• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

GGs! Is the Chris team your main team? I need to learn to fight against vajra assist better, haha. Also, I could not for the life of me superjump out of prone shot stuff- I need to work out the timing for that in training mode. Your Dante/Strider put mine to shame. I know that feel of messing up Dante stuff- very frustrating.

My main team is either that Chris team, or Chris/Spencer/Sentinel. But I don't consider either team my best team cause lololololol Zero/Dante/Vergil.

And I really wouldn't even consider Zero/Dante/Vergil my best team, it's just the fact that I can kill off of one random ass hit, so it's the team I use in tourneys.....which makes me sad. I also use Doom/Dorm/Sentinel in tourneys because people have an extremely hard time dealing with it, but I also don't think I'm very good with them.

I'd rather be known as a Chris player or a Felicia player. And excellent job on figuring out Felicia so quickly (magnetic blasts definitely help of course, haha). I think you are the first player online or offline to do it that fast. Most of the time she's good for about 10 matches. I think you figured her out in like 3.

Oh and yeah prone shot is a bitch. And didn't you fools wanna make that a move you can special cancel.....I'll take it...happily.

GGs Beef. I got so hype the one match where I won by beating Doom full screen at super jump height by using cell phone > sumper jump Objection > Ace Attorney right as I landed but before you did. Never done that before. Also your doom team would have murdered me if you chose plasma beam instead of missiles FYI. Is Joe pretty susceptible to attacks after slow mo? It seemed like if I X-Factor'd right at the end of recovery I could hit you. The only thing you could probably do is X-Factor yourself. I wonder if I X-Factor into command throw if that would be pretty much a guaranteed combo. GGs none the less.

GGs Beef. I got so hype the one match where I won by beating Doom full screen at super jump height by using cell phone > sumper jump Objection > Ace Attorney right as I landed but before you did. Never done that before. Also your doom team would have murdered me if you chose plasma beam instead of missiles FYI. Is Joe pretty susceptible to attacks after slow mo? It seemed like if I X-Factor'd right at the end of recovery I could hit you. The only thing you could probably do is X-Factor yourself. I wonder if I X-Factor into command throw if that would be pretty much a guaranteed combo. GGs none the less.

You have to throw Joe after Slow (lol the rhyming), Snapback, or tag out. Those are your only real escape options after Slow. Crouching jabs will beat people trying to press buttons, and his overhead is just fast enough against a slowed opponent to beat things, too. Taskmaster can't even use his super counter after Slow since Joe can cancel into standing Six Machine Cannon. The XF activation shocked me so I didn't know what to do. I'm fairly certain that even after an XF Joe can beat anything that isn't a throw, though.

GGs, btw. I only use Dom for missiles! I don't like using him at all, which is why I kept going for foot dive.

Ghazi

I swear I'm blocking half the things I get hit by, and still get hit by them. Literally just blocking high attacks with back somehow still leaves me open I don't understand.

Even for very fast cross ups, for example with karst, I'm switching sides that I'm blocking and still getting hit by his high attack even though I transitioned sides right before he attacks. Neither blocking nor throws work in this game, for me, or I can't get them to work :/

I block that Dormammu mix up at the arcade all the time, I don't understand why I'm getting it by it at home most of the time.

I swear I'm blocking half the things I get hit by, and still get hit by them. Literally just blocking high attacks with back somehow still leaves me open I don't understand.

Even for very fast cross ups, for example with karst, I'm switching sides that I'm blocking and still getting hit by his high attack even though I transitioned sides right before he attacks. Neither blocking nor throws work in this game, for me, or I can't get them to work :/

I block that Dormammu mix up at the arcade all the time, I don't understand why I'm getting it by it at home most of the time.
The netcode sucks, but it is what it is.

It gets better with time and patience........maybe.

This game is fucking brutal.

Ghazi

It gets better with time and patience........maybe.

This game is fucking brutal.

Apparently not for every single person that isn't me on XBL, seriously I have to be one of if not the worst player on Xbox Live. In the past 6 months I've never found a person who I've been able to win consistently against, no matter how new to the game they are.

I really wish I knew why I end all my blockstrings with S, but it doesn't matter anyway.

Marz

Hey Gods Beard how is team Alioune working out for you? Isn't it like suicide to play without a neutral assist?

Apparently not for every single person that isn't me on XBL, seriously I have to be one of if not the worst player on Xbox Live. In the past 6 months I've never found a person who I've been able to win consistently against, no matter how new to the game they are.

I'm not sure what advice I can give.

Well...when I am trying to get better at a fighting game I try to break it down into sections. The first thing I do is defense. No matter what combos you know or cool tricks and shit you have, none of it will matter if you can't defend yourself. So screw everything else you want to learn and just focus on defense.

I know you just made a point that you can't block shit, but go into training mode and set Dorm or whoever to just repeatedly cross you up until you can block it. Plus since you're playing online it's gonna be kinda hard to react to certain blocks. Sometimes you just have to predict it. Hell that goes for offline too. No one can react to Zero.....you just have to guess and hope.

God this game of all games needs an online training mode.

And after you've got defense down then you can move on to something else. I usually do footsies.

And you've just gotta get into the right mindset for this, otherwise the road is gonna be even more long and difficult. You can't give up.

I really wish I knew why I end all my blockstrings with S, but it doesn't matter anyway.
Yeah I was gonna mention that you should really stop doing that. It'll matter once you get your defense down and start working on footsies and blockstrings.

Hey Gods Beard how is team Alioune working out for you? Isn't it like suicide to play without a neutral assist?

Well I'm used to playing anchor magneto and I've been working on nothing but movement for the past month or so so it doesn't feel any different. The only thing is that I have to use four fingers to plink dash and call morrigan at the same time.

To be honest not having the neutral assist feels more natural to me than using Jam Session or drones. I get too locked in to certain setups for calling assists and Karst always gives me shit for it.

I just like flying around with mag blasts. I wish there were three characters that could do that, but only Magneto and Morrigan can play in that style.

Speaking of Morry, I need to learn that meter-neutral TAC infinite and her regular-ass infinite. I think I can get the latter off a hyper grav raw tag.

Marz

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95654782]Well I'm used to playing anchor magneto and I've been working on nothing but movement for the past month or so so it doesn't feel any different. The only thing is that I have to use four fingers to plink dash and call morrigan at the same time.

To be honest not having the neutral assist feels more natural to me than using Jam Session or drones. I get too locked in to certain setups for calling assists and Karst always gives me shit for it.

I just like flying around with mag blasts. I wish there were three characters that could do that, but only Magneto and Morrigan can play in that style.

Speaking of Morry, I need to learn that meter-neutral TAC infinite and her regular-ass infinite. I think I can get the latter off a hyper grav raw tag.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel man, Magneto is like the only character I really like playing. I like a lot of the Marvel cast but none of them FEEL right except for Mags.

I think Storm could do it for me but she's just so hard to make work on a team

I might just end up playing Magneto/Morrigan/Doom or something.

Ghazi

Well, I usually practice on bots, not people. I wasn't even able to bold cancel or do my Jill jump loops online, that's how little I play online. I could jump into training now and do all those things on my first try, I have them down. I just can never do anything online, or against a moving opponent.

iuelFshMhBsCA.gif
(I know it's a shitty gif, sorry)
I audibly groaned and threw my stick on the ground when this happened. I'm surprised I managed to dodge it twice though (yes, it was on purpose)

I'm not sure what advice I can give.

Well...when I am trying to get better at a fighting game I try to break it down into sections. The first thing I do is defense. No matter what combos you know or cool tricks and shit you have, none of it will matter if you can't defend yourself. So screw everything else you want to learn and just focus on defense.

I know you just made a point that you can't block shit, but go into training mode and set Dorm or whoever to just repeatedly cross you up until you can block it. Plus since you're playing online it's gonna be kinda hard to react to certain blocks. Sometimes you just have to predict it. Hell that goes for offline too. No one can react to Zero.....you just have to guess and hope.
Well, I feel like I can block alright, and that's something that will improve over time (and has). Playing at the arcade has helped me a lot in regards to this, and I generally don't have a problem blocking offline. Of course, I still get crossed up and mixed up all the time by those bs things like Zero and other things. It's online that usually kills me, because of the lag. Another problem with practicing blocking those cross ups and stuff would be that I'd have to actually learn how to do them, to program the dummy in training, something that I won't have time for soon.

And you've just gotta get into the right mindset for this, otherwise the road is gonna be even more long and difficult. You can't give up.
I'm constantly close to it. I used to be pretty optimistic when playing this game, after the amount of time I've put into it I've actually gotten worse. I won more matches around the beginning of my record. I want to get good at it, but it's pretty disheartening. When I wake up tomorrow, I guarantee the first thing I'll be thinking is: "Another day to work on Marvel!" and I won't be feeling down like I am now. It's the constant and daily set up for disappointment I put myself through that makes me mad, not the game. But, now that I look back on it, I can't say I've accomplished anything over the week and a half that I've been playing this game straight for.

Yeah I was gonna mention that you should really stop doing that. It'll matter once you get your defense down and start working on footsies and blockstrings.
It's just one of those things, that as I've gotten more frustrated with this game, that I just want to mash my frustration out without care for the consequences because the outcome of matches have always been the same. Unfortunately it's become a muscle memory habit that I've never attempted to break.

I only know that one BnB with Wolverine and I haven't gone into training with him since summer. I don't understand how I do best with him, while the other characters I'm better with I do awful when playing online. Today was the first day I tried implementing plinking into my online game, it obviously didn't go well.

Well, I usually practice on bots, not people. I wasn't even able to bold cancel or do my Jill jump loops online, that's how little I play online. I could jump into training now and do all those things on my first try, I have them down. I just can never do anything online, or against a moving opponent.

(I know it's a shitty gif, sorry)
I audibly groaned and threw my stick on the ground when this happened. I'm surprised I managed to dodge it twice though (yes, it was on purpose)

Well, I feel like I can block alright, and that's something that will improve over time (and has). Playing at the arcade has helped me a lot in regards to this, and I generally don't have a problem blocking offline. Of course, I still get crossed up and mixed up all the time by those bs things like Zero and other things. It's online that usually kills me, because of the lag. Another problem with practicing blocking those cross ups and stuff would be that I'd have to actually learn how to do them, to program the dummy in training, something that I won't have time for soon.

I'm constantly close to it. I used to be pretty optimistic when playing this game, after the amount of time I've put into it I've actually gotten worse. I won more matches around the beginning of my record. I want to get good at it, but it's pretty disheartening. When I wake up tomorrow, I guarantee the first thing I'll be thinking is: "Another day to work on Marvel!" and I won't be feeling down like I am now. It's the constant and daily set up for disappointment I put myself through that makes me mad, not the game. But, now that I look back on it, I can't say I've accomplished anything over the week and a half that I've been playing this game straight for.

It's just one of those things, that as I've gotten more frustrated with this game, that I just want to mash my frustration out without care for the consequences because the outcome of matches have always been the same. Unfortunately it's become a muscle memory habit that I've never attempted to break.

I only know that one BnB with Wolverine and I haven't gone into training with him since summer. I don't understand how I do best with him, while the other characters I'm better with I do awful when playing online. Today was the first day I tried implementing plinking into my online game, it obviously didn't go well.

Well you don't have to know much with Wolverine at a low level which is why he's such a good character starting out. He does massive damage and easy damage.

Why not switch to an easier team? Something like Wolverine/Akuma/Vergil, or some kind of variation of Wolverine and Vergil.
Wolverine/Akuma/Vergil or Wolverine/Vergil/Akuma
Wolverine/Frank/Vergil
Wolverine/Doom/Vergil
Wolverine/Vergil/Iron Man

I'd say go with one of the first two teams. Very simple and very effective. Just start from square one. One step at a time. No advance tactics...just simple shit. Don't worry about things like plinking and shit. It comes with time. Stop with Jill, stop with Chris, and stop with any other character. Stick with that team until you can comfortably keep winning with them.

It's not hard to do crossups with Dorm. Just jump and air dash down forward and press either H or S. Have the dummy endlessly repeat that and then do another character.

And as for your gif. Why did you stop playing? Because Firebrand is a dickhead? Spam happens man. You can't just stop in that situation. Just sit back and be patient for a second. Or do what Wolverine does best and just throw out a button (usually a divekick). A divekick definitely would've stopped him.

Ghazi

Well you don't have to know much with Wolverine at a low level which is why he's such a good character starting out. He does massive damage and easy damage.

Why not switch to an easier team? Something like Wolverine/Akuma/Vergil, or some kind of variation of Wolverine and Vergil.
Wolverine/Akuma/Vergil or Wolverine/Vergil/Akuma
Wolverine/Frank/Vergil
Wolverine/Doom/Vergil
Wolverine/Vergil/Iron Man

I'd say go with one of the first two teams. Very simple and very effective. Just start from square one. One step at a time. No advance tactics...just simple shit. Don't worry about things like plinking and shit. It comes with time. Stop with Jill, stop with Chris, and stop with any other character. Stick with that team until you can comfortably keep winning with them.
Well, I mean the stuff I do with Dante isn't really advanced, nor is the Jill stuff. It's just how I use it in situations is where I've gone wrong. I've never felt like anything was too complicated, I'd just keep working until I figured it out. So, I don't think it's a hard team, I'm just doing things wrong.

I don't think I want to main Wolverine though, Swiss Cheese gets on my nerves (when I'm trying to dash or mash a grab out) and he's so easy to play I actually find him difficult to play, though that makes no sense.

Watch the way I play compared to a lot of the people out there: cloud805 and SumBrownKid's Dante, (Non)SexualRice and Paulow3b's Jill. The way I play them is just wrong, not playing to their strengths I guess. The combos (online) will work out right the more I play online, but I never can practice them because I never open people up and get bodied when I'm dealing with a moving target instead of a bot.

A friend told me I play my Dante too much like Vergil, and someone at the arcade agreed with that thought. Everyone box dashes with Dante, I find the motion uncomfortable and it takes too long to come out, besides most people who play Dante have the character down crazy well, to a point I don't think I'm capable of matching. There aren't many Jill players at all, so that's a unique experience for me. I have a problem with try to go to Feral Stance all the time and you can't block while doing the inputs for it and while you're actually in Feral Stance, so I always get screwed over with that. I've never really had a stable third character, I've been switching around with the third character a lot (Iron Man, Frank, Wolverine, Vergil, Wesker, Magneto) and the order of the team. Chris was the newest character I was trying.

Tomorrow, I'm just going to take a break from playing, hopefully. I'll focus on watching videos of what's successful for those top players and try to incorporate them into my play style. This is my first fighting game, really, so everything I'm doing is all new to me. It's just disheartening to think I started playing the game with a group of friends in summer 2012, and they've gone on to be people like First Lords and their pretty good. Admittedly, they played every day to get there, and I can only play on Saturdays though.

It's not hard to do crossups with Dorm. Just jump and air dash down forward and press either H or S. Have the dummy endlessly repeat that and then do another character.
Ok, I'll try it when I play again. I may go look up some of the stuff FChamp does and try blocking those.

And as for your gif. Why did you stop playing? Because Firebrand is a dickhead? Spam happens man. You can't just stop in that situation. Just sit back and be patient for a second. Or do what Wolverine does best and just throw out a button (usually a divekick). A divekick definitely would've stopped him.
I stopped.... because I didn't want to deal with it. It seemed like an invincible moved and I was already super frustrated at the game up to that point. In hindsight I should've done his super and DHC'd into Machine Gun Spray.

Ghaz, I know everyone says you need to play better players to get better, but it is important to play people worse than you, too. Easy wins often give you the room you need to practice things you are otherwise too frustrated to do in a difficult match.

That being said, if you need an online training mode sometime, I can go in a lobby and just AFK so you can feel out the online more. I am sure some folks here would be glad to do nothing but block while you go on the offense. The reason I swapped to my point Dormammu team against you was to give you more breathing room to play. I tend to pick that team because it keeps my Dormammu limber and gives less experienced players a chance to open me up.

There were also a few matches I turtles against you and went for nothing but throws. All this stuff helps.

Also, know this Marvel GAF: today I got a ground throw on XF3 Strider with an assistless Dormammu. The stuff of legends!

Edit: FYI, that Firebrand move does not cross up. It hits like Gamma Charge, and it is unsafe on block.

Well, I mean the stuff I do with Dante isn't really advanced, nor is the Jill stuff. It's just how I use it in situations is where I've gone wrong. I've never felt like anything was too complicated, I'd just keep working until I figured it out. So, I don't think it's a hard team, I'm just doing things wrong.

I don't think I want to main Wolverine though, Swiss Cheese gets on my nerves (when I'm trying to dash or mash a grab out) and he's so easy to play I actually find him difficult to play, though that makes no sense.

Watch the way I play compared to a lot of the people out there: cloud805 and SumBrownKid's Dante, (Non)SexualRice and Paulow3b's Jill. The way I play them is just wrong, not playing to their strengths I guess. The combos (online) will work out right the more I play online, but I never can practice them because I never open people up and get bodied when I'm dealing with a moving target instead of a bot.

A friend told me I play my Dante too much like Vergil, and someone at the arcade agreed with that thought. Everyone box dashes with Dante, I find the motion uncomfortable and it takes too long to come out, besides most people who play Dante have the character down crazy well, to a point I don't think I'm capable of matching. There aren't many Jill players at all, so that's a unique experience for me. I have a problem with try to go to Feral Stance all the time and you can't block while doing the inputs for it and while you're actually in Feral Stance, so I always get screwed over with that. I've never really had a stable third character, I've been switching around with the third character a lot (Iron Man, Frank, Wolverine, Vergil, Wesker, Magneto) and the order of the team. Chris was the newest character I was trying.

Tomorrow, I'm just going to take a break from playing, hopefully. I'll focus on watching videos of what's successful for those top players and try to incorporate them into my play style. This is my first fighting game, really, so everything I'm doing is all new to me. It's just disheartening to think I started playing the game with a group of friends in summer 2012, and they've gone on to be people like First Lords and their pretty good. Admittedly, they played every day to get there, and I can only play on Saturdays though.

Ok, I'll try it when I play again. I may go look up some of the stuff FChamp does and try blocking those.

I stopped.... because I didn't want to deal with it. It seemed like an invincible moved and I was already super frustrated at the game up to that point. In hindsight I should've done his super and DHC'd into Machine Gun Spray.

Oh jeez....I didn't know this was your first fighting game. That's.....rough. The barrier of entry is just ridiculous. I'd say it's one of the top 5 hardest games to try to get into this late. Not impossible though, because the game is casual friendly....in a way.

The stuff with Jill and Dante, regardless of the fact that you don't think it's advanced, is probably a lot more difficult than ANYTHING you're gonna be doing with Wolverine.

I understand the fact that you can do it, and that execution wise it may not be hard for you to do, but like you said yourself, you're probably doing things wrong. And in my opinion they just aren't the characters to figure it out with.

I'm not saying to main Wolverine forever, just for a while. When I started out I was absolute dogshit at this game, and I so badly wanted to play Magneto since I played him in MvC2. But it just wouldn't happen at first because the mechanics of the game were just bogus to me (they still are). So for about a month or maybe a little more I played Spencer/Ryu/Akuma exclusively. Not really characters I care for, and Ryu and Akuma I barely play at all now, but they were fairly easy to play and did good easy damage. They had good DHC's and it was just an all around solid beginner team. Afterward I moved on and started to pick characters I wanted to play BACKED by one or two of the 3 characters I started out with. So I would do something like Magneto/Ryu/Akuma or Magneto/Chris/Akuma. I was able to slowly form a team by doing this. I still use this tactic today when I want to learn a new character. When I decided to pick up Spidey a month or so ago I just stuck him on a team with Dante and Strider, and I got comfortable and now he has his own team (Spidey/Shuma/Dante)

With Jill you just need to cover your Feral Stances better. You saw my Jill....I don't know anything crazy advance with her, but I was usually able to keep her safe. Don't just Feral Stance to do it or you will probably get bopped. Whenever I play Jill, I do my basic blockstrings and at the end of the string I call my assist and go into Feral Stance and go for another mixup.

And videos are nice, but don't get overwhelmed. Don't try to take all that shit in at once. There's no way you'll remember it all.

I understand frustration, but in this game you're just gonna have to deal with bullshit. It's just what the game is. Once you're frustrated though, you should probably stop, as you will likely continue to lose. In my opinion, psychology is one of the biggest parts of a fighting game. Once you're in someones head, it's over for them.

One step at a time. Really really consider the Wolverine team.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95679226]I play against the AI a lot and they ground throw magneto tridashes every time. Infuriating.[/QUOTE]
I like playing against the AI to get the button flow of a new character down without stress. Nothing else, though.

Also, I disagree with Mango. Play what you love, always. Alt teams can help you learn your main, but don't learn with someone you don't want to use.

I like playing against the AI to get the button flow of a new character down without stress. Nothing else, though.

Also, I disagree with Mango. Play what you love, always. Alt teams can help you learn your main, but don't learn with someone you don't want to use.
Just trying to relieve his stress. It's a rough road playing Jill, especially since this is his first fighting game. I don't want him to give up Jill, not at all. Just take a break from her.

This is the process I go through whenever I play a new fighting game. Kinda how I make it easy on myself. Gonna mention some SF4 stuff here.

Play the character I want to play (Chris;Abel)
Play a character that clicks with me (Spencer; Rufus)
Play the best/easiest character (Wolverine/Spencer; Sagat)

This has always worked out well for me.

I dunno.

I really think a brief switch would help though

FSLink

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95679226]I play against the AI a lot and they ground throw magneto tridashes every time. Infuriating.[/QUOTE]

I always set the AI to Very Easy/Easy because of this, because I just need a dummy who moves around a bit but lets me practice combos.

And while I agree that picking your favorites is the best in the long run, there isn't anything wrong with picking the easy/top tier characters at least from a learning perspective. Helps you gain a sense of mechanics, and makes you realize what bullshit those characters have and how to approach them better. For example, learning how to play XF3 Vergil well makes me fight crappy Vergils who use XF badly much better (to an extent, can't do much against YOLO rapid slash)

Vice

Try learning one of the more difficult characters at a time and stick them with simple characters like Taskmaster or Akuma. As you get better with on character swap them out for someone more difficult.

Ghazi

Just got home and read everyone's responses, thanks guys.

Also, a big problem Ghaz has is switching between stick on 360 and pad on PS3. That has to impede his learning.
I don't play online very often nowadays on the 360 either, I'm considering when I get a DualShock 4 also using that for Marvel on the PS3. I've tried the controller at a Best Buy before and it feels really good, much better than the PS3, I don't like PS3 D-Pad because of the edges, my thumb falls off it all the time, because I'm used to the D-Pad on the SFxTekken FightPad. Another thing is, I'm still pretty bad with my stick, I tried my SFxTekken pad real quick last night after streaming and I was immediately doing better. Plinking and wavedashing was coming out right, MUCH less execution errors and I pretty much got every combo I tried, it felt like a better experience. I see the stick being much more useful in Street Fighter (since it's on a 6 button attack system) in comparison to Marvel which is just 4 with the attacks being differentiated by standing or crouching.

I don't know if I'm maybe playing a bad control scheme on stick, but it feels like the controls are much tighter on pad. I've got assists and dash on the bumpers on pad, while I have assists on stick on the furthest right buttons which pretty much requires me to move my hand if I want to reach them. My dash button for plink dashing is beside S, so when I plink I have to move my whole hand a button down the right to plink, which is bad.

Until/if I get mine dual modded, I'll probably have to stick to the DS3/4

Try learning one of the more difficult characters at a time and stick them with simple characters like Taskmaster or Akuma. As you get better with on character swap them out for someone more difficult.
Well, for a long time I did play Wolverine/Jill/Vergil at the arcade. That would probably explain why I can actually do pretty good with Jill, offline. I've been doing Dante stuff since I got the game, but aside from bold cancel combos (that I can do 99% of the time offline), that's all I really can do with him.

Magneto was the hardest character I've played, in recent memory. But, it was all execution stuff and his movement speed is ridiculous (in a good way). I was getting across full screen extremely fast and doing well with him, I like him a lot, but I still need to learn a lot with him. I may consider switching between him and Chris on point from time to time.

Oh jeez....I didn't know this was your first fighting game. That's.....rough. The barrier of entry is just ridiculous. I'd say it's one of the top 5 hardest games to try to get into this late. Not impossible though, because the game is casual friendly....in a way.
Don't worry about it haha. Playing this game, regardless of the bs, has been a huge lesson in humility, patience, and work ethic for me. So, even if I never get good at it I'm happy I played it instead of sticking to garbage FPS games.

With Jill you just need to cover your Feral Stances better. You saw my Jill....I don't know anything crazy advance with her, but I was usually able to keep her safe. Don't just Feral Stance to do it or you will probably get bopped. Whenever I play Jill, I do my basic blockstrings and at the end of the string I call my assist and go into Feral Stance and go for another mixup.
Yeah, I really do need to. If I played her without her Feral Stance at all, until getting into combos or safe mix up game I would do much better.

Just trying to relieve his stress. It's a rough road playing Jill, especially since this is his first fighting game. I don't want him to give up Jill, not at all. Just take a break from her.

This is the process I go through whenever I play a new fighting game. Kinda how I make it easy on myself. Gonna mention some SF4 stuff here.

Play the character I want to play (Chris;Abel)
Play a character that clicks with me (Spencer; Rufus)
Play the best/easiest character (Wolverine/Spencer; Sagat)

This has always worked out well for me.

I dunno.

I really think a brief switch would help though
I bought SF4 last summer, haven't played it much but I'd like to main Chun-Li, not sure how good she is tier wise, though I know she's getting buffed in Ultra so that means she can't be super good. I was trying Sakura when I first got the game though, I really like rushdown characters in fighters.

Well, I mean when I first got Marvel I wanted to play Ammy, X-23, and Vergil....... so what I like has changed a lot since then obviously. Watching Yipes made me want to play Dante, watching Alukard made me want to play Iron Man, it's mostly been just watching people I like play their characters and their characters looking interesting that gets me into them. A counterexample to that is how I like FChamp, but I don't really want to play Doom, Phoenix, or Dorm even though I really like watching their play. I bought Jill on a whim one day because I like Resident Evil, and when I was trying her out I just decided I especially liked her unique play style and mix up game, I really want to get good at that mix up game.

One thing is, I never play against AI and, like I've said, I rarely play online or versus (only at the arcade)... I'm usually in training against an immobile dummy unless I've programmed him to do something.

JeTmAn81

I know, I know, but it's doubly worse for me when I'm playing. I have straight up bad luck.

Streaming again: http://www.twitch.tv/ghazzarro

Is there supposed to be something fair in Nemesis's command grabs? Jesus.

Um, LOL @ the first match of your most recent video. Starting off with three raw tags, huh? Let me guess, the first time you were trying to call Jam Session but accidentally tagged, then you tried to tag Wolverine but accidentally hit the Jill button, and then you finally got Wolverine back in.

Ghazi

Um, LOL @ the first match of your most recent video. Starting off with three raw tags, huh? Let me guess, the first time you were trying to call Jam Session but accidentally tagged, then you tried to tag Wolverine but accidentally hit the Jill button, and then you finally got Wolverine back in.

Yeah, it was because my assist buttons were set wrong. I'm also still unused to how long you have to hold the button to get the assist out. Takes way too short time to cause a raw tag with a stick's buttons in comparison to the pad bumpers. Somehow I also forgot that Wolverine's OTG move was down forward M not H, so you'll see me do a lot of crouching Hs at the end of combos with him, like I said I haven't trained with him since summer lol.

It gets worse... much worse.

C'mon DJ how about a set?

Sure, I'll get on now.

Zissou

GGs Zissou

Sorry for team switching, I really can't sit there and play one team for that long.

GGs. No worries about the team switching. I needed a break from Task+missiles anyway- that match makes me want to pull my hair out, haha. You bodied me pretty badly- people on American psn are definitely a big step above Japan. I was starting to pick on some of your habits as we went on, like after being forced to block something going for rapid fire cr.L, but I couldn't really figure out what to do to punish, especially with Dante's slow-ass normals. Also, impact palm/throw option select with Strange was ridiculous- I can't even count how many times I got hit by palm. I really have no idea what to do against point Strange+missiles regardless. I was relieved when you finally switched to a non-hidden missiles team at the end, but by then I was kind of mind-fucked. I have some training mode homework to do.

I set the AI to the highest and try to win several games straight with just Mag Blasts and soul fists chip which helps my movement a lot.

GGs. No worries about the team switching. I needed a break from Task+missiles anyway- that match makes me want to pull my hair out, haha. You bodied me pretty badly- people on American psn are definitely a big step above Japan. I was starting to pick on some of your habits as we went on, like after being forced to block something going for rapid fire cr.L, but I couldn't really figure out what to do to punish, especially with Dante's slow-ass normals. Also, impact palm/throw option select with Strange was ridiculous- I can't even count how many times I got hit by palm. I really have no idea what to do against point Strange+missiles regardless. I was relieved when you finally switched to a non-hidden missiles team at the end, but by then I was kind of mind-fucked. I have some training mode homework to do.
Shit, trying to play against your Doom with Spidey was a real test of patience. Quite the rough matchup. I don't know how I would've fared without that Shuma assist.

Zissou

Shit, trying to play against your Doom with Spidey was a real test of patience. Quite the rough matchup. I don't know how I would've fared without that Shuma assist.

I have to be wary of web throw in that match-up, since it can pull me out of finger laser start-up/footdive/etc., but yeah, I think it's hard for Spidey. I get to fill the screen with stuff while calling vajra or jam session and you have to deal with it. Shuma is great at clearing the screen though.

onionfrog

Good Games Slasher!
My Doom is ASS!.I was dropping everything with him.
Even corner combos wtf

Random select matches were fun tonight. We both clearly don't use wolverine.
You have the greatest dark phoenix in the history of random select matches lol!

Oh, I sent him one earlier. We're playing now!

GGs Slasher.

Only like 2 of all my intended grabs went through :/

GG's DJ Ghazi. OH my god I feel your pain with the command grabs. For some reason I can nail them pretty well with Hulk but I have the most difficult time doing with Wesker. I guess I'm just not fast enough button dashing + command throw to pull off fast mix ups. Everytime I try with Wesker I just get smacked. It's to the point where I don't even think to use it anymore with him and that is such as stupid habit because his command throws are like the best in the game.

Good Games Slasher!
My Doom is ASS.I was dropping everything with him.

You have the greatest dark phoenix in the history of random select matches lol!

Pfffff my random DP don't have nothing on my today only Chun Li.

Also I didn't think your Doom as that bad. You seemed to move pretty well with him and I would think that's his biggest hurdle for new commers. Your not doing optimal Doom combo's but like you said, day one doom.

onionfrog

Also I didn't think your Doom as that bad. You seemed to move pretty well with him and I would think that's his biggest hurdle for new commers. Your not doing optimal Doom combo's but like you said, day one doom.
True. I'm gonna try to grind out some stuff with Doom right now.
I'll tell you something though, Plasma Beam assist is fucking godlike compared to triple arrows.

I bought SF4 last summer, haven't played it much but I'd like to main Chun-Li, not sure how good she is tier wise, though I know she's getting buffed in Ultra so that means she can't be super good. I was trying Sakura when I first got the game though, I really like rushdown characters in fighters.
Ghazi, let me know if you ever feel like playing street fighter 4, I'm pretty bad at it too bro.

Ghazi

Ghazi, let me know if you ever feel like playing street fighter 4, I'm pretty bad at it too bro.
I should've mentioned I got it on 360, I'm going to get Ultra on 360 as well, but if I can scrape up some money around that time period I'll probably get it for PS3. I'll be pretty broke for a while though, with Final Fantasy X HD, Bravely Default, Dark Souls 2, and TitanFall all coming out around the March time period.
GG's DJ Ghazi. OH my god I feel your pain with the command grabs. For some reason I can nail them pretty well with Hulk but I have the most difficult time doing with Wesker. I guess I'm just not fast enough button dashing + command throw to pull off fast mix ups. Everytime I try with Wesker I just get smacked. It's to the point where I don't even think to use it anymore with him and that is such as stupid habit because his command throws are like the best in the game.

Well, literally every time I attempted to get a grab I got bodied for it because a normal heavy or forward heavy (in Jill and Dante's case) came out. Meanwhile, you're grabbing me while I'm doing blockstrings on you, in the air (I swear I was trying to tech those), and on the ground all the time. I had fun, but come on you saw how many Hs I got when I was obviously trying to throw. It's a mechanic that doesn't work for me, but it's an important so... wat?

Aside from that I had fun, I learned to despise that dog assist from P. Wright and by the end of our set I was just backing away from you when you were doing shield with phoenix. It also annoys me how they made the incoming animations for Maya running in the same? Like, how are you supposed to know if she's coming in for shield or to hit you, plus she's an independent entity and you can't punish it. So, like everytime you threw a move with Maya out I was unsure what she was going to do, it was more annoying than frustrating. This was my first time fighting a Phoenix Wright though and I didn't know wtf to do, and you justly got Turnabout Mode literally withing 30 seconds almost every match.

And to think someone told me it was easy to keep Phoenix from getting Turnabout lol. Why don't more people play Wright?

onionfrog

I should've mentioned I got it on 360, I'm going to get Ultra on 360 as well, but if I can scrape up some money around that time period I'll probably get it for PS3. I'll be pretty broke for a while though, with Final Fantasy X HD, Bravely Default, Dark Souls 2, and TitanFall all coming out around the March time period.
Oh yeah, I don't blame you.
I'm going to try to work through my PS3 backlog before I buy anything else.
But I usually just end up playing fighting games instead lol.
I still have an untouched copy of Kingdom Hearts HD to play.

And to think someone told me it was easy to keep Phoenix from getting Turnabout lol. Why don't more people play Wright?
Wright folds hard against competent keepaway.
Something like Hawkeye + Beam Assist just tears through the maya shield.
Once he gets going with turnabout mode tho, ooh boy!

I do much better with rushdown against slasher when I've got a point character with a good command grab.

Top Bottom