• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
the wide majority of the people there have this definition of balance that mends itself to whatever character they feel needs to be #1, and the margin by which they need to be #1 must be substantial. It pains me so much to read I can barely make it through a page.
Sums it up pretty well.

Also, characters should only be judged on their theoretical maximum potential, regardless of how incredibly impractical it is to achieve said potential. This means that Hsien-ko should be considered a legit TOD character due to Anki-hou infinites, and MVC2 Dark Sakura literally cannot be damaged once set up and is thus unbeatable. The number of advantageous 1v1 match-ups a character has is also apparently more important than his ability to help a team overcome commonly used characters and setups. Herp a derp.

Don't read thread if you don't like tier discussion?
Sound advice, but inbetween the 95% of pointless list posts and nonsense, you can find the occasional bit of well-reasoned insight as to why character X beats Y because of strategy Z.

I'm surprised there aren't more Arthur players. Arthur is really good at cheating, and Beef is a fraud.

sPbyh.png

shaowebb

Wow...me an Tobe101 just took each other on in a really close de-hype match.

It was to see who had the worst net speed lol

1691702693.png

Care to show them your "winning" score Tobe101? It took a peruvian setup to out-stink the West Virginian Comcast setup I got lol.

shaowebb

We're like the Tiny Tim's of 360 and PSN gaf. We wave our modems at our cable providers all day looking withered and pale begging "Please sir...some more?"

lol

Seriously though I don't know whats going on with mine recently. It used to be higher.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Read it closely. It says better that 87% of Peru.
Yeah, that's gold.

I feel like I should reiterate that a bandwidth check alone tells you nothing about your connection quality for online gaming, though.

Seriously though I don't know whats going on with mine recently. It used to be higher.
Call support and get a tech to come over and check it out. I had to do this every once in a while when I was in Huntington because my damn street was wired in such a way that the internet connection seriously degraded after adverse weather and there was nothing I could do without having that fixed every once in a while.

In the meantime, check the wiring in your house to the extent that you can. Make sure you aren't using any more signal splitters than you have to, and temporarily remove your router from the connection and wire your PC directly to your modem. Do a bandwidth check and test that against the numbers that you paid to get. (If you don't know what upstream/downstream bandwidth you paid for, call and find out.) Ping test against a few different sites and make sure that the latency is consistent. Check your modem's status page (often http://192.168.100.1 if I'm not mistaken) and make sure the numbers there are in order. I'm fuzzy on what the acceptable ranges are for most of those values but "downstream power level" should be as close to 0 dB as possible. Between -5 and +5 dB is ideal and -10 to +10 is the very edge of what is acceptable.

Jeeze, you guys have worse internet than I do...

I don't know who to feel more sorry for :/

We're like the Tiny Tim's of 360 and PSN gaf. We wave our modems at our cable providers all day looking withered and pale begging "Please sir...some more?"

lol

I think you mean "Oliver Twist's"

shaowebb

Yeah, that's gold.

I feel like I should reiterate that a bandwidth check alone tells you nothing about your connection quality for online gaming, though.

Call support and get a tech to come over and check it out. I had to do this every once in a while when I was in Huntington because my damn street was wired in such a way that the internet connection seriously degraded after adverse weather and there was nothing I could do without having that fixed every once in a while.

In the meantime, check the wiring in your house to the extent that you can. Make sure you aren't using any more signal splitters than you have to, and temporarily remove your router from the connection and wire your PC directly to your modem. Do a bandwidth check and test that against the numbers that you paid to get. (If you don't know what upstream/downstream bandwidth you paid for, call and find out.) Ping test against a few different sites and make sure that the latency is consistent. Check your modem's status page (often http://192.168.100.1 if I'm not mistaken) and make sure the numbers there are in order. I'm fuzzy on what the acceptable ranges are for most of those values but "downstream power level" should be as close to 0 dB as possible. Between -5 and +5 dB is ideal and -10 to +10 is the very edge of what is acceptable.

Thanks six. Wish you were up here more often. Last time you came by I was stuck in Logan county and couldn't come over to get bodied. You know your connections though and have dealt with this exact bunch before so I'm gonna look into it. The other day I had 6's which still sucked, but that was higher than the 3. I'm betting the stream has something to do with that 3 though...

Yea, what are Wesker's best options vs Nova backed by Hidden Missiles? I would do pretty well if I tagged him with tatsu assist or a stray estaka. If not, then it felt like Nova was more in control of the pace of it.

Back wavedash when the missiles are coming down, then 6H+EMD to get the space back and hit confirm. It's important to know how long the missiles stay out and not be afraid to move before they come down. Nova relies on that pressure advantage to attack, because his air dashes aren't that great. If he's in the air, you can jump gun at mid range and teleport behind him pretty safely. Once you've reclaimed your screen position after missiles are gone, that's the time to attack with tatsu assist and go for fuzzy guard or cross up.

It depends a little, since he's using hidden missiles he probably likes to attack from the sky, but you should still watch out for falcon kicks and the slide. Don't do too many standing gunshots against nova unless it's with EMD.

Sums it up pretty well.

Also, characters should only be judged on their theoretical maximum potential, regardless of how incredibly impractical it is to achieve said potential. This means that Hsien-ko should be considered a legit TOD character due to Anki-hou infinites, and MVC2 Dark Sakura literally cannot be damaged once set up and is thus unbeatable. The number of advantageous 1v1 match-ups a character has is also apparently more important than his ability to help a team overcome commonly used characters and setups. Herp a derp.

Sound advice, but inbetween the 95% of pointless list posts and nonsense, you can find the occasional bit of well-reasoned insight as to why character X beats Y because of strategy Z.

Practicality is integral to character potential.

koryuken

Vergil is not S or even top A tier because of the imbalances that exist with some of the other S-tier characters. In actuality, I think Vergil is a very strongly balanced character that is only struggling because of the absurdities of some of the other top tier characters. It's hard to justify using Vergil when other characters seemingly can open up their opponents without assists or meter, and consequently build a net bar after doing a 900,000 damage combo. If Vergil uses meter to open up an opponent (spiral swords) he wastes a meter, and isn't gaining meter during the combo via spiral sword activation, and it's hard to do that much damage because of the absurd damage and hit stun scaling. At that point, just Magneto and tri-dash over your opponents head with a semi-decent assist, problem solved. Spiral Sword not required. Seth Killian really said it best day 1, "Vergil is not top tier." Maybe we see a little truth in that statement. Vergil is no Dante in terms of tournament effectiveness (thus far).

I definitely don't think that Vergil is S tier. Wolverine and Zero do way more damage and are way safer and have mixups that are harder to react to.... However, Vergil has can do some amazing "S tier" stuff...

1)I can turn regular combos into touch of death combos via DHC into Vergil. (some tech involved)

2)I can one touch kill most characters with Vergil due to a reset that is incredibly hard to react to that leads into a kill combo.

3) Vergil has a very high rate of happy birthdays due to the range of his normals. For best results, slash the assist and cancel into summoned swords to juggle the assist while the opponent watches and can't do anything.

4) Vergil completely shuts down many runaway/zoning characters like Ghost Rider and Trish. Wolverine and Zero have a pretty hard time against these characters.

koryuken

I mean, unless it's one of those resets that are guaranteed on some characters...

Its not a 100% guaranteed reset, however there a few things that make it very strong.
1) Its not a throw reset, so mashing H will not get you out.
2) Since it is not a throw reset, it does not apply terrible scaling to the combo.
3) You have very little time to react - it is a reset that causes the opponent to drop out and recover much faster than normal and forces them to immediately guess.

Its not a 100% guaranteed reset, however there a few things that make it very strong.
1) Its not a throw reset, so mashing H will not get you out.
2) Since it is not a throw reset, it does not apply terrible scaling to the combo.
3) You have very little time to react - it is a reset that causes the opponent to drop out and recover much faster than normal and forces them to immediately guess.

Sounds like a typical reset? Magneto/Iron Man/C.Viper have tons of stuff like that.

Dahbomb

Vergil's damage is the same or better than Wolverine's for the same meter cost although with a higher execution level as well. Vergil does 950K starting with 1 meter. It's pretty much Iron Fist level. No one does better damage than Zero anyway.

The reset in discussion is the Upper Slash reset most likely. After Vergil's ground bounce is used up and he does HSH the first down slash puts them in a soft knockdown/roll state. Vergil can then cancel the down slash with a special (in most cases a teleport L/M or he can mix up either a Rapid Slash for cross up or Judgment Cut) while calling an assist which is a guaranteed 50/50 mix up/guess. He has others like this including the Stinger reset which is essentially after a 2nd wall bounce attempt (Wesker can't do this from all distances because he doesn't have a tracking teleport). Upon impacting the wall the opponent is in an air tech situation but Vergil has already teleported either in front or behind them... which is a guess they have to make.

And yeah it's a typical reset although adding in Round Trip to the equation does complicate things for the opponent. The player who has these Round Trip resets down is Omniscythe, he was on Bum's stream.

High rate of happy birthday is right. People get really frustrated fighting against him due to this. If I can figure out a meterless kill combo with Vergil in XFLVL1 (~1 million damage) then I can essentially finish off a round off of literally one happy birthday into Storm Sword set up against the final character. I only have a character kill XF1 combo that uses one meter (can be used to kill if you start with Spiral Swords or end with them... the combo is fairly easy).

Burning Water

Neo Member
After reading the past few pages, it almost looked like people were giving up hope for Vergil, until koryuken and Dahbomb dropped some knowledge. I think it's time some competent Vergil players started going to tournaments.

Also, i completely agree with Vergil being nothing short of A tier (sorry to add to the tier discussion, I just woke up), especially because of the shenanigans the top characters currently possess. I'm looking at you, Zero, Wesker, Viper, Doom, and Spencer. It's a bit irritating that Vergil has a built in mechanic to "balance" him when a bunch of other characters get away with murder.

Quick question, Dahbomb. Do you know any use for a super jump canceled Trick Up off a launcher?

Nedjoe

Neo Member
Jeeze, you guys have worse internet than I do...

I don't know who to feel more sorry for :/

I think you mean "Oliver Twist's"

Gotta ask ya since you have a real pic avatar, are you the dude I played in casuals then in tournament (losers bracket and I think I won) at Shadowloo Showdown? I believe I would have been playing some combination of Mags/Dante/Wesker.

Grecco

Man everybody needs to stop talking about tiers. Ten different characters every week are top 5.

Wesker/Zero/Spencer/Doom/ Flavor of the month

Also yeah Tier list talk can get boring. Wont be too long till Yipes next Curly Moustache (Jan 28) so more actual tourney talk.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So I took the Nemesis team into training mode. He's pretty damn scary up close. After any block string anti-air command grab or regular command grab. Seems like a 50/50 to me. Though if I miss I'm fucked. Also something I can't seem to do is kara his Level 3 with 2C. I can only get it by doing the 2C then going into the motion for the level 3. I can't do the Ghost Rider thing and put the 2C in the middle of the command for the level 3.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/06/japanese-online-umvc3-tournament-replays/

Have yall watched these videos? These are the best example to me why Marvel is so much fun to watch. To see the creativity in combining characters with other characters in teams and figuring out that synergy is just awesome.

There are some really fun spencer, She Hulk, Tron, Doom, and Phoenix Wright combinations in there that made me go "Damn!" more than a few times!

smurfx

get some go again

Have yall watched these videos? These are the best example to me why Marvel is so much fun to watch. To see the creativity in combining characters with other characters in teams and figuring out that synergy is just awesome.

There are some really fun spencer, She Hulk, Tron, Doom, and Phoenix Wright combinations in there that made me go "Damn!" more than a few times!
i was pretty unimpressed with the 1st video till i saw the tron/thor guy. lol that was some pretty good stuff. i'm checking out the 2nd video now.

edit: 2nd video wasn't that impressive.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Amazing Tron, S-Hulk and Thor team.. I am very impressed. I am looking forward for Wright team.

Edited: Smurf, see any Wright team yet?

It's pretty dumb, but still not ever remotely as bad as the pseudo-intellectual circle-jerk that is SRK's balance/tier thread. Those guys live in their own little world.
That shit is ten times worse than tier discussion here.

oh jesus
I usually get >12 Mbps down and Kadey's streams are always slideshows for me.
Same thing for me and I top out at 20Mbps. Her stream is sharp and clear as fuck, but I think that causes the lag. My laptop is pretty old though.
avatar bets is the one thing i don't do. once i choose an avatar that is it.
It's not permanent. Don't have a heart attack. :p
SolarPowered, I think the two videos there are parts 7 and 8 -- the PW player may be in an earlier part.
hmm?
SRK actually starts to get pretty civil in the smaller boards outside of the big games.
Much much better in the smaller game subforums and character forums. Fighting game discussion is terrible though. Everyone wants to fuck each other up bad there.

i was pretty unimpressed with the 1st video till i saw the tron/thor guy. lol that was some pretty good stuff. i'm checking out the 2nd video now.

edit: 2nd video wasn't that impressive.

That Thor is holy whoa, my eyes are melting. O_O

SolarPowered, I think the two videos there are parts 7 and 8 -- the PW player may be in an earlier part.

Razor210

Yea, what are Wesker's best options vs Nova backed by Hidden Missiles? I would do pretty well if I tagged him with tatsu assist or a stray estaka. If not, then it felt like Nova was more in control of the pace of it.

If someone calls Hidden Missiles at mid/full screen, there's a specific timing (relative to when the missiles were launched) that allows you to dash forward and start a combo without worrying about getting hit randomly. I was messing around with it a bit in training mode.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Saw those yesterday. Nothing too impressive or mindlblowing but yes it definitely put a smile on my face. Marvel allows for endless creativity and setups and I love it for it.

Ultimate Fighting Game Sandbox
- Seth Killian.

Also yeah Kadey's stream is pretty unwatchable for me 99% of the time. I'd love to tune in but it's a slideshow for me. Justin.tv or Twitch.tv should really get on giving everyone quality settings, it's like an essential and I dont see why not.

smurfx

get some go again
dear lord that tron/thor guy has some awesome set ups. anybody that uses thor should check out this guys technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom