• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
kingslunk said:
Problem with junior policy is if someone lurks for years like myself they're screwed because they simply did not post enough.

Just do it my way and post silly things in hype threads like MahvelGAF, and you're golden. ;)

Then again, if you're not being an asshat or moron or both, you're good anyway.

Frank is not anchor material and I don't see that changing unless he has some amazing properties that have yet to be seen. Iron Fist is also most definitely NOT anchor material.

If you plan on using Hawkeye you probably want him somewhere in the first two slots. He has tons of good hypers, specials and assists. He'd probably be a great second slot character.

striKeVillain! said:
I think I'm going to run one of two teams:

Skrull/Strange/Wesker
or
Nova/Strange/Skrull

All I know is that I want Skrull to be a staple on my team. I love him in Vanilla.

Skrull's only getting better in Ultimate, and from what I saw in Ultimate Norcal, he's a very legitimate anchor now, even against Jean.

Also, I think Frank can be a solid anchor, but I think there's better choices. I agree with Fist, tho.

Dahbomb

Enzo you bum you still haven't updated with the Hsien Ko and Morrigan stuff!

I think Nemesis is a BAD idea at anchor. His assist that was hyped up isn't that godlike because the armor starts up late. He can however BODY people at point. He can frustrate people at long range with normals + missiles + assists and if someone gets in close they have to deal with the armor and command grabs.

Hawkeye is good at ANY slot. First position means he can fish for happy birthdays all day long with Gimlet. 2nd spot means he can provide assists and of course he can DHC into anything. 3rd spot he is great too for obvious reasons... having a hyper like that means he is going to squeeze out so many wins.

zlatko

Banned
SolarPowered said:
Frank is not anchor material and I don't see that changing unless he has some amazing properties that have yet to be seen. Iron Fist is also most definitely NOT anchor material.

If you plan on using Hawkeye you probably want him somewhere in the first two slots. He has tons of good hypers, specials and assists. He'd probably be a great second slot character.

Oh that's not the order I plan to play them. I was just listing the characters.

I've got to look into assists too. IF jesus kick, and Frank's truffle shuffle cart push are good stuff. Hawk Eye's I need to take a peek at to see what he has.

I feel like Zero would always be the on point character to start with, because with two assists behind him his mix up and meter gain potential is great. Iron Fist probably second, and Hawk Eye for anchor. Frank needs to be your focus I feel if he is on your team. Much like both P.Wright and Jean need you to build your plan around them. I'm not sure if I want to make a team around Frank. :(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Say, I have a real question for the theoryfighter folks:

In your opinion, what is the true definition of a good anchor character? Not just characters that can be forced to work with skill, but inherent attributes of the ideal anchor.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kaijima said:

In your opinion, what is the true definition of a good anchor character? Not just characters that can be forced to work with skill, but inherent attributes of the ideal anchor.
An anchor character, is a character that doesn't need teammates to shine.

rukland

Banana Kid said:
360 MASTER RACE CONFIRMED

Ugh I soooooo wish I could rebuy a 360, but thats one thing the wife won't budge on. We had one for quite awhile and the only person who used it was her she played Halo 3 every free moment she had. Hell she got quite good at it, one day she want to play and her account had been banned. She called Microsoft yelled, bitched, threatened violence and they refused to budge. She made me get rid of the system and says a new one is never coming back in the house.

So yeah TLDR version I can't have a 360 the wife hates Microsoft.

QisTopTier said:

This, pretty much.
Anchor characters need to be able to approach and open up the opponent, and deal solid damage, all on their own. If the character has terrible mobility and/or damage output, or need an assist to be really good, they're gonna be bad anchors.

Kai Dracon

QisTopTier said:

Okay... thank you. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something more subtle before I start making new teams in Ultimate.

Dahbomb

Kaijima said:

Oh we had a long discussion on this in the MVC3 CT a while back and we actually came to a good concession on it.

*Solo combos off of air throw = Absolutely vital for anchor play
*Solid and damagin combos you can hit confirm with easily
*Strong mobility
*Mix ups especially right left ones
*Spammable, fast or invincible full screen supers
*X factor boost
*Doesn't need assists to get game plan going
*Great user of meter
*High chip damage game
*Strong match ups against the majority of the cast
*Having a good assist or two is helpful

You need many of these to be a great anchor. If you look at these then you will realize why someone like Vergil/Firebrand/Nova/Spencer/Strange/Phoenix/Skrull/Doom are great anchors but someone like She Hulk/Iron Fist/Nemesis/Tron/Captain America/Hulk aren't as good.

Wesker is really the biggest outlier there is to the anchor theory. I am still a strong opponent of the idea but I can't argue the results. It's mostly because of his ABSURD X factor bonuses and some bull shit gun shenanigans. Wesker as anchor is toned down in UMVC3 essentially.

Azure J

Holy shit, Capcom Store just blew up everyone who said fuck 'em from urley Vanilla. :lol

Meanwhile, new avatar get thanks in kind to Becquerel. It's might be a bit small to resolve with the eyes, but I think it's low key enough while showing my allegiance to the hypest GAF, MahvelGAF. :D

Karsticles said:
Chip on normals at level 4/5 make him pretty beastly.

Not as beastly as his CvS roll, which pretty much will be the main reason for using him. And you will need assists to get the best out of it.

Kaijima said:

There are 2 ways to see it:

1) The characters that do the best when you are left with only him. Especially when your opponent has mauled you and you are down 1 character against 3.

2) The characters that have the best assists in the game, that can carry the first 2 characters and make sure you never (or at the least rarely) will be left playing your last character.

The best is to strike a balance between these 2, which is why Akuma is the top anchor in this game and Sentinel is the 2nd top. Either way no character without at least a good assist can be an anchor, because of how important assists are in this game.

I'm actually working on a Team Building Guide that answers just this question (and everything else you could want to know about building a good team).

The below is written with Vanilla in mind, and hasn't been proof read yet:
Ideal Third (Anchor) Characters…
• Possess few bad matchups; your third character must frequently fight alone, without the assistance of other characters. If your third has trouble dealing with a large portion of the cast, you will end up losing many matches specifically due to this shortcoming. While Haggar is a solid character, his lack of ranged and safe approach options means you will frequently be fighting an uphill battle against well-played keepaway teams. Meanwhile, Akuma has a variety of approach methods, he can punish almost anything in the game with Messtatsu Gouhadou, and his other two hypers both have invincibility frames. No character can safely call Akuma an easy win simply because of these two attributes.

• Make incredible use of level 3 X-Factor; at every level of play, sometimes you simply will be stomped. Your first two characters will be slaughtered utterly, and your only recourse is the almighty power of the level 3 X-Factor. Ideally, your thirdcharacter should possess such power that your opponent is afraid to do much of anything against him for fear of retribution. Dark Phoenix is a terrifying sight to behold, but level 3 X-Factored Dark Phoenix? Against a skilled player, your only recourse is to hope your opponent makes an error. On the other hand, a level 3 X-Factored Tron Bonne is basically the same Tron Bonne, but now packing a harder punch - one of these is far more difficult to handle for the massive duration of level 3 X-Factor.

• Have a great assist; not all assists are created equal. Dr. Doom, for example, has three awesome assists; it's just great to have your team backed by Dr. Doom's…anything! Regardless of your team's synergy with Dr. Doom in every other aspect, it's tempting to slap him into the third slot on any team just to be backed by the endless hails of Hidden Missiles (etc.). On the other hand, none of Spider-man's assists are particularly interesting at all, and it's difficult to justify placing him in this spot. Your second character will frequently be backed solely by your third character's assist - do you want him to be backed by Web Toss?

• Consider assists a luxury, not a necessity; Dante can create his own mix-ups with Devil Trigger, Air Trick guaranteed he is always half a second from getting in, possesses excellent range on his normal, and he has a solid tool for every situation. If Dante is your last character left, he can perform as a one-man team if you use all of his tools properly. A character like Zero, however, finds that all of his mix-ups are much easier to block, and many of his options simply aren't there without the backup of a solid assist.

• Makes excellent use of excess meter; Meter gained is always proportional to unscaled damage dealt, so if you lose a character, it's not uncommon for you to have a healthy stock of meter. If you lose two characters, it's not uncommon at all to find yourself with a full five bars of meter stocked up. A character like Haggar has no real use for a full five bars of meter in an endgame; none of his hypers are good at harassing an opponent, they don't have special use outside of finishing combos. On the other hand, Sentinel can combo for as long as he has meter to spend hypers on as long as his opponent is in the corner, and Hard Drive is guaranteed to take him there.

Dahbomb

Becquerel said:
Not sure if Cap is a bad anchor in Ultimate, to be frank. He looks really really good.
I didn't say bad anchor just not designed to be anchor. He still needs assist for cover and mix ups plus even then he doesn't have very strong mobility. You can definitely get away with playing him anchor in UMVC3 but in MVC3 it was laughable.

Yeah Karst list is the same as mine. Please add some of my extra points as well Karst. :)

I think it was Karst and I who were discussing this in the CT along with SolarPowered and maybe Tobe? There was a big debate over Trish and her status as anchor.

Dahbomb said:
I didn't say bad anchor just not designed to be anchor. He still needs assist for cover and mix ups plus even then he doesn't have very strong mobility. You can definitely get away with playing him anchor in UMVC3 but in MVC3 it was laughable.

Yeah Karst list is the same as mine. Please add some of my extra points as well Karst. :)

I think it was Karst and I who were discussing this in the CT along with SolarPowered and maybe Tobe? There was a big debate over Trish and her status as anchor.

Yea, well, Cap in vanilla generally was laughable, lol.
Shulk, Fist, Hulk and Tron all are bad to mediocre anchors, Nemesis I'm not sure on - his super armor stuff might benefit him pretty well, actually. Cap definitely isn't a GOOD anchor, but he can be very solid in Ultimate.

Azure J

Dahbomb said:
Oh we had a long discussion on this in the MVC3 CT a while back and we actually came to a good concession on it.

*Strong mobility
*X factor boost
*Great user of meter
*High chip damage game

You need many of these to be a great anchor. If you look at these then you will realize why someone like Vergil/Firebrand/Nova/Spencer/Strange/Phoenix/Skrull/Doom are great anchors but someone like She Hulk/Iron Fist/Nemesis/Tron/Captain America/Hulk aren't as good.

Wesker is really the biggest outlier there is to the anchor theory. I am still a strong opponent of the idea but I can't argue the results. It's mostly because of his ABSURD X factor bonuses and some bull shit gun shenanigans. Wesker as anchor is toned down in UMVC3 essentially.

Hey, just a thought, do you still have that "ingredients/components of a good Marvel character" post around? It was like 7 different things you graded a few members of the cast in when it was brought up in the Community OT for Vanilla. I remember Mobility, Health & Mixups, but can't remember the other criteria.

Dahbomb

Felicia fits the bill of anchor very well actually and so does Shuma some what.

Hey, just a thought, do you still have that "ingredients/components of a good Marvel character" post around? It was like 7 different things you graded a few members of the cast in when it was brought up in the Community OT for Vanilla. I remember Mobility, Health & Mixups, but can't remember the other criteria.
That was SolarPowered's list.

My personal list is:

*Mobility
*Mix ups
*Match Ups
*Move priorities
*Strength/quality of tools including assists
*Overall damage output
*Air throw game
*General attributes (stuff like wave dash speed, health, hit box size)

I also have a different list for characters at Point and characters at 2nd slot. Might as well post that since someone is going to ask for that anyway.

Attributes for Point character:

*J.H/Air throw OS game (it doesn't matter if you can solo combo off of it as long as you can do it with assists like Wolverine can)
*Excellent builder of meter
*Strong reset game
*With the help of assists becomes much stronger
*Doesn't need meter to be strong/effective
*Either is able to get in exceptionally well/negate advance guard or is able to keep away exceptionally well
*Doesn't need to have good assists
*Doesn't need to have a safe hyper but needs hypers that are easy to DHC into
*Strong base damage output
*Doesn't need XF but good XFLVL1 boosts are very nice to have
*Helps to have super armor/high priority moves or high health

Attributes for 2nd Character:

*A good assist on deck
*Needs to have a safe hyper to DHC and hypers that are in general DHC friendly
*Can function with minimal assists yet becomes stronger with assists
*Can both build meter effectively and use it effectively
*Ideally needs to function differently than the point character so you can cover maximum match ups and team compositions
*Should be able to combo solo off of air throw
*Great utilizer of XF
*Has moves that allow you to change the pace of the game, allowing your point character to heal if needed or mount a strong offense if needed
*In most cases.... this is the best character on the team or the MVP (the Marn philosophy) or on a Phoenix team this is basically the main assist character or the 2nd gate keeper (who is like an anchor but can't use meter or XF)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Cap was'nt far from a good anchor in Vanilla, and in Ultimate he makes a great case for the position

What slowing him down is lack of safe block string options, and general speed.

Grecco

Kaijima said:

comeback potential. A character good enough to be able to take out 2 or 3 characters by himself. In MVC3 having the best Xfactor bonuses helps with this

I was there as well.

Great anchors: Dorm, Doom, Skrull, Dark Phoenix, Dante(once you master his speed boost which probably got toned down), level 5 Frank West(chip you to death), Felicia, Strider

BAD Anchors: Ghost Rider, Haggar, Hulk, Tron

So pretty much a char who does not need an assist to rip people apart as an anchor char. Especially if you have MUST kill member on point that makes people crap themselves. Why Logan/Akuma or Logan/Wesker teams are so dangerous. Do you waste XF to take out Logan early or save it to survive the anchor?

I think the only thing that isn't conceptually contained in my overview is that an anchor should be able to get a lot off of an air throw. In Ultimate, I *THINK* every character can at least connect a hyper off of an air throw, so the criteria should be moot - do you agree?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dahbomb said:
Felicia fits the bill of anchor very well actually and so does Shuma some what.
Well she fits it in the broken xfactor way. Shuma, idk best way to say it is. He becomes normal in xfactor 3

AzureJericho said:
"I decided I would give the tier list one more try using much more specific and concrete metrics. The attributes a mesh of what me and Dahbomb came up with for the most part.

Attributes: I will be measuring them on a scale of one to five from worst to best and I'll total up the points to see where everyone stands. I will most likely reorder them based on points to reflect tiers more accurately..."

Evaluations:
Mobility/Mix Ups/Damage Output/Moves Priority/Post throw game/Zoning tools/Execution Barrier/Assist options/Health

Captain America:2/3/3/4/1/2/4/3/4- 26 points
Akuma:3/3/4/4/5/4/4/5/2- 34 points
Deadpool:3/3/3/3/4/4/4/4/4- 32
Albert Wesker:5/4/5/4/4/4/5/3/5- 39 points
Doctor Doom:4/4/4/3/4/4/4/4/4- 35 points
Amaterasu:4/4/4/4/5/4/3/4/2- 34 points
Dormammu:3/3/4/4/4/4/3/3/4- 32 points
Arthur:1/1/2/2/2/4/4/4/2- 22 points
Hulk:2/2/5/4/3/3/5/3/5- 32 points

Chris Redfield:2/2/4/3/3/4/3/3/5- 29 points
Iron Man:4/3/3/3/3/3/3/4/4- 30 points
Chun-Li:3/3/3/3/3/2/4/3/3- 27 points
Magneto:5/5/5/4/5/5/3/4/2- 38 points
Crimson Viper:4/5/4/4/4/3/3/3/3- 33 points
M.O.D.O.K.:4/4/4/3/4/4/2/3/3- 31 points
Dante:4/5/4/5/4/5/3/4/3- 37 points
Phoenix:5/4/4/4/4/4/4/2/1- 32 points
Felicia:4/4/3/3/4/2/3/3/3- 29 points

Sentinel:3/2/5/4/4/3/5/4/2- 32 points
Hsien-Ko:2/3/3/4/2/3/3/3/3- 27 points
She-Hulk:3/3/4/3/4/2/3/3/5- 30 points
Jill Valentine:4/4/3/3/3/2/3/3/3- 28 points
Shuma-Gorath:3/4/3/2/4/3/3/4/4- 30 points
Mike Haggar:1/1/5/2/2/2/5/5/5- 28 points
Spider-Man:4/5/4/2/5/2/2/2/3- 29 points
Morrigan Aensland:3/3/3/3/3/4/4/3/3- 29 points
Storm:4/3/3/3/4/4/3/4/4- 32 points
Nathan Spencer:4/4/4/3/4/3/3/3/4- 32 points

Super-Skrull:3/3/4/4/4/3/4/4/4- 33 points
Ryu:3/3/4/3/4/4/4/3/4- 32 points
Taskmaster:4/2/4/4/5/5/5/3/5- 37 points
Trish:4/3/3/4/4/5/4/3/3- 33 points
Thor:3/2/4/3/3/3/2/3/5- 28 points
Tron Bonne:3/2/5/3/4/2/4/5/5- 33 points
Wolverine:5/5/5/5/5/1/5/3/3- 37 points
Viewtiful Joe:3/4/3/4/3/4/3/2/3- 29 points
X-23:4/4/4/3/3/1/4/3/2- 28 points
Zero:4/5/4/5/4/4/3/4/2- 35 points"

This is an old list made using some of the things that both me and Dahbomb considered important when judging a character. A couple of things here and there came out wrong, but I corrected them and other folks on GAF had some nitpicks of their own. I didn't grade hypers, but I think the whole thing came out pretty good and it is definitely a good step forward in how we try to organize tiers.

Dirtbag

Of the new cast members I think firebrand will make the best anchor.
X-factor / Speed boost / and his assistant level 3.. along with sick mobility and approaches.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dirtbag said:
Of the new cast members I think firebrand will make the best anchor.
X-factor / Speed boost / and his assistant level 3.. along with sick mobility and approaches.
It takes 4 meters but yes I been saying this since he was revealed. The problem is it's going to take a while for anyone picking him up to get the hang of him.

Anth0ny

Dahbomb said:

*Strong mobility
*X factor boost
*Great user of meter
*High chip damage game

So I shouldn't put Wesker anchor anymore. Gotcha.

Wesker/Wright/x? I think it's becoming pretty clear that the only way Wright is going to get into turnabout mode is through TAC, or at least with the help of an assist. Looks like I need a new anchor... hmm...

shaowebb

SolarPowered said:
... tier list ...
Attributes: I will be measuring them on a scale of one to five from worst to best and I'll total up the points to see where everyone stands...
Evaluations:
Mobility/Mix Ups/Damage Output/Moves Priority/Post throw game/Zoning tools/Execution Barrier/Assist options/Health

Damn...that is a NICE system for scoring people. I could likely do that on a survey and just let people survey whoever/whatever instead of ranking people and then run the medians again to show the tier ranges for folks more accurately based off of something like this.

I'll note this setup for later in case I actually get to set up a site for this stuff like I want to after graduation.

Great scoring method there Solar.

Kai Dracon

Thanks for the even more detailed replies everyone. I'm intrigued that Firebrand is considered possible top anchor material, as I was going to pick him up first among the new cast. Hmm...

Dahbomb

Karsticles said:
I think the only thing that isn't conceptually contained in my overview is that an anchor should be able to get a lot off of an air throw. In Ultimate, I *THINK* every character can at least connect a hyper off of an air throw, so the criteria should be moot - do you agree?
Well I still feel that getting a combo is still better than just a single hyper which is what everyone can do now anyway. Like if you have X factor on deck you can just air throw and kill them without even spending meter which is a huge boost. Some characters can do this way easier than others (like Vergil has an insanely superior air throw game to Dante who needs to be at a particular height and needs to do like a frame link into OTG Twister to just do a hyper off of air throw).

I'm intrigued that Firebrand is considered possible top anchor material, as I was going to pick him up first among the new cast.
There are some characters who are versatile enough to play all 3 slots. Firebrand is one of them although I still would rate him better as 2nd/anchor character than point.

QisTopTier said:
It takes 4 meters but yes I been saying this since he was revealed. The problem is it's going to take a while for anyone picking him up to get the hang of him.

Yo, Q, I uhm... found the uncensored version of your avatar... :D

Kaijima said:
Thanks for the even more detailed replies everyone. I'm intrigued that Firebrand is considered possible top anchor material, as I was going to pick him up first among the new cast. Hmm...

Firebrand looks like he's gonna be one of the best characters overall, wherever you put him.

Azure J

SolarPowered, thanks for that, I was actually looking for the metrics for something else I was doing, but seeing those values is an interesting look at what the meta-games were evolving into at the time.

QisTopTier said:
KEEP THAT SHIT AWAY I seen horrible enough stuff already xD

Ahaha. He's quite... well-endowed to say the least. :p

QisTopTier said:
What happened to your team avatar?

I switched it out. As mentioned, I'm a bit of an avatar whore. I dunno, it kinda felt stale to me haha.

I think it is kind of lacking. She Hulk would probably move up by another three points now. Also, Dahbomb mentioned how important damage, mobility and mixups are in Mahvel 3 and it rang true because most of the dominant characters in the game were strong(four and above) in at least 2/3 categories. Marvel characters also seemed to score higher than Capcom characters at a glance overall too.

Some stuff is out of whack, but thanks for the compliments. It is a nice way to score characters and I hope it does get picked up down the road even though it is rough and a little intimidating at first.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm asking you guys now.

Stream settings.

720p at 30-40fps

600p at 61fps

It's up to you guys. Bear in mind that whoever has watched my stream in the last week or so, I am using the latter settings. I do prefer the higher framerate to res as the window is much too small to actually take true advantage of the higher res.

Dahbomb

It's really scary how close that metric scale is to the actual tier. Chun Li, Arthur and Hsien Ko are bottom 3 on that list and are bottom 3 in actual tiers as well.

Although the factor of health really skewers the scales and tiers. Phoenix is lower than many characters because her rating on health is 1 but she is the best character in the game.

If you rate the new characters on that list... at least 8 of them are above 30 and at least 5 of them are above 35.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Becquerel said:
Ahaha. He's quite... well-endowed to say the least. :p
I now label you a firebrand dick rider for joining the firebrand bus this late. LOL Also for looking for an uncensored version of this pic LOL

Which is why you need to do a Phoenix and Dark Phoenix tier which Dark Phoenix would get 5 on mobility, mixup, damage, range.

Then combine the two. Should balance out.

QisTopTier said:
I now label you a firebrand dick rider for joining the firebrand bus this late. LOL

I've been on the Firebrand bus since his reveal. I've always thought he was gonna be one of the best new characters, I love the character and his origins, I always said I was going to pick him up (just not constantly)... And despite that, I definitely don't mind you calling me a Firebrand dick rider. *eyebrows*

He's probably the only new Capcom character I truly care about next to Frank, haha.

Kadey said:
I'm asking you guys now.

Stream settings.

720p at 30-40fps

600p at 61fps

It's up to you guys. Bear in mind that whoever has watched my stream in the last week or so, I am using the latter settings. I do prefer the higher framerate to res as the window is much too small to actually take true advantage of the higher res.
600p

I'll take Call of Duty FPS please and thank you.
Dahbomb said:
It's really scary how close that metric scale is to the actual tier. Chun Li, Arthur and Hsien Ko are bottom 3 on that list and are bottom 3 in actual tiers as well.

Although the factor of health really skewers the scales and tiers. Phoenix is lower than many characters because her rating on health is 1 but she is the best character in the game.
Yeah...

Hypers, assists, health and X-factor benefits can screw thing up a bit, but the system can be tweaked further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom