• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Ghazi

No, you are both just new to the game and would make good opponents. I like seeing new players face off.

You mean you like seeing new players flail around, panicking, and not knowing what to do?
1378725830954.png

My earlier post was an attempt at humor

I actually don't like to watch it. I was using a more abstract form of "see".

But when newbies face off, it is good for them. Just like playing newbies with my real team is harmful, so I play point Dormammu to keep me in my toes. I played point Phoenix in Vanilla because it taught me so much.

Ghazi

I'll never understand these face things that are posted all the time in streams. I guess it's a FGC thing.
The Twitch emotes? I don't understand the hype about them either, I just know they're popular in the FGC. And I hapen to enjoy both FrankerZ and Kappa, however.
I could play some on PSN.
I wouldn't mind getting some more practice with my Dr. Doom.
Sure, let me see if I can still get on now.

onionfrog

The Twitch emotes? I don't understand the hype about them either, I just know they're popular in the FGC. And I hapen to enjoy both FrankerZ and Kappa, however.

Sure, let me see if I can still get on now.
Gonna play God's Beard right now.
We can make a 3 man lobby if you can get on PSN

Ghazi

Gonna play God's Beard right now.
We can make a 3 man lobby if you can get on PSN

Sure. Let's make a lobby, invite me. I'll stream it as well, if both you and GB are alright with that.

If anyone wants to watch, the stream is here.

Me, Slasher, Onion, and God's Beard are in it!

shaowebb

I think I'm gonna run IronFist/Dante/Arthur for a bit. I really want to use Iron Fist second, but I'm gonna have to play him on point for a while because I won't be able to learn anything with him if I play him second.

It can work pretty well, just remember to not try and jump in on stuff. His dash up M is retarded good and no matter how often folks see it they never seem to learn to respect it enough. Fast and dangerous. Arthur should let you ride in pretty easily to close gaps and if they start super jumping or porting out Dante Jam Session should help once you start baiting them into it. Iron Fist is better on this team second, but I think you're high enough in experience with this game's footsies to do good like this to learn the character. Definitely roll him into second once you got him down though. His assist and DHC into corner traps will be awesome. Plus Dante should build a fine amount of meter for both Iron Fist and Dark Arthur to utilize. Iron Fist tends to meter whore by spending 2 bars to end most combos at max damage since he can fist of fury into normal into dragon fire.

Have fun with this. Standing M is your best opener here and dont forget that even though you may lose crumple if you do his crescent heel to open them up it works with Arthur backing you. You can use his daggers to extend your combo long enough to get out the rekkas to use wall of kun lun to replace the launcher portion of your combo thats lost from the bounce crescent heel causes. Its not as strong as crumple combos, but if they are learning to block your pressure you need to mix it up by chucking that overhead in there.

Can't wait to hear your tales of discovering how retarded it feels to gold armor zone with Iron Fist assist to back you.

onionfrog

I usually get to level 5 off the one DHC, it messed up this time. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with this team, very easy and reliable to play, Dante is still the weakest on the team though.
He's easily worth it for the team synergy.
-Easy double snapshot enders with Jam Session.
-Can also level up frank with frank/dante THC.
-Level 4 Frank back by Jam Session is godlike.

Ghazi

He's easily worth it for the team synergy.
-Easy double snapshot enders with Jam Session.
-Can also level up frank with frank/dante THC.
-Level 4 Frank back by Jam Session is godlike.

Jam Session + mashing Barrel Roll has to be one of the stupidest thing I've ever seen and done lol.

onionfrog

Good Games Everybody!
My connection screwed up, but I gotta go anyways. Need to get up early tomorrow for work. :/

lol @ that God's Beard Hawkeye team counter pick against Slasher.

Jam Session + mashing Barrel Roll has to be one of the stupidest thing I've ever seen and done lol.
Yeah it is!

Marz

What's wrong with Magneto/Storm/Doom? I've played that and it seemed to work out quite well. I played with Doom rocks though. I imagine it would work out well with Missiles too....assuming that's what you were using.

I've used Ammy, Akuma, Strange, and Iron Man with them too. All worked out well. Raccoon might, but I've never tried that.

Storm>Doom DHC sucks, Storm has trouble confirming in the air off missiles, once Mags dies the team kind of falls apart etc.

I dunno just doesn't really have anything cheap to the team and in this game you need some cheap to win.

Storm>Doom DHC sucks, Storm has trouble confirming in the air off missiles, once Mags dies the team kind of falls apart etc.

I dunno just doesn't really have anything cheap to the team and in this game you need some cheap to win.
How is Mag. Shockwave to Ice Storm not cheap enough?!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";96026206]Fuck Morrigan's fireball fly cancel dash input overlap.

I'm done for tonight.[/QUOTE]
You mean accidental level 3s? Yeah, fuck those. Sometimes I play Morrigan dumb just to make sure I don't mess up Dark Phoenix.

Also, did you really counterpick Phoenix Wright?

You mean accidental level 3s? Yeah, fuck those. Sometimes I play Morrigan dumb just to make sure I don't mess up Dark Phoenix.

Also, did you really counterpick Phoenix Wright?

Actually I went full Yipes and matched teams to players.

Hawkeye/Vergil/Magneto against Slasher so I wouldn't have to deal with Maya and Hulk
Magneto/Morrigan/Phoenix
against Ghazi because he plays super grounded and he's still learning when to use x-factor properly
Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix against Onionfrog because I can't fight vajra online with plinks.

Worked out pretty well except for execution issues with morrigan or online in general.

Marz

How is Mag. Shockwave to Ice Storm not cheap enough?!

I mean its good but then you have to burn x factor to kill the assist and probably have to use another hail storm so that's 3 meters gone and x factor popped prematurely in a game where most people have a dark anchor on deck.

It can work pretty well, just remember to not try and jump in on stuff. His dash up M is retarded good and no matter how often folks see it they never seem to learn to respect it enough. Fast and dangerous. Arthur should let you ride in pretty easily to close gaps and if they start super jumping or porting out Dante Jam Session should help once you start baiting them into it. Iron Fist is better on this team second, but I think you're high enough in experience with this game's footsies to do good like this to learn the character. Definitely roll him into second once you got him down though. His assist and DHC into corner traps will be awesome. Plus Dante should build a fine amount of meter for both Iron Fist and Dark Arthur to utilize. Iron Fist tends to meter whore by spending 2 bars to end most combos at max damage since he can fist of fury into normal into dragon fire.

Have fun with this. Standing M is your best opener here and dont forget that even though you may lose crumple if you do his crescent heel to open them up it works with Arthur backing you. You can use his daggers to extend your combo long enough to get out the rekkas to use wall of kun lun to replace the launcher portion of your combo thats lost from the bounce crescent heel causes. Its not as strong as crumple combos, but if they are learning to block your pressure you need to mix it up by chucking that overhead in there.

Can't wait to hear your tales of discovering how retarded it feels to gold armor zone with Iron Fist assist to back you.
This was just the first day and it's been a blast. Thanks for that Iron Fist/Arthur info. I think the most fun thing I've discovered so far is being able to call Arthur assist and get out a Rising Fang fast enough for it to be covered by the daggers. It has been fun trolling people with that. I don't know what the fastest path to Rising Fang is though. I've been using Dragon Tail > Lotus Whip > Rising Fang. I think Dragon's Touch > Dragon Tail might be faster though.....but I can't really tell. It's fun though because it lets me get in while attacking, and depending on screen position it will cross up at times, and then I can follow with Jam Session shenanigans.

Good shit man. Thanks.

I mean its good but then you have to burn x factor to kill the assist and probably have to use another hail storm so that's 3 meters gone and x factor popped prematurely in a game where most people have a dark anchor on deck.
Nah man just use Hail Storm again. Don't waste the xf. There's not a whole lot of characters that will be able to stop you from using Hail Storm again as long as you do it as soon as your last one finished. They should be all the way across the screen from having to block/getting hit by Shockwave and Hail Storm.

Haha, well you kinda have to know what you're getting into with Storm. Justin Wong is one of the best players in the world and he struggles with using Storm. Yeah once your point character dies it gets really rough and you have to play very patient.

If you're midscreen the best dhc you're probably gonna get is Elemental Rage to Sphere Flame.

If you land an air grab then you can tag Doom in and combo off of it, that's a plus

Try out Doom's rocks though. I abandoned Missiles a long time ago unless I'm using Dorm or Morrigan.

I think the Magnetic Shockwave to Hail Storm dhc is well worth it.......but this is coming from a guy that plays some extremely wacky teams (with success though!). I think I only have one "cheap" team.

Ghazi

From last night, I find it really funny that Nova can do this:

i3lTWBCb5eWmb.gif

Hitboxes lol

You can even see me sit there for a moment debating on whether I should try it haha, I wasn't sure it'd work.

Woah, the Dante/Nova synergy in this vid!

This super ambiguous cross up lol, Magneto was still facing the opposite direction too:
ibtPX3p5TS5Oa.gif

Ghazi

Yep didn't I say the other day to practice Nova B&B's from mid screen starting with C.M. Still crazy though.

Yeah, I have! I just didn't know it'd slide under Chris's Flamethrower. I've been using his cr. M to get in a lot! I've been learning some cross ups and safe blockstrings to do. I'll probably watch Moons and Marvelo to see some Nova action today as well.

GGs DJ Ghazi. Nova/Frank/Dante team is coming along very nicely, especially considering you just picked them up.

Some constructive criticism for your benefit though. I don't understand the Wolverine and Jill team. If you just play these pair just because you like them, then by all means. What I don't understand is what Jill really does for this team. She doesn't really benefit Wolverine all that much and you seem to use Jill's drill kick assist like it's some kinda of projectile to help wolverine get in but it doesn't really work like that. Speaking of Wolverine, you dive kick WAY too much with him. Don't get me wrong it's one of his best tools, and you can spam it a lot if you back it by a beam but you don't have one. Plus naked dive kicks are easily punished. Super easy throw bait. As for Dante I can't really give good advice on him but I know one thing you should be doing that I didn't see you really do is approach with air dash H. It's probably his best neutral and good for crossing up. Use it just like you use Nova's.

onionfrog

I'm really digging the synergy between Dr. Doom and Hsienko.
Doom/Hsienko/Arthur is a fun side team!

Some constructive criticism for your benefit though. I don't understand the Wolverine and Jill team.
I agree with Slasher, I don't get that team either Ghazi.

I'd recommend splitting them up into one point Jill team and one point wolverine team.

...And you really do want a strong horizontal assist(beam or otherwise) backing wolverine.

I don't have a good recommendation for a Jill team, but a simple team for Wolvie would probably be good.

Perhaps something like:
Wolverine/Akuma/Vergil?
With Tatsu assist of course.

I'll play a Jill team next time we play. My Jill combos are pretty bad compared to yours but maybe I can spark some ideas in terms of team construction for her.

I'm really digging the synergy between Dr. Doom and Hsienko.
Doom/Hsienko/Arthur is a fun side team!

God that team sounds really annoying to fight. Gold Armor HK and Armored Arthur fuck that.

I don't have a good recommendation for a Jill team, but a simple team for Wolvie would probably be good.

I'm going to throw out a really unorthdox Jill team cause I think in theory it could be good.

Jill/Joe/Doom

I know Jill can get a couple of good resets with's Joe's bomb assist and there is some pretty good DHC synergy from them. Plus Doom with either rocks or beam can really help Jill and Joe get in and stop some of the keep away game.

Also while I think of it, I wonder how Jill and Hulk would do. I wonder if you can do a Jill B&B into the kick super then DHC into gamma crush for some good damage for Jill. Plus I'm sure Hulk anti air would help Jill cover her defense and stance moves. Or maybe gamma wave assist could be a good OTG for her. Hmmm. I don't know just talking out loud here.

Hi UMVC3 Gaf.

I've played and followed both versions of MVC3 since they launched, but only very casually/with no regard to team synergy and whatnot. However recently I've been trying to learn it to a decent level, and I'm just having trouble figuring out where to start. I've read Karsticles' team building guide a while back, which was a great help, but where I'm at I don't feel comfortable and kinda feel overwhelmed with some of the more technical and higher tiered characters, like Dante, Magneto, and Doom for example- although I did practice some simple combos with him and I'm fine with doing that tri-dash (is that the right term?) that he has.

I'm just struggling to find a main team of characters that I like playing that would work together. It doesn't need to be the best team in the game or anything, and I'd welcome some more left field ideas, but I just want to find a team that works. Since launch I've used Trish (Peekaboo)/Taskmaster (Parabolic)/Arthur (Daggers) or some combination of those 3 characters, and it's a team that I like, and would ideally like to use as my main team, but I just can't get them to feel in sync with one another, bar doing stuff like Trish's Round Harvest into Taskmaster's unblockable special attack.

So, to sum it up, I'm alright-ish at playing the game as 3 solo characters, want to make a team, curious if Trish/Taskmaster/Arthur is viable at all.

Trish/Taskmaster/Arthur doesn't sound that bad. Although with those three characters I think I would run Taskmaster/Trish/Arthur. I don't have any advice specifically about those characters but we are always here to help you. I understand the notion of wanting to play the characters you like as it's my principle as well.

Hi UMVC3 Gaf.

I've played and followed both versions of MVC3 since they launched, but only very casually/with no regard to team synergy and whatnot. However recently I've been trying to learn it to a decent level, and I'm just having trouble figuring out where to start. I've read Karsticles' team building guide a while back, which was a great help, but where I'm at I don't feel comfortable and kinda feel overwhelmed with some of the more technical and higher tiered characters, like Dante, Magneto, and Doom for example- although I did practice some simple combos with him and I'm fine with doing that tri-dash (is that the right term?) that he has.

I'm just struggling to find a main team of characters that I like playing that would work together. It doesn't need to be the best team in the game or anything, and I'd welcome some more left field ideas, but I just want to find a team that works. Since launch I've used Trish (Peekaboo)/Taskmaster (Parabolic)/Arthur (Daggers) or some combination of those 3 characters, and it's a team that I like, and would ideally like to use as my main team, but I just can't get them to feel in sync with one another, bar doing stuff like Trish's Round Harvest into Taskmaster's unblockable special attack.

So, to sum it up, I'm alright-ish at playing the game as 3 solo characters, want to make a team, curious if Trish/Taskmaster/Arthur is viable at all.

I'll try it out later and give my thoughts, but it doesn't seem too bad from what I'm thinking in my head. And Arthur can be a great anchor if you've caused your opponent to already use his x factor.

Seems like you should be doing a lot of zoning with Trish and Task. Arthur too since you could easily get him in through a dhc to Gold Armor and have them locked down with round harvest and parabolic shot.

onionfrog

God that team sounds really annoying to fight. Gold Armor HK and Armored Arthur fuck that.
Yeah it's pretty fun.
I love it when Doom dies and the opponent forgets that Hsienko is armored!

Hsienko backed by Plasma Beam is good too.

Hsienko/Arthur Synergy is good too. If only Hsienko's movement was faster. She really struggles in some cases. Her air dash is pathetically slow.
I'm going to throw out a really unorthdox Jill team cause I think in theory it could be good.

Jill/Joe/Doom

I know Jill can get a couple of good resets with's Joe's bomb assist and there is some pretty good DHC synergy from them. Plus Doom with either rocks or beam can really help Jill and Joe get in and stop some of the keep away game.
Seems solid. I probably wouldn't try it since I can't really play Joe too well.

Also while I think of it, I wonder how Jill and Hulk would do. I wonder if you can do a Jill B&B into the kick super then DHC into gamma crush for some good damage for Jill. Plus I'm sure Hulk anti air would help Jill cover her defense and stance moves. Or maybe gamma wave assist could be a good OTG for her. Hmmm. I don't know just talking out loud here.
Yeah I think you could get decent damage DHCing into Gamma Crush.
I wonder if a Jill/Hulk Gamma Crush THC would actually connect. I think it'd be damaging if it does work.

Ghazi

GGs DJ Ghazi. Nova/Frank/Dante team is coming along very nicely, especially considering you just picked them up.

Some constructive criticism for your benefit though. I don't understand the Wolverine and Jill team. If you just play these pair just because you like them, then by all means. What I don't understand is what Jill really does for this team. She doesn't really benefit Wolverine all that much and you seem to use Jill's drill kick assist like it's some kinda of projectile to help wolverine get in but it doesn't really work like that. Speaking of Wolverine, you dive kick WAY too much with him. Don't get me wrong it's one of his best tools, and you can spam it a lot if you back it by a beam but you don't have one. Plus naked dive kicks are easily punished. Super easy throw bait. As for Dante I can't really give good advice on him but I know one thing you should be doing that I didn't see you really do is approach with air dash H. It's probably his best neutral and good for crossing up. Use it just like you use Nova's.
GGs!

The team isn't really thought through , Jill should be on point but that makes no sense with Wolverine on the team, but I wanted to play Jill. I dive kick everytime I'm in the air and I jump a lot just to dive kick, I don't know I just play Wolverine when I want to mash out wins.

Jill/Frank/Strider or Jill/Iron Man/Strider is still the best Jill team I've ever used. But, I stopped playing them even though I was decent with the team. I'm really tired of Jill now, I've been playing her close to since I got the game and she's been pretty much useless to me. I've done better than I ever have with Jill with the team I'm playing now, that's how bad I was with Jill.

If anyone wants to play, let me know because this is the last night I'll be able to play for a while. E: Scratch that, school's out tomorrow too woohoo

It's my face.
Neogaf real pic January:
thread

What's the story with your face!?!?!
:p

I'll try it out later and give my thoughts, but it doesn't seem too bad from what I'm thinking in my head. And Arthur can be a great anchor if you've caused your opponent to already use his x factor.

Seems like you should be doing a lot of zoning with Trish and Task. Arthur too since you could easily get him in through a dhc to Gold Armor and have them locked down with round harvest and parabolic shot.

Thanks.
I've been using the team as a zoning team; the fact that most of their move lists were filled with projectiles was a reason I ended up sticking with them. I normally give Trish the air trap assist because I never really use her outside of point, and when I first played the game I used to try swapping out after killing someone, throwing the trap assist and attempting
failing
to cross them up.
My only main concern with the team, and I don't even know if it should be a concern considering I prefer to play a zoning game, is that I have no OTG assists, and aside from Arthur I don't think the other characters can OTG that well on their own. I know Trish just has Maximum Voltage and Taskmaster's OTG aerial arrows seems to only lead into the Hyper aerial arrows, although I'm guessing I can do trickier things with that.

onionfrog

Thanks.
I've been using the team as a zoning team; the fact that most of their move lists were filled with projectiles was a reason I ended up sticking with them. I normally give Trish the air trap assist because I never really use her outside of point, and when I first played the game I used to try swapping out after killing someone, throwing the trap assist and attempting
failing
to cross them up.
My only main concern with the team, and I don't even know if it should be a concern considering I prefer to play a zoning game, is that I have no OTG assists, and aside from Arthur I don't think the other characters can OTG that well on their own. I know Trish just has Maximum Voltage and Taskmaster's OTG aerial arrows seems to only lead into the Hyper aerial arrows, although I'm guessing I can do trickier things with that.
As taskmaster, you should be able to call Arthur's Daggers assist, then jump and OTG arrows and relaunch.

Top Bottom