• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Added myself....I'm the only PS3 user? foreveralone.jpg
i guess i'll add myself even though i don't do much h&h

Code:
MarvelGAF Heroes & Heralds - Week of December 25th

GAF Username    System  Gamertag         Faction  Location     Availability
--------------  ------  ---------------  -------  -----------  ------------
Sixfortyfive    360     Sixfortyfive     Heroes   USA/Alabama  after 7PM ET
Oldschoolgamer  360     OldschoolgamerZ  Heroes   USA/MD       after 7PM ET
rs4-            360     dokterrhouse     heroes   CAN/Tor      anytime
The Abominable 
Snowman         360     vagabond01       HERALDS  USA/Virginia After 8PM EST
Professor Beef  PS3     ProfessorBeef    Heroes   USA/CA       Anytime
ihearthawthats  PS3     ihearthawthats   Heroes   CAN/ON       After 9PM EST

shaowebb

Code:
MarvelGAF Heroes & Heralds - Week of December 25th

GAF Username    System  Gamertag         Faction  Location     Availability
--------------  ------  ---------------  -------  -----------  ------------
Sixfortyfive    360     Sixfortyfive     Heroes   USA/Alabama  after 7PM ET
Oldschoolgamer  360     OldschoolgamerZ  Heroes   USA/MD       after 7PM ET
rs4-            360     dokterrhouse     heroes   CAN/Tor      anytime
The Abominable 
Snowman         360     vagabond01       HERALDS  USA/Virginia After 8PM EST
Professor Beef  PS3     ProfessorBeef    Heroes   USA/CA       Anytime
shaowebb        360      Dynasty Penguin  Heroes  USA/WV    after 10pm till 1am-ish
Added myself....I'm the only PS3 user? foreveralone.jpg

Added myself properly this time. LOL at team Heralds. Everyone wanting to play there team colors. apparently.

LakeEarth

I just ran into a multiple man Zero player with Megaman's super quick charge card, making his buster a constant threat. Good thinking on his part.

I saw another person who had the "turn invisible when you land a snapback" card. Really powerful with Ghost Rider, since he can hit you pretty much everywhere on the screen. You have no clue where he is. Problem was he had a few good opportunities to kill but went for the snap back instead, which let one of my snapped-out characters to take it.

here's Viper getting blown up by Dieminion b/c she's the best character in the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxZeLrRDCH0#t=1m14s
marlin pie's blocking ability has gotten exposed by dieminion's joe before. its unfortunate that marlin still doesn't know the matchup. joe gets blown up by chicken blocking or just blocking high in general (but chicken blocking also makes you less suceptible from his j.s crossing up). his better normals being his j.s and f+m ground overhead. his air throw game and his lows aren't particularly strong.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Marlinpie doesn't know the match up against Dieminion's team (most people don't). He got bodied by him at NEC as well.

Come to think of it, Viewtiful Joe is probably the least discussed character in both of the games.

Dahbomb

Joe is pretty good and underrated, always has been. A bit high on the execution level compared to the rest of the cast but nothing TOO difficult. Stubby normals and generally low damage shy people away from him but he has strong tools. His zoning is hella annoying to deal with even by some of the better characters in the game. His defensive options have been buffed in UMVC3 thanks to V Dodge, I think it's a very powerful tool to have. His air throw game also isn't scary because all he gets from it is a hyper. He enjoys the neutral game on point and likes the opponent to come to him through the ground so he can do cross up j.S or his instant overhead (well it's a regular overhead... but it comes so fast it might as well be instant).

Underrated means people are missing something. A character doesn't have to be bad to not be used. There are just characters that are better at everything Joe wants to do.

sephi22

Yo

Mandarin (Primary) + Grandmaster + Fin Fang Foom

on a Haggar team is the fucking truth. This guy approves.

ukFlH.jpg

Joe is pretty good and underrated, always has been. A bit high on the execution level compared to the rest of the cast but nothing TOO difficult. Stubby normals and generally low damage shy people away from him but he has strong tools. His zoning is hella annoying to deal with even by some of the better characters in the game. His defensive options have been buffed in UMVC3 thanks to V Dodge, I think it's a very powerful tool to have. His air throw game also isn't scary because all he gets from it is a hyper. He enjoys the neutral game on point and likes the opponent to come to him through the ground so he can do cross up j.S or his instant overhead (well it's a regular overhead... but it comes so fast it might as well be instant).

Dat overhead. It's such a good move since it looks nearly identical to his normal buttons. I still cannot fathom why they removed the OTG properties from RHK.

Kimosabae

Banned
The mere thought of voluntarily listening to keits and skisonic talk is enough to keep me away from that podcast for good.

I... I just don't get it.

Quit with your bullshit. This information is, at best, trivia. It's not even worth talking about.

Quit with your pig-headedness. What's "bullshit" about it? You can treat it as trivia if you want, but I'm someone that feels all information is worth looking into. Before the gunloop, I was actually on Viscant's side of the fence that Wesker might be overblown, and while those statistics regarding Wesker's K/D ratio aren't hard evidence to support the notion due to their isolation, they're definitely in harmony with the notion. You don't just dismiss the notion entirely because you think it absurd.

Provide me a real argument with facts as to why I should take Neogaf's theory fighting about Wesker/Zero/Dark Phoenix being the best characters in the game, when - an admittedly small - sample of facts put those ideas into question? I'm not even saying I disagree with Zero/DP/Wesker being the best, because it's hard to consider i.e., Zero not being S tier when you consider the tools. I'm just saying dismissing facts entirely is what's truly dumb.

You know, Justin Wong is a player that I've looked up to for a long time now. Along with Viscant, he's one of two players that really sparked my drive to really grind out training mode. My favorite Justin quote is when he was asked why he's so good at fighting games, "I just know how to hit people...". It's one of the biggest reasons I care so little about tier lists. If you know how to hit people, you can make it work. His eventhubs post on character loyalty and his recent work during SCR got me thinking...

NLDTH.jpg

I don't know if I'll do it, I'm really happy with my current team...

By the way, that max damage is my current meterless combo with glasses-on Wesker. You best believe I'm ready for the glasses nerf.

What's "bullshit" about it?

I was actually talking about the condescending tone of your post.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know, Justin Wong is a player that I've looked up to for a long time now. Along with Viscant, he's one of two players that really sparked my drive to really grind out training mode. My favorite Justin quote is when he was asked why he's so good at fighting games, "I just know how to hit people...". It's one of the biggest reasons I care so little about tier lists. If you know how to hit people, you can make it work. His eventhubs post on character loyalty and his recent work during SCR got me thinking...

In most games, with most characters, in most situations, mind games win the day. The guy with the gameplan who doesn't fall apart wins. If anything, character loyalty can lead to situations where you have the psychological advantage because the other guy doesn't know why you are using your character. Maybe he thinks that character is trash, or that one particular tactic he knows should "always beat that character".

The flexible mind outthinks the rigid mind, etc.

In most games, with most characters, in most situations, mind games win the day. The guy with the gameplan who doesn't fall apart wins. If anything, character loyalty can lead to situations where you have the psychological advantage because the other guy doesn't know why you are using your character. Maybe he thinks that character is trash, or that one particular tactic he knows should "always beat that character".

The flexible mind outthinks the rigid mind, etc.
This only applies if the character is good or has a gameplan that can be executed by the player without too much difficulty. Iron Fist is good, not amazing, but definitely good.

Grecco

The mere thought of voluntarily listening to keits and skisonic talk is enough to keep me away from that podcast for good.

Keits is fine. In fact he does his job in the podcast. But Skizonic ughhhhhhhhhhh. Ive listend to 3 of them, one with PrRog after Evo, one with Viscant pre UMVC and now this one with Justin, all of them go like this

Keits asks the guest a question

guest starts awnsering

skizonic talks about himself, and some random thing abot him also awnsering the question.

Skizonic doenst understand that hes not the guest but he ends up taking over for the guest anyways .

JeTmAn81

NLDTH.jpg

I don't know if I'll do it, I'm really happy with my current team...

By the way, that max damage is my current meterless combo with glasses-on Wesker. You best believe I'm ready for the glasses nerf.

I was actually talking about the condescending tone of your post.

I think my average meterless combo with non-glasses Wesker ends up around 590k, but for some reason it sometimes gets up to 625k. I'm not sure exactly what makes the difference, but I've been practicing by starting off with an H teleport into j.S to start the combo. It may depend on whether I begin the ground series with a c.M (best for keeping the combo going, c.L tends to miss). After that, it's the standard hard knockdown, wall bounce stuff.

Wakeup would be better if it was called coffee talk with Keitsonic or something and they made it a conversation instead of an interview.

Anyway, I'm going back over Thor's frame data and there's a lot of weird, seemingly incomplete stuff. I knew that mighty spark assist had more durability than Plasma beam, but there's missing into for the initial spark. I don't need to count frames to know that the assist has more than 27 active frames.

Anyway, it seems like Thor got nerfed. Mighty Strike assist doesn't knock down anymore. It seems like a philosophical change across the board, EMD assist doesn't either. Must be trying to preemptively avoid another tatsu?

total team health.

I think my average meterless combo with non-glasses Wesker ends up around 590k
this is with glasses-ON, though.

So I went back to playing as Dante - I'm going to drop Vergil for now - and I can't seem to break 700,000 damage with Dante via one meter, no x-factor, and no assist.

Right now I have:

Box-dash H, M, H, Stinger, Bold Cancel, Volcano, Jump Cancel - H, airplay, H, (land) H, S, j.M, j.M, j.H, sky dance (gives me the ground bounce) Cold Shower, stinger lvl 2, bold cancel jump, sky dance (gives me ground bounce reset again) then volcano into killer bee into hyper level 1.

That's about 700,000 - and builds maybe 20% net meter. Self sustaining and then some.

But I just know, somewhere, I could do something that gets me a bit more. Any tips?

sephi22

Listening to the Wakeup SRK podcast only makes me hate Skizonic more.

Oh god. I hate Skisonic so much in those podcasts.
Keits is alright. The best part of the show is when Keits reads the news and gives his thoughts on it. The worst part is Ski's closing speech which always makes me wince "So remember gamers, stay hungry but don't stay thirsty and devoid yourself of vital fluid, blah blah so wake up with your daily cup next week'

Also, Ski has this common with James Chen, but he has a habit of self-deprecating to the point of being annoying. James doesn't do this too much with his Cammy/Felicia, but Ski does this all the time. "Gee. Fuerte sucks so bad. Ask me". "Gee. I agree with your mentality of going to arcades and exposing fools, but doesn't work on someone like me. I went and got exposed. Laugh because I suck. Ha ha ha".

This podcast with Justin was interesting. He wants to win Evo with Iron Fist and I would love to see that happen. Also interesting that he mentions my Iron Fist tech, but chooses to call it yellow chi, which I admit is a much more convenient name than Empty cancelling.

(I hope its not wrong for me to claim credit for this, since I was pretty much the first one to discover this and I don't see anyone making much use of this.)

Burning Water

Neo Member
This podcast with Justin was interesting. He wants to win Evo with Iron Fist and I would love to see that happen. Also interesting that he mentions my Iron Fist tech, but chooses to call it yellow chi, which I admit is a much more convenient name than Empty cancelling.

(I hope its not wrong for me to claim credit for this, since I was pretty much the first one to discover this and I don't see anyone making much use of this.)

Awesome video, and nice TV. What Samsung model is that?

why not just use mighty smash?

Actually Spark is the best for Wesker. Keeps them standing, you can pin with it if you're close, and has a lot of hitstun against aerial opponents. Really good for mixups, but a lot of characters can duck it which instantly makes it pretty bad.

Smash is good, but it doesn't fit the way I play wesker.

Actually Spark is the best for Wesker. Keeps them standing, you can pin with it if you're close, and has a lot of hitstun against aerial opponents. Really good for mixups, but a lot of characters can duck it which instantly makes it pretty bad.

Smash is good, but it doesn't fit the way I play wesker.
yes beam assists are great for wesker and just in general, but i think mighty smash is similar enough to mighty strike to be a replacement for it.

yes beam assists are great for wesker and just in general, but i think mighty smash is similar enough to mighty strike to be a replacement for it.

See, the thing for me is that a basic requirement for my main Wesker assist is that it has to let me anti-air with gunshot from full screen into a combo on reaction.

So far that means:

EMD
Mighty Spark
Bolts of Balthaak
Horizontal Grapple

Chain of Rebuttal(close enough)
Arrow Kick(close enough)

Bolded are the most interesting/useful

Also, I don't know why, but Trish is one of the only characters in the game to get a heavy version of a special as an assist(low voltage).

Anyway, I think Charging Star is the most criminally underused assist in the game. Only hits 3 times, nullifies low/medium projectiles, has a gigantic hitbox and has soft knockdown. I mean it only has a third the active frames of akuma, but it's much faster so that doesn't matter as much.

Degen

FFF+Mandarin is so insane. The best thing is that you can give your third card the yellow star and it's still amazing. Rocking Soki at the moment, but Grandmaster, Silver Samurai and Ryu work pretty well too. Still need about 20% of the cards, too...

I'll add myself to PSN Heralds once I'm at home

Burning Water

Neo Member
So, with all this crossover counter tech showing up, you think we'll see it in actual use? I remember that one video on YouTube that showed invincible crossover counters into hypers, but I've yet to see it used online or very much in tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom