• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Pokemon Trainer A sends out Wesker! Go HULK!

HULK HULK HULK

Enemy Wesker uses Teleport H into J.S.

Enemy Wesker lands a big combo

It's super effective.

Hulk uses Standing H!

Oh no it's just out of range!

Enemy Wesker uses...

Hulk spams Gama Charge

It's not very effective

Enemy Wesker decideds to...

GAMMA CRUSH!

Oh no enemy Wesker blocks random Gamma Crush!

Hulk come back! Pokemon Trainer B DHC's into Power of the Nova Force

Enemy Wesker blocks

Enemy Wesker dashing in for a punish

Pokemone Trainer B Alpha Counter's Hulk back in

Hulk uses Standing H

JeTmAn81

Pokemon Trainer A sends out Wesker! Go HULK!

HULK HULK HULK

Enemy Wesker uses Teleport H into J.S.

Enemy Wesker lands a big combo

It's super effective.

Hulk uses Standing H!

Oh no it's just out of range!

Enemy Wesker uses...

Hulk spams Gama Charge

It's not very effective

Enemy Wesker decideds to...

GAMMA CRUSH!

Oh no enemy Wesker blocks random Gamma Crush!

Hulk come back! Pokemon Trainer B DHC's into Power of the Nova Force

Enemy Wesker blocks

Enemy Wesker dashing in for a punish

Pokemone Trainer B Alpha Counter's Hulk back in

Hulk uses Standing H

Did you get a combo off a crossover counter from Hulk? If so, which assist was he on?

It was just a joke, but it made me wonder. Can you X-Factor during an Alpha Counter? I wonder if I could X-Factor during Hulks super invincible Anti Air and maybe land a hit. Hmmm interesting.

GGs OnionFrog. Major difference between wireless and wired. It drives me nuts that Spencer gets full combos off of Bionic Lancer.

I'll play you now Karst! I'm hopped up because I found out the people across the street from me have Marvel sessions every week.
Has anything changed with your connection? -_-

onionfrog

GGs OnionFrog. Major difference between wireless and wired. It drives me nuts that Spencer gets full combos off of Bionic Lancer.

Has anything changed with your connection? -_-
Good games to you as well karst, I'll post some more about it later when I get the chance.

At least it's unsafe. Viper's EX Seismo is even more invincible, has no super flash, leads to full BnB and is completely safe.
Yeah, but it doesn't hit me from almost full screen. :p It's the combination of that and the retarded vertical hitbox. It should not hit above Spencer's height. Ghost Rider can't even j.S Spencer safely. -_-

Also Onionfrog, I wish you wouldn't have DHCed out of Bionic Lancer when I did Ghost Rider's level 3. I don't even know if it hits Spencer, and I never will because you kept DHCing! :p

Also, I spent some time with Vergil in training mode, and I can do the Lunar Phase follow-up in sword loops as well as the dash afterward that lets you switch sides. Yay!

Good games to you as well karst, I'll post some more about it later when I get the chance.
Thanks! I was surprised my Thor was doing so well, because I haven't picked him since Vanilla. Then again, he plays a lot like rushdown Dormammu, so I never feel like it takes a lot of effort. You are also the person who has gotten hit by the least Penance Stares. :-(

Ghost Rider's b.H should go up 1.5 far as it does, and Ghost Rider's ground dash should take him twice as far. Then I think he'd be a good character.

Edit: And he should get his whip specials in the air so he can do something in air-to-air combat. He's just sad in the current state.

smurfx

get some go again
any of you xbox live guys ever play this one guy called a8300154? lol dude rage quits every time. i keep playing him because i want him to get that medal downgrade.

Frantic

EX Seismo has a retarded vertical hit box too.
I've super jumped and tried to delay myself in the air with Air Play, and I've still gotten hit by EX Seismo. It felt like someone EX Seismo'd my brain when it first happened to me. That thing reaches to heavens.

Azure J

Man, I feel so fucking good tonight. Just had a long set with my brother afterquite a bit of time dedicated to getting better and the results paid off in spades. I actually have a Viper now and not a EX Thunder Knuckle/Seismo. :'D

Now watch me make all the worst mistakes/unlearn my pressuring and spacing games because I really wanted to pat myself on the back this once.

EX Seismo has a retarded vertical hit box too.

I think that was the funniest part of the Spy May Stride mirror match I had with Frantic a few days ago, I definitely went to about super jump height on one opening only to get smack on the toes by it and busted out laughing. :lol

Yeah but Bionic Lancer has both. :p

THIS one however is dumb as fuck. Nothing about the animation looks like it should hit someone at upper normal jump/lower double jump/half super jump height but sure enough that shit hits and makes me question everything about this game because of it. :lol

onionfrog

Also Onionfrog, I wish you wouldn't have DHCed out of Bionic Lancer when I did Ghost Rider's level 3. I don't even know if it hits Spencer, and I never will because you kept DHCing! :p

Thanks! I was surprised my Thor was doing so well, because I haven't picked him since Vanilla. Then again, he plays a lot like rushdown Dormammu, so I never feel like it takes a lot of effort. You are also the person who has gotten hit by the least Penance Stares. :-(

1. I thought you did land penance stare against a bionic arm in one of our matches... Although I could be wrong. Also I'm surprised that I'm the person that go hit by the least penance stares.
2. Nice ghost rider teams, I feel like gr/haggar/Arthur was the best combination. You're the first good ghost rider I've fought, he's really good at catching assists. Nice xf guard stun canceling into penance stare.
3. RE:spencer. I LOVE that he can get full combos off a grapple from just about anywhere on screen.
4. I feel like she-hulk is omega free to ghost rider, I dont think she has any answer to repeated b.H.
5. The constant meter gain you get off dark harmonizer is inspiring. Also I have no experience against a good morrigan. Soul fist wall + vajra worked really well.
6. Those repeated firebrand unblockable setups! Sooooo good!
7. I hope I taught you to never try to move after hawkeye's super scatter shot. :)
8. How was the connection? I though it was really good(probably the best online play I've ever had), but obviously my standards are low after playing wireless all the time.

Any comments/ criticism would be greatly appreciated.

This was the most fun I've had online in a very long time. I look forward to playing again soon.

EDIT: getting a full combo off haggar's pipe+daggers without using ground bounce was neat. And the haggar/Arthur thc was really cool too.

Azure J

I feel like I'm missing out on such a big party when people talk up TAC combos/infinites and I don't put much into mine beyond style with the Devil Trigger triple Vortex every now and again. :lol

1. I thought you did land penance stare against a bionic arm in one of our matches... Although I could be wrong. Also I'm surprised that I'm the person that go hit by the least penance stares.
Did I? Hmm.

Against most opponents it's not atypical for my to get a Penance Stare every match or two. Generally, any match that has been going my way and has my full team vs. an anchor leads to an XFC Penance Stare since all the popular anchors are in your face all the time.

2. Nice ghost rider teams, I feel like gr/haggar/Arthur was the best combination. You're the first good ghost rider I've fought, he's really good at catching assists. Nice xf guard stun canceling into penance stare.
Thank you! I'm still figuring out exactly how to use him. This was my first day using Haggar and Arthur, so it's hard to judge how good the team is. I was feeling good about my day 2 Ghost Rider until I fought a really good Zero...yeah...I don't know what to do about that one. I tried picking up Jam Session, but it wasn't helping too much because Ghost Rider can't confirm off of it. It's a weird situation with all anti-airs and Ghost Rider. He just can't DO anything off of any of them, as far as I know.

3. RE:spencer. I LOVE that he can get full combos off a grapple from just about anywhere on screen.
Yeah, it's great. -_- It's almost like a superior Ghost Rider! I felt good when it finally clicked that I could dp.M to anti-air you while flying about, though. I still have a lot to learn. Now that I think about it, when you do grapple + arrows, I should be doing b.H to cancel the arrows and hit Spencer.

4. I feel like she-hulk is omega free to ghost rider, I dont think she has any answer to repeated b.H.
He's a lot like Dormammu. Hard to get in on, but once you're in, you're in. I'm pretty used to the mindset, so that helps. There is a tool you didn't use of hers though, which is her b.H. It has pretty huge range. There are also holes in between the pillars, but it's not easy. If you jumped on one while blocking, you might be able to get a throw off (unsure of this). I've had Wesker players jump between the pillars and hit me.

5. The constant meter gain you get off dark harmonizer is inspiring. Also I have no experience against a good morrigan. Soul fist wall + vajra worked really well.
The big problem with Dark Harmonizer is that you no longer have a neutral assist. It feels like you're playing without a team in some sense. If you play that way long enough, though, you don't even know what to do with assists anymore, haha. Backing Dormammu with a normal assist just feels weird to me these days.

6. Those repeated firebrand unblockable setups! Sooooo good!
Thank you! Unfortunately, if my opponent knows the solution to the problem, they aren't quit as effective as they seem. Plus Firebrand doesn't have an assist to help him out, so against dedicated zoning teams he struggles a lot.

7. I hope I taught you to never try to move after hawkeye's super scatter shot. :)
I will keep trying, damn it! Especially when I'm using Ghost Rider and I'm inches from you. Every time I was like...right..THERE! I kept thinking I could do a tiny dash and nail you before the arrows landed, and I got caught every time.

8. How was the connection? I though it was really good(probably the best online play I've ever had), but obviously my standards are low after playing wireless all the time.
I thought it was really solid. Not the best I've played on, but if it's bad, I'll come here and complain because lag frustrates me so much. So, no complaints, that means it's good enough. :) There is one guy I play against where I swear there's no lag at all, and it's just amazing. It's the only time I don't loathe playing against Dante/Vergil/Strider/Wesker in some combination. The teleports are all...able to be reacted to, and stuff!

Any comments/ criticism would be greatly appreciated.
The biggest thing I have to say is that you should go for Bionic Lancer more often, and practice converting off of it until you can do it in your sleep. That's throwing away a character kill right there. If you have the ability, it'd be good to learn She-Hulk's longer combos, too. I feel like your Felicia/Thor team kind of lacks synergy and doesn't function well. Your Felicia would benefit from using her dp moves more, too. They're vicious in XF3. My normal sparring partner in Vanilla was a Felicia main, and he very rarely didn't kill 2 characters because there's so much chaos it makes XF3 Wesker look calm.

This was the most fun I've had online in a very long time. I look forward to playing again soon.
Excellent!

EDIT: getting a full combo off haggar's pipe+daggers without using ground bounce was neat. And the haggar/Arthur thc was really cool too.
I can't take credit for that one. I played a good bit against Evulsoider in Vanilla, and he mains Haggar/Hsien-ko/Arthur...and he makes it look so damn good.

Oh, and I figured out some secret Ghost Rider gold:
If you alpha counter into his chain whip assist, it seems to be invincible the entire time. I accidentally alpha countered into it while in blockstun from Chaotic Flame in one match, and Ghost Rider was immune to the hyper and I got a full combo on Dormammu. Pretty sweet alpha counter!

In terms of pure options, Is Wesker or Strider backed by a beam assist more likely to open up a majority of teams with the fewest hard match ups? They seem pretty similar to me, Strider has more screen control but Wesker has a command grab. In the overall meta game, which is more useful? Is Wesker's extra health the tipping point?

This is assuming I only need to get one hit on any given team.

In terms of pure options, Is Wesker or Strider backed by a beam assist more likely to open up a majority of teams with the fewest hard match ups? They seem pretty similar to me, Strider has more screen control but Wesker has a command grab. In the overall meta game, which is more useful? Is Wesker's extra health the tipping point?

This is assuming I only need to get one hit on any given team.
Strider. Command grabs only help against characters on the ground, and Wesker has no good anti-air options. In other words, Wesker has an actual weakness. Strider doesn't.

Dahbomb

Strider has better high lows and is a much bigger threat with a lock down assist. Strider can also convert from his ground throw and his pressure is superior.

But Wesker has to open up characters less than Strider which is more important currently. Wesker can chip a character with gunshot and then open up a weakened character for a Tod.

Hmm. I guess I need to get back to learning Strider.

Strider/Magneto/X-23 should be pretty fun, especially since I don't have to worry about his crazy combos on a TAC infinite team. I just need to get back to working on Magneto TAC infinites instead of Doom and Dante's.

I want to get away from on-point Magneto for a while because I have an urge to do super long combos with him, which is a really bad habit for a TAC player. It's hard enough just dropping Doom Missiles, but it's like making a deck in Magic. No matter how good the card is, if it isn't helping you get to your win condition, you should probably swap it out.

onionfrog

He's a lot like Dormammu. Hard to get in on, but once you're in, you're in. I'm pretty used to the mindset, so that helps. There is a tool you didn't use of hers though, which is her b.H. It has pretty huge range. There are also holes in between the pillars, but it's not easy. If you jumped on one while blocking, you might be able to get a throw off (unsure of this). I've had Wesker players jump between the pillars and hit me.

The biggest thing I have to say is that you should go for Bionic Lancer more often, and practice converting off of it until you can do it in your sleep. That's throwing away a character kill right there. If you have the ability, it'd be good to learn She-Hulk's longer combos, too. I feel like your Felicia/Thor team kind of lacks synergy and doesn't function well. Your Felicia would benefit from using her dp moves more, too. They're vicious in XF3. My normal sparring partner in Vanilla was a Felicia main, and he very rarely didn't kill 2 characters because there's so much chaos it makes XF3 Wesker look calm.

I can't take credit for that one. I played a good bit against Evulsoider in Vanilla, and he mains Haggar/Hsien-ko/Arthur...and he makes it look so damn good.

1.I forgot about she-hulks lamp post move, I'll have to try that next time.

2. You're right, I should practice conversions off bionic lancer and get them down consistently. It would be better than doing bionic lancer-> super scatter shot.(although I do like that)

3. I'll also have to go into training mode and learn some of her longer combos. Right now I just do magic series and extensions with j.d.H(otg booty stomp)+ assists.

4. Now that you point it out, Felicia/Thor really doesn't have much synergy, especially in the order I've been playing it. I think I'll mess around with Thor/x/Felicia. Maybe Thor/Sentinel/Felicia. x/Thor/Felicia is definitely bad.

5. I've seen evulsoider on stream before, I find him really fun to watch because he uses such an unusual team.

Haha GB, I look forward to facing this team eventually.

1.I forgot about she-hulka lamp post move, I'll have to try that next time.
Everyone forgets about it...probably because it's a crappy move in most cases, haha.

2. You're right, I should practice conversions off bionic lancer and get them down consistently. It would be better than doing bionic lancer-> super scatter shot.(although I do like that)
Indeed! Then I'll be extra salty when I get caught.

3. I'll also have to go into training mode and learn some of her longer combos. Right now I just do magic series and extensions with j.d.H(otg booty stomp)+ assists.
Yeah, I think doing her longer stuff uses up her wall bounce. I tend to think that it's essential to master She-Hulk's AA hyper to play her well, since Emerald Cannon kind of sucks.

4. Now that you point it out, Felicia/Thor really doesn't have much synergy, especially in the order I've been playing it. I think I'll mess around with Thor/x/Felicia. Maybe Thor/Sentinel/Felicia. x/Thor/Felicia is definitely bad.
Anchor Felicia is fine, but your second character needs to be one that can survive purely on her low hitting assist for unblockables. A team like Thor/Taskmaster/Felicia will function pretty well.

5. I've seen evulsoider on stream before, I find him really fun to watch because he uses such an unusual team.
He plays on PSN. He and Al_Rikir are on my friends list - it's funny that I have two Arthur mains on there (actually three, but the third doesn't like to play online).

Is there enough durability on the flame pillar to cancel all the arrows?
Yup. It has 5x3 durability, so the only thing it won't destroy is stuff that has more than 5 durability in one big blow (Chris's Magnum) and Dark Hole/Purification...which nothing stops except for Amaterasu.

JeTmAn81

It was just a joke, but it made me wonder. Can you X-Factor during an Alpha Counter? I wonder if I could X-Factor during Hulks super invincible Anti Air and maybe land a hit. Hmmm interesting.

It seems like it would be really tough off Gamma Charge AA, that thing pops them up so high. Regular Gamma Charge might work, though, since that is something that is commonly X-Factored into a combo when on point. Not sure about Gamma Wave.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It seems like it would be really tough off Gamma Charge AA, that thing pops them up so high. Regular Gamma Charge might work, though, since that is something that is commonly X-Factored into a combo when on point. Not sure about Gamma Wave.

Considering you can cancel the initial jump-in of a crossover directly into an air Hyper, I imagine you can also X-Factor cancel at any time. But it's expensive with the requirement of X-Factor, meter, and a second character for a non-guaranteed opening...

I imagine that crossup Crossover Counters would really mess with people at first, like Crossover Counter into Rapid Slash. How many characters can go into full combo off of a viable (AKA without 500 frames of startup) Crossover Counter without X-Factor? Morrigan and Vergil are the only ones that immediately come to mind.

Azure J

Messing around with Zero again just because I want to say I can play/have played him, and I realize that I was doing it wrong before. I need to get around to learning how to piano his buttons. There are too many mix up layers there and I want to see how far the rabbit hole goes when I take time off from the main crew.

You can't do the follow up to the Anti Air Alpha counter. I know it launches the opponent so high so I was wondering if I X-Factor'd on first contact that maybe I could throw out a J.S. or something. It seems unlikely though. Alpha Counters seem really unexplored in this game.

Messing around with Zero again just because I want to say I can play/have played him, and I realize that I was doing it wrong before. I need to get around to learning how to piano his buttons. There are too many mix up layers there and I want to see how far the rabbit hole goes when I take time off from the main crew.

And this is why I've never been a fan of Flocker / Flux. They are probably the most successful players with Zero on their team, but I wouldn't call them Zero players like Mihe (before he quit) or even Richard before he went to Devil May Stride, or even Marn.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just out of curiousity, if you Crossover Counter, does the move retain the properties of the assist or the properties of the move as a point character? Like, Haggar for example.

Bizazedo

And this is why I've never been a fan of Flocker / Flux. They are probably the most successful players with Zero on their team, but I wouldn't call them Zero players like Mihe (before he quit) or even Richard before he went to Devil May Stride, or even Marn.

He is a nice person, I'll give him that. Seeing him rage when my buddy bodied with him with She-Hulk was also entertaining.

He never took enough risks imo.

I haven't had time to practice anything since last time, but its on!

EDIT: Good Games Karst. I'll post a more detailed response later.
GGs. My Vergil was so embarrassing. -_- I did well with Wesker after I changed my approach to the matchup. I like your new Felicia team, but I think you need to utilize her infinite more.

Top Bottom