• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Someone said this at SRK which I feel is very accurate:

If you want to rape day 1 in UMVC3... play Wesker.

If you want to rape month 1 in UMVC3... play Zero.

If you want to rape everything year 1 in UMVC3... play Viper.

Back to H&H: MMX card is REALLY good but the more I play with it the more I think it might be "broken" (as in there is a glitch associated with which changes properties on moves). You can substitute the double jump for another air dash so you can essentially opt to have triple dashes with characters who already have an air dash.

Getting Dark Phoenix in H&H is stupid easy. You can start off the match with 4 bars with a card that gives you LVL3 Meter on start of match. That's essentially +3 bars starts of match.

I think I have a better understanding of the levels and the way the cards stack as well. I also think there is a limit to stacking.

LOL @ this patch making people quit.

YES YOU CAN MAKE OFFLINE TRAINING MODE INTO A GHETTO VERSUS MODE
Wait, how? I can't figure out how to include cards in training mode, or whatever.

Goddamn Nick Fury is retarded good on high health characters.(when one character is left, they heal back to like 25% every time they're below 5%)

Which basically means you have to have a giant-ass single hit attack to kill the anchor. I did like 6 glasses-off wesker combos on haggar and TWO LEVEL 3s, and he WOULD NOT GO DOWN. Ok, the second level 3 killed him.

btw, this is what I like to call bad luck:

87p2I.jpg
You'll complete the hitlist before you run out of stages, I promise. Agreed on that Nick Fury card. Even with XF3, Firebrand couldn't finish Hulk off no matter how hard I tried. :-(

I've been running a lot of fun combinations, but I like Dark Phoenix Rises...and Rises...and Rises, the most.

How about if you want to talk about winning, you don't refer to it as rape.
+1 to this.

Dahbomb

How many people played Viper as compared to She Hulk and Wolverine in vanilla?

Winning majors doesn't automatically make a character top tier or godly... I didn't even bring it up. But anyone who has seen Viper in action knows what this character is capable of.

Viper isn't going to start winning majors at a high rate unless she becomes a popular pick. Especially a popular pick among those players who are fundamentally the strongest while having strong execution. That's where MarlinPie lacks to consistently succeed with Viper... if he makes impeccable reads and has godly defense he should be winning WAY more often.

Also I was paraphrasing the comment/saying. I don't necessarily agree with it either. I think you can rape/own/win with Zero/Wesker at year 1 too.

Speaking of Marlin this made me laugh:

to those responsible for nerfs/buffs @ capcom. seek another career.. immediately.

shaowebb

Lazy patch to Wesker abuse= make OTG gun a double DP motion and his teleport Guile's SFIV Ultra input.

That ought to chase away some folks lol

Dartastic

Winning majors doesn't automatically make a character top tier or godly... I didn't even bring it up. But anyone who has seen Viper in action knows what this character is capable of.

Viper isn't going to start winning majors at a high rate unless she becomes a popular pick. Especially a popular pick among those players who are fundamentally the strongest while having strong execution. That's where MarlinPie lacks to consistently succeed with Viper... if he makes impeccable reads and has godly defense he should be winning WAY more often.
Come on man, impeccable reads doesn't make a character broken at all. A lucky A into MEGA COMBO makes a character broken. Dark Phoenix had that, and now Wesker does as well. Of course options and your ability to execute makes a character viable/broken. But the execution barrier is a huge thing to consider, as well as if a simple button press to an extremely simple combo can lead to death.

P.S. <3 Brooklyn. That's all.

Tobe

Someone said this at SRK which I feel is very accurate:

If you want to rape day 1 in UMVC3... play Wesker.

If you want to rape month 1 in UMVC3... play Zero.

If you want to rape everything year 1 in UMVC3... play Viper.

Back to H&H: MMX card is REALLY good but the more I play with it the more I think it might be "broken" (as in there is a glitch associated with which changes properties on moves). You can substitute the double jump for another air dash so you can essentially opt to have triple dashes with characters who already have an air dash.

Getting Dark Phoenix in H&H is stupid easy. You can start off the match with 4 bars with a card that gives you LVL3 Meter on start of match. That's essentially +3 bars starts of match.

I think I have a better understanding of the levels and the way the cards stack as well. I also think there is a limit to stacking.

this is theory fighter, everything is played to their best, as in no mistake

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Karst: Go into training mode under offline mode, and into dummy/player settings and at the bottom there should be an option to set ability cards. Once you set them, the match restarts with them applied.

Dahbomb

I don't think you know what I am talking about when I talk about making reads with Viper.

Let's say Zero is coming at you at normal jump height with j.H, a button that cannot be contested with most other buttons in the game especially not cr.L. Most characters can't do anything against this but block. Viper can on reaction FA EX Seismo this button and kill Zero. This is NOT theory fighter... Viper players were blowing up invincible Berserker Slash on reaction by sitting on FA and waiting for the hit to connect back in vanilla.

This is just a base application of how Viper operates. How do you approach a character like that who blows through the best buttons in the game with impunity? However that requires the person playing Viper to execute that option and make the read in the first place. MarlinPie is easily able to execute this... what he lacks is the fundamental to predict buttons and use the tool at the appropriate time to blow through options.

FA EX Seismo essentially neutralizes 90%+ of BS rushdown options in UMVC3. The rest of the characters who like to sit back at full screen and zone have to deal with Seismo spam (again, execution requirement needed). The few characters remain who can touch Viper outside these two options are characters like Zero who can throw stuff at the top opposite corner of the screen.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I wonder what happens if you snap back against someone using Multiple Man? Does it just bring in one of the other clones? Do nothing? Or does it actually bring in one of the other characters they had to select before the match?

I wonder what happens if you snap back against someone using Multiple Man? Does it just bring in one of the other clones? Do nothing? Or does it actually bring in one of the other characters they had to select before the match?

It doesn't do anything, it works the same sway as hitting the last character left in a normal team does.

Here's something fun to try: Mephisto (or other meter building cards) + Multiple Man, and then pick Phoenix. You'll be able to get at least 2 Dark Phoenix's a match, and probably 3.

Dahbomb

The more I play the game, the more I realize that FFF is kinda overrated and Fou-Lo is the card that people should be scared of. Fou-Lo has no real restriction to it and can't really be countered picked... even by Mandarin. Being able to X factor cancel 2 to 3 times is HUGE just for the blow ups you can do. A ton of the "top" cards can be countered by having meter stealing cards which are fairly common.

Nick Fury on DP is broken. Ever since H&H came out I think I have used the work broken both in real life and here about 50+ times.

Dahbomb

Yeah I am pretty salty over this change. It does appear to have affected command throw L as well. This was one of Hulk's main tool in being a major threat up close. Press buttons? Get armored moves. Don't press buttons? Get killed off of a command throw with an OTG assist. It seems you can still do it off the command throw H but that's only against air borne opponents.

smurfx

get some go again
Yeah I am pretty salty over this change. It does appear to have affected command throw L as well. This was one of Hulk's main tool in being a major threat up close. Press buttons? Get armored moves. Don't press buttons? Get killed off of a command throw with an OTG assist. It seems you can still do it off the command throw H but that's only against air borne opponents.
if capcom is nerfing characters because of casual online play and scrubs getting destroyed by hulks H then why would they leave wesker the way he is? do they want him to be the kinda character most people pick up and is easy to learn and does a lot of damage? zero is pretty easy to pick up but you don't see him too much online and most of the ones you see are complete ass.

sephi22

How about if you want to talk about winning, you don't refer to it as rape.
I really like this. I'm as vulgar as they come, but rape is really, really awful. I know some people that have actually been raped. It's one of the few terms that I genuinely hate.

Agreed. I used to use this word a lot back in the day (It is used pretty commonly by teenage boys in India), but now it makes me wince. I must admit I do say 'Gamma rape you' a lot when I'm fighting as or against Hulk

Dahbomb

if capcom is nerfing characters because of casual online play and scrubs getting destroyed by hulks H then why would they leave wesker the way he is? do they want him to be the kinda character most people pick up and is easy to learn and does a lot of damage? zero is pretty easy to pick up but you don't see him too much online and most of the ones you see are complete ass.
I don't know why they would leave him alone just like I don't understand why they nerfed Hulk's command grab L/M. I don't work for Capcom... I just try to make sense of what they do. I have already reasoned out numerous times why Wesker SHOULD be fixed.

This isn't really a major revision patch and I don't expect one before EVO (I do expect small patches like this). I think right now there are more pressing issues with the game than balance issues... stuff like negligence of the console version of UMVC3 and issues with H&H. Demanding for offline multiplayer on H&H, proper friends lobby for H&H, replay mode/hit box mode and fixing obvious glitches in the game should be a priority right now from the fans. I guess people have literally stopped caring at this point because there isn't a big enough fuss over this.

Capcom doesn't nerf characters because of what others complain about, the guys there point their middle finger at tier lists and they nerf characters when they are being used the way they are not intended to be used. Hulk is clearly not intended to be a grappler and they want people not to be able to combo off his command throw.

I don't know why they would leave him alone just like I don't understand why they nerfed Hulk's command grab L/M. I don't work for Capcom... I just try to make sense of what they do. I have already reasoned out numerous times why Wesker SHOULD be fixed.

This isn't really a major revision patch and I don't expect one before EVO (I do expect small patches like this). I think right now there are more pressing issues with the game than balance issues... stuff like negligence of the console version of UMVC3 and issues with H&H. Demanding for offline multiplayer on H&H, proper friends lobby for H&H, replay mode/hit box mode and fixing obvious glitches in the game should be a priority right now from the fans. I guess people have literally stopped caring at this point because there isn't a big enough fuss over this.

Nittsuma said that his team has been busy with a lot of stuff for this patch and they don't have time to consider Wesker changes or changes for anyone else. Any balance changes we have seen must have been decided a long, long time ago. They obviously knew how strong Wesker is going to be before they released the game and they saw nothing wrong with that.

Dahbomb

Capcom doesn't nerf characters because of what others complain about, the guys there point their middle finger at tier lists and they nerf characters when they are being used the way they are not intended to be used. Hulk is clearly not intended to be a grappler and they want people not to be able to combo off his command throw.
This is dumb because A) He can still combo off of his H Command throw B) If he isn't intended to be a grappler... why give him 3 sets of command throws? C) Why give a character a command throw that puts the opponent in a hard knockdown state if you aren't allowed to combo off of it? D) Can still combo off of all his command throws with his back closer to the corner.

The idea behind the command throw for Hulk was great. You want to pressurize the opponent into not pressing buttons. Once you do you can go for air grabs or command throws. Both his air grabs and command throws required that you have an OTG assist on deck (sacrificing team construction just for this option) to capitalize off of both. If Hulk's grab game is marginalized then you can just block him all day. Having an OTG assist strengthened the notion that Hulk was meant to be played as a point character with assists backing him up for great scare factor.

Next thing you will tell me that Haggar wasn't meant to be a grappler in vanilla MVC3 because you couldn't combo off of his grabs in that game.

Nittsuma said that his team has been busy with a lot of stuff for this patch and they don't have time to consider Wesker changes or changes for anyone else. Any balance changes we have seen must have been decided a long, long time ago. They obviously knew how strong Wesker is going to be before they released the game and they saw nothing wrong with that.
I can respect this because I know it takes a while before patches are worked in and approved. Which is why I didn't really expect a "knee jerk" change to Wesker. I still find it mind boggling that after 10 months, they don't think that a hyper like Wesker/Vergil are fine in this game. I also don't know what they were thinking with the glasses mechanic... if they were even thinking at all.

RS4-

The super fast health regen is annoying in H&H on an active character, fuckers don't die. I must've lost three times to a team like that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
H&H mode is so fun and addictive! I just wish that cards were allowed in player matches, and you could have custom player matches that don't "count" toward the weekly battle. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

I just read that you can parry while you're being combo'd. I was wondering why there were so many awkward pauses while I was combo'ing people online. I had originally thought it had to do with taking reflective damage or something. It seems deliberate, since the parry during hitstun is a red flash versus a white flash... though, it's a terrible idea.

Bizazedo

I just read that you can parry while you're being combo'd. I was wondering why there were so many awkward pauses while I was combo'ing people online. I had originally thought it had to do with taking reflective damage or something. It seems deliberate, since the parry during hitstun is a red flash versus a white flash... though, it's a terrible idea.

It's fast becoming my most hated thing about this mode since it hurts / makes it impossible for people with combos that have a lot of button presses to..well..combo..due to timing being thrown off.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I need to figure out Dante and his assits soon :D

Any pro player videos I need to look out for in UMVC3?

Richard N and Yipes seem to be the only pros of note that have stuck with Dante so far (at least on some teams). His assist options are pretty simple. They're all good but each serves a different function on a team. Weasel shot is good for teleporters and overall left/right mixup characters. Jam session is good for defensive play or for keeping an opponent locked while you perform a mixup in the air. Crystal is an OTG if you really need one, but it's generally considered the weakest assist.

It's fast becoming my most hated thing about this mode since it hurts / makes it impossible for people with combos that have a lot of button presses to..well..combo..due to timing being thrown off.

It's super annoying. I kept trying to figure out why there were pauses. It just kept going.

V_Arnold

Richard N and Yipes seem to be the only pros of note that have stuck with Dante so far (at least on some teams). His assist options are pretty simple. They're all good but each serves a different function on a team. Weasel shot is good for teleporters and overall left/right mixup characters. Jam session is good for defensive play or for keeping an opponent locked while you perform a mixup in the air. Crystal is an OTG if you really need one, but it's generally considered the weakest assist.

Thank you.

Well, I am using a Dante/Vergil/Strider or a Vergil/Dante/Strider or sometimes even a Strider/Dante/Vergil team as my "main" right now. Vergil does need some assist help when it comes to going in with some mixups, yeah, but not the OTG, I guess. Using Vajra with Strider obviously.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thank you.

Well, I am using a Dante/Vergil/Strider or a Vergil/Dante/Strider or sometimes even a Strider/Dante/Vergil team as my "main" right now. Vergil does need some assist help when it comes to going in with some mixups, yeah, but not the OTG, I guess. Using Vajra with Strider obviously.

On a team like that, I'd use Weasel Shot exclusively. You can even use Weasel Shot to extend combos while using Vergil's High Time OTG. I use Dante/Wesker/Morrigan, and have used Weasel Shot since pretty much the first week of Vanilla. It's pretty invaluable for left/right mixup characters, of which your team is pretty much exclusively comprised.

Vajra is really nasty, and is making me consider playing around with a variation of my team substituting in Strider. Vajra+Dante teleport make superjumping very very dangerous for your opponent... really really ambiguous and leads to hard knockdown and a full combo.

Also, Clockwork's combo exhibitions in tournament play have really made me want to learn and use those combos.

Uncle AJ

I've settled on two decks after the first night:

91fac8f5ba900a5cda82f7fd8bd4215a.png
3b2d245b3ee7339503dd731457d1d0c0.png
7cb99074263985b5b892019f57d4541a.png

Primary: Increases chance of finding rare Capcom cards (Lvl 3) and decreases the amount of time for charge moves (seems like it cuts the time in half).
Secondary 1: Crouching will restore meter (Lvl 1)
Secondary 2: Increases length of instant attacks (Lvl 1) and gives you 2 additional meters at the start of the fight.

Chun-Li is my point character so the Megaman + Roll combo benefits her quite a bit. 1 second to charge an EX spinning bird kick. ONE SECOND. It punishes so much stuff it's beautiful. And while I'm sitting there charging it, I'm regaining meter. It becomes a lot easier to do EX SBK loops and rack up the hit counter for Frank (my second character) to level up. Megaman is a great card to have on day one. I got 9 Blodia cards within 3 hours. The extra meter from Mephisto isn't totally necessary... I'd rather put Dr. Wily in there once I find him (Attack power increases proportionally to the amount of HC Gauge stored (Lvl 1)), plus it would complete the Megaman theme.

And for when I feel like cheesing the offline mode:

7cb99074263985b5b892019f57d4541a.png
3d0ffdd5e29a34f2b22c99e0a08f961b.png
2939bd4212c8528e6505be97fa7ce0f5.png

Primary: Start the fight with 4 meters, and meter refills automatically (Lvl 2)
Secondary 1: X-Factor is always on as long as you have 3 or more meters, but it disables you from using Hyper Combos at all.
Secondary 2: Damage during X-Factor increases (Lvl 2)

Sentinel, Wesker, and Doom. Instant lvl 2.5 X-factor that lasts for the whole match. What more needs to be said. NEUTRALIZE, SLAUGHTER

Uncle AJ

Oooo, which card is this?

I've been rocking Primary: Felynes, and Sub: Nick Fury X2 just to get rare cards.

Megaman's primary effect. I got Felynes pretty early (primary effect is finding rare Capcom cards (Lvl 2) and it was a rank C card pretty easy to find) so I'm sure that helped.

Playing this game online gives me a heart attack.

After a lot of soul searching I've decided to stick with Tron. Pretty sure I'm the only person in the world using her. She works really well Frank West. If I land a combo with Tron and have 2 meters, it's a guaranteed level 4 with Frank. Those chainsaws are fucking silly. Too bad Z-Saber still beats them.

I dare anyone to find a stronger H&H team than this:

Wesker(Low Shot)/Magneto(EMD)/Shuma(Laser)

Fin Fang Foom - Primary: You can activate X-Factor an unlimited number of times at the cost of HC Gauge, however you will no longer be able to use Hyper Combos.
Juggernaut - Secondary: Assist attacks gain super armor. [Lv. 2] (uses HC Gauge upon hit)
Fantastic Four - Secondary: Gain the ability to call assists even when you are taking damage at the cost of HC Gauge.

Barrage

Can someone please explain to me what an "Instant Attack" is?

Fin Fang Foom - Primary: You can activate X-Factor an unlimited number of times at the cost of HC Gauge, however you will no longer be able to use Hyper Combos.
Juggernaut - Secondary: Assist attacks gain super armor. [Lv. 2] (uses HC Gauge upon hit)
Fantastic Four - Secondary: Gain the ability to call assists even when you are taking damage at the cost of HC Gauge

I would think you would never have meter....

Fantastic Four - Secondary: Gain the ability to call assists even when you are taking damage at the cost of HC Gauge.

I was cheezing the CPU with Fin Fang Dooom and the "all attacks to chip" card and something else with Ghost Rider, Sent, and Morrigan. All of GR's crazy normals in X-Factor just plowed through everyone while I spammed assists.

Huh. I lost at the last fight in the bonus stages every time yesterday, and this time I beat it on my first try with no cards(rare card up only). I wanted to play online today, but I was having some trouble logging in. I'll try again in a little bit.

Can someone please explain to me what an "Instant Attack" is?

I would think you would never have meter....

The amount of meter you lose from super armor is really little and only gets taken away for that one hit. My team builds a ton of meter just from blockstrings, so I usually wind up with 3-5 meters at the end anyway. The only time I really use meter is x-factor activation. Combo breakers with shuma cost practically nothing. Basically means I can guard cancel anything into a character kill, and they can't convert any hit into damage. I really want to use this team online.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can someone explain the level on the cards for me? Do I level up my cards the more I use it or the more I collect?
If your talking about SABC, that's just the rarity of the card.

If your looking at the level numbers on the individual effects of the cards, those just denote the strength of the effect. For instance, HC gauge increase level 1 starts you with 1 extra bar, where as HC gauge increase level 2 starts you with 2 extra bars. Similarly, "Increase Damage" level 2 would increase your damage output % a lot more than a level 1 effect of the same card (say, Ulik) would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom