• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Frantic

Why you hatin' on my girl for? :p
It's just a gripe, nothing that serious. I'm fine with it being taken off. I have just had one too many times where I jump over Optic Laser, Viper has no meter, and I'm like "sucker!" and out of nowhere I get bopped by an invisible hitbox.

Makes me sad.

Much like Vergil's normals.
but i play dante so i can't complain too much >_>
Viscant: "NeoGAF scares me. There's this poster...Professor Beef. He makes me sad. He says a lot of mean things about me."
lol

It's okay Viscant, not everyone has mean things to say about you! #teampurity

Zissou

I am going to sleep on Doom damage/combo changes and then give my thoughts/suggestions in the morning.

Basically what I want from the character is more encouragement to do aerial optimized combos rather than going for lazy OTG loops. Nerfing damage just discourages people from playing the character, nerfing both kinds off combos pisses off even more people. J.M nerfs both types of combos, flat HSD change nerfs both and damage scaling change nerfs both.

What you want... already exists. Good Doom combos presently avoid OTGs as much as possible (early in the combo) and you only transition to OTGs late in the combo when that is his only option to keep the combo going. I don't understand why this even a problem.

Currently:
-Using a bunch of OTG relaunches lets you do easy-mode Doom combos that do pretty good damage still.
-Good Doom combos do significantly more damage than the easy-mode combos and already minimize the use of OTGs.
-Doom combo length is normal by marvel standards.

What you want... already exists. Good Doom combos presently avoid OTGs as much as possible (early in the combo) and you only transition to OTGs late in the combo when that is his only option to keep the combo going. I don't understand why this even a problem.

Currently:
-Using a bunch of OTG relaunches lets you do easy-mode Doom combos that do pretty good damage still.
-Good Doom combos do significantly more damage than the easy-mode combos and already minimize the use of OTGs.
-Doom combo length is normal by marvel standards.
I feel like a 10% damage nerf is enough; do you?

Dr. Doom standup comedy: "I just flew in from Latveria, and boy are my feet tired."

I-hate-u

Can you please explain how this would be broken? I don't even think it will particularly useful (and I'm not even sure who originally suggested it). It'll be a nice perk, giving point Doom a way to use missiles outside of welcome mix-ups and make himself safe (currently, you can THC-cancel them to make them safe, but if you're playing point Doom, you'll waste all your bar) and he'll be ever so slightly less fucked when he goes for a back throw but he's too far away (though a good Doom player should almost never do this for this exact reason).

Converting off of Doom forward throws outside the corner is dependent on the air throw height, and in many situations can be difficult or even impossible (as in literally impossible to accomplish). Presently, you can get the conversion if you're super close to the ground (so you almost immediately land, dash forward, tri-dash and convert almost as if it were a forward ground throw) or around max normal jump height where you can addf right after the throw, do a single tri-dash, and connect. At other heights you either need absurd execution, or it simply can't be done.

I just think that having HM dash cancellable would make Dr.Doom incoming mixups scarier and safer. A very strong zoning technique with Doom is to cancel the HM (the only way to cancel other than xfactor) with follow my lead to bait your opponent into getting hit. Having it hyper cancellable would make him be able to call assists during his hyper which further makes him a better zoner.

In regards to air throw, I am against the notion that you can combo from an air grab at any height specially when its so derpy already. This is for all characters. It should be height and space based. In my eyes, its not fair to let Nova combo from any air grab on the screen while Sentinel cannot. No character should have the ability. Dr.Doom can do that from his back air throw anyway so he is good enough as he is.

Btw, I say all this and Dr. Doom is my favourite character on point.

Zissou

I feel like a 10% damage nerf is enough; do you?

Dr. Doom standup comedy: "I just flew in from Latveria, and boy are my feet tired."

10% would probably be fine. Given Dahbomb's hate for Doom's easy combos, you could nerf everything aside from j.M by 5% and j.M by 20%. Doom's easy combos use many more j.Ms than optimized combos, so it'd weight the nerf to affect lazy players more significantly than players already doing more optimized combos.

I just think that having HM dash cancellable would make Dr.Doom incoming mixups scarier and safer. A very strong zoning technique with Doom is to cancel the HM (the only way to cancel other than xfactor) with follow my lead to bait your opponent into getting hit. Having it hyper cancellable would make him be able to call assists during his hyper which further makes him a better zoner.

In regards to air throw, I am against the notion that you can combo from an air grab at any height specially when its so derpy already. This is for all characters. It should be height and space based. In my eyes, its not fair to let Nova combo from any air grab on the screen while Sentinel cannot. No character should have the ability. Dr.Doom can do that from his back air throw anyway so he is good enough as he is.

Btw, I say all this and Dr. Doom is my favourite character on point.

No one is going to be baited into getting hit- that's a non-issue. Making it hyper-cancellable has nothing to do with being able to call assists.

Doom's air throw game is currently a huge step below Magneto's. Magneto get's to convert off of any throw and always gets to option select it with his amazing j.H. Doom's reliable option (back throw) gives you butter gun if you miss, which means you're fucked. Fwd. air throw needs to be more reliable so he has a decent option select into a reliable throw follow-up.

Dahbomb

Unless Doom gets some crazy tech or strat in the neutral with a dash cancelable Missile I don't see a problem.

How much does an optimized aerial Doom combo do? No assists mid screen combo.

10% would probably be fine. Given Dahbomb's hate for Doom's easy combos, you could nerf everything aside from j.M by 5% and j.M by 20%. Doom's easy combos use many more j.Ms than optimized combos, so it'd weight the nerf to affect lazy players more significantly than players already doing more optimized combos.
That's why I recommended the j.M nerf to begin with.

Dahbomb

I saw another full screen BnB with Doom and it was out putting something like 700-750k damage meterless with over 900k damage. He reached near a Million with a single assist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkHWPFAgDYY&sns=em

Yea he needs a 10% reduction on his base normals. His case is exactly like Dorm, people aren't doing optimal shit because there is no need for it. Only Doom's cap for meterless damage is way higher.

Optimized combos for Doom will now do like 650K meterless which is still damn good.

Vice

Captain America's Hyper Charging Star should be truly projectile invincible. Right now it's just many points of high durability. Moves that are truly projectile invincible, like Nova's Human rocket, will go through Genmu Zero and other high durability projectiles while they beat Hyper Charging Star. The move while high damaging doesn't leave you able to do much when it hits and is extremely negative on block

Nova has a glitch where he can't whiff a normal after his air throw. If he presses a normal too soon he'll slowly float to the ground. it's a very slow float, he doesn't even have enough time to OTG after he lands to put the slowness in perspective.

Captain America's Hyper Charging Star should be truly projectile invincible. Right now it's just many points of high durability. Moves that are truly projectile invincible, like Nova's Human rocket, will go through Genmu Zero and other high durability projectiles while they beat Hyper Charging Star. The move while high damaging doesn't leave you able to do much when it hits and is extremely negative on block
If no one is opposed to this, I will make the change.

Nova has a glitch where he can't whiff a normal after his air throw. If he presses a normal too soon he'll slowly float to the ground. it's a very slow float, he doesn't even have enough time to OTG after he lands to put the slowness in perspective.
I don't follow you. I see Nova players whiff j.H to get down faster all the time.

Vice

If no one is opposed to this, I will make the change.

I don't follow you. I see Nova players whiff j.H to get down faster all the time.

You have to time it somewhat carefully. It can't be done immediately after the throw. He'll enter a float state if you whiff a normal as soon as possible, it's why you never see a Nova player do it immediately after the throw. It's no big deal now since he gets nearly three seconds to pick up after a throw. It's more of an annoyance than anything.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Captain America's Hyper Charging Star should be truly projectile invincible. Right now it's just many points of high durability. Moves that are truly projectile invincible, like Nova's Human rocket, will go through Genmu Zero and other high durability projectiles while they beat Hyper Charging Star. The move while high damaging doesn't leave you able to do much when it hits and is extremely negative on block.
Hyper Charging Star actually loses outright to Sand Splash. It's funny as hell.

ZeroCDR

Numerous Zero players have said they are okay with his changes.

I'm not. I can accept the suggested changes except the Buster nerf. I found some time to track down and look at the Zero day in the previous thread, and you added ridiculous Buster nerfs all on your own.

I saw enough backlash against the Buster nerfs with excellent reasoning, and hardly anything changed. At minimum the charge time should stay the same as it is now. 10 frame startup is fine as long as it doesn't affect its combo-ability, I don't think it would.

Raikousen is his problem, and that will be fixed. Buster is his best tool, but it isn't a problem.

I'm not. I can accept the suggested changes except the Buster nerf. I found some time to track down and look at the Zero day in the previous thread, and you added ridiculous Buster nerfs all on your own.

I saw enough backlash against the Buster nerfs with excellent reasoning, and hardly anything changed. At minimum the charge time should stay the same as it is now. 10 frame startup is fine as long as it doesn't affect its combo-ability, I don't think it would.

Raikousen is his problem, and that will be fixed. Buster is his best tool, but it isn't a problem.
What on earth are you talking about? Everything in there was discussed openly in this thread. I don't sneak changes in - rofl.

Buster is a problem.

Dahbomb

Buster itself is not a problem. Buster leading to characters dead is. His damage is nerfed significantly as is the scaling off of Buster. The charge time nerf is unwarranted because it might start affecting his combos as he needs the Buster charged in time for select combos.

Zero doesn't have great assists and he will be competing with other point characters for the spot, some of who have much better assists than him. If Zero ends up in top 10 again some how then he would be the only one without a great assist.

ZeroCDR

What on earth are you talking about? Everything in there was discussed openly in this thread. I don't sneak changes in - rofl.

Buster is a problem.

I see it differently:

Zero:
*Soft knockdown on Lightning removed; hitstun remains high.
*Minimum scaling on specials and normals reduced 15%
*Lightning canceled by Buster no longer creates a hitbox.
*Hit stop during combos reduced for improved combo flow.
*Sentsuizan no longer hits multiple characters.
*Level 3 buster shot hitbox reduced, requires 200 charging frames, hits 9 times.
*j.H startup increased to 12 frames.

Assists: Hadangeki L, Ryuenjin H, Hadangeki H

Who else mentioned those specific Buster nerfs before you posted this? I didn't see anything.

Buster is a problem for you, not the game :p

Buster itself is not a problem. Buster leading to characters dead is. His damage is nerfed significantly as is the scaling off of Buster. The charge time nerf is unwarranted because it might start affecting his combos as he needs the Buster charged in time for select combos.

Zero doesn't have great assists and he will be competing with other point characters for the spot, some of who have much better assists than him. If Zero ends up in top 10 again some how then he would be the only one without a great assist.
Zero has good assists. Even FChamp referred to Ryuenjin as "Psylocke Assist". It has massive priority and very high hitstun.

And Zero is kind of like Doom. Everyone does his easy mode bnb with Vergil because they are too scared to do a solo mid-screen carry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9PkkFulYg

He can solo relaunch already without the buster.

Who else mentioned those specific Buster nerfs before you posted this? I didn't see anything.

Buster is a problem for you, not the game :p
Oh, the nerfs were definitely my idea, but they were discussed, changed, and approved, and then we moved on.

If you want something changed, you should try arguing for it instead of making weird accusations at me.

ZeroCDR

The charge time nerf is unwarranted because it might start affecting his combos as he needs the Buster charged in time for select combos.

I forgot to mention this as well, probably the biggest reason why the charge nerf needs to be reversed at minimum.

I can live with 10 frame startup and the durability/hits change.

Dahbomb

We definitely discussed Buster nerfs. The previous nerfs were even more severe than this. I talked down Karst into the current one (yes the previous ones were worse than this) and said I would come back to them after we finished the cast. After re-evaluation is still looks severe.

I am not cheerleading for any one, I don't give a damn about the character or its players when it comes to what I believe to be fair. I keep all my discussion as unbiased as possible. Buster is a powerful tool and its supposed to be a powerful tool because its attached to a charge time. It defines the character as every part of his game plan revolves around it. Even a small change to his charge time is a big nerf.

Also there's no bargaining here. There's no "you can have this buff if I can have this buff" stuff. It just leads to shittier suggestions.

vg260

I know it's unlikely, but I really hope that capcom updates this game.

How likely is it just to update the balance? That seems like a money-losing effort for them. They would need to add content/make a new version to charge something, but then there's the Marvel mega-license. I just don't see it happening. I think they kinda screwed themselves at SDCC by saying anything about the game other than, pack it up, no new content. It wasn't like they came out and asked people for input like Ultra. The topic came up in questions and It was pretty much, Ono saying yeah, it's not balanced as well as we'd like, but we don't have the money, talk amongst yourselves.

How likely is it just to update the balance? That seems like a money-losing effort for them. They would need to add content/make a new version to charge something, but then there's the Marvel mega-license. I just don't see it happening. I think they kinda screwed themselves at SDCC by saying anything about the game other than, pack it up, no new content. It wasn't like they came out and asked people for input like Ultra. The topic came up in questions and It was pretty much, Ono saying yeah, it's not balanced as well as we'd like, but we don't have the money, talk amongst yourselves.
I think they could get away with a $5-10 charge just for a balance patch if they added the Vita features in plus some of the features we requested up there.

ZeroCDR

Oh, the nerfs were definitely my idea, but they were discussed, changed, and approved, and then we moved on.

It reads more like everyone just got tired of arguing with you and settled for a slight backtrack.

Point is nobody mentioned those nerfs, you simply stuck it in the first changelist on your own. When people fought against it you barely budged. The increased charge time is simply too much.

It reads more like everyone just got tired of arguing with you and settled for a slight backtrack.

Point is nobody mentioned those nerfs, you simply stuck it in the first changelist on your own. When people fought against it you barely budged. The increased charge time is simply too much.
What a tyrant I am!

Let me know when you have an argument, and I'll listen.

Dahbomb

That's how this thing works. Someone suggests a nerf, we discuss it, fine tune it and reach to a temporary agreement. Compromises have to be made.

Just like we did with many characters like Spencer just now. I am still completely against that nerf but it will be put to the vote. As will the Zero Buster change.

There is no change that will be implemented unless there's a 4/5 vote on it. So 4 people have to agree on the Buster changes.

JeTmAn81

So what does it take to actually make changes to an existing console game on your own? Like, how did those Project M people do it with Smash?

There's a lot of nitpicking on our list and frankly a lot of arbitrary stuff that could probably be solved in a more concise manner. I think for our second pass for the sake of brevity we should chop all the characters to 5 changes and get rid of anything else that's absolutely unnecessary.

It feels like for the sake of agreements with a large amount of people it's hard to get anything passed other than obvious changes and stuff so small nobody cares enough to argue.

We can narrow it down to changes that fix real problems only.

Zissou

Even with those nerfs, Zero will still be very strong. Zero players fear being exposed for the frauds that they are if he is nerfed to reasonable levels.

I'm arguing for it, Dahbomb made excellent points recently, as did several people on Zero day.
An argument involves making points, not just saying "It's too much!" over and over and making accusations against me. You've yet to make an actual point in your case. Consider looking at some of the posts others have made regarding recent characters for reference of what an argument entails.

So what does it take to actually make changes to an existing console game on your own? Like, how did those Project M people do it with Smash?
It has something to do with loading from a flash drive, right?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";73771218]There's a lot of nitpicking on our list and frankly a lot of arbitrary stuff that could probably be solved in a more concise manner. I think for our second pass for the sake of brevity we should chop all the characters to 5 changes and get rid of anything else that's absolutely unnecessary.

It feels like for the sake of agreements with a large amount of people it's hard to get anything passed other than obvious changes and stuff so small nobody cares enough to argue.

We can narrow it down to changes that fix real problems only.[/QUOTE]
What?! GB...that's ridiculous.

If there's a change that you think isn't needed, just say so and we will discuss it. There's no reason to limit every character to 5 changes.

Like when I requested the Smart Bombs input change? Your responses were quite amusing, just a total treat lol
Input changes need strong arguments for them, not just "well, that's tradition". I even left Shuma-Gorath's inputs as goddamn charge moves. You're a Zero player, so dp motions should be second nature to you.

A few people have brought up the ATK+S input change, and I'm interested in it, but I haven't really seen a compelling argument. Would it somehow improve the character? Does the current input interfere with his gameplay in some way? None of the committee members have responded to these requests. It's truly bizarre that you are focusing on me. If no committee member attaches to an idea, it doesn't move - it is required that 4/5 vote for it. Instead of whining to me, whine to another member to take up your cause. I just change the list - I don't control what's on it beyond the initial suggestions I post, which are my own ideas, which is how everyone should be doing it.

JeTmAn81

It has something to do with loading from a flash drive, right?

Yes. I downloaded the files and I'm looking over the structure of what they've got there. They have individual files for the system, stages, each character, etc. But what I'm most interested in is how they compiled these data files (they aren't plain text) and how they knew how to write something that could change the game in the ways they wanted.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";73771218]There's a lot of nitpicking on our list and frankly a lot of arbitrary stuff that could probably be solved in a more concise manner. I think for our second pass for the sake of brevity we should chop all the characters to 5 changes and get rid of anything else that's absolutely unnecessary.

We can narrow it down to changes that fix real problems only.[/QUOTE]
The problem is some characters have more than 10 problems. Like we seriously struggled to bring Iron Fist down to 10 changes.

10 changes is the minimum to make some characters even competitive in the current meta game. Capcom did more 10 changes on some characters like Cap and it still wasn't enough for some cases.

Yes. I downloaded the files and I'm looking over the structure of what they've got there. They have individual files for the system, stages, each character, etc. But what I'm most interested in is how they compiled these data files (they aren't plain text) and how they knew how to write something that could change the game in the ways they wanted.
I only have two semesters of C++ behind me, so it's definitely beyond my present understanding...

JeTmAn81

I only have two semesters of C++ behind me, so it's definitely beyond my present understanding...

I have a lifetime of programming experience, but I've never done anything like hacking a game. My guess is it's a lot harder with the HD systems, but not impossible.

The problem is some characters have more than 10 problems. Like we seriously struggled to bring Iron Fist down to 10 changes.

10 changes is the minimum to make some characters even competitive in the current meta game. Capcom did more 10 changes on some characters like Cap and it still wasn't enough for some cases.

If ten changes isn't enough to make a charcter good, maybe we need to look at the changes. I'd rather have 5 changes that get people's attention than 10 that only change little tiny things.

You have to time it somewhat carefully. It can't be done immediately after the throw. He'll enter a float state if you whiff a normal as soon as possible, it's why you never see a Nova player do it immediately after the throw. It's no big deal now since he gets nearly three seconds to pick up after a throw. It's more of an annoyance than anything.

i hate it when this happens. i always thought it was lag, and not a known glitch. that shit is sooo stupid. i should just get out of the habit of whiffing normals after an air throw.

Top Bottom