• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Joe sets up Tac level ups for Frank. The low damage/high number of hits in Joes combos mean he can rely on Tacs to get the job done. The Shopping Cart is great for locking players in position after a slow down for that invisible overhead.

I think the team works really well.

Been messing around a little bit with Wesker/Magneto/Haggar. Kind of fun. Wesker gets cool combos off of Magneto or Thor's shockwave into counter DHCs, which is cool if you have a matchup like Zero or Firebrand.
How's that sticking to one team coming? ;-)

Pretty much just the insane TAC hits which isn't a unique thing. Especially now that Frank has a TAC infinite.
Yeah, but that's not a lot to go on. It would be better if he had a character that can DHC into Frank and get full combos. I'm pretty sure X-23 can do this.

Joe sets up Tac level ups for Frank. The low damage/high number of hits in Joes combos mean he can rely on Tacs to get the job done. The Shopping Cart is great for locking players in position after a slow down for that invisible overhead.

I think the team works really well.
It's better not to have to TAC, though. Shopping Cart pushes the opponent back a lot, and Joe isn't a very fast mover. A character like Wolverine or X-23 makes amazing use of Shopping Cart because they can move right along with it, but Viewtiful Joe tends to be lagging behind it. Kusoru rarely uses it outside of corners, and Joe is usually running away so that isn't likely to happen often.

Edit: Hum, NerdJosh thinks there are still DHC glitches in the game.

The TACs work, though.

In other news, I'm finally getting a format down for the training guide master list. (See the Strider section) I'm also using this to get reaccustomed to using Google Drive for sharing stuff again. You can comment on it and let me know if it's readable and I'll try to be less lazy and adjust as per your suggestions. Everyone that contributes also gets a nice little shout out for whatever they contributed. :D
Oh I see. Not including my Joe writeeup after I slaved hours minutes at my keyboard?

FSLink

Banned
ggs to Slasher. No idea what was going on with my connection, but yeah have to head to work. Didn't get a chance to setup recording :)/) so we'll have to do it again, lol. I wish I recorded that normal Wright (me) vs Turnabout Wright (you) and I did Order in the Court whiff to avoid chip->Roll->ground grab->Order in the Court to get the win barely. XD

Hulk is so weird to play against and the unblockable setups you got going are ridiculous, Doom's Beam definitely works better against him and Wright's shield. Also zip loops don't work with Spencer online apparently. :( or at least with my connection.

The TACs work, though.
1/3rd of the time.

Oh I see. Not including my Joe writeeup after I slaved hours minutes at my keyboard?
LOL. Your writeup was kind of tangential to the point...

ggs to Slasher. No idea what was going on with my connection, but yeah have to head to work. Didn't get a chance to setup recording :)/) so we'll have to do it again, lol. I wish I recorded that normal Wright (me) vs Turnabout Wright (you) and I did Order in the Court whiff to avoid chip->Roll->ground grab->Order in the Court to get the win barely. XD

Hulk is so weird to play against and the unblockable setups you got going are ridiculous, Doom's Beam definitely works better against him and Wright's shield. Also zip loops don't work with Spencer online apparently. :( or at least with my connection.
WHAAAAT? No recording?! Raaaaage!

I want to know the final score.

Solune

Can someone explain why players like Padtrick burn X-factor to hit confirm off Vajra while this is possible?
As Dahbomb already said, there was a video that ChromeAlchemist posted where you could follow up A Helm Breaker + Vajra IF he burnt meter in DT. I made that video to prove that you don't need DT, he never ok'd the video response though.

Also that's one of the reasons I don't like Vajra with Vergil because he can't get a full combo from it, but people like the mixup potential and don't mind burning X factor.
I was wondering if Gaf can help me with something? I started learning to play this game and the Arcade Stick over the Summer and I'm pretty happy with my progress. I wanted to startout playing with Spider-man but felt it would be overwhelming, so I settled on Nova/x/Sentinel. I feel like picking up Spider-man now and was wondering if I should slot him into that team as I never really had a second character, and it would allow me to focus on learning Spider-man. The other option is to build a team around Spidey looking to utilize his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses, and I am prepared to invest the necessary time and effort in other characters (In my mind: Vergil, Doom or Magneto). Since you all have experience learning new characters all the time I thought I might be able to get some help with this.
Honestly I would put Spider-man on point on this team, he gets sick combos from Centurion Arts B and Drones. I haven't tested but if Spider-man is second on this team he may be able to get a full combo from Nova's air throw tech. Ideally Spider-man should probably be on point but, being second doesn't hurt since Nova does good damage already and you can probably do some sick stuff with Web Ball assist. I don't think Nova can setup Ultimate Web Throw though DHC, but he can set it up using his Energy Javelin reset and other setups. It's not a bad team.
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| INFINITE DOOMS

Before someone brought it to my attention that Doom says "Failure is beneath Doom" upon death, I always heard "Infinity Doom". True Story.

I am warming up to Vajra/Vergil simply because Vergil pretty much covers the horizontal on his own, and jumping is his nemesis. Vajra helps lock that option down so he can keep the left/right pressure going.

Yea those games were great FSLink. Well except for those constant random disconnects. I would really love some recording for next time. The moment you described was the hypest moment of the set. I agree facing off against another Wright is very troublesome. It's like "Wait, my normal tactics don't work...now what" Wright vs Wright is always race to the evidence and followed by a straight up zoning war. I am happy I play Wright first and you play him second so that didn't happen too much.

I was most impressed on how well your "naked" Wright was. Many a times you started some comebacks simply from doing a small investagation B&B into order in the court followed by an X-Factor into another round of the same. I need to abuse Wright's X-Factor damage boost a little more when I catch someone instead of saving it for Tournabout or anchor Wesker everytime. It was nice to see some nice Wright tech from both sides.

Even though I won the most games I got to give you props because I just stick to one team, you switched to a couple of different Wright teams.

subtles

Honestly I would put Spider-man on point on this team, he gets sick combos from Centurion Arts B and Drones. I haven't tested but if Spider-man is second on this team he may be able to get a full combo from Nova's air throw tech. Ideally Spider-man should probably be on point but, being second doesn't hurt since Nova does good damage already and you can probably do some sick stuff with Web Ball assist.

Can Nova get a combo off of Spidey's Web throw Hard knockdown? I'll also try and find some Ultimate Web throw resets, the one with Wesker is quite fun.

Solune

I am warming up to Vajra/Vergil simply because Vergil pretty much covers the horizontal on his own, and jumping is his nemesis. Vajra helps lock that option down so he can keep the left/right pressure going.
There's that too. Vajra's application is just really strong in general. Even if you can only get an OTG super as a followup the damage starts to add up quickly.
Can Nova get a combo off of Spidey's Web throw Hard knockdown? I'll also try and find some Ultimate Web throw resets, the one with Wesker is quite fun.

It's spacing dependent of where you are towards the corner, but if Spidey throws them into the corner, yes. Both the Centurion Rush A and f+H followups are possible.

And I just tested it, Spidey can combo from Nova's airthrow but the timing is too tight to be practical.

FSLink

Banned
Yea those games were great FSLink. Well except for those constant random disconnects. I would really love some recording for next time. The moment you described was the hypest moment of the set. I agree facing off against another Wright is very troublesome. It's like "Wait, my normal tactics don't work...now what" Wright vs Wright is always race to the evidence and followed by a straight up zoning war. I am happy I play Wright first and you play him second so that didn't happen too much.

I was most impressed on how well your "naked" Wright was. Many a times you started some comebacks simply from doing a small investagation B&B into order in the court followed by an X-Factor into another round of the same. I need to abuse Wright's X-Factor damage boost a little more when I catch someone instead of saving it for Tournabout or anchor Wesker everytime. It was nice to see some nice Wright tech from both sides.

Even though I won the most games I got to give you props because I just stick to one team, you switched to a couple of different Wright teams.

Yeah won't be able to record for awhile since I'm taking a vacation back home to Vegas for 2 weeks, but definitely. This won't be our last set for sure, lol.

And yeah, fighting another Wright is just so mind boggling. Especially with combining Maya shield armor + Hulk anti-air assist, it's so much harder to get in when I only have one assist to help me do so. I was too stubborn to try a team without Wright haha. I did get to try out most of my Wright teams, lol. Starting to think that I should run Wright on point against other Wrights but I want to avoid the boring mirror match of collecting evidence->pray and not get bad evidence/food->zone.

I abuse the hell out of his X-Factor if I can get a happy birthday, yeah. Also burned it sometimes just to kill at least one character (especially if I caught Hulk or Wesker, lol) and get some momentum going.

Also tried to incorporate Maya Shield xx Trial Mode, then if the opponent is near and pressing a button, cM sH L Press the Witness, dash forward, continue combo. I think I only managed to do it twice against you, it's nice for a bit of extra damage especially if Wright's alone and needs to get a kill.
Also have to ask, was there a reason why you didn't go for evidence grab before Wesker OTG xx s.S or was it due to lag?

As for the Vajra + Vergil talk, I like Vergil/Hawkeye or Doom (beam)/Strider. :p

Vanilla MvC3 DLC only. All of that transfers over to UMvC3, though, remember. That's the original 6 costume pack (IM/Cap/Thor/Chris/Dante/Forget the last one).
Oh. That's lame. I would buy some costumes if I could mix and match forms. I like Vergil's DLC Devil Trigger graphic, it's badass. But I don't want "corrupted" Vergil. :-( Every time I Devil Trigger I feel like Morrigan's cheering is helping Vergil become a man.

How's that sticking to one team coming? ;-)
I don't have any reason to change Magneto/Doom/X-23 as far as I've been able to tell, but I need to take breaks every once in a while and mess around. I don't have anybody really to play, so I just wind up doing the same excersizes with that team in training mode over and over.

mr. puppy

Banned
well i'm gonna go give ghost rider another spin. Is his best team pretty much Ghost/Dante/Doom or Ghost/Dante/Strider?

I remember the good old days of a year ago when this shit was coming out and I was going to do firebrand/dante/ghost with him on that hellfire spell which was supposed to be the new lariat :(

well i'm gonna go give ghost rider another spin. Is his best team pretty much Ghost/Dante/Doom or Ghost/Dante/Strider?

I remember the good old days of a year ago when this shit was coming out and I was going to do firebrand/dante/ghost with him on that hellfire spell which was supposed to be the new lariat :(

I'm not sure if it's his BEST team, but F.Champ was rocking faces with Rider/Hawkeye/Doom Missiles on FFF the other day.

I liked that thread at the time because it backfired on the dude who made it.

Fuck ROB.
I couldn't dig ROB. In 2D fighting games, I can usually appreciate every character and enjoy playing him/her to some degree, but now and then I encounter a character that I loathe entirely. Hell, I can even appreciate Wesker and Chris from a gameplay standpoint. ROB? I don't get ROB.

Rob does indeed suck.

Had some extended training time with Alberto Del Wesker for shits and gigs. No wonder people play him, he moves like butter.

Rob does indeed suck.

Had some extended training time with Alberto Del Wesker for shits and gigs. No wonder people play him, he moves like butter.
Ever notice that all of the characters people think are top tier have highly responsive movement? Except for Dormammu and Morrigan, both of whom are only top tier when backed by Hidden Missiles.

I used ROB for the first time about a week or so ago, and he's a fine character with good pokes and footsies...but I can't stand ROB the character at all. Kinda like Deadpool. I don't really dig the character that much (probably because nobody will shut up about him), but I like how he works in Marvel.

Ever notice that all of the characters people think are top tier have highly responsive movement? Except for Dormammu and Morrigan, both of whom are only top tier when backed by Hidden Missiles.

Yup. By the same token, characters I think are the worst also have pretty subpar movement. I can't believe they left HsienKo in the way she is.

There's unnatural movement, bad movement, and then just "doesn't feel finished as a character" movement.

WHY DOESN'T WESKER'S AIR GUNSHOT OTG

>:-(
Using her perfect mastery of Tai Chi, Chun-li is able to create a massive burst of energy known as the Kikosho. Her skill is so great that she is able to create a protective bubble around her opponent if he or she is laying on the ground, so as not to fight dishonorably.

Dahbomb

You mean on the ground? Doom has lousy ground movement yet is top tier.

Mobility is a major component of character worth in Marvel. It is among my 5 pillars of top tier character traits. Also Dorm and Morrigan might have bad ground movement but they have good movement in the air and can play it to their strength. Contrast to Sentinel who has really great ground movement but limited air mobility is decisively mid tier.

The biggest exception to the rule is Strom. Superlative aerial and ground mobility but not quite a top tier character.

Tirael

Yup. By the same token, characters I think are the worst also have pretty subpar movement. I can't believe they left HsienKo in the way she is.

There's unnatural movement, bad movement, and then just "doesn't feel finished as a character" movement.

BUT HER FORWARD DASH IS INVINCIBLE GUIZE

AND SHE HAS AN AIRDASH. THAT'S ALL SHE NEEDS.

WHY DOESN'T WESKER'S AIR GUNSHOT OTG

>:-(

Whoa, it doesn't? Color me surprised. Especially since that doesn't, but Fireworks DOES.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Whoa, it doesn't? Color me surprised. Especially since that doesn't, but Fireworks DOES.
I learned that from one of the videos posted in here recently and my mind was appropriately blown.

How many OTG moves does Dante have goddamn. Like 5 or 6 at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom