• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capcom seems to do everything besides directly put money into the pool at EVO, though. They brought in SF4/TvC machines, Ono, and in general have had a large presence at EVO the past couple of years. Seems all people really want is a bigger payout though (not that I'm against that).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
yeah got fifa'd the worst thing about it is to have some lame cheevos for it :/

Aw, man. That really sucks. :(

I'd still find a way to report it to Microsoft somehow. Doesn't it take at least 4 weeks for the issue to be resolved? You might want to see if you can't get a head start by contacting someone through xbox.com or something.

Capcom seems to do everything besides directly put money into the pool at EVO, though. They brought in SF4/TvC machines, Ono, and in general have had a large presence at EVO the past couple of years. Seems all people really want is a bigger payout though (not that I'm against that).

I think this is the main thing. Not to discount the incredible amount of work of the EVO staff, but having all those companies with their shows, demos, and personality there have helped make it what it is, too. It's really like a convention or trade show almost now with the tourney taking the main stage, lol.

I hope they do add to the payout though. Just another way of showing their support.

Expect MK fans to be angry. All 10 of them.

Id guess All 3 Capcom games, Soul Calibur 5 and KOF 13.

EVO organisers make their game decisions based on how much players they think the game will draw. And KOFXIII doesn't draw more people in tourneys than MK9. If MK9 doesn't make it the chances of KOFXIII making it are slim.

3 Capcom games and yet no real support from Capcom.

Why...

The roots of EVO (The B tournys) are rooted in SF and Capcom games. I don't know why some people get all weird and accuse them of being Capcom centric (not you in particular), like it's a negative thing.

People love Capcom games. Lots of people play Capcom games. EVO is Capcom centric, and will always be like that.

The other games have to work to get in, imo. It's not a bad thing, just the way it is. I hold nothing against the cannons/EVO if it's all Capcom, it's their tourney/convention thingy they have built. I love it!

That said, somebody will be salty though, no matter what. Not enough time for every game, and everybody has their fav.

Hopefully SC5 is in :)

EVO organisers make their game decisions based on how much players they think the game will draw. And KOFXIII doesn't draw more people in tourneys than MK9. If MK9 doesn't make it the chances of KOFXIII making it are slim.

I will bet all sorts of money that kof13 pulls more people than mk9 in all upcoming majors, starting at final round.

I am 100% sure the evo lineup will be capcom trio, sc5, and kof13. Namco is pushing big for sc5, and they almost always like to have at least one 3d game on board.

Grecco

I will bet all sorts of money that kof13 pulls more people than mk9 in all upcoming majors, starting at final round.

I am 100% sure the evo lineup will be capcom trio, sc5, and kof13. Namco is pushing big for sc5, and they almost always like to have at least one 3d game on board.

Not only that but SRK is full of KOF news. Its gonna be there.

Nikashi

Banned
Okay, just looking for advice, and a few general questions.

1. How many OTGs are you allowed to have, and why can some characters relaunch 4 and 5 times in a single combo? I notice that when I try to do a relaunch combo with nova, they either recover in the air, or if I OTG they immediately roll away with no chance for a combo. Meanwhile, Dr. Dooms are lauching and hitting OTG WITH NO ASSISTS 3 and four times, is it just something that is character specific, or is my execution just that bad? How THE FUCK do you know when you can't otg again??

2. Wesker's hyper really is unblockable? I've died with just a Wesker left SO MANY TIMES because they OCV me using random hyper combos that eventually hit me even though I block. Is that just something I'll have to just know will happen sometimes, or is there a way to block it really fast a specific way?

3. Oh my god, Dr. Doom Hidden missles on point with Sentinel assist spam. WHAT DO I DO? I just end up eating chip damage until I get hit then eat a huge combo. I literally lost 6 matches in a row to one guy and that's ALL HE DID. I felt like the most useless player ever.

I'll be honest I just wanna chat with someone about this game, because it really just seems like an unfair 'let's exploit as much as you while ignoring it's supposed to be a fighting game, not an assist glitching contest.", or am I just missing the point? I keep wanting to just get rid of the game but it's SO MUCH FUN when you do well, just so fucking horrible when you don't. There is absolutely ZERO fun when you're fighting someone with skill, you just play a game of 'how long can I block before I die', and I don't feel any more experienced or skilled for having played, just feel useless and retarded, which doesn't happen with any other fighting game.

WHY DO I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME THAT PISSES ME OFF, FRUSTRATES ME, AND GETS ME INSULTED SO MUCH

zlatko

Banned
<3 Storm and Nova is bananas.

Storm
Nova
Doom

Nova
Taskmaster
Hawkeye

Nova
Doom
Hawkeye

Nova
Hawkeye
Wesker

Those are the teams I fully support for dat Nova swag. The combo extensions and damage you can get from hidden missiles is nuts. Of course Nova and Task synergy is awesome stuff as well. Finally...Wesker. He goes with everything.

Nova > all. :D

Nikashi

Banned
You know what, fuck it, I'm learning Wesker. I wanted to play a team that wasn't just tier whoring but I'm sick of losing, I'll just throw in wesker as my new anchor, and change my point to someone else since Nova can't throw down to the ground more than once per combo.

I'm honestly upset I have to choose characters I REALLY FUCKING HATE to have a chance, so much so that if it turns out my issue was just not picking 'viable' characters, I'll drop the game till it's more balanced, or just drop it entirely. I was looking forward to this game for years and I'm really really disappointed that 1. I can't play the game without essentially sacrificing what I find fun about it, and 2. Everyone else seems to LOVE the fact that the game is unfair and broken, and it's my fault for expecting anything else.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Congrats to Beef. Won $20 PSN points and becomes a mod.

Degen also did well. He was blowing up Beef at various times and was ahead for 3/4 of the duration.

Now that it's over. PSN lobby will be up for a while. Couple of hours.

Thanks to everyone who tuned in.

I'm willing to give some advice, but what's your team?

For Q1: The limits are 1 ground bounce, 1 wall bounce, and as many OTGs as you want before HSD lets no combos continue. The reason Nova can't do more than 1 usually is because Nova Smash (F+H, the overhead) ground bounces, and that's usually what he uses for relaunching. You can use Centurion Rush L (full screen OTG) as many times as hitstun deterioration will allow, but Nova Smash only once during a combo - otherwise they will roll out just like you were saying.

Certain things can get around the ground bounce limit, like a Katanarama assist or even Nova's Centurion Rush M assist.

Wesker Hyper does randomly cross up. One of its "features." Not much more to be said about it.

3: look for a hole, because it's there. Gotta know your team for better info, haha. There's a lot of recovery period on both of those moves, and Sent is a huge target, so make him pay for calling them so much.

As for the rest: don't get mad at this game. Just laugh it off, you'll feel much better about it. Most times I'm losing, I enjoy the combo video, or laugh at how I got opened up by something so dumb/so good. It makes it easier to swallow. That's not to say don't try to improve from your losses though. Just try to do better next time.

Take it game by game, you'll be fine.

PS: there are a lot of dicks in this game, particularly with less advanced players. Just roll with it and laugh it off. Lag is lag, and that sucks though - can't say much when people rage over that (because I do T_T).

You can give 'er up if you want to, but if your team has decent or better synergy, they've probably got at least some boons you can abuse. Every character in the game has at least one thing to offer.

zlatko

Banned
You know what, fuck it, I'm learning Wesker. I wanted to play a team that wasn't just tier whoring but I'm sick of losing, I'll just throw in wesker as my new anchor, and change my point to someone else since Nova can't throw down to the ground more than once per combo.

I'm honestly upset I have to choose characters I REALLY FUCKING HATE to have a chance, so much so that if it turns out my issue was just not picking 'viable' characters, I'll drop the game till it's more balanced, or just drop it entirely. I was looking forward to this game for years and I'm really really disappointed that 1. I can't play the game without essentially sacrificing what I find fun about it, and 2. Everyone else seems to LOVE the fact that the game is unfair and broken, and it's my fault for expecting anything else.

If you go Nova, Doom, Wesker, then you can indeed throw down to the ground more than once with hidden missiles.

You can do a standard combo of jump h, stand M, stand H, launch, air m, air m, air h, fly, air m, air m, air h, launch to ground, mash on doom assist on the way down, forward + H to OTG, launch, air m, air m, air h, (missles will be hitting), launch back to ground, do shoryuken + light, then shoryuken hyper for Nova force.

Doing that standard ass combo anywhere on screen will net you 1 bar, so if you ever have 1 bar at least, do the combo, then DHC to doom after nova force for his up ball hyper, you will do more than 900K damage which will have killed most of the games cast.

Nova dies? No problem you got Doom who is hella good with a free OTG assist with wesker for some fancy pants damage and combos. If Doom and Nova die, well then you have Jesus Christ 9000 AKA Wesker to mop up shop.

That team in the right hands is hella good.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll post the whole thing tomorrow in all it's glory.

All GAF grudge matches are first to ten unless both parties agree on a different number.

Nikashi

Banned
It's just so... honest.

Aka "LOL LOOK AT THE SALTY NUB"? :p

And my current team WAS Nova/Frank/Deadpool only because I happened to know what I was doing with them, but that was the only reason, I didn't want to have to learn an ENTIRELY NEW character or in this case possibly 2. I ALSO hate that being good with a few characters means NOTHING unless those specific characters all work together properly :/

I'm insulted that people just drop in and say "I'm learning Wesker now", shove him on anchor without thinking twice and assume they're going to start winning matches. Maybe if you're having problems, you should work on improving your weaknesses instead of bitching about the game.

And my current team WAS Nova/Frank/Deadpool only because I happened to know what I was doing with them, but that was the only reason, I didn't want to have to learn an ENTIRELY NEW character or in this case possibly 2. I ALSO hate that being good with a few characters means NOTHING unless those specific characters all work together properly :/

Dude, it's a damn TEAM GAME. STRATEGY IS THE WHOLE POINT. It's not even like you're using bad characters. Wesker is REALLY not going to win for you with that team.

I'm insulted that people just drop in and say "I'm learning Wesker now", shove him on anchor without thinking twice and assume they're going to start winning matches. Maybe if you're having problems, you should work on improving your weaknesses instead of bitching about the game.

If it works, it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom