• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit. I remember Seth Killian talking about tech he had with PW. Crossover counter into his level 3. That required Turnabout mode and 4 bars for a 600k punish.

This is 2 bars for 1 million damage...

3 bars... and this isn't new. THIS IS LITERALLY THE WHOLE POINT OF CROSSOVER COUNTERS. I explained it before when I was talking about why I like putting C.Viper in 2nd instead of third, because she has the best crossover counter(she can build all the meter back with a combo and cancel a missed counter for free)

So, with all this crossover counter tech showing up, you think we'll see it in actual use? I remember that one video on YouTube that showed invincible crossover counters into hypers, but I've yet to see it used online or very much in tournaments.

Yes, because it's a guard cancel that doesn't take x-factor. It wasn't used much because teams were built around the DHC glitch and Phoenix.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Well 2 bars because you need 2 bars just to start it. It is 3 if you count how many was used but since it was built up in the middle of the combo I don't really count it.

Degen

Code:
MarvelGAF Heroes & Heralds - Week of December 25th

GAF Username    System  Gamertag         Faction  Location     Availability
--------------  ------  ---------------  -------  -----------  ------------
Sixfortyfive    360     Sixfortyfive     Heroes   USA/Alabama  after 7PM ET
Oldschoolgamer  360     OldschoolgamerZ  Heroes   USA/MD       after 7PM ET
rs4-            360     dokterrhouse     heroes   CAN/Tor      anytime
The Abominable 
Snowman         360     vagabond01       HERALDS  USA/Virginia After 8PM EST
Professor Beef  PS3     ProfessorBeef    Heroes   USA/CA       Anytime
shaowebb        360     Dynasty Penguin  Heroes   USA/WV    after 10pm till 1am-ish
Degen           PS3     Dragon17013      Heralds  USA/PA       after 10PM EST

added. let us fight an extremely broken war

I finally did it. I got over 800,000 damage meterless with Wesker. I'll try to see if I can make a video. Builds a little under two bars.

Wesker/Captain America/Spencer

tumblr_lwl126UgMN1qjliv8o1_500.jpg

Ok so these are the teams in my three slots:

Wesker/Magneto/Spencer
Wesker/Magneto/Strider

I'll probably work on all three of them back and forth since there's only 5 characters. It'll give me some easy counter picks.

Degen

Just looked it up out of curiosity...

apparently Mandarin and Triple F teamed up and took over China or something

it all makes sense now

zlatko

Banned
Got Fou-Lu card at last. <3 <3 <3

You get access to three x factors if it's your main with no penalty. Better than that card which gives you infinite factor if you have 3 bars IMO, because you get access to your hypers with Fou-Lu and well... if you can't kill someone with 3 x factors at your use, then you kinda suck.

BiggNife

Quick question: Are the daily cards in H&H the same for everyone?

Because I just started today and got Scarlet Witch, which has been working pretty well for me. Wallbounce after activating X-Factor guarantees a hyper combo.

Ok here's my combo, I think I left my video camera back at my apartment so I'll record it later:

Wesker(low shot)/Captain America(Charging Star)/Spencer(Slant Shot)

Teleport H, jS, 2H xx Cobra Strike xx Teleport L(if you crossed up with jS), Low Shot, 2H xx Low Shot, 2HS, jH, jS, A2, Low Shot, Ghost Butterfly, dash back, 2HS, jHS, A1, Low Shot, S, jS, Air Teleport H, Low Shot

~800,000 damage, builds just around 2 bars of meter

To set it up:
  • on incoming characters, do a jump loop/air throw/crossup, then combo them back into the corner
  • reset with slant shot, hit them with stand H once they're grounded but before the combo ends then cancel into Teleport H
  • if they block, the jS, 2H xx Cobra Strike xx Teleport L makes it safe, no need to hit confirm

Notes:
  • Doesn't work on lighter characters(can't get the 2nd 2H after low shot early on) without slight modifications
  • This combo can be modified for any standard Wesker team and to work universally
  • is itself a modification of the standard hard knockdown, wallbounce BNB everyone knows, so execution shouldn't be an issue
  • Wesker should never have to use bar once he's in glasses-off mode unless you can't afford one reset
  • Only combo I could find with higher meterless damage used 2D1C liberation assist in lieu of Charging Star and a couple extra Ghost Butterflies for good measure

Seriously?

I'm laming out the next one I come across, then. That's too funny.
I lost against a guy who just kept healing - very irritating.

Okay, turns out that this isn't true. Your extra "lives" do count toward your total when time expires.
Are you sure? I'll pay attention to it in the future, but I was relatively sure this was the case.

From my experience with H&H... certain cards are rarer/more common in particular "team". Some cards were more common playing as Heroes while others more common as Heralds. I have heard that there are certain cards that are more common online. I guess you probably need to play all 3 to obtain all cards.
Some cards can only be gotten on one side.

Example:
I had 7 Elektras, but no Ninas or Dazzlers. I talked to someone in chat who said he had 7 Ninas and Dazzlers. Played 5 matches as a Hero, got a Dazzler and a Nina.

Code:

GAF Username  System  Gamertag      Faction  Location     Availability
------------  ------  ------------  -------  -----------  ------------
Sixfortyfive  360     Sixfortyfive  Heroes   USA/Alabama  after 7PM ET
Karsticles     PS3    Karsticles     Heralds   USA/IL           Various

Added myself - lost track of the main one. If someone could throw me in there, 'twould be appreciated.

Oh, and Lady's "increase shot priority" ability is GOOD. IIRC, Rocket Raccoon's blaster shot only has 3 durability per blast. With this card, RR could beat out Dr. Doom's Plasma Beam H with one shot.

mr. puppy

Banned
Ok so these are the teams in my three slots:

Wesker/Magneto/Spencer
Wesker/Magneto/Strider

I'll probably work on all three of them back and forth since there's only 5 characters. It'll give me some easy counter picks.

how about you stop tier whoring and play marvel like a man?

bububu I've been playing Wesker since the gamespot tournament a month before vanilla even came out! And Magneto is my favorite playstyle! And Captain America is a family favorite that I've been using since week one in vanilla! And Strider was the first Ultimate character I played at EVO! And Spencer is straight tier whoring!

Oh, and Lady's "increase shot priority" ability is GOOD. IIRC, Rocket Raccoon's blaster shot only has 3 durability per blast. With this card, RR could beat out Dr. Doom's Plasma Beam H with one shot.

Whoa, so it takes them from low to medium?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Cleaning up the list:

Code:

GAF Username            System  Gamertag         Faction  Location     Availability
----------------------  ------  ---------------  -------  -----------  ------------
Sixfortyfive            360     Sixfortyfive     Heroes   USA/AL       after 7PM ET
Oldschoolgamer          360     OldschoolgamerZ  Heroes   USA/MD       after 7PM ET
rs4-                    360     dokterrhouse     Heroes   CAN/Tor      anytime
shaowebb                360     Dynasty Penguin  Heroes   USA/WV       10PM - 1AM ET
The Abominable Snowman  360     vagabond01       Heralds  USA/VA       after 8PM ET
Professor Beef          PS3     ProfessorBeef    Heroes   USA/CA       anytime
ihearthawthats          PS3     ihearthawthats   Heroes   CAN/ON       after 9PM ET
Degen                   PS3     Dragon17013      Heralds  USA/PA       after 10PM ET
Karsticles              PS3     Karsticles       Heralds  USA/IL       various
Remember, if you want to add your name to this, try to pick the faction with the fewer current number of participants on your console so that we can keep a roughly 50/50 split. I'll move people around if there's still an imbalance by Sunday.

Good question. You should probably test one of the weakest projectiles in the game against something like Hawkeye's Piercing Bolt (which is the strongest low-durability projectile) to see if it can be beat with the card.

Dahbomb

That Zero technology is old. What's also old is that with Sogenmu powered up his DP assist becomes stupid good as a GTFO assist. Meh... this is all vanilla stuff.

Vergil can do the same with his Rising Sun counter. Viper can, Jill can, Thor, X-23 can in Ultimate now and a bunch of other characters. A lot of assists become completely invincible when used as a counter. Thanks to air X factor a lot more characters can do it now.

Now people are just over hyping Zero...

Provide me a real argument with facts as to why I should take Neogaf's theory fighting about Wesker/Zero/Dark Phoenix being the best characters in the game, when - an admittedly small - sample of facts put those ideas into question? I'm not even saying I disagree with Zero/DP/Wesker being the best, because it's hard to consider i.e., Zero not being S tier when you consider the tools. I'm just saying dismissing facts entirely is what's truly dumb.
The criteria for their K/D ratio is incorrect. A character who inflicts 99% damage on a character but has to DHC out to finish the kill doesn't get the kill reward... the DHC'd character does. This inflates scores of characters like Storm who you DHC into when you see assist calls and she gets free kills this way by air X factoring. This does not define character worth or their placement in tiers. It's really the characters who are good at opening up, surviving the neutral game and inflicting heavy damage without spending much meter are the ones that are good. There is also no accountability for assists, Akuma is ranked low in their ratio but it doesn't account for the fact that a ton of IF/Wolverine kills were based off of hit confirms made by the Akuma assist into character kills.

Phoenix doesn't have a high kill/death ratio... she never did even in Vanilla. She is a meta game beast, matches are won with Dark Phoenix on a team (without Phoenix even having to set foot in the screen) simply because of the presence she imposes on the other player. You can snap her in, miss the mix up and then get wrecked by the team anyway because you aren't killing the point characters. And no one here was making the case that Dark Phoenix is top 3, she is pretty far away from that.

There is no accountability for these stats for the various factors in play of a MVC3 match. The criteria for their bases of placing characters is also quite frankly bogus. The sampling is also rather small to say anything. Iron Fist ranks as the best point character in this sampling because this tournament had Justin Wong one of the very few IF players in the US playing and winning with him. If you took the same survey nation wide and included other IF players and then take a K/D ratio it might have more weightage but even then... when the criteria is so messed up it's difficult to extrapolate anything useful from these stats. Hence these stats become trivia.

Tiers are rated by tools at least in UMVC3. It's about options/tools on a character that allow them to win a fight which are self evident once you open training mode. You don't need "facts" to prove that Zero's j.H is difficult to air throw and deal with... it's common sense if you have a good understanding of the game's fundamentals. It's also common sense that a character who is able to off an entire team off of one touch can never be considered lower than High tier. Once tools are extrapolated and put to the test, tiers are put in place and then discussed over. There is a whole thread on this at SRK where tiers are discussed based on tools. Tools are discovered or countered all the time... hence why tiers change. Some tools are rated higher than others and that's usually where a lot of debate comes in. Difficulty in utilizing tools is also brought up as are result statistics but they are usually at the lower end in consideration of tier lists.

Oh and THIS is amazing!

tumblr_lwl126UgMN1qjliv8o1_500.jpg

Saved for future tournament threads featuring Viscant.

This is literally 9-month old tech. There are a few other characters who can get full combos off of invincible counters. And like God's Beard said, it's the entire damn point of them.
Yeah, someone on SRK mentioned it too. I guess we'll see a lot more of that tech in the future. Pressing buttons in this game just keeps getting scarier and scarier.
I didn't realize there was a manly way to play fighting games.

Frantic

Wow... Lady's card allows Hsien-Ko's 1 point durability projectiles to beat Hawkeye's piercing bolt.

Still can't beat Arthur's Gold Lance, though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I've always wondered how to "power up" Nova's attacks. Is it factored by not using his Pulse or Blaster moves much?

Also is SBK the only thing affected by Chun-Li's pink glow?

I've always wondered how to "power up" Nova's attacks. Is it factored by not using his Pulse or Blaster moves much?

Also is SBK the only thing affected by Chun-Li's pink glow?

It's by how much red health he has. The more he's damaged, the stronger certain attacks become, and they "eat" the red health entirely.

Chunner's punk glow is only so you know when the bird kick is charged.

Frantic

Hmm. Test her gong (with the card) against stuff like gold lance and salty balls.
Gold Lance still goes through, salty balls just explode on contact.

Hmm... reflected projectiles seem to actually get a slight buff from this. Deadpool and Chris' guns get reflected back and actually hit them. Only once, but without the card nothing happens. Not quite sure what's going on there.

Gold Lance is 10 medium priority points.
That got me thinking... I tried Gold Lance against Hawkeye's Gimlet with the card equipped... doesn't work, unfortunately. :(

Dahbomb

Is Viscant REALLY using Zero now?

Probably reverse engineering the character and getting practice on it so he can develop tech against him. I think he probably knows that his best shot is playing Hawkeye against Zero.

OT: I love WaTXM comic. Funny and great read.

But CC were known to be strong for certain chars back in vanilla. Nobody listened to the theory fighters back then as well.

Dahbomb

A lot of characters that make use of CC that well aren't good characters in 2nd/3rd slot. Even then their assist that enables then to combo off CC is usually a terrible assist outside of CC. CC is fairly situational, having a superior assist helps you control the flow of the battle much better and increases your chances of winning greatly.

For example, I get way more utility out of Rapid Slash than Rising Sun on Vergil. Why would I play Zero on 2nd place when he's much more potent on 1st place? Ditto on Jill and X-23.

One can make the case for Viper and Thor. Thor especially is pretty good because the assist that does his CC is also his best overall assist and he's ok enough at 2nd spot. I don't like Viper on 2nd because she has no safe DHC.

There should be a list of characters who can make good use of it along with videos showcasing some more CC tech. Definitely an underutilized tool in the game but still largely a situational tool for most teams. There are situations where it can literally win you a match singlehandedly. Like getting rushed down by Akuma + Wolverine, CC into Thor X factor kill on happy birthday.

In other news... I tested the new air dash change. It's a slight buff to characters like Iron Man, Morrigan, Nova who's dash sort of lingers on after completion. It's not a major game changer but every little bit helps.

I think Iron Man becomes exceptionally stronger with Drones behind him. Team Combofiend is certainly legit in UMVC3. I would put IM on Repulsor Blast in this team.

I'm loving H&H mode, because when I use Multiple Man, it lets me practice all with one character. I'm going to make a Multiple Man deck for every single character in the game just for fun, to see what "ideal conditions" could be given to let a character be 100% the boss of the situation.

For example, I think this is Skrull's best combination:
Fin Fang Foom (Main)
Multiple Man
Akira

Quite simply, Meteor Smash on hit, XFC, dead character. Meteor Smash on block, XFC, Elastic Slam is a 1 frame tick throw. So, any time your get hit by or block Meteor Smash, you die. Infinite XFCs allow him to slaughter the entire enemy team. Skrull has infinites starting at XF2, so damage is not a problem.

I'm having trouble thinking of card combinations for Morrigan especially. Feel free to share advice. FFF is definitely not an option for her, since Astral Vision is crucial to making her presence felt without assists. The only obvious thing is that she needs to have a guaranteed meter supply to keep Astral Vision up, and when she gets a hit in, it needs to hurt.

Anyone else have great Multiple Man combinations? I like this idea for Hulk:
Claire Redfield (Main)
Multiple Man
Ms. Marvel

It doesn't update the priority, just the hit points, and it upgrades them a lot. I messed with a lot of combinations against Arthur, and I couldn't find anything that started competing with Gold Lance.

Remember, if you want to add your name to this, try to pick the faction with the fewer current number of participants on your console so that we can keep a roughly 50/50 split. I'll move people around if there's still an imbalance by Sunday.
Don't you put me with those dirty heroes!

Wow... Lady's card allows Hsien-Ko's 1 point durability projectiles to beat Hawkeye's piercing bolt.

Still can't beat Arthur's Gold Lance, though.
Yowza!

@Dahbomb:
Don't forget Sentinel! Just cancel into Hard Drive before you touch the ground.

what card gives you an air dash? or maybe give him that card with the extra jump!

Doesn't his lack of a dash prevent him from even utilizing that air-dash card? Since I haven't been able to think of anything for MM Arthur, I've just been dicking around with a Ghost Rider/Hawkeye/Arthur keepaway team with Kaijin Soki (Primary)/Mandarin/Cyclops. It's pretty fun, but boy does it fall to teams based around X-Factor.

Dahbomb

Don't forget Sentinel! Just cancel into Hard Drive before you touch the ground.
Was talking about characters who get a full combo without spending much more resources after the CC. A CC into Hard Drive is 2 meters expended although in UMVC3 if you get a happy birthday you can X factor and link a cr.M after for heavy damage.

Can't think of a thing, though. Curse his mobility!
Air dash cards brah. Probably invest in some meter cards or x factor cards as well. Use Godot against X factor + meter teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom