• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Back wavedash when the missiles are coming down, then 6H+EMD to get the space back and hit confirm. It's important to know how long the missiles stay out and not be afraid to move before they come down. Nova relies on that pressure advantage to attack, because his air dashes aren't that great. If he's in the air, you can jump gun at mid range and teleport behind him pretty safely. Once you've reclaimed your screen position after missiles are gone, that's the time to attack with tatsu assist and go for fuzzy guard or cross up.

It depends a little, since he's using hidden missiles he probably likes to attack from the sky, but you should still watch out for falcon kicks and the slide. Don't do too many standing gunshots against nova unless it's with EMD.

Good shit. Helped out a bunch just now. Thanks.

http://apexsmash.com/stream/n2.html

Marvel's up.

Squall's Rocket Racoon fucking people UP! Somebody might want to reevaluate putting Rocket Raccoon so low on tiers. Real talk, I do think some of these newer characters that we aren't crediting is simply due to nobody stepping up on using them to their potential. Other than PW, I really do think he's just bad.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The destruction of Beef.

Even though it's a first to 15, it's still shorter than the first to 10 against Degen.

http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/304749983

════════════════════════

Having a good internet connection alone does not account for stream viewing. You still have to make sure your PC is up to par and all needed software are up to date. This replies to streaming itself also.

It took a while to get my stream up and running like it does offline for me. I won't settle for anything less. Now to work on dual streaming and technology that will render having a producer badge worthless. If they are not going to give me one, I'll just figure something out myself like always.

Neki

The destruction of Beef.

Even though it's a first to 15, it's still shorter than the first to 10 against Degen.

http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/304749983

════════════════════════

Having a good internet connection alone does not account for stream viewing. You still have to make sure your PC is up to par and all needed software are up to date. This replies to streaming itself also.

It took a while to get my stream up and running like it does offline for me. I won't settle for anything less. Now to work on dual streaming and technology that will render having a producer badge worthless. If they are not going to give me one, I'll just figure something out myself like always.

I have a brand new laptop and the stream still lags. It's either the quality is too high, or my internet is still bad.

I think Phoenix Wright is better than people give him credit for, he's just weird and doesn't suit a lot of normal playstyles. If you look at Dieminion, he plays the game completely differently than people would expect and it's made people rethink a lot of characters. Japanese players will probably like Phoenix Wright more than western players, because from those online matches earlier today, they really love their hitboxes. Western players tend to favor psychology and go for things that are hard to block, and Japanese players seemingly tend to play the way theory fighters think, all frame data and hitboxes and go for things that are hard to avoid. You would never see American players super jumping backwards and using photon shot in anchor Doom mirrors to chip each other from full health. This year's EVO is going to be fun if Japanese players start showing up in force.

Good shit. Helped out a bunch just now. Thanks.

No problem.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Any PC (besides netbooks) that can be bought as of recent are all high quality stream viewing viable. Unless you get an emachines, something with a celeron or something. Having a good processor is the main thing and to a much much lesser extent, GPU and amount of ram depending on how active your computer is.

From there it's best to keep Adobe flash up to date. Make sure when you are watching a stream that a billion programs aren't running in the background. You'd be surprised at how much ram usage those annoying toolbars eat up.

From there it's your internet connection. Having a good download and upload is just the first step. Check your router settings and ISP settings. There may be limits to what you are able to do if you have no idea how either of them are running.

═══════════════

Also I must be the only person annoyed at the whole donations thing. It's like every stream is asking for donations. People like Sp00ky and Level up are right in asking for it and even then Sp00ky only does it when he needs to, he is legit in using the money for better stream viewing. But these other people are freeloading. Not saying any particular stream but I am noticing all of these new random streams lately and one of the first things I notice is some donation button or some mod on it asking for donations.
Next comment doesn't apply to the streamers at tournaments and majors. For home streams, besides buying the equipment itself which isn't as complex as getting a good enough PC, fast enough internet connection and a capture hardware/software, camera and so on if you need, it's really nothing more than that at that level. Only thing that would factor in the costs is the electric bill and unless you are PJ who streams 24/7, the point is moot. So fuck all those people. Trying to freeload off the FGC. Fuck out of here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Any PC (besides netbooks) that can be bought as of recent are all high quality stream viewing viable. Unless you get an emachines, something with a celeron or something. Having a good processor is the main thing and to a much much lesser extent, GPU and amount of ram depending on how active your computer is.

From there it's best to keep Adobe flash up to date. Make sure when you are watching a stream that a billion programs aren't running in the background. You'd be surprised at how much ram usage those annoying toolbars eat up.

From there it's your internet connection. Having a good download and upload is just the first step. Check your router settings and ISP settings. There may be limits to what you are able to do if you have no idea how either of them are running.

═══════════════

Also I must be the only person annoyed at the whole donations thing. It's like every stream is asking for donations. People like Sp00ky and Level up are right in asking for it and even then Sp00ky only does it when he needs to, he is legit in using the money for better stream viewing. But these other people are freeloading. Not saying any particular stream but I am noticing all of these new random streams lately and one of the first things I notice is some donation button or some mod on it asking for donations.
Next comment doesn't apply to the streamers at tournaments and majors. For home streams, besides buying the equipment itself which isn't as complex as getting a good enough PC, fast enough internet connection and a capture hardware/software, camera and so on if you need, it's really nothing more than that at that level. Only thing that would factor in the costs is the electric bill and unless you are PJ who streams 24/7, the point is moot. So fuck all those people. Trying to freeload off the FGC. Fuck out of here.
5mbps DSL here and no way my computer factors into it, have an quad core i5 processor and 8 GB of RAM. Flash is definitely up to date. I try in all my different browsers too. Still a massive slideshow, updates the static image on my screen every few seconds.

Weird how I can stream HD video, even 1080p video elsewhere but if it's a live stream it doesn't work out.

I think Phoenix Wright is better than people give him credit for, he's just weird and doesn't suit a lot of normal playstyles. If you look at Dieminion, he plays the game completely differently than people would expect and it's made people rethink a lot of characters. Japanese players will probably like Phoenix Wright more than western players, because from those online matches earlier today, they really love their hitboxes. Western players tend to favor psychology and go for things that are hard to block, and Japanese players seemingly tend to play the way theory fighters think, all frame data and hitboxes and go for things that are hard to avoid. You would never see American players super jumping backwards and using photon shot in anchor Doom mirrors to chip each other from full health. This year's EVO is going to be fun if Japanese players start showing up in force.
I agree with this entirely. Theorycraft can only go so far until you see someone actually perform with a given character. People cast off Haggar and then Bum comes in and blows peoples minds.

RS4-

Yeah, sometimes Kadey's stream struggles for me, sometimes it doesn't. During the Beef match it was brutal and I couldn't watch it at all.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Rewatching my match vs. Beef. I started out a match with an anti-air command grab that hit. I don't even remember doing that. Seeing it now I just went "YO UGGHHH"

I agree with this entirely. Theorycraft can only go so far until you see someone actually perform with a given character. People cast off Haggar and then Bum comes in and blows peoples minds.

Another reason why tier lists need a grain of cocaine.

<3 the way Bum plays Haggar.

I'm exhausted. Just got back from a local and got 2nd out of 5 in Marvel. Bodied a Phoenix player in friendlies afterwards too. Any blowups while I was gone?

El Sloth

Banned
^Apex was a blowup. At least for non-smash fans.

Holy...I never realized how much invincibility Jill's machine gun super has. Whoever said that was the worst super was wrong.

zlatko

Banned

Holy...I never realized how much invincibility Jill's machine gun super has. Whoever said that was the worst super was wrong.

Being invincible is cool, but it isn't easy to DHC into and it does shit for damage.

You have to time it at just the right time to get maximum damage. It's pretty much only good for the invincibility, and most of the time it's just not good enough.

smurfx

get some go again
welcome to the club
i do pretty damn well against him. :p bum totally inspired me to work on my haggar even more. i've gotten so many damn ideas watching him play. i need to work on my haggar command throws.

edit: just saw a bit of beef's set and it looked like total sandbagging and i turned it off right away.

El Sloth

Banned
Being invincible is cool, but it isn't easy to DHC into and it does shit for damage.
You have to time it at just the right time to get maximum damage. It's pretty much only good for the invincibility, and most of the time it's just not good enough.
There was a dude on the iPlaywinner stream who using it pretty effectively to create mixups after THC or to just keep the combo going since the super ends so quickly.

It also pretty effectively shut down Gimlet fishing.

Today I learned that I can deal with Wolverine/______ pressure, but crumble to pieces against Doom. I can lame him out at least, but not for 50+ seconds.

Frantic

There was a dude on the iPlaywinner stream who using it pretty effectively to create mixups after THC or to just keep the combo going since the super ends so quickly.

It also pretty effectively shut down Gimlet fishing.
That's primarily what it's used for. It's a utility hyper, not a damage hyper. The fact it hits OTG can set up some really good THCs for some sick combo extension.

All this fraudulence made me go in the lab with Phoenix Wright. Came up with this midscreen BnB in half an hour without ever seeing a real PW combo before:

[Trial mode]LMHH jc jHHS, MH6H xx Steel Samurai Maya

486,000, pushes the opponent full screen and gives you just enough time to gather 3 pieces of evidence

other combos:

[Trial mode]LMHH jc jHHS, MH6HS, jMMH xx Steel Samurai Maya, HS, jMHS, Order in the Court

659,000, you can actually swap stances and gather one piece of evidence, go back and complete this combo

[Investigation]LMH6HS, jMH2HS, M-Maya?, HS, jMMHS, swap stances xx Order in the Court

[Investigation]LMH6H xx Steel Samurai Maya, 6S, jMMHS, swap stances xx Order in the Court

Keep in mind these are unoptimized without assists, and they can all be done without evidence or turnabout at the beginning of the round.
Notes:

• Wright's normals recover pretty far before the animation ends and he has a surprisingly good grab range, making them solid tick throws that he can follow up with OTG hyper or a full combo in the corner
  • All of wright's standing normals have a solid AA hitbox advantage, no hurtbox around his head
  • Wright has incredibly good zoning with his paperwork specials(+24 on block and 36 durability in normal mode!), shield and evidence
  • Steel Samurai Maya is a multi-purpose super that lets him gather evidence, clear space or set up unblockables with his overhead and jumping attacks
  • Order in the Court is projectile-invincible, so he can smash through beam hypers
  • Phoenix Wright has all kinds of cool corner combos with his different specials
  • PW has any number of ways to combo into Turnabout mode once he has the evidence
  • 3 pieces of evidence basically guarantees a meterless kill on his next combo and enough time left to kill the coming in character with the level 3 if they do ANYTHING(10+0, bitch)
  • hold it! stuns on every 4th hit, you can hit 4 in one combo

I don't see how he could possibly be worthless.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Spooky has always been pretty solid, shame he can't play as much due to all the stream obligations.

Yeah, he's pretty knowledgeable about the game too because he's constantly surrounded by pros and does indeed enjoy playing the game too.

Just went to bed too.. Might catch the archive of that tomorrow.

Dahbomb

WTF happened in that Apex thread? That thread went to shit pretty fast now that I have time to catch up on it.

http://www.twitch.tv/medina4life/b/304847907 <-- Ton of Vergil play at this tournament Frosty Faustings. It's like everyone is using him there. In fact top 3 had all Vergils on their teams.

Anyone got a time stamp on that Rocket Raccoon play?

I don't see how he could possibly be worthless.
How do you plan to open someone up with PW? How do you deal with Hawkeye/Dante zoning? What is your plan of action against teleport + beam mix ups and lock down assist rushdown? How do you cover the top upper corner of the screen against someone like Zero raining Buster down on you?

There isn't anything in the post that covers the main issues with the character. It's all general knowledge of his toolset. Try playing him in a live match.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
WTF happened in that Apex thread? That thread went to shit pretty fast now that I have time to catch up on it.

http://www.twitch.tv/medina4life/b/304847907 <-- Ton of Vergil play at this tournament Frosty Faustings. It's like everyone is using him there.

Anyone got a time stamp on that Rocket Raccoon play?

How do you plan to open someone up with PW? How do you deal with Hawkeye/Dante zoning? What is your plan of action against teleport + beam mix ups and lock down assist rushdown? How do you cover the top upper corner of the screen against someone like Zero raining Buster down on you?

There isn't anything in the post that covers the main issues with the character. It's all general knowledge of his toolset. Try playing him in a live match.

Yeah, PW has combos, pretty damn good ones too. But he has a ton of trouble opening people up, and his zoning doesn't really excel without being in x-factor. It still has a luck factor to it on top of that, where the cell phone is pretty much his best attack, but even if you get three good pieces it may not be there. When he gets into turnabout, he gets extremely good combos and the best level 3 in the game that combos off whatever and punishes any button being pushed, BUT it also has no mixup at all. cr.H in TB isn't a low, so you can literally just hold back all day and he can't do shit because of his poor speed, and his chip doesn't show up much without x-factor. He can be scary with a good low assist, then, but due to the stupid nerf on his assist, it's either paperwork or get em missile, and if you use missile your team now probably has 2 low assists.

He needs babysat a lot, and this is marvel where you can lose him in one hit, which can destroy your whole gameplan. I don't doubt that someone out there is cooking up some really good PW team/tech, but on the basic levels at this point in the game he can't really excel competitively with consistency.

Frantic

I kept meaning to post stuff about stuff I saw on stream, then saw the discussions going on, and just backed away slowly. Sometimes video games are just too serious business for me.

Also, on the subject of Phoenix Wright... he's not good by any means, but I still don't think he's Hsien-Ko bad. At least Phoenix Wright can zone somewhat well. Hsien-Ko can't even outzone anchor Haggar.

Dahbomb

Oh wow OMG its Andre has stepped up his Vergil play big time. I don't know if I approve of Devil Trigger activation right out of the gate like that but his play is WAY better than from NEC.

Too bad he had to against a person with a vastly superior Vergil (Zeus). Pretty much wrecked his entire team with mix ups all over the place and solid combos. Both players were using Round Trip plenty which is what I LIKE to see. The Storm Sword lock down and mix ups is also what I LIKE to see. So many baits, frame traps, whiff punishes and fuzzy guard set ups.

Oh and I bet hitting anchor Wesker with LVL4 Dark Angel felt DAMN GOOD. Match started at around 1:45:00-ish in the link I posted.

Arisu in the same stream SUPPLANTING the fact that Zero is the best character in the game.

The end of that video was GOD TIER Deadpool hype!
Yes fucking indeed we got a LVL3 counter1!

I kept meaning to post stuff about stuff I saw on stream, then saw the discussions going on, and just backed away slowly. Sometimes video games are just too serious business for me.

Also, on the subject of Phoenix Wright... he's not good by any means, but I still don't think he's Hsien-Ko bad. At least Phoenix Wright can zone somewhat well. Hsien-Ko can't even outzone anchor Haggar.
The lack of protection below her and no air mobility/offense(item toss should work like Morrigan's fireballs) really hurts her.
Shoudn't she just be able to outpoke him? I'd like someone to check the hitbox on her f.H.
I'd like to see a bunch of her stuff. Hitbox viewer exclusively on Vita is just terrible...
Besides that, Capcom seems to have this notion that characters actual game balance should somewhat reflect their biographical status. I.e. dominating super villains should be overwhelming and intimidating, and underdog characters should be underdogs who have to work hard to win. It sure looks that way to me, a lot of the time.
This and the fact that those top tiers happen to come from the best selling games/popular IP really irks me. I don't mind it if characters just end up top tier or great, but you can tell that they have clear ideas of how good they want characters to turn out which is the real problem.
Their mentality seems to be why Jean Grey exists in the first place, the way she works in this game: as if they felt she had to be a role playing experience in being a frail psionic user who gets free god mode from the grave when a dead squirrel falls out of a tree, hits her on the head, and kills her.
Such a stupid mechanic. I wouldn't shed a tear if they got rid of DP and made Phoenix a great point character with solid health(and a scaled back regeneration hyper because she would be broke with 800k health lol).
Then there's the whole vagina health tax thing.
I've gotten used to it. No point in thinking about it too much anymore.
Since it was brought up... why I feel Morrigan is amazing in this game. I will just give 2 reasons why she's in the upper half of the game.

1) Match ups. With all the bull shit in the game flying around, teleport shenanigans etc.... having a character who can limit the amount of BS on screen is quite huge. Fireball spam on screen especially with the new hit stun/damage along with the slower fireballs make it hell for a lot of characters even the really strong ones. Fighting against Morrigan backed up by Hidden Missiles I was schooled on this lesson... most characters can't do SHIT about this but make an accurate read on a hole in that spam.

2) Meter gaining assist. Pretty big thing to have in this game with the meter nerf. If I knew how to play Morrigan well enough I would attempt to make space for her on my Vergil team. The meter advantage is huge with Morrigan... you can have 3 bars while your opponent is sitting on less than 1. That means edge in zoning and edge in damage potential (easier TODs). It's also a potential staple for Phoenix teams. With an assist like that on the opposite team... you HAVE to rush them done or get spammed to death.
Eh... there are a lot of characters in the game that do a great job of building meter by actually hurting their opponents which is the primary objective if you want to win. Her meter building assist is good, but it's not THAT necessary and her point performance can leave anchors drained. She pairs up great with characters like Ammy, Dormmamu and Hawkye though. That constant stream of meter can make some seriously fucked up teams that are just terrible to fight. My old team practically shut shit down in Vanilla once Hsien-Ko went gold.

Fireball spam is nice, but accurate reads are something fundamental. You need something more than a heavy defense in this game and Morrigan's soul fist loops don't pay off as much as other loops in the game. She is definitely better than her vanilla version, but her damage is still not good enough in Mahvel to put her up there. Her only viable approach is also from above and that really hurts her in a game where damage and mobility/teleports reign supreme.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dahbomb has mentioned "improved hit stun and damage on fireballs" for Morrigan at least 4 times and I still have no idea what he's talking about. The meter draining one does more damage, but that's it.

EDIT: I should really clean up the changes thread I made in the Morrigan subforum sometime, considering that it's still probably full of inaccuracies considering that it hasn't been updated since before the game dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom