• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

You're underrating those Storm changes.

Not that it matters, since single-character tier lists are still nonsensical in this game.

Dahbomb

She is top 10 too. I don't know how I am under estimating her. Hell I even have Iron Man in top 10 now.

Top tier as in these characters would comprise a majority of the top tier teams in the game.

Vice

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";73676248]Is team Nemo better than Human Rocket + vajra gimmicks?[/QUOTE]
Strider/Nova is the second best Nova shell. It's more than just HR gimmicks. Nova/Strange/Spencer is the best.

Dahbomb

More teams should try the point/assist/second point team order.
That works for teams that have a safe way of getting the second point in. It works for Strange Spencer because SoV into Bionic Maneuvers is safe.

Unknown has a shit version of this where he has Sentinel second and Viper last. He has to burn X factor to bring Viper in safely... LOL!

Ironically, ChrisG basically plays his team that way. When he has the chance he always brings in Vergil to play second point. He only plays anchor Vergil when he is forced to, otherwise he would rather close it out with Vergil plus Missiles.

Nova/Spencer/Strange for UMVC3 is basically the best possible Nova team that we know of right now. Nova + Strider is definitely super legit but you sacrifice big damage for a super jump anti air assist.

Vice

That works for teams that have a safe way of getting the second point in. It works for Strange Spencer because SoV into Bionic Maneuvers is safe.

Unknown has a shit version of this where he has Sentinel second and Viper last. He has to burn X factor to bring Viper in safely... LOL!

Ironically, ChrisG basically plays his team that way. When he has the chance he always brings in Vergil to play second point. He only plays anchor Vergil when he is forced to, otherwise he would rather close it out with Vergil plus Missiles.

Nova/Spencer/Strange for UMVC3 is basically the best possible Nova team that we know of right now. Nova + Strider is definitely super legit but you sacrifice big damage for a super jump anti air assist.

Nova/Strider depends in the second. Doom, Dante, MODOK, or Vergil will let you TOD the majority of the cast from anywhere on screen.

Dahbomb

Oh man forgot god damn Vergil the damage inflator.

Those other 3 get raw tag combos... which reminds me.

Are we doing anything about raw tag combos doing near full damage off of throw? Or is that technically fixed by Nova having more recovery on his throw?

Vice

Oh man forgot god damn Vergil the damage inflator.

Those other 3 get raw tag combos... which reminds me.

Are we doing anything about raw tag combos doing near full damage off of throw? Or is that technically fixed by Nova having more recovery on his throw?
Their DHCs usually pushed an optimized combo over 1 million. No more hard tags due to shorter knockdown time. With Nova'd current recovery they barely have time to otg post-tag.

Dahbomb

Their DHCs usually pushed an optimized combo over 1 million. No more hard tags due to shorter knockdown time. With Nova'd current recovery they barely have time to otg post-tag.
Ah ok cool.

Seems the team Nemo set up is still the highest damage though in terms of meter effeciency.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";73692083]I'm quitting if you guys do a god damn thing about raw tag combos.[/QUOTE]

They're only useful for swag purposes. I'm all for getting rid of them.

Zissou

Does hard tagging mid-combo affect any type of scaling?

If the first character started the combo with a throw, throw scaling only affects that character, so if you raw tag somebody in, you do regular damage instead of lower damage due to throw scaling.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";73692083]I'm quitting if you guys do a god damn thing about raw tag combos.[/QUOTE]
We are not making any system changes on it. Relax.

We can still have Viewtiful Joe doing 7 raw tags during slow mo. You can still have Doom pick up people after Dorm's Volcano.

We will never take out the swag. Maybe swag will do less damage but there has been no change implemented that actually changes someone's combos for the worse. I mean seriously Karst didn't even take out Zero LL.

Zissou

We are not making any system changes on it. Relax.

We can still have Viewtiful Joe doing 7 raw tags during slow mo. You can still have Doom pick up people after Dorm's Volcano.

We will never take out the swag. Maybe swag will do less damage but there has been no change implemented that actually changes someone's combos for the worse.

Doom!

Dahbomb

Look at the changes again. We reversed the HSD changes in favor for less scaling. In fact we even gave him more hit stun on forward Foot Dive for better confirms.

Unless you mean post TACs then yea that got removed but it wasn't a Doom specific thing.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";73693258]Spencer lost a good 500k[/QUOTE]
And? His swag still remains, what changed is damage and that applies to more than just Spencer.

I think the only character aside from Zero who got a significant change on some HSD for combos is Strange and even then he can still do FotF loops (just fewer).

Frantic

Just a bit of a tangent(since it got mentioned) and something I was going to bring up in my list, but... you can't really 'fix' the FoF loops by adjusting the Flames of the Faltine hitstun values(which is what was put in the changelist). The move causes the same amount of hitstun from the first hit to number 999 in a combo. If you adjust the Flames of the Faltine hitstun values, you're either just making them harder and more spacing dependent than before, or removing them entirely.

One way to 'fix' FoF loops without removing them entirely is make it so that they cause more HSD in a combo so he can't get as many solo relaunches(I think he can get four currently?) and has to go to assist extensions after a couple FoF relaunches instead.

Zissou

Look at the changes again. We reversed the HSD changes in favor for less scaling. In fact we even gave him more hit stun on forward Foot Dive for better confirms.

Unless you mean post TACs then yea that got removed but it wasn't a Doom specific thing.

Doctor Doom:
*Hitstun reduced on s.M and s.H (fewer OTG relaunches).
*Hidden Missiles (assist): missiles which have not yet gained their tracking property fail to do so.
*Hidden Missiles assist now fires 2 fewer missiles.
*Plasma Beam no longer appears behind the point character.
*j.S untechable time decreased slightly; still allows for full combos off of a non-dash-canceled j.S; posterior hitbox reduced slightly.
*Molecular Shield inputs can now be held to keep the shield active for more frames before releasing the rock; 30 frames max; startup decreased by 2 frames across the board; L version now -3 on block; M version now -1 on block; H version now +1 on block.
*Hidden Missiles is now dash and hyper cancelable.
*Minimum damage scaling on normals reduced to 15%.
*j.L hitbox improved so that it can hit small crouching characters while tri-dashing.
*Recovery after a forward air throw reduced slightly.
*j.f+H hitstun increased slightly.

HSD changes are still there, no? If fwd.H footdive hitstun is buffed enough, it would become possible to do three reps of the buktooth loop which would offset it though. If not, Doom's damage drops like a stone due to fewer relaunches+damage scaling nerf.

Dahbomb

HSD changes are still there, no? If fwd.H footdive hitstun is buffed enough, it would become possible to do three reps of the buktooth loop which would offset it though. If not, Doom's damage drops like a stone due to fewer relaunches+damage scaling nerf.
That's supposed to be removed. I don't know why that's still in there.

Notice he has 11 changes on there, the one you bolded is the odd one out.

Swag and damage are inversely proportional to one another.

And I almost always defend swag, despite having none myself.
Oh I have 0 swag. I am the anti Gods Beard when it comes to combos. I used to try to do fancy combos in Tekken but still got beaten in it anyway, then I switched to "simple but effective combos" which allowed me to perform better.

Even my IM has extremely standard combos, no swag.

What?! When did we talk about removing Doom's OTG nerf? Those combos are too goddamn long.

Just a bit of a tangent(since it got mentioned) and something I was going to bring up in my list, but... you can't really 'fix' the FoF loops by adjusting the Flames of the Faltine hitstun values(which is what was put in the changelist). The move causes the same amount of hitstun from the first hit to number 999 in a combo. If you adjust the Flames of the Faltine hitstun values, you're either just making them harder and more spacing dependent than before, or removing them entirely.

One way to 'fix' FoF loops without removing them entirely is make it so that they cause more HSD in a combo so he can't get as many solo relaunches(I think he can get four currently?) and has to go to assist extensions after a couple FoF relaunches instead.
What eventually stops FoF loops?

Doom has so many unexplored combos to capitalize on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wou6APFn-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBrvOosMex4

Frantic

What eventually stops FoF loops?
They flip out of the launcher before Impact Palm can connect. It's why assist extensions still work - Impact Palm and FoF have a set hitstun value so as long as you can find a way to combo into them, it'll work. It's technically an infinite, but there are other limiting factors preventing it from being a true infinite.

I just died.

Dahbomb

Well Doom is on 11 changes and I thought we replaced the HSD change with the normal damage scaling nerf.

Changing the HSD affects optimized top level combos too.

Luis

Neo Member
Are you guys doing anything on normalizing normals across the board? Stuff that shouldn't work like Vergil's s.L hitting my Ryu behind him or Dooms cr.L or cr.M hitting me while hes looking away from me.

I would also like to throw out that Ryu can get thrown out of air tatsu. That doesn't seem like it should work but it does because the hitbox spins around ryu from side to side making it realistic but come on! THIS IS MAHVEL!!

Dahbomb

Are you guys doing anything on normalizing normals across the board? Stuff that shouldn't work like Vergil's s.L hitting my Ryu behind him or Dooms cr.L or cr.M hitting me while hes looking away from me.

I would also like to throw out that Ryu can get thrown out of air tatsu. That doesn't seem like it should work but it does because the hitbox spins around ryu from side to side making it realistic but come on! THIS IS MAHVEL!!
I wish we could but the hit boxes/hurt boxes are wonky in general. It's too big a change. We only concentrated on some stuff like Helm Breakers and Foot Dive.

They flip out of the launcher before Impact Palm can connect. It's why assist extensions still work - Impact Palm and FoF have a set hitstun value so as long as you can find a way to combo into them, it'll work. It's technically an infinite, but there are other limiting factors preventing it from being a true infinite.

I just died.
I dig. Dormammu is the same way on some of his stuff. :-(

So what's the proper change?

Well Doom is on 11 changes and I thought we replaced the HSD change with the normal damage scaling nerf.

Changing the HSD affects optimized top level combos too.
The combos are still really, really long. And Doom builds ridiculous meter on a hit. I think we need to think about this more.

Dahbomb

You then make the same change as you did to FotF.

Using st.M and st.H accelerates HSD faster. That is to say you can still use your aerial hit confirm combos and end with a st.H into launcher but if you start with a st.H/M you will then have less relaunches to work with.

And we then reverse the scaling nerf.

Zissou

What?! When did we talk about removing Doom's OTG nerf? Those combos are too goddamn long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBrvOosMex4

First combo is pure swag- terrible damage. Second is just Maziodyne loops which are unreliable off all but perfect point-blank confirms (unless in you're in the corner).

People complain about Doom combo length, but I honestly think it's salt over getting hit with footdives or the fact that he's on every god damn team and it gets old after a while. Doom combos (outside of TAC infinites obviously) aren't ACTUALLY especially long compared with other character's bnbs. I quickly looked up standard bnb videos for a few random characters (Magneto, Spencer, Haggar) and they were all actually significantly longer than regular Doom bnbs. Why is Doom being singled out? I understand complaints about damage output, which is why he's getting damage scaling nerfed on his normals, but his combo length is not aberrant at all.

You then make the same change as you did to FotF.

Using st.M and st.H accelerates HSD faster. That is to say you can still use your aerial hit confirm combos and end with a st.H into launcher but if you start with a st.H/M you will then have less relaunches to work with.

And we then reverse the scaling nerf.
K.

First combo is pure swag- terrible damage. Second is just Maziodyne loops which are unreliable off all but perfect point-blank confirms (unless in you're in the corner).

People complain about Doom combo length, but I honestly think it's salt over getting hit with footdives or the fact that he's on every god damn team and it gets old after a while. Doom combos (outside of TAC infinites obviously) aren't ACTUALLY especially long compared with other character's bnbs. I quickly looked up standard bnb videos for a few random characters (Magneto, Spencer, Haggar) and they were all actually significantly longer than regular Doom bnbs. Why is Doom being singled out? I understand complaints about damage output, which is why he's getting damage scaling nerfed on his normals, but his combo length is not aberrant at all.
Maybe it's because it's the same few inputs over and over. /shrug

I honestly almost never get hit by Foot Dive, and I think we shouldn't nerf it.

Zissou

I think we should leave the scaling nerf as-is and leave his OTG hitstun stuff alone. It's more or less unanimous that Doom needs lower damage output. Doom's combos not being long by marvel standards is a fact (that I can prove if you want me to go through the trouble). Given that 1) we want to lower Doom's damage a bit and 2) Doom's combo length is fine, tweaking scaling seems like the most reasonable change. Only changing a scaling value is the most parsimonious solution.

edit: Wait- so no committee member ever even asked for a footdive nerf? Why is it in there then?

Frantic

Honestly, more than Doom's damage scaling, I feel like his normals could use an overall damage reduction; it solves the problem of him doing a shit ton of damage, and it also solves the problem of him building a shit ton of meter.

Dahbomb

The problem with tweaking just the scaling values is that scaling does not affect meter gain. If we adjusted Doom's scaling to even 10% he would still be building the same amount of meter.

It is justified to say that a character is building too much meter off of pretty much brain dead combos. He is not earning that nearly in the same way Mag or Dante earn their meter. Combo length is irrelevant to me as Dante has long combos, Mag has long combos, Vergil has long combos and Zero has long combos, hell even Chun Li has long combos. What is relevant to me is investment vs profit.

Doom's problem is both getting easy damage and easy meter gain. For comparison Dorm and Wolverine have easy damage but not easy meter gain. We decreased base damage for their moves and now they should do fair damage. The best way to fix easy damage plus easy meter gain is limit the number of repetitions or nerf the damage on moves that get repeated a lot. If we decreased the damage of a single j.M of Doom, that might work.... however that is still punishing high end Doom combos because they also use j.M a lot. That just leaves nerfing st.H and st.M. Reducing their damage won't do much, the only change that makes sense is a HSD change.

And I asked for a Foot Dive nerf. Obviously a Dorm player is never getting hit by Foot Dive because he's too busy spamming him with Flares and meteors to care. Dorm getting hit by Foot Dive means he fucked up some where. For other characters its not that simple, they have to get in which means dealing with Foot Dive and its retarded hit box. Please don't make me bust out that hit box pic again.

So, this?

Doctor Doom:
*Hidden Missiles (assist): fires two fewer missiles; missiles which have not yet gained their tracking property fail to do so.
*j.S untechable time decreased slightly; still allows for full combos off of a non-dash-canceled j.S; posterior hitbox reduced slightly.
*Molecular Shield inputs can now be held to keep the shield active for more frames before releasing the rock; 30 frames max; startup decreased by 2 frames across the board; L version now -3 on block; M version now -1 on block; H version now +1 on block.
*Damage on normals reduced by 10% across the board.
*j.L hitbox improved so that it can hit small crouching characters while tri-dashing.

Assists: Plasma Beam M, Molecular Shield H, Hidden Missiles

And I asked for a Foot Dive nerf. Obviously a Dorm player is never getting hit by Foot Dive because he's too busy spamming him with Flares and meteors to care. Dorm getting hit by Foot Dive means he fucked up some where. For other characters its not that simple, they have to get in which means dealing with Foot Dive and its retarded hit box. Please don't make me bust out that hit box pic again.
Every time you use the "Karst plays Dormammu" line I want to slap you across the face. Do you think my team is Dormammu/Dormammu/Dormammu or something? I use Firebrand on point - Foot Dive is very scary for him. I'm just not a dipshit who sits under Dr. Doom and gets crosses up by him all the time or presses buttons when I shouldn't be. I'm patient.

Dahbomb

That's a severe damage nerf to the character. You have to pick one of them. I don't think reducing damage all across his normals is the answer. This isn't the case of Dorm where Dorm is able to.inflict a lot of chip damage as an alternate means of damaging the opponent. Doom does not have a chip heavy game nor does he have crazy mix ups... he definitely needs the good damage.

All I want is for some way that he has to do one less relaunch after doing st.H OTGs. That's all I want.

Oh nice Firebrand who has projectiles that go through his Shots and has mobility to pressure from above him with two types of Dive Kicks. Next thing you will tell that you also play Morrigan and don't go in on Doom.

Zissou

Just reduce damage on some or all of his normals and call it a day. Leave the scaling alone if you're doing to reduce damage AND meter gain.

I-hate-u

So, this?

Doctor Doom:
*Hidden Missiles (assist): fires two fewer missiles; missiles which have not yet gained their tracking property fail to do so.

Borderline broken if you guys are going with this. And when you say recovery reduced after forward air throw, is that to make him combo of the throw easier? Causes if it is then its unneeded. Its easy to do that right now if you are a decent Doom. Make it so that it applies only if he is super close to the ground.

That's a severe damage nerf to the character. You have to pick one of them. I don't think reducing damage all across his normals is the answer. This isn't the case of Dorm where Dorm is able to.inflict a lot of chip damage as an alternate means of damaging the opponent. Doom does not have a chip heavy game nor does he have crazy mix ups... he definitely needs the good damage.

All I want is for some way that he has to do one less relaunch after doing st.H OTGs. That's all I want.

Oh nice Firebrand who has projectiles that go through his Shots and has mobility to pressure from above him with two types of Dive Kicks. Next thing you will tell that you also play Morrigan and don't go in on Doom.
LOL, are you suggesting that Firebrand's d.H is usable in the neutral?

And why, in your terrible vision of this matchup, is Doom sitting below Firebrand?! It's better for Firebrand to be below Doom!

Doctor Doom:

Borderline broken if you guys are going with this. And when you say recovery reduced after forward air throw, is that to make him combo of the throw easier? Causes if it is then its unneeded. Its very easy to do that right now if you are a decent Doom.
Protip: don't call something easy when the best players in the world can't do it ~50% of the time.

Dahbomb

Reduce j.M damage from 45000 x 2 to 30000 x 2.

That's the best I can recommend.

And I was saying that FB has answers for Doom both above him (in the air or ground) and below him. You can be where ever the hell you want with FB against Doom except right in Foot Dive zone.

Viscant: "Anything that nerfs Spencer a little bit is good."

Bionic Lancer nerf officially endorsed by Viscant!

That does nothing about his crazy corner loops. You need to nerf his entire moveset a bit in damage. It's all interchangeable.

And I was saying that FB has answers for Doom both above him (in the air or ground) and below him. You can be where ever the hell you want with FB against Doom except right in Foot Dive zone.
I think that nearly every character has answers to Doom, but people just don't know how to deal with him. He's like Sentinel and his c.M unblockable. People just make stupid ass decisions when they're afraid.

Dahbomb

Crazy corner loops still require j.Ms. A lot of characters get big damage in corner so that's not really that bad. J.M is basically Doom's most commonly used normally in a mid screen combo.

I-hate-u

Protip: don't call something easy when the best players in the world can't do it ~50% of the time.

You can easily connect after an air throw at the right air height. It doesn't work if you are really high in the screen or really low to the ground. Thats very fair imo unlike Nova who can combo after any air throw at any part of the screen.

Zissou

Borderline broken if you guys are going with this. And when you say recovery reduced after forward air throw, is that to make him combo of the throw easier? Causes if it is then its unneeded. Its easy to do that right now if you are a decent Doom. Make it so that it applies only if he is super close to the ground.

Can you please explain how this would be broken? I don't even think it will particularly useful (and I'm not even sure who originally suggested it). It'll be a nice perk, giving point Doom a way to use missiles outside of welcome mix-ups and make himself safe (currently, you can THC-cancel them to make them safe, but if you're playing point Doom, you'll waste all your bar) and he'll be ever so slightly less fucked when he goes for a back throw but he's too far away (though a good Doom player should almost never do this for this exact reason).

Converting off of Doom forward throws outside the corner is dependent on the air throw height, and in many situations can be difficult or even impossible (as in literally impossible to accomplish). Presently, you can get the conversion if you're super close to the ground (so you almost immediately land, dash forward, tri-dash and convert almost as if it were a forward ground throw) or around max normal jump height where you can addf right after the throw, do a single tri-dash, and connect. At other heights you either need absurd execution, or it simply can't be done.

Dahbomb

I am going to sleep on Doom damage/combo changes and then give my thoughts/suggestions in the morning.

Basically what I want from the character is more encouragement to do aerial optimized combos rather than going for lazy OTG loops. Nerfing damage just discourages people from playing the character, nerfing both kinds off combos pisses off even more people. J.M nerfs both types of combos, flat HSD change nerfs both and damage scaling change nerfs both.

Azure J

I was actually going to clarify on the Optic Laser change. I want the vertical hitbox above to be adjusted. The lower hitbox is fine, but the above hitbox reaches very far above and does not match the actual laser. It's partly active frames, but it's also partly because it's coming from Viper's goggles so...

I just want to be able to punish a bad Optic Laser for once, man. It's either getting clipped by it after it shrinks, or I gotta watch for EX Seismo. >_>

Why you hatin' on my girl for? :p

As long as the underside doesn't get bothered I'm cool. Gotta keep these no fear Wolverines and Zeros in check somehow.

I just died.

Mazio loops are seriously fun.

Viscant: "NeoGAF scares me. There's this poster...Professor Beef. He makes me sad. He says a lot of mean things about me."

And Viscant says he got my e-mail about his changelog and he'll respond to it in a bit.

Top Bottom