• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Thanks, that makes sense.

It's always way harder to replace your anchor than it is to replace your point character. You replace your point character, and you end up losing him quick, it's okay as long as you survive the incoming mixup. And you gave them a bunch of meter. When all you have left is a brand new anchor you aren't comfortable with, it's just like... yeah just put the controller down.
I also hate this.

Thanks to your video, and me copying every single input, I did my first FotF loop. :-O

Good to see I'm not the only one learning loopz :3

Got the corner ones down pretty much, need to learn a midscreen one for Doc, and then figure out his neutral game. It's pretty funky.

Nova's is a little bit easier to figure out (lololol dash+H) but getting tricks of the trade is the fun part for both of them.

Also, NovaStrange shell gives me a great colorset to wear the Spider-Armor. Black and yellow all day (don't like Khalifa doe). Shoutouts to Maziodyne for his Strange stuff too.

Karst wanna play? I have better internet.
Devil Must Die is a projectile.

yWpBx.png

Thanks for trying, Karst ;_;

Looks like I've got a whole new problem now... connection is fine but I'm timing out. Sigh. And I was thinking of a couple ways to get past your zoning hell, too.

Thanks for trying, Karst ;_;

Looks like I've got a whole new problem now... connection is fine but I'm timing out. Sigh. And I was thinking of a couple ways to get past your zoning hell, too.
I would get into your router settings and see what's up, or do what I do and google the router you have and "keeps timing out" or something like that, and see what others have done.

I would get into your router settings and see what's up, or do what I do and google the router you have and "keeps timing out" or something like that, and see what others have done.

See, that was the problem I used to have on xbox, so I had the IT guys slow down the authentication rate(since they won't give me the router password for my apartment building). It let me play on xbox for about 45 minutes without getting kicked out, but now PS3 gets kicked more often -_-

I figured we'd at least be able to get 5-10 games in at a time...

See, that was the problem I used to have on xbox, so I had the IT guys slow down the authentication rate(since they won't give me the router password for my apartment building). It let me play on xbox for about 45 minutes without getting kicked out, but now PS3 gets kicked more often -_-

I figured we'd at least be able to get 5-10 games in at a time...
Is that student housing, I assume?

If no router access...damn, good luck. Do you think if I stick around you might be able to resolve it, or should I power down?

Is that student housing, I assume?

If no router access...damn, good luck. Do you think if I stick around you might be able to resolve it, or should I power down?

Unless you want to play a game at a time, just power down. I think it has to do with the password system for the students refreshing and being like "who the hell is this? kick!"

Anyway, the first two games with phoenix I was trying to deathwish you lol but I did it too late and got grabbed both times so I just swapped to Strider.

Unless you want to play a game at a time, just power down. I think it has to do with the password system for the students refreshing and being like "who the hell is this? kick!"

Anyway, the first two games with phoenix I was trying to deathwish you lol but I did it too late and got grabbed both times so I just swapped to Strider.
We'll play more when you get stuff fixed. So your building upgraded your internet?

We'll play more when you get stuff fixed. So your building upgraded your internet?

Yeah, it's been a lot smoother lately, it's just a pain using consoles. The fact that I could do plink dashes at all online even if the directions got kinda messed up was proof enough. Too bad, I wanted to test Phoenix drills against your team.

Frantic

Anyone know if Thor can get more out of whiffing his Mighty Punish during Million Dollars than just Jam Session + Launch, TK Mighty Strike H, Mighty Strike L, Mighty Spark M? Feels like there's way more I can do off it, but I don't know how to combo with Thor.

JeTmAn81

Yo Mahvel, I finally got a Vita:

20121126_1148003-1.jpg

Any questions for me? I think I'll be enjoying my time with this device. After a few minutes, I was able to pull off a standard Dante BnB (though no plinking like I do on stick), although I think I will be sticking to low execution characters. I've got a Haggar/Hulk/? configuration in mind. Charge characters seem like a no-go in general on this thing.

Anyone know if Thor can get more out of whiffing his Mighty Punish during Million Dollars than just Jam Session + Launch, TK Mighty Strike H, Mighty Strike L, Mighty Spark M? Feels like there's way more I can do off it, but I don't know how to combo with Thor.
Does that do more than just Jam Session + Mighty Spark H, Mighty Spark H? Move hits like a truck.

Yo Mahvel, I finally got a Vita:

20121126_1148003-1.jpg

Any questions for me? I think I'll be enjoying my time with this device. After a few minutes, I was able to pull off a standard Dante BnB (though no plinking like I do on stick), although I think I will be sticking to low execution characters. I've got a Haggar/Hulk/? configuration in mind. Charge characters seem like a no-go in general on this thing.
If you happen to be bored and want to record a video of Nemesis' throw hitboxes...

And if you have Haggar/Hulk, Sentinel is a no-brainer third IMO. GAMMA CHARGE! your way to victory.
Expect many ragequits on the Vita.

Frantic

Does that do more than just Jam Session + Mighty Spark H, Mighty Spark H? Move hits like a truck.
One Mighty Spark H does 40k short of the combo above, so I'm sure that would be the most damaging option. I just can't seem to find a way to link two of them together using Jam Session. They flip out before the second one connects. Is it actually possible?

JeTmAn81

If you happen to be bored and want to record a video of Nemesis' throw hitboxes...

No problem, I will probably wait to do it until I get my new white Vita tomorrow (lol, I bought a used Vita and then bit on a Black Friday deal for a new one, so I will be reselling the black one pictured).

And if you have Haggar/Hulk, Sentinel is a no-brainer third IMO. GAMMA CHARGE! your way to victory.
Expect many ragequits on the Vita.

I've thought about Sentinel, though despite my lengthy playtime with him in Vanilla I am nowhere near good enough to play him competently on anchor. That actually takes skill. Maybe I'll just switch the anchor around from time to time. Hawkeye works very well for relaunches with Haggar. Doom could be good too, though missiles seem to work a lot less efficiently with Haggar than with Hulk in the combo department.

Also, the Vita ragequitting stuff is legendary, but I prefer player match anyway and people (almost) never ragequit from a player match.

mr. puppy

Banned
dumb/stupid team of the week:
Nemesis/Dorm/Sentinel

theory team of the week that i'll never win with:
Firebrand/Rocket/Dante

pro teams of the week i'm ripping off:
Kbeast: Viper/Mags/Dante
Combofiend: She-hulk/Spencer/Strange (omg they all start with S)

team "Dante and his bitches":
Viper/Morrigan/Dante

So I e-mailed Viscant about my team troubles, and he was gracious enough to write me back and offer advice.

"Pick Doom."
Fuck.
Still grateful that he took the time.

One Mighty Spark H does 40k short of the combo above, so I'm sure that would be the most damaging option. I just can't seem to find a way to link two of them together using Jam Session. They flip out before the second one connects. Is it actually possible?
I was just hypothesizing. I know jack about Thor.

No problem, I will probably wait to do it until I get my new white Vita tomorrow (lol, I bought a used Vita and then bit on a Black Friday deal for a new one, so I will be reselling the black one pictured).
Thank you!

I've thought about Sentinel, though despite my lengthy playtime with him in Vanilla I am nowhere near good enough to play him competently on anchor. That actually takes skill. Maybe I'll just switch the anchor around from time to time. Hawkeye works very well for relaunches with Haggar. Doom could be good too, though missiles seem to work a lot less efficiently with Haggar than with Hulk in the combo department.
Hmm, I would mess around and see what other assists make Gamma Charge safe, then. That's priority 1 for a Hulk team IMO. Dagger Toss, Unibeam, Plasma Beam...hmm.

Also, the Vita ragequitting stuff is legendary, but I prefer player match anyway and people (almost) never ragequit from a player match.
I dig.

The FGC needs to take a hint from Dr. Strange and read a goddamn book.
Like this guy who just posted in there and spelled "allowed" "aloud"! ;-)

Frantic

People that rage quit from a player match are hilarious to me. I can't help but think "why" everytime it happens. So silly.

So I e-mailed Viscant about my team troubles, and he was gracious enough to write me back and offer advice.

"Pick Doom."
Fuck.
Still grateful that he took the time.
It's the obvious answer, but I don't blame you for not wanting to pick Doom. Doom is boring.

I'm just glad I found what I consider the perfect team for me. Dante/Trish/Strider for life.

I was just hypothesizing. I know jack about Thor.
Ah, okay.

I'm having team identity issues but on a small scale. I just can't decide if I should stick with Rocket/Strider/Ammy, Strider/Rocket/Ammy, Rocket/Ammy/Strider, or Strider/Ammy/Rocket. They're all just plain fun to play D:

Although I guess that it says much about the team when I can play it in literally any configuration and still feel that it works properly.

I'm having team identity issues but on a small scale. I just can't decide if I should stick with Rocket/Strider/Ammy, Strider/Rocket/Ammy, Rocket/Ammy/Strider, or Strider/Ammy/Rocket. They're all just plain fun to play D:

Although I guess that it says much about the team when I can play it in literally any configuration and still feel that it works properly.
Matchup-based is the correct answer. When I ran Vergil/Dormammu/Morrigan, I swapped the order based on my opponent. Vergil and Dormammu against Hulk + Sentinel is murder, but Morrigan's c.L beats anything Hulk can do. I usually only put Dormammu on point against Phoenix Wright, because he can burn the Maya shield down quickly.

JeTmAn81

It's the obvious answer, but I don't blame you for not wanting to pick Doom. Doom is boring.

For me, Doom is more non-intuitive than he is boring. He's got too many options to really be boring, IMO, but the way he moves is so unwieldy I've never really gotten into him.

mr. puppy

Banned

doesn't that dude who i posted kicking ass with rr/ammy use strider with it? with strider last?

If I were you i would do strider/rocket/ammy, just b/c nobody uses point strider and otherwise you're just jacking the other dudes team. kinda like how everybody on the rocket raccoon boards on SRK has either frank or joe on their teams like they thought it up on their own and have never 'heard of this kusoru guy before.' thuogh you had frank or joe on your team for a long time before kusoru i believe, right?

In theory, which orders would you say are the best? Obviously Rocket/Ammy/Strider for MorriDoom teams, but besides that?
I don't know the matchups for your characters well enough to think it through. I mean, clearly Rocket Raccoon is your only character that can play keepaway, so that's one thing to consider. Amaterasu has the reflector, so there's that. Strider...is awesome at everything.

@Karst: I don't think I could play Rocket as keepaway, but yeah, of the 3 I'd say he's the best at controlling the screen.

doesn't that dude who i posted kicking ass with rr/ammy use strider with it? with strider last?

If I were you i would do strider/rocket/ammy, just b/c nobody uses point strider and otherwise you're just jacking the other dudes team. kinda like how everybody on the rocket raccoon boards on SRK has either frank or joe on their teams like they thought it up on their own and have never 'heard of this kusoru guy before.' thuogh you had frank or joe on your team for a long time before kusoru i believe, right?

To the first point, yes, but I had already tried that team before, that guy just inspired me to give it a second chance now that I'm somewhat better.

I'm mostly switching between S/R/A and R/S/A currently. Also, yeah, I've used Rocket with Frank since before Kusoru, it's an obvious combination in the same way Dante/Frank are.

Frantic

For me, Doom is more non-intuitive than he is boring. He's got too many options to really be boring, IMO, but the way he moves is so unwieldy I've never really gotten into him.
Eh... he's just incredibly straight forward. You won't find radically different Dooms between all the top players. They all play him more or less the same. The only one who plays him slightly differently is Clockwork, and that's because he plays him on point rather than as an assist character.

Eh... he's just incredibly straight forward. You won't find radically different Dooms between all the top players. They all play him more or less the same. The only one who plays him slightly differently is Clockwork, and that's because he plays him on point rather than as an assist character.
Choose your Doom playstyle (entirely matchup-based!):
1. Superjump, Photon Shot, Fly, Photon Shot, Photon Shot, j.S, PLASMA BEAM!
2. Jump forward with j.H to put your opponent in blockstun, and then hop into c.L!
3. Hidden Missiles! THC cancel to wait out your opponent's XF3!

Frantic

Choose your Doom playstyle (entirely matchup-based!):
1. Superjump, Photon Shot, Fly, Photon Shot, Photon Shot, j.S, PLASMA BEAM!
2. Jump forward with j.H to put your opponent in blockstun, and then hop into c.L!
3. Hidden Missiles! THC cancel to wait out your opponent's XF3!

Don't forget

4. Super jump, addf, j.M! It might cross up!

LakeEarth

Or my Doom playstyle, boxjump M too much, get air thrown. I only start doing the lame shit when time is running out and I don't want to get hit. At least when I crossup foot dive, I actually meant for it to cross up.

I really need to do #2 more often.

Don't forget

4. Super jump, addf, j.M! It might cross up!
How could I forget! That was 100% of my Vanilla Doom gameplay.

Or my Doom playstyle, boxjump M too much, get air thrown. I only start doing the lame shit when time is running out and I don't want to get hit. At least when I crossup foot dive, I actually meant for it to cross up.

I really need to do #2 more often.
#2 with Vajra assist is so good. I just tried it for the first time last night.

Zissou

I have all kinds of layers of complexity to my doom. Sometimes I do ground photon spark or try to throw people! Kidding aside, I do understand why Doom might be boring to some people, but I really enjoy playing him as my main point character. I think he's a much more interesting character to play when properly assisted, and I'd even argue he's kind of 'meh' on point without both an anti-air (vajra, jam session, etc.) and a lockdown assist- he doesn't feel like a complete character without those.

I have all kinds of layers of complexity to my doom. Sometimes I do ground photon spark or try to throw people! Kidding aside, I do understand why Doom might be boring to some people, but I really enjoy playing him as my main point character. I think he's a much more interesting character to play when properly assisted, and I'd even argue he's kind of 'meh' on point without both an anti-air (vajra, jam session, etc.) and a lockdown assist- he doesn't feel like a complete character without those.
Photon Shot, FYI.

I think Doom is a situational point character. Even with an anti-air, you don't want to use him against Hawkeye + Sentinel, but you sure as hell want to use him against Wolverine + Akuma.

Zissou

Photon Shot, FYI.

I think Doom is a situational point character. Even with an anti-air, you don't want to use him against Hawkeye + Sentinel, but you sure as hell want to use him against Wolverine + Akuma.

Even with optimal assists, there's no doubt that Doom has some terrible match-ups. It's largely why I run Doom/Dante/Strider- I can start Dante against the Hawkeyes and Dormammus so that Doom doesn't have to deal with them (if things go according to plan).

I'm terrible at remembering move names, like Ultradavid calling stalking flare 'run run ball' terrible, haha.

Zissou

Dante's bold cancel into Air trick is hard :/

What are you finding difficult about it? I'm assuming you're doing df+mash H, stinger, and then bold-canceling into teleport? The most consistent way for me is mash down-fwd H, rotate the stick to forward for stinger while still mashing the hell out of H, and then while my ring finger is still on H from cold shower and stinger and my thumb is hovering over S, as stinger happens I quickly do down, down, H~S (plinking them). If you're using a pad, apologies for the useless advice!

edit: oops, dp

Onemic

What are you finding difficult about it? I'm assuming you're doing df+mash H, stinger, and then bold-canceling into teleport? The most consistent way for me is mash down-fwd H, rotate the stick to forward for stinger while still mashing the hell out of H, and then while my ring finger is still on H from cold shower and stinger and my thumb is hovering over S, as stinger happens I quickly do down, down, H~S (plinking them). If you're using a pad, apologies for the useless advice!

edit: oops, dp

I'll get it, it'll probably take a few more days. I don't plink the bold cancel to airtrick, but I do down + L + S, down + S. It works, but the mess ups come from me hitting the S before inputting down. It's slowly becoming more consistent though. I just like venting my frustration here haha.

Whats the use of the df H, stinger, bold cancel into air trick? Is it for a combo? Right now I'm just learning the stringer, bold cancel into air trick for Dante's anywhere BnB, when you're more than half a screen away from the corner.

JeTmAn81

I remember when I was first learning Dante I made his teleport a bit overcomplicated by reading the required inputs as:

Down, Down, S

rather than

Down, Down + S (Down and S simultaneously)

So that alone helped me do anything involving his teleport much more easily. As far as Stinger Bold Cancelled into his teleport, it's a matter of practicing those three steps over and over:

1. Forward+H (Does the Stinger)
2. Down+H+S (The H+S takes care of the Bold Move required for the cancel, while the Down serves as the first Down required for the teleport)
3. Down+S (Completing the teleport sequence)

I basically just drilled that over and over until it became a part of muscle memory. It's not so complicated when you take each step individually.

Zissou

I'll get it, it'll probably take a few more days. I don't plink the bold cancel to airtrick, but I do down + L + S, down + S. It works, but the mess ups come from me hitting the S before inputting down. It's slowly becoming more consistent though. I just like venting my frustration here haha.

Whats the use of the df H, stinger, bold cancel into air trick? Is it for a combo? Right now I'm just learning the stringer, bold cancel into air trick for Dante's anywhere BnB, when you're more than half a screen away from the corner.

The two ways stinger is usually incorperated into combos are most typically after clay pigeon as they are falling down, or after a hard knockdown, after which you do cold shower into stinger and then bold cancel into air trick. For the former, I bold cancel using L~S, and in the OTG one, I use H~S. I choose the button used for bold canceling into air trick based on where my hand will be already positioned due to the previous move.

shaowebb

Dormammu is done.

He emits fire and the flames are HUGE. He also spawns fireballs and then equips them which adds a TON of adjectives to them to make them invincible and stalking. He then drops them and they float around killing everything. Dude floats, hates, and generally has a fully banked power of the destructor fist glow going on. He attacks good on sight and in general is malevolent as fuck.

dCqTh.jpg

fShLy.jpg

So far he's had over a dozen stalking flares up at once while STILL shooting off nonstop his Chaotic Flame nonstop and dropping Power of the Destructor flame balls at the sight of ANYTHING. Haggar tried, but he couldn't get in on Dormammu and lost.

Zissou

I like how the Haggar/Dorm match-up is still accurate in scribblenauts, lol. How long are you going to keep doing new characters?

Dormammu is done.

He emits fire and the flames are HUGE. He also spawns fireballs and then equips them which adds a TON of adjectives to them to make them invincible and stalking. He then drops them and they float around killing everything. Dude floats, hates, and generally has a fully banked power of the destructor fist glow going on. He attacks good on sight and in general is malevolent as fuck.

dCqTh.jpg

fShLy.jpg

So far he's had over a dozen stalking flares up at once while STILL shooting off nonstop his Chaotic Flame nonstop and dropping Power of the Destructor flame balls at the sight of ANYTHING. Haggar tried, but he couldn't get in on Dormammu and lost.
Holy wow, this is awesome! You should post this in the FG Weekly Thread. Bookmarking this post.

shaowebb

I like how the Haggar/Dorm match-up is still accurate in scribblenauts, lol. How long are you going to keep doing new characters?
Probably till I make the whole cast and then I'll do some KoF cast. I'm thinking of doing the robot next.
Holy wow, this is awesome! You should post this in the FG Weekly Thread. Bookmarking this post.
Your welcome to post this if you want lol. You have my permission.

So far ive made and scripted as close to the source material as I could.
  • Iron Fist (Manly Fist)
  • Morrigan (Morigan)
  • Haggar (Mayor of Earth)
  • Dormammu (Dormington)

Sentinel is high on my to do list, I'd enjoy making a scrubby Wesker that jumps and shoots constantly, and since I've seen Ryu and Ammy on the workshop already they are both low priorities for me. Any requests?

Top Bottom