• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I love how Phoenix Wright players are so bad at this game that they haven't even noticed that he has the best low-hitting assist in the game even when he's not buffed. Keep looking at the ground for evidence instead of the game! Terrible investigators. But that's probably why he was such a popular pick from the casual community though. They thought that maybe they could just solve puzzles to win matches instead of having to become good at a fighting game.

I don't think anyone said Get 'em Missile wasn't a good assist. Here's the huge problem he faces now--he has NO mixup in TB mode whatsoever. Block high all day, cr.H finger doesn't hit low, so he has to do cr.L or cr.M which have NO range. This means he needs a good low hitting assist to set up an unblockable and really scare people, and since his other two assists are fucking terrible now, he pretty much needs to use his own low hitting assist. So now a character will be backed by two of the same type of assist...which is dumb. That's the main reason why PW never used that assist, but sure, I guess it's easier to say they were all horrible players instead. :\

Dahbomb

Against FFF + Mandarin whatever the fuck teams... abuse TACs. They should be guarding their left/right TACs meaning you should be going for the meter building TACs.

I don't think anyone said Get 'em Missile wasn't a good assist. Here's the huge problem he faces now--he has NO mixup in TB mode whatsoever. Block high all day, cr.H finger doesn't hit low, so he has to do cr.L or cr.M which have NO range. This means he needs a good low hitting assist to set up an unblockable and really scare people, and since his other two assists are fucking terrible now, he pretty much needs to use hist own low hitting assist. So now a character will be backed by two of the same type of assist...which is dumb. That's the main reason why PW never used that assist, but sure, I guess it's easier to say they were all horrible players instead. :\
I am not gonna go out and put PW players on blast like Karst... but one of the reasons why I never considered PW a major threat even with his invincible assist was that he never had mix ups to begin with nor did he have the mobility to enforce some sort of godly pressure. Even in Turnabout mode, you can lame him out by super jumping to the opposite corner of the screen. Yes you will take chip damage but all that effort they put into TB mode is wasted. This is also true in his regular form where he has to fish for Objection hits to get TB mode, which is what truly holds him back in the end.

Essentially PW even with the invincible assist was a higher risk/more effort character with even less reward than Dark Phoenix. I would only consider PW a threat in this game if TB mode was permanent and the conditions to unlock his TB mode weren't so difficult in a live match.

I played some PW using team of PW/Trish/Wesker. Trish Peekaboo against teleporters and some protection while Wesker Low Gun shot for the unblockable. I had ways to get the evidence and I basically collected evidence, safely tagged into Trish... played with her until I got them in a hard knockdown -> Round Harvest -> Tag to PW -> Unblockable set up. Then I played with PW using Wesker gun shot to get random hits in and spammed the Finger into deaths.

All that sounds great... except that this team has a ton of problems. No get off me assist, no assist to control space aside from Press the Witness (which I refused to use because it's gimmicky) and I instead opted for the Paper throw one and the only thing I had was Peakaboo. Team was free to rushdown and gathering evidence without having to burn meter was a pain in the ass. I usually get the meter but then I had to look for a safe tag. Then I had to keep Trish alive long enough for her to fish for a hard knockdown. So many ways this team gets blown up: PW gets killed before getting evidence, PW gets killed trying to set up a safe tag out, Trish gets killed trying to tag in, meter is wasted trying to get evidence or to make safe tags, Trish gets killed meaning no more unblockable set up, PW gets killed EVEN IN TB mode. Hey... at least the team has Dark Wesker on deck amirite?

No other character requires this much baby sitting.

Weird, I just noticed that EMD assist doesn't knock down. Huh. Guess it doesn't really matter, but it does mean I can't delay my hitconfirms like I was hoping to get better combos. I'm finding new Wesker/Magneto/Spencer technology by the minute here. Each character has setups that use each other's assists very strongly and they all DHC well. Right now I'm still working on my BnBs, usually I try to go for as high damage as possible, then eliminate as much as possible that's specific to certain characters or distance to the corner or whatever, then I add in assists to cap the ends for setups/resets and retest them. I got really mad when one of my combos seemingly only whiffed on Trish.

Unless something crazy happens, this should be my permanent tournament team. I'm slowly been moving towards this team over the past weeks with all my practice. Now I just need to focus more on Spencer, I should probably play him on point for a while.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am not gonna go out and put PW players on blast like Karst... but one of the reasons why I never considered PW a major threat even with his invincible assist was that he never had mix ups to begin with nor did he have the mobility to enforce some sort of godly pressure. Even in Turnabout mode, you can lame him out by super jumping to the opposite corner of the screen. Yes you will take chip damage but all that effort they put into TB mode is wasted. This is also true in his regular form where he has to fish for Objection hits to get TB mode, which is what truly holds him back in the end.

Essentially PW even with the invincible assist was a higher risk/more effort character with even less reward than Dark Phoenix. I would only consider PW a threat in this game if TB mode was permanent and the conditions to unlock his TB mode weren't so difficult in a live match.

I played some PW using team of PW/Trish/Wesker. Trish Peekaboo against teleporters and some protection while Wesker Low Gun shot for the unblockable. I had ways to get the evidence and I basically collected evidence, safely tagged into Trish... played with her until I got them in a hard knockdown -> Round Harvest -> Tag to PW -> Unblockable set up. Then I played with PW using Wesker gun shot to get random hits in and spammed the Finger into deaths.

All that sounds great... except that this team has a ton of problems. No get off me assist, no assist to control space aside from Press the Witness (which I refused to use because it's gimmicky) and I instead opted for the Paper throw one and the only thing I had was Peakaboo. Team was free to rushdown and gathering evidence without having to burn meter was a pain in the ass. I usually get the meter but then I had to look for a safe tag. Then I had to keep Trish alive long enough for her to fish for a hard knockdown. So many ways this team gets blown up: PW gets killed before getting evidence, PW gets killed trying to set up a safe tag out, Trish gets killed trying to tag in, meter is wasted trying to get evidence or to make safe tags, Trish gets killed meaning no more unblockable set up, PW gets killed EVEN IN TB mode. Hey... at least the team has Dark Wesker on deck amirite?

No other character requires this much baby sitting.

Oh yeah, I agree completely. PW isn't a good character, but I still want to stick with him. That's just one of the reasons I'm so frustrated with them taking away something that was actually good about him and hard to chive in the first place.

If they would just get rid of bad evidence, make TB a permanent mode(why the fuck not? As you said, it isn't even that scary, and people like Frank West become terrifying forever for less work), then it'd be a good start somewhere. He'd still struggle even then, but I think this would be good enough to work with. His cell phone evidence is the best thing he has, the only time he ever gets scary is when he has that + 2 other decent zoning things in x-factor, but the mode itself is already so short. If you get someone with his level 3 and it doesn't kill, you then start from square one and against most of the cast are about to TOD you.

PW in TB with a low hitting assist can be scary, but you also hit the good point here, that you also sacrifice an assist to cover him. Let's say I have PW/Dante/Wesker, Jam Session is good to cover the air, but Wesker won't be helping much for the first section here. If I do PW/Dante/Doom I have solid coverage but TB Wright isn't going to be able to do anything but spam projectiles. And NOW that Press the Witness and Paperwork are just stupid assists, I pretty much have to use Get 'em Missile, and now let's say I have the PW/Dante/Wesker team again, Dante will have 2 low hitting assists which is stupid.

Other system changes I'd make:

get rid of air tag minigame, air tags cost half a bar
BRING BACK REFLY, lower maximum flight height(MVC1 war machine son)
make aerial special limit character-specific
have characters automatically flip directions when they cross up
Delayed Team Hyper Cancels
Agreed

Especially on the cross up issue...
Just give me custom assists for MVC4 plz.
Fucking this
That works too.

The way I was thinking was when you select your character's assist, you essentially input the command that you want as an assist and it will showcase right there the assist that you inputted and you confirm it. It shouldn't take long at all.
This is how Skullgirls does it and the process takes less than five seconds. It is comparable to the amount of time someone might take to pick a color. This has nothing on gems which are looking convoluted as fuck to me.
Blocking after an air dash is back in? I guess that makes Morrigan's up-forward dash marginally useful again.
Yes, blocking after an airdash is there, not during the air dash though(?). They may have worded it strange. Can someone check what this means exactly?
I am not gonna go out and put PW players on blast like Karst...
When did he do this?

Dahbomb

Discovered an XFLVL3 loop with Vergil. Kills any character without meter spent. You can do this loop off of random Rapid Slash (which you can convert off of without spending meter in XF due to speed bonus) as well meaning self imposed right/left cross ups into TODs while as anchor.

Loop is whatever ground series, launcher, MH d+H, d/f+H, Trick H, sj. MH d+H and repeat.

This added to my Spiral Sword XF hit confirm into HSHSH gives me lots of potent ways to end characters swiftly with Vergil if he ever ends up in anchor slot.

When did he do this?
When he said PW players are crappy at playing fighting games and want to solve puzzles/evidence their way to a win. A little harsh I would say.

In other news, Big Marcus is back in Marvel and guess what character he has picked up with his classical Super Skrull. It starts with a F and ends with a -brand. He already did the unblockable set up in a match all the way through... twice. Commentators were having a heart attack from the salt.

Training mode set up exactly like versus with H&H cards is a stupid amount of hype. Please Capcom make everyones life easier and just have it as a mode already.

Kimosabae

Banned
Two system changes I really want to see - don't laugh - Fast Falls and Short Hops. Those two things alone could tighten the balancing so much by allowing devs to reduce the damage, since characters would have WAY more options to combo, and open you up.

Dahbomb

What are fast falls and short hops? I have never played Smash games so I am not familiar with the concepts.

Wouldn't fast falls just be air dash downs?

RS4-

What are fast falls and short hops? I have never played Smash games so I am not familiar with the concepts.

Short hop is something you'd see from KOF/CVS2 and to an extent SF3 series with UOH I suppose.

Fast fall I'm not sure; game could use more wakeup options like delayed getup though!

FSLink

Banned
PW in TB with a low hitting assist can be scary, but you also hit the good point here, that you also sacrifice an assist to cover him. Let's say I have PW/Dante/Wesker, Jam Session is good to cover the air, but Wesker won't be helping much for the first section here. If I do PW/Dante/Doom I have solid coverage but TB Wright isn't going to be able to do anything but spam projectiles. And NOW that Press the Witness and Paperwork are just stupid assists, I pretty much have to use Get 'em Missile, and now let's say I have the PW/Dante/Wesker team again, Dante will have 2 low hitting assists which is stupid.

Yeah, Wesker's only decent on that team for setting up for really easy combos into Objection if Wright could somehow manage a hit or grab...which isn't very often if fighting against a competent player and of course the unblockable setups.

I also tried Wright/Wesker/Hawkeye, which works okay since if Wright dies off right away, I still have Lv2 X-Factor Wesker and anchor Hawkeye with meter. Horizontal arrows also works okay with Maya Shield to gather evidence, though it's nowhere near as effective as Dante's Jam Session. Has big problems with teleporters too. With Break the Witness, this combo worked out all right when Wright managed to get into Turnabout mode since I could just play keepaway with Hawkeye, use BtW to get people off of me, and Dark Wesker as backup. It was still pretty gimmicky, and now with BtW and Paperwork losing the invincibility...blah.

Short hop is something you'd see from KOF/CVS2 and to an extent SF3 series with UOH I suppose.

Fast fall I'm not sure; game could use more wakeup options like delayed getup though!
You got it right on short hop. Fast fall is pretty much like Smash. You press down twice and your character falls at a faster speed(it is a subtle increase in smash). These things are not bad ideas, but I'd like it if Capcom learned how to treat the Western market feature wise before they start messing with the gameplay elements that they probably can't handle.
When he said PW players are crappy at playing fighting games and want to solve puzzles/evidence their way to a win. A little harsh I would say.
I remember this now. He sure has been outspoken as of late.

Kimosabae

Banned

Fast Falling allows you to hold down so your character speeds towards the ground after the apex of any jump, even after executing air normals. This allows you to manipulate the range, speed and placement of your normals, or put your character into position onto the ground quickly. Basically, it just gives you all around more control of your character. It isn't the same as ADD. It's a universal control application.

KOF has had Short Hops before Smash. It's essentially half the size of a normal jump. In those games, it tends to open up your ground game more because it allows you to execute air normals close to the ground. In tandem with Fast Fall (Smash) it speeds up the ground game. I.e. I wouldn't have to intentionally whiff Box Dash Air L over a character's head with Dante to open them up for a ground series. I can empty short jump -> FF in that same situation and it would be just as viable a mixup.

Who else would be good for the "normals chip" card? Ghost Rider is pretty obvious, but I'm not sure who else. Maybe Vergil?
Maybe Nemesis?

Now that I think about it, I think Nemesis would be fun with:
Super Armor
Cancelable specials.

Once you get in, just keep guessing command throws! Wheee!

Skrull is awesome with multiple X-Factors, since Meteor Smash is -21 on block, and Elastic Slam has 21 startup frames. I would definitely pair Skrull with FFF. Not sure what another good card would be...is there one that just makes you invisible during specials? lol...

Dahbomb

Vergil, Nemesis and Sentinel for sure. Huge ranged normals on those characters mean you will always be pressurizing them with damage. Zero, Dante and Iron Man would be other solid picks.

I don't have that card yet but does that card apply on Spiral Swords? I want it just for that. If it doesn't work then meh.

LakeEarth

The chip card is Cyclops. As far as I can tell, every move does chip.

I have tried Nemesis, and tentacles really do chip great. Players tend to notice and try to get into angles where tentacles aren't a threat. But with Sentinel, those spaces would be filled with drones. I like it.

Oh man, I just realized the FFF + Miles Edgeworth combo. Hahaha. Infinite X-Factor!

Also, I tested the Hunk card, and you get a full bar of meter for every parry you do. Including against projectiles.

MM's "shorten charge time length" makes it so you basically have to do little more than tap b, f to do charge moves.

Frantic

No it doesn't. Blistering Swords and Storm Swords do IIRC. I never tried to "chip" people with the swords anyway and if they do chip it's probably really low.
I just checked, and they do chip. It's only 5k per hit, and really easy to pushblock out of them. It's not surprising you never noticed, I guess.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just checked, and they do chip. It's only 5k per hit, and really easy to pushblock out of them. It's not surprising you never noticed, I guess.
Yeah it's very minor and almost inconsequential, but having them do no chip at all would've been hilarious hahahahahahaharipouroborous

Dahbomb

Yeah really negligible chip then. Well something is better than nothing and you learn something new every day (or in my case 3 things learned today on my most used character!).

Also you can keep wave dashing during advance guard and Spiral Swords to keep on them or push them towards corner. Sort of waste of meter but eh...

Does anyone know if the Multiple Man card makes the game consider you to be on your "last character"?

I wouldn't even consider it, but I discovered the hard way last night that if you use Multiple Man, and get a time out, only the character you currently have on the screen counts for the total health count. -_-

Variable jump heights are awesome, that's one reason I love Jojo's so much. Normal, double, super, short hops, super hops, air dashes, flight. Lots of creativity. I do think that in Marvel's case, if they add them it should be character specific. The less universal systems the better.

Dahbomb

It does because of the way you can't use assists, snap backs affect you like you are the last character and you have no access to TACs, cross over counters, THCs and DHCs.

But X factor is counted normally. Meaning you only have LVL3 if you are at your actual last character. I guess they realized it would've been broken with Wesker FFF + Multi Man + whatever.

Instant over heads with point character and Iron Fist assist (the dragon kick one) is so free LOL. I'm actually beginning to really enjoy Iron Fist. Thanks Justin Wong!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I wouldn't even consider it, but I discovered the hard way last night that if you use Multiple Man, and get a time out, only the character you currently have on the screen counts for the total health count. -_-
Seriously?

I'm laming out the next one I come across, then. That's too funny.

Dahbomb

Man if only Chun Li was easier to play. In UMVC3 she is actually a decent/playable character but the execution requirement is insanely high (one of the most difficult characters to play easily). Solid defensive tools, better pressure and mixups, combo off of throws, better damage, great assist.

In MVC3 you basically need a dumb way to open someone and a dumb way to kill them to even be considered play worthy. I swear according to many people... they think characters like Felicia and Doom went up like 2 tiers when I was telling they were good all along.

Rynge

Neo Member
lol...

so if you use FFF with Zero, the buster becomes useless. you can't combo off of it, whether its a random hit or in the middle of a combo, they flip out almost immediately after it hits.

i have no idea why this is like this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
lol...

so if you use FFF with Zero, the buster becomes useless. you can't combo off of it, whether its a random hit or in the middle of a combo, they flip out almost immediately after it hits.

Wait what? Obligatory: why?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lttp, but the end of that video is superb! :D
It was a nitpick but I thought Capcom could've ended the H&H trailer with a bit more accuracy but I wasn't even mad because of how stupid hype it was. So the desk vid's end put a smile on my face.

Dahbomb

lol...

What are your other cards?

Soft knockdown moves are bugged as fuck with particular cards. It's noticed on MMX card, Sabretooth card and a bunch of air dash and speed boost cards.

Rynge

Neo Member
What are your other cards?

Soft knockdown moves are bugged as fuck with particular cards. It's noticed on MMX card, Sabretooth card and a bunch of air dash and speed boost cards.

i had rogue and mandarin. i switched both out and it still happened. i switched out FFF and it stopped.

Rynge

Neo Member
it just blew my life when i finally got FFF (though i want that other one you were talking about dahbomb, fou lu) and the first match i use it in, my buster becomes a complete non-factor lol

smurfx

get some go again
lol i got blown up earlier by sixfortyfive on H&H. i had the iceman card and didn't once advance guard. -_- so much eaten chip damage too.

Dahbomb

From my experience with H&H... certain cards are rarer/more common in particular "team". Some cards were more common playing as Heroes while others more common as Heralds. I have heard that there are certain cards that are more common online. I guess you probably need to play all 3 to obtain all cards.

smurfx

get some go again
From my experience with H&H... certain cards are rarer/more common in particular "team". Some cards were more common playing as Heroes while others more common as Heralds. I have heard that there are certain cards that are more common online. I guess you probably need to play all 3 to obtain all cards.
sixfortyfive was the 2nd match i was able to find and i was looking for a while. i guess H&H applies the same formula as ranked and once you are 4th lord you will only be able to match up with similar people or better ranked. :( guess there isn't many 4th lords or better playing H&H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom