• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

SolarPowered, I do not want to be "that" guy, but Zero being the best in this game means no, it is not a conspiracy. When Ryu is up there, we can talk. He is not.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm adamant in the current state of the game Wesker is the best. You can place him better on any part of a team, and he's easier to play for ridiculous damage output (biggest factor in why I place him above Zero/Viper), X-Factor bonuses are better, better as an assist, etc. He's more versatile overall as a character.

Zero and Viper will set in more as the game develops, which is always sensitive to the tech that develops daily for every character. Execution barrier is still too persistent for most players. People's Zero champion Flocker is dropping shit everywhere still. Wesker is much better bang for your buck than either.

SolarPowered, I do not want to be "that" guy, but Zero being the best in this game means no, it is not a conspiracy. When Ryu is up there, we can talk. He is not.
They need to have someone in Megaman's place and Zero being top tier is the best way to placate some Megaman fans.

Ryu also received a brand new hyper that changes several of his hyper's properties alongside some much needed changes(overhead combos) which is big compared to most characters and colossal compared to characters that needed much more attention(Chun Li, the one who shall not be mentioned, Haggar and Tron who didn't need nerfs). Jesus don't even get me started on Wesker. His phantom dance now has several amazing properties which are just stupid for the cost of one bar. Possible free crossup into DHC, fifteen percent semi permanant damage increase/ten percent speed increase that stacks and extremely hard to punish for full damage since he has 1 mil health. Fuckers went overboard since they think everyone loves RE5.

Still, they did a much better job with balancing on this go around. I've stated that several times, but it doesn't change the fact that they nearly went full retard in Vanilla. Niitsuma had better not let the marketing department handle balance when they make the final update or we'll end up with another clusterfuck like that terrible game from ten months ago.
Do you guys still believe that theres going to be another update, another version or DLC characters?

I was pretty convinced about them adding 8 DLC characters when they were rumored, but now, not so much.
I want the DLC characters bad. They'd stack with the final update and the roster would be so much better in the long run.

sephi22

Do you guys still believe that theres going to be another update, another version or DLC characters?

I was pretty convinced about them adding 8 DLC characters when they were rumored, but now, not so much.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

It's still not *too late* but considering sales are probably not that great, no, that bit probably put the nail in the coffin if there (unlikely) was ever plans to decide post-release whether to do DLC.

I've been saying it since before UMvC3 came out, this is the end of the line folks. Probably until next gen when they have an empty slot in their FG release schedule to fill.

shaowebb

Got curious before work and looked up Rocket Raccoon vids and found an interesting OTG reset vid

Fun RR stuff
lol RR ghetto rom combo
A BNB for Rocky that I like. Nice and simple, over 600k and easy to get inside with
And finally just a vid I found that explained some nice reset options you get with Rocky in the corner

Interesting fact kept coming up when I'd check people's vids. My Hopper (springboard hyper) will pop them into the corner if you throw it with your back to the corner. Some folks are doing some really impractical hyper spam using this property to get 4 of this hyper off.
This could likely lead to some interesting stuff with the proper assists. I'm betting Trish traps or Dorm's blackhole would lead to a nice reset off of this. So far though all I've managed myself with him is some mixups and that grenade loop stuff. Hope these vids inspire some RR play. He's fun so I'd hate to see him go ignored.

I wanted to believe, but the launch and sales didn't do anything major for this game so I doubt it. The game just released near WAY too many titles. It launched the same night as Assassin's Creed Revelations, Modern Warfare 3 came out shortly before along with Arkham City, and folks were just waiting to go broke for Skyrim (can't remember if it'd launched yet or not). Fact is it went out during too crowded a time period to stand out...I'd have pushed it back till a later date just to insure brand stability on the title, but a low quarter is something no one likes to sit through and this was one of the few things they had to try launching for the holidays. Not the best move IMO since fighters don't have the market power that its competition had on those shelves.

Sad too. I'll never stop hoping, but I'll stop waiting for more cast after those sales.

How do you plan to open someone up with PW?

He's a zoning character... If you really needed to, you could just do paper and dash behind it and do it again all day until you're close enough to hit someone. He has an overhead and throws he can combo after...

And paper stops Hawkeye's zoning, and so does evidence. He can outzone these guys. I'm not saying he's better than Doom, I'm saying he's not crap. He's trying to chip you to death, not open people up. That's why his normals are only good for anti airs and his specials are really good at pushing people away and have huge advantage on block.

sephi22

Yeah, I think so too. If what we're playing is the final version in the mvc3 series, Its pretty great. Not '10 more years' worthy, but it has at best 2 years worth of solid tech in it.

I don't think there will be another balance patch either, not that we need one. Weskers ridiculous but I don't think he's broken.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, I think so too. If what we're playing is the final version in the mvc3 series, Its pretty great. Not '10 more years' worthy, but it has at best 2 years worth of solid tech in it.

I don't think there will be another balance patch either, not that we need one. Weskers ridiculous but I don't think he's broken.

You don't even know if something is 2 years worthy until your 2 years in. Its hard to judge but the stream of tech for both games has been endless, and points to a pretty lengthy future for the game.

My guess is most of Niitsuma's team has moved onto a TvC XBLA/PSN
/STEAMBELIEVE
port and from there god knows.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Phoenix Wright should have an alternate level 3 outside of turnabout mode where Maya channels the spirit of a fallen teammate and can use their moves for the remainder of the match, basically giving you a teammate back at the expense of Wright not being able to use Maya shield or her other moves for the remainder of the match. Pretty much a "Dark Phoenix Rising" but with the resurrected character being slightly weaker instead of stronger. Obviously couldn't work with every character (lol Sentinel).

Just a random thought I had.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'm adamant in the current state of the game Wesker is the best. You can place him better on any part of a team, and he's easier to play for ridiculous damage output (biggest factor in why I place him above Zero/Viper), X-Factor bonuses are better, better as an assist, etc. He's more versatile overall as a character.

Zero and Viper will set in more as the game develops, which is always sensitive to the tech that develops daily for every character. Execution barrier is still too persistent for most players. People's Zero champion Flocker is dropping shit everywhere still. Wesker is much better bang for your buck than either.

Viper's basic combos that do a fuck-ton of damage aren't execution heavy and neither are Zero's. Wesker still has a ton of issues, regardless of his bonuses, and especially against Zero.

People have gotten extremely lazy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Viper's basic combos that do a fuck-ton of damage aren't execution heavy and neither are Zero's. Wesker still has a ton of issues, regardless of his bonuses, and especially against Zero.

People have gotten extremely lazy.

Relative terms, a fuckton more effort is required than doing Wesker combos, and you know you'll never drop those. Viper/Zero drops at large are far more frequent than Wesler ones. The probability of completing a combo with a similar amount of damage done is much higher with Wesker.

I guess Zero fairs much better in matchups though. Dem limbs.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
It really isn't though. I mean we're talking about Wesker. His more damaging combos require people to do more than MMHS, and people don't use them. Her basic stuff doesn't require a ton of effort for the damage they do either.

Dahbomb

SRK finally has their compiled grand tier list up for the game. As always I am spoiler tagging it:

S Tier = C.Viper, Dante, Dormammu, Strider, Wesker, Zero

A+ Tier = Doom, Firebrand, Magneto, Vergil

A Tier = Akuma, Ammy, Felicia, Hawkeye, Nova, Phoenix, Spencer, Taskmaster, Trish, Wolverine

B Tier = Captain America, Chris, Deadpool, Dr Strange, Frank West, Hulk, Jill, MODOK, Morrigan, Nemesis, Rocket Raccoon, Ryu, Sentinel, Spider Man, Storm, Super Skrull, Thor, V.Joe, X-23

C Tier = Arthur, Chun Li, Ghost Rider, Haggar, Hsien Ko, Iron Fist, Iron Man, Phoenix Wright, She Hulk, Shuma, Tron

There needs to be an additional tier for the worst characters. No way is IM on par with PW, Tron and Hsien Ko.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No way is Hsien-Ko as bad as Ghost Rider, I'm offended!

Lol you don't need to spoiler tag the stuff dude, people aren't that annoyed by a list of characters.

Seems like they made 3 tiers and randomized the rest they didn't think were good amongst B and C.

The DLC sale is only on PSN, right?
Yes.

There needs to be an additional tier for the worst characters. No way is IM on par with PW, Tron and Hsien Ko.
Exactly what I thought when I saw Tron, Hsien-Ko and Phoenix Wright in C tier. I was laughing especially hard at She Hulk. These guys take nerfs way too seriously.

Frantic

Shoudn't she just be able to outpoke him? I'd like someone to check the hitbox on her f.H.
Eh... I wouldn't recommend trying to outpoke the pipe, especially with Hsien-Ko. I play Dante and half the time I get hit with that thing when trying to anti-air it. Unless you're Vergil "Just s.H it from the other side of the screen" Son of Sparda, you have to respect the pipe, generally speaking.

@compiled tier list: lol

LakeEarth

Phoenix Wright should have an alternate level 3 outside of turnabout mode where Maya channels the spirit of a fallen teammate and can use their moves for the remainder of the match, basically giving you a teammate back at the expense of Wright not being able to use Maya shield or her other moves for the remainder of the match. Pretty much a "Dark Phoenix Rising" but with the resurrected character being slightly weaker instead of stronger. Obviously couldn't work with every character (lol Sentinel).

Just a random thought I had.

I think Turnabout mode shouldn't end, ever. People may say "ooh that makes him too good", but its not like Frank level 5 ever runs out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Echoing Sixfortyfive here, who's winning currently, Heroes or Heralds?

Yes I'm shameless.

I have a feeling the online is locked by region or rank or something though.. That one time someone posted a pic of the results I had different numbers of players and points and whatnot.

RS4-

Yes I'm shameless.

I have a feeling the online is locked by region or rank or something though.. That one time someone posted a pic of the results I had different numbers of players and points and whatnot.

I'd tell you if I could but I can't. I got booted out of H&H a few hours ago, something about the campaign not currently running.

That list has Firebrand too high and Skrull too low. Hawkeye may also be too low, and Thor is below everyone else on that tier, except maybe Raccoon.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Yes I'm shameless.

The campaign ends each Sunday at 6PM EST. You're too late.

Heroes won. Same guy who boosted last week boosted again.

Razor210

His normals are so stubby. Really holds him from the top IMO.
He's one of the few characters who can basically finish every combo with a level 3 because he builds ridiculous amounts of meter, amazing anchor character because he doesn't require X-Factor to finish people off, can play easy keep away thanks to Photon Shot, has one of the best projectiles in the game, is untouchable in the air since not blocking against Doom leads to a full combo, has airdash overheads, above average health, and full screen foot dive is actually a valid strategy since few characters can shoot up-diagonal.

And Dormmamu is S tier? What? And can someone give me the explanation how Viper is S tier too? I basically have two S-tier characters, and that's Zero and Doom. Wesker comes right underneath.

Frantic

And Dormmamu is S tier? What? And can someone give me the explanation how Viper is S tier too? I basically have two S-tier characters, and that's Zero and Doom. Wesker comes right underneath.
Not entirely sure about Dormammu(I think he's definitely top 10, but not S tier), but with Viper... several reasons why she's one of the best, if not the best character in the game. EX Seismo and FADC EX Seismo are both the most bullshit thing in the game, as well as the most 'anti-bullshit' thing in the game. EX Seismo eats everything in this game clean. Invincibility out the ass, leads to a full combo(that is a ToD in Viper's case), is safe on block and whiff... With Focus Attack she has full hyper armor that she can dash cancel into said bullshit move, meaning the Viper player can and will blow through 99% of everything in this game. Outside that, she does crazy damage, controls the entire ground space with Seismo Spam + Optic Blast, is incredibly + on block whenever she feels like it, she has a tridash for those crazy high/low mixups... She's just really, really solid overall. She's just difficult to use in the neutral game. Her combos are pretty easy, though.

Kimosabae

Banned
She's just difficult to use in the neutral game. Her combos are pretty easy, though.

Probably the best assessment of Viper I've seen. Her combos are difficult relative to someone like Wesker/Wolverine/Hawkeye etc. but they're not as hard as some like to go on about. Especially in consideration for how much damage she does.

GGs to Ultimoo

A little laggy in the beginning(I just can't block that goddamn Sentinel 2M sonofa), but I'm sure that will only help me maneuver against zoning. Sorry about all the Gravity Squeezes, it became pretty aparent that I can't do Magneto combos online lol

Anyway, I think Wesker/Spencer/Magneto is my best team by far. I definitely need to learn a grapple combo with Spencer, considering how much I abuse that shit. Still not used to using hypers...

A ton of fun this set.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Don't get me started on that issues. I was not happy when they had to cut 8 characters out in order to release the game for Holiday and they were stupid enough to release it against many heavy hitter games. It's their problem and we tried to help them out but they should be patience enough to release it at right time but I could be wrong with my own opinions. *shrugs*

Neki

GGs to Ultimoo

A little laggy in the beginning(I just can't block that goddamn Sentinel 2M sonofa), but I'm sure that will only help me maneuver against zoning. Sorry about all the Gravity Squeezes, it became pretty aparent that I can't do Magneto combos online lol

Anyway, I think Wesker/Spencer/Magneto is my best team by far. I definitely need to learn a grapple combo with Spencer, considering how much I abuse that shit. Still not used to using hypers...

A ton of fun this set.

I actually did a storm combo at the end of the set, yay.

also, you still need to use that x-factor and meter. :p

been practicing her fly combos, will probably try them the next time I can online. it's so weird doing combos without lag, I can do it 9/10 times, but I set it to 4 bars, I get like a 50% success rate, lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't get me started on that issues. I was not happy when they had to cut 8 characters out in order to release the game for Holiday and they were stupid enough to release it against many heavy hitter games. It's their problem and we tried to help them out but they should be patience enough to release it at right time but I could be wrong with my own opinions. *shrugs*
We may all not be able to agree on fraudulent players, but we have far too much experience with fraudulent rumours around MahvelGAF. Shout outs to Howard The Duck.

Also, just finished catching up on Apex earlier today. MarlinPie and RayRay especially going IN were the highlights. That and Alukard's Skrull getting some lucky cross ups and barely edging it out far too many times. Whether it was out of luck, or skill :lol

Grecco

No

He's one of the few characters who can basically finish every combo with a level 3 because he builds ridiculous amounts of meter, amazing anchor character because he doesn't require X-Factor to finish people off, can play easy keep away thanks to Photon Shot, has one of the best projectiles in the game, is untouchable in the air since not blocking against Doom leads to a full combo, has airdash overheads, above average health, and full screen foot dive is actually a valid strategy since few characters can shoot up-diagonal.

I agree with your opinoon of Doom, hes reeeeeally good. Top 5 in the game. The jump S is the most bullshit thing in the game, a hit confirm jump s =dead character

SRK finally has their compiled grand tier list up for the game. As always I am spoiler tagging it:

And its an absolute trash of a list. Not worth discussing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We may all not be able to agree on fraudulent players, but we have far too much experience with fraudulent rumours around MahvelGAF. Shout outs to Howard The Duck.

Also, just finished catching up on Apex earlier today. MarlinPie and RayRay especially going IN were the highlights. That and Alukard's Skrull getting some lucky cross ups and barely edging it out far too many times. Whether it was out of luck, or skill :lol

I'm not sure what you meant by that. It's not rumors. I thought it was confirmed by Niitsuma.

Has anyone seen MarlinPie's stream? I checked twitter and he said he would explain the "commotion" that caused him to be late, but I'm busy with other stuff at the moment. I can't imagine what could possibly explain being 90 minutes late though.

Neki

Has anyone seen MarlinPie's stream? I checked twitter and he said he would explain the "commotion" that caused him to be late, but I'm busy with other stuff at the moment. I can't imagine what could possibly explain being 90 minutes late though.

MarlinPie said that they DQ'd him immediately without playing the other top 8 matches, and that Alucard didn't play for a couple of hours after he got his DQ wins.

sounds like some real bullshit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not sure what you meant by that. It's not rumors. I thought it was confirmed by Niitsuma.
Derp, I forgot, your right, it was Niitsuma who said that, wasn't a rumour. My bad.

MarlinPie said that they DQ'd him immediately without playing the other top 8 matches, and that Alucard didn't play for a couple of hours after he got his DQ wins.

sounds like some real bullshit.
Wow. That fucking sucks. Rules are rules though, but they could have done some harmless bending there and doing other matches instead.

Doom ain't no top five anymore unless his normals become sick overnight. He is definitely top ten material for sure though. Most of the top twenty can TOD just like Doom, but it comes easier to him. His pressure game is harder to start up and his pokes aren't very good though. That j.S is the major problem you have to watch for and you don't want to end up cornered by him, but that it is really.
It's still not *too late* but considering sales are probably not that great, no, that bit probably put the nail in the coffin if there (unlikely) was ever plans to decide post-release whether to do DLC.

I've been saying it since before UMvC3 came out, this is the end of the line folks. Probably until next gen when they have an empty slot in their FG release schedule to fill.

Sad if true.

This iteration has some serious holes in the roster and it lacks many things in the feature department(let's not get started here lol!). Damn... extremely upsetting if true. This version is lukewarm so far and it's only saving grace is the improved balance changes. Most everthing else about this version is forgettable.

They have to milk it one more time though. I don't know if they'll do another TvC(OE or Sequel so soon?) and SFV won't happen for a while. The latter half of 2012 is empty and Megaman edition is free money. They'll have to have something out by mid 2013 at the latest and it can't be SFV since they have to give Namco some space for TekkenxStreet Fighter. It's winter of 2012 earliest or Winter or 2013 latest if they make another Mahvel 3 game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sad if true.

This iteration has some serious holes in the roster and it lacks many things in the feature department(let's not get started here lol!). Damn... extremely upsetting if true. This version is lukewarm so far and it's only saving grace is the improved balance changes. Most everthing else about this version is forgettable.
I think UMvC3 is alright. It has all the essentials now that it didn't before, I see nothing "forgettable" about it. The reception has only been lukewarm because of Wesker, but people will grow out of that, they just need a character to hate and herald as unbeatable at any given point in time. This is Marvel, we idolize the bullshit we create and perpetuate it. Otherwise, UMvC3 has been received pretty well. People like it, I'm not seeing AE-like receptions anywhere, which I'd categorize as lukewarm.

The holes in the roster are unfortunate, though.

It's possible they'll squeeze out one more with a small amount of characters (maybe 4 like AE), but I don't think they should. It goes against the Capcom way. If something doesn't sell very well, they don't want to learn from their mistakes. They'll just say, "Our customers don't want it" and stop releasing them. *cough*SengokuBasara*cough* -_-

Grecco

Seth Killian didnt want to outright say it but hes been pretty blatant in suggesting the reason why UMVC was "rushed" was because of Marvel and Marvel games released and what not. It sure sounded to me like a contract thing which is why i doubt we see another Marvel any time soon.

Id sure as heck would love another version because the roster still sucks. (Gambit plz) and things like hit boxes/replays that are in SSF4 and in the freaking Vita version need to be on the PS3/360 SKU. ITs insane to me that the VIta version has replays and the console version will not.

Neki

So no real explanation why he was late, or am I missing something here?

Missed that part, he might explain it again though. he said it earlier in the stream.

He says he looked at the schedule and it said was 7PM, so he made his schedule around that. Noel Brown calls him at 12:30PM and asks him where he is, and the tournament organizer tells him he needs to be there in half an hour. MarlinPie tells him he would need an hour, so the TO said that since he wasn't in Street Fighter tournament, he might get enough time. So he gets there at 1:50PM and the organizer told him that he got disqualified him two minutes before he got there, and they didn't want to reverse it. They said verbally last night to come back at 10AM, and MarlinPie didn't hear it apparently. And the TO said he was too busy to change the thread time. And Alukard said win shouldn't be reversed because of the principle.

It's possible they'll squeeze out one more with a small amount of characters (maybe 4 like AE), but I don't think they should. It goes against the Capcom way. If something doesn't sell very well, they don't want to learn from their mistakes. They'll just say, "Our customers don't want it" and stop releasing them. *cough*SengokuBasara*cough* -_-

Or they could outright lie like they did with AAI1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom