• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
lol god you all are spoiled. i had mvc2 on dreamcast where there were like 5 viable characters, no modes, 1 fucking song repeated over and over for the character select screen, and no balance changes. this game is god tier right now.
MvC3 isn't an arcade port, but Japan didn't get the memo.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That there's no offline vs mode is understandable within the context that the Japanese teams NEVER put local profile support in fighting game offline versus modes - not just Capcom, almost nobody. Namco, Arc System Works, whoever. Local versus just logs in P1, they even get achievements, and P2 is a guest / anonymous.

The only fighting game of the last few years that has profile support and even a proper multiplayer profile login screen is Third Strike Online, which was produced by a western designer. It's telling that only 3SO also has full replay recording for local, offline matches too. There's a big perceptual hole in the way Japanese teams approach these games.

The terribly inexcusable thing tho is that H&H is totally anti-social *online* as well, with no non-ranked player invites or battle rooms - THAT is a feature they already had code for, complete with spectator support now! The only reason I can imagine it's not there, is complete refusal by the designers (not suits) to see H&H as anything other than an online campaign mode where you fight randoms from the other faction for the global metagame.

I would be shocked if Seth Killian NEVER, ever, mentioned to anyone in the pipeline that players were going to want to play ability card matches with friends, and unranked, as well as official matches. If it never occurred to Seth either, holy crap, for shame on you Mr. Killian. Somebody in the chain of command should have known better than this.

Dahbomb

If you're playing online with H&H, it is absolutely imperative that you have an anti-chip card. I cannot stress this enough.
There's only 2 anti-chip card I believe.

Anyone figure out what the Lady card does?

I was right in one more thing with the patch.. Hulk's infinite is patched. Tried doing it and no go. Is this a confirmed change?

GatorBait

I would be shocked if Seth Killian NEVER, ever, mentioned to anyone in the pipeline that players were going to want to play ability card matches with friends, and unranked, as well as official matches. If it never occurred to Seth either, holy crap, for shame on you Mr. Killian. Somebody in the chain of command should have known better than this.
First thought I had when hearing about H&H was, "Holy shit! This sounds like an awesome and hilarious mode to play against my friends with!"

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
First thought I had when hearing about H&H was, "Holy shit! This sounds like an awesome and hilarious mode to play against my friends with!"

Exactly. I don't really care for playing this mode against randoms but would love to dick around with friends in this.

lol god you all are spoiled. i had mvc2 on dreamcast where there were like 5 viable characters, no modes, 1 fucking song repeated over and over for the character select screen, and no balance changes. this game is god tier right now.
That was nearly ten years ago, bro.
Never did I claim the balance changes weren't Niitsuma's fuckup, I was talking entirely about the modes/vita exclusives/cut characters and DLC/etc.

We don't even have barely any idea what's happening over at Capcom offices. I'm certain that Niitsuma is at least mostly with the fans regarding the game, and you'd have to be blind to not be able to see that Ono is getting every single cent while Niitsuma has been left with the bare minimum of finances; the time constraints are also partly Marvel's fault with their retarded licensing issues.

Anyway. Fuck Capcom. They can kiss my ass. I love the games they make, but for the love of god, if they even get ME to start hating them, there's something seriously wrong. And I'm done with MarvelGAF, too.
I'm gonna be absorbed in other stuff next year too and steam sales are gonna be INSAAAAAAAAANE this week so I won't be around that much either.

See you on the flipside.
This thread got so salty
I remember accidentally swallowing a bit of sea water at a beach in the Dominican Republic called Palence that is known for being mad salty. This goes beyond that experience for sure lol.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't hated a game this generation for being so mediocre as much as I hated Web of Shadows. My fucking GOD, that game, man...

I kinda liked that game, at least up until the point where everything goes to shit because the engine can't handle all the enemies that are spawning.

Dahbomb

Oh and I already had Phoenix Wright in the lowest tier in the game (right there with Hsien Ko). Unless there are some shadow buffs to Wright that I don't know about... Wright is officially forever alone in his own tier of "F" named "FREENIX TIER".

The tier list is essentially SABC F. Like there are two gaps in the tier list to show you the difference in quality of the worst character and the next worst character which is probably Hsien Ko who is firmly in C tier.

Wright gets nerfed, but Wesker stays the same. Staying consistent there Capcom.

Whilst I agree the assist was the only thing Phoenix had going for him it was also way more broken than anything any other character in the game can do. I'm not surprised it was nerfed ahead of characters who are seen as too powerful in the first month.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Oh and I already had Phoenix Wright in the lowest tier in the game (right there with Hsien Ko). Unless there are some shadow buffs to Wright that I don't know about... Wright is officially forever alone in his own tier of "F" named "FREENIX TIER".

Faster Maya startup. That's it, as far as I know. Don't really care, never ever planned to go near Phoenix, but I feel for those that did have the ambition to main him.

FSLink

Banned
Faster Maya startup. That's it, as far as I know. Don't really care, never ever planned to go near Phoenix, but I feel for those that did have the ambition to main him.

Yeah and it's not really useful since he can still be grabbed out of it or get blown up by teleports. :/

Degen

Okay, Professor X is officially a waste of a card spot. Same "rare" cards over and over again

There's only 2 anti-chip card I believe.

Anyone figure out what the Lady card does?

I was right in one more thing with the patch.. Hulk's infinite is patched. Tried doing it and no go. Is this a confirmed change?
Confirmed, not that I ever took it seriously or knew anyone who did

Kai Dracon

What happened in this thread is proof Capcom has no fucking idea what to do with this game series.

No, it's this kind of Capcom troll that's pure hyperbole. The reason why people are upset is BECAUSE the game is this >--< close to greatness (unless you're DR2K) and they did a hell of a lot of things right with it.

The problem with Capcom isn't that they're incompetent, but they're inconsistent. They tend to stop just short of adding every feature needed or polishing every rough edge, and don't seem aware that with just a tiny bit more effort they would have been golden.

So people get frustrated that they must keep complaining about that one little thing that is keeping the game from reaching its full potential.

paul187

This thread got so salty

Seriously.

As someone who plays Wright, he needed those assists nerfed. That shit is way beyond cheap to be able to stop anything at will, by a character who will not receive any damage. Having a joke character that strong was really silly to me.

I don't even think Wesker is all that bad either. Top tier for sure, not an instant win button.

JeTmAn81

Seriously.

As someone who plays Wright, he needed those assists nerfed. That shit is way beyond cheap to be able to stop anything at will, by a character who will not receive any damage. Having a joke character that strong was really silly to me.

I don't even think Wesker is all that bad either. Top tier for sure, not an instant win button.

As a Wright player, how much trouble do you have with teleporters? I've played some Wrights where I'm right on top of them with my Dante but they always have Maya up and never seem to get hit, even from behind.

FSLink

Banned
Seriously.

Yeah I agree he should have had them nerfed but to lose all invincibility was a bit much (and even then people figured out that you could hit him from behind). I was hoping for hyper armor. :/
And yeah, as a Wright player I get blown up by teleporters often. Especially Vergil. Dante's pretty easy to avoid since his teleports go in the same place.

paul187

As a Wright player, how much trouble do you have with teleporters? I've played some Wrights where I'm right on top of them with my Dante but they always have Maya up and never seem to get hit, even from behind.

A bunch. Though with teleporters they can be really predictable, so stay mid screen, wait and punish. You don't have to get all the evidence as soon as possible. I never look for evidence unless an assist hits. Or if I got 2 bars I can THC with Dante then look for evidence while they are in block stun.

Yeah I agree he should have had them nerfed but to lose all invincibility was a bit much (and even then people figured out that you could hit him from behind). I was hoping for hyper armor. :/

Well, I haven't played it yet post patch so I dunno how terrible it is. Does it act the same way as the assist before turnabout mode? I agree that it should have been Hsien-Ko like. Fully invincible, but still takes damage.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's this kind of Capcom troll that's pure hyperbole. The reason why people are upset is BECAUSE the game is this >--< close to greatness (unless you're DR2K) and they did a hell of a lot of things right with it.

The problem with Capcom isn't that they're incompetent, but they're inconsistent. They tend to stop just short of adding every feature needed or polishing every rough edge, and don't seem aware that with just a tiny bit more effort they would have been golden.

So people get frustrated that they must keep complaining about that one little thing that is keeping the game from reaching its full potential.

This sums it up best. It's like they made the best Pizza Hawaii and they're proudly announcing a new crust for their pizza which you're very excited for (work with me here) only to find out the new crust only comes with the plain margherita pizzas. They already have the damn pineapple and since their Hawaii is the best selling pizza you're scratching your head why they just can't include those toppings, but they adamantly refuse.

Maybe not the best analogy but hey you get where I'm going with this. I really love the game, but it would be so easy to make it quite a bit better, but the guy in the kitchen won't deviate from his way of cooking.

Degen

Soki/Green Goblin/Cyber Blue

Ground attack boost, air attack boost, overall attack boost after KOing their first character, extra armor, triple jump.

Neutralize

Beef vs Degen. Make it happen.
monday night is "party all night" night

...night

So it's not Nitsuma's fault that H&H lacks offline co-op?
So it's not Nitsuma's fault that the Vita version has more features than the console version? Features that are commonplace in most console games this gen?

Offline H&H would have to be tweaked so that you don't get cards per battle or something. Much the same way there is no versus CPU option, because it didn't make sense to the design team, they probably said "well, they can do it in training mode if they really want to, problem solved."

Venfayth

So I haven't played mvc before I picked up umvc3 a few weeks ago. Is hsien-ko bad, or something?

I was messing around with her yesterday and found her tremendously fun. Any good stuff to know about her, or good partners?

DR2K

Banned
Offline H&H would have to be tweaked so that you don't get cards per battle or something. Much the same way there is no versus CPU option, because it didn't make sense to the design team, they probably said "well, they can do it in training mode if they really want to, problem solved."

My bet is they're going to be selling cards as DLC.

The tier list is essentially SABC F. Like there are two gaps in the tier list to show you the difference in quality of the worst character and the next worst character which is probably Hsien Ko who is firmly in C tier.

What is your tier list, Dahbomb?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Added 3 wins to the heralds side online, then spent about 2 hours grinding away in the campaign. Hawkeye+Taskmaster makes it as predictably easy as I thought it would be, so I'm using nothing but cards that increase the frequency of rare cards since the AI doesn't put up a fight at all. Over 40% collected so far.

Is there any benefit to clearing multiple rows on a hit list at the same time (other than the specific title unlocks for doing exactly that)? Just wondering whether I should be trying to clear out hit lists as fast as possible or putting them off until I can score multiple lines at the same time.

You do realize without grinding that you won't have all the cards right?

So the point of HnH offline mode would be void.

Won't be able to build the decks you want to. Anyway tourneys could set up a LAN for HnH online if they really want to do a tourney.
How difficult could it possibly be to allow 2 players to pick 3 cards each out of those that have been unlocked on that game save?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
They fixed a very broken thing (invincible assist)

unfortunately, it was the only good thing about Wright in the internet's opinion

Damn I am so salty about that. That was seriously he's best/only redeeming quality. Honestly his Turnabout Mode isn't that amazing since it's so short. The only thing someone has to do is hold block and you can't really do shit in Turnabout.

... As it stands now Phoenix is best played in Investigation Mode where you can use Maya for schenigans. If you manage to catch someone in a combo your best bet is to finish the combo with the Judge Hyper.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Added 3 wins to the heralds side online, then spent about 2 hours grinding away in the campaign. Hawkeye+Taskmaster makes it as predictably easy as I thought it would be, so I'm using nothing but cards that increase the frequency of rare cards since the AI doesn't put up a fight at all. Over 40% collected so far.

Is there any benefit to clearing multiple rows on a hit list at the same time (other than the specific title unlocks for doing exactly that)? Just wondering whether I should be trying to clear out hit lists as fast as possible or putting them off until I can score multiple lines at the same time.

How difficult could it possibly be to allow 2 players to pick 3 cards each out of those that have been unlocked on that game save?

I hope offline H&H picks up. The AI is stupid ass easy. They just stand there like the AI on Very Hard and get hit all day by Firebrand's Unblockable.

Degen

it's cuz we found some crazy undiscovered technology with wright, man

bcJ49.jpg

undiscovered technology.

Not hard but then you get to card numbers which makes it a race to pick your characters first typically. And then if the number 1 player doesn't have all the cards unlocked.....

So that is the issue.

A way to fix it would to give HnH its own interface where each player could make an username to use there respective decks and save it.

But then takes more data space. But would allow the person to transfer it over to a jump drive so they can take there cards and data with them.

EDIT: Hsien Ko takes damage, Wright o did not.

Kai Dracon

Has anyone found out yet what happens if you capture all territories 100% in offline H&H? Do they reset to 0% for another go round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom