Hulks won't bother learning something other than spamming M/H and cancelling into Gamma Charge and then into Meteor Smash :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom