• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I knew about that Gimlet XFC trick. Only worth trying from large distances away.

I also know that most power up hypers can evade it completely. Hawkeye can't randomly Gimlet the Sparda twins when they are on the ground because they can just Devil Trigger into teleport. You can also raw tag to evade the Gimlet. It's really only best to use Gimlet when they are in the air and have committed to an action.

You can cancel moves with raw tags?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I heard Justin Wong entered or was going to enter Smash in 2008. Apparently he was using Diddy. I've always wanted to see footage of it but I don't think there is any.

No one really payed any attention (or at least I didn't) to Smash in 2008 at Evo because of the whole items thing.

Smash in 2007 had all common characters in the top8. The only exception was a Pikachu, but that was someone's secondary.

heroes and heralds makes any character viable, amirite
come back solar, you can be top tier like everyone else
No thanks
Capcom's justification for Zero buffs: "See, we love Megaman!"
His health is so low!
The character variety was only varied at EVO Smash because of the allowance of items (which I was not against). Certain characters are broke as fuck with items (example: Ganondorf + green shell), while other normally top-tier characters don't really gain anything substantial (Metaknight). Without items, the (top)tier list for Smash goes (in order):

S: Metaknight
A: Diddy, Snake, Falco
I was actually talking about Smash Melee in 2007...
The only known recorded match of Degen and Beef in their eternal rivalry. This time in 3rd strike.
http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/293870548

Tonight will decide who is above the other. Only one can ascend to the upper echelon of fighting GAF.

Viewers get to choose what songs could be played during their matches. I don't care if you recommend Shania Twain, Celine Dion, etc.
More like mid tier of fighting GAF. Top tier is reserved for legendary folks and fighting gaf personalities.

Also:
Capcom vs SNK 2 Music - True Love Makin' (London Stage)

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger OST, T1-09: Gale (Bang's Theme Song)

Guilty Gear X BlazBlue Music Live 2011 - T-11: Still In The Dark

Please and thank you!

I am formally requesting Britney Spears' "Lucky" as part of the soundtrack.
Those were old Smash games I was talking about.. not Brawl. Yeah I know Metaknight is SSSSS tier in Brawl (same tier as Sparda) and thus is banned.

But the item tidbit is interesting.

The item knowledge is funny because with items on Ganon leapfrogs up past Metaknight into "Sparda? Bitch I INVENTED Sparda" tier. There's a reason certain items were banned at EVO, after all.

And I wasn't aware you were talking about the older games, but I blame that on just waking up. :p

I heard Justin Wong entered or was going to enter Smash in 2008. Apparently he was using Diddy. I've always wanted to see footage of it but I don't think there is any.

No one really payed any attention (or at least I didn't) to Smash in 2008 at Evo because of the whole items thing.

Smash in 2007 had all common characters in the top8. The only exception was a Pikachu, but that was someone's secondary.
Justin didn't even get top 8 in 2008. Scrubbed out early, if memory serves.

Anth0ny

Yeah I don't know about the tier lists for Smash and CVS2. The winners for Tekken, SC, MVC2/3, SF4, SSF4 are all high to top tier characters.

Evo 2007 Melee

1st. Ken (Marth)
2nd. HugS (Samus)
3rd. Mango (Jigglypuff)
4th. PC Chris (Fox, Falco, Peach)
t5th. Chu Dat (Ice Climbers)
t5th. Eddie (Fox, Ganon)
t7th. Chillindude (Fox)
t7th. DieSuperFly (Sheik)

At the time, Samus, Jigglypuff, Peach, Ice Climbers and Ganon weren't considered top tier. Today, Jigglypuff is top tier, Peach is high tier, and ICs, Ganon and Samus are mid.

In other words Melee is balanced as fuck. Hopefully you guys check out the Apex 2012 stream next week, top 8 of Melee will be on Sunday alongside AE and Marvel. I highly recommend you guys give it a watch. It's only top 8, international competition (and HYPE) will be present, and yours truly will be there ;)

Justin didn't even get top 8 in 2008. Scrubbed out early, if memory serves.

I really hope Justin gives Smash 4 a shot. If he could successfully troll the Mortal Kombat community, I'm sure he could win the first Smash 4 major if he really tries :lol

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
In other words Melee is balanced as fuck. Hopefully you guys check out the Apex 2012 stream next week, top 8 of Melee will be on Sunday alongside AE and Marvel. I highly recommend you guys give it a watch. It's only top 8, international competition (and HYPE) will be present, and yours truly will be there ;)

Does Mango still not give a fuck?

Kimosabae

Banned
Seeing people talk about Brawl makes me unreasonably angry.

Glad to see the Smash community is wising up to the idea of having the traditional fighters be a big part of their majors. It's genius, really, and shocking that it hasn't been thought of sooner. Great way to help them integrate better into the FGC at large. Now all we need is more Smash players playing games outside Smash.

Seeing people talk about Brawl makes me unreasonably angry.

Glad to see the Smash community is wising up to the idea of having the traditional fighters be a big part of their majors. It's genius, really, and shocking that it hasn't been thought of sooner. Great way to help them integrate better into the FGC at large. Now all we need is more Smash players playing games outside Smash.

When MVC3 first dropped, it felt like quite a few people on the streams at the time were commented as coming from airdashers like GG and BB, and from Smash.

Kimosabae

Banned
When MVC3 first dropped, it felt like quite a few people on the streams at the time were commented as coming from airdashers like GG and BB, and from Smash.

Eh, that's largely from Jaxel's stream where his streams already supported Brawl. Plus, Jersey has a solid Smash scene. Naturally, a few names from the Smash scene would be looking to try Marvel and would show up on The Break.

Eh, that's largely from Jaxel's stream where his streams already supported Brawl. Plus, Jersey has a solid Smash scene. Naturally, a few names from the Smash scene would be looking to try Marvel and would show up on The Break.

So it wasn't as widespread as I thought, huh? That's too bad.

Roto13

Heroes and Heralds is so close I'm afraid to play. :p I'm not very good and I'm fairly certain one loss from me would be so bad that the Heralds would be screwed forever.

The WakeupSRK podcast with Keits and Ski announced that they'll be revealing a bunch of EVO details including the lineup next week 7PM PST(10PM EST) on Tuesday. I thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

Expect me to be VEEEEEEEEERY salty next week.
Evo 2007 Melee

1st. Ken (Marth)
2nd. HugS (Samus)
3rd. Mango (Jigglypuff)
4th. PC Chris (Fox, Falco, Peach)
t5th. Chu Dat (Ice Climbers)
t5th. Eddie (Fox, Ganon)
t7th. Chillindude (Fox)
t7th. DieSuperFly (Sheik)

At the time, Samus, Jigglypuff, Peach, Ice Climbers and Ganon weren't considered top tier. Today, Jigglypuff is top tier, Peach is high tier, and ICs, Ganon and Samus are mid.

I'll watch for sure. I've never seen a smash bros game on stream before and this will be a HUGE treat because of that alone. Me and my cousin are totally going to flip out because we've only played mid level at best haha.

I won't even get mad.

It's the EVO staff's own decision if they want to discredit the event with poor game choices.

Side tourney's for life.

Tobe

goddamit some idiot stole 2000msp from my acc :(
so i won the neo bingo grand prize, and then i got hacked hum karma how does it works

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
SF4 and Marvel are basically locks. It'll probably be those 2 along with all the new games coming out next year (SFxT, SCV, Skullgirls).

Not sure about other not new games like MK and Tekken.

If I had to guess the 5 EVO games:

UMvC3
SC5
KOF XIII
BBCS:E

If EVO is still 3 days, there's no way they can get a whole SFxT tournament done within the time confines knowing what we know about the game. Unless they make the gem loadout screen a lot faster and ensure people aren't use preorder gems with better activation conditions, the game would be a nightmare to run a large-scale tourney for. And BBCS:E still has a pretty active scene, no?

Wonder how much the power of Capcom will have though...

-----

In Marvel news, I can't wait to see what tech is debuted at EVO this year. Saving stuff for nationals is the best part of EVO and big tourneys. Kinda sad I won't be able to go next year T_T

Edit: oh yeah, I guess they could just ban gems.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
imokwiththis.png

lol SFxT being there before its released and its full of gemzzzz

lol MK
lol BB
lol Skullgirls

The same exact thing happened last year. MK was announced before it was released.I don't think Marvel was out either. I think putting MK before it was released was more of a gamble than putting SFxT in now.

Also if gems are banned, fuck the Evo staff for allowing items for Smash in 2008. Fucking hypocrites.

Azure J

I come back to the thread to check up on what's new and we're talking Smash in here. I like. :D

Gotta admit, I've been falling more and more out of the loop thanks to an affair I'm having with Skyward Sword and still no fucking Xbox/Live. :lol

As for EVO, I just hope there's a shit ton of good side streams. Let the main events have their fun, I'll stream most of them, but hopefully there'll be a lot of nice surprises on the off side of things.

Tobe

you report the theft to microsoft?

i chatted with a representative reporting it but as my country isnt supported by xbl i cant call them, so itll have to wait till february when im in the states to call them. at least my acc isnt locked.

I noticed a lot of players today quitting Heroes and Heralds after landing a first hit or chip damage. They would enter, land a hit or set off a hyper/team hyper, and promptly quit the match. Is that a bug to build points?

Grecco

i chatted with a representative reporting it but as my country isnt supported by xbl i cant call them, so itll have to wait till february when im in the states to call them. at least my acc isnt locked.

Still change your passwords. Every password. Also have you played EA games?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
3 Capcom games and yet no real support from Capcom.

Why...
Because much of the community grew up on Capcom games, and they still garner the most interest without the need of help from Capcom.

Help from Capcom however, would make shit get real. #eSports

3 Capcom games and yet no real support from Capcom.

Why...

Why should they provide support when their games are going to get played anyway?

It's the others who need to step up and throw money around to survive in the crowding market (See the Namco (Sponsor) stream at SCR staying up while the rest were cut to save bandwidth for the main (Capcom) stream).

I think Atlus, WB, Reverge need to look into sponsoring.

SBO can already be bought into, and once a game is announced for it's lineup, that game gets tons more play until the event. (Sengoku Basara X last year)

Don't really think you can say IF won Evo if Justin wins. Sure he is the draw of the team but in a lot of the fights Wolverine does the work. It is like saying Wong won with Cyclops in MvC2. It's a team game and the team is mostly top tier.

Also would be very surprised if it was anything but Beef's list, probably in that order as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom