• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 in characters I wish I could play:

Dormammu. Dude is unique, can play both defense and offense, and has such slick combos.

Plus, dat voice acting is awesome. BURN TO CINDER.

Maybe I'll pick him up for fun. Been having a lot of side fun with Cap but I want to play someone evil too -- may as well pick the best evil guy.

Honorable mention to Chris, mine is so bad but I have fun telling people to eat it and/or suck it repeatedly.

Anybody else have someone they wish they could/did play?

shaowebb

Also, I can't find a H&H game online at all :/

THIS. There are literally no results in my region according to the message the game gave me. I've played around trying to find a quick match, custom match, made a match, searched...NOTHING WORKS.

I think something's wrong here...

Yup, you can do cards for training mode. I THINK you can do it for p2/dummy as well.

To find it, it's at the bottom of player/dummy settings or something labeled Ability Cards.

Its a half assed way of playing it offline against someone

yup just tried, it's a hassle picking cards for each side though but it's fun :D

10-0 on the stream until I hit my first lagger, who taunts after winning. Nice.
I'm a lagger too :p from Hawaii. Coconut internet. But you destroyed me.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
THIS. There are literally no results in my region according to the message the game gave me. I've played around trying to find a quick match, custom match, made a match, searched...NOTHING WORKS.

I think something's wrong here...
I haven't had a worse time than usual as far as matchmaking goes. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the pool of players to pick from is half of what it normally is because you can only be matched with someone on the other team.

JeTmAn81

yup just tried, it's a hassle picking cards for each side though but it's fun :D

I'm a lagger too :p from Hawaii. Coconut internet. But you destroyed me.

Actually, our connection seemed fine to me. Now that my internet isn't a problem it doesn't seem to take much time going from Washington to Hawaii. Lol @ coconut internet though.

Dahbomb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9lHNWU4NdU

...Dahbomb and all the other theory fighter Ph.ds are right, Zero is the best character in this game >_>
*YAWNS*

Zero doing 1 million damage solo bores me.

It's not that he can kill you in 1 combo which so many other characters can do... it's that he can get that first hit WAY easier by setting up multiple self cross ups that are ambiguous even to the person performing those cross ups. It's also very difficult to land that hit on Zero due to absurd hit boxes and anything can be made safe with Buster.

Even if he was doing 700K BnB combos with solid execution (sort of like Dante is now) he would still be S tier.

Parry is stupid broken. And no it's not because of that video posted. The whole frame stop shenanigans messes with opponent timings leading into situations where you get an opening or fuck up input on their end.

Nick Fury card is also stupid cheap... it's the ultimate card to put on a deck that specializes in comebacks. Sakuya/Loki + Nick Fury is legit.

H&H is simply the most hilarious mode in any fighting game ever. I swear it's like a collective arms race to find the most godly broken combination of characters and cards possible.

shaowebb

I haven't had a worse time than usual as far as matchmaking goes. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the pool of players to pick from is half of what it normally is because you can only be matched with someone on the other team.

I went Team Heroes because I figured everyone would go Team Heralds for shiny new duds. It is day one though so I won't lose all hope since most are probably grinding it out for cards right now. Still...thats pretty bad I spent nearly 20 minutes trying and got zero matches online today.

Dahbomb

Now onto a more pressing matter: Who in your opinion is the better all around I go everywhere on every team char? Hawkeye or Doom?

GOOOOOO
Doom of course.

Dante is better than both of these characters as far as characters that go on every team. Dante is LITERALLY best friends with every character in the game.

Dante, Doom and Hawkeye IMO are the three most versatile chars in the game. They can go on any team and make it better.
*Wonders how good they would work together*

Giard

So...are the cards you get offline decided by the area you fought in?
Cause I just got 7 Kingpins in a row.

edit: 8 Kingpins!

Sixfortyfive

100% of offline areas completed and 85% of cards collected. Let's take a look at some of the stuff I've got.

Auto-regen whenever you're losing... team supers steal enemy health... health and meter auto-regens when you're down to 1 character... lmao

Dahbomb

TOP 5 "THROW ME IN ANY TEAM" CHARACTERS IN THE GAME

1) Dante
2) Doom
3) Hawkeye
4) Taskmaster
5) Magneto

Ammy and Dr Strange get honorable mention. Iron Man gets "if I was better I would be very versatile" award.

Dahbomb

Shh... we are trying to hype down Wesker now.

Wesker doesn't really work on teams without a good assist that controls space. Like if you play Iron Fist/Morrigan/Wesker... that's a garbage team. On the other hand... if I replace Wesker with let's say Dante or Doom... team becomes much more solid.

Parrying during hit stun is literally like top 5 most broken things in H&H right now. I can't believe Capcom actually let this rock.

Shh... we are trying to hype down Wesker now.

Wesker doesn't really work on teams without a good assist that controls space. Like if you play Iron Fist/Morrigan/Wesker... that's a garbage team. On the other hand... if I replace Wesker with let's say Dante or Doom... team becomes much more solid.

It also depends on your level of execution. Wesker assist is one of the easiest combo extenders in the game, so if you have trouble doing extended combos with your point character, you can just throw Wesker in the back and get yourself big combos with your point character for free.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I went Team Heroes because I figured everyone would go Team Heralds for shiny new duds. It is day one though so I won't lose all hope since most are probably grinding it out for cards right now. Still...thats pretty bad I spent nearly 20 minutes trying and got zero matches online today.
I went Heralds to try and unlock Herald colours for Marvel characters...

..and still no matches. *sigh* I'll try again later. About 10 hours ago only 500 people seemed to have even participated in the mode, I sincerely hope everyone is still grinding it out offline and it isn't dead.

I've already 100%'d everything on the Heralds side, and got 70% of the ability cards.

Also.. had a lol moment:

iTgCovfWKYoBp.JPG

At least it got me the title for 3 hit lists at once. Literally the only characters left were ones that would complete the list, haha.

The only problem with FFF/<someone who starts you with +2 meter>/Primary combo is that because you can't use hypers you get fucked trying to finish off opponents with health regen at low vitality thresholds.

I think I've settled on a team of Iron Fist/Spencer/Strider. I think its good in theory, but I'm just going off bits and pieces I can steal from better theory fighter pros like Deviljin and Dahbomb

Dahbomb

I haven't played that team to comment on it... just started learning IF and still terrible with Strider. If you had to hold a gun to my head and ask "is this team good or not?" I will say yes it's a good team. But I can't know for sure until I put it to the test in live matches. Some issues on team don't become apparent until you are in a high pressure situation. That team I would imagine has trouble getting in and staying in due to no lockdown/space control assist.

Finally unlocked the BLODIA card. YES! I like how Blodia card is 10x better than the Jin Saotome card lol.

The only problem with FFF/<someone who starts you with +2 meter>/Primary combo is that because you can't use hypers you get fucked trying to finish off opponents with health regen at low vitality thresholds.
There are tons of counter picks within H&H even against the most powerful cards. Meter stealing card nullify many of the powerful cards like FFF because you need meter on deck to get their effects and Fou-Lo counter picks Mandarin because you can activate XF multiple times with Fou-Lo so it doesn't matter if the first is wasted. The ones that have regenerating health are counter picked by cards that buff HCs. Of course Mystique/Serpent are like god tier counter pick card.

I want the Thanos card so bad it hurts... :( Anyone got Servbot/Luke Cage yet? How does auto block work?

IF does not need both Spencer or Strider. One, to give him a good AA option. The other either needs to go to a solid projectile assist or an assist that has projectile nullifying properties.

There IF just became godlike with practice.

Sixfortyfive

omfg this mode is infuriating and hilarious.

I just lost to an AI with a parry card. Lulz. He Daigo'd Maggy. Lmao. This is fun.
The best is when you get to the last battle on the last stage with max AI, parry, super armor, and some kind of auto-regen bullshit. Fuckers just won't die.

THE BEST.

To be honest, tier lists in MVC3 have always been sort of vague due to the nature of the game (3 on 3 + assists). Everyone here would rate Doom a tier below Viper... yet Doom is going to always be a more tournament staple character due to his assist selection and general supportive role on a team. If someone told me they think Doom is S tier.. I can't question it based on that criteria but it's highly debatable to put Doom in the same class as Viper and Zero as far as point capabilities are concerned.

Another thing to consider is the whole execution debate. I think Wesker is outclassed by some of the S tiers... but due to his ease of play and his staple OTG assist combined with his absurd X factor LVL3 game anyone would be hard pressed not to put him in the S tier too. Then there is that Firebrand Touch of Defeat set up which requires tight execution and particular team set up.. but is 100% broken and that alone qualifies him for S tier. But due to a very particular set up and execution requirement, you will not see this being used as often as it should be and hence it gets hard to rate something like this. In MVC2, Iron Man was a character who basically could do the same thing as Firebrand only solo.. yet he was ranked like #6 or #7 in the tier list and I can see the same thing happening for Firebrand.

This is just talking about the upper top 7 or so characters which have already been debated numerous times already. It's pretty much known that the first 20 characters are tournament staples at this point... what about 20-30? You will be surprised at the characters who are in this range yet still perform rather well in tournaments and have solid tools (Akuma and Ryu are in this category by the way). Certainly we have seen that even characters in this range are tournament staples. There are no clear cut lines and you can't just group characters into top 10 because even within that top 10 there is range of quality. The range in quality of characters blurs even more when you go down to the point where it becomes difficult labeling characters either A or B. Certain characters in B with choice assists become deadlier than some of the A tier characters, it's hard to account for this.

Then there is the case of counter picks. Wolverine is A tier in the game.... Ghost Rider is B tier. Ghost Rider beats Wolverine for free, just one of his tools shuts down 90% of Wolverine's options. Then we get to the level of counter pick assists/team mates. Trish vs Iron Fist is heavily in favor of Trish... until IF has access to Vajra assist in which case a ton of options of Trish are mitigated to the point where it's almost an equal match.

The final thing that makes tier lists hard to rate is damage output. Damage is so high in this game that most of the B tiers have better damage output than even some in S tiers. But this game is about getting that first hit in and then putting the opponent in shitty situations where it's much easier for them to get hit again. That's why the S tiers are there... not only are they proficient at getting the first hit in but they are also proficient at not getting hit into a combo. It's the sole reason why Viper is so high, even while blocking she is a threat. However, no body is perfect in this game and even if this was a 10 year old game people would still get hit by stuff and a S tier character bleeds as hard as any low tier character. Pile on X factor and it gets pretty easy for even a B tier to instantly kill 2 characters on the opposition. How can one discount the ability of even the mid characters to instantly end matches? Damage output is a problem for characters who have BOTH trouble in opening up the opposition and have genuinely low damage... these characters are firmly in the C tier category and thus escape most discussions anyway.

TL:DR = Rating tiers in this game is difficult and there are a ton of factors for this. It's more difficult to rate tiers in this game then it is in other fighters.
The simplest(and most difficult ironically) way to approach this is a full numerical chart featuring matchup numbers followed by an in depth analysis of assist properties and who they benefit most. This would be a mind bending task for SEVERAL people working at it and the result is subject to change.

I already made a numbered tier list that judges each character's performance in several aspects within the confines of MvC3's mechanics, but what you are talking about harkens back to straight matchup numbers. Most Capcom games these days use the letter system and the only one that I've seen a number chart for is Vampire Savior.

I'm guessing you will be doing something very different from regular tier lists once EVO 2012 draws near eh?

Dahbomb

It's going to be the same way I rated characters in vanilla. Essentially weighing certain attributes of a character to define their ranking. I will attempt to put characters from order 1-50 the best I can and as soon as there is a gap between 2 characters that's where I cut the tier off at. Essentially the main criteria for whether a character is good or not is how much of a threat a character is on a team whether the character is adding an assist or have other assists complimenting it. Point value will always be favored over assist value... but two characters with similar point value but different assist values I will edge out the character with a better assist.

100% agreed. I have never gotten salty fighting CPU opponents before in Marvel... even I am getting salty but still having fun. This mode is clearly made for Marvel fans as most other people would pull out their hair in frustration. The crack level from this mode is OFF THE CHARTS.

For those who care, someone in SRK has found out that Chris has gotten a buff in the patch. His Flamethrower can now be cancelled into his S and into his specials.

JeTmAn81

I haven't played that team to comment on it... just started learning IF and still terrible with Strider. If you had to hold a gun to my head and ask "is this team good or not?" I will say yes it's a good team. But I can't know for sure until I put it to the test in live matches. Some issues on team don't become apparent until you are in a high pressure situation. That team I would imagine has trouble getting in and staying in due to no lockdown/space control assist.

Finally unlocked the BLODIA card. YES! I like how Blodia card is 10x better than the Jin Saotome card lol.

There are tons of counter picks within H&H even against the most powerful cards. Meter stealing card nullify many of the powerful cards like FFF because you need meter on deck to get their effects and Fou-Lo counter picks Mandarin because you can activate XF multiple times with Fou-Lo so it doesn't matter if the first is wasted. The ones that have regenerating health are counter picked by cards that buff HCs. Of course Mystique/Serpent are like god tier counter pick card.

I want the Thanos card so bad it hurts... :( Anyone got Servbot/Luke Cage yet? How does auto block work?

Is that the one that gives you super armor during a dash/faster dash? I am running that one, Mephisto (extra meter, meter regen) and the double X-factor one with my Dante/Taskmaster/Wesker team. It's pretty awesome. I can pretty much end every combo with a LVL3.

smurfx

get some go again
damn offline H&H is freaking boring. like the cpu is sooooooo easy. -_- i'm happy for LLND that chris got buffed.

EARTH KO

M76eH.jpg

...and nothing happens. Oh well, I'm having a lot of fun with this. I played around 350 matches of ultimate marvel 3 today(close to 14 hours of fighting games). Still no Fin Fang Foom or all attacks do chip cards :-(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EARTH KO

M76eH.jpg

...and nothing happens. Oh well, I'm having a lot of fun with this. I played around 350 matches of ultimate marvel 3 today(close to 14 hours of fighting games). Still no Fin Fang Foom or all attacks do chip cards :-(
No bonus stages?

Soft.

Kinda sad you don't get any awesome congratulatory image or anything for beating everything. Also, you don't have to do heroes and heralds to unlock all the titles. I got em all from just beating heralds. Will grind out heroes tomorrow.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

The best is when you get to the last battle on the last stage with max AI, parry, super armor, and some kind of auto-regen bullshit. Fuckers just won't die.

THE BEST.

I've had damn near three timeouts back to back, because of that exact cause.

Good thing is, when the AI parries in the air or whatever, the pause in front of you when they land.

zlatko

Banned
Oh in case it wasn't known already, if you are about to lose a fight in H and H, just pause and go back to stage select. It doesn't harm you in anyway or make you lose a bonus stage, so you can never lose out on farming bonus stage cards.

IF does not need both Spencer or Strider. One, to give him a good AA option. The other either needs to go to a solid projectile assist or an assist that has projectile nullifying properties.

There IF just became godlike with practice.

I was thinking about that, that I'm just doubling-down on AA assists to make up for IF's shitty air options. Tired of seeing Zero jump at Iron Fist and the only thing he can do is J.S. I'm determined to make IF/Spencer work, so maybe I'll just throw Dante in Strider's place and have his projectile assist take up space. I refuse to use Doom like my little brother, and I so bad with Magneto(SO BAD you guys) that I can't possibly fathom working him into the group.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh in case it wasn't known already, if you are about to lose a fight in H and H, just pause and go back to stage select. It doesn't harm you in anyway or make you lose a bonus stage, so you can never lose out on farming bonus stage cards.
You can farm bonus stage cards? Wat? Do you just keep doing the Bonus Stage levels at 100%?

For some reason it never occured to me until today to command grab to beat x-factor guard cancels. It is 1-frame, after all.

You can farm bonus stage cards? Wat? Do you just keep doing the Bonus Stage levels at 100%?

You can keep grinding out the hit list on cleared stages.

edit: oh, I got a new title for beating H&H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom