• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Kadey's stream works perfectly here, it's just when I accidentally leave it on while playing things get funky.

Frantic

Just came up with a Deadpool combo that uses his grenade mid-combo. Not the most damaging combo, but looks cool.

El Sloth said:
Everyone should momentarily switch to Beard's avatar for OT2.
lol, best idea ever.

El Sloth

Banned
Should it be a 24 hour switch or do you guys wanna go for the long troll and go a whole week?
Change the whole avatar, or just superimpose the face from the avatar over the faces on our own? :p
Well, I'll be doing the former since I would just do a shitty job superimposing his avatar over mine.

Either is fine for All our Beards are God's Beard day.

Dahbomb

Oh shit the thread is moving to CT... and I don't even have a tier list up yet. :(

Since SRK is actually making a compiled tier now I posted mine. Because people here get aneurysms over them, I have spoiler tagged them so people don't have a hissy fit.

S Tier (Top)

Zero, Viper, Wesker, Dante

A+ Tier (Near Top)

Dormammu, Doom, Magneto, Firebrand, Vergil, Hawkeye, Felicia, Wolverine, Spencer, Trish, Phoenix (Jean Grey), Strider

A Tier (High)

Nova, Taskmaster, Dr Strange, Morrigan, Spider Man, X-23, Jill, Super Skrull, Deadpool, Akuma, Frank West, Storm, Amaterasu

B Tier (Mid)

Ryu, Captain America, Hulk, Haggar, Sentinel, Ghost Rider, MODOK, Chris, Thor, She Hulk, Iron Man, Iron Fist, Shuma Gorath, Viewtiful Joe, Rocket Raccoon, Arthur, Nemesis

C Tier (Low)

Tron, Hsien Ko, Chun Li

F Tier (Worst)

Phoenix Wright

S to A are tournament staples or SHOULD be tournament staples based on their strengths. B are veritable competitive characters but require to be in proper teams to avoid obscene match up problems. Some B tiers can actually own characters in the A's (like Ghost Rider vs Wolverine), they are in B tier because some match ups they really have few options against despite even having strong assists on deck. C tier are there because they are definitely worse than most of the characters in the game and within just these 3 Chun Li is the better of them and could be B to B- tier with high execution. Phoenix Wright IMO is the worst in the game... he might as well not be in the roster.

Tier lists are for FUN... I think all characters are great have something to say. At anything below the highest level... you shouldn't even consider character strength (which applies to 99% of people playing the game). With smart team construction, smart play you can win any match and that's the bottom line. Except that one character I listed specially.

Dahbomb

He probably IS better than that. My list does account for some practicality and execution for a character.

His rushdown isn't as good as it was first assumed. His rocket skates are unsafe, teleports are unsafe and a lot of his mobility options aren't as good as they look. Normals are garbage outside of j.S and a couple of others. His ability to confirm a combo from air to air is EXTREMELY difficult. It is also fairly difficult to get consistent damage with him. His zoning isn't that great either, it takes considerable effort to keep people out with RR if you plan to play him that way because that laser gun has a very thin hit box.

He does have technology and cheap stuff plus some scare factor. Unreactable mix ups when up close, corner mix ups and unblockable set ups, trap/cross up set ups. Small hit box is annoying to deal with as always. I am sure he will probably go up with time once more practical approaches, spacing and combo options are explored for him. He's pretty much in the "?" tier for most though.

Very good tier list. The only thing that I think should change is that morrigan and pheonix should switch places. Also chris should be one tier higher.

Frantic

You know, I like your list Dahbomb. Nice balance of character 'potential' and character 'practicality'. Some things I disagree with, but overall it's pretty good.

Strider for S tier, man!

Oh shit the thread is moving to CT... and I don't even have a tier list up yet. :(

Since SRK is actually making a compiled tier now I posted mine. Because people here get aneurysms over them, I have spoiler tagged them so people don't have a hissy fit.

S Tier (Top)

Zero, Viper, Wesker, Dante

A+ Tier (Near Top)

Dormammu, Doom, Magneto, Firebrand, Vergil, Hawkeye, Felicia, Wolverine, Spencer, Trish, Phoenix (Jean Grey), Strider

A Tier (High)

Nova, Taskmaster, Dr Strange, Morrigan, Spider Man, X-23, Jill, Super Skrull, Deadpool, Akuma, Frank West, Storm, Amaterasu

B Tier (Mid)

Ryu, Captain America, Hulk, Haggar, Sentinel, Ghost Rider, MODOK, Chris, Thor, She Hulk, Iron Man, Iron Fist, Shuma Gorath, Viewtiful Joe, Rocket Raccoon, Arthur, Nemesis

C Tier (Low)

Tron, Hsien Ko, Chun Li

F Tier (Worst)

Phoenix Wright

S to A are tournament staples or SHOULD be tournament staples based on their strengths. B are veritable competitive characters but require to be in proper teams to avoid obscene match up problems. Some B tiers can actually own characters in the A's (like Ghost Rider vs Wolverine), they are in B tier because some match ups they really have few options against despite even having strong assists on deck. C tier are there because they are definitely worse than most of the characters in the game and within just these 3 Chun Li is the better of them and could be B to B- tier with high execution. Phoenix Wright IMO is the worst in the game... he might as well not be in the roster.

Tier lists are for FUN... I think all characters are great have something to say. At anything below the highest level... you shouldn't even consider character strength (which applies to 99% of people playing the game). With smart team construction, smart play you can win any match and that's the bottom line. Except that one character I listed specially.
I'll agree with everything except for Morrigan. She is solid mid tier now, but that is it. Anyone who knows how to block and has a good assist can shut her down. Traditional ground dash, buffs to Finishing shower and faster astral vision start up puts her up there right quick though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My entire team is Dahbomb Certified™ B Tier. D:

Or if Dahbomb knew how to order tier letters properly, C Tier :p

ReiGun

My main team is B/A+/A (Cap/Hawkeye/Strange), and my (possible) secondary team is B/A+/A+ (Cap/Vergil/Hawkeye). Feels good man.

DR2K

Banned
I told you guys months ago that Capcom would make sure that characters like RR and PW were going to be nothing but joke characters.

It's not even the recovery, his animations just have this weird rhythm to them that bothers me. Dante has huge frames on his moves, but the animation is super smooth.

It's probably attributed to the fact that Vergil has relatively fast start up on his moves (considering their range) but absurd recovery and relatively common active frames. It's very jerky by default.

Phoenix Wright IMO is the worst in the game... he might as well not be in the roster. [/spoiler]

Wow. Talk about ignorance. To say that Phoenix Wright doesn't even belong in the game at all is asinine. So what if Phoenix Wright is bottom tier worst character in the game. Big fucking deal. That only matters to a very small fraction of players. Seriously highly "competitive" players only make up a small number of the people who play this game. A lot of people wanted him in. There are a lot of people who think he is fun to play as and like his character.That is reason enough for his inclusion.

It's like YOU said "With smart team construction, smart play you can win any match and that's the bottom line." Phoenix Wright is most definitely included in this.

C'mon Dahbomb your better than this. It's fine too say things like PW is F tier and worst character in game but this is just childish.

Grecco

Wow. Talk about ignorance. To say that Phoenix Wright doesn't even belong in the game at all is asinine. So what if Phoenix Wright is bottom tier worst character in the game. Big fucking deal. That only matters to a very small fraction of players. Seriously highly "competitive" players only make up a small number of the people who play this game. A lot of people wanted him in. There are a lot of people who think he is fun to play as and like his character.That is reason enough for his inclusion.

It's like YOU said "With smart team construction, smart play you can win any match and that's the bottom line." Phoenix Wright is most definitely included in this.

C'mon Dahbomb your better than this. It's fine too say things like PW is F tier and worst character in game but this is just childish.

Its Dahbomb he enjoys trolling Wright fans, just like others like to troll him for being a Vergil fanbot :)

Also Cap America is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than mid tier. jmo

sephi22

Slashermcgirk, I dont think Dahbomb wants to imply that Nick is a waste of a slot or should be removed from the game. I think what he means is that Phoenix doesn't have anything unique that he adds to the game. Other characters like Hsien Ko have something that their really good at (dat assist) and Phoenix had that for a while, but now he doesn't have anything going for him.

I told you guys months ago that Capcom would make sure that characters like RR and PW were going to be nothing but joke characters.
But so much of what you say is BS that it's hard for me to take you seriously.
RR isn't bad. His big damage relies on loops that I find extremely hard to do. Phoenix wasn't a joke character till his assists got nerfed. Still, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you got 1 out of 2 correct.

Slashermcgirk, I dont think Dahbomb wants to imply that Nick is a waste of a slot or should be removed from the game. I think what he means is that Phoenix doesn't have anything unique that he adds to the game. Other characters like Hsien Ko have something that their really good at (dat assist) and Phoenix had that for a while, but now he doesn't have anything going for him.

But so much of what you say is BS that it's hard for me to take you seriously.
RR isn't bad. His big damage relies on loops that I find extremely hard to do. Phoenix wasn't a joke character till his assists got nerfed. Still, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you got 1 out of 2 correct.

1. He says this kinda stuff PW stuff all the time.

2. To anyone who thinks Wrights only good plan of attack was his abusing his near invincible assist is an idiot.

Azure J

Dahbomb's F tier could also be renamed to "Magikarp" tier as that suits Wright better than completely writing him off. Meanwhile, according to Dah's breakdown, I don't have one team that isn't packing an A tier member. Character loyalties paying off in spades
Poor Hsien-Ko ;_;
, especially with two of my all time favs in Dante & Zero. :lol

No, I don't mean anything with this, I enjoy everyone and love making things work versus easy mode-ing though things with a handful of "top tiers". And yeah, I like tier talk too, but more for seeing what people value in a character's play style versus others in a game.

Dahbomb

What I meant by saying "he might as well not be on the roster" means that he is not a consideration when you are practicing for tournaments or high level play. You don't need to learn to counter against the character or do something special against him. He is a great character for casual play of course. He doesn't have match up advantages. I am not saying he doesn't deserve to be in the game or that he's a waste of a slot... but that he is a non factor for competitive play as of this time.

He needs buffs badly.

Captain America is good for sure, probably A-/B+. He along with Chris, Ryu and a few others were on the borderline.

Tier lists are fine and fun/whatever, but I read them purely for entertainment value and to see what others think is strong. Dahbomb had it right when he said "with smart team construction, smart play you can win any match and that's the bottom line." For me, there's too much hivemind and flavor of the week stuff that goes into them, especially in a game so young.

Case in point: Morrigan. Ass -->Amazing because somebody actually took the time to put in work with her as opposed to the tier list writer doing it themselves. Nobody has the time to fully dev 50 characters in multiple setups to maximize their potential, but that's why individual tier lists (in a team game) are flaky at best IMO.

I don't think any team in this game should be categorized further than effective or not (and maybe a counter). Too many variables and combinations to be accounted for.

I think maybe 10-15 characters have been labbed well enough to be considered how good they are in the grand scheme of things. People are putting in work, but the nooks and crannies of each character have hardly been found.

All that said, I still will read them from people who seem grounded (like DahBomb (vergil aside :3 ) and Deviljin) to see their thoughts since thy seem to support them well, at least know some of the capabilities of most characters, and have a good to great understanding of the game mechanics. But still, grain of cocaine attached to every single one for me.

DR2K

Banned
But so much of what you say is BS that it's hard for me to take you seriously. RR isn't bad. His big damage relies on loops that I find extremely hard to do. Phoenix wasn't a joke character till his assists got nerfed. Still, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you got 1 out of 2 correct.

I don't see anything redeeming about RR except for his hitbox. But the shit health says "lol nevermind".

mr. puppy

Banned
why do people place Nova so high? The character just seems so easy to keep out since you can just block hi and most of his shit doesn't do anything to you.

Tier lists are fine and fun/whatever, but I read them purely for entertainment value and to see what others think is strong. Dahbomb had it right when he said "with smart team construction, smart play you can win any match and that's the bottom line." For me, there's too much hivemind and flavor of the week stuff that goes into them, especially in a game so young.

Case in point: Morrigan. Ass -->Amazing because somebody actually took the time to put in work with her as opposed to the tier list writer doing it themselves. Nobody has the time to fully dev 50 characters in multiple setups to maximize their potential, but that's why individual tier lists (in a team game) are flaky at best IMO.

I don't think any team in this game should be categorized further than effective or not (and maybe a counter). Too many variables and combinations to be accounted for.

I think maybe 10-15 characters have been labbed well enough to be considered how good they are in the grand scheme of things. People are putting in work, but the nooks and crannies of each character have hardly been found.

All that said, I still will read them from people who seem grounded (like DahBomb (vergil aside :3 ) and Deviljin) to see their thoughts since thy seem to support them well, at least know some of the capabilities of most characters, and have a good to great understanding of the game mechanics. But still, grain of cocaine attached to every single one for me.
DevilJin seems like a smart guy, but he defended Wesker so much that I couldn't take him seriously after a while. Anyone who defended Wesker in the first month or so was looking kinda crazy to me.
It's not in Capcom's best interests to have weirdos as top tier characters. People hate being beat down by fruity and colorful characters. I'm honestly happy that Ammy has turned out so good in both versions so far. I hope she can hold on for the third so I can make a strong team with Gene and her in it.
why do people place Nova so high? The character just seems so easy to keep out since you can just block hi and most of his shit doesn't do anything to you.
Low A tier is above average. That is nothing amazing, just good like Taskmaster or Felicia.

What I meant by saying "he might as well not be on the roster" means that he is not a consideration when you are practicing for tournaments or high level play. You don't need to learn to counter against the character or do something special against him. He is a great character for casual play of course. He doesn't have match up advantages. I am not saying he doesn't deserve to be in the game or that he's a waste of a slot... but that he is a non factor for competitive play as of this time.

He needs buffs badly.

Captain America is good for sure, probably A-/B+. He along with Chris, Ryu and a few others were on the borderline.

Sounds fair.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's not in Capcom's best interests to have weirdos as top tier characters. People hate being beat down by fruity and colorful characters. I'm honestly happy that Ammy has turned out so good in both versions so far. I hope she can hold on for the third so I can make a strong team with Gene and her in it.

Besides that, Capcom seems to have this notion that characters actual game balance should somewhat reflect their biographical status. I.e. dominating super villains should be overwhelming and intimidating, and underdog characters should be underdogs who have to work hard to win. It sure looks that way to me, a lot of the time.

Their mentality seems to be why Jean Grey exists in the first place, the way she works in this game: as if they felt she had to be a role playing experience in being a frail psionic user who gets free god mode from the grave when a dead squirrel falls out of a tree, hits her on the head, and kills her.

Then there's the whole vagina health tax thing.

Dahbomb

Since it was brought up... why I feel Morrigan is amazing in this game. I will just give 2 reasons why she's in the upper half of the game.

1) Match ups. With all the bull shit in the game flying around, teleport shenanigans etc.... having a character who can limit the amount of BS on screen is quite huge. Fireball spam on screen especially with the new hit stun/damage along with the slower fireballs make it hell for a lot of characters even the really strong ones. Fighting against Morrigan backed up by Hidden Missiles I was schooled on this lesson... most characters can't do SHIT about this but make an accurate read on a hole in that spam.

2) Meter gaining assist. Pretty big thing to have in this game with the meter nerf. If I knew how to play Morrigan well enough I would attempt to make space for her on my Vergil team. The meter advantage is huge with Morrigan... you can have 3 bars while your opponent is sitting on less than 1. That means edge in zoning and edge in damage potential (easier TODs). It's also a potential staple for Phoenix teams. With an assist like that on the opposite team... you HAVE to rush them done or get spammed to death.

On Chun Li, I feel she's much better than before and probably B tier (within the competitive range). Lots of execution still required on her. People are still going to sleep on her, underrate her and underuse her but she is way more playable now. Definitely better than Tron and Hsien Ko, about on par with some of the characters in the lower end of B. She's on the edge.

sephi22

Its easy to forget that Chun Li exists in this game. I hate her because she totally kills the pacing of the game. Stupid long lightning legs combos.

Just so we're clear and people don't think I'm making shit up as we go:

pre-release GameSpot tournament: Wesker/Dormammu/Amaterasu
Early lifespan: Magneto/Thor/Doom
EVO: Magneto/Doom/Phoenix
post-EVO: Magneto/C.Viper/Doom
moved to NorCAL:Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix
Ultimate: Wesker/Nemesis/Firebrand
Current: Wesker/Spencer/(Magneto or Hawkeye)

It's actually not that many characters, and there's a reasonable progression.

El Sloth

Banned
Besides that, Capcom seems to have this notion that characters actual game balance should somewhat reflect their biographical status. I.e. dominating super villains should be overwhelming and intimidating, and underdog characters should be underdogs who have to work hard to win. It sure looks that way to me, a lot of the time.
I blame Dan and Akuma.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
lol

S/S/A

I pick characters I love, and this will never change. UMvC3 is the first game where I've chosen characters that are really considered top tier by simple coincidence. I chose the team pre-release of MvC3 and stuck with it.

As for Morrigan, I agree that she's a lot better than most people give her credit for. I'd stick her in the B+/A- range, because I don't think she has the versatility that a lot of the other A tier does. I think she's only going to get stronger with the flight/Soul Fist loop combos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom