• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Man, I couldn't care less about whatever would cause them to do such a stupid thing. They've been hearing people ask for spectator mode, more custom slots and replays since Vanilla came out. I guess one out of three ain't bad, right?

Seriously, who playing the handheld version is going to care enough about hitboxes to bother with it, in comparison to all of the people with the system version training to get better? I suck at the game and I need to pick up the new testament. It would be easier for me if something like this was in the main version. Guess I should cop a vita, no?

Half of the excuses they made regarding why something isn't in the game have been vapid and nonsensical, at least. I feel bad for Seth. It's his job, but damn. This gen's Capcom has been on that bullshit.

vg260

You accuse me of not knowing the engine, yet you act like you know the restrictions of the engine. I think it makes a lot more sense to assume that developers can do things, rather than assuming things they can't do.

And at 5 dollars a piece, look at how well Jill and Shuma turned out.

HINT: not very well

I thought the price point was reasonable. Completely unique new characters and movesets +missions usable in all modes. Look at Batman AC character packs, and tell me these were a bad value by comparison.

The reason for failure was the character choices.

Guys, take a break and play another game or something. Nothing worng with playing multiple fighting games. I just picked up KOF13 and I recommend you do so as well.

Except that it is not how it works. Some game engines are not capable of such a drastic change, like SFIV could not handle SSFIV as a "DLC". Same for MVC3, I imagine Nitsuma's team to be more old-school when it comes to thinking ahead.
His team is probably too broke and overworked to think ahead.
Guys, take a break and play another game or something. Nothing worng with playing multiple fighting games. I just picked up KOF13 and I recommend you do so as well.
Yeah, this kind of thing can do wonders. I'll never give up on Capcom fighters completely and breaks help to ease the tension.

Man, heralds and heros expose the fact I only know really basic chain combos. I am rocking Doom Hulk Sent right now (Team Heavy Metal) but can only get the Doom combos in the corner.

Heralds and Heroes is basically the only reason why I am playing this game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fing Fam Foom and Mandarin as secondaries is too good of a combination. I am steamrolling every single battle within seconds in H&H Offline.

Pretentious? I do not understand why the comment shows that, honestly. SFIV team IS more competent when it comes to features and tech than Mahvel-team, and even they could not handle a thing like that. Therefore it is not assuming that they are idiots, it is that simply they were NOT preparing for something like that.

And honestly, it is getting to be really, really tiresome to hear all these "should have been DLC" complaints with EVERY fighting game now. Really: NO, it could not just be a dlc. If you are a regular player, you should have no issues for paying 39.99 to an "expansion", none at all.

And also: if the two new characters (Jill/Shuma) have cost what? $5 each? Then how much would Capcom have to charge for 12 new characters and new stages? $60+? Good job to price it as a 39.99 retail upgrade then, imho.

Yes, and for those who had no interest in the new characters? $0 instead of $40. Want 3 characters? $15. Still less than $40.

And if they bundle costume packs, they probably would've eventually bundled all DLC characters together and sold them for $40.

Regardless, if the game had the ability to download Jill and Shuma and 6 of the 12 characters in UMvC3 were planned for DLC for MvC3, the character content in the very least *could've* been DLC.

But arguing about whether or not it could've been DLC is not productive any longer. Just relax. What's done is done; if you enjoy the game, play it. If you don't, get rid of it. Simple as that.

Fuck Capcom. Fuck their stupid, incompetent as fuck "let's develop in a vacuum" dev team, and fuck Nitsuma. The only game that I've traded in faster was Web of Shadows. Hell, the only reason I haven't traded Marvel in already is so my friend can use it at the monthlies I help run.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Salty tears of sadness from the Phoenix Wright nerf are so.fucking.delcious. If it means I have to see less of him, it's fine by me.

Oh, and Merry Christmas, everyone. ;)

--

If I were the King of Spain, I'd be pretty hyped that Swagneto stole my threads. Then again, the King of Spain probably doesn't even know what MvC is. :lol

So now the 12 phoenix wright players will play wesker instead. :p

I would have only bought Nova if given the choice, rofl.

35 dollars saved, amirite?

tumblr_lw7jvcxkdP1qjoahco1_100.gif

kingslunk

Finally done with school on Friday finally started playing again yesterday. Hit 7th lord this morning. Was on like a 15 game win streak then I accidentally let the guy get a happy birthday and lost.

TheOGB

Banned
Fing Fam Foom and Mandarin as secondaries is too good of a combination. I am steamrolling every single battle within seconds in H&H Offline.

Having just started not long ago I feel the same way with Prof. X and Lin backing up Juggernaut. I even got two Thanos cards in a row from it. :p

Also found a good team in Hulk, Firebrand and Ryu. Might reorder to Firebrand/Ryu/Hulk, but I'm really liking Hulk on point and DHCing into power-up hypers.

Fuck Capcom. Fuck their stupid, incompetent as fuck "let's develop in a vacuum" dev team, and fuck Nitsuma. The only game that I've traded in faster was Web of Shadows. Hell, the only reason I haven't traded Marvel in already is so my friend can use it at the monthlies I help run.

I think it's not fair to blame Niitsuma and his team for all of this shit. =/
I mean... I admit to Capcom fanboyism, and have defended a lot of their BS, and to be frank, I've had it to here with that. I'm literally done with Capcom. HOWEVER...

This is all the fault of the suits. They decided to put all the resources into Ono's shit. MvC3 already was a lost cause once Ono started working on a new project. And the weaker sales of MvC3 actually enforces the suits in their decision to cease giving Niitsuma the resources he'd need to make a godlike game. Because if you look at what he said in several interviews, and what he planned to include, and what he has been putting into this game, it's blatantly obvious that Niitsuma, and Seth, are actually on our side in this hopeless battle. But they are almost as powerless against the Capcom suits as we are, as it appears.

MvC3 has the potential to be the most amazing thing in the entire fighting game genre. But it lacks the resources and development time. Give Niitsuma that, and the game would be godlike.

Tobe

finally they are done fixing my room, probably ill get to play around 7-9pm EST. anyblowups in the current patch besides PW?

I mean... I admit to Capcom fanboyism, and have defended a lot of their BS, and to be frank, I've had it to here with that. I'm literally done with Capcom. HOWEVER...

This is all the fault of the suits. They decided to put all the resources into Ono's shit. MvC3 already was a lost cause once Ono started working on a new project. And the weaker sales of MvC3 actually enforces the suits in their decision to cease giving Niitsuma the resources he'd need to make a godlike game. Because if you look at what he said in several interviews, and what he planned to include, and what he has been putting into this game, it's blatantly obvious that Niitsuma, and Seth, are actually on our side in this hopeless battle. But they are almost as powerless against the Capcom suits as we are, as it appears.

MvC3 has the potential to be the most amazing thing in the entire fighting game genre. But it lacks the resources and development time. Give Niitsuma that, and the game would be godlike.

So it's not Nitsuma's fault that H&H lacks offline co-op?
So it's not Nitsuma's fault that the Vita version has more features than the console version? Features that are commonplace in most console games this gen?

Honestly, I'm just about done with Capcom and their shitty decisions. Seems like all I have left is AE.

I'm good with Princess. Cause that's what I am, hawhaw.

So it's not Nitsuma's fault that the Vita version has more features than the console version? Features that are commonplace in most console games this gen?

Nope. It's deadlines, lack of resources and being told to keep some goodies for the Vita version. That's all done by the suits. There you go.

Neki

I'm really not sure how hard it is to make an offline mode for H&H, or to make an actual human vs CPU mode.

but hey, I'm not a game designer.

I don't know these things.

it's probably really hard.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

The game came out on the 15th of last month. I'm sure it went Gold a couple months before.

Between that time and today, the result is a 3MB patch that does essentially nothing but unlock what was already there. And all the while I'm reading interviews about them working hard on stuff and trying to get it all done in time. Sure, Nitsuma. Sure. Vita Exclusive replay features isn't the hard work people were expecting you to come out with when you're being interviewed by customers of your current release. He's shady and not entirely 'on our side'.

are you fucking serious capcom? lol wow i feel some powerful nerfs coming for wesker.
Just let the hate flow into you and pick Wesker. You know you want to!

Honestly, I'm just about done with Capcom and their shitty decisions. Seems like all I have left is AE.
Damn, you are actually serious?

*whistles*

I'm good with Princess. Cause that's what I am, hawhaw.

Nope. It's deadlines, lack of resources and being told to keep some goodies for the Vita version. That's all done by the suits. There you go.

Could it not just be bad game planning/designing on the team's part? That is what Beef is trying to get at maybe. I think it's a cop out to blame everything on the "suits" all the time. What if the team didn't plan/scope their design documents right, didn't think about the features that needed to be in, and so forth. And then the suits found out later, and where like, wtf, why did you you design it like this. We have a schedule, and there is not enough time to allocate to re-code and retest.

You have to plan the feature set before you get to work. Was offline VS in the original design documentation for H&H, then the suits said take it out? Maybe. Maybe the design team didn't think of it or thought it unnecessary.

I think blame goes all around Capcom as a whole. Not just suits or not just the Marvel team.

I'm sorry, but how can it take a large amount of resources to implement H&H offline or in lobbies when both those features already exist within the games code? I don't get how anybody could defend this bullshit.

Tobe

you can always turn to anime games :p

Well, I can see one issue with HnH due to how PS3 profiles work. I don't see many 2P games on the PS3 that allow two profiles to be logged in. So how would you earn new cards in multiplayer offline with that situation I think may be part of the issue.

And on to the Vita exclusives, that is obviously a suit decision.

Well, I do believe a lot of the cut features are due to time/money restraints. And the ones holding time and money are the suits. I mean, just look how the games have been marketed.

SF4 and SFxT get HD character trailers with animations, and CG movies, hell even troll trailers for SFxT.
MvC3 got character stills and some character footage.

I'm not saying Niitsuma is free from all faults (Wright patch was nothing the suits would have any control over), but I think that in regards to a LOT of things, especially with the whole looking rushed deal, it's deadlines and lack of resources. I don't think you can blame Niitsuma for the whole decision to not release the DLC characters as DLC and rather make a rehash. You cannot blame Niitsuma for leaving out those 8 or so characters he wanted to put into Ultimate additionally to the 12 we got.

Niitsuma obviously tried his best to give us a good game with the limits he had been given. I repeat, my point is not that he is perfect, or that he didn't fuck up, or that he wouldn't fuck up if he actually did get to develop the game he would've liked to. But I think the game would've ended up much better if it was that way. And honestly, Niitsuma is already being treated second rate by Capcom themselves, I don't think he deserves all the flak he gets from the fanbase, either.

I'm sorry, but how can it take a large amount of resources to implement H&H offline or in lobbies when both those features already exist within the games code? I don't get how anybody could defend this bullshit.

WTF? Don't put words into my mouth.

Seriously, how the fuck does H&H get cleared without an offline mode? A simple fucking decision that gets overlooked. For the love of god, it's not hard to open your eyes, look at features other games have, and say "hey that would be a good idea."

you can always turn to anime games :p

vBhha.jpg

Well, I can see one issue with HnH due to how PS3 profiles work. I don't see many 2P games on the PS3 that allow two profiles to be logged in. So how would you earn new cards in multiplayer offline with that situation I think may be part of the issue.

And on to the Vita exclusives, that is obviously a suit decision.
Simple: don't let anyone earn cards in offline multiplayer. Offline multiplayer isn't requested so both people can grind for cards, it's so both people can play against each other WITH the cards.

JeTmAn81

It doesn't matter to me what features are not present in UMVC3, when the features that are present are so good. The game's amazing. Balance is much better than in vanilla, Wesker aside (who is bound to be patched sooner or later), the new characters are great and the system changes as a whole are really good. So H&H is incomplete. That sucks, but it's not why I bought the game. I didn't buy it for replay mode either, or even spectator mode. I bought it for the core game, and that's been improved in just about every way, including better online play (either from the netcode or my newly solid connection). So you won't hear any salty snarking from me. This is my jam, y'all.

McNum

Oh, my. Morrigan with Nightcrawler primary is exactly as dirty as I thought.

You hear her dash, and then she's gone. And since she can extend her dash infinitely, and has weird trajectories on a few, you pretty much need a full screen attack to find her. But with a little practice, the Morrigan player knows exactly where and wh- "DRILL KICK!" Oh there she is. Add a card that give Hyper Meter, and something to make her flying or Soul Fist spam better and you have a great anchor in her, I'd think.

You do realize without grinding that you won't have all the cards right?

So the point of HnH offline mode would be void.

Won't be able to build the decks you want to. Anyway tourneys could set up a LAN for HnH online if they really want to do a tourney.

Dahbomb

Been grinding offline H&H for quite a while.

One of the best decisions that Capcom has made with this mode is to not make this the standard like they did for SFxTekken. Holy fucking crap if the CPU can make me salty with RANDOM ass card and character combinations... I expect some godly broken shit online and by other people.

Just like I stated before, the cards I called out are as broken as I thought they would be. FFF and Mandarin are instant god tier cards.

The way the cards are unlocked and the whole bingo shit reminds me of LP2. An unnecessary exercise in frustration put into the game to make sure you grind it out. Still fun though.

Vita version also makes me salty. I have hope for "Pringles" 3rd edition of Marvel with full cinematic, replay mode/hit box viewer, offline H&H mode and more characters + rebalance. I just hope Capcom doesn't shit on the fanbase again while trying to release the Wii U version.

What's the changelog on the balance? Haven't observed any Wesker nerfs on this patch.

You do realize without grinding that you won't have all the cards right?

So the point of HnH offline mode would be void.

Won't be able to build the decks you want to. Anyway tourneys could set up a LAN for HnH online if they really want to do a tourney.

I think he means a proper offline VS mode. You would still unlock and grind by yourself in the other modes, but VS mode is just for 2 players to use all the cards that you have locally unlocked already (without adding a separate unlock mechanic/mechanism for more cards to be implemented for a VS mode).

Lothars

I think the most frustrating thing is that They released Heroes and Heralds which is really cool and has potential but than not including an offline versus for it as well as not including a replay mode that is going to be in a handheld version.

I love Marvel vs Capcom 3 both versions and think they are one of the best fighting games released but they have things that are missing that shouldn't be because if they had them it would make the game that much better.

Well, I do believe a lot of the cut features are due to time/money restraints. And the ones holding time and money are the suits. I mean, just look how the games have been marketed.

SF4 and SFxT get HD character trailers with animations, and CG movies, hell even troll trailers for SFxT.
MvC3 got character stills and some character footage.

I'm not saying Niitsuma is free from all faults (Wright patch was nothing the suits would have any control over), but I think that in regards to a LOT of things, especially with the whole looking rushed deal, it's deadlines and lack of resources. I don't think you can blame Niitsuma for the whole decision to not release the DLC characters as DLC and rather make a rehash. You cannot blame Niitsuma for leaving out those 8 or so characters he wanted to put into Ultimate additionally to the 12 we got.

Niitsuma obviously tried his best to give us a good game with the limits he had been given. I repeat, my point is not that he is perfect, or that he didn't fuck up, or that he wouldn't fuck up if he actually did get to develop the game he would've liked to. But I think the game would've ended up much better if it was that way. And honestly, Niitsuma is already being treated second rate by Capcom themselves, I don't think he deserves all the flak he gets from the fanbase, either.
Niitsuma and his team are still responsible for balancing the game and they could have done a better job instead of wasting time on Wesker's glasses or Doom's footdivekick. They are not to blame for the rushing and stuff, but they could have done even better on balancing had they stopped watching Max' assist me videos.

Both the team and fans are in a shitty position on this one though. I'll agree with you on that one.
lol i'm the last person on earth that will pick wesker. you can throw virgil and dante with wesker as well.
Capcom won't be happy until it's team treancoat vs team trenchoat on training stage with three stocks.
Ugh... I'm tired, injured, and I'm pissed off because my entire fucking day was shit. I'm trying to be a bit reasonable and all I'm getting is flak.

I'm done with this. Adios, MarvelGAF. I am not sure I will return.
oh my

And here is the issue I was trying to address: PS3 usually does not allow for a second profile to be logged in so if offline was implemented, the second player would either have to share cards with player 1 which could lead to problems or just have to use default cards.

IF they implemented the cards, then tourney organizers/players would have to grind out and leave the system running the entire day and beforehand. Setting up an offline fair HnH mode is much more difficult than it seems due to the way PS3 profiles work.

mr. puppy

Banned
lol god you all are spoiled. i had mvc2 on dreamcast where there were like 5 viable characters, no modes, 1 fucking song repeated over and over for the character select screen, and no balance changes. this game is god tier right now.

Niitsuma and his team are still responsible for balancing the game and they could have done a better job instead of wasting time on Wesker's glasses or Doom's footdivekick. They are not to blame for the rushing and stuff, but they could have done even better on balancing had they stopped watching Max' assist me videos.

Both the team and fans are in a shitty position on this one though. I'll agree with you on that one.

Never did I claim the balance changes weren't Niitsuma's fuckup, I was talking entirely about the modes/vita exclusives/cut characters and DLC/etc.

We don't even have barely any idea what's happening over at Capcom offices. I'm certain that Niitsuma is at least mostly with the fans regarding the game, and you'd have to be blind to not be able to see that Ono is getting every single cent while Niitsuma has been left with the bare minimum of finances; the time constraints are also partly Marvel's fault with their retarded licensing issues.

Anyway. Fuck Capcom. They can kiss my ass. I love the games they make, but for the love of god, if they even get ME to start hating them, there's something seriously wrong. And I'm done with MarvelGAF, too.

lol god you all are spoiled. i had mvc2 on dreamcast where there were like 5 viable characters, no modes, 1 fucking song repeated over and over for the character select screen, and no balance changes. this game is god tier right now.

Yeah, so did I. But things are different now, and precedents have been set. Not meeting basic expectations should be looked at with scorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom