• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Mirror's Edge is a time-trial esque game too, but is definitely a love or hate game. For people who like speedruns basically. On later levels in the game, it comes down to a lot of quick thinking on how to traverse environments, and maintaining momentum in agility. The game get's special when your whizzing throughout areas majestically. I would say it's pretty mediocre overall considering the story is a massive waste of not much in the first place, and it's pretty short, but it's beautiful and feels special when you get in the vibe of moving around. I feel like it's one of those "must play" games whether you end up liking it or not.
There's definitely some value in experiencing games just for the novelty. That's why I buy anything Sting does. Always a unique take on the SRPG genre. One thing I love about the PS3 (or 360) is that it lets me sample a bunch of games and get the novelty without paying anything, so I can just buy the good ones!

Also, this is for you:
http://i3.minus.com/ibwrOOFJAo8xCw.jpg

Have you played Crackdown? Not that I'd think that'd scratch your itch since the mechanics are fairly simplistic too, but it was a different take on the sandbox genre with it's levelling system and fast-paced, mostly aerial combat. Or maybe Arkham City with it's advances to the combat engine that went beyond Counter -> Win from Arkham Asylum.

I kinda get what you like in games though, though I have difficulty describing it outside of focused and I guess more manipulative.
I didn't know Arkham City's combat changed from the original. I think I'm okay without having had experienced it. If I get more time I'd like to buy Catherine and go through that for the novelty (and, hopefully, a lot of laughs with my wife).

FSLink

Banned
So I can do the Nova crumple with Spencer assist -> hard tag -> Strange FoF loops now with some consistency on the right side....now for the left.
This team is actually pretty fun, lol. But I'm strangely finding the hard tag difficult because of the Spencer assist being called out right before the S xx H Rocket Punch. Need to work on not mashing the assist button and timing it I guess?

Taking a break from it to enjoy the Wii U though. Snagged Batman, NSMBU, ZombieU, and Nintendoland.
I'll probably pick up Tekken Tag later on. I'm saddened that Capcom didn't port a game over for launch. I would have loved Ultimate Marvel on the Wii U with the Vita features added on, it'd be easy to port over the Vita Controller functionality too.

LakeEarth

I keep seeing Nemo and Yipes crumple using the air version of rocket punch (actually getting Nova off the ground with the launcher jump cancel). Maybe that makes tagging Strange in a bit faster or something. Not sure.

Zissou

I think the Trish/Dante/Doom would be the best, personally. Combination of best assists for Trish + having better characters overall. You might want to consider switching it up to Trish/Doom/Dante instead of Trish/Dante/Doom, solely because Dante is a better over all anchor imo, and Doom probably gets more benefits from Dante supporting him than vice-versa. Just an idea.

As far as combos, that's a good one to start with. My combo is:
s.LMHS, sj.M, d+H, qcb.L, j.MH, s.H, cr.H, s.S, j.H, d.H, qcf.L, qcf.AA

That's my BnB, and it does more damage than the other variant and builds the same amount of bar as far as I know. If you want HM extensions, call it during the cr.H, then after relaunch go for sj.MM, dj.MMS, land, back up a bit if you're in the corner, qcb.H(try to TK it to ensure it hits), s.S, sj.S, wait, sj.S, land, tk qcf.AA.

Thanks for additional info. I definitely agree that Dante is more versatile/solid anchor than Doom- I put Dante second for better DHC options mostly. I suppose that if Trish dies, I could find a way to safely tag in Doom through DHC or some other means. Now to get to practicing that combo.

Do have any advice match-up wise? My gut feeling is that you want to play zoning against rushdown centric teams, but that Trish will have difficult against certain kinds of zoning teams and will be forced to play a more aggressive rush-down style against them.

Frantic

Do have any advice match-up wise? My gut feeling is that you want to play zoning against rushdown centric teams, but that Trish will have difficult against certain kinds of zoning teams and will be forced to play a more aggressive rush-down style against them.
I'm not the best at giving matchup advice(I tend to be too much of a 'gut feeling' player), but sure, I'll give it a shot.

You'll want to play a trap-centric footsie game against characters that want to rush you down. Hopscotch is best against characters like Wolverine who want to approach primarily from the ground, and as long as Trish doesn't get hit, it'll stay there to annoying them. Peekaboo is good against more airborne based characters, and characters with larger normals since it'll absorb it. I also use it just to put a hitbox on screen and dash back once or twice to lay down a Hopscotch. Low Voltage should really only be used at near to full screen since it's recovery is really bad, and you want to use the M version mainly, though the L version isn't bad every now and then. The H version has too much recovery on it for it to really be useful. Round Trip is useful for zoning and keepaway, but don't use it too much for rushing down. You'll probably just get pushblocked, though can actually be beneficial in some cases.

You'll want to switch it up to offense when you can, though. One thing about Trish is that everyone seems to be convinced she's going to keepaway forever, so switching between hiding behind traps to rushing down under the safety of those traps really messes with people. Attacking them when they're just outside the range of your traps is your best bet.

Trish's biggest weakness is against zoning/keepaway teams. Can't do much about them other than slowly edge forward until their back is to the corner where you can use j.L, j.H, s.H and traps to badger people into blocking an assist and go for mixups. Can also throw out Maximum Voltage if you've got meter to try to clear the screen and buy a couple seconds to push forward. Otherwise you just have to be patient. Might consider switching to Plasma Beam if you're going up against a zoning heavy team.

As for assists, I tend to call Weasel Shot during a cr.M, a j.H or a s.H. Tends to be the best times to call it, and then you can usually set up a mixup or two. I would call Missiles right before a Hopscotch, a Low Voltage M, or a Round Trip.

Hopefully that helps you some.

Frantic

Haha, I like it. The Devil Trigger animation makes it really hard to see what the hell is going on. Some things to try out:

1. Try calling Vajra during the cr.L, then teleporting after the Devil Trigger.
2. Try multi-dashing into s.H. It has a weird crossup hitbox, so it might cross them up if you're in the right spot.
3. If they tech forward, you can probably just s.M them and it'll hit.

One way to see how hard they are to block is record Player 1 doing them, then using a second controller to manually block. That's usually how I do it.

Also, here's something else to try. After a Killer Bee, instead of doing call Vajra + cr.HS, try doing call Vajra, cr.H, wait until the second hit of cr.H, teleport. :)

Assassin's Creed is not crap. The environments are constantly making me shit myself playing through the 3rd game. Sure, I actively avoid doing anything that involves the base mechanics but man is the extra stuff fun. Naval battles are ridiculously good. Homestead building and treasure hunting is amazing. I love all the little historical tidbits.

But goddamn if I don't hate running around buildings and stabbing people.

Azure J

Haha, I like it. The Devil Trigger animation makes it really hard to see what the hell is going on. Some things to try out:

1. Try calling Vajra during the cr.L, then teleporting after the Devil Trigger.
2. Try multi-dashing into s.H. It has a weird crossup hitbox, so it might cross them up if you're in the right spot.
3. If they tech forward, you can probably just s.M them and it'll hit.

One way to see how hard they are to block is record Player 1 doing them, then using a second controller to manually block. That's usually how I do it.

Also, here's something else to try. After a Killer Bee, instead of doing call Vajra + cr.HS, try doing call Vajra, cr.H, wait until the second hit of cr.H, teleport. :)

Funnily enough, 2 & 3 I had happen to me in a few of the takes to get the footage for this video. 1 looks like fun stuff to investigate. Maybe you'd like to do the honors for a video response? :p

That Million Stab thing looks retarded. XD

Frantic

Funnily enough, 2 & 3 I had happen to me in a few of the takes to get the footage for this video. 1 looks like fun stuff to investigate. Maybe you'd like to do the honors for a video response? :p
Haha, maybe. I'll see about experimenting with it.

That Million Stab thing looks retarded. XD
The only problem with it is if they hold forward, they'll block since the teleport won't cross up since it tracks their back, and their back is facing the wrong direction when teching forward.

The problem can be solved by using Drive instead of teleporting, but you'll have to guess which side they're going to be holding. Either way, it demolishes people who hold back during combos, and it also beats out people who mash buttons.

Zissou

I'm not the best at giving matchup advice(I tend to be too much of a 'gut feeling' player), but sure, I'll give it a shot.

You'll want to play a trap-centric footsie game against characters that want to rush you down. Hopscotch is best against characters like Wolverine who want to approach primarily from the ground, and as long as Trish doesn't get hit, it'll stay there to annoying them. Peekaboo is good against more airborne based characters, and characters with larger normals since it'll absorb it. I also use it just to put a hitbox on screen and dash back once or twice to lay down a Hopscotch. Low Voltage should really only be used at near to full screen since it's recovery is really bad, and you want to use the M version mainly, though the L version isn't bad every now and then. The H version has too much recovery on it for it to really be useful. Round Trip is useful for zoning and keepaway, but don't use it too much for rushing down. You'll probably just get pushblocked, though can actually be beneficial in some cases.

You'll want to switch it up to offense when you can, though. One thing about Trish is that everyone seems to be convinced she's going to keepaway forever, so switching between hiding behind traps to rushing down under the safety of those traps really messes with people. Attacking them when they're just outside the range of your traps is your best bet.

Trish's biggest weakness is against zoning/keepaway teams. Can't do much about them other than slowly edge forward until their back is to the corner where you can use j.L, j.H, s.H and traps to badger people into blocking an assist and go for mixups. Can also throw out Maximum Voltage if you've got meter to try to clear the screen and buy a couple seconds to push forward. Otherwise you just have to be patient. Might consider switching to Plasma Beam if you're going up against a zoning heavy team.

As for assists, I tend to call Weasel Shot during a cr.M, a j.H or a s.H. Tends to be the best times to call it, and then you can usually set up a mixup or two. I would call Missiles right before a Hopscotch, a Low Voltage M, or a Round Trip.

Hopefully that helps you some.

This is really helpful stuff. Now it's time to stop bugging you, put in some training mode time, and then see how I fare online. Thanks again.

Anyone want to play? I'm on.

Assassin's Creed is not crap. The environments are constantly making me shit myself playing through the 3rd game. Sure, I actively avoid doing anything that involves the base mechanics but man is the extra stuff fun. Naval battles are ridiculously good. Homestead building and treasure hunting is amazing. I love all the little historical tidbits.

But goddamn if I don't hate running around buildings and stabbing people.
So basically, Assassin's Creed is good as long as you aren't experiencing the core gameplay?

Did Captain America win a major or something? Because he's everywhere online right now.

EDIT: I don't know why I'm cracking up over the screenname "gootecks_dot_com," but I am. :lol

GGs Karst. You need to stop calling assists against Hulk. ESPECIALLY Strider, since he's the glue that holds your team together.
GGs. Your wired connection is pretty solid. Can you really only tell a slight difference? It was night and day to me.

I understand the risks of calling assists against Hulk, but it's necessary. Ghost Rider has no mobility, so I need to risk an assist call to get him in. I'm thinking about dropping Arthur for Dr. Doom, though, because unfortunately Plasma Beam just does a better job of what Arthur is doing. Sigh. I hate Doom. Besides, there were very few matches were an assist call lost me the game. The vast majority of the time I was having to recover against Nova's general retardation as a character.

Edit: Oh, and you have a nice Viewtiful Joe. Ryu feels kind of tacked on to your team, but it works I suppose. I kept having to tell my brain "block high, not low!" against Joe.

GGs. Your wired connection is pretty solid. Can you really only tell a slight difference? It was night and day to me.

I understand the risks of calling assists against Hulk, but it's necessary. Ghost Rider has no mobility, so I need to risk an assist call to get him in. I'm thinking about dropping Arthur for Dr. Doom, though, because unfortunately Plasma Beam just does a better job of what Arthur is doing. Sigh. I hate Doom. Besides, there were very few matches were an assist call lost me the game. The vast majority of the time I was having to recover against Nova's general retardation as a character.

Edit: Oh, and you have a nice Viewtiful Joe. Ryu feels kind of tacked on to your team, but it works I suppose. I kept having to tell my brain "block high, not low!" against Joe.

Yeah, I couldn't tell the difference from the last time we played at all. But whatever, as long as you like it I suppose. The ethernet cable only cost a buck. *shrug*

And Doom would fit like a glove on your team. Arthur can only do so much, and that's if people don't know how to fight him. If you're fighting someone who knows how to correctly pushblock him in XF3, then you have to risk going in. And against Hulk, it's very bad. Most of my victories against you came from bad assist calls on your end because I ended up wiping out half of Arthur and Strider's health when they jumped into a Gamma Wave.

And thanks for the Joe compliment. That's my other Joe team. I would've used the Raccoon version, but I didn't think it was going to make a difference against you, so I stuck with Team H.

Yeah, I couldn't tell the difference from the last time we played at all. But whatever, as long as you like it I suppose. The ethernet cable only cost a buck. *shrug*
Maybe you should have tried your Viewtiful Joe team instead. You don't do anything fancy with your Nova/Hulk/Sentinel team, so I suppose I can imagine not noticing the difference. I was definitely pleased though, and we'll play again.

And Doom would fit like a glove on your team. Arthur can only do so much, and that's if people don't know how to fight him. If you're fighting someone who knows how to correctly pushblock him in XF3, then you have to risk going in. And against Hulk, it's very bad. Most of my victories against you came from bad assist calls on your end because I ended up wiping out half of Arthur and Strider's health when they jumped into a Gamma Wave.
I can mix up the timing to mess with the XF3 pushblocking (use daggers, etc.). The real issue is that the daggers go to collide with an assist like Sentinel Force, but Hulk blocks one of the daggers, so one drone gets through and Arthur's daggers are now expended. This can be fixed by armoring Arthur up, but that takes time, and sometimes the drones have already done Ghost Rider in as a result. So, it seems like I definitely need to swap to a beam assist, but goddamn I will miss Arthur, because he's a blast to play. I never thought he's be the sort of character I would enjoy, since I love mobility.

And thanks for the Joe compliment. That's my other Joe team. I would've used the Raccoon version, but I didn't think it was going to make a difference against you, so I stuck with Team H.
Why didn't you think it would make a difference against me? I've never fought the Joe/RR combination, so I'd be interested to have the experience. Ghost Rider is probably pretty free to it. -_- Joe is already super hard for him to hit. He needs a command normal that lets him whip at a 30 degree angle upward to catch air dashes. I hated having to guess with qcb.M against Nova's air dashes, but it was all I had to go on. And it leads to no goddamn damage!

Why didn't you think it would make a difference against me? I've never fought the Joe/RR combination, so I'd be interested to have the experience. Ghost Rider is probably pretty free to it. -_- Joe is already super hard for him to hit. He needs a command normal that lets him whip at a 30 degree angle upward to catch air dashes. I hated having to guess with qcb.M against Nova's air dashes, but it was all I had to go on. And it leads to no goddamn damage!

I like Joe against Ghost Rider because it's pretty much a free win unless I get cocky and fuck up as a result, but you were covering him too well. I didn't know how you played Ghost Rider at the time before the disconnect, so I didn't want to take the risk of going in.

mr. puppy

Banned
took Viper/Mags/Dante out for a spin. It is better than Viper/Doom/Ammy in every single way, and if Marlinpie switched to it he could easily be back on top. Theres almost nothing about that team that I can't think of as an improvement.

Things Magneto can do with Jam Session (from Leafcolonel on SRK):
Jam Session is too godlike period, you can't go wrong with it. There are several things you can do with it:

-Million Dollars THC, The best THC in the game if your char does not have an OTG, all you need to do is make them block a stH or just do it raw with Shockwave if they have no air mobility options
-The KBeast Special, jump, air dash upwards, fly and dash around using Jam Session to approach and cross up. Personally I prefer other assists, but Jam Session is still great and you can confirm off it.
- Gives you really stupid confirms you normally can't get solo with Magneto ie : Jump up back jH xx L Blast, stH xx L disruptor, crH xx Disruptor, confirms off raw stH. All of these confirms are not doable solo despite how good they are, but Jam session allows you to confirm off all of those, you can even use it during your ground strings on block confirms.
-It gives you a much stronger start of the round game as Magneto. Magneto is already strong enough in the start of the round, but mashing Jam Session with his OSes make them very potent, and allows you to confirm your OSes on hit, and PUSHES THEM TO THE corner on block, I can't stress how stupid this is, push them into the corner and get free unpushblockable tridash mixups and great momentum at the start of the round.
-You get the classic crH/stH *call Jam Session* xx Repulsion after hypergrav loop in the corner reset for some dirty mixups afterward.
-You can actually use it to make attraction useful as you attract them into Jam Session, which is a hitbox wall that you can confirm off or set up mixups with if they are on the ground.
-It locks down for a long time giving you time to set up 1 or 2 high low mixups, you can also set up dirty left rights by hopping over the opponent during the last block of Jam Session which pushes the opponent back.
-It helps Magneto's Neutral Keepaway game very well. Magnetic Blasts+ Disruptor and Jam Sessions are very hard to get on in combination with Magneto's mobility and flight, the fact that Jam Session pushes back on block is very dirty in keepaway.

If you are going to run Magneto + Dante + Missiles. I'd recommend you mess around with the order depending on the matchups, as Disruptor is just as good of an assist for Dante, and Magneto can function solo pretty well with just missiles, so you might want to run Dante first vs Morrigan, and Magneto first vs other characters.

Venfayth

Asking in a couple different places, so excuse me if you've seen this post elsewhere :3

Anyone have a recommendation for some good noise cancelling headphones? I'm going to NEC and would like a nice pair before then.

How high execution is Dante roughly? I was looking at his combos at SRK and they just have me at o_O
Super high. To play at maximum potential, undoubtedly top 5 execution in the game.

Top 5 in execution requirements IMO (no order):
1) Dante
2) Morrigan
3) C. Viper
4) Magneto
5) Jill

For anyone curious, I'm judging by execution required for a solid neutral. I don't care about combo video crap. These characters all take a ton of work just to function.

Dahbomb

MODOK as well. His combos aren't that hard but his movement is highly unorthodox.

Iron Man is harder than Magneto. Harder hit confirms, narrower moves, 3 different j.Hs to choose from, need to master all his air dashes etc.

Rocket Raccoon has a tough neutral as well along with trickier movement, hard confirms and hard optimized combos.

Onemic

Super high. To play at maximum potential, undoubtedly top 5 execution in the game.

Top 5 in execution requirements IMO (no order):
1) Dante
2) Morrigan
3) C. Viper
4) Magneto
5) Jill

For anyone curious, I'm judging by execution required for a solid neutral. I don't care about combo video crap. These characters all take a ton of work just to function.

Well I'm learning mag right now, would you say Dante is roughly just as hard or harder?

MODOK as well. His combos aren't that hard but his movement is highly unorthodox.

Iron Man is harder than Magneto. Harder hit confirms, narrower moves, 3 different j.Hs to choose from, need to master all his air dashes etc.

Rocket Raccoon has a tough neutral as well along with trickier movement, hard confirms and hard optimized combos.
Iron Man is worse than Magneto, which isn't the same as being harder. Iron Man is definitely top 10.

MODOK is unorthodox, but I don't consider that to be the same thing as high execution. One requires a taste for his playstyle, but in general play the most execution heavy thing he does is IAD j.L, yah?

Like I said, I don't care about how hard the combos are. That's just practice in training mode, and most characters have super difficult combo stuff that takes a lot of practice to pull off. Anyone can learn the muscle memory for that stuff. What makes a character high execution to me is what you have to be doing every second of the match. I don't consider Rocket Raccoon in the top 5 for that sort of consideration.

Well I'm learning mag right now, would you say Dante is roughly just as hard or harder?
A different kind of hard.

Go into training mode and try to Stinger, bold cancel, Air Trick, and you'll see what I mean.

Dahbomb

What makes Magneto harder than IM? Gonna need to see the receipts on that.

RR has a lot of stuff you have to be doing in the neutral to be competitive with him. TK Spitfires, proper usage of Rocket Skates, float cancel shenanigans, very hard confirms especially the air to air stuff. If RR was any easier we would be seeing a lot of him because he has two great assists but he takes a lot of work.

mr. puppy

Banned
^ RR is possibly the worst character outside of Iron Fist at converting off of Jam Session. Or I'm just really frustrated with im as a character.

What makes Magneto harder than IM? Gonna need to see the receipts on that.

RR has a lot of stuff you have to be doing in the neutral to be competitive with him. TK Spitfires, proper usage of Rocket Skates, float cancel shenanigans, very hard confirms especially the air to air stuff. If RR was any easier we would be seeing a lot of him because he has two great assists but he takes a lot of work.
I agree that RR has difficult hit confirms, but that's about it. TKing a projectile? That's nothing. Rocket Skates is the same as dash-canceling but you need to use different buttons. Float canceling is just double tapping up. I agree he's high execution, but not top 5.

Magneto has to do aerial wavedashes, air dash Magnetic Blast in various directions, and his general movement requires your fingers to be doing a lot of work.

Dahbomb

So basically same as IM (replace Mag Blasts with Smart Bombs) but with way easier confirms, throw game, anti airs and no real reason to bother with his up down air dash.

With IM you are forced to learn to plink dash his ground dash to make it usable... Magneto has standard wave dash on the ground with good speed and a slide for easy confirms and punishes.

So basically same as IM (replace Mag Blasts with Smart Bombs) but with way easier confirms, throw game, anti airs and no real reason to bother with his up down air dash.

With IM you are forced to learn to plink dash his ground dash to make it usable... Magneto has standard wave dash on the ground with good speed and a slide for easy confirms and punishes.
Hahaha, come on Dahbomb. Do you really think I'll go along with equating the execution required for air dashing around with Magnetic Blast with Smart Bomb?

You have to do a lot of that stuff with Hsien-ko, too. But there's a difference between a crappy character who is highly limited, and one that requires high execution. I would definitely put Iron Man in top 10, but I still feel that Magneto requires higher execution.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/11/19/rumor-ae-2012-and-umvc3-heading-to-wii-u/

Dahbomb

Incorporating Smart Bombs as part of the air dash (forward/back or up/down) while spacing with various normals/Unibeam and flying/unflying is all not that easy to do. I am not saying air dashing and throwing Mag Blasts is easy (especially kara blasts) but neither is zoning in the air with IM.

In this scenario I am not even saying that Mag is better than IM but that they are equivalent in their aerial space control. The difference between is what I listed and I can't stress enough how much harder confirms are for IM as they are for Mag. Even their throw games despite being similar in that they can both convert off them from large distances IM has to jump through hoops to convert off his.

There is basically no reward to airdash canceling Smart Bombs compared to Mag Blasts. Come on. Just because something is really hard to do doesn't mean it should be considered part of a character's execution, or I'd just say try doing midscreen hyper grav loops.

Frantic

Magneto is definitely more execution heavy than Iron-Man, even if Iron-Man requires slightly more execution with certain things like hitconfirms. Nothing Iron-Man has is on par with the constant movement of Magneto + Magnetic Blasts. Only thing legitimately harder about Iron-Man is actually winning.

Also, I'm dubious about Dante being execution heavy in the neutral, but maybe I'm just too used to him. I do think he requires a ton of awareness, though.

Top Bottom