• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Azure J

I'm down any evening this weekend myself. I just hope I don't say this now and then every unforseen circumstance ever interrupts us when we do play.

Awful team. Thor needs a strong horizontal assist that lets him tridash in and achieve pressure. He can't do anything off of a hard knockdown.

Yeah, my current team is Nova(Centurian Rush)/Doom (Beam) /Strider (Vajra) but wanted to insert someone new. Thought Thor's beam would work as well as Doom's.

Reposting to make sure Sasa doesn't miss it:
Hey Sasa,

Tell me about running X-23 on anchor. I liked the Tatsu assist, but I'm still open to exploring other options, and Dark Harmonizer + Silent Kill sounds pretty tasty. How often do you get opened up? What's your "escape route" plan?

I'm still hoping to hear back from Solune about what he thought about the team, especially the value of the Tatsu assist. I was a bit frustrated in the matches against Chris/Dante/Strider because I didn't have an anti-Chris assist, and Chris is already a difficult matchup for Dormammu.

But then I think: "Does an assist even exist that helps against Chris?"

Also, I was messing around with X-23 in training mode and discovered that she can do this:
c.LMHS, j.M, d.H, s.MHS, whatever

Not sure if it's old news.

Yeah, my current team is Nova(Centurian Rush)/Doom (Beam) /Strider (Vajra) but wanted to insert someone new. Thought Thor's beam would work as well as Doom's.
Thor's beam is extremely "meh".

mr. puppy

Banned
To compensate for that low durability, it's not a true blockstring so in a way it's better for mixups.

Yea I'm in training mode screwing with it now. I don't really like it, its not terribly threatening and barely takes up any space. Pendulum covers a lot of area that people like to play at (above other characters, etc.)

Yea I'm in training mode screwing with it now. I don't really like it, its not terribly threatening and barely takes up any space. Pendulum covers a lot of area that people like to play at (above other characters, etc.)

Well, I haven't really played with it either. Still, the mental image I just got of something with Strider like Formation B (shot)->Spitfire assist->Wall Cling->keep switching sides was pretty amusing.

I just noticed something that should have been obvious to me, but wasn't, and others might benefit from it.

So, Morrigan could always do Soul Drain -> Shadow Servant to end a combo.

Morrigan doesn't like to end combos with hypers in Astral Vision, though, because it's effectively spending 2 bars of meter on one hyper worth of damage.

However, if Astral Vision is up, you can end a combo with Soul Drain -> Shadow Servant, and while only one Shadow Servant comes out (of course), two Soul Drains do, and both can connect from anywhere! This effectively steals 60% of a bar of meter from your opponent. With the combo you just did, you effectively earned back a bar of meter for Astral Vision again!

Again, really obvious, but it just clicked with me.

To me, the hardest character to learn would be anyone with super-mobile airdashes and flight.

i agree.

i think i might finally try nova/spencer with maybe akuma anchor as an alt team. though i dont think this is drastically different in terms of play style from my current team. i always thought alt teams were supposed to be like, a complete contrast from your original team.

Hey Sasa,

Tell me about running X-23 on anchor. I liked the Tatsu assist, but I'm still open to exploring other options, and Dark Harmonizer + Silent Kill sounds pretty tasty. How often do you get opened up? What's your "escape route" plan?

I'm still hoping to hear back from Solune about what he thought about the team, especially the value of the Tatsu assist. I was a bit frustrated in the matches against Chris/Dante/Strider because I didn't have an anti-Chris assist, and Chris is already a difficult matchup for Dormammu.

But then I think: "Does an assist even exist that helps against Chris?"

X-23 on anchor is decent. Far from super solid, but very volatile and can turn around a match if you're crafty and/or opponent is sleeping. Major weakness is that she only converts off front air throw by herself, and not well from super jump range. Her command throw would make up for it if it was able to be used more than once every few matches to keep people honest -- it's too visible.

She's an absolute demon in XFactor though. Lots of easy infinites, kills fast, and Dirt Nap makes life easy. Always one good guard cancel from getting two characters for basically free.

If the opponent can't fly, I like her chances 1-on-1 without XF; it's not always even but you can make something happen. Have to pick your spots, like an assassin would. Assists make this trickier, of course. Far from easy.

To me, she's another take on Felicia anchor -- less balance without XF, somewhat cheaper with it due to Dirt Nap. I'd put her around there, somewhat below due to her lacking throw game and difficult time (esp. for Marvel) converting from SJ range :/ Still, I'm a bet-it-all kinda guy, or else I'd be running Felicia or Deadpool anchor: both probably provide better balance overall with XF, toolset, and non-XF all considered, but if I'm in a dire situation where I need XF3, I want someone who can turn it around pretty much instantaneously if I make the right decisions. Something I've not been doing well with X-23 anchor recently.

Assist that helps against Chris: something to keep him busy. High durability projectile. Even if he starts shooting the assist, he's not getting you. Also, anything that comes from the top. He really doesn't do much against things that are above him.

How do you do Nova's Jump H loop?

Also, I think I want to use Spider-Man. I'm so ashamed.

Good man.

This might be my favourite thread this year. The Other M gif was pretty much perfection for a Metroid head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZLKKCgiT-M&feature=autoplay&list=UUaIK1SmDmjCDE-0635yD0KQ&playnext=1

This is kinda not Marvel related but I stumbled across this topic and thought it was pretty funny. I just wanna say thanks for the laugh God's Beard!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316249
LOL. Poor God's Beard. Someone comes across this every few months and he has to go through the anguish once more.

X-23 on anchor is decent. Far from super solid, but very volatile and can turn around a match if you're crafty and/or opponent is sleeping. Major weakness is that she only converts off front air throw by herself, and not well from super jump range. Her command throw would make up for it if it was able to be used more than once every few matches to keep people honest -- it's too visible.

She's an absolute demon in XFactor though. Lots of easy infinites, kills fast, and Dirt Nap makes life easy. Always one good guard cancel from getting two characters for basically free.

If the opponent can't fly, I like her chances 1-on-1 without XF; it's not always even but you can make something happen. Have to pick your spots, like an assassin would. Assists make this trickier, of course. Far from easy.

To me, she's another take on Felicia anchor -- less balance without XF, somewhat cheaper with it due to Dirt Nap. I'd put her around there, somewhat below due to her lacking throw game and difficult time (esp. for Marvel) converting from SJ range :/ Still, I'm a bet-it-all kinda guy, or else I'd be running Felicia or Deadpool anchor: both probably provide better balance overall with XF, toolset, and non-XF all considered, but if I'm in a dire situation where I need XF3, I want someone who can turn it around pretty much instantaneously if I make the right decisions. Something I've not been doing well with X-23 anchor recently.

Assist that helps against Chris: something to keep him busy. High durability projectile. Even if he starts shooting the assist, he's not getting you. Also, anything that comes from the top. He really doesn't do much against things that are above him.
Thanks for the X-23 advice. What do you do when she comes in to escape mix-ups?

And re: Chris, I am looking for an assist that can deal with Magnum somehow. It even pierces through Eye of Agamotto. -_-

Edit:
Combo to steal 1.5 bars of meter with Morrigan in Astral Vision:
j.S, s.LM, f.M + Dark Hole, qcf.S, s.S, sj.MMHS, qcf.S, dp.AA 528K damage.

Without Astral Vision, 426,500 damage.

:-O

LakeEarth

How do you do Nova's Jump H loop?
I figured it out last night. My recent advice:
I still can only do them in the corner. I'm not sure how people do it midscreen, although I've done it randomly a couple of times.

Trick is qcb+S immediately after j.H, and wait a half a second before the next H. That way you don't accidentally get H rocket punch.

Also, relaunch with standing H into S. If your opponent is too low, you'll hit c.H but whiff the S.

Onemic

Posting again for this page: Is Magneto's Fly/unfly loop better than his airdash loop? I know it does slightly more damage, but can't you not convert it into as many hyper grav loops? So far the only explanation I've been given is that his fly/unfly loop is more "swag". Are swag combos a thing in this game?

cr.LMHS, sj, j.H, adf, j.HxxFly, j.L, j.H, [adf j.H]x4 [unfly, pause, j.H, st.H] or [ addf j.H, S, st.H]xxHyper grav L ------ 410,000-440,000 Damage

Air dash loop does 20k less on average

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah I could do the combo offline fine it's just when you introduce lag when I fuck it up.

Maybe I'll mess around with the network simulation thing.

LakeEarth

Oh yeah, if it's laggy I would go for something simple. But the guy I was playing last night was alright, so I went for it.

Up next, figure out how after a crumple, to do energy javalin -> tag in Spencer -> launch into full combo. The launcher always whiffs.

HOLY WOW.

If Eye of Agamotto didn't fail to interact with bullets for some reason, I would totally run this assist with Dormammu forever. It's SO GOOD.

Perfect combo extension from anywhere, including this beauty:
j.S, c.LHS, sj.MMHS, call Eye of Agamotto, Dark Spell L, Flame Carpet, Dark Matter, Dark Spell L, s.S, 1D1C, Purification, Chaotic Flame

If you can get Eye of Agamotto on the screen, it lasts long enough to let Dormammu charge 1D2C AND release it, and it completely covers 1D2C's dead zone. Dr. Strange also recovers as an assist just as 1D2C resolves, so you can chain 1D2C while covered by Eye of Agamotto forever. :-O

Eye of Agamotto lets Morrigan steal TWO whole bars of meter and do some pretty solid damage, and of course it's amazing for her zoning.

I would totally risk Dormammu not having a "Get off me" assist for Eye of Agamotto if it interacted with bullets. -_- WHY CAPCOM WHY?!

It seems like no assist helps with Chris' Magnum. :-(

Also, Eye of Agamotto > Vergil. His attacks can't reach Dormammu and hit the Eye of Agamotto.

It also rocks Vajra. :-O

WHY CANT YOU INTERACT WITH BULLETS DAMN IT.

...and now he's deleted the OP text! "Suck my dick, Italian foooooood!"
:-O That's a classic GAF thread! God's Beard, embrace your past!

this is a travesty! i'm gonna pm a mod and ask them to permanently edit the op with an updated pic as well.
YES!

Azure J

I finally have some footage on how to loop Twister/Tempest in XF3 for great justice. Problem is, I have no way of making the clip informative in any way. All I know is that it's just very spacing dependent. For best results, one must be halfway up Twister and rapidly cancel it into Tempest and keep the rhythm and spacing.

Now I just need a brave soul to "help" me make proper setups for it. In a video against a non-mobile punching bag, anything looks viable.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Wow. It's been that long already? I remember GB as the Degen of Manga GAF before Marvel GAF.

Oh, to put things into perspective.

For $28 here at our famous pizza joint, you can get a large pizza with one topping, one cheesesteak, 12 Wings of your choice, cheese fries and a 2 liter bottle of soda. And for what he got, to get the same exact thing would cost less than $10. And it looks better than that. There is stupid and there is....stupid.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Well he got banned.

Assuming it was for getting into an "editing war" with EviLore.

I feel tangentially responsible so, sorry Beardo!

edit- eh maybe it was from the other thread he posted in idk

For $28 here at our famous pizza joint, you can get a large pizza with one topping, one cheesesteak, 12 Wings of your choice, cheese fries and a 2 liter bottle of soda. And for what he got, to get the same exact thing would cost less than $10. And it looks better than that. There is stupid and there is....stupid.

I desperately need to go to New York.

smurfx

get some go again
"Take no responsibility," despite having a hand in pushing things forward. Judas. >:|

IT WAS YOU

what do you mean by "edit the original pic."?
im4SvPgjtiSy1.gif

the original pic was hosted a banned site so it didn't show up. i asked evilore to replace it with another link from a non banned site.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
There's probably like 4 people who helped push towards that ban. And they all post here!

But none pushed harder than smurfx.

Beef ask him about the thread next time you visit or something.

Azure J

GB got banned again? I swear, every other time I look it's either him or Enzo gone. We need to add that to the Marvel cycle pic.

Bizazedo

GG's Azure. Quick thoughts.

I think you think too much. It's like you were using every strat "agreed" on. MUST kill Zero immediately, snapping in Wesker too much, etc.

ESpecially the X-factoring after starting a combo with Zero. Every time you did, it was like, "Okay, you blew X-factor on 830k Zero, Nova is going to murder him."

Play.....dumber :).

I know, it sounds weird.

Azure J

GG's Azure. Quick thoughts.

I think you think too much. It's like you were using every strat "agreed" on. MUST kill Zero immediately, snapping in Wesker too much, etc.

ESpecially the X-factoring after starting a combo with Zero. Every time you did, it was like, "Okay, you blew X-factor on 830k Zero, Nova is going to murder him."

Play.....dumber :).

I know, it sounds weird.

You have no idea how much of a laugh I got from this post. Thanks for that. :lol

I was just upset at how many drops I had in those matches. The most impressive thing I've seen in my entire Marvel career is blowing up the start of the match gambit with Focus Attack xx EX Thunder Knuckle/Thunder Knuckle M only to XFC into so many mid air combo drops. This isn't something new for me playing Viper, so what happened? :lol

I don't know if Wesker or Nova was the problem from the 12 matches we played thus far. It's like everything I know is a lie. Also, shoutouts for losing every attempt at twitch low-high blocks when Nova was on point. I keep forgetting you have to invert that mentality with Captain Overhead coming after you. xD

Solune

Team Armor so ridiculous.
I felt the latency was a bit high myself. You and Sayah...maybe it's a Canadian thing. Are you on Rogers by chance? :p I started playing with you right after finishing a 50 match set with someone who it felt like I was playing offline with things were so good (Tron/Hulk/Sentinel player - really good too).
Canadian internet is 8.95 etc etc.
Akuma definitely feels better to play as than Vergil. Guh though, I drop his relaunch a lot when I go for the juggle. Too much delay between MMH, I think.
I was too high most of the time, so that's usually because of an early timed j.H
It's not a phobia because my fear is clearly rational. :p I played many, many matches with Dormammu on point in Vanilla and took it up the ass. It's a thoughtful learned behavior, I say! Why mention Zero specifically, though?
Well since he's probably one of the scariest point characters I thought it apt to make that comparison.
And hey, we all lose games we feel we should have won. ;-) Especially with a Morrigan anchor online. "I canceled that Soul Fist!" "Why didn't Shadow Servant come out!" "Ugh, where was my j.S?!" She made some hilarious comebacks, though.
Too many comebacks, part of those games I should have won!
What did you think of the tatsu assist for Dormammu? Do you think it was good enough for him to keep solely because of the assist? I had some trouble converting off of it because it pops my opponent in an ambiguous zone.
Hmm it's hard for me to say it's worth to keep him for the assist only, I only recommend keeping a character if they complete your team... But Akuma fits your play style and his assist was really valueable. Sometimes I'd start the match away from you and call Rising Fang and it would still beat Tatsu, so you just have to adjust some beginnings. Also you killed me quite a few times with Messatsu Gohadou x 2.
Oddly enough Iron Fist is your character that I fear the most.

That is strange, what about him is it that scares you?

--

When fighting Chris, don't be afraid to teleport. Tri-dashers and teleporters are his worst nightmare. As long as his mine isn't out it's really free to tri-dashing. He also has terrible blockstrings, you made good reads in punishing them. My advice would be , don't play the ranged game and switch to an offensive style. The matchup is even as long as you're willing to engage.

TWILT

Banned
Played in a online swiss tourney tonight and went 3-2. If there's one character I hate fighting in this game, it's Hulk with Hidden Missiles and/or drones assist. *sigh*

Guess I did okay overall though. Tourney kinda reminded me why I stopped playing Marvel online with randoms at least...

Sayah

Hidden missile assist is irritating me. First I have to play ranked matches where people are mindlessly button-mashing it like crazy and then literally every combo video I'm trying to watch ends up having the assist at some point. So damn annoying. Why didn't Capcom nerf this when it's in clear need of nerfing? Assists shouldn't be able to cancel hypers at the very least. One moment, I'm like "happy b-day :D" and the next moment, it's like "oh.......:/"

shaowebb

I can't laugh at Beard for posting that. Dude had been starving and business sense leaves you in those moments. Yes I just defended Beard and didn't laugh at him over something everyone else did laugh about. It happened.

DR2K

Banned
Hidden missile assist is irritating me. First I have to play ranked matches where people are mindlessly button-mashing it like crazy and then literally every combo video I'm trying to watch ends up having the assist at some point. So damn annoying. Why didn't Capcom nerf this when it's in clear need of nerfing? Assists shouldn't be able to cancel hypers at the very least. One moment, I'm like "happy b-day :D" and the next moment, it's like "oh.......:/"

It's a broken assist tagged on with one of the derpiest characters in the game, of course it's going to be in just about every other team.

Is there even an anti missle team in this game?

It's a broken assist tagged on with one of the derpiest characters in the game, of course it's going to be in just about every other team.

Magneto/Amateratsu

No meter? Snipe with beam.
1? Shockwave. Clears out missiles too.
2? THC, run in and combo doom for massive damage.

Azure J

Hey guys, have one more video because I'm so very easily amused when I have programs to play with stuff like this. Eventually, I'll get all fancy with the presentation.

That being said, this video is literally a hodge podge of a few things. Applications to show how getting that max damage is a Grapple - meaty j.M/H away from any Dante conversion, high meter gain combos with Dante, some XF3 silliness, and a few resets are the major focuses. When I get a camera that isn't 400 years outdated, I'll try to record some training attempts as per my big ol' list of character training regimens and maybe at that same time, I'll have the overlays and cue cards ready.

Currently deciding between Trish/RR/Dante on point. With X-23 and strange in either 2nd/3rd.

Bolts give great overheads, which these 3 have in spades.
RR can raw tag to strange after early oil bomb to build real good meter. Sets up his own unblockables too although it won't work with bolts. Log is a great assist if he's not on point. Mad Hopper is awesome if you can spare the meter.
Dante is Dante.
Trish gives Peekaboo and RH resets/unblockables into a bunch of meter with Strange. RH also DHCs nicely into Silent Kill.

Advice?

Currently deciding between Trish/RR/Dante on point. with X-23 and strange in either 2nd/3rd.

RR can raw tag to strange after early oil bomb to build real good meter. Sets up his own unblockables too although it won't work with bolts. Log is a great assist if he's not on point. Mad Hopper is awesome if you can spare the meter.
Dante is Dante.
Trish gives Peekaboo and RH resets/unblockables into a bunch of meter with Strange. RH also DHCs nicely into Silent Kill. 8 way tridash and flight.

Advice?

Fact: Rocket Raccoon or Taskmaster have the most underrated themes in this game.

Also, me and some friends found some pretty sick DHC synergy:

Jill (Raven Spike): Say Goodbye!
Dormammu: Goodbye.
Wesker: GOODBYE.

These are my types of reasons to play this game :lol

Hidden Missiles can be dealt with and has real weaknesses. To use an oddly appropriate analogy, Hidden Missiles is like Sentinel. It has a lot of unique properties that make it difficult to deal with, and you have to learn to play the game differently when Hidden Missiles are being used.

I strongly suggest that you play Player Matches instead of Ranked Matches in this game. You will find much nicer opponents and a greater diversity of teams. The people on Ranked all copy whatever works the best in lag or whatever the top players are using.

Played in a online swiss tourney tonight and went 3-2. If there's one character I hate fighting in this game, it's Hulk with Hidden Missiles and/or drones assist. *sigh*

Guess I did okay overall though. Tourney kinda reminded me why I stopped playing Marvel online with randoms at least...
I am 100% free to Hulk/Drones. :-(

Team Armor so ridiculous.
I know! Nerf Hulk!

Canadian internet is 8.95 etc etc.
Is that a "yes" to Rogers internet? I played a 50 match set with someone, and I had no sync or disconnection issues. And I realized that I've been having the sync error a ton, and it's all with Canadian players.

I was too high most of the time, so that's usually because of an early timed j.H
You mean the j.H after rdp.L~L?

Well since he's probably one of the scariest point characters I thought it apt to make that comparison.
I'd like to make him a scary point character...it's just some matchups...I kept trying to pick Ghost Rider vs. your Chris team since you wanted to try it, but you went to the Akuma team.

Too many comebacks, part of those games I should have won!
Whenever I make a comeback with Morrigan, I think "holy crap my opponent must be so salty, she's not even a good anchor".

Hmm it's hard for me to say it's worth to keep him for the assist only, I only recommend keeping a character if they complete your team... But Akuma fits your play style and his assist was really valueable. Sometimes I'd start the match away from you and call Rising Fang and it would still beat Tatsu, so you just have to adjust some beginnings. Also you killed me quite a few times with Messatsu Gohadou x 2.
Akuma sort of fits my playstyle. I like characters with high execution limits (but not high execution barriers, if you follow me), and Akuma is really low execution. I can see myself getting bored of him eventually, which is worrysome. He definitely beamed the hell out of a lot of characters, though, and it felt like he was contributing.

That is strange, what about him is it that scares you?
I'm a spacing-minded player. I play the game based on who can control space at any given time. I tend to have trouble with the heavies in this game because their normals outrange mine, and so I feel threatened. I don't play the game on frame data and character vulnerability like a rushdown character does. I value frame data a lot, but I tend to need to play characters that can establish space first and then get an offensive, or characters who can attack while covering themselves.

Iron Fist, with his dash and s.M (I think), basically covers a ground area much larger than it seems, so it's hard to know what area he is threatening. Sometimes you do the double rekka into Rising Fang, too, and that's hard to keep track of. Then he has Fists of Fury, which is invincible and blows through things up close. I fear for when you'll discover how good his anti-air hyper is just by itself as a punishment against tridashers.

When fighting Chris, don't be afraid to teleport. Tri-dashers and teleporters are his worst nightmare. As long as his mine isn't out it's really free to tri-dashing. He also has terrible blockstrings, you made good reads in punishing them. My advice would be , don't play the ranged game and switch to an offensive style. The matchup is even as long as you're willing to engage.
I'm not afraid to teleport unless you back Chris into a corner, which is actually a good thing against Dormammu, because it means you can easily punish Mass Change M. It's hard to find that moment to teleport when Vajra is around, though. Against Chris alone, I can usually handle him via teleports, but Vajra makes it rough.

Our matches convinced me that I need to learn to approach with Dormammu through df/uf air dash sequences. I've put off mastering this technique for too long.

I can't laugh at Beard for posting that. Dude had been starving and business sense leaves you in those moments. Yes I just defended Beard and didn't laugh at him over something everyone else did laugh about. It happened.
I don't laugh at GB for posting what he did. The legacy of the thread as something that, once every few months, someone posts and says "look what I found GB!", is what gets me.

Any team with a beam assist > any team with Hidden Missiles.

Currently deciding between Trish/RR/Dante on point. With X-23 and strange in either 2nd/3rd.

Dante is Dante.
Trish gives Peekaboo and RH resets/unblockables into a bunch of meter with Strange. RH also DHCs nicely into Silent Kill.

Advice?
My inclination is to say "Dante", but you might find that one of those others works. He can use X-23's low attack for unblockable setups, which the others can't. Not the most thorough reasoning, but it's a hunch.

Fact: Rocket Raccoon or Taskmaster have the most underrated themes in this game.

Also, me and some friends found some pretty sick DHC synergy:

Jill (Raven Spike): Say Goodbye!
Dormammu: Goodbye.
Wesker: GOODBYE.

These are my types of reasons to play this game :lol
Nice! Too bad that team is awful, though...maybe it could work with Wesker on point.

Top Bottom