• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

He's been running that team since like day 2 of Ultimate. Pretty much bodies everyone when he comes to Option Select sessions.

Also I don't know why you shouldn't run that team. People run pro teams all the time. Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma was one of the most picked teams in vanilla. Hell I made my start in the game by x-copying Justin Wong's original team. I then later x-copied Maximillian's IM/Wesker team and then combined them together in various teams. I have no shame in admitting this. In fact I have been brushing up my Zero in Ultimate because with the way things are headed it seems that one ought to know this character inside and out anyway.

I totally x-copied Combofiend's Ghost Rider team too.

I see that in tournaments a lot of people pick the MM Snow stage. I can see why although my favorite stage to pick is the Day Harrier stage. So clean and easy on the eyes especially to fight in, great theme music too (yes I have my game set to Stage Themes... get at me etc). What stages do you guys pick?

Neki

He's been running that team since like day 2 of Ultimate. Pretty much bodies everyone when he comes to Option Select sessions.

Also I don't know why you shouldn't run that team. People run pro teams all the time. Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma was one of the most picked teams in vanilla. Hell I made my start in the game by x-copying Justin Wong's original team. I then later x-copied Maximillian's IM/Wesker team and then combined them together in various teams. I have no shame in admitting this. In fact I have been brushing up my Zero in Ultimate because with the way things are headed it seems that one ought to know this character inside and out anyway.

I totally x-copied Combofiend's Ghost Rider team too.

yo man I don't want to jump on the bandwagon. gotta run those unique teams like Q and body people regardless of tier, amirite.

rocking vanilla in mid tier, rocking ultimate in mid tier

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
A friend of mine had a shortlist of about 10 characters he wanted to play before MvC3 came out. This list included Wesker, Haggar, and Phoenix, which is what he had distilled his main team down to within about 1 week of the game's release. "Yeah, these 3 seem pretty good." I remember anchoring Hsien-ko against that nonsense. Fun times.

I did not hesitate one moment after EVO concluded to text him and call him a tier whore, lol.

Dahbomb

My shortlist of 10 characters I wanted to play/hyped for vanilla:

Dante (my #1 most wanted from my #1 favorite series... this one was a no brainer)
Wolverine (he's my all time favorite Marvel character in the VS series)
Wesker (seriously I have been wanting him in the Marvel games forever and he's my favorite RE character)
Zero (another one of my most wanted characters... favorite MM character)
Iron Man (swaggest hero of all time)
Dormammu (ballsy pick and I loved the way they designed him)
Trish (I would've liked Vergil over him in vanilla but I respected her inclusion. It was ballsy but it paid off, her style is awesome)
Phoenix (I always wanted Phoenix in the game)
Thor (another classic Marvel pick)

Top 5 for Ultimate:

1) Vergil (...... Come on guys)
2) Ghost Rider (always wanted him in the game... too bad he is SUPER LAME AS FUCK but I will always have a Rider team)
3) Strider (duh... MVC1 vet)
4) Nova (love his design and general bad assery... he is almost as swag as IM)
5) Hawkeye (at first I was meh when they announced him... then I saw his moveset and options. Was blown away and couldn't wait to try him out. He was every bit as good as I thought he would be. No matter what happens in this game as far rushdown vs zoning goes... Hawkeye will be relevant)

mr. puppy

Banned

?

oh horseshit, i can find a ton of times in the old mvc threads where you got hatemail for using team BFF and claim you came up with the team on your own

Azure J

Oh, we're doing this now? As a foreword, I was literally a complete newbie to fighting games and the fighting scene and after watching West Coast Warzone (one part because of the amazingly long thread and the title at the time which boiled down to "come watch this shit right the fuck now, Neo VS. Clockwork, get hype!" I didn't know what to expect and got to watch the single best thing I've ever seen in video game competition right there. It wa right after that I said that I needed to jump into this genre already, and MVC3 was right around the corner.

1. Dante - Seriously, I'd buy any fighter/combat based game with this character in it. He was designed for this shit and it shows in his MVC3 incarnation. That they even went a step further and used his DMC3 appearance was just an extra amount of awesome for me.

2. Zero - Big time Megaman head here. Honestly, if you asked me what Capcom franchises are my personal big 3, Megaman, Devil May Cry & Darkstalkers would top the list every time. I find it insane though that this character came out as godlike as he did.

3. Hsien-Ko - My favorite Darkstalker and would be main in Vampire Saviour in Mahvel? It sounded too good to be true, and unfortunately it was. :(

Still doesn't stop me from changing my stance that at first glance, this was a pretty "FUCK YEA" moment for me.

4. Phoenix - I'm a minority but I'll stick by this opinion forever, I loved Jean in Vanilla. What I hated was stupid X-Factor bonuses turning her into derp mode and no real counters to her getting her meter to give people a chance for smart play on both ends. I just liked her because her game play design was so different. I'll also never forget being a scrub and chatting it up in the vanilla threads with Sixfortyfive way before the first real Dark Phoenix waves wondering why no one was using the character yet. Also, I still believe in Phoenix on point. :lol

5. Dormammu - Being mildly acquainted with the Doctor Strange lore (thanks to a supposedly really bad animated movie I saw a year or so prior), Dormington showing up was a huge thing, mainly because of one part "I know this guy!" and one part "POWER OF THE POWER OF THE". I'm also pretty glad to see the community embrace him with all the different little quirks they've coined with him.

6. C. Viper - This one was interesting because at the start of Vanilla, I didn't really know her potential and couldn't really see it with my lack of fighting game knowledge. Then MarlinPie happened. I couldn't dream to have that level of execution without spending an absurd amount of time in the lab (like I didn't waste years of life already in training mode for Smash Bros. :lol) ut good C. Viper play in Marvel, much like in the SFIV series always gets me going.

7. Tron - Always liked this character even if I hardly touch heavy type characters in these games. I still wanna find a niche for her in one of my endless team combinations. Also, who can deny the charm of gripping a Dark Phoenix/problem character in clutch fashion for a comeback? :D

8. Ameterasu - The first time I heard this character was in, I had my finest "wat.son" face on. The character turning out so versatile all but assured that she'd see a position on one of my teams sooner or later.

9. Iron Man - My favorite of the big name Marvel heroes, gotta pay him some respect on this list, even if I haven't talked much about him in this game.

10. Morrigan - With all of her flaws at the time, I still found myself enjoying theory developing with her on my team thanks to her meter assist and Ikaruga play with Astral Vision Soul Fists. Much respect went out to anyone using her on stream or in Marvel GAF.

Honorable Mentions: Spencer & She-Hulk. Being two-thirds of Team Bionic Arm 1.0, I don't think I need any more reasons to validate then as per the development of Vanilla's metagame. :lol

When Ultimate hit and the characters were revealed, it was pretty interesting to say the least, but top 5 would be:

1. Vergil - My first thought process was literally "holy shit, DMC3 all up in this bitch." As that is one of my favorite games in the history of games, this was a massive win for me.

2. Doctor Strange - Then I saw Doc here and got even more hype. It's quite funny how I didn't think it'd happen when the roster already had two prominent villains from his lore already.

3. Firebrand - First bits of info and video, and I already said to myself that this character was going to be the late game problem. Even now, as no one is saying anything or playing him enough, I say that once someone figures him out, he's going to have folks raging like we're playing Ghosts. n' Goblins for real. :lol

4. Strider - My first introduction to Mahvel was Clockw0rk's Strider/Doom running a train at WCW, of course I was hyped with this announcement. Being fast as fuck and full of options also ensured that I'd enjoy the character when playing.

5. Iron Fist - One part due to our resident Iron Fist hypeman shaowebb going off when the announcement was made and one part due to Wong's performances with the character. I hope to see a lot more of him in the future. I'm also still tempted to run a team with him.

smurfx

get some go again
god damn flocker

I was going to run a Zero/Vergil/Hawkeye.

now I just look like a poser.
first it was taskmaster and now you want to use zero and hawkeye? why you jocking my style ultimoo? the only characters i was excited for when mvc3 came out was dante and haggar. haggar was definitely my most anticipated character.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The characters I was most hyped for in Vanilla Marvel were Dante, Morrigan, Wesker, and Deadpool. I'm a huge fan of the respective properties. Devil May Cry 3 is one of my favorite games of all time.

I made a team of Dante, Wesker, and Morrigan on day 1. And I carried it over as my main to Ultimate.

I was super excited about Phoenix Wright, Ghost Rider, and Vergil from the leaked list in Ultimate.

Fosh

Neo Member
I see that in tournaments a lot of people pick the MM Snow stage. I can see why although my favorite stage to pick is the Day Harrier stage. So clean and easy on the eyes especially to fight in, great theme music too (yes I have my game set to Stage Themes... get at me etc). What stages do you guys pick?

Its directly to the right of random. I think thats why it gets picked over the carrier air show.

vanilla:
1. spidey
2. hulk
3. zero
4. cap
5. felicia
6. morrigan
7. haggar
8. storm
9. trish
10. chris

my original team was spidey/felicia/cap, then evolved to zero/hulk/haggar, then switched to spidey/zero/morrigan.

ultimate:
1. hawkeye
2. iron fist
3. nova
4. strider
5. rocket racoon

day 1 hawkeye and nova was awesome, but iron fist was too complicated for me. i ended up dropping them all because i still prefer the vanilla cast.

currently working on a few new teams... one of them is cap/chun/strider. really need to find a new team for storm.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Regard with Phoenix Wright Nerfs

I wouldn't be surprise if it is not only assists that are getting nerf. My feeling is telling me that they are going to nerf other thing about him.

Level 3
Assists
Hammer Hyper (It would cause a damage to himself as well)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Regard with Phoenix Wright Nerfs

I wouldn't be surprise if it is not only assists that are getting nerf. My feeling is telling me that they are going to nerf other thing about him.

Level 3
Assists
Hammer Hyper (It would cause a damage to himself as well)

This would make me so sad. Assists? Maybe make him punishable at the very end of it, in my opinion. I don't think that would actually change much, but it would give a legitimate punish window. Enough to satisfy anyone who complains about him, I hope.

The Hammer hyper was never overpowered. Yeah, his Level 3 does huge damage, hits everywhere, and has practically no startup... but you're also giving up 3 meters and Turnabout mode.

Chavelo

Mark my words, GAF. If Phoenix Wright gets the Nerf Hammer before Wesker in this stupid game on the next patch, I'm dropping this shit. KOFXIII and my ever-growing Steam backlog (150+) will welcome me with open arms.

/notsaltyatall

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mark my words, GAF. If Phoenix Wright gets the Nerf Hammer before Wesker in this stupid game on the next patch, I'm dropping this shit. KOFXIII and my ever-growing Steam backlog (150+) will welcome me with open arms.

/notsaltyatall
What if they both get the nerf hammer simultaneously?

(thanks to a supposedly really bad animated movie I saw a year or so prior)

The fuck? The Dr. Strange animated movie is awesome.

Speaking of movies, I finally completed my Marvel live action library (sans the ever-elusive TV movies like Nick Fury and... well... Howard the Duck, which I refuse to accept as Marvel movie...), so I'll soon start trying to get ahold of the animated movies. YAY!

Lothars

I hope they don't nerf anyone in this patch mainly just bug fixes, If they do nerf Pheonix Wright's assist, I hope it would be like suggested where he doesn't get bad evidence anymore but hopefully there are no nerfs.
That would be okay but who knows.

Warpticon

I don't get this sentiment. The next patch is supposed to be a bugfix, not a balance patch. If they change that about PW, it's because they consider that a bug. Characterizing it as them making a balance change to a character that didn't need it is silly, even if you disagree with the choice.

Neki

first it was taskmaster and now you want to use zero and hawkeye? why you jocking my style ultimoo? the only characters i was excited for when mvc3 came out was dante and haggar. haggar was definitely my most anticipated character.

taskmaster didn't fit my playstyle though. his movement just doesn't jive with me. I need those air dashes and teleports.

and nova was my character out of left field that I suddenly liked, but wasn't hyped for until I tried him.

DR2K

Banned
Wesker deserves buffs. We he loses Sunglasses he gets access to Hsienko's gold armor, she loses it, fuck that bitch.

I don't get this sentiment. The next patch is supposed to be a bugfix, not a balance patch. If they change that about PW, it's because they consider that a bug. Characterizing it as them making a balance change to a character that didn't need it is silly, even if you disagree with the choice.

But is a bug really something that someone like SKill kept mentioning as one of the strengths of the character before the game came out? If they take it out and claim it's a bug it'll be complete BS because they've always been aware of it :/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What if Wesker's bonuses were a glitch that were supposed to be debuffs he gets? And It was all inverted? Granted this probably isn't the case, whatever you rationalize these fixes as being, they ultimately affect balance and that's what matters.

zlatko

Banned
UMvC3: Hyped for Iron Fist. Was not at all hyped for Nova. Now my whole team is made around Nova. He nets me so much hate mail. <3

Vanilla: Zero hype. Loved him in TvC and the X series. Made my team around him and it was super cheaaaap stuff.

Chavelo

Then it would be totally fine. Maybe a bit salty in the beginning, but at least it would mean that Capcom is actually getting the hang of doing patches the right way.

Remember the Sentinel emergency patch? :3 We're talking about Capcom here... and I still need to see why it's actually considered a bug in the first place...

EDIT: Or that, Enzo_gt. You're in there like clock... work...

PUNS UP IN THIS BITCH, WE HAZ THEM

Wesker deserves buffs. We he loses Sunglasses he gets access to Hsienko's gold armor, she loses it, fuck that bitch.

Was gonna say something along the lines "How the hell does one not know how to deal with Hsien-ko" then I saw who posted it. I then LOL'd. You always bring the laughs, DR2K. :D

Degen

Hate mail really does confirm that you're playing correctly. It's a big reason I keep Ghost Rider (savior of UMvC3) on the squad

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's hard for me to see Capcom as mindlessly shitting on fans over the replay issue when they went so far out of their way to make the H&H mode and stuff like that.

It's not that Capcom is "shitting" the way upset folk like to say. It's more that they're very inconsistent. That's their real issue. They do some things which are legitimately great, then do other things that are letdowns in equal proportion.

H&H is a good example - they pushed for a meaty fun/campaign mode and fleshed it out very well, but then couldn't add a proper local versus mode due to prior inconsistent decisions regarding building profile support into their Japanese developed fighting games. Capcom giveth and taketh away.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Stop shifting the blame. Capcom could have made any number of rinky dink changes and used that as a special feature, but they chose to make it replay mode.
They are equally as guilty in my eyes. Capcom maybe a bit more, but this wouldn't have occurred had it not been for the big dogs demanding exclusives.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
If I played characters I actually liked I'd be playing Spiderman, Zero, Nova. Thing is that I dislike how these characters play. For me its gameplay over character loyalty.

If I played characters I actually liked I'd be playing Spiderman, Zero, Nova. Thing is that I dislike how these characters play. For me its gameplay over character loyalty.
so gameplay wise, what characters do you like?

i think skrull is one of the most fun characters in the game, but the character itself does nothing for me.

karsticles said:
This also makes me realize that there is absolutely NO reason not to TAC with Morrigan after a corner combo.
if spending a 2nd bar would mean a kill, i'd take the guaranteed kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom