• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

A Human Becoming said:
You're not a scrub then! :p How have you done online? Play anyone from GAF before?

scrub360 group is bigger than I expected. Half probably aren't scrubs, but we'll find out.

Everyone I played from the MvC 3 GAF tag pretty much destroyed me with chains lol.

Dartastic

Just saw that Iron Fist tech video. Dang, that's Manly. I really want to make that Phoenix Wright, Iron Fist... third character team.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A Human Becoming said:
GT?

Current scrub360 group:

A Human Becoming - ICallItFutile
Bark252 - Bark252
Parallax Scroll - ParallaxScroll
robot - pepperjack
d0c_zaius - d0c z5000
Smo21 - The Smo Show
Banana Kid - John Dudebro
striKeVillain! - StriKeVillain
Gunstarheroes - Gusntarheroes77
GuardianE - GuardianE9999
Giard - LeGiard
akilshohen - Akilla05
Toski - Outlaw Viper
Teknoman - TeknomanEX
RS4 - dokterrhouse
Stabby McSter - OGK stersauce
shaowebb - Dynasty Penguin

I think too many people consider themselves scrubs, but we'll see how large the range in skill is.

Count me in. If I win too much then you can take me out. I only have 50% win rate.... -.-

Q said:
Who said you will be taking any chip damage, you are not my target in these situations :p
Haha, don't think you'll get your hands on Morrigan! She's only vulnerable for 10 frames, and it's at the START of the assist. It's like punishing Haggar in reverse! She's easily the safest assist in the game. I've lost her less than 10 times in the 1000+ matches I've been using her on this team.

Unrelated:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/bfbs.png/

Mit- said:
I think the tiers are still going to end up far more defined. People think that Spider-Man is being slept on but he's not. What distinguishes a top tier rushdown character (like Wolverine) from a low-tier (Spider-Man) is the ability to pick up combos off of literally any hit that you land. Wolverine can do big damage off air throw (with assist), anywhere in the air (dive kick), aerial opponents (jump loops/dive kick/big hitboxes), instant overhead (with assist usually), left/right crossup (with assist). Spider-man's best combos all revolved around landing a clean hit on a grounded opponent. His hitboxes are not great and he can't land his complex combos off airborne, and especially smaller, opponents. In vanilla, he could not combo off air throw (unless in corner with Wesker/Deadpool). He has no left/right mixup game. The only thing he can do is crossup with web zip/air dash midscreen, but it's negated by advancing guard. All he does is constant high-lows and good players will defend against it all day.

And now he doesn't even do huge damage anymore. If he gets an UWT reset he can, but if that ever became prominent, people would learn to beat it, because in reality, like, 90% of the cast can beat UWT resets, they just have to know how.

The only real buff that advances Spidey's tier position (as top level of play) is his new ability to combo off of air throws. This is the biggest advantage from his new OTG. Also, it probably doesn't work in the corner, but it's something. Otherwise, he's got a better pressure game now with his web cancels (slightly, web zip doesn't do godlike hitstun anymore), but his other buffs like an OTG really don't add very much.

I mean, the game isn't officially out yet, but I'd bet money that in 6 months there will be no Spider-Men in Top 8 of any large tournament.

Yo, I'ma hold this. Peter will rise once more. Needing assists to make the character potent =/= bad character. As long as he can open people up better -- which all his buffs point to -- he is a better character IMO.

As for your thoughts on his hitboxes, most of them aren't cheap enough, you're right. But that doesn't mean they're bad. They're pretty confirmable with some practice. Nothing Iron Man bad at all.

Anyone putting Vanilla Spider-Man lower than 15 is crazy or hasn't played a real one. And Ultimate Spider-Man will be better. Speed is looking to be more important than damage in this game.

Everyone dies in two combos anyway.

And according to the guide, Web Zip block and hit stun are exactly the same.

I'd bet money on you're top 8 bet too, though. How many legitimate Zero players are there, 3? Zero murders most of the top tier other than Dante who has the only hitboxes cheap enough to go toe to toe with his. But it took work to be good enough with Zero. Like it does with Viper, and Spider-Man. He's not as good as those characters, but he's far from low-tier/not viable. People just need to put in time.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
dankir said:
Well I guess it can't be anything else. Haggar's Saturday night slam masters outfit is fucking sick, so is the ADON Taskie.

Good stuff Cacpom,

Actually, it's from final fight 3.

I guess people started to digging around the disc.. I guess no one found any extra characters.. What a shame.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Karsticles said:
Haha, don't think you'll get your hands on Morrigan! She's only vulnerable for 10 frames, and it's at the START of the assist. It's like punishing Haggar in reverse! She's easily the safest assist in the game. I've lost her less than 10 times in the 1000+ matches I've been using her on this team.
I got stupid amounts of luck I'll magically tap her ass once a match xD

Degen

Less than 24 hours remain until someone gets OTG Rocket Punched, OTG Gamma Waved and Hyper'd by Nemesis in one ridiculous combo

will it be you!?

koryuken

IntelliHeath said:
Count me in. If I win too much then you can take me out. I only have 50% win rate.... -.-

Add me in there: ) Koryuken. Im not a terrible scrub, but I will be using two new characters (so I will only know what im doing with 1 char)...previously a phoenix player/fraud.

Mit-

Killa Sasa said:
Everyone dies in two combos anyway.
You know, I never really looked at the game this way. That is my new focus for any character that I play. Land the most damaging but easiest/safest combo, and concentrate on the setup afterwards to land it again. If you have a good setup you have a dead character.

On web zip, I guess Rahsaan was off in his early observations. Either that or it was an early change that was fixed for final release. Any notable combos/strategies from the guide?

shaowebb

Mit- said:
You know, I never really looked at the game this way. That is my new focus for any character that I play. Land the most damaging but easiest/safest combo, and concentrate on the setup afterwards to land it again. If you have a good setup you have a dead character.

On web zip, I guess Rahsaan was off in his early observations. Either that or it was an early change that was fixed for final release. Any notable combos/strategies from the guide?

Its a pretty simple and true statement to live by. It lets you focus on setups more than combos which is really the bread and butter of winning at this game. Who cares if you got a billion hit combo if its hard to start or force folks into and can be dropped? Pick something that works, only go risky if it'll kill or you need the meter, and focus on opening people up. This is why I suck though...I use Ryu and super jump too much to setup proper assists for most things. All I do is tatsu crossup.

This is why the top tier players generally are the guys that can start their shit pretty easily without help. Maybe this is why I went from being screwed against Dante derp a derp hammer team the other day to destroying him once I switched to an assist heavy strategy using Jamming bomb and Storm. Even on rush in that shits hard to deal with because it eliminated jumping and eventually the blockstring turned into a hit for a combo.

This is why Strider Vajra assist turns me on soooooo much.

Mit- said:
The only real buff that advances Spidey's tier position (as top level of play) is his new ability to combo off of air throws. This is the biggest advantage from his new OTG. Also, it probably doesn't work in the corner, but it's something. Otherwise, he's got a better pressure game now with his web cancels (slightly, web zip doesn't do godlike hitstun anymore), but his other buffs like an OTG really don't add very much.

I mean, the game isn't officially out yet, but I'd bet money that in 6 months there will be no Spider-Men in Top 8 of any large tournament.

It has been confirmed that web zip is +19 on hit +17 on block, so that plus his web zip speed boast and the web zip cancels (he will be able to do Strider like web ball -> web zip mixups) will drastically improve his mixup ability. Spiderman has a lot of hidden tech that no one has ever explored, Viscant mentioned how his web ball assists leads to unavoidable resets with characters like She Hulk, and how with his weird hitbox no one in this game save Ammy could beat Spiderman in an air throw battle. Once people explore all these technology Spiderman's true danger will be exposed. My feeling is that this game will heavily favor the characters like Spiderman and Spencer who can move around the screen easily and hit the characters like Doom, Vergil and Chris easily from their blind spots.

Mit- said:

Pretty sure it was fixed for final release, because I noticed it in the Evo build being worse too, but the guide says it's back to normal again.

Nothing amazing (lol) from the guide for Spider-Man IMO. Pretty standard fare, but then again, the Spider-Man section was just decent last time around too. Good overview for beginners.

Never agreed with them saying Spider-Sting was bad outside of combos, though. Cancel to bite, 0 on block for a high priority DP that sets up an easy combo? It was probably the best DP in Vanilla.

FRvLU.png

Probably gonna swap for blue whenever UDON Tasky comes out. Strange dies fast! I need to be more defensive with him. (Or just a heck of a lot better in general.) I can't come up with a clever name for this trio. :c

Can toss me up on that scrub PSN list as well, my PSN is the same as my username here.

shaowebb

I swear Dr. Strange looks like he's having an old person moment in his win pose.

"meeeeeeeeh...? Maaaaaaaartha....I think I pooped myself a little....."
Professor Beef said:
I can't unsee Dr. Strange making an O face for his win pose.

Or this. Can't it be both?

dankir

Banana Kid said:
Because they haven't made a Darkstalkers game in approximately a million years.

Yeah pretty much. Darkstalkers in the past 10 years have been Felicia and Morrigan.... none of this John Talbain business.

Bizazedo

Been playing Ultimate pretty much nonstop since Saturday. Yay stores in Brooklyn and friends willing to bring my handicapped butt one here in Delaware.

Anyways..

I'd love to see someone use Nemesis effectively, because right now he looks like a walking target and..

The system changes / longer charging Buster / hitstun changes have hurt my beloved Zero far more than I anticipated.

Hey solarknight, remember when I said that enormous Zero combo I did might be in jeopardy? Yeah, it's gone :(.

Also, Nova is a lot of fun, but man he feels unsafe. Granted, Zero spoiled me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Bizazedo said:
Been playing Ultimate pretty much nonstop since Saturday. Yay stores in Brooklyn and friends willing to bring my handicapped butt one here in Delaware.

Anyways..

I'd love to see someone use Nemesis effectively, because right now he looks like a walking target and..

The system changes / longer charging Buster / hitstun changes have hurt my beloved Zero far more than I anticipated.

Hey solarknight, remember when I said that enormous Zero combo I did might be in jeopardy? Yeah, it's gone :(.

Also, Nova is a lot of fun, but man he feels unsafe. Granted, Zero spoiled me.

I'm planning on using a Nem team after I get firebrand and rocky down. Pretty much everyone I see use him have done it super fucking wrong.

Azure J

QisTopTier said:
Eh I rather have Jedah the most he fits the engine more than any other cast member outside of Phobos and Pyron

Pyron would be so fucking broken, even by Marvel standards. :lol

Edit: God's Beard knows what's up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom