• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

BTW even though there will most likely be no offline VS mode in H&H, is there still a possibility for Training mode 2P VS?

Seriously the level of theory fighting and training mode tech from H&H is going to be too much to handle. I am immensely hyped for next week... now I just need to take my PS3 to some where that has a decent enough internet connection so I can at least download the update.

Also Dante is considered a "classic" Capcom character now even though he has been around for about 10 years.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Oh god. Zero is going to be even worse in H&H mode. There is no escape from that walking hitbox.

For certain, Dante is classic. He's basically one of the action game icons that started it all.

JeTmAn81

BTW even though there will most likely be no offline VS mode in H&H, is there still a possibility for Training mode 2P VS?

Seriously the level of theory fighting and training mode tech from H&H is going to be too much to handle. I am immensely hyped for next week... now I just need to take my PS3 to some where that has a decent enough internet connection so I can at least download the update.

Also Dante is considered a "classic" Capcom character now even though he has been around for about 10 years.

It's been my impression that 2-player H&H will be possible in training mode. Unfortunately that's no good for tournaments, but at least it's good for messing around.

I think 10 years is enough time for something to be considered classic, though it helps if a character/franchise has had a lot of popularity/appearances in that time. I never actually played the Devil May Cry games, but I've been very aware of Dante and crew from the time of their debut. Largely due to Penny Arcade.

edit - My understanding of Devil May Cry prior to Marvel 3:

215187570_jyym4-L-2.jpg

215522719_JLCCq-L-2.jpg

247167522_sPHz3-L-2.jpg

ReiGun

Yesterday, someone told me they consider the PS2 "old-school" gaming. It was then I realized that I work on a very different time table than the rest of the world.

What are some characters you guys recommend using with Spider-Man? I've got some combos going with him, but I have no idea who to put on a team with him (except Doom, who I see Spidey players using a lot. Problem there is I really don't like playing with Doom).

Dahbomb

It was then I realized that I work on a very different time table than the rest of the world.
Agreed.

It's funny how much I take for granted that "everyone" has played old school games like SF2/MK1,2,3. I was having discussion about fighting games and I was like "well yeah you will like MK9 if you liked the original MK's" and then someone was like "but I never played the original MK games, they were made before I got into gaming" and I was just flabbergasted.

The PS2 is now considered old, the PS1 and everything before that is considered dinosaur age. I guess I am a dinosaur... a relic in gaming age yet I am only in my early 20's.

Edit: Man that DMC3 PA comic kills me... because it's SO 100% true. DMC3 is iconic mostly because the original NA release is considered by many to be one of the hardest games of the previous generation. Everyone in the game even veterans of the franchise died so much in the first few levels that they are offered Easy mode. Most people switch to Easy mode and even then they realize it's still hard as hell. It's because Easy was actually Normal and Normal was Hard... this was rectified in the now Special Edition of DMC3 where Easy is actually Easy and there is a proper checkpoint system now.

Ah the memories.

Zissou

Yesterday, someone told me they consider the PS2 "old-school" gaming. It was then I realized that I work on a very different time table than the rest of the world.

What are some characters you guys recommend using with Spider-Man? I've got some combos going with him, but I have no idea who to put on a team with him (except Doom, who I see Spidey players using a lot. Problem there is I really don't like playing with Doom).

Doom is the best. Learn to love latveria!

Agreed.

It's funny how much I take for granted that "everyone" has played old school games SF2/MK1,2,3. I was having discussion about fighting games and I was like "well yeah you will like MK9 if you liked the original MK's" and then someone was like "but I never played the original MK games, they were made before I got into gaming" and I was just flabbergasted.

The PS2 is now considered old, the PS1 and everything before that is considered dinosaur age. I guess I am a dinosaur... a relic in gaming age yet I am only in my early 20's.

I turn 27 in just over a week, and nothing makes me feel older than when I realize that when I was playing Pokemon, some of these new gamers weren't even born yet.

JeTmAn81

After I got into Marvel, I actually got a copy of Devil May Cry 1 off Goozex and tried to play it. I lost interest pretty quickly. The gameplay seemed entertaining enough, but the graphics were just way too dated. It's sad that some videogame art styles seem so difficult to go back to, as opposed to the simplicity of something like Chrono Trigger or Link to the Past that still seems very playable today (to me, anyway). I wonder what the new DmC will be like...

Hawkeye, Storm, Magneto, Taskmaster, Deadpool, Dormammu work pretty well IMO. Iron Man can, but then you're playing Iron Man. I think Akuma could too. Nova and Frank work okay.

Grecco

After I got into Marvel, I actually got a copy of Devil May Cry 1 off Goozex and tried to play it. I lost interest pretty quickly. The gameplay seemed entertaining enough, but the graphics were just way too dated. It's sad that some videogame art styles seem so difficult to go back to, as opposed to the simplicity of something like Chrono Trigger or Link to the Past that still seems very playable today (to me, anyway). I wonder what the new DmC will be like...

Just wait till the trilogy is released on XBLA/PSN graphics will look better and it will probably be 1000x better than DmC

Dahbomb

New DmC is going to be lame and not a true representation of what DMC is about. I just don't know how they are trying to pass that game off as DMC without it being 60FPS which is one of the reasons why I was mesmerized by it.

DMC1 and DMC3 have dated graphics for sure.... at least the HD re-release is coming out. To be honest I don't think I care about DMC as of right now until DmC is out and done with and Capcom announces a REAL DMC game. Until then I will be looking out for Metal Gear Rising.

Iron Man can, but then you're playing Iron Man.
What is that supposed to mean? :/

Azure J

Proud member of the "I started gaming with the NES" Elder Race here. :p

I turn 27 in just over a week, and nothing makes me feel older than when I realize that when I was playing Pokemon, some of these new gamers weren't even born yet.

Oddly enough, that reminds me of something I brought up with a friend a while back. There's an entire generation of kids playing Smash Bros. now who will not understand the joke/reference to getting a Goldeen instead of a proper land fighting Pokemon out of a Pokeball. Think about that.

Just wait till the trilogy is released on XBLA/PSN graphics will look better and it will probably be 1000x better than DmC

I really doubt they are going to release the trilogy online, since they're gonna release it as the HD re-release.

With that said, albeit I've "only" turned 24 a couple of days ago, I am very much an old gamer in terms of mindset and played games. Whenever I talk to people, I feel like a goddamn grandpa, although I'm not that old. :[

@Sixtyfortyfive:
That's hardly the point. :p

@AzureJericho:
My first game was Pong. Then Bubble Bobble.

ReiGun

Hawkeye, Storm, Magneto, Taskmaster, Deadpool, Dormammu work pretty well IMO. Iron Man can, but then you're playing Iron Man. I think Akuma could too. Nova and Frank work okay.

I played an absolutely horri-bad Iron Man in vanilla and loved it (cause fuck man, it's Tony Stark), so I don't mind the struggle. lol Deadpool was my main in vanilla, so I'll shove him with Spidey. I'll pick my third from Storm, Dorm, Hawkeye, and Nova. Thanks!

Proud member of the "I started gaming with the NES" Elder Race here. :p

Oddly enough, that reminds me of something I brought up with a friend a while back. There's an entire generation of kids playing Smash Bros. now who will not understand the joke/reference to getting a Goldeen instead of a proper land fighting Pokemon out of a Pokeball. Think about that.

One of the earliest memories I have is watching my mom play SMB. She got to world 8, but got distracted by something and forgot to pause. I couldn't really talk yet, so I couldn't warn her that she was about to get hit by something and lose her last life.

I'm a terrible son!

Dahbomb

I started with Atari but I didn't really get into gaming until the NES/Genesis/SNES era. Man back then I would play anything I could get my hands on no matter how good or bad it was. I am really surprised how I was able to beat games back then when gaming was hella hard. Imagine a Super Metroid game released in this age... people would shit on it for being too hard and getting lost so easily because you don't know where to go or what to do.

I'm just a college kid.
I'm a college kid too but this will be last year as a student of anything. I will then be adding a Dr in front a M.D. at the end of my name real soon. :)

My favorite things for feeling old is talking about movies that came out over a decade ago...

Like The Matrix.
And Fellowship of the Ring.

Also, Hidden Missiles lets Morrigan combo into Soul Drain twice in one combo.

Grecco

I really doubt they are going to release the trilogy online, since they're gonna release it as the HD re-release.

With that said, albeit I've "only" turned 24 a couple of days ago, I am very much an old gamer in terms of mindset and played games. Whenever I talk to people, I feel like a goddamn grandpa, although I'm not that old. :[

@Sixtyfortyfive:
That's hardly the point. :p

@AzureJericho:
My first game was Pong. Then Bubble Bobble.

I could have sworn they said the trilogy was a XBLA/PSN type rerelease and not retail. More like Resident Evil 4.

koryuken

I totally x-copied Combofiend's Ghost Rider team too.

I see that in tournaments a lot of people pick the MM Snow stage. I can see why although my favorite stage to pick is the Day Harrier stage. So clean and easy on the eyes especially to fight in, great theme music too (yes I have my game set to Stage Themes... get at me etc). What stages do you guys pick?

I used run Combo's team as my troll team, but I found that Unknown's team is much more effective as a troll team. Nemesis, Sentinel, Wesker.

Nemesis gets a hit you do ABC QCF+A S, sj BBCS Wesker Assist BCS, sj BCS land into Super, DHC into Sentinel Plasma Storm = dead character for 90% of the cast...Tag Nemesis back in. (and you still have XFLVL3 Wesker in the back for Cleanup)

Took me 5 minutes in training to learn the timing of said combo lol.

sephi22

Yo, finally sat down for some ranked matches and went from 9th Lord to 6th Lord in 50 matches. I'm sure I made a lot of people salty with Haggar/Doom/Sentinel.

Sentinel H spam + Doom missiles = Instant laggy match win button. I kinda felt dirty after those matches.
My favorite matches were the ones where I landed a Haggar touch of death or H hoodlum launcher 'infinite'. Good times.

Also made this to troll a friend who plays Skrull as his main.
sje1z.jpg

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
My first console was a PlayStation. I did have a hand-me-down Genesis but I never even had it set up. My parents didn't understand videogames and didn't know what the memory card was for so they ended up returning it..... Was never able to save any of my games. Though I did get an N64 I think 2 years later, that was fun, I could actually save progress on the damn thing.

Yo, finally sat down for some ranked matches and went from 9th Lord to 6th Lord in 50 matches. I'm sure I made a lot of people salty with Haggar/Doom/Sentinel.

Wow in one sitting? Daaamn.

My first console was an NES, not counting the computers of my father I played on (Atari, Amiga, C64, and of course the Pong machine).

I could have sworn they said the trilogy was a XBLA/PSN type rerelease and not retail. More like Resident Evil 4.

It would make little sense to release them as online versions if there's the HD version coming out early next year. But who knows, Capcom been really weird lately. According to the article, though, the trilogy's release on XBL/PSN was rumored before, and then they confirmed the HD re-release.

Edit: I said "this year"... although it's close to 2012, it's still 2011. Herpderp.

LMAO @ these card effects:

44e32101c4e7247ad02efc49ed8a66df.jpg

Godot

Primary slot: Switch Hyper Combo gauges with your opponent upon activation of X-Factor (LULZ PHOENIX COUNTER)

Secondary slot: When you have only one character remaining and their vitality is 50% or less, HC gauge will refill automatically [Lv 1]

that helps phoenix teams more than it hurts it. dark phoenix transformation drains all 5 bars, and then you activate x-factor to steal your opponents bar giving them 0, meaning she won't get randomed out by random gimlets. it wouldn't make much sense for a non-phoenix team to run this card, but if they do, the phoenix team can simply counter x-factor. the hc gauge replenishing is also perfect for phoenix, because this will mean she'll always have meter to use healing fields.

MILES EDGEWORTH

Primary: Gain a fixed amount of HC gauge upon activation of X-Factor [Lv 3]

Secondary: Gain a fixed amount of HC gauge upon activation of X-Factor [Lv 2]
useful for anchors that need meter i guess. dorm, ryu, arthur, strider, etc. anchors would love this.

Von Karma

Primary: Attack strength increases as vitality decreases [Lv 3] Increases the duration of X-Factor [Lv 1]

Secondary: Gain super armor when the timer reaches 30 (Uses HC gauge upon hit) [Lv 1]

These effects aren't as broken as I thought they would be. At least these 3 aren't. I like that super armor uses HC.
i like this card quite a bit actually. it can be used for general purpose, but i think it's best suited for zoning/keepaway teams that like to run out the clock. i'm assuming that the attack strength increase will also count for chip damage. imagine nova having like 10% life left, combined with the red life bonus, it'll be insta-kill hyper lol.

Azure J

Wow people here are like adults, with all the real life stuff. I'm just a college kid.

Hey man, I'm only 22 and change. Still in college as well, but that's a story for OT-GAF.

One of the earliest memories I have is watching my mom play SMB. She got to world 8, but got distracted by something and forgot to pause. I couldn't really talk yet, so I couldn't warn her that she was about to get hit by something and lose her last life.

I'm a terrible son!

Real talk, I probably wouldn't be playing games if I wasn't introduced to them in a trial by fire kind of way. My aunt was a big time gamer and had a NES in our house that three year old me referred to as the "second VCR". One time I got curious and asked what it did and my mom & aunt busted it out and started playing SMB, Duck Hunt & Tetris. I didn't know what the hell was going on but I was hype as fuck because "OMG THEY'RE CONTROLLING THINGS INSIDE THE TV!"

Little did I know that my aunt was a bitch and would then have me play with her for high scores/see if I could play the games at all. I got bodied fraaaay in Tetris, didn't know how to jump in SMB (damn first goomba...) and my aunt laughing at me changed it from casual fun and games to "srs mode" real quick.

That was the beginning of a long love affair with video games and gaming culture that still burns strong. :D

I started with Atari but I didn't really get into gaming until the NES/Genesis/SNES era. Man back then I would play anything I could get my hands on no matter how good or bad it was. I am really surprised how I was able to beat games back then when gaming was hella hard. Imagine a Super Metroid game released in this age... people would shit on it for being too hard and getting lost so easily because you don't know where to go or what to do.

I'm a college kid too but this will be last year as a student of anything. I will then be adding a Dr in front a M.D. at the end of my name real soon. :)

I was pretty much the same with regards to playing anything and enjoying it, except poor. :lol

I didn't get to experience a lot of games growing up/in their era, but I always found the time to get back to them, and I love it so much it pretty much made being a spectator monster fun in its own little ways. It's also great to play the really good ones now during periods where I break myself away from what's going down in the mainstream. I played Super Metroid fully for the first time in 2008-9 thanks to a lttp thread here, and 2010 was my first experience with Chrono Trigger. Now, thanks to all the fighter hype, the past year has been all about playing different fighters, although fighters are something I've had more experience with thanks to old coin ops that used to be littered about Brooklyn. Third Strike machine in my old High School pizzeria, that got swapped out for a MvC2 cab? Fucking godlike in retrospect. :lol

Good shit @ getting your doctor's license btw. :D

This video is so good. Megaman X is the shit.

Dahbomb

that helps phoenix teams more than it hurts it. dark phoenix transformation drains all 5 bars, and then you activate x-factor to steal your opponents bar giving them 0, meaning she won't get randomed out by random gimlets. it wouldn't make much sense for a non-phoenix team to run this card, but if they do, the phoenix team can simply counter x-factor. the hc gauge replenishing is also perfect for phoenix, because this will mean she'll always have meter to use healing fields.
THE THEORY FIGHTING IS AMAZING! I never looked at it like that but I still maintain that it's also an anti-Phoenix card. You touch Phoenix at 5 bars, X factor before the kill swapping the meters and land the killing blow. You are now at 5 bars with X factor on while they are at low meter without Phoenix/Dark Phoenix.

useful for anchors that need meter i guess. dorm, ryu, arthur, strider, etc. anchors would love this.
It's the ultimate Vergil card. Since I can't gain meter during Devil Trigger... assuming this gives me like 2 bars on activation. I can land a 1 meter combo in DT, X factor giving me the meter I need to Dark Angel and then TOD.

sephi22

Wow in one sitting? Daaamn.
Well, I had 9th lord partly done, so I did the rest of the half to 8th lord, 8th to 7th, and 7th to 6th. Don't know how impressive that is.

In vanilla week 1, I had a 76 win streak in ranked with Taskmaster/Haggar/Sentinel. Beat Redrapper twice while making that streak. Reached 4th lord then stopped playing ranked.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Well, I had 9th lord partly done, so I did the rest of the half to 8th lord, 8th to 7th, and 7th to 6th. Don't know how impressive that is.

In vanilla week 1, I had a 76 win streak in ranked with Taskmaster/Haggar/Sentinel. Beat Redrapper twice while making that streak. Reached 4th lord then stopped playing ranked.

Banging 50 games out in one session is impressive. I myself only played a total of 57 ranked games (51-6 yo ughhhh).

I loved that.

Sentinel H spam + Doom missiles = Instant laggy match win button. I kinda felt dirty after those matches.
My favorite matches were the ones where I landed a Haggar touch of death or H hoodlum launcher 'infinite'. Good times.

Also made this to troll a friend who plays Skrull as his main.
sje1z.jpg
Skrull + Dark Harmonizer removes the yes/no question. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom