• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
But everything about him is so annoying. :-O

Why do pro players drop s.LMH, f.H, BC, dp.M, j.H, qcf.M, j.H, s.H, s.S so often? If I can do it several times in a row in training mode, I feel like anyone should be able to do it.

I don't know why is my Hawkeye the best in the world?

Azure J

I wish more people would use Dante. He's still so under-developed, it's just combos everywhere but nobody's doing fancy movement stuff.

Thiiiiis. I don't get why my matches with Frantic are so fucking hype when I land a combo like 4/10ths of the time I should. Everything else is just playing rapid fire tag. Shit, Sigmaah can vouch with all the fancy movement and intentional use of air specials to stall out being tagged with stuff at times.

I'm still convinced that movement is the next big gold rush in this game. Ability to get around derp > ability to apply derp.

Thiiiiis. I don't get why my matches with Frantic are so fucking hype when I land a combo like 4/10ths of the time I should. Everything else is just playing rapid fire tag. Shit, Sigmaah can vouch with all the fancy movement and intentional use of air specials to stall out being tagged with stuff at times.

I'm still convinced that movement is the next big gold rush in this game. Ability to get around derp > ability to apply derp.
The next big gold rush? I think we're long since past it, but bad players never realized it. The top 5 players all have amazing movement.

Dahbomb

What do you mean by "next gold rush"? Mobility is already one of the most important aspects of a character. If your mobility isn't insane you better hope your screen control and normals are amazing (Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Vergil) otherwise characters will walk all over you or keep you out all day.

Azure J

I meant in the sense that people will start optimizing their movement, learning how to dodge, and the like. Ugh, I'm not doing s good a job at posting my thoughts in this thread lately. :lol

mr. puppy

Banned
What do you think of Yipes' usage of Dante? Just curious.

the two best dante players are yipes and Rog (in Vanilla mainly).

Yipes spaces with Dante better than Rog, but Rog has a far better pressure game. Yipes likes to stay back and set up situations for his cross-ups or whatever to get in, and thus makes the character really position dependent. dantes got some good movement, so thats why it works. Rog just goes HAM and wins b/c hes really good at fighting games.

Azure J

For Dante they are usually one and the same.

Fucking main gaming thread has 20 Wii U topics on just the first page. I hate start of console generation period.

I'm pretty excited for the system myself, but every thread on it thus far feels like retreads and echo chambers from a few members of everything since like E3 2011, not worth the headache to navigate through. :lol

When he's "on," it seems like his Dante is the most impressive I've seen. Bear in mind when I say "impressive" I'm not talking about training mode bullshit, I'm talking about wanting to end the opponent's life.

Cool, I feel like Yipes has the right idea with using him and I try pretty hard to pick up on actually pressuring people based on that style of his when I try to learn stuff. At the same time, Dante's so flexible, it's nearly impossible to see anything that isn't flat out Cold Showers 10 times in a combo, extensions that take 20+ seconds to do but only get like 3K more damage, or j.S xx Hammer "mixups" ^ nth levels of dumb shit and call it one or the other right away.

Combo wise, one of the things that actually came to light watching the videos I made recently, I actually do stick with easy stuff meant to capitalize on that clean hit or make the clean hit available. I thought my usual routes were too dry/not fancy enough for a video, but after re-evaluating it, they're the easiest way to either tack on damage, get meter, or force more situations to capitalize on with Dante.

the two best dante players are yipes and Rog (in Vanilla mainly).

Yipes spaces with Dante better than Rog, but Rog has a far better pressure game. Yipes likes to stay back and set up situations for his cross-ups or whatever to get in, and thus makes the character really position dependent. dantes got some good movement, so thats why it works. Rog just goes HAM and wins b/c hes really good at fighting games.

Agreed. This also reminds me that I really miss Rog's Dante to be honest. Everything about it looked like it shouldn't work, but he was relentless enough to make it happen. :lol

Why are people buying the Wii U? Doesn't it only have one game? I know people like zombies but damn.

Also, Beef. If you're posting here then you have time to play Marvel >:-(

Azure J

Why are people buying the Wii U? Doesn't it only have one game? I know people like zombies but damn.

Zombies? Over Mario? Jebailey please.

No offense to ZombiU, but I don't see the appeal at all. At the very least, with the system already out, all that's left is to wait for more games.

I have a research paper and reading questions due tomorrow along with a quiz, as well as ANOTHER paper and an exam due Wednesday. I have no time to teach you how to play Marvel until probably Friday, when I'll actually have money to buy a BART ticket.

Azure J

Conversely, I think Richard Nguyen is the worst Dante player I have ever seen.

Nguyen was good enough to pioneer the technology for others to utilize or optimize. In that sense, he's to Dante what Marn is/was to Zero. Haven't seen him play recently because Offcast is on at a unholy hour of the night for an East Coaster with college to attend to, but from what I remember (even while admiring him), he used to either over-exert himself with the character doing things he couldn't hit more than 3/5ths of the time or he would rely too much on a derpy assist to do the work for him and get happy birthday'd a ton.

Rumoured to start about a year from now, we'll get our first look at E3.

Also, you're fucking vicious. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also, you're fucking vicious. :lol
I can count the things I like about the Wii U on one hand, it absolutely looks like the worst console proposition I have seen, infinite-doom'd to a worse fate than the Wii. Though when the new FGW thread goes up, I do plan on making a post about one of the good things about the Wii U (no fee patching and free DLC) and how it relates to fighting games.

Onemic

I guess it's for the potential. At least speaking strictly for the launch, it seems pretty bad.

Frantic

Agreed. This also reminds me that I really miss Rog's Dante to be honest. Everything about it looked like it shouldn't work, but he was relentless enough to make it happen. :lol
I'm sort of adapting the vanilla PR Rog offense with Dante, while still having the zoning to deal with certain matchups. I'm not quite as relentless, nor as ballsy(PR Rog has no fear), but I have had moments where everything clicks together and I just maul someone and never let them out. I just, for some reason or another, can't play like that all the time. :(

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I can count the things I like about the Wii U on one hand, it absolutely looks like the worst console proposition I have seen, infinite-doom'd to a worse fate than the Wii. Though when the new FGW thread goes up, I do plan on making a post about one of the good things about the Wii U (no fee patching and free DLC) and how it relates to fighting games.

I don't think it's free DLC, I think it's "they don't have to pay to put DLC up"

Or not idk

Dahbomb

Rumoured to start about a year from now, we'll get our first look at E3.
Ice cold.

I approve.

That Zombie U game is getting mediocre reviews. Game is riding on the Walking Dead + new console hype.

To be honest the 3rd party support for Wii U is looking better than Wii but I don't know how long that will last until the real next gen consoles launch.

QQ time:
This is some serious bull****. I can keep Devil Trigger up forever via Dark Harmonizer. I can get most of my bar back during Spiral Swords. But Veil of Mist? Dark Harmonizer has no effect! This seriously pisses me off. There are so many interesting setups here that are just dead. When the **** else is an assist made completely ineffective on a team because of an install effect?

I'm buying it so I have it for when the games I want are released. Might as well. Also, I love Mario.

Wii U has some sweet games coming up for it:
Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate
Bayonetta 2
The Wonderful 101

That's like...as many PS3 games as I own in total. It's cool though, you guys can play washed-up Capcom games like RE6 while I enjoy Hideki Kamiya's latest and greatest exclusively on my Wii U. :) If this generation taught me anything, it's that I only need to own a PS4/Wii U next generation to get everything there is to have.

What if UMVC3 was on Wii U and had extra shit in it?
Then Capcom will also probably have the good sense to give us an update on the PS3/360. No way would they pool money into the Wii U for that. I wouldn't get it just because I'd have to get another $100+ fight stick - blech! Plus the Wii U doesn't even have a slot for an ethernet cord, so the online would be even worse than the PS3.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
On mobility- this game is a million times more fun when you can just slide across the stage at will.

Compared to most other 2d fighting games it's closest to "go wherever the hell you want whenever"-like Smash movement

I've spent time in training mode just moving around. Wavedashing everywhere is too fun.

Dahbomb

Wii U doesn't have an ethernet port?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Bayo 2 and Wonderful 101 are the two most interesting games coming on the Wii U for me. But that's how many games interested me on Wii as well (maybe a few more on Wii) and I still didn't get it. Played TvC and SMG at a friends house... That basically encompassed my Wii experience for the last gen. I must have played and beaten over a 100 games on 360 + PS3 + PC before selling my consoles to upgrade my PC.

Wii U doesn't have an ethernet port?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Uh, neither did the Wii, you know. You can buy a USB to Ethernet converter, though.

Just wait until we all find out that Kinect and the PSMove will come as standard equipment with the PS4/XBox 720, the PS4 is not backwards compatible, neither system allows used games to be played on the system, and Sony has moved to a digital-only, cloud format for its gaming, and Microsoft still charges for online while filling your screen with advertisements. We'll see who has the last laugh sir!

Dahbomb

Uh, neither did the Wii, you know. You can buy a USB to Ethernet converter, though.

Just wait until we all find out that Kinect and the PSMove will come as standard equipment with the PS4/XBox 720, the PS4 is not backwards compatible, neither system allows used games to be played on the system, and Sony has moved to a digital-only, cloud format for its gaming, and Microsoft still charges for online while filling your screen with advertisements. We'll see who has the last laugh sir!
All of those are stuff I pretty much expect anyway. PC is going to win again next gen.

Gods Beard... Plz.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bayonetta 2
The Wonderful 101

That's like...as many PS3 games as I own in total. It's cool though, you guys can play washed-up Capcom games like RE6 while I enjoy Hideki Kamiya's latest and greatest exclusively on my Wii U. :) If this generation taught me anything, it's that I only need to own a PS4/Wii U next generation to get everything there is to have.
How dare you suggest I'd even consider touching a Resident Evil product?

I don't see the promise. They've pigeon holed themselves just like the Wii again, and it'll take them 2-4 more years to begin developing games on the caliber of those I've been playing on my Xbox for years now. Maybe for your tastes in games it's sufficient, but a future where Nintendo still neglects 3rd parties at large for the long haul with an almost nonexistent sense of future proofing is one I don't want to be a part of. Especially since I only buy one console per gen.

Now to wait it out and see which of Sony and MS is less crazy next gen. Though if MS makes another PGR, I will not think twice and go 720.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Having a tablet/controller is the only thing interesting about that system, everything else about it seems like Nintendo playing catch up.

Will look forward to Microsoft/Sony stealing that tablet idea.

How dare you suggest I'd even consider touching a Resident Evil product?

I don't see the promise. They've pigeon holed themselves just like the Wii again, and it'll take them 2-4 more years to begin developing games on the caliber of those I've been playing on my Xbox for years now. Maybe for your tastes in games it's sufficient, but a future where Nintendo still neglects 3rd parties at large for the long haul with an almost nonexistent sense of future proofing is one I don't want to be a part of. Especially since I only buy one console per gen.

Now to wait it out and see which of Sony and MS is less crazy next gen. Though if MS makes another PGR, I will not think twice and go 720.
How is Nintendo neglecting third parties when all 3 of the games I said I'm looking forward to are third party?

"Games of the caliber I've been playing on my Xbox"? - maybe in graphics, but gameplay?

All of those are stuff I pretty much expect anyway. PC is going to win again next gen.

Gods Beard... Plz.
PC doesn't have any games I want to play aside from DotA.

Having a tablet/controller is the only thing interesting about that system, everything else about it seems like Nintendo playing catch up.

Will look forward to Microsoft/Sony stealing that idea.
It's Nintendo catching up if all you care about is graphics. Otherwise, I thought Nintendo did just fine last generation.

Resident Evil 6 is a better game than Bayonetta.
I dare you to post that in the next FGC weekly thread.

Edit: Besides, if things continue the way they are, we might have a future with just Nintendo and Microsoft. I know what side I'm on in that battle...

Solune

QQ time:
This is some serious bull****. I can keep Devil Trigger up forever via Dark Harmonizer. I can get most of my bar back during Spiral Swords. But Veil of Mist? Dark Harmonizer has no effect! This seriously pisses me off. There are so many interesting setups here that are just dead. When the **** else is an assist made completely ineffective on a team because of an install effect?
Wow lol, this is when you know a great team becomes flawed due to the nature of non-synergizing mechanics. Quite a shame.
I'm buying it so I have it for when the games I want are released. Might as well. Also, I love Mario.

Bayonetta 2
The Wonderful 101
I already got mine this afternoon =3. But I think everyone knows the make or break game is going to be the new Smash. Unfortunately with the way Nintendo has handled online play AGAIN they are still generations behind in offering services. That's a great list though, needs to include Pikmin 3 and hopefully some other great games.
I don't agree with God's Beard entirely but, RE6 has kind of grown on me. It's a solid game that's unfortunately weighed down by bad design choices. Also it's one of the first games in a long time where I felt like I wanted to turn it off and stop it during the prologue chapter, it was just disorienting and really bad. I would say it's good to play, though the combat system is vastly overrated, it was really disappointing since I went in with really high expectations since it was the "only" thing worth playing for. Overall RE4 > RE5 > RE6 for current generation REs. Revelaitons is better than RE5 or 6 though.
Then Capcom will also probably have the good sense to give us an update on the PS3/360. No way would they pool money into the Wii U for that. I wouldn't get it just because I'd have to get another $100+ fight stick - blech! Plus the Wii U doesn't even have a slot for an ethernet cord, so the online would be even worse than the PS3.

No Monster Hunter on PS3 is REALLY fucken frustrating. All of the titles need to have some type of stupid infrastructure... Really infuriating.

Top Bottom