• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizazedo

C Viper is a high maintenance bitch. He can't afford to slack off with her. Remember... he said he's using Viper on point for life. I respect that.

Flash is the one who needs to stick with MODOK.

I adore Flash' Modok. He just seems so much better at hit confirming and not doing the stupid things that gets the other MODOKS killed.

Dahbomb

I swear if some of the more prominent top players picked up one of the lesser used Avengers (and by that I mean anyone except Hawkeye) they would blow up in awareness. A lot of people are still stuck in vanilla mentality.

I swear if some of the more prominent top players picked up one of the lesser used Avengers (and by that I mean anyone except Hawkeye) they would blow up in awareness. A lot of people are still stuck in vanilla mentality.
Captain America sees his fair share of use as does Hulk, albeit not nearly as much as Clint.

We definitely need more Thor and Iron Man players though. Iron Man needs a lot of help though.

Dahbomb

I think Mike Ross can blow it up with either Hulk or Thor in a proper team and prep time + high level match experience + serious mind set. He has those read making capabilities that can allow him to get hits in situations where other people might not be able to with those characters.

Mike's Hulk/Thor aren't even 20% of what those characters are capable of in a proper team. If you watch someone like Sinister/Renegade play Hulk it's the craziest thing ever... you have no idea what to do against that. Try to zone? Hulk gets in with Gamma Charge + assists, then he breaks you. Try to rushdown? Hulk uses his armor, you get killed. Try to play defensively and hold up/back? Get grabbed or command throw, OTG Ankle Slice from X-23 into character kill. Try to pressurize with assists? HEY YO happy birthday with Gamma Charge into X factor j.S 2 characters dead in a blink of an eye. Press a button? That's exactly what Hulk wants you to do. The availability of an OTG assist makes sure that Hulk kills off every touch which is integral to his scare factor.

Thor is more technical and essentially requires that he be in the air at all times. Thor on the ground is not good at all but he has some options. The charged Mighty Strike buff is so good now. Air X factor is a great boost to Thor in general thanks to air XFC -> air command throw on chicken blocks. It's all about learning his better combos, hit confirms from mighty strikes (which is his best move for pretty much everything), moving around with him and developing resets for those crucial moments. The command throw range is also a good plus. Mighty Punish is one of Thor's best defensive options on the ground, one that he needed greatly.

Combo used to have a Cap team he dropped it after one WNF iirc
That was his troll team to use the Captain America infinite on fools. It was hilarious to watch. He also had Skrull on anchor which was crazy.

Marn played Captain America for a small time, did basic stuff with him and performed much better than he had thus far in UMVC3.

We definitely need more Thor and Iron Man players though. Iron Man needs a lot of help though.
For IM to succeed it has to be with the dedication that Clockwork gives to his character with that level of execution and hit confirm skills. People respect Clockwork because he sticks to his characters and believes in them through thick or thin. Right now no one believes in IM the same way.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The reason I play Thor is because I saw Mike Ross do one of his Mighty Hurricane resets on Marvelous Adventures... Yeah I know Mike Ross, but for that one moment Thor looked amazing to me.

Well I can safely say that Iron Man is the worst main Avenger in the game. I think Hawkeye, Captain America and Thor are all better than him at this point. Hawkeye is EASILY the best avenger, he's top 10 in the game.

Anyone wants to take me up on that statement?

I won't comment on tiers, but Unibeam will always mean Iron Man is more useful than Thor. Thor is really, really bad from every standpoint.

• The initial spark on his beam is only 1 low durability
  • beam is too slow, can be ducked and doesn't have many active frames(60 frames startup, 15 active on H) making the massive durability(25 on H version wtf) pointless
  • All his super armor moves take half a second to gain it
  • Mighty Strike still too slow to break through projectiles on reaction
  • grounded mighty strike is minus on block making it gross
  • H command grab doesn't have range to beat most xfactor guard cancels
  • needs to be babysat by assists
  • is slow as fuck and his normals suck balls meaning he can't at least play footsies like other bad characters
  • Mighty Punish is pretty much his only good move

I mean sure, he's got cool resets, but so does Wesker and Wesker actually works with other characters. His high health doesn't make up for his shortcomings, and his high damage is irrelevant.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Up to 96% of the cards. I think the only 4 I'm missing are Serpent, Captain Commando, Miles Edgeworth, and Batsu.

Reposting for new page:

Code:
MarvelGAF Heroes & Heralds - Week of December 25th

GAF Username            System  Gamertag         Faction  Location     Availability
----------------------  ------  ---------------  -------  -----------  ------------
Sixfortyfive            360     Sixfortyfive     Heroes   USA/AL       after 7PM ET
Oldschoolgamer          360     OldschoolgamerZ  Heroes   USA/MD       after 7PM ET
rs4-                    360     dokterrhouse     Heroes   CAN/Tor      anytime
shaowebb                360     Dynasty Penguin  Heroes   USA/WV       10PM - 1AM ET
The Abominable Snowman  360     vagabond01       Heralds  USA/VA       after 8PM ET
Professor Beef          PS3     ProfessorBeef    Heroes   USA/CA       anytime
ihearthawthats          PS3     ihearthawthats   Heroes   CAN/ON       after 9PM ET
Degen                   PS3     Dragon17013      Heralds  USA/PA       after 10PM ET
Karsticles              PS3     Karsticles       Heralds  USA/IL       various
Remember, if you want to add your name to this, try to pick the faction with the fewer current number of participants on your console so that we can keep a roughly 50/50 split. I'll move people around if there's still an imbalance by Sunday.

Stunning realization.

Thor >>> Iron Man.

Edit: been trying to use Iron Man, but Thor is just leagues better.
i love thor, but he's not that great. i hate iron man, and he's just extremely awkward to use. if i were being biased i'd say thor is better than iron man, but everyone around here loves iron man for some reason so i won't try to debate against iron man being better than thor.

thor can be awesome with the right team though. he actually makes a great battery because his resets are pretty deadly. he's still slow and has a hard time getting in, but if the opponent ends up in the corner, his corner lockdown is pretty scary.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Oh man just played against a Felicia player that knew what they were doing. Air Delta kick makes it feel like she's got control over the whole screen except for superjump height.That with something like drones is so annoying. Trying hit hit Sent worked every other time, I'd just get Delta kicked for it.

I mean sure, he's got cool resets, but so does Wesker and Wesker actually works with other characters. His high health doesn't make up for his shortcomings, and his high damage is irrelevant.

No, he's got the COOLEST rests.

Oh man just played against a Felicia player that knew what they were doing. Air Delta kick makes it feel like she's got control over the whole screen except for superjump height.That with something like drones is so annoying. Trying hit hit Sent worked every other time, I'd just get Delta kicked for it.

No, he's got the COOLEST rests.

No way, Filipino Champ's Dormammu reset that he did against Justin Wong was the coolest.

And yeah, Delta Kick rules. Felicia/Spiderman/Sentinel, SON. I'd actually work on that team if I felt like learning another 3 characters, lol

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm finally starting to go in on Viper... her damage is fucking retarded for such easy to execute combos. Execution-heavy relative to someone like Wesker, sure, but still Gerber-Baby enough that they shouldn't reward so much damage. Why does Capcom love this character so much?

*edit*

Maybe "Gerber-Baby"'s an exaggerration but this character does too much damage. Sitting next to a character like Chun, it makes zero sense.

I'm finally starting to go in on Viper... her damage is fucking retarded for such easy to execute combos. Execution-heavy relative to someone like Wesker, sure, but still Gerber-Baby enough that they shouldn't reward so much damage. Why does Capcom love this character so much?

Well TK knuckle cancels were more difficult to do in vanilla. They made them way easier in ultimate and Ive never missed the cancel since. Thats where her big damage boost come from now. My problem with her is Gettin the hit and confirming. That and not using all her tools. Big one is the FA.

Her normals suck and trying to get the hit on someone like zero without being out prioritized is pretty rough.

Well TK knuckle cancels were more difficult to do in vanilla. They made them way easier in ultimate and Ive never missed the cancel since. Thats where her big damage boost come from now. My problem with her is Gettin the hit and confirming. That and not using all her tools. Big one is the FA.

Her normals suck and trying to get the hit on someone like zero without being out prioritized is pretty rough.
why wouldn't you cancel it anyways? it leaves you at frame advantage?

her normals do suck, thats why you need to zone with seismo or even bks/tks to convince them to block first. if they start taking it to the air instead to avoid all that, her air throw is no joke. of course, a lockdown assist helps greatly.

why wouldn't you cancel it anyways? it leaves you at frame advantage?

her normals do suck, thats why you need to zone with seismo or even bks/tks to convince them to block first. if they start taking it to the air instead to avoid all that, her air throw is no joke. of course, a lockdown assist helps greatly.

Oh I always cancel the TK. I'm saying in general to open them up and get any hit to start any combo. More of a fundamentals thing on my part but her normals don't really help. I just suck at fighting games but enjoy playing them.

Dahbomb

Thor is really, really bad from every standpoint.
No he isn't, he is fairly good. Much better than IM. He has better rushdown than IM... I am dead serious.

[*]The initial spark on his beam is only 1 low durability
[*]beam is too slow, can be ducked and doesn't have many active frames(60 frames startup, 15 active on H) making the massive durability(25 on H version wtf) pointless
LOL Thor projectile game. I didn't even bother bringing it up because the notion of projectiles on Thor is a novelty. Yet it exists but it's rather pointless to his game plan.

[*]All his super armor moves take half a second to gain it
[*]Mighty Strike still too slow to break through projectiles on reaction
[*]grounded mighty strike is minus on block making it gross

Mighty Strike is easily his best move. No one uses Mighty Strike on the ground and even then they will charge it. You have enough opportunities to charge in with Mighty Strike especially with assists back up. If they see you charge up Mighty Strike you can always release early to catch them off guard. A Thor not using Mighty Strikes properly isn't even a Thor player.

[*]H command grab doesn't have range to beat most xfactor guard cancels
So? Use M command grab then it will still beat out most stuff. In the air it's rather easy to air XF against chicken block with command throw. This is still an option that many characters don't even have not to mention that he is the only character who can do this thing in the air.

[*]needs to be babysat by assists
So does most of the cast especially ALL of the heavies and even hard rushdown characters like Wolverine. Doesn't make them any less threatening. IM needs more baby sitting than Thor. In fact I can't think of anything other than Sentinel drones that helps out IM.

[*]is slow as fuck and his normals suck balls meaning he can't at least play footsies like other bad characters
Still faster than IM especially his tri-dash. He's not a footsie character at all... I don't know how you play Thor because footsies is not what he does at all. IM technically is one of the best footsie characters in the game because that's what he was designed to be... yeah that's working out great for him.

I didn't see anything here that puts IM above Thor. I would much rather play Thor on point than IM. I only play IM because of character loyalty. On my team there isn't even much value from that type of beam due to heavy scaling... I would much rather have Disruptor instead for Teleport mix ups.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
As I've been playing Cap IM and Thor since March....

Iron Man >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thor

he's so.....

slow.

you know what's a gdlk Avengers team? Iron Man Hulk Hawkeye. It's almost unfair in the right hands. I would swap out IM with Cap too.

Wolverine doesn't need to be babysat by assists, it just makes him safer. He's perfectly fine by himself.

And who cares if his rushdown is better than Iron Man's? That's not where Iron Man makes his money. I don't even think it is.

Mighty Strike is easily his best move. No one uses Mighty Strike on the ground and even then they will charge it. You have enough opportunities to charge in with Mighty Strike especially with assists back up. If they see you charge up Mighty Strike you can always release early to catch them off guard. A Thor not using Mighty Strikes properly isn't even a Thor player.

Of course it's his best special. It's what I complained about other Thor players for not using back in Vanilla. It's just that it's like a second air dash instead of the cleaving tool that it needs to be. The fact that you realize it needs assists only proves that. What happens when your 900k drones assist gets killed by a beam hyper? What's Thor's backup plan? He doesn't have one. Without assists, Iron Man can still play the chip game at mid range and dash cancel j2H to get in and start a high/low/throw mixup. Not to mention that Iron Man's resets are just as good as Thor's.

you know what's a gdlk Avengers team? Iron Man Hulk Hawkeye. It's almost unfair in the right hands. I would swap out IM with Cap too.

aka almost good.

No he isn't, he is fairly good. Much better than IM. He has better rushdown than IM... I am dead serious.
my memory is fuzzy, but were you not one of the people who said iron man was a-tier a while back?

LOL Thor projectile game. I didn't even bother bringing it up because the notion of projectiles on Thor is a novelty. Yet it exists but it's rather pointless to his game plan.
i think its actually a really good tool. it covers a lot of space, and it leaves you at hella frame advantage which is much needed since he's so slow.

spamming mighty strike is too predictable, so its good to mix it up with his mighty spark once in a while. i think its pretty pointless to say that mighty spark comes out too slow, its not like mighty strike or his tridash are exactly fast (especially if you're going to be charging it up).

Are these the only prejectile-negating assists? I'm trying to find a good psylocke.

Tatsumaki Zankuukyaku
Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
Mighty Strike
Charging Star
Reflector

weird, I figured gravimetric pulse would be one, nope. 9 points.

Ok, so far Charging Star and Akuma are the best. Both travel the same distance. Charging star's active frames start up a LOT faster, but Akuma is a little harder to punish. About to test hurt box differences.

Ryu Tatsu assist negates projectiles?

Oh weird, I thought it did in Denjin mode. Guess not.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Are these the only prejectile-negating assists? I'm trying to find a good psylocke.

Tatsumaki Zankuukyaku
Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
Mighty Strike
Charging Star
Reflector

Replusor Blast can take out fireballs but not beams

Ok, so it seems about what I expected. Charging Star has a slightly better vertical hitbox, and tatsu has a slightly better horizontal one. It's easy to punish Tatsu from above, especially with divekicks or a great jS, and although Charging star can be hit by the same moves, is much quicker so it's harder to connect. Unfortunately, Charging star is INCREDIBLY unsafe on block, so you need to protect it harder than tatsu. This probably makes charging star almost completely useless for characters that can't cross up easily. Both do about the same chip damage.

So basically it comes down to this: Charging Star works better on reaction and for combos(fewer hits and soft knockdown), but tatsu is much safer and has a longer hit confirm, making it the better overall assist.

Replusor Blast can take out fireballs but not beams

Ah, forgot about that one. It's actually a really, really good assist.

edit: I forgot about rocks, I guess that counts since the barrier is 25 points. could be an interesting expansion assist for the right team, it lasts a fucking long time.

Tatsumaki Zankuukyaku
Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
Mighty Strike
Charging Star
Reflector

Ironically, Tron Bonne, and she should have been your Psylocke in Vanilla.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OH
MY
FUCKING
GOD

1 HOUR 18 MINUTES OF CHRIS G VS COMBOFIEND!!!!!!!

MERRY MOTHERFUCKING MARVEL CHRISTMAS GAF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sQS7w0x4PAs

5 minutes in so far. Look for Gimlet+Spencer assist to combo into each other and pull Firebrand out of the air. GODLIKE.

Also: Hawkeye lv3 X-Factor mirror match is fucking hilarious.
HOLY SHIT

MERRY CHRISTMAS GAF!

Calling Spencer assist right before Gimlet.. omfg.

EDIT: DAT HAWKEYE MIRROR MATCH

Dahbomb

my memory is fuzzy, but were you not one of the people who said iron man was a-tier a while back?
Yeah I did for vanilla. I still think he is A- tier in vanilla. I think he's B- tier in Ultimate.

Before I was making the case for IM that he's still good/playable/viable which I still think he is.

I have just had a bad day with IM. Missing hit confirms, getting stuffed during air dashes, getting out prioritized from underneath me with superior anti-airs, frustrated by zoning. The breaking point was when I missed Smart Bomb into Iron Avenger because of the reduced hit stun from Smart Bombs after long combos. And it was on a Wesker too.

That's not where Iron Man makes his money.
Where does IM make his money from? Cuz I am hella broke with him right now. Please don't say footsies.
Wolverine doesn't need to be babysat by assists, it just makes him safer.
Depends on the match up and how much meter he has and X Factor. Without meter/X Factor, he can't convert off of anything and his B Slash is unsafe so he becomes a dud at that situation. Thank fully in live matches he usually has something to work with and most teams put him at the front where he belongs.

OH SNAPS CHRIS G VS COMBOFIEND! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

smurfx

get some go again
no wonder combofiend is so good. he invites everybody over to his house and downloads them! probably feeds them roscoes beforehand. :p

Burning Water

Neo Member
What she order?

Fish fillet?

So I had a team of Iron Fist/Storm/Iron Man, and I decided to put Iron Man away. Gave up trying to figure him out, or maybe I did and he's just cheeks in this game. Went with IF/Thor/Storm, and I love it so far. I also took Iron Man off my Hawkeye/Ryu team. He was in the back with Unibeam, and I want a replacement with a good horizontal assist. I'm thinking Dante. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Jesus, it's fucking disgusting how good Combofiend is. That whole team's tech... I don't even...

Nori Chan

Fish fillet?

So I had a team of Iron Fist/Storm/Iron Man, and I decided to put Iron Man away. Gave up trying to figure him out, or maybe I did and he's just cheeks in this game. Went with IF/Thor/Storm, and I love it so far. I also took Iron Man off my Hawkeye/Ryu team. He was in the back with Unibeam, and I want a replacement with a good horizontal assist. I'm thinking Dante. Any other suggestions?

YOOOO WHIP SOOO COOOOLD

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A dizzying array of mixups from Combofiend in that match. He nearly had a perfect on Chris G.
Seriously, these matches are so fucking entertaining to watch. Dat Donkey kick at 15:40.

It's two players, both arguably the best on their coasts going at it, both with unrelenting yet intelligent styles of play with the sickest hit confirms, both with unique, non-fraudulent teams. This is prime Marvel stuff right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom