• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frantic

I played a good Zero in player matches just now... I'd rather face a team of Wesker/Wesker/Wesker with permanent XF4 than face one competent Zero. So much salt. So much...
The guy actually ran Dark Wesker on anchor, and getting down to him was a relief since it meant Zero was dead. I have no problems laming Dark Wesker out with Dante. It's actually rather easy.

@God's Beard: try Dante. He's got arguably the best flight in the game if you want to spend a meter for it. :p

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The AI just teched my command throw 3 times in a row. What the fuck.

Really hoping that's just more H&H silliness and not something that's actually possible.

Dahbomb

How is it even possible to tech command throws? WTF is this shit? How do you know you didn't just got a f+H or b+H out (if the 1 frame version was used)?

Is there a card that allows that or something? Might be one of those AI/H&H only things.

Sixfortyfive

My execution isn't great, but I don't think I screwed it up 3 times in a row.

If anyone's curious, here's where you can find the S-rank cards that are tied to specific stages:

any bonus stage - Blodia
Demon Village (Heroes) - Mega Man
Asgard (Heroes) - Fantastic Four
Demon Village Redux (Heralds) - Astaroth
Asgard: Sea of Space (Heralds) - Myria
Fate of the Earth - Fin Fang Foom (seemingly more common on Heroes side), Thanos (seemingly more common on Heralds side)

The Watcher seems to be given out in online matches.

Sixfortyfive

Any word on Serpent AND Captain Commando? No one seems to have those 2 cards.
Nope. I'm also trying to farm multiples of The Watcher for the time being, but winning online with nothing but Prof X cards is a little difficult. I did receive the card I wanted after the only match I've won so far though, so that's a good sign.

Reposting GAF H&H sign-ups for a new day:

Code:
MarvelGAF Heroes & Heralds - Week of December 25th

GAF Username            System  Gamertag         Faction  Location     Availability
----------------------  ------  ---------------  -------  -----------  ------------
Sixfortyfive            360     Sixfortyfive     Heroes   USA/AL       after 7PM ET
Oldschoolgamer          360     OldschoolgamerZ  Heroes   USA/MD       after 7PM ET
rs4-                    360     dokterrhouse     Heroes   CAN/Tor      anytime
shaowebb                360     Dynasty Penguin  Heroes   USA/WV       10PM - 1AM ET
The Abominable Snowman  360     vagabond01       Heralds  USA/VA       after 8PM ET
Professor Beef          PS3     ProfessorBeef    Heroes   USA/CA       anytime
ihearthawthats          PS3     ihearthawthats   Heroes   CAN/ON       after 9PM ET
Degen                   PS3     Dragon17013      Heralds  USA/PA       after 10PM ET
Karsticles              PS3     Karsticles       Heralds  USA/IL       various
Remember, if you want to add your name to this, try to pick the faction with the fewer current number of participants on your console so that we can keep a roughly 50/50 split. I'll move people around if there's still an imbalance by Sunday.

Serpent and Commando are now the only two cards I need, period.

Anyone figure out how to get these yet?
No news on either. Serpent sucks though, so it's not like you're missing out there.

It just makes me sad that Sentinel and MODOK have the only good flight modes in the game, and neither are as awesome as the previous Marvel games. Fuck activation frames.

Give Iron Fist a flight mode, I don't give a crap about ground characters >:-(

Cept Wesker, cause he's the closest thing to Jedah in this game.
Morrigan has the best flight mode in the game. And I thought you hated Iron Fist because he looks like a salsa dancer?

If anyone's curious, here's where you can find the S-rank cards that are tied to specific stages:

any bonus stage - Blodia
Fate of the Earth - Fin Fang Foom (seemingly more common on Heroes side), Thanos (seemingly more common on Heralds side)

OOooo, thank you! I still need F4 and Astaroth.

I swear I got Fin Fang online, but my memory is hazy :(.
You can get any card online (AFAIK); he's talking about offline.

Dahbomb

Serpent is pure counter pick card. If there was ever a local mode for H&H and it was being played at side tournaments.... Serpent would be banned because then he would just look at your cards put Serpent in the slot of where the other guy has their S tier card and then pack the rest of the cards with shit cards like that Steve Chapman cards which disables block. You would win automatically.

There are some cards in H&H that are built around the online play structure in mind.

mr. puppy

Banned
Anybody put some work into Rocket Raccoon with the log assist? People are beginning to get better at dealing with Vajra and I want something to pick people out of the air for me, and I'm having decent success with this. My RR play is absolutely horrible though.

Dahbomb

Repulsor Blast assist deals with Vajra sort of. I play that assist on my Chris/IM/Sentinel team. I would assume Jam Session, Mystic Ray and Lariat do too.

Yeah that Hayato 6 hit chain series ability is damn useless.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The AI just teched my command throw 3 times in a row. What the fuck.

Really hoping that's just more H&H silliness and not something that's actually possible.

That's strange, whenever the ai doesn't want me to land a command grab they'll just jump.

Morrigan has the best flight mode in the game. And I thought you hated Iron Fist because he looks like a salsa dancer?
Can't unsee.

storm has a pretty good flight as well and of course mags.

Who do you all think really gains something from having a full 6-hit series?
no one. maybe hulk or nemesis for armored frame traps, but certainly not worth dedicating a card to. thor would be able to setup cr.h/cr.h~mighty hurricane kara cancel mixup off any of his normals, but none of his normals are particularly great in the first place.

Dahbomb

Yeah the heavies are the only characters that came to my mind. Especially Sentinel if he can do something like st.M into cr.M or vice versa. In fact now that I think about being able to chain his mediums would be beneficial to Sentinel. But I would never waste a card on that ability... I would much rather give him faster aerial movement or armor in the air. Hell even air dash on Sentinel is bad ass with the frying pan cross up.

Sentinel and MODOK have the best flight modes to me because they actually play like the flight characters in earlier Marvel games. Morrigan and Dante, as far as I can tell, aren't playing footsies in the air so much as dropping lasers from full screen.

Sentinel and MODOK have the best flight modes to me because they actually play like the flight characters in earlier Marvel games. Morrigan and Dante, as far as I can tell, aren't playing footsies in the air so much as dropping lasers from full screen.
air footsies is fun, but nothing is as fun as 8-way-air-wave-dashing to make it look like your character is on crack.

shaowebb

Any word on Serpent AND Captain Commando? No one seems to have those 2 cards.

I've got Captain Commando. I got it outta Asgard on Heroes side.
EDIT: Oh shit...I may have been using Prof X that run though so it might not be linked to anything in particular. I've off and on ran Prof X or a deck with two missile's in it to farm. Either way it was heroes side though.

Solune

Who do you all think really gains something from having a full 6-hit series?

If it wasn't limiting to H&H it would be make characters like

Zero, Spencer, Vergil, Ryu, Nova even better than they already are IMO. Some characters don't really need it of course, and some that do are still bad (Iron Man).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

any bonus stage - Blodia

This is relevant to my interests. Thank you for posting this.

Also I got Silver Surfer on The Hand Hideout (Heroes), if that means anything.

Any other Wesker players on GAF? I need help improving this setup:

Wesker/Captain America/Spencer

Glasses On:
LMH xx Cobra Strike, dash, Low Shot, 2MH xx Cobra Strike, dash, Low Shot, A2(Slant Shot), S sjc Phantom Dance, Snap Back

~620k, but they'll get a lot back from red health

On incoming character(Glasses Off):

Option select j6H :

Jump loop:
jH xx j2H, jH xx j2H, jH xx j2H, MHS, jMHS, Low Shot, A2(Slant Shot), reset
~585k

Air Throw combo:
Low Shot, 2MH xx Cobra Strike, Low Shot, A1(Charging Star), Ghost Butterfly, dash, 2HS, jMHS, Low Shot, A2(Slant Shot), reset
~400k

If they block/tech/pushblock, call A1(Charging Star) then crossup/fake crossup with dash/teleport L/H depending on distance:
A1(Charging Star), MH xx Cobra Strike, Low Shot, MH xx Ghost Butterfly, dash, 2HS, jMMHS, Low Shot, A2(Slant Shot), reset
~510k

reset

after Slant Shot grounds them but before they recover H xx:
Teleport H, jS, 2H xx Cobra Strike xx Teleport L, Low Shot, 2H xx Low Shot, 2HS, jH, jS, A2, Low Shot, Ghost Butterfly, dash back, 2HS, jHS, A1, Low Shot, S, jS, Air Teleport H, Low Shot
~800k

after Slant Shot grounds them but before they recover(against light characters) H xx:
Teleport H, jS, 2H xx Cobra Strike xx Teleport L, Low Shot, 2HS, jH, jS, A2, Low Shot, Ghost Butterfly, dash back, 2HS, jHS, A1, Low Shot, S, jS, Air Teleport H, Low Shot
~720k

after Slant Shot grounds them but before they recover(against people who try to mash tech or hold up back or whatever):
L*MH xx Cobra Strike, blah blah blah
~600-800k *-stealth reset, they won't realize that the combo even ended aka "The Filipino Champ"

after Slant Shot grounds them but before they recover(against people who like to block) L, ... :
any command grab, blah blah blah
~500-600k

Anyway, this is what I have right now, let me know if I'm missing anything or can add a 3rd layer to any of these with my team. Generally speaking, two layers has been pretty good odds for me and I get 2-3 free meters per character kill after the snap back that I can save for Captain America and Spencer for those reaction hypers. I need to play more teams to work on this, though, it's still heavily in progress.

The biggest problem I have with this specific setup is that I only get the 2M into snap back after the hyper like 1/5 times. Is there a trick to making it more consistent? Phantom Dance is pretty hard to predict, even in the corner. I've had better luck just using Phantom Dance to kill after a reset like most people, but I feel like I'm giving away too many chances. There isn't enough time to hyper after a snap back, either.

By the way, is guard breaking still in the game?

edit: Man, I'm stupid. I just did the snapback raw instead of the 2M to confirm. Works most of the time, but sometimes big characters spin out of the corner during Phantom Dance. Fixed. Anyway, is this new tech? I don't think I've seen anyone use it in a tournament.

edit 2: holy shit I never noticed that his level 3 does 672,000 damage in lvl 1 xfactor and glasses off. GODDAMN

Frantic

edit: Man, I'm stupid. I just did the snapback raw instead of the 2M to confirm. Works most of the time, but sometimes big characters spin out of the corner during Phantom Dance. Fixed.
I was about to say... lol.

Here's another reset you can add to the Slant Shot reset blender. Instead of letting it ground them, hit them with an L while they're still in the air and they'll tech in the perfect spot to airthrow/jump-loop/teleport-mixup them. It also allows you to switch things up from air resets and ground resets. I used to run Wesker/Deadpool/Spencer for a time, and I had a lot of dirty stuff with Slant Shot assist...

Also, after the snapback you can dash back, call Spencer, and then teleport/fake-teleport to snatch them out of the air if you wanted to. I used to do it a fair amount when I ran the team. It is a bit obvious straight on the ground, but the way I did it was by TK'ing the teleports. I could go forward, or go straight down and they'd have to guess which I was going for. If they guessed wrong, it was a free combo/mixup for me.

I was about to say... lol.

Here's another reset you can add to the Slant Shot reset blender. Instead of letting it ground them, hit them with an L while they're still in the air and they'll tech in the perfect spot to airthrow/jump-loop/teleport-mixup them. It also allows you to switch things up from air resets and ground resets. I used to run Wesker/Deadpool/Spencer for a time, and I had a lot of dirty stuff with Slant Shot assist...

Also, after the snapback you can dash back, call Spencer, and then teleport/fake-teleport to snatch them out of the air if you wanted to. I used to do it a fair amount when I ran the team. It is a bit obvious straight on the ground, but the way I did it was by TK'ing the teleports. I could go forward, or go straight down and they'd have to guess which I was going for. If they guessed wrong, it was a free combo/mixup for me.

Ah yeah, I have all the normal Viscant resets too. Teleport one is the kind Justin used to use with Akuma, right? TK H teleport is awesome in general. Wesker has so many mixups. He's beautiful. The main reason I don't use the second one so much is because I don't think there's a lot of great follow ups if they escape it. It's good to confuse them once in a while, for sure.

Frantic

The main reason I don't use the second one so much is because I don't think there's a lot of great follow ups if they escape it.
Depends. If they block it, you can instantly go for a command grab. A TK H teleport will allow for an immediate command grab. You won't get much off a TK L teleport(probably get punished, to be honest), but if you go for a grounded L teleport, you'll be able to get a command grab as well. It can definitely catch people off guard.

Honestly, I'm thankful I mained Wesker for a while. I know all the possible setups with him that I hardly get opened up by him, lol.

Burning Water

Neo Member
I have also discovered some more technology with Vergil:

Vergil's Round Trip follows him off screen even if you tag out. During his combos, you can charge up Round Trip, throw it out and tag out. It will continue the combo into the next character like let's say Zero after the tag. You can basically get stupid amounts of damage with this set up.

Simple RT raw tag set up: Air throw or BnB starter (start holding L) MH f+H Trick M, HSH, Round Trip release, raw tag.

Frankie G did the first part of that at SCR. Round Trip, raw tag to Wesker.

Any suggestions for a Hawkeye/Ryu/Dante team?

You know the best thing about this game vs Vanilla?

Random Stage Select being the default option. It always bugged how most of the hype ass matches in Vanilla were on that boring ass green and black training stage.

- grind the rest of psn gaf into a fine powder

cloudius: Check

t9yZJ.gif

I just got a trophy. "Training in Isolation."

Considering that I almost never go back to the main menu so that the game can update, that's pretty nice. Probably all from H&H mode.

Burning Water

Neo Member
Don't know a ton about Dante but I'd switch the order up. Dante/Ryu/Hawkeye.

I thought about making that an alternate order.

Could always look up Chris G's vids on how he uses Ryu's tatsu assist with Hawkeye, ends up being great for hit confirming into combo's.

Already on it =p

I'm clueless as to which assist to use for Dante. They all seem kinda good with Crystal being the least of three.

Ken

Currently trying to learn Zero and I'm having a hard time doing the OTG H Dive > Buster L3 > Raikousen L thing. After the Buster I'll usually come out with the Dive feint, random air normals, or a late Raikousen, but the first two come out most often. Any tips for when to do the dp motion for the Raikousen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom