• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

So I was just thinking of a way for Dante to always get that acid rain into raw tag and FoF loop because it only happens when he gets that acid rain to hit correctly. Do you guys think it would be possible to just use a dp assist extension like vergils to guarantee the correct acid rain into raw tag every time?

?

I had a bit of an extended set with a friend from SRK. The matches were streamed (21:30 on) and I'd like to get a general idea of what I'm doing right/wrong or questions on what I was attempting from some of our GAF gurus here. Anyone up for it?
I'm watching from match two, and my first thought is that you're calling Jam Session too much, but there's no Vajra action going on.

It seems like you drop every single combo with every character on your team.

Your C. Viper is not aggressive enough up close. This is not a match you're going to win from far away, but you tend to back off after conflicts. There's no reason to ever be the one backing up when your opponent is in a corner with C. Viper. I never see you poke with Thunder Knuckle.

Raw tagging Strider in with 0 bars is a bad idea. He is notably worse in XF2 compared to XF3, and you have no good assists to support him.

You have fabulous execution, though, and I like your Strider and Dante. Though Dante needs to be more aggressive. A little too much zoning even for me there.

Sayah

So now I decided to have a team of Trish/Deadpool/Taskmaster. Not sure how this will work but at least all of them have long range options.

Not gonna chase around opponents. Gonna do all the camping I can, haha.

Anyway, which arrow assist is best for Taskmaster? And is he good at anchor position? I learned the following combo for him:

cr.l, cr.m, cr.h, f+h, m (in air), h (in air), f+h, m (in air), h (in air), b+h, S, j.m, j.h, j.s. Followed by hyper. Works mid screen and in corners so it's good.

That's all I know for now.

So now I decided to have a team of Trish/Deadpool/Taskmaster. Not sure how this will work but at least all of them have long range options.

Not gonna chase around opponents. Gonna do all the camping I can, haha.

Anyway, which arrow assist is best for Taskmaster? And is he good at anchor position? I learned the following combo for him:

cr.l, cr.m, cr.h, f+h, m (in air), h (in air), f+h, m (in air), h (in air), b+h, S, j.m, j.h, j.s. Followed by hyper. Works mid screen and in corners so it's good.

That's all I know for now.
I'd say Taskmaster is "solid" as an anchor. Not good or great, but solid. Mostly because his throws into arrows do massive damage in XF3.

Taskmaster should use L arrows for Deadpool. Trish could go with L or H arrows and do well. She might even prefer H arrows, but Deadpool definitely prefers L arrows. Use Katana-rama! for Deadpool, and probably Peekaboo for Trish.

Azure J

I'm watching from match two, and my first thought is that you're calling Jam Session too much, but there's no Vajra action going on.

It seems like you drop every single combo with every character on your team.

Your C. Viper is not aggressive enough up close. This is not a match you're going to win from far away, but you tend to back off after conflicts. There's no reason to ever be the one backing up when your opponent is in a corner with C. Viper. I never see you poke with Thunder Knuckle.

Raw tagging Strider in with 0 bars is a bad idea. He is notably worse in XF2 compared to XF3, and you have no good assists to support him.

You have fabulous execution, though, and I like your Strider and Dante. Though Dante needs to be more aggressive. A little too much zoning even for me there.

Yeah, watching this after the fact has given me a bit of a guideline to work with. I need to work on dashing in under people flying while calling Vajra. I just got a bit nervous about calling Strider since I'm used to everyone having anti ninja tech, but there were some times where I would really capitalize off it.

Never thought of using the Thunder Knuckle as an actual poke though. I feel like I always need to mix it up at second attempt. That's why I always awkwardly cut the c.M xx Thunder Knuckle M strings abruptly and attempt to go for something trickier especially when there's no change in state from the opponent.

Still working on being more aggressive and would appreciate anything further comment wise. :)

Yeah, watching this after the fact has given me a bit of a guideline to work with. I need to work on dashing in under people flying while calling Vajra. I just got a bit nervous about calling Strider since I'm used to everyone having anti ninja tech, but there were some times where I would really capitalize off it.

Never thought of using the Thunder Knuckle as an actual poke though. I feel like I always need to mix it up at second attempt. That's why I always awkwardly cut the c.M xx Thunder Knuckle M strings abruptly and attempt to go for something trickier especially when there's no change in state from the opponent.

Still working on being more aggressive and would appreciate anything further comment wise. :)
Work on that stuff and give me another video in 2 weeks, and I'll watch another ~15 minutes and provide feedback. Also, I'm not sure if you know this, but if you drop out of a combo at superjump height, you can call assists. Your opponent dropped a lot of combos with Magneto, and every time you could have called Vajra and hammered him to the ground.

GGs to Beef, 946 games.

That must've been the most satisfying Gravity Squeeze ever, GB. :lol :lol

Actually wanted shockwave in that situation so I could use the meter on Arthur, which would have killed him when I got that next hit. I had similar problems with Phantom Dance crossing up and flipping my DHC inputs which is really annoying when I get Dark Dimension instead of Stalking Flare. Overall I made a lot of really poor decisions and crucial drops in our set but I think I'm learning. At this point I'm pretty confident I can beat your Wright and lag armor teams no problem but Joe is a huge issue, especially that last one with Arthur. Slowly figuring out my spots, though.

The main problem I have with the Wesker/Joe matchup is that it's hard to tell what I need to do to not have low shot whiff, since i have to make different adjustments for midscreen and the corner. There were too many times where I landed the hit and couldn't convert because of that compared to your Joe TAC combos killing off Wesker. That and the anti-air confirm makes wesker cross under because of Joe's small body. My Dorm is useless but I already know that and that's why I'm playing him. I was a lot happier when it was 12-15 and I had won 5 games in a row than the end at 14-25 because you swapped back to Joe LOL

Sayah

I'd say Taskmaster is "solid" as an anchor. Not good or great, but solid. Mostly because his throws into arrows do massive damage in XF3.

Taskmaster should use L arrows for Deadpool. Trish could go with L or H arrows and do well. She might even prefer H arrows, but Deadpool definitely prefers L arrows. Use Katana-rama! for Deadpool, and probably Peekaboo for Trish.

That's exactly how I had it setup too. L arrows for Taskmaster. Katana-rama for Deadpool. Peakaboo for Trish.

That's exactly how I had it setup too. L arrows for Taskmaster. Katana-rama for Deadpool. Peakaboo for Trish.
Cool. Hmmm. Then again, Quick Work might not be a bad choice for Deadpool. Then you could do Trish's Round Harvest unblockable setups.

1) Trish bnb.
2) Round Harvest.
3) Raw tag Taskmaster.
4) Call Quick Work and do j.H with Taskmaster.

It's a thought.

Also, don't forget that you have matches to play with Onionfrog for the tournament!

GGs to Beef, 946 games.

Actually wanted shockwave in that situation so I could use the meter on Arthur, which would have killed him when I got that next hit. I had similar problems with Phantom Dance crossing up and flipping my DHC inputs which is really annoying when I get Dark Dimension instead of Stalking Flare. Overall I made a lot of really poor decisions and crucial drops in our set but I think I'm learning. At this point I'm pretty confident I can beat your Wright and lag armor teams no problem but Joe is a huge issue, especially that last one with Arthur. Slowly figuring out my spots, though.

The main problem I have with the Wesker/Joe matchup is that it's hard to tell what I need to do to not have low shot whiff, since i have to make different adjustments for midscreen and the corner. There were too many times where I landed the hit and couldn't convert because of that compared to your Joe TAC combos killing off Wesker. That and the anti-air confirm makes wesker cross under because of Joe's small body. My Dorm is useless but I already know that and that's why I'm playing him. I was a lot happier when it was 12-15 and I had won 5 games in a row than the end at 14-25 because you swapped back to Joe LOL

I would've switched back to Joe earlier, but I really wanted that Wright Level 3. So glad I got it when you decided to mash with Jean.

I still don't know who I want as an anchor for Joe/Frank, but Arthur was working for a bit because those knives do a nice job of chipping. I really need a projectile assist, but none of the good projectile assists in the game are tied to characters that I like or know how to use. I could try using Ryu or Akuma, but that would probably just be asking for trouble to use their Hadoken assist.
Also, don't forget that you have matches to play with Onionfrog for the tournament!

Wednesday is the last day!

Solune

Hmm? I thought it was pretty explicit that she kills herself with the explosion.

Let's say that for all purposes aside from damage and radius, it's the same as Dark Phoenix Rising.
I'm not really sure if it needs to be deemed fair or not, I mean essentially if you have 5 bars you have two explosions happening one after the other, correct? Perhaps I'm looking at it from the wrong angle but I don't think it's something that's necessary other than to turn DP at your own will.
So I was just thinking of a way for Dante to always get that acid rain into raw tag and FoF loop because it only happens when he gets that acid rain to hit correctly. Do you guys think it would be possible to just use a dp assist extension like vergils to guarantee the correct acid rain into raw tag every time?

No because you can't rawtag until your assist has disappeared from the screen, meaning for the duration of your Acid Rain, you most likely cannot rawtag to get the FotF loop anyways.

No, for Sayah to finish his round. Challonge has a handy log feature that tells me when each match was completed so it's easier for me to track people's week-long deadlines from each game.
Oh, so the 1 week time limit is from when you complete your match, not from a set, weekly time? I did not read the rules carefully enough! When do I have to play ILL-Virtue?

I'm not really sure if it needs to be deemed fair or not, I mean essentially if you have 5 bars you have two explosions happening one after the other, correct? Perhaps I'm looking at it from the wrong angle but I don't think it's something that's necessary other than to turn DP at your own will.
It's one explosion that replaced the Dark Phoenix Rising one. I was not clear on that.

I still don't know who I want as an anchor for Joe/Frank, but Arthur was working for a bit because those knives do a nice job of chipping. I really need a projectile assist, but none of the good projectile assists in the game are tied to characters that I like or know how to use. I could try using Ryu or Akuma, but that would probably just be asking for trouble to use their Hadoken assist.

!

Clearly Joe/Sentinel/Rocket Raccoon is the solution.

shaowebb

I ended up helping my buddy learn to play some KoF XIII today and I got pulled into training in it again. Not gonna spread out on multiple games again so I guess I'm quickly abandoning my own idea for random teams. Have fun doing it if you want though, but I just had more fun on KoF than I think I would playing characters I wasn't into in UMVC3 today to try and get back into it. Maybe if Marvel does get a patch and stuff gets changed in interesting ways across the board I'll start over, but I think Im through...I just lost interest. Hardly played anyhow after college got done with my time and now its being taken by my studio.

Been fun. You'll see me in KoF XIII forums if I get to do much playing at all. Deadlines are kicking in on our indie studio's title and I'm swamped with doing models, QA, and having to write up the design bible for the battle system for the coders.

I ended up helping my buddy learn to play some KoF XIII today and I got pulled into training in it again. Not gonna spread out on multiple games again so I guess I'm quickly abandoning my own idea for random teams. Have fun doing it if you want though, but I just had more fun on KoF than I think I would playing characters I wasn't into in UMVC3 today to try and get back into it. Maybe if Marvel does get a patch and stuff gets changed in interesting ways across the board I'll start over, but I think Im through...I just lost interest. Hardly played anyhow after college got done with my time and now its being taken by my studio.

Been fun. You'll see me in KoF XIII forums if I get to do much playing at all. Deadlines are kicking in on our indie studio's title and I'm swamped with doing models, QA, and having to write up the design bible for the battle system for the coders.
We'll see you again when the game gets an extension and Iron Fist is SSS tier.

Also, FChamp on stream trying to figure out Morrigan, haha.

You don't like playing Sentinel? If you're going to play a TAC team, might as well learn the sentinel infinite, kill and DHC to mad hopper, do the unblockable then do it all again. Plus log trap is awesome for Sentinel.

It's mainly because I don't like Raccoon despite how good Log Trap is.

shaowebb

We'll see you again when the game gets an extension and Iron Fist is SSS tier.

Also, FChamp on stream trying to figure out Morrigan, haha.

Maybe. What can I say? I just got into the footsie stylings of KoF more than the entrapment tactics of Marvel setup tech. Just them and me... no assists to change the matchup options. Its nice and the cancel systems are addictive as hell in making combos and learning to maximize your damage by getting your timings down. I played nothing but footsie dudes in both Marvel's so its not really a wonder KoF took hold so well. Its a whole game of the style I play.

Guess its time for a new avatar.

It's mainly because I don't like Raccoon despite how good Log Trap is.

Rocket Raccoon is amazing! I think the unblockable solves a lot of his problems because it changes the order of a team and Rocket isn't really a great anchor or point character. So you have some flexibility with where you want him.

Guess its time for a new avatar.
I think we both know who goes next for your avatar:
J9nfB.jpg
Rocket Raccoon is amazing! I think the unblockable solves a lot of his problems because it changes the order of a team and Rocket isn't really a great anchor or point character. So you have some flexibility with where you want him.
What unblockable?

What unblockable?

After you kill a character, DHC an additional time to Mad Hopper, dash forward, boulder trap, raw tag to whoever. Then bring the incoming character to the ground with whatever blockstring and they land on Mad Hopper which keeps them in blockstun long enough for Boulder trap to activate while you dash up and low them. It needs resets(TAC) or access to a character that can build two bars because it costs 3 meters but it's pretty awesome.

Sayah

Cool. Hmmm. Then again, Quick Work might not be a bad choice for Deadpool. Then you could do Trish's Round Harvest unblockable setups.

1) Trish bnb.
2) Round Harvest.
3) Raw tag Taskmaster.
4) Call Quick Work and do j.H with Taskmaster.

It's a thought.

Thanks. I will try that.

And yeah, I realize I'm stalling the bracket. Sorry about that. Will try to play onionfrog tomorrow night if he's there.

Sayah

Posted this in the weekly thread but wanted some input from here.
Ghost Rider's qcf+h (or maybe dp+h - can't remember) overrides morrigan projectiles. Not sure how useful that proves.

Can ghost rider with proper assist backing overcome morrigan pressure?

shaowebb

J9nfB.jpg

LOL!
As much as I love "Wreck it Ralf!" I gotta say that considering I'm not using him it probably aint for me. Though I got a buddy who plays him on a team with Kim. BTW screw Kim's pressure game coming in at anchor. He's why I started learning EX Kyo since my K' couldn't cope.

I play Andy/K'/EX Kyo and I used to play Vice as my big gun till EX Kyo won me over the past few months and I wanted both him and my old anchor K' on the same team. Did a little Chin and Claw too, but yeah not really enough Ralf to wreck it.

I'll come up with something fun though.

Ghost Rider has some good tools against Morrigan because he can BURN! away her projectiles and his qcb.M and qcb.L have animations long enough to make fireballs disappear. He would need Mystic Ray to make it work though, IMO, or Vajra.

BY THE THREE FATES I DID IT. I FOUND A WAY TO DHC FROM DORMAMMU TO MORRIGAN AND LAND SOUL DRAIN OMGWTFBBQLOL.

Solune

Good luck Shaowebb. You did some cool things in the Marvel community, I'm sure we'll see you around here and there, especially since your Scribblenauts adventures. Hope to see some interesting new endeavors.

I'm still gonna go through the random team generator tech, it's similar to the thread that Chrisis started so it's nice to have something here as well. I guess I'll just post my findings and upload a video when the time comes.
Ghost Rider has some good tools against Morrigan because he can BURN! away her projectiles and his qcb.M and qcb.L have animations long enough to make fireballs disappear. He would need Mystic Ray to make it work though, IMO, or Vajra.

BY THE THREE FATES I DID IT. I FOUND A WAY TO DHC FROM DORMAMMU TO MORRIGAN AND LAND SOUL DRAIN OMGWTFBBQLOL.

Haha, well deserved and hard work paid off!

Fleshing out my idea from the other thread:

Overload
0 Bars
Frames: 10 startup, 0 recovery, +15 on block, +40 on hit.
Input: rdp.AA
Deals 375,000 damage to Phoenix and creates an explosive sphere 25% larger than the one created by Dark Phoenix rises. Deals 200,000 damage to opponents caught in the blast and places them in a spinning knockdown.

Karst I was thinking, if this move can be used at any time and kills her, why not have it do more damage since it's basically a suicide hyper.

If I can add to it, instead of getting Dark Phoenix you would get White Crown Phoenix. Difference would be that she wouldn't get feathers or health drain. No feathers mean that she'd lose the fast meter gain and damage. But she'd be able to have the enhanced traps and Tk shots.Then again that would be over doing it a bit. But two transform hypers for her would be awesome to see.

Have you ever heard of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" before?
I just pass along information. Others are allowed to judge its merits.

Karst I was thinking, if this move can be used at any time and kills her, why not have it do more damage since it's basically a suicide hyper.

If I can add to it, instead of getting Dark Phoenix you would get White Crown Phoenix. Difference would be that she wouldn't get feathers or health drain. No feathers mean that she'd lose the fast meter gain and damage. But she'd be able to have the enhanced traps and Tk shots.Then again that would be over doing it a bit. But two transform hypers for her would be awesome to see.
Haha. You can do what you want to it, since it's not real. ;-)

I decided it would probably just be best to not have it do any damage at all, and have a normal blast radius. Being able to pick your Dark Phoenix activation is worth the price of admission on its own. It didn't need more damage because it causes spinning knockdown, and you could just dash up and kill your opponent after Dark Phoenix Rising goes live.

I just pass along information. Others are allowed to judge its merits.

Haha. You can do what you want to it, since it's not real. ;-)

I decided it would probably just be best to not have it do any damage at all, and have a normal blast radius. Being able to pick your Dark Phoenix activation is worth the price of admission on its own. It didn't need more damage because it causes spinning knockdown, and you could just dash up and kill your opponent after Dark Phoenix Rising goes live.

But you never know, someone could be reading...

What if instead it only applied damage if phoenix doesn't have the 5 bars.
Or instead only apply damage when she has over 3 bars but less then 5.
I better just shut up. Keep wanting to go into broken territory.

onionfrog

Sigmaah

Maybe it's the truth now since Marvel and Capcom are taking notice into the the demand the fans are sending to them... I WANT TO BELIEVE BROS.

I don't see why he would troll but a Zero nerf and Sentinel Buff(s) are fine with me. Then people can hop off my Zero!

Top Bottom