• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, why wouldn't it?

I figured it wouldn't work since Arthur can't dash to begin with. I guess it works if people are doing it though. :lol

Trying to think of a proper primary to go with X and Multiple Man. FFF is tempting, but that takes away Gold Armor. I need to re-evaluate how I play Arthur, I suppose.

EDIT: I just remembered Fou-Lu. I guess I'm going to have to grind Heralds mode offline to get a copy since I haven't seen a single one in Heroes offline.

What characters can combo from XF burst? Any?

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I've been trying to find a Multiple Man build for Arthur. Can't think of a thing, though. Curse his mobility!
I would consider a few concepts for Arthur:
Cancel Specials into Specials - opens up some nasty abilities
Extend utility hyper time - lets you stay Gold for a loooong time
HC gain cards (particularly pushblock = HC gauge) - For The Princess is brutal - use it a lot!
Autoblock - especially combined with Pushblock = HC gauge
Fou-Lu - XFC into For the Princess is good.
Taunt cards - Arthur has a really quick taunt

I would probably run:
Fou-Lu (Main)
Multiple Man
Thanos

This gives you 3 XFCs, and Thanos guarantees you always have meter to use For the Princess.

Edit:
I would steer away from air dashing. It's not like you're going to become a rushdown machine with it. You won't be Magneto. The goal of a Multiple Man deck should be to uncover the single most powerful thing about your character, and expand upon it.

A few other MM decks:
Dr. Strange:
Lilith (Main)
Multiple Man
Kingpin

Kingpin boosts Spell of Vishanti's damage way up (450K). Multiple Man lets you start with 2 bars of meter minimum. Lilith steals your unscaled damage done per hyper in meter, which works out to about 90% of a bar for every Spell of Vishanti. If you get an assist call, though, you'll steal 3-4 bars of meter. Dr. Strange's Seven Rings steals just over a bar. The reason you go for HC stealing instead of something like Mephisto is that it allows Dr. Strange the opportunity to overcome FFF decks and other things based on having HC stored. This same deck works well for Hawkeye.

Wesker:
Kaijin No Soki (Main)
Multiple Man
Fou-lu

Wesker primarily stays on the ground, and with super armor + level 3 attack boost in one card, there's no reason to leave it. He can do full combos without doing an air series. Fou-Lu for a second X-Factor for easy kills.

Dahbomb

Rushdown Arthur... stay godlike H&H mode.

Cancel special into special is a huge meter drain card. It's not recommended on someone like Arthur. It's literally half a bar for one special cancel.

Just airdashed with Arthur, and shit is hilarious. :lol
I would probably run:
Fou-Lu (Main)
Multiple Man
Thanos

This gives you 3 XFCs, and Thanos guarantees you always have meter to use For the Princess.
Sounds good. The only one I'm missing is Fou-Lu, and I'm playing offline for it right now.

smurfx

get some go again
god damn spencers bionic arm hyper has retarded range. like it can miss you by a mile and still hit you. nerf combofiend!

Dahbomb

god damn spencers bionic arm hyper has retarded range. like it can miss you by a mile and still hit you. nerf combofiend!
I swear it's like day 1 vanilla MVC3 all over again here.

Bionic Arm is hella unsafe. If he caught you pressing a button (which you have no one to blame but yourself)... X factor and punish it and kill him. He will be forced to burn X factor too if he doesn't have anymore gauge or die.

Also Taskmaster's Counter > Bionic Arm. And most invincible hypers beat out Bionic Arm on reaction to it. He also can't Bionic Arm through full screen Arrows.

smurfx

get some go again
I swear it's like day 1 vanilla MVC3 all over again here.

Bionic Arm is hella unsafe. If he caught you pressing a button (which you have no one to blame but yourself)... X factor and punish it and kill him. He will be forced to burn X factor too if he doesn't have anymore gauge or die.

Also Taskmaster's Counter > Bionic Arm. And most invincible hypers beat out Bionic Arm on reaction to it. He also can't Bionic Arm through full screen Arrows.
i jumped completely out of the way because i know crappy spencers spam it out when they feel cornered. i've done this a bunch of times before you know. i just don't ever remember being hit with such a huge gap between me and spencer.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
1000 H&H points acquired. One match on the Heroes side next week and I'll have all the titles.

Going to grind for the remaining 9% of the cards in the meantime.

I'm having trouble thinking of card combinations for Morrigan especially. Feel free to share advice.
I was trying to come up with a way to get Soul Drain to combo into itself perpetually, or at least for several reps. With Astral Vision up the meter gained from pelting the opponent with it repeatedly would theoretically outweigh the meter cost of performing the technique. Haven't found a successful way to do it though, as the "cancel specials into specials" cards seem to prohibit you from canceling the same strength special into itself.

EDIT: That card that lengthens the time of power-up hypers might be good for her.

Dahbomb

Well I can safely say that Iron Man is the worst main Avenger in the game. I think Hawkeye, Captain America and Thor are all better than him at this point. Hawkeye is EASILY the best avenger, he's top 10 in the game.

Anyone wants to take me up on that statement?

smurfx

get some go again
man double lariat assist is still really good. i've been able to do some things with it i thought i wouldn't thanks to the nerf but i've been able to all the time. i'll keep quiet about it for haggars sake but i'm going to be investigating a lot online now.

Rynge

Neo Member
dr wiley main with 5 bars
fing fang foom secondary
mandarin

= wesker doing 1.3 million with magic series, cobra strike, gun otg, m, h, wall bounce, launch magic series, gun, vergil assist lulz

Well I can safely say that Iron Man is the worst main Avenger in the game. I think Hawkeye, Captain America and Thor are all better than him at this point. Hawkeye is EASILY the best avenger, he's top 10 in the game.

What does Thor have over Iron Man?

*Higher health
*Resets(?)
*Easier high damage combos outside level 3
*???

Iron Man has assists, can self OTG, has decent health, high damage ceiling, extended air combos(good after TAC), decent normals outside of his bad launcher, a level 3 with invulnerability frames which keeps opponents wary, a hyper that controls the horizontal space(extremely important)/diagonal forward space and probably some other things that I'm too tired to list.

They are both just awkward to play and Iron Man did get slowed down while Thor actually seems a little speedier and more combo friendly.

Edit: I was facepalming pretty fucking hard yesterday. People on SRK actually had the gall to put She Hulk and Iron Man in D tier with Hsien-Ko. Fuckers are spoiled as hell these days...
That is not manly. That is just insane. :()

Dahbomb

dr wiley main with 5 bars
fing fang foom secondary
mandarin
So basically exactly what everyone else is running online. Can't wait until people start running into the meter sucking/meter swapping decks that other people have been cooking up which also have Parry on them.

Iron Man has assists, can self OTG, has decent health, high damage ceiling, extended air combos(good after TAC), decent normals outside of his bad launcher, a level 3 with invulnerability frames which keeps opponents wary, a hyper that controls the horizontal space(extremely important)/diagonal forward space and probably some other things that I'm too tired to list.
Again... all this sounds good on paper until you have actually played Iron Man. Thor actually has a better tri-dash than IM and his Mighty Strike charged up allows him to get in against zoners much easier than IM. Thor has easier hit confirms than IM. If you are using IM for his assists it means that you are putting him on 2nd or 3rd. 2nd spot means he doesn't have a safe DHC option and 3rd means you have a gimped anchor. Thor is almost exclusively played higher up, usually at 2nd where he has a solid assist and CC option which is better than IM's (IM's CC option is only available on Repulsor Blast which isn't even that good and the assist itself is situation on teams... the Unibeam is more common). Thor has air hypers meaning he actually gets way more mileage out of air X factor than IM. He also has an invincible LVL1 hyper he can just dish out if things get rough. He can actually deal with stuff directly below him. Thor can also XFC command throw into character deaths, also available while in the air meaning whenever Thor is chicken blocking... you are in danger of losing a character. IM just simply does not have that threat on him meaning it's always obvious to rush his sorry ass down or keep him away while you make fun of his gimped air dashes.

IM only edges out Thor on having a better assist (which is a beam that causes the heaviest scaling out of all the beam assists) and higher ranged normals which are gimped because he has no forward moving move or high range launcher to easily capitalize off of hits from his high ranged normals. You have to learn a very specific combo and hit confirm to make sure that you always combo off of IM's j.H, cr.M and st.H which are his best normals. Other characters have slides, moves that move them forward, moves that pull in opponents or normals that increase in range as you go up the magic series (so a lot of characters have launchers that have better range than their other normals). Not even Hsien Ko has to deal with a problem like this. This problem is only compounded by the fact that IM has a gimped ground dash and a gimped tri-dash meaning he always has trouble being within range to utilize his tools (great normals, great damage/combos, great footsies etc.). It takes a reasonable level of execution and mindset to make IM playable at a high enough level. It's sad to see so many good tools wasted... Iron Man's cr.M owns Wesker's cr.M for free.

Edit: I was facepalming pretty fucking hard yesterday. People on SRK actually had the gall to put She Hulk and Iron Man in D tier with Hsien-Ko. Fuckers are spoiled as hell these days..
I think Iron Man is better than She Hulk although it isn't by a lot. Both are considerably better than Hsien Ko. If the tier list is SABCD then IM/She Hulk are B to C while Hsien Ko is firmly in D tier.

Rynge

Neo Member
So basically exactly what everyone else is running online. Can't wait until people start running into the meter sucking/meter swapping decks that other people have been cooking up which also have Parry on them.

that's not my main deck. it was just fun seeing how much damage it did.

Dahbomb

I think a deck with LVL3 Attack boost, Dr Wily on 5 bars and Anti-Venom (increases damage progressively as time passes) would have the most damage in the game. You can't stack attack boost levels past a certain point but Dr Wily and Anti-Venom stack over the max damage level possible. Of course this is not viable because you will not have 5 bars at the start of the game nor will you have max damage from Anti-Venom at the start. This is purely theoretical damage calculation.

Frantic

I created a deck of Dr. Wily/Kingpin/Kingpin and used XF3 with Spencer. A single, raw hit Bionic Lancer does 1.1 million damage if you started with 5 bars. I'd love to run that deck against someone and just end the game with a raw Bionic Lancer against a character that's full health and have them just die.

Burning Water

Neo Member
Again... all this sounds good on paper until you have actually played Iron Man. Thor actually has a better tri-dash than IM and his Mighty Strike charged up allows him to get in against zoners much easier than IM. Thor has easier hit confirms than IM. If you are using IM for his assists it means that you are putting him on 2nd or 3rd. 2nd spot means he doesn't have a safe DHC option and 3rd means you have a gimped anchor. Thor is almost exclusively played higher up, usually at 2nd where he has a solid assist and CC option which is better than IM's (IM's CC option is only available on Repulsor Blast which isn't even that good and the assist itself is situation on teams... the Unibeam is more common). Thor has air hypers meaning he actually gets way more mileage out of air X factor than IM. He also has an invincible LVL1 hyper he can just dish out if things get rough. He can actually deal with stuff directly below him. Thor can also XFC command throw into character deaths, also available while in the air meaning whenever Thor is chicken blocking... you are in danger of losing a character. IM just simply does not have that threat on him meaning it's always obvious to rush his sorry ass down or keep him away while you make fun of his gimped air dashes.

IM only edges out Thor on having a better assist (which is a beam that causes the heaviest scaling out of all the beam assists) and higher ranged normals which are gimped because he has no forward moving move or high range launcher to easily capitalize off of hits from his high ranged normals. You have to learn a very specific combo and hit confirm to make sure that you always combo off of IM's j.H, cr.M and st.H which are his best normals. Other characters have slides, moves that move them forward, moves that pull in opponents or normals that increase in range as you go up the magic series (so a lot of characters have launchers that have better range than their other normals). Not even Hsien Ko has to deal with a problem like this. This problem is only compounded by the fact that IM has a gimped ground dash and a gimped tri-dash meaning he always has trouble being within range to utilize his tools (great normals, great damage/combos, great footsies etc.). It takes a reasonable level of execution and mindset to make IM playable at a high enough level. It's sad to see so many good tools wasted... Iron Man's cr.M owns Wesker's cr.M for free.

I feel like Ultimate Iron Man is supposed to be some middlegorund character that has a bunch of tools. I still haven't been able to grasp how Capcom wants us to utilize him in play, but I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit and have their own agenda. As of now, my only success with him has been to keep people midscreen to 3/4 screen away, jump, call horizontal assist, fly, Smart Bombs, dash up to super jump height, dash down with D or S for overhead, and combo. All that shit in whatever order makes sense. Problem is, his flight mobility is straight up cheeks, and after a while this playstyle starts to get lame. The last thing I want is for Stark to be lame. That being said, I agree. Iron Man, swag and all, is the worst Avenger :weeps:

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's by how much red health he has. The more he's damaged, the stronger certain attacks become, and they "eat" the red health entirely.

Chunner's punk glow is only so you know when the bird kick is charged.

Ah sorry didn't see that post. :p

Thanks. So only Pulse and Blaster are affected eh, not the others?

Dahbomb

That's pretty much exactly how you are supposed to be playing him.

You want the opponent at a distance where you can harass them with Smart Bombs (they do decent damage and meter build), Unibeam, Missile and your ranged normals. You basically do a bunch of TK Unibeams, air Smart Bombs, fly around, dash around. If they are within striking distance you can attempt an air dash down d+H in the air or box dash j.S. On the ground you can poke with cr.M and st.H can be used as an anti-air into Repulsor Blast -> Spread.

All of this is merely harassment for the opponent... it's very hard to convert any of these random hits into a full combo. If you commit to a rushdown style all they have to do is throw a bunch of stuff out or stick a button out and your rushdown is failed. In the neutral game if IM starts on point this harassment play sort of works because most people are trying to get in and they will usually come at a distance where you can safely combo and gain a lead... and then go back into a harassment style. This doesn't work when you are down on life, Iron Man can't turn the tide of battle that easily without a lot of good execution, reads and tight play.

If they wanted Iron Man to be better at this style of play... Smart Bombs should've had different trajectories to cover various spaces effectively. Once someone gets underneath IM, he is pretty much screwed because it's so easy to anti air IM into a combo. The space that needs to be covered if you are bound to play a lame game is the diagonal down space which is something characters like Zero, Taskmaster, Doom, Wesker or Dante excel at covering. He has Smart Bombs to cover this space which are ass at doing this job... hence it's easy to rush him down. Characters with fast projectiles own Iron Man's soul.

It's hilarious trying to compare Doom to IM because Doom outclasses IM in every way possible. Better zoning, better anti-ground control (FOOT DIVE!), better rush down, faster mobility, better assist selection, more health, easy mode hit confirms, safer launcher, similar damage output, easy conversions off of air throw, safe hypers, more damaging LVL3, easy mode OTGs, better mix ups. The ONLY thing that IM has better than Doom are better range on normals... oh wait a minute FOOT DIVE!!!!

bs000

I could've sworn that you were able to TAC both characters during a happy birthday, but I've been trying it and the second character just keeps falling out. Did I dream it?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone know how to get the Captain Commando and Serpent cards? Those are the only two S-rank cards I'm missing.

LordAlu

Ugh. Play.com have just sent me an e-mail saying my copy of the UMvC3 bible has been cancelled as they won't be getting any in stock etc. That's now both Amazon and Play that have cancelled my orders.

What really irks me is when I ordered it it was £9. If I go to Play's website and search for it, it's up there at nearly £15 and is listed as in stock. Bastards.

Anyone have any suggestions where I can get this seemingly mythical book in the UK? Not for £15 either :p

smurfx

get some go again
Ugh. Play.com have just sent me an e-mail saying my copy of the UMvC3 bible has been cancelled as they won't be getting any in stock etc. That's now both Amazon and Play that have cancelled my orders.

What really irks me is when I ordered it it was £9. If I go to Play's website and search for it, it's up there at nearly £15 and is listed as in stock. Bastards.

Anyone have any suggestions where I can get this seemingly mythical book in the UK? Not for £15 either :p
well if it makes you feel any better i've only read about 2 pages of my guide and i doubt i will read much more.

Dahbomb

Has anyone here actually gotten ALL the cards in H&H? Or anyone you know of?

Also are there any notable UMVC3 tournaments/events coming up in the next month or so between now and Winter Brawl?

Grecco

Also are there any notable UMVC3 tournaments/events coming up in the next month or so between now and Winter Brawl?

I think Yipes might do another one of his tournaments in Janary.

Is Viscant REALLY using Zero now?

Probably reverse engineering the character and getting practice on it so he can develop tech against him. I think he probably knows that his best shot is playing Hawkeye against Zero.

I think Viscant might be playing Zero yes.

Wheres Hulk in the Avengers tiers?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I created a deck of Dr. Wily/Kingpin/Kingpin and used XF3 with Spencer. A single, raw hit Bionic Lancer does 1.1 million damage if you started with 5 bars. I'd love to run that deck against someone and just end the game with a raw Bionic Lancer against a character that's full health and have them just die.

How much of a boost is Dr. Wily? The Hyper damage increase is massive with Kingpin or Princess. It just seems like it'd be a chore to get 5 meters for Dr. Wily when you have stacked Kingpin. I've been messing around with Cyclops/Kingpin/Kingpin.

Dahbomb

Hulk is below Hawkeye and above Iron Man. If it weren't for the stupid Command throw M nerf I would say he was the 2nd best Avenger but now he's in the same range as the Cap and Thor.

Hulk is still extremely dangerous and is the character with the most armor in the game. He can bait you into pressing a button about 4 times in a series and still capitalize off of it. He has damage, he has priority and he demands respect. Give him an assist to help him get in and one that allows him to OTG off of throws (he can still combo regularly off of H command throw) making him a TOD monster off of every button and most non-ground throws. Air X factor means he can do Gamma Crush X Factor Gamma wave Gamma Crush off of corner happy birthdays. At mid screen Gamma Charge happy birthdays he can just do regular X factor dash cancel jump j.S into whatever. The new f+M move is very nice because it allows for easier hit confirms and better damage overall plus the charge move leads into some decent kara/mind game stuff.

As long as this game is played by humans... it means that throughout the entire match someone is going to press a button at the wrong time and Hulk is going to be there smashing their face in. Hulk also has CC technology and he has one of the games very few true GTFO assist even if it's one armor it's damn useful.

While I haven't explored it yet... I am thinking the new auto tech recovery after a second Gamma H~H might lead into new reset/mix up situations for Hulk.

Frantic

How much of a boost is Dr. Wily? The Hyper damage increase is massive with Kingpin or Princess. It just seems like it'd be a chore to get 5 meters for Dr. Wily when you have stacked Kingpin. I've been messing around with Cyclops/Kingpin/Kingpin.
I'm not really sure how much of a boost Wily gives, but it's definitely higher than Cyclops' boost at least with 4/3 meters remaining. However, Wily with 2 meters is about the same as Cyclops' boost, so if you want guaranteed damage, just go with Cyclops.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

There's Apex on Jan. 6. Though I'm not sure how many players will show up since Apex has always been a Smash tournament. Though they were promoting it during SCR so who knows.

Dahbomb

C Viper is a high maintenance bitch. He can't afford to slack off with her. Remember... he said he's using Viper on point for life. I respect that.

Flash is the one who needs to stick with MODOK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom