• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degen

Man, I just fought this really great Iron Man. Wow, he was great. Amazing, really. So much air dash technology. Great player, great player.

And then he got hit with L and was never seen or heard from again. Game ruined.™

Isn't advanced offense mostly just TACs and Snapbacks?
I thought it was, but apparently there's more to it because I never do either. It's probably from all the Ghost Rider spamming.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Oh yeah. Later tonight it's on.

RS4 and Tobe are replacements if need be.

Time to put the players on blast.

jqjRu.png

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I love it when your little junior characters put in all kinds of work to try and rush in and start the fanciest new combo you learned on Youtube, get tagged with an armored move for their effort and lose 900K on the spot because of LMHS MMHS Hyper DHC Hyper. "Lol" does not begin to describe it

and get this: the game says I have advanced offense. Advanced offense. aaaahahaha

Team Armor. Game ruined.™
You rarely have the meter to do that.

Just Saiyan.

Dahbomb

@Dahbomb, I don't think I've ever seen you mention it, but how do you feel about the Dante vs Zero matchup?
Used to be in favor of Dante in MVC3. Like around 6-4. This is due to invincible Hammer, better damage output, better priority on moves. Zero didn't have Lightning edge which meant that Zero either had to play a Buster game or had to actually get in to perform mix ups. Dante is a threat to Zero when he's jumping thanks to the tracking teleport meaning even Zero has to be careful. Both of their mix ups were/are some of the best, damage was always in Dante's favor.

Now the roles are reversed. No longer Dante have Hammer meaning in some cases Zero can anti-air him and get underneath him. Damage output of Dante is nerfed... Dante actually struggles to kill Zero whereas Zero easily kills Dante. Lightning -> Buster -> Lightning means that Zero has insane space control and mid screen mix ups, air dash nerf means Dante has to be more cautious about approaching. Normal hit priority and pushback nerf on Dante also puts it in more favor of Zero. Dante's mix ups remained sort of the same, Zero's got better. On the ground at close proximity Zero has Dante beat. Still though Zero can't easily get in on Dante thanks to all the stuff he can fill the screen with.

It's about even in Ultimate but I would give the favor to Zero slightly. The dynamics of the fight change drastically depending upon X Factor on deck, meter on deck, Devil Trigger vs Sogenmu, assist selection and even life lead. Like if Dante has more meter and the life lead... I would give the edge to him since he can play super lame with Devil Trigger plus Air Raid, multi-dashes and Vortex.

zlatko

Banned
So with rule #8... if I start my team as Nova/hawkeye/wesker, and I won, would I have to change it to Hawkeye or Wesker for the next game, then I could go back to Nova as point, or am I missing something?

Bizazedo

So with rule #8... if I start my team as Nova/hawkeye/wesker, and I won, would I have to change it to Hawkeye or Wesker for the next game, then I could go back to Nova as point, or am I missing something?

If your team is Nova / Hawkeye / Wesker and you win, your next match you can't use Nova. I am currently interpreting that you can use any team you want in the next match in any order, but Nova can't be a part of it.

If that NEXT team wins, Nova can return for your third match, but whatever point you used in that second match is now out for one match.

It basically means you'll need to know a minimum of four characters.

Also, lol at the bios.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If your team is Nova / Hawkeye / Wesker and you win, your next match you can't use Nova. I am currently interpreting that you can use any team you want in the next match in any order, but Nova can't be a part of it.

If that NEXT team wins, Nova can return for your third match, but whatever point you used in that second match is now out for one match.

Also, lol at the bios.

FUUUU! I will be so good with that royal battle. I hope that Kadey planning to host second one.

zlatko

Banned

Also, lol at the bios.

Ah alright fair enough. I built my team around Nova, so this will be a bit harder than I thought to keep a win streak going. I'll have to dig deep to find my extra character from the ones I mess around with.

Frantic

Used to be in favor of Dante in MVC3. Like around 6-4. This is due to invincible Hammer, better damage output, better priority on moves. Zero didn't have Lightning edge which meant that Zero either had to play a Buster game or had to actually get in to perform mix ups. Dante is a threat to Zero when he's jumping thanks to the tracking teleport meaning even Zero has to be careful. Both of their mix ups were/are some of the best, damage was always in Dante's favor.

Now the roles are reversed. No longer Dante have Hammer meaning in some cases Zero can anti-air him and get underneath him. Damage output of Dante is nerfed... Dante actually struggles to kill Zero whereas Zero easily kills Dante. Lightning -> Buster -> Lightning means that Zero has insane space control and mid screen mix ups, air dash nerf means Dante has to be more cautious about approaching. Normal hit priority and pushback nerf on Dante also puts it in more favor of Zero. Dante's mix ups remained sort of the same, Zero's got better. On the ground at close proximity Zero has Dante beat. Still though Zero can't easily get in on Dante thanks to all the stuff he can fill the screen with.

It's about even in Ultimate but I would give the favor to Zero slightly. The dynamics of the fight change drastically depending upon X Factor on deck, meter on deck, Devil Trigger vs Sogenmu, assist selection and even life lead. Like if Dante has more meter and the life lead... I would give the edge to him since he can play super lame with Devil Trigger plus Air Raid, multi-dashes and Vortex.
Alright, that's more or less how I feel... but there are some interesting things about the matchup most people don't know. I actually believe the fight is an even 5-5 and 6-4 in Dante's favor with Devil Trigger if you play the matchup right.

On a basic level, Dante wants to be on the ground the entire fight, because he has options that destroy Zero's aerial movement - more so than most characters. Dante can beat Lightning dashes on reaction with Twister. If Zero cancels into Buster to save himself, Twister will eat Buster and Dante can go into DT to make it safe from Zero's frame advantage/lightning bolts. Any of Zero's dives can be beaten by a Million Carats on reaction while also making Dante safe from any assist calls Zero can make, and leading to a full combo for Dante. Preemptive Acid Rain forces Zero to block a free mixup, acts as a combo breaker, and on hit will lead into a full combo. Jam Session can snipe Zero out of the air when he gets close. If Zero decides to hang around at the top corner of the screen spamming Busters, Dante can snipe him out of the air with Multilock.

None of these options are impossible for Zero to beat, naturally, but they can make his approach hell. The problem is Dante has much harder time starting up/maintaining his space control compared to Zero... but that's where Devil Trigger comes in. A Devil Trigger at the start of the round can force Zero to the other side of the screen allowing Dante to start up his superior space control. I honestly believe people play Dante wrong most of the time. You mention the pushback on his normals, but that is actually really good against Zero, because a simple ABC > Weasel Shot pushes Zero full screen on block without pushblock, which is what Dante wants. You can also call assists during Weasel Shot to create even more space control. And there are even more options Dante has that I haven't listed and am still working on.

People are still playing Dante like it's Vanilla - long combos, 'dat damage', and rushdown with airplay/hysterics mixed in. That's not how he's supposed to be played in Ultimate. He's about complete space control, bullying the other person from a distance, and then rushing down when they don't expect it. Dante has too many tools no one uses.

I just proved Kadey right with this post.[/dantefanboy]

Frantic or Bizazedo to take it.
Probably Biz or Smurf, tbh. They're more consistent than me.

naib

I just wanna say I really enjoy these streams. Lurk them pretty often.
I'm terrible at MvC but I enjoying playing vicariously. :D

I have gone Solar with this game. I haven't played in 2-3 weeks (or turned on my xbox really). I mostly blame the holidays, football, and the NBA starting again.

EVO selection show has got me hyped though. It's like the NCAA selection show!!

Azure J

Marvel GAF is best GAF. Those bios are amazing. That being said Frantic, you better take this one, if only because I sponsored you with early AzureJericho R&D in that Dante/Verg/Morrigan team. :p

Dahbomb

You can't really say the match up is in favor of Dante if he has DT on because the same is true for Zero and his Sogenmu. All his options are doubled and the second clone doesn't have a hurt box meaning at BEST you will be trading with him. Very few if any character have non meter options to shut down Sogenmu pressure. What you gonna do against quad lightning and double Busters + pizza slicers?

Zero enjoys the long range game as much as Dante does. You can attempt to beat out 5 frame Buster with special moves... but if you keep doing it eventually he will clip you with one and you eat a fat combo. He's safe when he uses it, that's why he's hard to beat. If he's not in a life lead... he can turn on Sogenmu and go ape shit.

The rest of the stuff I 100% agree with. Dante is not a rushdown character, he is a space control monster. And he's probably top 3 at that job, there is no area on the screen Dante can't fill up or touch. The options and tech you have posted is enlightening. I have to face Zero a lot with Vergil and it's a frustrating experience. I can beat him in the match up but I probably need to burn a meter or two (worth the investment IMO). Once he turns on Sogenmu... it's usually a dead Vergil for me unless I waste an additional bar for Storm Swords.

Also in terms of match ups... no one beats Vergil 1 on 1 when he has 2 bars... not fucking Dark Phoenix and not Ourouborus Strider. But again that's very situational so I don't really talk about it.

New Why We Hate You Episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_P2CDDGJOK4

LMAO @ "Top 8: The Movie featuring Wesker"

Bizazedo

The way it's set up could make it go a number of ways, it'll be pretty cool.

Like, say you have six players.

1. Nucky
2. Chalky
3. Commodore
4. Half-Face
5. Capone
6. Little Jimmy

Say Nucky is the best overall and everyone fears him, but Little Jimmy has his number. Jimmy wins almost every time. You can get into a situation where..

Nucky wins, Little Jimmy takes him out, and then Chalky offs Jimmy with authority. Chalky then goes on a tear until Nucky rolls around and takes him out....who is then immediately killed by Jimmy again.

Jimmy is, of course, then offed immediately by someone else.

If that repeats, even a few times, Nucky can be denied a sizeable win streak and others can build leads on him.

Everyone participating has a good shot just because of how their opponents can screw each other over.

Even 'lil Jimmy.

Frantic

You can't really say the match up is in favor of Dante if he has DT on because the same is true for Zero and his Sogenmu. All his options are doubled and the second clone doesn't have a hurt box meaning at BEST you will be trading with him. Very few if any character have non meter options to shut down Sogenmu pressure. What you gonna do against quad lightning and double Busters + pizza slicers?
True enough. If Sogenmu is out against plain Dante, that shit is scary... but in a battle between Devil Trigger and Sogenmu, I give the edge to Dante still for Vortex alone. It also last twice as long as Sogenmu, so Dante can ride it out Zero's Sogenmu much better than vice versa.

Zero enjoys the long range game as much as Dante does. You can attempt to beat out 5 frame Buster with special moves... but if you keep doing it eventually he will clip you with one and you eat a fat combo. He's safe when he uses it, that's why he's hard to beat. If he's not in a life lead... he can turn on Sogenmu and go ape shit.
True, however Dante can severly limit its uses from anywhere on screen, be it ground or air. It's less about beating Buster, and more about toning it down. There are only probably a handful of characters that can do that.

The rest of the stuff I 100% agree with. Dante is not a rushdown character, he is a space control monster. And he's probably top 3 at that job, there is no area on the screen Dante can't fill up or touch.
The fact he can control space so well while having a teleport is just absurd. Neo_G really loves his DMC characters.

The options and tech you have posted is enlightening.
I'm actually off-and-on writing a guide for Dante that goes over every thing there is to know about Dante, and am actively searching for new tech on my own so I've discovered a lot of stuff. For example, Million Carats can eat Dr. Doom's Plasma Beam assist on the first five or so frames, and any other projectile for that matter. It's a big ol' middle finger to any teleport mixup in the game. It can also be done on reaction to anyone's teleport. And it leads to a full combo. And this is only possible because of the removed Rekkas. Yup...

I have to face Zero a lot with Vergil and it's a frustrating experience. I can beat him in the match up but I probably need to burn a meter or two (worth the investment IMO). Once he turns on Sogenmu... it's usually a dead Vergil for me unless I waste an additional bar for Storm Swords.
I will burn everything I have to kill Zero. Everything. Five bars, x-factor... doesn't matter to me, I will use it all. lol.

Dahbomb

Why do summoned swords get 15 high priority beam points? That ain't right.
It's canon. Vergil's swords block/deflect projectiles in the game.

I'm actually off-and-on writing a guide for Dante that goes over every thing there is to know about Dante, and am actively searching for new tech on my own so I've discovered a lot of stuff. For example, Million Carats can eat Dr. Doom's Plasma Beam assist on the first five or so frames, and any other projectile for that matter. It's a big ol' middle finger to any teleport mixup in the game. It can also be done on reaction to anyone's teleport. And it leads to a full combo. And this is only possible because of the removed Rekkas. Yup...
I would read it for sure. Good luck on the Marvel-GAF online match session.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Because he's the son of Sparda. He's special that way.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/298426_10150324884428762_30448713761_7727411_1868533320_n.jpg[IMG]

His actual quote in the game when he bodies you.[/QUOTE]

HOW DOES VERGIL'S BUTTHOLE TASTE GEEZ

[spoiler]I kid, I kid[/spoiler]

Dahbomb

FC Jago doing the classic fuzzy guard teleport set up with Vergil + Akuma on in coming characters while locking them down with Round Trip. Seen at the very end of the video.

Frantic

Dahbomb said:
I would read it for sure. Good luck on the Marvel-GAF online match session.
Haha, thanks. I'm probably barely fifteen percent through the guide, but it's been enlightening. Makes me really stop and go 'wow, this is some serious bullshit.'

Man, but beams, too? It also means it beats projectile-negating attacks.
It's a super. You gotta give 'em high durability, bro.

I have gone Solar with this game. I haven't played in 2-3 weeks (or turned on my xbox really). I mostly blame the holidays, football, and the NBA starting again.

EVO Selection show? This is my first year really following the fighting game scene and stuff, what is this?

Grecco

EVO Selection show? This is my first year really following the fighting game scene and stuff, what is this?

Its no show or anything. Keits is recording his SRK podcast tonight, and they will have the announcement of the games at Evo 2012. Since its kind of a big deal the actual recording of the podcast will be on the srk twitch chanel i think tonight. Its still just a podcast.

I think anyways unless im mistaken.

Anyways

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
True enough. If Sogenmu is out against plain Dante, that shit is scary... but in a battle between Devil Trigger and Sogenmu, I give the edge to Dante still for Vortex alone. It also last twice as long as Sogenmu, so Dante can ride it out Zero's Sogenmu much better than vice versa.

I don't think that DT leads to the mixups or free entry that Sougenmu does. Yeah, Vortex is invincible, but it's easy to anticipate and block. You can use Vortex to get inside, and make it safe with a fly cancel, but the you're still in the air against Zero... but Zero will beat all of your options coming down with his normals. And can't Zero still build meter is Sougenmu? Once Sougenmu is active, and Zero's close, there's so much glowing shit and ponytail blades on my screen that I can't see anything.

I agree that DT is underutilized by a lot of Dante players, but so is Sougenmu. And if DT acts like an equalizer or advantage for Dante, Sougenmu evens out the playing field more.

I haven't really explored double airdash or triple jump in DT, though, so I don't know what that potential holds. I imagine you'll just get s.H'd.

Azure J

Haha, thanks. I'm probably barely fifteen percent through the guide, but it's been enlightening. Makes me really stop and go 'wow, this is some serious bullshit.'

I'm definitely down to read/watch this whenever it goes up. Dante is the first fighting game character that excited me just because of how many different options he has, and learning to use all of them efficiently sounds like fun times.

I'm not really hyped about this game in regards to EVO. We all know this game, 2012 and SCV are locks. There is a ton of controversy surrounding Skullgirls, Mortal Kombat, KOF and SFxTekken though.

Who knows about BlazBlue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom