• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

lol not rly

the problem is getting all the right evidence and hitting the objection without getting your face ripped off

Exactly. Wright is so impractical to use atm, as far as I can see. West at least is useful while he's leveling up. Wright's a complete pussy. Which makes sense, but still.

McNum

And now in "Things I probably shouldn't be proud of, but is still kind of neat": I learned my very first UMvC3 BnB combo today. Yay. And by "learned" I mean, can pull it off over half the time. Need to refine that, but hey, first BnB!

Which one? A Captain America one that's basically made to be "Newbie's first BnB", but it's okay. LMHS, jMMS, Shield Slash L (OTG), Charging Star (L, M, or H depends on screen position), Hyper Charging Star.

I'm fairly sure I can extend that somehow, probably with an air Shield Slash before the S, but I think I'll practice this one until I can do it 95%, then adlib a bit on it, or try variations. Need to see if I can start it off a cr.L or extend the startup combo with a few crouching moves, but... that's for later. For now, I'm happy to see improvement.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
And now in "Things I probably shouldn't be proud of, but is still kind of neat": I learned my very first UMvC3 BnB combo today. Yay. And by "learned" I mean, can pull it off over half the time. Need to refine that, but hey, first BnB!

Which one? A Captain America one that's basically made to be "Newbie's first BnB", but it's okay. LMHS, jMMS, Shield Slash L (OTG), Charging Star (L, M, or H depends on screen position), Hyper Charging Star.

I'm fairly sure I can extend that somehow, probably with an air Shield Slash before the S, but I think I'll practice this one until I can do it 95%, then adlib a bit on it, or try variations. Need to see if I can start it off a cr.L or extend the startup combo with a few crouching moves, but... that's for later. For now, I'm happy to see improvement.

The good thing about BnBs in this game is for most characters they're comprised of modular sets of commands that are interchangeable.

So, your execution memory for that Cap combo will be relevant to sections of (or complete) combos with tons of other characters.

Kimosabae

Banned
No, it's this kind of Capcom troll that's pure hyperbole. The reason why people are upset is BECAUSE the game is this >--< close to greatness (unless you're DR2K) and they did a hell of a lot of things right with it.

The problem with Capcom isn't that they're incompetent, but they're inconsistent. They tend to stop just short of adding every feature needed or polishing every rough edge, and don't seem aware that with just a tiny bit more effort they would have been golden.

So people get frustrated that they must keep complaining about that one little thing that is keeping the game from reaching its full potential.

You know what they say about a foolish consistency. That's almost the definition of incompetence.

Capcom JP just isn't thorough enough when it comes to features. Capcom is the worst Japanese company that makes games people want to play and it's all because of their properties.

I almost didn't DL this at all when I heard about the lack of Offline, but I remembered the balance changes.

Too bad Wesker has an easy mode gun loop now that does retarded damage.

High level players must have had some sort of gentlemen's agreement not to use it.
yup. same reason why barely anyone uses zero and viper.

but for real, you can't really have phoenix wright on you're team without it being a "phoenix wright team" in a similar way that you can't have phoenix on your team without it being a "phoenix team". i just don't think a lot of top players care about him that much to dedicate a whole team to him.

justin wong is probably one of the biggest gentlemen in fgs. he refused to use phoenix in vanilla, and now refuses to use wesker in ultimate. his loyatly to iron fist works out pretty well because you don't have to dedicate a whole team to making him effective.

McNum

The good thing about BnBs in this game is for most characters they're comprised of modular sets of commands that are interchangeable.

So, your execution memory for that Cap combo will be relevant to sections of (or complete) combos with tons of other characters.
Yeah, I bet that quick qcf, qcb I need to do on the ground will be real useful when I start working on unfly Soul Fists with Morrigan. That's all about reversing that input, isn't it? Jump, qcf L, qcb S, qcf L, and so on.

So right now, I'm using Cap, ??, Morrigan. Because that BnB is not meter building, but Morrigan is. Currently the middle guy is Ryu, because, well, everyone can play Ryu on a basic level, me included, but I basically use him for Shinkuu Hadoken duty. Thing is, I'm not sure what Cap wants for an assist other than free meter, he seems fairly self-sufficient.

bs000

What do you get for completing more than one line at the same time on the hit list? I just completed two at once but the only thing different is the announcer says "sweet". Do you have to complete more than two at once?

MrDaravon

If you're getting on UMvC3 I'm down for at least a bit. I just played online for a bit for the second time ever....I am terrible at this game :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Whilst I agree the assist was the only thing Phoenix had going for him it was also way more broken than anything any other character in the game can do. I'm not surprised it was nerfed ahead of characters who are seen as too powerful in the first month.

Really? Firebrand can do that snapback combo and outright kill entire team configurations with one hit.

Phoenix's assist had to be worked for by obtaining RANDOM evidence, then landing a slow as hell objection attack. Only then did you have an extremely good assist, that was still vulnerable from the back. If someone was playing it brainlessly, you could easily jump over the assist and punish it. Is this well known? Apparently not, but it's the exact type of stuff people playing the game would have figured out and fought against as strategies progressed.

The thing that gets me is that not only was his great assist hyped up by Seth, but consider the long time the patch certification takes. They knew they were getting rid of it for awhile. To make PW even viable, you NEED a team around him. So the entire first month the game has been out, people who wanted to play him have been focusing solely on an entire team synergy around it, and they were planning on screwing it up without telling anyone. Capcom is seriously completely inept.

Wright can do some serious chip in Turnabout + XF3.

His zoning sucks without x-factor, but yeah.

bs000

I just got six Hulkbuster cards in a row. (&#9583;°&#9633;°&#65289;&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531;

All you get is titles for completing more than one row at a time.

Oh, okay :(. Are they awesome at least? I don't know if I can ever give up my Stream Monster title.

Who's up for lobby?

PSN lobby, woohoo!
GOT ALL THE PIECES TO THE PUZZLE MANG!
odVqIl.jpg

yes, I have gotten my ps3 replaced.

INVITE ME TO THE REGULAR/SCRUB CHAT!

Dahbomb

The regenerating CPU battles are fucking absurd.

Good I LOVE the BS! Again can't stress it enough that Capcom didn't make H&H into a main feature of the game like they did with SFxTekken. I can actually play H&H with this in mind and not get salty.

What is your tier list, Dahbomb?
Game is still too early for a tier list and more technology is still being found and match ups explored particularly in the new characters. A set criteria isn't there for what is considered S and what is considered A. I have a general range and preliminary tier list in mind but it's not what I would consider solid hence I haven't bothered posting it.

Zero is the best in the game, Phoenix Wright is the worst... I am about 90% sure of this at this stage. Characters in the S class are so top they deserve a couple of nerfs (Zero/Viper rightfully deserve a reduction in their max scaling damage on their special moves). Characters in A tiers are mostly characters that are extremely good with little weaknesses and don't deserve anything done to them at this point and pretty much all of them are tournament staples or have potential to be. B classes is solid competitive tier but these characters need a team built around them and you can't really throw them in any team (Iron Fist tier essentially). Characters in B tiers are potential A tier with just a few modifications C tier is Low tier, playable but you will be at a clear disadvantage and they are still candidates for legit buffs. The tier lists in the game are way closer than most people think and way closer than from Vanilla. Someone from S tier can easily get blown up by someone in B tier... but S vs C is still a major difference in quality of tools and options.

I will gladly talk about particular characters if brought into discussion just for learning purposes but talking about tiers is difficult and one that I want to refrain from until right before EVO. I will talk about how I feel Iron Fist is a "B" tier character... you need a team built around him but his ability to get in and stay in is much better than what people give him credit for. Add on top his damage output, fast/powerful ground control, decent mix up tools, very good assist and fundamentally strong set of normals makes him worthwhile to make a team around and you can wreck with him with the right mind set. Particular match ups blow him up like vs Zero, Viper, Ghost Rider and a few others but that's why you need a character at 2nd spot who can handle them for completion sakes. He has weaknesses that warrant that he be in B tier which include that he has no air options, his grab game is a bit iffy, his lows leave more to be desired for and his limited versatility in tools enforces you to play him on point.

Just saw the Desk video. Wolverine Swiss Cheese infinite, Vergil Blistering Sword float bug, Morrigan + wall cling game crash, Ammy counter glitch and some other bugs have been fixed. Good stuff.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Thor is by and far one of the worst characters in the game. All Thor users should feel ashamed for using him. That goes double for Iron Man users.

Some people wouldn't know the worst character in the game if they tripped and fell on their face.

If I lurk in this thread I may just compile posts for a huge blow up series every few weeks.
Game is still too early for a tier list and more technology is still being found and match ups explored particularly in the new characters. A set criteria isn't there for what is considered S and what is considered A. I have a general range and preliminary tier list in mind but it's not what I would consider solid hence I haven't bothered posting it.
I'd say the criteria should be pretty easy to identify or define seeing as these types of characters have always existed. It is not like we are talking about Smash or some alien fighter.

McNum

Could always try some sort of assist that can pin them down so you can mix them up via cartwheels.
Lockdown assist? Hmm, I can see a few good ideas for that. Top of my list for that would be... Storm with Whirlwind, Chris with Machinegun, Doom with Missiles, Dormammu with Black Hole, Dr. Strange with any of his assists, or a mad idea of Spencer with Wire Grapple.

That's a lot of characters to try out for second spot. Storm and Chris are probably my favorite ideas, with Spencer as the wildcard. I have to remember that this character also has to be pretty rounded, as if (when) Cap falls, they'll only have free meter for an assist. This does leave Morrigan as anchor, but if she's been spamming meter all match, she should sit on 2-3 levels of Hyper at least. And XF3 Morrigan with Hyper? Yeah, not so harmless after all. I can't do Doom, I tried. Good Doom play is above my level still. Of course, I'm sure I missed something good, but isn't that the fun of UMvC3? There's always something good to miss.

Really? Firebrand can do that snapback combo and outright kill entire team configurations with one hit.

It doesn't make Phoenix suddenly not broken. I'm pretty sure the reason Firebrand's trap hasn't been removed is because Nitsuma's team aren't aware of it. If people start running Ghost Rider/She-Hulk/Haggar and Fireband's ability to destroy entire teams that don't have double jumps, air dash, flight, or ariel hypers comes to light on a grand scale it will be fixed.

Phoenix's assist had to be worked for by obtaining RANDOM evidence, then landing a slow as hell objection attack. Only then did you have an extremely good assist, that was still vulnerable from the back. If someone was playing it brainlessly, you could easily jump over the assist and punish it. Is this well known? Apparently not, but it's the exact type of stuff people playing the game would have figured out and fought against as strategies progressed.

I feel you're underselling how difficult it would be to jump over an assist (and point so you could still target Phoenix) whilst the point character doesn't do a thing to prevent you from doing so.

The only thing that confuses me about the situation is why the assist was like that in the first place. With what happened to Tron and Haggar it's obvious invincible assists weren't meant to be in the game at all. Thus I totally agree about Seth harking on about it, the whole thing sucks for Wright players.

kunonabi

alright I'm dropping Wright. Too much work for a character for a character that Capcom is probably going to continue to neuter for no real reason. I'll stick with Strange for my overly complicated character.

Been in practice mode the last couple of days:

Really like my Chris/Trish/Strange team

switched my trish assist from peekaboo to hopscotch. peekaboo seemed really crappy for combos and hopscotch did just as well for anti air purposes and doesn't get destroyed by projectiles. Trish is pretty fun to play as well. I'm a long way from being comfortable with strange though.

I have high hopes for my Tron/West/Morrigan team although Tron's combos are much harder now due to how badly they nerfed her drill. I'm having a ton of trouble with her midscreen stuff since I can no longer use the drill to carry them to the corner without hitstun scaling screwing me over.

played a couple of matches with a friend and ghost rider's chain assist ripped my chris/trish/strange team apart.

so I take it there is no local vs in H&H?

Dahbomb

Thor is by and far one of the worst characters in the game. All Thor users should feel ashamed for using him. That goes double for Iron Man users.
This is complete horse shit. Thor is firmly in the B tier camp. And yes I used to play him in vanilla and have played him quite a bit in Ultimate too. He's a legit threat that people have to deal with and his health is high enough that it can make the difference. Random Mighty Strike charged into Happy Birthday Mighty Tornado XF Mighty Tornado has ended so many matches so quickly for me. Next thing you are going to tell me the same thing about Captain America.

Not going to touch the second part of the post.

If people start running Ghost Rider/She-Hulk/Haggar and Firebrand's ability to destroy entire teams that don't have double jumps, air dash, flight, or ariel hypers comes to light on a grand scale it will be fixed.
The Firebrand set up showcased in that video cannot be escaped via double jumps or air dash. The Skrull assist locks them down before they are able to do any action. As of now it's inescapable and a legit broken tech in the game despite how difficult it is to execute it.

I'd say the criteria should be pretty easy to identify or define seeing as these types of characters have always existed. It is not like we are talking about Smash or some alien fighter.
To be honest, tier lists in MVC3 have always been sort of vague due to the nature of the game (3 on 3 + assists). Everyone here would rate Doom a tier below Viper... yet Doom is going to always be a more tournament staple character due to his assist selection and general supportive role on a team. If someone told me they think Doom is S tier.. I can't question it based on that criteria but it's highly debatable to put Doom in the same class as Viper and Zero as far as point capabilities are concerned.

Another thing to consider is the whole execution debate. I think Wesker is outclassed by some of the S tiers... but due to his ease of play and his staple OTG assist combined with his absurd X factor LVL3 game anyone would be hard pressed not to put him in the S tier too. Then there is that Firebrand Touch of Defeat set up which requires tight execution and particular team set up.. but is 100% broken and that alone qualifies him for S tier. But due to a very particular set up and execution requirement, you will not see this being used as often as it should be and hence it gets hard to rate something like this. In MVC2, Iron Man was a character who basically could do the same thing as Firebrand only solo.. yet he was ranked like #6 or #7 in the tier list and I can see the same thing happening for Firebrand.

This is just talking about the upper top 7 or so characters which have already been debated numerous times already. It's pretty much known that the first 20 characters are tournament staples at this point... what about 20-30? You will be surprised at the characters who are in this range yet still perform rather well in tournaments and have solid tools (Akuma and Ryu are in this category by the way). Certainly we have seen that even characters in this range are tournament staples. There are no clear cut lines and you can't just group characters into top 10 because even within that top 10 there is range of quality. The range in quality of characters blurs even more when you go down to the point where it becomes difficult labeling characters either A or B. Certain characters in B with choice assists become deadlier than some of the A tier characters, it's hard to account for this.

Then there is the case of counter picks. Wolverine is A tier in the game.... Ghost Rider is B tier. Ghost Rider beats Wolverine for free, just one of his tools shuts down 90% of Wolverine's options. Then we get to the level of counter pick assists/team mates. Trish vs Iron Fist is heavily in favor of Trish... until IF has access to Vajra assist in which case a ton of options of Trish are mitigated to the point where it's almost an equal match.

The final thing that makes tier lists hard to rate is damage output. Damage is so high in this game that most of the B tiers have better damage output than even some in S tiers. But this game is about getting that first hit in and then putting the opponent in shitty situations where it's much easier for them to get hit again. That's why the S tiers are there... not only are they proficient at getting the first hit in but they are also proficient at not getting hit into a combo. It's the sole reason why Viper is so high, even while blocking she is a threat. However, no body is perfect in this game and even if this was a 10 year old game people would still get hit by stuff and a S tier character bleeds as hard as any low tier character. Pile on X factor and it gets pretty easy for even a B tier to instantly kill 2 characters on the opposition. How can one discount the ability of even the mid characters to instantly end matches? Damage output is a problem for characters who have BOTH trouble in opening up the opposition and have genuinely low damage... these characters are firmly in the C tier category and thus escape most discussions anyway.

TL:DR = Rating tiers in this game is difficult and there are a ton of factors for this. It's more difficult to rate tiers in this game then it is in other fighters.

shaowebb

I guess you could Berzerker Slash and then Berzerker Barrage to catch him maybe.
This is complete horse shit. Thor is firmly in the B tier camp. And yes I used to play him in vanilla and have played him quite a bit in Ultimate too. He's a legit threat that people have to deal with and his health is high enough that it can make the difference. Random Mighty Strike charged into Happy Birthday Mighty Tornado XF Mighty Tornado has ended so many matches so quickly for me. Next thing you are going to tell me the same thing about Captain America.

Not going to touch the second part of the post.

I should've posted a Royal Flush combo vid for this myself. I guess ABC's are all people care about considering the content of his post, though. I wish Wesker had been patched so that folks would stop taking the easy way out and would have to consider exploring characters enough to discover some tech with them. No one's really sure yet who is worth what in this game because no one is playing anything but Wesker teams.

zlatko

Banned
Played H and H today. It's alright. I did all my playtime with it in offline trying to get some good cards. Must get Fou Lu since he's the best card in the game clearly. :p

I forgot to read, but can we play with friends online or is it only random matchmaking? I was hoping to try UMvC3 Parry Edition with some pals. :p

The only thing that confuses me about the situation is why the assist was like that in the first place. With what happened to Tron and Haggar it's obvious invincible assists weren't meant to be in the game at all. Thus I totally agree about Seth harking on about it, the whole thing sucks for Wright players.

The difference is that Tron and Haggar had it for free (well, Haggar's costed red health), while for Phoenix to get an assist like that he needs to be on point, not get killed while looking for evidence, and THEN landing an Objection (or a crouching A or an assist that let him combo into it, but whatever). It's not even close to being the same thing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It doesn't make Phoenix suddenly not broken. I'm pretty sure the reason Firebrand's trap hasn't been removed is because Nitsuma's team aren't aware of it. If people start running Ghost Rider/She-Hulk/Haggar and Fireband's ability to destroy entire teams that don't have double jumps, air dash, flight, or ariel hypers comes to light on a grand scale it will be fixed.

I feel you're underselling how difficult it would be to jump over an assist (and point so you could still target Phoenix) whilst the point character doesn't do a thing to prevent you from doing so.

I'm not trying to downplay the assist, it was extremely good. But it still did have a weakness, and it is not easy to get. It is really weird how they don't seem to want "assist characters" so they keep making changes to that, but what on earth is this going to do now? PW has a unique mechanic, a lot of time spent to make him work in the context of this game, but now they basically killed the main thing he had going within a month(really, way less considering they must have had the patch done nearly right after the game launched, yet still hyped up his good assist). Nobody is going to use him and the slot it basically wasted, he atleast needs super or hyper armor on it. Even it had a vulnerable startup, I don't care, but now all his assists are trash aside from Missile. In vanilla Haggar and Tron got those from the start, Hsien-Ko needed to burn a meter. Haggar lariat is still damn good from the start, but PW needed to work harder than anyone to get that assist. Now it's literally the exact same, and in that mode he only has limited time to chip people and try to set up an unblockable, but people just run away the whole time. I'm just waiting for them to not let Hsien-Ko use her super to affect her assist anymore, because how dare people set up a good assist!

It just is extremely frustrating when PW was the main drive to go back to marvel for me, and he ends up being a character I need to make an entire team around, spend a month playing, then they throw a wrench at it and the whole thing falls apart. It's a lot more drastic to his gameplan compared to the 300K or so health they shaved off sentinel in vanilla that people flipped over. I luckily haven't even played the game all that much due to finals and skyward sword/skyrim so I didn't have a ton of time under my belt with the team, but bleh.

Played H and H today. It's alright. I did all my playtime with it in offline trying to get some good cards. Must get Fou Lu since he's the best card in the game clearly. :p

I forgot to read, but can we play with friends online or is it only random matchmaking? I was hoping to try UMvC3 Parry Edition with some pals. :p

You can't invite friends because that would require developers of some semblance of competence being behind the wheels, which you aren't going to find here.

Wow, wrong day to be in MarvelGAF :lol Lots of unhappy campers abound (not without reason I guess)

Something to note that's a pretty big boon for Chris players: he can launch or special out of flamethrower now. That's a pretty beefy hitconfirm. Before he could just sweep combo IIRC.

RE: Tiers -- I couldn't lay em out if I tried, but I break it down by which characters I have to respect and which I don't; non-Turnabout PW and meterless (ie no gold armour available so I don't have to deal with the assist) Hsien-Ko is about it. Every character has their "thing" that makes them viable IMO.

Clearly some are better than others, but one aspect I like about this game is that no matter who your characters are if you are able to set up and run your gameplan, you will win. The balance in this game is pretty solid in that regard.

shaowebb

I'm gonna say this out of left field after seeing Killer Sasa pop up just to see what kind of reaction I get. I dream of the day forward +H gets put in as the new input for Spider-man's Spidey Swing.

Xevren

Play with friends?! Absolutely not, randoms only sir.

Anth0ny

Phoenix Wright assist was nowhere near broken. Not even fucking close.

Haggar and Tron in vanilla were way better, and even they weren't broken. There is no justification for this. They just really don't want invincible assists, even if you have to work your ass off to get it.

Phoenix Wright assist was nowhere near broken. Not even fucking close.

Haggar and Tron in vanilla were way better, and even they weren't broken. There is no justification for this. They just really don't want invincible assists, even if you have to work your ass off to get it.

What are the new Haggar and Tron assists in this game?

I'm gonna say this out of left field after seeing Killer Sasa pop up just to see what kind of reaction I get. I dream of the day forward +H gets put in as the new input for Spider-man's Spidey Swing.
what? why? then you'd lose the 3 different strengths.

minibossbattle said:
What are the new Haggar and Tron assists in this game?
you're better off just learning to block. although haggar assist is still very good.

anth0ny said:
because not being able to block, and then getting a full free combo from it is an amazing gameplay mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom