• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Zero is the best in the game, Phoenix Wright is the worst... I am about 90% sure of this at this stage. Characters in the S class are so top they deserve a couple of nerfs (Zero/Viper rightfully deserve a reduction in their max scaling damage on their special moves).
Just got home from a night of drinking and I'm slooooowly reading through this thread, but like, what do you think about Wesker? Also, I'm going to be back in NYC on around the 27th. What are the spots to go to? I know there was Chinatown Arcade, but didn't that get shutdown? I WANNA GET SOME GAMES IN.

Edit: Read some more thoughts about wesker from ya. Seriously man, easy execution is one of those things that makes him so broken. He can take out a full health thor with the most stupidly easy combo ever, that is super easy to land. If that's not top tier I don't know what is. I'd honestly be willing to hear what makes you think Zero is over Wesker at this point. I also disagree about Viper. I really believe that execution should be part of that.

Tobe

i dont get something about the cards, i mean there are 2 effects for 1 card right, are both always on or do i choose which effect i want? if so, then how do i choose the effect

Dahbomb

Thor and Wesker blow up XF guard cancels. Not many people know about this especially about Wesker but when they do they will start complaining. One of my buddy abuses it and now I am restricted to only XFC against him in the air (like j.S). Against Thor you can't do against him at all.

I also have a working theory on why they made snapbacks 2 frame instead of 1. I believe that getting hit by a physical attack 1 frame after X factor cancel while cause you to get hit by the attack anyway. I have been unable to test this correctly because I don't know how I can do a 1 frame attack. It doesn't work against projectile based attacks so you can safely do XFC against a beam attack.

i dont get something about the cards, i mean there are 2 effects for 1 card right, are both always on or do i choose which effect i want? if so, then how do i choose the effect
One effect is Primary and the other is Secondary. You have to choose the Primary card in your "deck" and 2 Secondaries. Primary effects are always the more powerful effect.

what do you think about Wesker?
He's top 5. Without going into too much detail. Great set of normals, dominant spammy projectile, easy mode movement/teleport/combo options, god tier command throw, solid easy damage output, out zones heavies, rushes down zoners, godly reset/mix up game, ridiculous cross up hyper that shouldn't be in the game, extremely difficult to react to/defend against in XF + glasses off and kills off of every touch very fast, glasses mechanics overrides some nerfs of Wesker, staple OTG/combo extender assist of the game, great health, best launcher in the game, no hit confirm requirement and some more stuff. There are characters that are technically above Wesker in terms of match ups and general power of tool.. but no character has it as easy as Wesker does right now.

You can't go wrong playing him... if someone holds a gun to your head telling you that you have to go place top 16 in the next major UMVC3 tournament and the tournament is coming in less than 5 days... you need to pick Wesker and pick him last. It's harder to prevent Wesker from reverse OCVing your team than it is for Wesker to actually reverse OCV teams.

kirblar

Thor and Wesker blow up XF guard cancels. Not many people know about this especially about Wesker but when they do they will start complaining. One of my buddy abuses it and now I am restricted to only XFC against him in the air (like j.S). Against Thor you can't do against him at all.

I also have a working theory on why they made snapbacks 2 frame instead of 1. I believe that getting hit by a physical attack 1 frame after X factor cancel while cause you to get hit by the attack anyway. I have been unable to test this correctly because I don't know how I can do a 1 frame attack. It doesn't work against projectile based attacks so you can safely do XFC against a beam attack.
I thought there was tech that came out with the snapbacks just before UMvC3 launched that was the reason for the nerf?

http://shoryuken.com/2011/10/11/mvc3-beating-x-factor-guard-cancels-with-snapbacks/

Edit: Here we go- you could beat the one-frame XF Cancel with a one-Frame Snapback.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Re: command grabs: Felicia also has a 1-framer she can combo off of solo. :3

Re: tiers

To be honest, one of the biggest reasons my eyes just slide off the page whenever I read theory fighter tier list bullshit is because tiering a 3-v-3 game with assists is pointless outside of the small handful of characters that dictate the pace of a match all on their own (e.g. Vanilla Phoenix). The "proper" way to tier a game like MvC3 is to lay out every possible team/assist/order combination and lay out the match-ups that way... and that is unfeasible for obvious reasons.

Cards have a main effect and a secondary effect. One card in your deck can be set to main effect while the other two are on secondary.

Anyway, VICTORY BONUS unlocked! Roll those dice! Let's go!!

No proper versus feature for this mode is a crime against humanity.

I have at least 5 Fin Fang Foom cards but have no intention of using it.

Ok, I just got a new setup that I really like. I was thinking before, and Strider is my worst character on my team and I use him pretty much just for the assist. I think psychologically, he's really good in his posistion, but I don't know if I have the presence of mind to use him properly right now.

However, I thought of a new strategy and combined my teams since wesker strider resets are pretty meh and escapable in practice. I'm now working on Wesker(low shot)/Magneto(EMD)/Spencer(up grapple).

All 3 characters are good anchors and the team order can be swapped around a lot, plus it's a good amount of health on the team. I might have more problems with certain zoning teams, I'll need to play some people(karst/Q).

Anyway, instead of resetting with Strider, I'll low shot into up grapple assist then command grab/extend the combo/crossup/late jab/whatever.

How many (viable) characters have command grabs? Wesker, Morrigan?

Doesn't matter, I play Wesker.

But completing extra hit lists gives you nothing.. doesn't it? Though I'm aware you can keep playing more matches vs. the CPU to get cards per match.

I dunno, I actually never beat any of the bonus stages in the twelve or so times I tried them. Got to the last battle every single time. Probably should have chosen a chip team, but I just wanted to grind as fast as possible. I did make it through the normal stages without losing, though.

Dartastic

Re: tiers

To be honest, one of the biggest reasons my eyes just slide off the page whenever I read theory fighter tier list bullshit is because tiering a 3-v-3 game with assists is pointless outside of the small handful of characters that dictate the pace of a match all on their own (e.g. Vanilla Phoenix). The "proper" way to tier a game like MvC3 is to lay out every possible team/assist/order combination and lay out the match-ups that way... and that is unfeasible for obvious reasons.
Exactly. Another reason: Wesker in Ultimate.

Sixfortyfive

If you want to grind away in H&H offline, just pick Hawkeye and play his fullscreen game backed up by appropriate assists. The CPU has no idea what to do against it, generally. I 100%ed both campaigns tonight doing that. Didn't use any cards except "increase frequency of rare cards," either.

Frantic

Luke Cage on a secondary slot is kinda hilarious. One card turns Dante from a 900k health character to a 1.1 million character. Spencer goes from 1.05 to a little over 1.3million. Two turns Dante into a 1.3 million, and Spencer goes to 1.5+ Pairing it with a regenerating health card just makes it even better.

Funnily enough, Phoenix goes from 375k to a little under 600k with two cards. Shame. I was hoping to troll with a Phoenix that could actually survive a combo without Healing Field! :p

Dahbomb

Just like in standard MVC3 modes... CPU is FREE to super armor and zoning.

I try to challenge myself by playing rushdown and not doing stuff that exploits the AI. Against harder level AI they block the harder to react to mix ups but get hit by dumb stuff.

Sixfortyfive

Luke Cage on a secondary slot is kinda hilarious. One card turns Dante from a 900k health character to a 1.1 million character. Spencer goes from 1.05 to a little over 1.3million. Two turns Dante into a 1.3 million, and Spencer goes to 1.5+ Pairing it with a regenerating health card just makes it even better.

Funnily enough, Phoenix goes from 375k to a little under 600k with two cards. Shame. I was hoping to troll with a Phoenix that could actually survive a combo without Healing Field! :p
Isn't that the card that gives you a health boost EVERY time you drop under 5%, not a one-time thing?

Sixfortyfive

I try to challenge myself by playing rushdown and not doing stuff that exploits the AI.
Eh, that's kind of pointless imo. You can't learn much from an opponent with godlike reactions but no competent strategy.

I just practiced my Hawkeye hitconfirms for ~5 hours. :D

mr. puppy

Banned

Giard

I'm always getting the same goddamn cards in offline H&H. I really think certain cards only appear in certain locations.

If someone wants to check it out...I'm pretty damn sure that Kingpin and Blade drop like crazy in Demon Village Redux, same for Hideo in Asgard: Sea of Space.

Frantic

Isn't that the card that gives you a health boost EVERY time you drop under 5%, not a one-time thing?
That's Nick Fury. Luke Cage gives "Increased Vitality[LVL 2]". I think Luke Cage is the only one that has it on secondary, which makes his card rather awesome.

Pairing the two together sounds like a hilariously annoying duo, though.

I'm always getting the same goddamn cards in offline H&H. I really think certain cards only appear in certain locations.

If someone wants to check it out...I'm pretty damn sure that Kingpin and Blade drop like crazy in Demon Village Redux, same for Hideo in Asgard: Sea of Space.
You want to hear something really stupid? I got Hulkbuster Armor four times in a row after I had already maxed that card out. I wanted to throw my controller across the room.

Sixfortyfive

I wasn't paying super close attention but I do agree that certain cards had a tendency of dropping on specific stages multiple times.

Giard

You want to hear something really stupid? I got Hulkbuster Armor four times in a row after I had already maxed that card out. I wanted to throw my controller across the room.
You can still get the same card even when you have 9 copies of it?

...Why?

Dahbomb

Of course it's pointless but it's at least a fair fight for the CPU. I do the same in SSF4.

That's Nick Fury. And it's pretty cheap with Sakuya and other regen health/tank cards.

Will to be honest... "cheap" just means the combination is decent. "Broken" means the combination is good in H&H.

Hulk nerfs prove that Capcom is more concerned about balancing this game around online play than high level tournament play.

Capcom internal tier list strikes again.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I got 4 Blades on Demon Village Redux [Heroes]. You may have something going here.

Frantic

You can still get the same card even when you have 9 copies of it?

...Why?
I think my game bugged out, because I've maxed out a couple other cards and have yet to get them again. I was especially pissed off when I got Hulkbuster for winning... and then Hulkbuster for clearing the area. :/

Dahbomb

Wesker ain't exactly rare online.
The nerfbat is going to come. Probably by the time the next major revision shows up.

I think Hulk Command throw H and Command throw L into OTG combo still works. The change is odd to say the least.

Dartastic

I'm here to throw out another "if so and so nerfs so and so" bet. If they nerf Ammy before Wesker I'm done. I'm double plus done with this game.

Edit: Dahbomb, respond to my post man. What makes Zero better than Wesker?

So I played online today and for the first time I had no lag! The result? I go 9 and 3 and have a 5 game win streak going on. If I didnt lag so bad the first month or so I would have been had that 6th lord trophy. The best was when I played someone who had a mic and keep yelling why you running away fag fight like a man. So when he was down to his last character I stopped playing lame, do teleport H to get in with Dormammu and finished his Hulk off with a nasty combo lol.

shaowebb

I think I've settled on a team of Iron Fist/Spencer/Strider. I think its good in theory, but I'm just going off bits and pieces I can steal from better theory fighter pros like Deviljin and Dahbomb

I haven't had time to play a lot, but all I do is obsess on Iron Fist and all I've played really has been me playing Iron Fist so I'd like to pitch in my thoughts on your team.

Both Vajra and Slant Shot are really good with Iron Fist. Vajra keeps people occupied from full screen that are keeping you out long enough to get in and punish them for running away, and it sets up incredible High Low setups on blocking characters and on incoming opponents. Slant Shot sets up some nice punishes to anyone trying to jump over or back jump away from you, or flyers. However, as someone pointed out already he doesn't really need both. You do need some sort of assist to help you get in with him and that means an attack you can dash up behind and mainly use to eat through projectiles because folks will be using them to hold you at bay.

Justin Wong nearly lost to Mine in Grand Finals due to good projectile usage and other stuff , and he WAS knocked into losers when stuff like this was making it too rough on his Iron Fist to help him rack up the damage. If he hadn't had Tatsu to help Iron Fist it would've been a lot worse on Iron Fist and even with Akuma Tatsu it was rough when Mine started slinging good zoning on that character. To win Grand Finals he really had to rely more on Wolverine + Akuma than Iron Fist + Akuma since BFF combos with Berzerker Slash go behind worked better to get around these kind of things.

With that in mind remember this team is fine IF you are confident enough in reading opponents with beams and think they can't predict you, but really its going to comedown to who hits who first if you don't have a move like a beam or tatsu to ride through keep away with Iron Fist because he will eat a lot of chip if he doesn't get that first hit in to kill a man right away. Really, if you keep this team I'd switch up the team order and put Spencer on point, and Iron Fist second so Spencer's mobility can be augmented by Iron Fist's kick to wall off the screen or Vajra to hold them still. Spencer will likely do the role of heavy hitter that wears them down better than Iron Fist since he won't be as punishable by keep away. I'd use him to snap in problem guys like Doom, Chris, or Magneto and hammer them with him right off the bat so that when Iron Fist goes in later he'll have a better chance with Vajra to finish the job.

Still if this team is all about super powering Iron Fist you may want to ask yourself whether you are better with Spencer or Strider and cut one of them for a good assist to eat projectiles. Beams are great like Unibeam or Doom's beam because they cover the whole ground and give you a full screen runway, but if your good at not ending up a full screen away other assists can handle this for you too that don't have to be a beam. I don't know if it has projectile durability but I've gotten in a lot off of Ammy Coldstar from half screen or a little beyond since it last awhile and locks down as well as covers a lot of space to dash up through to close the gap some.

Just choose who you're most comfortable with and use them in either situation. Either a different partner you feel comfy with that Iron Fist can use to get in or maybe just a team order switchup. Latter choice depends on what your BNB is if you swap lineup at all, and also depends on how good you are at reading and controlling an opponent with these characters so they don't keep you out eating chips. Hope this was worth something.

Bizazedo

That's usually free 400K with Gamma Wave afterwards. Not sure why this was necessary.

I usually exploit the Super Armor of Sent to the AI. It's far too easy, but I only do that on the bonus stages. Try to switch it up with the regular stages so I don't kill myself.

Well, you could do a lot more than 400k with a proper dash/jump cancel + OTG assist.

By the look of it, it almost looks like y'still can do it with the wesker one. I'll have to play around with it.

I have no idea why they'd nerf it, though. Obviously, it's secret tech we have yet to see.

So, like, are you SUPPOSED to be able to parry while getting combo'd? People are doing it to throw off my timing while I murder them and it's really aggravating.

Like, they still get hit, but it adds stutters to the combo.

Kimosabae

Banned
So did anyone else notice the lack of Nova at SCR? Even Yipes dropped him for Mags. He's tailing off, as I predicted. There might be another surge for him because he still has tech yet to be abused with Assists, which raises his ceiling a bit, but otherwise, once you learn how to block him he has to work really hard.

Throw Tech patch hurts him a lot too. No more mindless forward Air Dash -> 6H OS -> to Air Grab -> Dead Character. Thank fucking God.

Sixfortyfive

21W 3L. Doing my part for Team Galactus!

Multiple Man is a terrible card; why does anyone use it?

So did anyone else notice the lack of Nova at SCR? Even Yipes dropped him for Mags. He's tailing off, as I predicted. There might be another surge for him because he still has tech yet to be abused with Assists, which raises his ceiling a bit, but otherwise, once you learn how to block him he has to work really hard.

Throw Tech patch hurts him a lot too. No more mindless forward Air Dash -> 6H OS -> to Air Grab -> Dead Character. Thank fucking God.
Never really understood the hype. He seems generally easy to read, block, and punish. Not that he isn't solid.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The AI isn't that great on the 100% stage, unless they have cards that give them a crazy amount of health, and parry. I'm a scrub at this game, and I've managed to get through it by rushing down with Trish. I just picked her up recently. I actually feel comfortable just using the cards that help me catch the rare ones.

So, like, are you SUPPOSED to be able to parry while getting combo'd? People are doing it to throw off my timing while I murder them and it's really aggravating.

Like, they still get hit, but it adds stutters to the combo.

Fucking Ghost Rider jumped, did J.S, and parried a point blank Shockwave to the face. The card is ridiculous. lol. I'm pretty sure it makes matches longer as well, due to the little pause it has when they parry.

Man, you all have seen how bad my execution is on stream. It took me about ten minutes to get Wesker's Gun Loop down. I could hit that shit off of a command crab and in the corner damn near 90% of the time. I'm sure you can do it mid screen, but the timing is a little difficult for me.

So bullshit. lol

smurfx

get some go again
well i just played online for a while and i didn't notice anything different from zero/task/haggar so they seem mostly the same. although its nice that haggars punch hyper got a small buff. i would of rather his stomach splash hyper got a big damage buff but whatever.

just wait till combofiend gets back from china and starts winning tournaments with nova. people always copy so there will plenty of novas.

Neki

naw, getting rid of the tech glitch helped him. now I can actually punish people instead of them mashing on H on an unsafe move.

Dahbomb

If Super Skrull gets to block during air dash and Iron Man can't... I am going to be SALTY AS FUCK! Damn sodium levels everywhere are so high right now.

Dahbomb, respond to my post man. What makes Zero better than Wesker?
Didn't see your edited post.

Wesker can't approach Zero while's he in the air with a charged Buster. He has no option to challenge Zero in the air. He can't do anything about Buster pressure, he can't do anything about Lightning cross ups. He has big trouble against Zero's normals as they out prioritize just about everything Wesker has. Zero on the other hand by passes Wesker's gun pressure and general footsie/teleport shenanigans. There is also a significant damage differential between the two. As a Wesker player myself this match up has gone to complete favor to Zero in Ultimate.

That's just the match up. Before Wesker had a shot of shutting down Zero with a clutch counter read. Now he can't do that in tight pressure and air X factor makes it a bad call to throw out without a major read which is not going to happen often against a good Zero player.

People overhype Zero's execution requirement. He's not that hard to play even with basic fundamentals. The whole charging during battle is weird but it's his only true execution requirement... his combos aren't hard, his mix ups/resets aren't hard and his movement/zoning isn't hard either. Essentially if you put in more time with Zero eventually he develops into a better character than Wesker overall.

Zero is the best character in the game for these reasons:

*Godly neutral game. It's extremely easy for Zero to hit you but it's extremely difficult for you to hit Zero. In this game this is the most important aspect for a character to have.
*Godly normals with tons of priority and active frames. J.H covers Zero and makes him a moving hit box.
*Buster allows Zero to convert from spaces, angles and distances few other characters can and make most of his pressure/approaches safe.
*Lightning allows Zero to cross up at angles and spaces few other characters can. Zero also has an excellent mix up/reset game thanks to this and command dashes plus disjointed hit boxes.
*Lightning -> Buster allows Zero to fish for these cross ups while remaining safe. He can opt for another Lightning fish for a double cross up.
*Godly damage. Special move scaling for Zero is legitimately broken. Can convert from random hits easier than most characters in the game. Zero ranks as one of the highest in meterless damage.
*Various tools in his arsenal allows Zero to apply pressure from a safe distance while also mixing up the opponent. Very few other characters can do this.
*Sogenmu amplifies everything Zero does. He becomes a space control monster and just becomes a flurry of hit boxes all over the screen and his mix ups become unreadable.
*It's extremely easy for Zero to get in on zoning characters with a simple Lightning -> Buster -> Lightning. On the flip side, it's extremely difficult for hard rushdown characters to approach Zero because he is always pressing buttons that are hard to beat and everything he does is safe or can be made safe.
*I am not aware of a match up where Zero is not in favor or equal in Ultimate. If there is one please tell me about it so I can main the character.

The scary part about Zero is that in Ultimate he doesn't even need assists to play at a top tier level, just needs some combo extender assist to get something out of his air throw (and by something I mean he can pretty much do a million damaging combo off of an air throw as well). To be honest at this point Zero being #1 isn't anything new because just about every top player has mentioned it or talked about it. Even Justin conceded that he is #1 and Wesker is #2. I was calling Zero as #1 in the game when the game first came out and someone did Lightning -> Buster -> Lightning against me... for which I reverse engineered and discovered first hand that just like the B Slash not even the Zero player knows exactly which side he is going to end up at.

Oh and Drones + Zero = Stupid. Have fun when you get hit by Lightning in between the Drones. There are only a few things that Wesker does better than Zero = Reverse OCV teams while in XFLVL3 mode (which by the way... Zero is pretty good at too but he isn't played at that spot make use of it), a better grab game, easier to play and a better assist.

Dahbomb

Multiple Man is a terrible card; why does anyone use it?
I think it gives you LVL3XF at the start of the round and with Fou Lo essentially 3 XFLVL3 come back characters. Could be wrong haven't played around with it. Plus it gives you random passive boosts too. The fact that you can't use assists, DHCs or any other team mechanic really hurts it though.

Parry is complete bull shit in the game. I can't imagine that Parry during hit stun was an intended feature.

He's solid for sure, I think Magneto is better than him in the long run. Yipes tried out new characters, felt his older characters were better so stuck with them instead.

Nova is still really good because of easy damage, combos off of air throw, j.H OS and cross ups, slide, solid reset/mix up game and Gravimetric Pulse and E Javelin shenanigans. Combofiend isn't going to drop him because he's a Combofiend character pure and simple. He has already found impeccable team synergy with him on his team. Nova completes his new team.

shaowebb

I keep hearing folks mentioning the tech glitch is gone, but I don't know what they're talking about. I can still start a match pressed chest to chest with someone and start mashing and we'll tech forever trying to throw each other once the match starts.

Are folks talking about something else?

Neki

I keep hearing folks mentioning the tech glitch is gone, but I don't know what they're talking about. I can still start a match pressed chest to chest with someone and start mashing and we'll tech forever trying to throw each other once the match starts.

Are folks talking about something else?

Tech glitch is when you were in recovery frames and you could still tech. Mashing throw at the beginning of the match still works because it puts both players at the same frame advantage. This has more to do when people do unsafe supers with long recovery times (Vergil) and you try to throw them out of it.

Dahbomb

That's not what the fix is.

The fix is that on move recovery you can now grab them. Before someone could be doing a super, you can jump behind them and throw them but they could tech out of it. That is what is fixed.

They still need to fix the fact that teching still puts you in distance to throw again which is sort of dumb. That's a problem that's been in the game since day 1 vanilla.

Oh and I got the Ms Marvel card... it's as described. For those that play DOTA/HON, it's like Spectre/Sand Wraith LVL3 where the damage received is literally reflected back as a percentage. Just as I thought, this is a must on tank characters/cards and vitality boosters.

Attack damage boosts for each level is around 10%. So something with an attack damage boost labelled as LVL3 is in fact a 30% damage boost. Pretty fucking nuts!

I also tested Multiple Man, it does NOT have LVL3XF from start. It just works as normal. Pretty underwhelming card to be honest now that I realize this.

Dartastic

big ass long Zero post
Seriously, that's a great post. Thank you. I still feel that the barrier for entry with Zero is much higher, and with Wesker it's literally the easiest stuff you can possibly imagine. For top players I can understand that train of thought, for sure. However, Wesker can literally bbcs bbcs gunshot s bbc super you to death, and that's stupid.

If we get really technical it makes sense that Zero is better. However, ease of use and stupidity is a major factor, and that's definitely one of the reasons why people saw Phoenix as broken in Vanilla. It's a point that you just can't deny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom