• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Log Trap kinda applies. I mean not full screen but still pretty good.

Make no mistake, I too think Dark Matter would be an excellent assist but this goes back to my point in previous discussions that it's better to improve a current assist than replacing it entirely.

Also when do we start doing committee work? I don't know what I am supposed to be doing right now.
Here's the current schedule I'd like for us to have:
This week until Saturday: open discussion; anything that anyone wants to talk about can be brought up. Every committee member should look through the entire change log and bring up concerns.
Saturday or Sunday: we set aside a period of time (1-2 hours) and cement the changelog.
Next week: I do the writeup.
That weekend: Send the changes out to the world.

You dolts got me to hook up my 360 and monitor just to make sure I could re-confirm something I was already positive of in the first place. Yes, the height is random, and there's some pretty significant variance on it. Just mash that H button and see for yourself.

WTF? Why is this an actual thing?

Add this to Hawkguy changes plz. And here I thought he was perfect.

How important is the Hawkeye change when only 1/5 Hawkeye mains here even knew it existed?

And you guys would have to give something up:

Hawkeye:
*Gimlet hitstun increased; it is now always safe on hit.
*Trick Shot (Violent Fuzz) assist startup time reduced to 37 frames.
*f.M special cancelable; no longer hits OTG.
*Hawkeye now has enough time to OTG opponents after Tag Team Special.
*c.M now always connects after c.L.
*Ragtime Shot (Jack Rose) can now be influenced in its trajectory by holding forward or back after firing it; c.H arrows detonate the bomb early.
*j.S is now hyper cancelable.
*Hawkeye may now block during the active frames of Trick Maneuver.
*Hawkeye can now wall jump.
*Ice Breaker M now causes a ground bounce on airborne opponents.

Assists: Quick Shot (Greyhound), Trick Shot (Violet Fuzz), Ragtime Shot (Balalaika)

FSLink

Banned

I'd give that up, I'd rather have Happy Birthday combos. With better assists in the game, there's more things to cover Hawkeye's weak points anyway aside from missiles.

Frantic

Why not just make f.M be special cancelable with the OTG property intact? I can't think he'd have any sort of infinites if it still OTGs.

Frantic

Maybe remove the walljump? That might require new animation, since every character with a wall jump has their own unique animation, and none of them really matchup with holding a bow.

Also, the Ice Breaker M... is that the Trick Maneuver M > Ice Breaker?

Maybe remove the walljump? That might require new animation, since every character with a wall jump has their own unique animation, and none of them really matchup with holding a bow.

Also, the Ice Breaker M... is that the Trick Maneuver M > Ice Breaker?
Touche!

Hawkeye:
*Gimlet hitstun increased; it is now always safe on hit.
*Trick Shot (Violent Fuzz) assist startup time reduced to 37 frames.
*Hawkeye now has enough time to OTG opponents after Tag Team Special.
*c.M now always connects after c.L.
*Ragtime Shot (Jack Rose) can now be influenced in its trajectory by holding forward or back after firing it; c.H arrows detonate the bomb early.
*j.S is now hyper cancelable.
*Hawkeye may now block during the active frames of Trick Maneuver.
*s.H now fires at the same height every time.
*Ice Breaker M now causes a ground bounce on airborne opponents.

Assists: Quick Shot (Greyhound), Trick Shot (Violet Fuzz), Ragtime Shot (Balalaika)

Dahbomb

Alright I am going through the entire changelist that is controversial, could be changed or doesn't make a lot of sense.

TAC Changes:
Obviously controversial as they are radical. Already talked about a lot so we will talk about this again when everyone is actually present.

*X-Factor sum values changed to: XF1 – 40%; XF2 – 65%; XF3 – 80%.
The value is fine but some dip shit is going to come in and claim this is an X factor buff. Better to write down old values next to it to show the difference (40/75/100).

*Assists depart with invulnerability frames if the point character is hit before they appear on the screen.
*Assists cannot be called during recovery frames or rolls.
*Cannot call assists at super jump height after recovering.
The 3 changes that people will definitely raise concerns about. All these are big changes but we didn't put it in unless they were aspects of the game that were exploitable (ie. calling Hidden Missiles at super jump height while being reset to break said reset).

*Ground throw techs put more distance between the two teching characters.
This just needs more clarification because people are thinking that this is like SF4 or some shit. Basically enough of a difference that you aren't in throw range again but enough range that you can be hit by a cr.L if you mashing something.

*All snapbacks universalized to be 2 frames and +1 on block; attack travel speed instantaneous for all characters; active and recovery frames universalized on snapbacks
Another big change. This would actually require character specific changes because everyone has different recoveries on their snap back animations and different traveling times.

*When Gold Armor is on, the input for Gold Armor refreshes the duration; Gold Armor is now a soft knockdown on break.
Some people apparently think this is too good.

Captain America
I still feel recovery on his back flip should be improved, it's kinda high for the character to be used in anything other than assist + mix up.
Combination Punch H has one hit of armor from frames 5-12.
I don't think this is needed anymore. Getting a hard knockdown off of an armored move is a bit too good especially when it's on a character who gets TOD off of hard knockdowns.

*Optic Laser vertical hitbox decreased slightly.
Again I don't think this is a problem with the hit box, this is a problem with the active frame. This is the exact problem that presents with the Bionic Arm in that the problem isn't that the hit box is too good it's that people's legs get clipped by moves because the hurt box is extending so far out. If anything it's the active frames of the moves that linger on after the animation which result in people getting hit by the move. So if you want to nerf this then nerf the active frames... move already has a narrow hit box and whiff over short characters.

- Helm Breaker’s hitbox near the hilt reduced so that it no longer hits characters behind Dante.
This needs to be clarified because people are still asking questions about it. The animation/hit box of Dante is pulling out the sword from his back is unchanged, what is being changed is the posterior hit box during the downward descent of Dante with the Helm Breaker.

*Snapshot now -3 on hit, -15 on block.
-15 on block is still way way too good for a move with that humongous hit box. With this frame data it becomes a legitimate zoning tool.

*f.H and j.d+H do 15% chip damage; both now negate low and medium priority projectiles.
I don't think Haggar needs this on his pipe anymore now that his roll is invincible. Negations on projectile doesn't help him against zoners, it helps him against rushdown characters more as he can negate their beam assist. He already doesn't need more help against rushdown characters as he already wrecks them.

*Gamma Tornado (all versions) hitbox significantly increased; throws the opponent less far away, allowing for a Gamma Wave L + assist extension as with air throws.
The hit box increase is not needed especially now that we are buffing how Hulk can combo off of it. Considering that the move leads to huge damage it doesn't need a hit box nerf, Hulk players need to make that good read on it to get the profit you don't want to make it easier for them.

*Chi L, M, and H recovery reduced to 10; armor changed to frames 1-11; cancelable into Rekkas.
The recovery change is now redundant because it is cancelable into Rekkas.

Iron Man
*Minimum air dash height reduced to allow air dashes straight out of a grounded flight.
Still controversial and I still think this is unneeded.

*Double Knee Drop startup reduced by 10 frames across the board.
*Health increased to 950,000.
This is WAY WAY too good. This is basically now a Wolverine Dive kick going straight down that hits OVERHEAD. You can't make this knee drop too good. I would only allow 5 frame start up reduction on it.

Health should be 900K, same as X23 and Felicia.

*New Hyper: Overload; Phoenix loses all health immediately; requires 5 bars, rdp.AA.
I STILL think this should be ground only.

She-Hulk:
*Canceling Runner’s Start has 0 frames of recovery.
Needs to be able to call assists during Runner cancel.

*Storm is now able to air dash twice after jumping, without Flight.
Nah this is too good, we can't give that type of tool to a high mobility character like her. She already has absurd mix ups.

Thor Mighty Speech as an assist
Still think this is WAY too weird to even suggestion.

*Helm Breaker can no longer be canceled into non-hyper, non-special moves, and has no hitbox behind it.
This needs to be changed into Helm Breaker cannot be canceled into st.S.

*Wesker now receives his glasses buff from Phantom Dance only when it goes to completion.
Glasses mechanic is still extremely controversial but if it's voted to remain as a mechanic then this is the only good solution for it.

*Level 3 buster startup increased to 10, requires 180 charging frames, hits 9 times; projectile is now 9x1 durability.
One of these has to be changed, particularly one of the first two. That's a lot of nerfs to one move especially after he has gotten many. Zero in this patch is a point character mostly he doesn't have great assists so he needs to be good in that position.

Obviously controversial as they are radical. Already talked about a lot so we will talk about this again when everyone is actually present.
I love it, personally.

The value is fine but some dip shit is going to come in and claim this is an X factor buff. Better to write down old values next to it to show the difference (40/75/100).
Done.

The 3 changes that people will definitely raise concerns about. All these are big changes but we didn't put it in unless they were aspects of the game that were exploitable (ie. calling Hidden Missiles at super jump height while being reset to break said reset).
Right.

This just needs more clarification because people are thinking that this is like SF4 or some shit. Basically enough of a difference that you aren't in throw range again but enough range that you can be hit by a cr.L if you mashing something.
I'll clarify.

Another big change. This would actually require character specific changes because everyone has different recoveries on their snap back animations and different traveling times.
A good change.

Some people apparently think this is too good.
One Arthur player approved, another didn't. I think it's fine because you can still pressure Arthur enough that he doesn't feel safe enough to re-armor up.

I still feel recovery on his back flip should be improved, it's kinda high for the character to be used in anything other than assist + mix up.
That's the point of it, though.

I don't think this is needed anymore. Getting a hard knockdown off of an armored move is a bit too good especially when it's on a character who gets TOD off of hard knockdowns.
Removed. I never liked it.

Again I don't think this is a problem with the hit box, this is a problem with the active frame. This is the exact problem that presents with the Bionic Arm in that the problem isn't that the hit box is too good it's that people's legs get clipped by moves because the hurt box is extending so far out. If anything it's the active frames of the moves that linger on after the animation which result in people getting hit by the move. So if you want to nerf this then nerf the active frames... move already has a narrow hit box and whiff over short characters.
Talk to Frantic about it; it's his change.

This needs to be clarified because people are still asking questions about it. The animation/hit box of Dante is pulling out the sword from his back is unchanged, what is being changed is the posterior hit box during the downward descent of Dante with the Helm Breaker.
Clarified:
- Helm Breaker’s hitbox near the hilt during descent reduced so that it no longer hits characters behind Dante.

-15 on block is still way way too good for a move with that humongous hit box. With this frame data it becomes a legitimate zoning tool.
I disagree; -15 is perfect.

I don't think Haggar needs this on his pipe anymore now that his roll is invincible. Negations on projectile doesn't help him against zoners, it helps him against rushdown characters more as he can negate their beam assist. He already doesn't need more help against rushdown characters as he already wrecks them.
We can talk about projectile negation, but I'm keeping the chip. It's the only thing that guarantees people can't just turtle and pushblock the pipe all day when Haggar is not well supported. It adds a little heat to the game. It's the same logic with Sentinel and Ghost Rider.

The hit box increase is not needed especially now that we are buffing how Hulk can combo off of it. Considering that the move leads to huge damage it doesn't need a hit box nerf, Hulk players need to make that good read on it to get the profit you don't want to make it easier for them.
I like this as-is.

The recovery change is now redundant because it is cancelable into Rekkas.
Not true, as players still want to Chi up at full-screen to help them get through chip damage, etc.

Still controversial and I still think this is unneeded.
It's not controversial to anyone but you AFAIK.

This is WAY WAY too good. This is basically now a Wolverine Dive kick going straight down that hits OVERHEAD. You can't make this knee drop too good. I would only allow 5 frame start up reduction on it.
Going straight down sucks.

Health should be 900K, same as X23 and Felicia.
X-23 and Felicia have better ways of getting in than Jill. Health should correspond to the amount of difficulty the character has getting in and opening an opponent up (i.e. how much chip damage the character can be expected to take).

I STILL think this should be ground only.
If you do it in the air against, say, Frank West, because you are scared of his AA setup, he can just AA you through the activation on incoming.

Needs to be able to call assists during Runner cancel.
Added (I think).

Nah this is too good, we can't give that type of tool to a high mobility character like her. She already has absurd mix ups.
It's this or Float + assist calls. I prefer Float + assist calls since it makes her unique.

Still think this is WAY too weird to even suggestion.
:-D

This needs to be changed into Helm Breaker cannot be canceled into st.S.
Oh right.

Glasses mechanic is still extremely controversial but if it's voted to remain as a mechanic then this is the only good solution for it.
+1

One of these has to be changed, particularly one of the first two. That's a lot of nerfs to one move especially after he has gotten many. Zero in this patch is a point character mostly he doesn't have great assists so he needs to be good in that position.
You talked me down to this, remember? :p

Numerous Zero players have said they are okay with his changes. No need to be a cheerleader for him.

About to make a tier list for the new patch.
You should wait until we cement the changes...unless you intend for it to inform our thinking while we deliberate during the week.

Bizazedo

So yea the change confuses me. You would have to lower recovery way down for that to happen and I don't think that should happen. The main problem with the move is the random cross ups it can do, not that it can be made safe.

The cross ups are not random. The Nova has to know what he's doing PLUS it's easily preventable by the opponent.

Part of me just feels Karst wants to make it last slightly longer on recovery so he can Chaotic Flame it (since Nova annihilates Dormammu currently).

(Last bit was a joke).

Or was it?
It was ;)

The cross ups are not random. The Nova has to know what he's doing PLUS it's easily preventable by the opponent.

Part of me just feels Karst wants to make it last slightly longer on recovery so he can Chaotic Flame it (since Nova annihilates Dormammu currently).

(Last bit was a joke).

Or was it?
It was ;)
Hahahaha. Let me put it this way...

Different mains inform us in different ways. As a Dormammu player, I see problems other people don't. Other people see problems I don't because of who they main. I am best at noticing things that are too good from the the standpoint from which I play. Others offer other ideas. I'm the only person who specializes in zoning on the committee, so I tend to notice problems that crop up for zoners. Since no one else really plays dedicated zoning like I do, they probably don't have Nova players randomly throw Human Rocket out there against them too often. Thus they are not in a position to recognize how it is imbalanced.

CHAOTIC FLAME!

Bizazedo

That's kind of the point of Nova, though, Karst. To tear through a lot of zoning.

I.e., just because he tears up Dormammu isn't reason to nerf him.

That being said, I do get how watching Human Rockets come at you can be annoying (Just jump when the Nova does it and it sucks, btw, but whatever :) ).

I also hate how safe Chaotic Flame is.

That's kind of the point of Nova, though, Karst. To tear through a lot of zoning.

I.e., just because he tears up Dormammu isn't reason to nerf him.
Any move that 100% stomps another team strategy should at least be punishable when that move fails. That's the bare minimum right there.

I mean, if Dormammu whiffs a single Purification, nearly the entire cast kills him. A single goddamn Purification whiff, and dead Dormammu. And that only does 120K damage, and you have to aim it intelligently, you don't get an invincible startup, etc.

But when I say "Hey, this move that's invincible to everything on the screen, is safe on block, has massive priority, can be done via mix-ups, and leads to full combos is a little strong", everyone says I just have it out for Nova and Spencer! I'm just biased in Dormammu's favor...

If the point of the Back flip was for mix ups they wouldn't have buffed its invincibility going from Vanilla to Ultimate. Whatever reason they buffed it for it wasn't to buff his mix ups. It's not a great neutral back flip due to that high recovery.

Suggested patch tier list

The gaps aren't that much and you shouldn't be comparing support value from up to down (because the right to left only really applies in that tier bracket).
I expected something informative to dwell on. :p This is not the fun-loving Marvel dissertation writer I know and love!

Dahbomb

That's the point of it, though.
If the point of the Back flip was for mix ups they wouldn't have buffed its invincibility going from Vanilla to Ultimate. Whatever reason they buffed it for it wasn't to buff his mix ups. It's not a great neutral back flip due to that high recovery.

Suggested patch tier list

The gaps aren't that much and you shouldn't be comparing support value from up to down (because the right to left only really applies in that tier bracket).

X-23 and Felicia have better ways of getting in than Jill. Health should correspond to the amount of difficulty the character has getting in and opening an opponent up (i.e. how much chip damage the character can be expected to take).
Jill has an invincible teleport, a super fast ground dash, has air OK Arrow Kick (which is now improved), has a slide, a LVL1 hyper that is invincible and safe on block and now a LVL1 Mad Beast. Jill gets in on Morrigan better than Felicia and X23 for example. She is at least comparable with those 2 characters.

I expected something informative to dwell on. :p This is not the fun-loving Marvel dissertation writer I know and love!
I mean you are free to ask questions on it if you like but I am not going to give a full dissertation until the whole thing is changed. I bet this tier list changes around within the next hour!

But this is how things are looking now. Dante is the best character in the game... again. And honestly if those 5 characters end up being top 5 this would be the most fair and balanced game ever made.

Frantic

I was actually going to clarify on the Optic Laser change. I want the vertical hitbox above to be adjusted. The lower hitbox is fine, but the above hitbox reaches very far above and does not match the actual laser. It's partly active frames, but it's also partly because it's coming from Viper's goggles so...

I just want to be able to punish a bad Optic Laser for once, man. It's either getting clipped by it after it shrinks, or I gotta watch for EX Seismo. >_>

Bizazedo

But when I say "Hey, this move that's invincible to everything on the screen, is safe on block, has massive priority, can be done via mix-ups, and leads to full combos is a little strong", everyone says I just have it out for Nova and Spencer! No no no, I'm just biased in Dormammu's favor...

But it's not....and this statement scares me because it makes me wonder if you know how the move actually works.

Any physical attack stuffs it. Trading with Phantom Dance is hilarious. Hilarious.

It doesn't retain the projectile nullifying properties for very long at all. I've been knocked out by projectiles.

And if the opponent is smart and jumps (it's start up is slooow), even if it does hit, they're usually too high to continue a combo unless the Nova X-factors.

The main time it leads to a follow up combo is when the Nova is punishing or catches an opponent pressing buttons OR they're dumb and freeze and stay on the ground.

Additionally, even if he does actually pull off the full follow-up combo, he still ends up burning two meters as opposed to one from what a start of a combo would bring for equivalent damage.

Dahbomb

Yea Speeding Tackle does not have high priority and it is not invincible on start up (only on active and even then only for projectiles). It's a pure anti zoning tool, not fully comparable to Bionic Arm because Bionic Arm beats everything. As a Vergil/Wesker/Wolverine player I have never cared about Speeding Tackle but Bionic Arm is what I am always scared of.

I think a fair change would be that it doesn't destroy projectiles, it should just pass through them.

But it's not....

Any physical attack stuffs it. Trading with Phantom Dance is hilarious. Hilarious.

It doesn't retain the projectile nullifying properties for very long at all. I've been knocked out by projectiles.

And if the opponent is smart and jumps (it's start up is slooow), even if it does hit, they're usually too high to continue a combo unless the Nova X-factors.

The main time it leads to a follow up combo is when the Nova is punishing or catches an opponent pressing buttons OR they're dumb and freeze and stay on the ground.

Additionally, even if he does actually pull off the full follow-up combo, he still ends up burning two meters as opposed to one from what a start of a combo would bring for equivalent damage.
I'm talking about when it's used against zoners! I'm talking about how Nova makes keepaway too scared to play their game at all because of this move. At the very least they should get a reward when they decide to crouch in fear instead rather than fire a single projectile!

And Human Rocket destroys my glorious Stalking Flares. How do you think that makes me feel, Biz? How do you think that makes me feel...When Dormammu says "RUN, RUN!", he doesn't mean that you should run into his face with your fist. It's just goddamn rude.

Yea Speeding Tackle does not have high priority and it is not invincible on start up (only on active and even then only for projectiles). It's a pure anti zoning tool, not fully comparable to Bionic Arm because Bionic Arm beats everything. As a Vergil/Wesker/Wolverine player I have never cared about Speeding Tackle but Bionic Arm is what I am always scared of.

I think a fair change would be that it doesn't destroy projectiles, it should just pass through them.
Who gives a shit when my character just got hit? Is Hadoken going to turn around and help me out or something?

Dahbomb

Yeah I definitely agree that it should not destroy projectiles, that's just wrong. It should just be invulnerable to them.

If you want to adjust the frame advantage then you need to specify a number. Right now it's -40 or something. Make it like -70 and then it would be punishable by a Chaotic Flame.

Bizazedo

I'm talking about when it's used against zoners! I'm talking about how Nova makes keepaway too scared to play their game at all because of this move. At the very least they should get a reward when they decide to crouch in fear instead rather than fire a single projectile!

And Human Rocket destroys my glorious Stalking Flares. How do you think that makes me feel, Biz? How do you think that makes me feel...When Dormammu says "RUN, RUN!", he doesn't mean that you should run into his face with your fist. It's just goddamn rude.

Who gives a shit when my character just got hit? Is Hadoken going to turn around and help me out or something?

Again, I could care less since as Dahbomb said, it's intended as an anti-zoning attack. And as I said above, if he gets the ideal situation and gets a combo out of it, he's still burning two meters.

It's not a BAD thing for a character to have bad match ups :).

Dahbomb does bring up a good point. Destroying projectiles is a bit silly, ESPECIALLY when he does it to Arthur's level 3. Increasing the time he's immune to them, but not destroying them, works for me.

That way if you block, he'll fall into your ball of fire :).

Yeah, that'd work.

Stalking Flare, Human Rocket, x-factor block Human Rocket, Nova has a choice of being vulnerable next to Dormammu, flying away and into Stalking Flare, straight up and falling helplessly, or X-factor himself.

Dahbomb

Why are we buffing Dorm while gradually destroying other characters' tool that threaten him :(
Read my tier list. Dorm is in top 5 because of this. If you look back at the bad match up list that FChamp posted, I think aside from Strange almost all of Dorm's bad match ups got nerfed. Zero and Vergil especially got hit hard, Nova and Spencer are nerfed too. Anyone who is still on that list as a bad match up for Dorm like let's say Wolverine would have more bad match ups than Dorm AND would provide less support to the team.

Then you realize that one of his weaknesses used to be bad assists and that's definitely gone now. So now you have a superb all around character with godlike DHCs (Stalking Flare plus Chaotic Flame) and great assists. Probably the best 2nd slot character in the game right now especially with Vergil's removal from that slot.

Dante is the best though.

SmokeMaxX

Speed Tackle isn't free even if it's blocked and unpunished. It's not like Nova can just spam it. He only gets one chance to use it per meter and it's not like he's going to earn a ton of meter getting chipped to death by Dormammu... If Speed Tackle was punishable by Chaotic Flame, Dorm/Nova would be like 9-1. That being said, I think Nova is a POS and deserves to be nerfed into the ground (just because I hate the character). However, I'm not looking to build other characters with zero bad matchups.

I agreed with Karst on Bionic Arm, but I can't agree on Speed Tackle completely. Reducing blockstun is fine, but nerfing its anti-projectile properties is no bueno.

Unless I just read this page incorrectly. I did just get back from work.

Dahbomb

Morrigan doesn't care about Speeding Tackle, she can unfly against it. She is more worried about that air throw...

Oh wait that got nerfed.

SmokeMaxX

This part confused me on the Captain America proposed changes:
*Final Justice invincible from frames 0-36; travels faster; allows for post-hyper combo follow-up through Shield Slash L OTG.
Shield Slash L OTG already happens. You can only get OTG light SS xx hyper (usually HCS). If the proposed "change" is giving him a full combo followup after Final Justice, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable with that. His combos into it already kill especially with light shield slash xx HCS followup.

Dahbomb

That's supposed to mean that if you started a combo with Final Justice, you can pick them up OTG for a combo sort of like Iron Avenger. You can't do that if you used Final Justice at the end of a combo.

Is team Nemo better than Human Rocket + vajra gimmicks?
J.H plus Bolts pressure that guarantees a character death is WAY fucking better than a 1 meter mix up.

I agreed with Karst on Bionic Arm, but I can't agree on Speed Tackle completely. Reducing blockstun is fine, but nerfing its anti-projectile properties is no bueno.

Unless I just read this page incorrectly. I did just get back from work.
Dahbomb is the one preaching that we should nerf its anti-projectile properties. It makes me really sad that Nova destroys Stalking Flare, but I don't think it should be changed.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Imo we should just give Arthur's lances 6 durability instead of 5 to really push him over the edge
not being 100% serious

It makes me sad that Nova's airdash is so slow when canonically he's probably the fastest person in Marvel, but I ain't gonna change that shit.

Dahbomb is the one preaching that we should nerf its anti-projectile properties. It makes me really sad that Nova destroys Stalking Flare, but I don't think it should be changed.

Yeah that shouldn't be changed and the super should have faster startup if you intend to make it punishable on block. Or at least invincible startup.

Dahbomb

Right now top 10 in the new game are (no order):

Dante
Dormammu
Sentinel
Magneto
Viper
Storm
Strider
Nova
Zero
Iron Man

I was unsure who would be the #10 as my top 9 were fairly locked in. Then I realized that since Dante is going to be #1 character in the game that automatically makes Zero top 10 as well. Now Zero doesn't have to hold all the pressure in the game.

Iron Man, Dante, Storm, Dorm, Nova, Trish and Sentinel are the top 6 "#2" slots in the game. Of these Nova can be played on point as well but so can the rest of these characters. Trish just BARELY didn't make it into my top 10, I think she's like 11 or 12 at worst now.

Viper, Zero and Magneto remain the best points. Magneto now has Sentinel who is his top assist and Viper/Zero have Jam Session still. Viper still has Strider.

Strider/Vergil/Phoenix still are the best anchors in the game but people are just going to be using Vergil and Phoenix way less. They don't provide a top tier assist. Vergil with 2 meter SS reduces his potency. He would still be an excellent counter pick to both and would still be picked on something like a Hawkeye team. But he's not top 10 in this patch.

The 3 characters that entered top level meta game were Storm, Iron Man and Sentinel. This makes team construction really easy as you can make stuff like Storm/IM/Sentinel or any combination of that team with Magneto, Dante, Dormammu. The rest of the top tier meta looks the same, people will still use Missiles because it has great utility but not against everything like they do now.

Another thing to note is that with characters like Dante/Dorm entering the meta game it makes pure rushdown characters slightly better as there is less of Zero to worry about. Characters now have a legitimate choice among Wolverine, Jill and X23 to get in on these characters. No one is going to be playing Dorm/Dante point though, they would usually be covered by Zero/Viper or hell even Sentinel. Sentinel with a launcher that contains HYPER ARMOR means he gets to win 99% of start of round gambit and once he is in flight mode he is hard to catch with grounded characters as they have to deal with pressure.

Nova is a solid character that remains solid no matter what happens. Giving him better assists only further supplants the fact that he will get play. People will still use stuff like Nova plus Strange especially if Dorm becomes common.

The more things change... the more they stay the same. This is what the patch is looking now. Basically the only 3 new characters that became new top 10 were Iron Man, Storm and Sentinel replacing characters like Spencer, Vergil and Wolverine (all were dropped down because now they lack the damage to be put on teams over characters with superior tools).

I am not preaching anything, I just suggested it because you were sad about losing Stalking Flares. I don't think we should be touching Nova's hyper in any thing other than that cross up ability. I don't know how to fix it so I would just vote to leave it alone.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
How important is the Hawkeye change when only 1/5 Hawkeye mains here even knew it existed?
In practical terms, it's the difference between cutting one single arrow loop out of some of your combos to ensure that it works, or going for broke and risking that it drops.

In other words: not a necessity or a huge difference. Then again, I think the same of probably 90% of all things being discussed here. And to be honest, I can actually see some weird logic in making it like it is in the first place: Capcom might think it's appropriate to encourage you to manually aim carefully.

Not really sure what to make of other Hawkeye mains who never noticed it. :p

Frantic

Another thing to note is that with characters like Dante/Dorm entering the meta game it makes pure rushdown characters slightly better as there is less of Zero to worry about. Characters now have a legitimate choice among Wolverine, Jill and X23 to get in on these characters. No one is going to be playing Dorm/Dante point though, they would usually be covered by Zero/Viper or hell even Sentinel. Sentinel with a launcher that contains HYPER ARMOR means he gets to win 99% of start of round gambit and once he is in flight mode he is hard to catch with grounded characters as they have to deal with pressure.
I will! Because I'm silly.
But I'm nobody, so I guess it balances out.

Although, with the Trish buffs, I would seriously consider switching to Trish/Dante/Strider.

Why are we buffing Dorm while gradually destroying other characters' tool that threaten him :(
We buffed the hell out of a ton of characters that destroy Dormammu. :p

And it's not like Dormammu got any big buffs. He even got two big nerfs!

Yeah that shouldn't be changed and the super should have faster startup if you intend to make it punishable on block. Or at least invincible startup.
If Dormammu sees something he can punish, he beams it. ~300K damage, and then the fight moves on. If you want to make Beam hypers comboable to bring them on par with Human Rocket, I'm glad to talk about it. I doubt you, or anyone else, wants to do that, though. And Chaotic Flame is punishable on block, too!

We buffed the hell out of a ton of characters that destroy Dormammu. :p

If Dormammu sees something he can punish, he beams it. ~300K damage, and then the fight moves on. If you want to make Beam hypers comboable to bring them on par with Human Rocket, I'm glad to talk about it. I doubt you, or anyone else, wants to do that, though. And Chaotic Flame is punishable on block, too!

Wait what????

Chaotic Flame starts up way faster than Human Rocket.

I'm not following you.

Dahbomb

Without a doubt in the current top 10 characters he got buffed the most comparable only to Dante. You can spin this all you want but the buff to his assist game is enough to ensure that he would be a common pick if this game gets made.

Without a doubt in the current top 10 characters he got buffed the most comparable only to Dante. You can spin this all you want but the buff to his assist game is enough to ensure that he would be a common pick if this game gets made.
Oh right, the assist changes! Those are quite good. But you don't seem to factor that in for Wolverine and friends. Wesker has a nice new assist, too!

I don't think Dormammu will ever be a common pick. He's like Morrigan - only a certain kind of player really enjoys using him.
Control freaks.

Dahbomb

Oh right, the assist changes! Those are quite good. But you don't seem to factor that in for Wolverine and friends. Wesker has a nice new assist, too!

I don't think Dormammu will ever be a common pick. He's like Morrigan - only a certain kind of player really enjoys using him.
Control freaks.
I did factor them in... the factor that matters to me is that one character has 3 great assists and the other has one maybe two while also having inferior DHC options. No way is fucking Swiss Cheese comparable to a tracking Purification or Dark Matter. In addition, Wesker doesn't have the same DHC options as Dormammu does. In terms of support there's like 1 or 2 tier gap between the two characters.

Basically in the current top 10 the only 2 characters outside of Dorm who got their support buffed in a substantial way are Nova and Viper. Viper still has unsafe DHCs so she will never be used outside of point. Nova is basically comparable to Dorm now in that he has both in the support department but his point game got nerfed (air throw game and now we are debating Human Rocket).

Morrigan isn't picked as much because she doesn't have great assists and she is harder to play than even Dorm. People already pick Dorm at a decent rate (enough of a rate to ensure he gets more than 1 spot in a top 8 here and there). And this is being compared to Dorm with shit assists.

I am about as sure about Dorm being top 5 in this patch as I was with Vergil being top 5 pre-release.

Top Bottom