• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

YAY just gave my first exam in my final professional MBBS exam. 6 more to go within the month. First one went really well.

Too busy sending his next batch of death threats to Ninja Theory.
Why do people think I am the one sending death threats to NT? Someone called me out in the other thread too. I don't like the game but that's just low.

Yo Bomb, how's that Iron Man tutorial?
What IM tutorial?

Vergil is the very definition of A tier in the game. Anyone saying that he is lower than that is smoking some serious stuff that I want too.

Nevermind found the IM guide on SRK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyt_jGJ_YDg&feature=player_embedded

Going to watch this now. God damn at 40+ minute length. Why the hell isn't this on the front page of SRK?

Solune

That's a weird way to spell "at most, when I feel generous".

Anchor Vergil is some of the scariest shit in the game, 5 meters + Xfactor usually means a comeback. I won't get into specifics on point and such, Dahbomb can do a much better job than me.

Why do people think I am the one sending death threats to NT? Someone called me out in the other thread too. I don't like the game but that's just low.

Obviously joking.

Also holy shit at the salty sanford. Saying masta cj is complete ass. Also reiterating the umvc3 is ass.

smurfx

get some go again
but but it's offline play.

people can block offline.
now i don't feel so bad about getting destroyed by masta cj the other day. bum who was destroying really good players got beat pretty badly too by the same exact strategy.

edit: btw i heard dahbomb was caught sending death threats to ninja theory. what's up with that?

Dahbomb

Vergil is universally agreed to be the most optimum at the 2nd slot. You can play him on anchor if you like but you gotta have the resources for him. 2nd slot meaning you have powerful DHC options (for both safety and damage purposes), a solid assist option, stronger XF on deck for Vergil, more possible meter to work with and of course an assist for Vergil to get his ground mix up game going. Point Vergil works too but 2nd slot is his best slot by far.

I am only 13 minutes into the IM video the SJ hit confirms blew me away. I know there were people talking about in the SRK forum but the notations for the combos confused me a bit (didn't know when to delay). Seeing it in action and I definitely believe the claims that IM has superior hit confirms SJ height than Magneto.

Vergil is universally agreed to be the most optimum at the 2nd slot. You can play him on anchor if you like but you gotta have the resources for him. 2nd slot meaning you have powerful DHC options (for both safety and damage purposes), a solid assist option, stronger XF on deck for Vergil, more possible meter to work with and of course an assist for Vergil to get his ground mix up game going. Point Vergil works too but 2nd slot is his best slot by far.

I am only 13 minutes into the IM video the SJ hit confirms blew me away. I know there were people talking about in the SRK forum but the notations for the combos confused me a bit (didn't know when to delay). Seeing it in action and I definitely believe the claims that IM has superior hit confirms SJ height than Magneto.

What's the difference? You just jHS addf jHS, S with Magneto. Pretty much the same thing.

Dahbomb

What's the difference? You just jHS addf jHS, S with Magneto. Pretty much the same thing.
Iron Man can do it at longer ranges. Also you don't ADDF with IM you ADD.

The reset at 21 minute blew me away. STOLEN!!!! Along with the bunny hop hit confirm after a far short tri-dash. Still haven't finished the video yet.

Made it to 23-24 min resets.... :O :O :O
DAT ASS @ 24:11

El Sloth

Banned
This fool is still going.

Clearly we as a society need to immediately make the switch from oil to salt.

Edit:
Stream Chat said:
marlinpie: put the camera on sanford and place a health bar, we'll wait until noel does 100% health punch
Tears were shed.

Saltford is so fucking entertaining.

marlinpie: put the camera on sanford and place a health bar, we'll wait until noel does 100% health punch

mikerosstrollface0un4.gif

Dahbomb

Yeah, but Magneto's air throw is much better so he'd be trying to do it closer anyway. I don't see it.
Iron Man can get a combo off of most grabs anyway thanks to the new tri-dash. Also the point of the video was to show the aerial space control with IM while also showing SJ hit confirm from a defensive stand point. IM can't rushdown effectively enough to be within air grab range... hence the higher range on normals.

HAHA FlashMetroid got called out for being a fraud IM player at the end of the video.

Neki

How do I do that Storm combo Fanatiq always does, I think he does air Dash + j.H like 5 times? Every time I try that I can barely get like two out of them, is it a timing thing?

Anchor Vergil is some of the scariest shit in the game, 5 meters + Xfactor usually means a comeback. I won't get into specifics on point and such, Dahbomb can do a much better job than me.

5 meters plus x-factor usually means a comeback for most characters dude.

But 5 meters and x-factor is a means to cover Vergil's shortcomings (long recovery on normals aren't so long, the meter allows Vergil to cover himself and cancel out of whiffed attacks, allows him to get in where as no meter (no air dash etc.) wouldn't, whereas for other characters x-factor and high meter is a means to enhance their strength.

If Vergil ever -is- a threat on anyone's team (in competitive play, I don't know anyone who uses Vergil in high level tournament play where Vergil is their best) - but if Vergil were to be a particular players best character, he's X-factor guard cancel bait, free - so easy all day. It's so easy to confirm a x-factor roman cancel off of any of Vergil's slow as shit recovery normals. With abysmally low health, that's a dead Vergil. Especially after an advancing guard.

It's a fundamental oddity in Vergil's game in which he either needs assists and/or a copious amount of meter just to set himself up for the prospect to do damage, not even guaranteed damage, just the prospect of it. Moreover, the use of Spiral Swords invariably fucks combos up due to hit scaling and the like. And due to Vergil's poor defensive game, he now has to seemingly burn meter just as a means of defense to get people off of them.

Vergil's got some crazy strengths but has a lot of holes in his gameplay. And I think we're seeing a lot of these holes getting exposed in tournament play. Still an overall decent character though, but just consider how much meter Vergil needs to do his "thing" - when all that meter can be applied to another character for more reachable gains.

*waits for Dahbomb to tell the entire tournament competitive scene they aren't using Vergil right and he has the best Vergil that nobody has ever seen...*

=p Just kidding Dahbomb, don't send me any death threats.

Iron Man can get a combo off of most grabs anyway thanks to the new tri-dash. Also the point of the video was to show the aerial space control with IM while also showing SJ hit confirm from a defensive stand point. IM can't rushdown effectively enough to be within air grab range... hence the higher range on normals.

HAHA FlashMetroid got called out for being a fraud IM player at the end of the video.

Exactly, which is why I'm saying they have about the same effectiveness. They each suit their own styles.

Kimosabae

Banned
I haven't watched the Iron Man vid yet, but I can't help but think there's going to be a lot of shattered optimism after people watch that vid and start jumping on the bandwagon.

How do I do that Storm combo Fanatiq always does, I think he does air Dash + j.H like 5 times? Every time I try that I can barely get like two out of them, is it a timing thing?

You have to go into Fly after the first two.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yea, i'm pretty sure it's: whatever , H, Fly, j.L, j.H, adf, j.H, etc. You have to be careful though, because characters float so high, it's easy for them to get knocked out of it.

Frantiq also does something with a lightning sphere, but I'm unsure of the notation for that particular combo.

Ok so this is an old concept that I've had since vanilla, but I thought I'd run the frame data again now that Wesker has a permanent speed boost. Characters that can't interrupt a blocked Gunshot -> teleport into command grab. A blocked gunshot teleport is -5. These characters have no safe or consistent way to deal with blocked raw gunshot other than up back:

Arthur(6 frame jabs)
Chris(6 frame jabs)
Dante
Dormammu(6 frame jab)
Ghost Rider
Frank West(6 frame jabs)
Phoenix Wright(6 frame jab)
Super Skrull(6 frame jabs)

Wow, not as many characters as I thought, pretty much just Dante and Ghost Rider. Everyone else can punish it, I'm not sure what happens if you mash a 6-frame move, though. So basically everybody but those two characters knows what to do against anchor Wesker when he runs out of x-factor. I was really hoping it would be more characters so I could come up with more interesting assist uses but oh well.

LakeEarth

Wow, playing a defensive Nemesis really makes a big difference. Floe definitely knows whats up. I'm the type to attack attack attack, but I faced off against this Storm player who was just going nuts with the mixups and I couldn't get anything going. After losing 8 straight I played super defensive and suddenly I won a bunch of games straight.

I basically jump back a lot and jumping down fierce (tentacle) and Hawkeye arrows right after. If the tentacle hits, the arrows give you the time to dash forward and continue the combo. If they try to get under you, change up to his jumping H (giant hitbox splash).

He was really good though. Using Morrigan assist to hailstorm like mad.

Frantic

Ok so this is an old concept that I've had since vanilla, but I thought I'd run the frame data again now that Wesker has a permanent speed boost. Characters that can't interrupt a blocked Gunshot -> teleport into command grab. A blocked gunshot teleport is -5. These characters have no safe or consistent way to deal with blocked raw gunshot other than up back:

Arthur(6 frame jabs)
Chris(6 frame jabs)
Dante
Dormammu(6 frame jab)
Ghost Rider
Frank West(6 frame jabs)
Phoenix Wright(6 frame jab)
Super Skrull(6 frame jabs)

Wow, not as many characters as I thought, pretty much just Dante and Ghost Rider. Everyone else can punish it, I'm not sure what happens if you mash a 6-frame move, though. So basically everybody but those two characters knows what to do against anchor Wesker when he runs out of x-factor. I was really hoping it would be more characters so I could come up with more interesting assist uses but oh well.
Arthur has a way to deal with this, bro. Just stand there and do nothing. Bullet right over his head.

El Sloth

Banned
Huh. Someone once told me that Arthur had one of the fastest cr.L's in the game. Guess I should really look into getting the guide instead of believing scuttlebutt.

Wow, playing a defensive Nemesis really makes a big difference. Floe definitely knows whats up. I'm the type to attack attack attack, but I faced off against this Storm player who was just going nuts with the mixups and I couldn't get anything going. After losing 8 straight I played super defensive and suddenly I won a bunch of games straight.

I basically jump back a lot and jumping down fierce (tentacle) and Hawkeye arrows right after. If the tentacle hits, the arrows give you the time to dash forward and continue the combo. If they try to get under you, change up to his jumping H (giant hitbox splash).

He was really good though. Using Morrigan assist to hailstorm like mad.

My bro-in-law uses Nemesis, and if I don't have the common sense not to let the auto pilot take over, those damn tentacles wreck me.

LakeEarth

Tentacle is also great for H&H mode if you make a "normals chip" deck. Problem is that a chipping strategy is ruined by Fin Fang Foom or by a Luke Cage / Sabertooth insta-heal deck.

Tobe

Seven, actually. That armor is pretty heavy and all.

Ammy and Dark Phoenix are the only two characters with 3 frame normals as far as I'm aware - s.L in Ammy's case and cr.L in Phoenix's.

is jean in general, not just dark phoenix mode as i recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom