• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
OH
MY
FUCKING
GOD

1 HOUR 18 MINUTES OF CHRIS G VS COMBOFIEND!!!!!!!

MERRY MOTHERFUCKING MARVEL CHRISTMAS GAF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sQS7w0x4PAs

5 minutes in so far. Look for Gimlet+Spencer assist to combo into each other and pull Firebrand out of the air. GODLIKE.

Also: Hawkeye lv3 X-Factor mirror match is fucking hilarious.

@1:01:23

I don't understand why Chris G doesn't do this for all his Ryu combos. It works from anywhere on screen.

Also thanks for posting this.

Lothars

OH
MY
FUCKING
GOD

1 HOUR 18 MINUTES OF CHRIS G VS COMBOFIEND!!!!!!!

MERRY MOTHERFUCKING MARVEL CHRISTMAS GAF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sQS7w0x4PAs

5 minutes in so far. Look for Gimlet+Spencer assist to combo into each other and pull Firebrand out of the air. GODLIKE.

Also: Hawkeye lv3 X-Factor mirror match is fucking hilarious.
Thanks so much :D

I am so happy I get to watch this when I get home.
Me to, I can't wait to watch it. I have no doubt it will be great and I still have Barfights to finish.

Firebrand's a good character, but there was a lot more they could have done with him. Personally, I was hoping his unique system would be a series of self-buff hypers where he absorbs various crests. So, he would be like Frank or Phoenix Wright, where your goal is to "level" him up. The point of what follows isn't to create a "balanced" character, but just to show how mediocre Firebrand is compared to what he could have been. Each crest should provide some slight visual to indicate what he is gaining, as per the game.

Check this page for visual references:
http://8bithorse.blogspot.com/2010/02/demons-crest.html

The crests: Earth, Fire, Air, Water, Time, Heaven, Infinity

Unlike Demon's Crest, performing each "crest" hyper would ADD to Firebrand, and not fundamentally change him. These are all permanent buffs/changes. Each crest increases Dark Fire's damage.

Dark Fire (qcf.AA): Same as it is in the game, but becomes stronger with more crests. Say, 30K more damage per crest before scaling.

Earth Crest (qcb.AC): Gain the ability to fire a quick, ground-traveling fireball which replaces qcf.L and causes stagger; gain a Gamma-Charge-like attack; damage increase.

Air Crest (qcb.AB): Gain the ability to swoop up while in the air. Firebrand's aerial projectiles become notably larger, crest-shaped projectiles.

Water Crest (qcb.BC): No clue - maybe just a general 10% speed increase, or something. There's no water in this game for this move to really do anything.

Fire Crest (rdp.AC): Your fireballs gain more projectile durability and recover faster.

Time Crest (rdp.AB): Requires all 4 elemental crests. Firebrand takes half damage and increases his speed. Fireballs now all cause stagger.

Heaven Crest (rdp.BC): Requires all 5 other crests. Firebrand gains the ability to charge any of his projectiles, which gives them medium priority.

Let's also not forget that in Demon's Crest, it's shown that Firebrand knows how to use magic, and he can purchase the following spells:
* (Cost 10) Shadow – creates a barrier of darkness that surrounds you and protects you
* (Cost 20) Hold – holds enemies in place for a short time
* (Cost 25) Imp – summons an imp to help Firebrand fight, but slowly consumes his money
* (Cost 50) Shock – causes an earthquake that damages onscreen enemies
* (Cost 80) Death – causes heavy damage to all onscreen enemies (this spell is only available at the Wise Man shop in Area II)

Wouldn't it have been awesome if that were incorporated somehow?

Firebrand also had talismans he could equip:
* Crown – causes enemies and destructible objects to drop more money
* Skull – causes enemies and destructible objects to drop more health pickups
* Armor – reduces the amount of damage Firebrand takes
* Fang – increases the amount of damage that Firebrand’s projectiles cause
* Hand – this is actually a pretty interesting item from a design standpoint, because it actually allows one additional projectile to be on the screen at a time. So for instance, the Flame Gargoyle can normally shoot a single projectile all the way across the screen. If you miss your target, you have to wait for the projectile to leave the screen before you can fire another. But with this Talisman, you can have 2 on the screen at once. This not only gives you a second chance to hit an enemy, but also allows you to fire at a much higher rate of speed, which is effective regardless of the gargoyle form you have selected.

So, in short, there was a lot more they could have done with him beyond what happened. He could have been a much more interesting and fun character to use.

JeTmAn81

Thats it, I am gonna commit to Storm.

Glad to hear you're making her an honest woman.

BLAP018wrapCOV_col-480.jpg

sephi22

Okay, I'm 30 minutes in the Chris G vs Combo casuals, and I can safely say that Combofiend in going to dominate this version of the game. Viscant, Justin, Chris, y'all can just go home. I mean you guys seeing this shit? I daresay Nova is Combofiend's best character now, even better than Spencer.

I'd put Justin on par with Combofiend as the best Marvel players right now. Chris G is in the top 5 but I don't think his team is as good as Combo or Justin's, even though as a player he might be as good as them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Combofiend's teams make you feel embarassed about your team's synergy, no matter how good it may be.

Okay, I'm 30 minutes in the Chris G vs Combo casuals, and I can safely say that Combofiend in going to dominate this version of the game. Viscant, Justin, Chris, y'all can just go home. I mean you guys seeing this shit? I daresay Nova is Combofiend's best character now, even better than Spencer.

I'd put Justin on par with Combofiend as the best Marvel players right now. Chris G is in the top 5 but I don't think his team is as good as Combo or Justin's, even though as a player he might be as good as them.
Keep watching. Your opinion may change.

sephi22

Combofiend's teams make you feel embarassed about your team's synergy, no matter how good it may be.
This. This right here. I'm running a bum team (Haggar/Chris/Doom instead of Haggar/Hulk/Chris), and the synergy is pretty tight with Haggar getting ToDs off those two, DHCs, THCs, etc. but its nothing compared to Combo's team.

Keep watching. Your opinion may change.
Interesting.
Chris just switched to Wesker. Let's see.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Chris G was doing infinitely better when he switched characters. After that, he was on par with Combo.
Pretty much. It was pretty even as a whole, even though towards the end both players were dropping stuff more than often.

Chris G needs to drop Firebrand. By far weakest asset of his team. Not saying roll with Wesker necessarily, but Firebrand is definitely holding him back. This set and tournament drops using Firebrand solidify that.

Rynge

Neo Member
Pretty much. It was pretty even as a whole, even though towards the end both players were dropping stuff more than often.

Chris G needs to drop Firebrand. By far weakest asset of his team. Not saying roll with Wesker necessarily, but Firebrand is definitely holding him back. This set and tournament drops using Firebrand solidify that.

at big two yesterday i didn't see him play firebrand once. only wesker. and if he's not playing firebrand at a weekly, i doubt you'll see much of firebrand anymore.

hopefully he gets the character more solid and brings him back out. but i doubt it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
at big two yesterday i didn't see him play firebrand once. only wesker. and if he's not playing firebrand at a weekly, i doubt you'll see much of firebrand anymore.

hopefully he gets the character more solid and brings him back out. but i doubt it.
Missed Big Two yesterday, catching up on it now.

Also, I don't think Viscant is on Chris G/Combo/Justin level yet. He's still not adjusted to this game properly yet, and unless his Doom magically gets better or he stops being fraudulent, it's gonna stay that way.

Dahbomb, do you have video tutorials on how to play to start out on vergil all the way to playing a high level one? I know max did one, but his stuff more is for entertainment.

Dahbomb

Just finished watching the entire ChrisG vs Combofiend.

Simply epic as it should've been. So much tech and high level play on display.

ChrisG started off with his Firebrand team, got bodied and switched to his Wesker on point team. He was getting railed on earlier in the set but then started to download Combofiend. The percentage difference between the two was 70-30 in Combo's favor but ChrisG brought it down to 53-47. With his Wesker team... ChrisG was on top but all the matches were so close if these two ever met at a tournament it would be impossible to tell who would win. ChrisG has slightly upgraded his Firebrand though, he used the extended combo with him a few times and went for some instant overheads with the Tatsu assist. Still I don't think Firebrand is going to be a mainstay for serious tournament play for ChrisG.

ChrisG clearly has never played a Nova on Combofiend's level as he was getting opened the fuck up like he's hella pringles (and this is ChrisG we are talking about). He learned later on that it's better to block high and block the lows on reaction and then punish accordingly... which once he did he started killing Nova not before getting numerous TODs. Combofiend is getting close to perfecting the Nova + Spencer technology but he dropped the set ups numerous times. Still his execution with Nova was on point and he used his fundamentals of the She Hulk slide very well with Nova to get whiff punishes and confirm off of arrows at a long distance as well as cross unders and cross ups or overheads.

Combofiend has also finally worked in command throw game into his Spencer play and of course was killing people off of it. He made some epic comebacks with Spencer including a GODLIKE Grapple against a hovering Ryu post-Shinku. ChrisG's Ryu while missing a few combos definite was in nice touch and won him some matches including a very clutch comeback with him. So many smart uses of Hurricane Kick hyper and S SRK to beat out the Bionic Arm. Those flashy power up mode combos were also a treat. The highlight Wesker play was the Phantom Dance XFC raw Launcher in the middle of the screen which had my jaw drop to the floor.

ChrisG has the superior air throw ratio to Combofiend. Also watching this match, ChrisG made a ton of punishments with the throw meaning the throw glitch appears fixed in live matches or so it seems. Combofiend was getting ChrisG with a ton of frame traps and staggered block strings preventing jumps and other buttons.. superb play and opening up a player of ChrisG's caliber is no easy task. I would like ChrisG to steal some Hawkeye tech from Combofiend and vice versa. I want to see Combo use the loop more and I want to see ChrisG use the Explosive tip arrow more.

Nova does really well against Hawkeye due to the slide, it goes under his QCF+L arrows. Ditto for Wesker and his gun, ChrisG later adapted. One of the weaknesses on Combofiend's team which was apparent in this set was that he doesn't have a safe DHC option through Spencer. The Bionic Manuever hyper is "relatively safe" not completely safe so Combofiend has to either make a read or space himself before DHCing out. He did make some very smart usage of Nova's red health mechanic to amplify damage at the end of combos, usually scoring kills with an extra DHC attached. Great usage of Energy Javelin to pin down and do resets but Combo was also taking a ton of risks with Nova's unsafe moves and was getting tagged by ChrisG in the later parts of the set.

Man so much to talk about in the matches, such solid defensive play by ChrisG (towards the end more, at the start he was looking hella pringles) and relentless rushdown by Combo. These two need to have a hype money match streamed in front of a live audience for maximum hype. 2/3 or 3/5 isn't long enough for these to play at their best. It seems that Combo has the edge in a shorter set though just to the nature of his play (he doesn't give you time to think at all).
Dahbomb, do you have video tutorials on how to play to start out on vergil all the way to playing a high level one? I know max did one, but his stuff more is for entertainment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7i3Rdmuxso&feature=player_embedded

^^ Should be a decent place to start and check out his other Vergil videos for some decent tech. I am going to sleep right now but I would love to answer your Vergil related questions when I wake up.

ReiGun

Glad to hear you're making her an honest woman.

BLAP018wrapCOV_col-480.jpg
I love how T'Challa appears more interested in the possible Cap & Iron Man fight/make-out session than his own wedding.

Also, YOUTUBE APP, Y U NO LOAD CHRIS G AND COMBOFIEND?! I wanna see Hawkeye tech. :(

Bizazedo

These are the guys that sent Hulk into outer space right? And WW Hulk owned Black Bolt later?

A Skrull Black Bolt :)

Excellent Running Sets. Glad I was right in telling buds to treat Nova like MODOK. Always block high, try to react to any lows upon landing.

smurfx

get some go again

smurfx

get some go again
the scary thing about combofiend is that his team is very new. he has incredible team synergy and he is still learning 2 new characters. i can't wait till evo to see what his team is like then.

JeTmAn81

I think part of Combofiend's talent is that he does learn so quickly, so he tends to pull out ahead in the early days of a new game. But given time, others will begin to catch up.

Quentin Quire was so epic. Hi, I'm going to talk to this living island as he is about to eat me and convert him to our side.

Can't wait till next month's issue. Where Deathlok shows us future Broo, Quentin, Idie, Kid Gladiator.

Denton part was funny.

LOL.

smurfx

get some go again
I think part of Combofiend's talent is that he does learn so quickly, so he tends to pull out ahead in the early days of a new game. But given time, others will begin to catch up.
i'm talking about little tricks to maximize damage. like that one he started doing late into vanilla with she hulk hitting the character at the end to make them flip out after hitstun kicked in and then using her air hyper. i forgot exactly how it went but i remember it catching everybody by surprise when he started doing it at WNF. little things like those take time to learn.

Quentin Quire was so epic. Hi, I'm going to talk to this living island as he is about to eat me and convert him to our side.

Can't wait till next month's issue. Where Deathlok shows us future Broo, Quentin, Idie, Kid Gladiator.

Denton part was funny.

LOL.

Wrong Marvel thread, hommie

I like WATXM too

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just watched yesterday's Big Two. Damn Chris G had it rough the entire time, dude's been missing a LOT of shit recently. Stress is getting to dude, can't let it break him.

Otherwise, very entertaining, from the P's to Rush Hour to everything else.

Kimosabae

Banned
It's funny: my training partner has been playing Combo's team before Combo, when he played Nemesis. They both got their Nova/Spencer technologies from the FlyingVe tutorials. He flipped when he saw Combo playing "his" team at Bar Fights.

That team makes Nova look much stronger than he really is imo. This will be a popular team in the short term. If you have a lack of exp against it, you will get opened up left and right, and if you have a lack of Nova xp, high and low as well. Combo is the reason I predicted there will be another Nova surge. People will see this video and think this Nova's great, when he really just fits stupid well into this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom