• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
you people can call zero the best character in the game but i hardly see any on ranked.
Do I really need to explain why a character who requires some dexterity to be played effectively can't get by with lag-friendly ABC combos?

smurfx

get some go again
Do I really need to explain why a character who requires some dexterity to be played effectively can't get by with lag-friendly ABC combos?
yeah i know that's a lot of the reason plus his lower health. i can do a lot of fancy stuff with zero in training mode but that all goes out the window in ranked. i can't do the buster shot lighting cancels at all. a lot of it is also my stupid pad that keeps giving me the wrong inputs. these madcatz pads have always given me problems trying to do srk motions. which sucks since both zero and haggar both use the srk motions a lot. does your saturn pad give you accurate srk motions?

Dahbomb

you people can call zero the best character in the game but i hardly see any on ranked.
LOL online play.

If you want online tier list it's this:

SSS (I am your fucking god tier) : Wesker
S+ : Any character with a sword and teleport
S- : Any character with a teleport
A+ : Any character with super armor moves or high priority ground bounce moves or dive kick like moves
A- : Any character with instant full screen hypers (invincible hypers also apply)

B : Most other characters

C : Any character that requires high execution to play

smurfx

get some go again
LOL online play.

If you want online tier list it's this:

SSS (I am your fucking god tier) : Wesker
S+ : Any character with a sword and teleport
S- : Any character with a teleport
A+ : Any character with super armor moves or high priority ground bounce moves or dive kick like moves
A- : Any character with instant full screen hypers (invincible hypers also apply)

B : Most other characters

C : Any character that requires high execution to play
you don't see many zero's in tournaments either.

Dahbomb

you don't see many zero's in tournaments either.
Zero play in tournaments has been on the rise now. SCR had more Zeros in top 16/top 8 than ever before. More prominent players are switching to Zero or at least playing him on a team to download him/get match up practice. Hell I myself have put Zero on my main team now and am firmly in the bandwagon. I think I have all match ups covered on my team by having Zero/Vergil/Hawkeye on it.

I don't think there is a top player out there who doesn't seriously consider Zero as either the best in the game or top 5.

Also playing Zero without using Buster into Lightning? That's like playing Wesker without his gun shot teleports or command throws.

dahbomb's list is pretty much exactly how tournaments play out as well.
Iron Fist won a major tournament so no.

Smurf: I'll add ya tomorrow sometime, gotta clean my list out somewhat. Can't believe there's still a friend limit on Live.

Online tier list is missing GREEN TIER. Hulk, Skrull and even Doom a little bit go upwards online. Zero's sword too :D

Hell, if you're green in any Capcom fighter you go up online nowadays. Shoutouts to Blanka.

Stealth edit: Ah, ground bounce tier = green tier.

Sixfortyfive

You know Hawkeye's easy-peasy Gimlet > XFC > Gimlet full-screen punish? Did you know that it's possible to activate XF before the first Gimlet even hits, giving you the damage boost for both arrows? It's a pretty tight window, though. Depending on distance, it can be as short as a 1-frame link to get it out in time. I can consistently hit it at full-screen about 95% of the time against the AI. Online, though? LOL

Getting some daily venting out of the way. Why does nobody in this fucking city play this game except me...

yeah i know that's a lot of the reason plus his lower health. i can do a lot of fancy stuff with zero in training mode but that all goes out the window in ranked. i can't do the buster shot lighting cancels at all. a lot of it is also my stupid pad that keeps giving me the wrong inputs. these madcatz pads have always given me problems trying to do srk motions. which sucks since both zero and haggar both use the srk motions a lot. does your saturn pad give you accurate srk motions?
The only input I regularly fuck up is the tiger knee motion, and this is because I'm just lazy about riding the edges of the d-pad to get it out consistently.

That's not true because of Tron and She Hulk.

Those poor girls. *Pours out liquor for Jenny especially* With the new HSD and maybe some reduced damage I don't think old Shulkie would be too broke. Dem rapid c.L's can beat it though, caught me every time :p

I don't miss the "I don't need to block" assist from Tron though, but I hope they eventually help her out too. I'm sure she has some stuff to unlock, but her point game will probably still need help.

Green-man tier then to accomodate my post, hahaha. Pretty spot-on otherwise though.

You know Hawkeye's easy-peasy Gimlet > XFC > Gimlet full-screen punish? Did you know that it's possible to activate XF before the first Gimlet even hits, giving you the damage boost for both arrows? It's a pretty tight window, though. Depending on distance, it can be as short as a 1-frame link to get it out in time. I can consistently hit it at full-screen about 95% of the time against the AI? Online, though? LOL

Nice find - definitely impossible online though, lol. Isn't Gimlet 1-frame post super-flash? Can't see me doing it consistently if they're anything closer than 3/4s of the screen.

Sixfortyfive

Nice find - definitely impossible online though, lol. Isn't Gimlet 1-frame post super-flash? Can't see me doing it consistently if they're anything closer than 3/4s of the screen.
Gimlet's hitbox becomes active on the very first frame after the freeze, but it still takes some time for it to reach the opposite side of the screen. This is why it's possible to avoid it at all in the first place, obviously.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...dcatz-fightpad-internal-external-mods.109309/

You might want to try this. Alternatively you can throw that Madcatz pad to the garbage bin and get a Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro, which is a proper pad for fighting games.

Dahbomb

Yeah I knew about that Gimlet XFC trick. Only worth trying from large distances away.

I also know that most power up hypers can evade it completely. Hawkeye can't randomly Gimlet the Sparda twins when they are on the ground because they can just Devil Trigger into teleport. You can also raw tag to evade the Gimlet. It's really only best to use Gimlet when they are in the air and have committed to an action.

Getting to the point where I'm angry even when I win. Time to put the game down for the night.

I'm pretty sure the #1 rank on H&H is boosting. I don't buy a ~50% win rate with a 54-game win streak. He also seems to play only H&H, yet I've never run into him even during the times when his score is steadily increasing.
today was the longest session of umvc3 i've had. had to stop because i was getting the wesker blues. god damn like every freaking team is using him. its pretty much wesker/doom/virgil/spencer. all other characters i see are pretty much assists for those characters. you people can call zero the best character in the game but i hardly see any on ranked.
I'm surprised it took you guys so long to start feeling that way. The game generates some massive amounts of salt.

Do the usual teams change between modes?
Iron Fist won a major tournament so no.
I consider that more of an anomaly until Justin wins or gets top 3 in another couple of majors again. He is good, but can Iron Fist really take someone to EVO? I don't know about that...
Getting some daily venting out of the way. Why does nobody in this fucking city play this game except me...
People are probably caught up in a whole bunch of other games. It'll probably be worse next year with all the fighting games that come out.

Not that UMvC3 is a bad game or anything.

Dahbomb

Justin will pretty much get top 3 in various majors until EVO because he's Justin.

He is certainly betting on IF all the way to EVO. If that happens I think that would be the lowest tier character ever to win an EVO.

Which leads me to ask the question... which is a character that is the lowest in tier rankings to have won EVO?

The game generates some massive amounts of salt.
The salt is addicting. I have had longer sessions of Marvel than I have had with any other game. I think DOTA/HON come close or surpass it but I can't recall my longest session ever.

Now those games generate a massive fuck ton of salt. No matter what happens in those games... 5 people end up being salty all the time unless it's a really epic game where everyone played flawlessly which rarely happens. I always wondered the hilarious salt that would overflow is Marvel was an actual team game. Like imagine if ChrisG and Noel Brown are on the same team and Noel uses his assist character at the wrong time and gets him killed... WILL SOMEONE PLEASE GET A BUCKET FOR ALL THE SALT?

We have a really dirty joke from our HON session regarding salt. It originated during an epic Annihilation by a Gladiator player. For those that don't know, Gladiator from HON has a ton of quotes directly from the movie. A match was lost thanks to Rift Shard plus Whip critical hit on back stab of Assassin Shroud... 5 people died and ended the game on rage quit. We gathered back for the pop off and during the salt flow someone said really loud "THE SALT... SOMETIMES IT MAKES THE DICK STICK!" We all laughed out and now whenever someone gets salty we have to shout out the line.

Good times.

Justin will pretty much get top 3 in various majors until EVO because he's Justin.
Probably true, but this is not vanilla. New tech will develop and it may put a damper on his plans. IF is good, but I don't see any hidden strategies or tech that makes him better other than having amazing fundamentals and baiting skills.
He is certainly betting on IF all the way to EVO. If that happens I think that would be the lowest tier character ever to win an EVO.
IF is mid tier at worst. I think he may be tied with Hakumen from BBCS2 in that case. Hakumen is sorta in that void between being really good and solid in BBCS2 which is probably IF's situation.
Which leads me to ask the question... which is a character that is the lowest in tier rankings to have won EVO?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_Championship_Series

I don't know exactly because I don't know much about characters outside Capcom/ASW, but I'll say this...

Eddie, SFIII Yun/Chun Li and the MvC2 gods were broke as fuck. Also, Psylocke's popularity blew the fuck up in 2005 haha.

Smash may have had the most character variety too lol.

Edit: Zangief might've been the lowest one in SFII HD remix...
The salt is addicting. I have had longer sessions of Marvel than I have had with any other game. I think DOTA/HON come close or surpass it but I can't recall my longest session ever.
The salt makes me not want to play this game, but I've never played DOTA/HON so...
Now those games generate a massive fuck ton of salt. No matter what happens in those games... 5 people end up being salty all the time unless it's a really epic game where everyone played flawlessly which rarely happens. I always wondered the hilarious salt that would overflow is Marvel was an actual team game. Like imagine if ChrisG and Noel Brown are on the same team and Noel uses his assist character at the wrong time and gets him killed... WILL SOMEONE PLEASE GET A BUCKET FOR ALL THE SALT?
We may have to hire bouncers who carry axes in that scenario.

Dahbomb

Yeah I don't know about the tier lists for Smash and CVS2. The winners for Tekken, SC, MVC2/3, SF4, SSF4 are all high to top tier characters.

The most hilarious thing was seeing Jin dominance in Tekken 4 at EVO. My god I had forgotten how stupidly broken that character was. Man that game was ass... they couldn't even balance with such a small roster. I literally stopped playing that game when I learned about him. It took some strength to come back to Tekken 5.

V_Arnold

I really do not want to turn this thread into a spiritual conversation thread...
BUT.

But. A few days ago I was in quite a good shape against one of my friends who is a REALLY strong player, always punishing my mistakes and choosing the most damaging combos. Hell, I even felt good about the whole thing. Then, a day later, I was again in horrible shape. 1-22 horrible. Or 1-30. I was so salty that I started trash talking (not the hard way, no name calling, just little salt springs flowing in the game on Party chat :D) Everyone was laughing of course, but I was really sad that all this happened because I gave up being mad overall a few months ago, and I could hold on to that even in UMVC3.

But this was different. Well, whatever, right? I did my daily meditation session at around 11pm that night... and it was so energizing that I really, really felt like giving UMVC3 another try, hoping that this happiness and energy translates into something more good than trash talking and salt factory.

And it did! My friend was online and we did another 30 game - the result was a 9-21 for him, but I was so happy all the time, I could have literally laugh the whole session off - which I did not, obviously. I get to play the game in a really different perspective. And the end result is that this game is so amazing, so incredible, so rewarding and fun - and all it takes to realize it even if you are losing if to just sit back, relax, and enjoy how amazingly well-crafted the combos are that are "killing" "your" characters. Then you will appreciate the game fully even when you lose.

Not to mention that you will literally laugh every time when you call an assist in against something that is capable of punishing that AND if there is an X-factor with him as well :D

Frantic

Honestly, for me, the salt generally only comes when I screw something up. Like where I hold up back when I shouldn't and get clipped with a low, or where I call an assist when I'm blocking something and get them killed, or I push a button against Hulk at the wrong time. Really, it's my own stupid mistakes that make me saltiest. I can't get salty over all the bullshit this game has - there's just too much that I just can't mentally keep up with it all. :p

Plus, my team is made of bullshit. I'd be a hypocrite if I got salty. :p

Burning Water

Neo Member
Honestly, for me, the salt generally only comes when I screw something up. Like where I hold up back when I shouldn't and get clipped with a low, or where I call an assist when I'm blocking something and get them killed, or I push a button against Hulk at the wrong time. Really, it's my own stupid mistakes that make me saltiest. I can't get salty over all the bullshit this game has - there's just too much that I just can't mentally keep up with it all. :p

Plus, my team is made of bullshit. I'd be a hypocrite if I got salty. :p

Basically this, except when I know I input something and it doesn't come out because of netcode. That's when I OD on NaCL.

Also, anybody know some good rushdown Morrigan players I can watch while I'm at work?

Bizazedo

I really don't think a lot of people care about ranked in this game. At least, not nearly as many as in SF to find good fights, anyways.

As for Zero....you've felt my Zero in the Kadey lobby :). He's an insane character.

Really, I honestly believe they need to revert one part of his lightning buffs back. Being able to cancel into Buster, I'll be selfish and want, but the fact that he now goes behind you when you're in the corner is too much imo.

Didn't work like that in vanilla.

Ugh, I need to get out of Blood Bowl and participate again with you guys.

Dahbomb

I think that Lightning move change was to prevent a particular loop in the corner. The funny part is that he can still do something similar and now the Lightning thing is one of the best mix ups on in coming character.

The first thing that needs to be corrected for Zero is his special damage scaling. It's at 30% which is higher than most characters (on par with Viper). It should be scaled back to Dante's level in UMVC3. After that they just need to fix a few problems with Lightning -> Buster cross ups/mix ups, I still believe the first part should disappear as soon as the Buster is released it shouldn't remain active while Zero is free to do whatever. After that they just need to shave off a few frames on his actives and he would be fine.

He would still be super good of course but not overwhelming anymore.

Burning Water

Neo Member
I think that Lightning move change was to prevent a particular loop in the corner. The funny part is that he can still do something similar and now the Lightning thing is one of the best mix ups on in coming character.

The first thing that needs to be corrected for Zero is his special damage scaling. It's at 30% which is higher than most characters (on par with Viper). It should be scaled back to Dante's level in UMVC3. After that they just need to fix a few problems with Lightning -> Buster cross ups/mix ups, I still believe the first part should disappear as soon as the Buster is released it shouldn't remain active while Zero is free to do whatever. After that they just need to shave off a few frames on his actives and he would be fine.

He would still be super good of course but not overwhelming anymore.

Is that where it looks like he shoots lightning? Cuz that shit's bullshit.

heroes and heralds makes any character viable, amirite
come back solar, you can be top tier like everyone else
What would Hsien-ko's ultimate Multiple Man deck be?

I imagine Mephisto + some other regen card to let her Rimoukon as much as possible while on point.

Degen

BANI9.png

sometime after 10:20pm EST tonight, we will determine who has the best SSF4 T. Hawk via UMvC3. Winner gets paid!

http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe

BURN!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna try and join the lobby again tonight. Haven't had the time recently.

I use Zero! I have not fought too many Zeros that used Max buster + lightning. Most people just use Jumping H and Max Buster and the Heavy Command Dash. I prefer jumping and doing M Dash cause it crosses them up if they are in the corner doing that jumping jamming on Light deal...

Yeah I don't know about the tier lists for Smash and CVS2. The winners for Tekken, SC, MVC2/3, SF4, SSF4 are all high to top tier characters.

The character variety was only varied at EVO Smash because of the allowance of items (which I was not against). Certain characters are broke as fuck with items (example: Ganondorf + green shell), while other normally top-tier characters don't really gain anything substantial (Metaknight). Without items, the (top)tier list for Smash goes (in order):

S: Metaknight
A: Diddy, Snake, Falco

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The only known recorded match of Degen and Beef in their eternal rivalry. This time in 3rd strike.
http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/293870548

Tonight will decide who is above the other. Only one can ascend to the upper echelon of fighting GAF.

Viewers get to choose what songs could be played during their matches. I don't care if you recommend Shania Twain, Celine Dion, etc.

Dahbomb

The character variety was only varied at EVO Smash because of the allowance of items (which I was not against). Certain characters are broke as fuck with items (example: Ganondorf + green shell), while other normally top-tier characters don't really gain anything substantial (Metaknight). Without items, the (top)tier list for Smash goes (in order):

S: Metaknight
A: Diddy, Snake, Falco
Those were old Smash games I was talking about.. not Brawl. Yeah I know Metaknight is SSSSS tier in Brawl (same tier as Sparda) and thus is banned.

But the item tidbit is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom