• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I would rather not sit around fighting the AI for specific cards, and I'm a Herald online, so I need to play as a Hero offline to get them.

The offline AI is terrible. Like...really bad. It doesn't understand super armor, or much of anything else about the game.

Hence, I put together the following deck:
Grandmaster (Main)
Mephisto
Fin Fang Foom

This gives me permanent X-Factor for a damage boost, 3 bars of meter to start out with, and Grandmaster gives me HC regeneration just in case the computer TACs or something, plus level 3 vitality regeneration. As I type this, the AI just lost to my team, and I still had full health.

All I did was set Launcher and Assist 1 to Turbo, and set my Nintendo DS on the buttons.

This will make your controller scroll through all the menus automatically. Since A1 is set to Turbo, your second character will sometimes be your point character.

You will do nothing but spam launchers, and the AI will get hit by them, over and over. The AI simply doesn't know how to do enough damage fast enough to kill a character between X-Factor regeneration and Vitality Healing Lvl 3.

Assuming you are P1, your team will always be:
Ryu (Shoryuken)
Frank West (Shopping Cart)
Strider Hiryu (I don't care enough to look up how to spell this)

A1 is held down because Shopping Cart is a really good assist.

This is probably a better deck, but I don't have all the cards to make it work yet:
Kaijin No Soki (Main)
The Watcher
The Watcher

Also, giving assists super armor/stun is a good idea, as is maybe poison induction via assist. The AI doesn't know how to handle assists very well either. Of course, once again my team is about to win at full health as I finish typing this, so maybe my deck is good as it is. Frank West died once though - you could remove the A1 rapid fire and still get good results probably, maybe even better. None of the wins have been time outs. The AI is so terrible that it literally dies to Launcher and A1 mashing.

In conclusion, the AI just X-Factored into Iron Avenger, and by the time I stopped typing this sentence Frank West was back to full health and mashing S like the eternal warrior he is.

I hope this helps people cut down on the drag of grinding these cards - we can all do something more enjoyable and productive with our time until we get the cards we want so this mode can truly be enjoyed. Aaaand I just got Shun Goku Satsu'd, followed by a victory!

Oh, and sometimes Frank's launcher combos into Ryu's SRK assist for "big damage" - haha.

I feel like I'm the only one who enjoys James Chen's commentary but has a hard time listening to anyone on the Big 2, and as a result don't watch much of it.

Does Ghost Rider's chain stuff count as a command grab? I was playing against someone using him and they kept doing the diagonal one against an incoming character, and it was my understanding that as long as you block/don't press any buttons it shouldn't land, but it just kept hitting me even though I'm pretty sure I was just holding back.

A lot of people are talking about what Chris G or Combo were doing wrong, or what was better or worse. Fuck that, it was a great concept match, I wanna talk about what I learned.

I'm only halfway through, but I feel like I understand how Nova works a lot better than I did before, and I can see why people would drop Magneto for him. At 9 durability points, triple shot is a great expansion assist for his slide to put him in range for his cute little hop mixups. He's a great match for Combofiend, solid extended BnBs and lots of tools.

Awesome zoning from both Hawkeyes, I really like the baiting with M.

More Spencer ideas to steal ^_^

Combo really showing off the power of a flexible team. Really pulling me away from the Captain America team, 1.4 million damage meterless reset be damned. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Combofiend's teams make you feel embarassed about your team's synergy, no matter how good it may be.

A lot of teams could look like that if they spent the time breaking down their characters in the lab. People tend to ingnore a lot of character features, but Combofiend uses everything he can.

Firebrand's a good character, but there was a lot more they could have done with him. Personally, I was hoping his unique system would be a series of self-buff hypers where he absorbs various crests. So, he would be like Frank or Phoenix Wright, where your goal is to "level" him up. The point of what follows isn't to create a "balanced" character, but just to show how mediocre Firebrand is compared to what he could have been. Each crest should provide some slight visual to indicate what he is gaining, as per the game.

Check this page for visual references:
http://8bithorse.blogspot.com/2010/02/demons-crest.html

The crests: Earth, Fire, Air, Water, Time, Heaven, Infinity

Ic8GS.png

JeTmAn81

I've been using the offline portion of H&H to just practice my combos while wading through the AI teams. It's especially good for characters I don't know as well.

I don't think Iron Man needs an overhaul, he just needs a new move that makes him more interesting to play. I feel like he should have satellites like Mu in BlazBlue. I'm not sure if there's precedent for that, but it would be really cool and would fit his new cancelable c.H.

See what I mean in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElPGnUqC5KY

Sort of like Dr. Strange's spells, but these would just fire off bullets once about a second after being set out, and would then be destroyed or fire more bullets. Maybe the different strength versions could fire a different number of shots, fire them at different speeds, or they could have different ways of working:

Satellite L (rdp.L): After 60 frames, fires a medium speed bullet at your opponent. This occurs 3 times, once every 60 frames, and then the satellite fails.

Satellite M (rdp.M): After 60 frames, fires a beam at your opponent. This beam causes a lot of blockstun.

Satellite H (rdp.H): After 60 frames, fires a slow homing rocket at your opponent. This projectile will track for 300 frames or until it hits or is destroyed. The rocket can be destroyed by normal attacks.

So, Iron Man's game would be about setting up these Satellites, and either using them to zone opponents combined with Unibeam or use them for mix-ups. Repulsar Blast would be great for maintaining space to lay more Satellites.

Extra level of fun/brokenness:
Satellites don't become destroyed when they run out of ammo. Rather, they simply go inert. Fourth move:

Reload (rdp.S): All Sateliites have their ammunition replenished.

Fifth move:
Superior Tech (rdp.AA): For the next 300 frames, all Satellites have endless ammunition. You are free to act during this time.

mr. puppy

Banned
awesome write up.

great write up right there, though for what its worth you could see Combo fucking around a lot more than earliar on in the set and i'm not entirely sure if you could argue that ChrisG was adapting well.

However, its clear how much better he play when he has Wesker in and how much better his reads were getting, especially vs. Nova.

great write up right there, though for what its worth you could see Combo fucking around a lot more than earliar on in the set and i'm not entirely sure if you could argue that ChrisG was adapting well.

However, its clear how much better he play when he has Wesker in and how much better his reads were getting, especially vs. Nova.
Oh, I LITERALLY just got to the part where he picks Wesker for the first time.

The matches have been pretty good so far. I've always felt that Firebrand was a strange choice for Chris G though...

smurfx

get some go again
i think chris g really likes firebrand as a character but his shit damage output is making him drop him. sucks that he has to go back to wesker for the wins. guess that is why i'm rooting for justin wong now that he is going to stick with ironfist all the way to evo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Personally, I would rather not sit around fighting the AI for specific cards, and I'm a Herald online, so I need to play as a Hero offline to get them.

The offline AI is terrible. Like...really bad. It doesn't understand super armor, or much of anything else about the game.

Grandmaster (Main)
Mephisto
Fin Fang Foom

This gives me permanent X-Factor for a damage boost, 3 bars of meter to start out with, and Grandmaster gives me HC regeneration just in case the computer TACs or something, plus level 3 vitality regeneration. As I type this, the AI just lost to my team, and I still had full health.

All I did was set Launcher and Assist 1 to Turbo, and set my Nintendo DS on the buttons.

This will make your controller scroll through all the menus automatically. Since A1 is set to Turbo, your second character will sometimes be your point character.

You will do nothing but spam launchers, and the AI will get hit by them, over and over. The AI simply doesn't know how to do enough damage fast enough to kill a character between X-Factor regeneration and Vitality Healing Lvl 3.

Assuming you are P1, your team will always be:
Ryu (Shoryuken)
Frank West (Shopping Cart)
Strider Hiryu (I don't care enough to look up how to spell this)

A1 is held down because Shopping Cart is a really good assist.

This is probably a better deck, but I don't have all the cards to make it work yet:
Kaijin No Soki (Main)
The Watcher
The Watcher

Also, giving assists super armor/stun is a good idea, as is maybe poison induction via assist. The AI doesn't know how to handle assists very well either. Of course, once again my team is about to win at full health as I finish typing this, so maybe my deck is good as it is. Frank West died once though - you could remove the A1 rapid fire and still get good results probably, maybe even better. None of the wins have been time outs. The AI is so terrible that it literally dies to Launcher and A1 mashing.

In conclusion, the AI just X-Factored into Iron Avenger, and by the time I stopped typing this sentence Frank West was back to full health and mashing S like the eternal warrior he is.

I hope this helps people cut down on the drag of grinding these cards - we can all do something more enjoyable and productive with our time until we get the cards we want so this mode can truly be enjoyed. Aaaand I just got Shun Goku Satsu'd, followed by a victory!

Oh, and sometimes Frank's launcher combos into Ryu's SRK assist for "big damage" - haha.
SCIENCE!

Been swapping in Grandmaster intermittently too to get a feel for it, but playing offline you don't have to worry about them sapping your meter at all really. Never had an issue of that, and so the Fokker damage boost is preferential. And playing online.. isn't really an option cause I can't get any games going anyways :/

Ok, I've been griding out setups with Captain America, and I'm satisfied enough that I'll keep running my Wesker/Captain America/Spencer team for a while alongside Wesker/Magneto/Spencer. As long as I can kill off a Captain America air thow, I'll be happy.

What teams are everyone using? Just set my shortcuts ^_^

054LK.jpg

I set all three of my shortcuts to the same team to prevent me from selecting the wrong one on accident.

So, Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan.

Regarding the H&H stuff: the mode remembers the last team you picked, so no need to go with the defaults. I'm using Doom/Taskmaster/Trish right now for aggressive launchers and good projectile assists.

Burning Water

Neo Member
A. Captain America (Shield Slash)/Vergil (Judgement Cut)/Hawkeye (Quick Shot Greyhound)
B. Iron Fist (Rising Fang)/Thor (Mighty Smash)/Storm (Whirlwind)
C. Hawkeye (Trick Shot Violet Fizz)/Ryu (Tatsu)/Taskmaster (Aim Master Horizontal Shot)

I'm toying with the idea of replacing Taskmaster with Dante, but I haven't decided on the order. Suggestions?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Is there an official explanation on Hyper Sentinel Force hit points?

sometimes my Goddess Bracelet goes through it sometimes it doesnt....

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
- Maggie / Albert / Sent
- Trish / Dante / Magnus
- Hawkeye / Doom / Mags

I might end up replacing the third team. I was playing a random set with fam earlier, and ended up having fun with Hulk, Spencer, Captain America, and Nemesis.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I set all three of my shortcuts to the same team to prevent me from selecting the wrong one on accident.

So, Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan.

Regarding the H&H stuff: the mode remembers the last team you picked, so no need to go with the defaults. I'm using Doom/Taskmaster/Trish right now for aggressive launchers and good projectile assists.
H&H is just like arcade mode, remembers teams, colours and assists in order but if you shut off the game and boot it up again it will forget.

Grecco

After trying out pretty much a good chunk of the cast i ended up with Taskmaster/Zero/Wesker today. Probably sticking with that for the time being.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just started learning Cap this week. My go to team is: Hulk, Cap, Firebrand

But I'm also messing around with Cap, Frank West, Arthur

I'm not terribly competitive with either team.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's the best Frank West guide out there?

Also, do you guys think there is any synergy between Frank West and Nova?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Frank could use Nova's overhead assist, otherwise I can't think of any way they would work together. But then again, I'm not thinking in terms of THC either.

Free level 4/5s after Supernova is pretty good.

Shopping Cart is great for Nova's mixups, you can probably level up by doing a nova combo followed by an Energy Javelin OTG, raw tag into Frank West then Camera Shot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shopping Cart is great for Nova's mixups, you can probably level up by doing a nova combo followed by an Energy Javelin OTG, raw tag into Frank West then Camera Shot.
How exactly do you set up an Energy Javelin OTG into raw tag anyways? o_O Isn't the timing for that super tight? If that's the shit Combofiend is doing in that set with Chris G, even he's missing it fairly frequently.

How exactly do you set up an Energy Javelin OTG into raw tag anyways? o_O Isn't the timing for that super tight? If that's the shit Combofiend is doing in that set with Chris G, even he's missing it fairly frequently.

I dunno, I don't play Nova. Snapshot is 5 frames slower than Spencer's launcher though, so you'd have to play around with it.

Characters with power-up hypers make great partners for Frank if you wanna level him up quick without relying on THCs. Wolverine, Ryu, Firebrand, etc. At the very least you want to get him to lvl.2 so you can start mix-ups with his roll.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

As far as I know, you do it after the crumple, which is where Spencer's assist comes in. I'm not sure if it's the only assist that gives you the timing to do a free QCB H crumple, but I'm guessing it is. The startup on that move is very high.

The Spencer setup is calling the assist right after the overhead OTG, then Human Rocket Punch H followed by Javelin into hard tag or a further followup with Nova.

I just tested it, it's actually really easy. Backdash, do the crumple slide, mash javelin, raw tag, launch with frank west, hard knockdown, snapshot. So you can even get a few extra hits depending on what combo you use.

I also tried the flight H loop for the hell of it, also easier than I thought but maybe it's because I do Magneto combos all the time.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I just tested it, it's actually really easy. Backdash, do the crumple slide, mash javelin, raw tag, launch with frank west, hard knockdown, snapshot. So you can even get a few extra hits depending on what combo you use.

Ah okay, thought it was dependent on the crumple giving you extra time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciOh_ndJBDY&feature=related

Power of the Nova force is one of the best hypers for setting up level ups, you can DHC into a whiffed Tools of Survival or use THC. The problem is that Nova is a character that isn't very tricky and doesn't benefit from a powerful assist like the shopping cart as much as other characters do. So if you want an easy way to get lvl 4/5 Frank West Nova is a great choice, but what Noel Brown has shown is that to a certain degree West's shopping cart is worth more than the character himself even at high levels.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, lol. I only did the last part. How you set it up is up to you, I guess? Anyway, Nova/Frank/Dante would probably be an awesome team.

I think the hitstun destroys the option in a full combo. fH scales a ton, which probably makes the Spencer assist ace for extending his already hugely damaging combos.

Karst, please stop me from getting sucked into my gimmick team of Dormammu(liberation)/Wesker/Spencer. I need someone to tell me it's a bad idea.

I think the hitstun destroys the option in a full combo. fH scales a ton, which probably makes the Spencer assist ace for extending his already hugely damaging combos.

Slant Shot is one of the best combo/reset assists in the game in general. Holy shit that thing is good.

zlatko

Banned
As far as I know, you do it after the crumple, which is where Spencer's assist comes in. I'm not sure if it's the only assist that gives you the timing to do a free QCB H crumple, but I'm guessing it is. The startup on that move is very high.

The Spencer setup is calling the assist right after the overhead OTG, then Human Rocket Punch H followed by Javelin into hard tag or a further followup with Nova.

I think the only other possible assist that could work in the exact same context would be Magneto's hyper grav. Someone can test to see.

That set between Chris and Combo was sooooo gooooooooood. Is it normal I have an erection after watching it? As a Nova/Hawkeye/Wesker player it was super informative stuff for me to pick up on for some new technology.

I wonder if Combo knows the mix up you can do with Nova from Hawkeye ground assist while you do nova air jump into a QCB + H. If it hits = free combo. If they block = free mix up for you. Your options leave you with doing an H to hit them on the head, air dash forward to gtfo there, air dash back wards to cross up bop on head, you can also fly, do a hyper (air rocket to gtfo if they do a random hyper to try to punish), and of course you can block.

I kind of wonder why nobody has used a Dorm/Wesker/good beam assist team yet, such a team would be incredibly cheap and effective, since both Dorm and Wesker are versatile and has tools for most matchups even without abusing teleports. Something like Dorm/Wesker/Doom has the potential to be this game's MSS if people tried them.

LakeEarth

I just want to build power points, DHC into Super Wesker, then troll people with Volcano assist. Is that shameful?

I kind of wonder why nobody has used a Dorm/Wesker/good beam assist team yet, such a team would be incredibly cheap and effective, since both Dorm and Wesker are versatile and has tools for most matchups even without abusing teleports. Something like Dorm/Wesker/Doom has the potential to be this game's MSS if people tried them.

I think MSS is this game's MSS.

I'm thinking about using a team with Chris. Who works well with him? Keep in mind I don't know where I want to put him on a team yet, I just wanna use him.

Update:
You'll win 95% of the time against 3-star levels, 60% of the time against 4 star levels, and I haven't won against a 5 star level using that first strategy, but I'm working on something new.

I figured out something to make this even cheesier.

Cards:
Daken (Main)
Servbot
Juggernaut

Daken gives life regen. Servbot lets you spam assists. Juggernaut gives the assists armor. Why Daken in paricular? Reducing red life is actually really, really nice against the CPU, because it loves to tag between characters as they take damage. This essentially removes the additional problem caused by healing on tagged out characters.

Team:
Hawkeye (Triple Shot)
Sentinel (Sentinel Force)
Dr. Doom (Hidden Missiles)

Basically, put H and A1 on turbo instead of S and A1. This is so effective my team just perfected the 3-star AI. In particular, the computer won't even move against Hawkeye + Hidden Missiles. It's not 100%, but it's doing better than the initial combination. It just 100% the final bonus stage, something my previous setup could not do.

Woot, the setup just grinded me a Thanos card! =D

Karst, please stop me from getting sucked into my gimmick team of Dormammu(liberation)/Wesker/Spencer. I need someone to tell me it's a bad idea.
Liberation assist is terrible. :p

I'm thinking about using a team with Chris. Who works well with him? Keep in mind I don't know where I want to put him on a team yet, I just wanna use him.

Any anti air assist works well, Spencer/Strider/Trish/Hulk all work very well with Chris. Chris also is quite a decent anchor in UMvC3, the only issue is that he gets blown up by teleporters easily, especially the Sparta bastards.

DasRaven

Grandmaster (Main)
Mephisto
Fin Fang Foom

I thought something like this would be possible, but I didn't sit down to make it happen until I read this post. Here's what's auto-piloting my stick while I watch the SoulCalibur5 presentation from this morning:

Ghost Rider / Sentinel / Hulk + Grandmaster/Grandmaster/CaptBlue
Most of the matches is just blocked launcher -> drones or launcher -> fall onto 1-2 drones.
On the occasion that the order gets switched, it's blocked launcher -> chain or just launcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom