• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

I always feel like I'm not cut out for fighting games. I spend a good deal of time in training mode practicing basic combos and always start feeling good about my set-up and team, and then I go and try and play online and just get utterly wrecked over and over and over again. I feel like David vs. Goliath in every match-up.
It took me about 2 years to become a solid player, but those skills transfer well across fighting games. It's a genre you invest in.

JeTmAn81

It took me about 2 years to become a solid player, but those skills transfer well across fighting games. It's a genre you invest in.

We're almost at the 3 year mark with Marvel and I barely consider myself decent at this point. There's a mind-boggling number of mental tasks to juggle when you play games like this seriously. Matchups cannot be learned quickly unless the game's roster is very low, and yet that knowledge is essential to having a chance against any experienced player. At least technical skill, once built up, seems like it should transfer pretty well from game to game.

i-Jest

Hi, does anyone here know where can I get a physical copy of a European UMVC3, PS3 version? It's sold out in my country :(

Early signs of whats to come? It begins again.....

Have you checked whatever department stores are in your area? Any game shops? Do you guys have Kijij, Craig's List, or something equivalent you can check?

Ghazi

So, I really like this Nova/Frank/Dante team, and I've had more success than I've ever had with the team. But, there's so many Nova/Frank teams out there doing the exact same thing. I'm obviously worse than most, but even if I did get better I'd still be indistinguishable from them. So, I can't in good mind continue to play this team, it was pretty cool though. I think I'll revert back to Jill/Frank or Iron Man/Strider. The Wolverine/Jill/Dante team is pretty badly thought out. Both are fairly fun and extremely unique teams that not many people see.

Also, does anyone know if Frank's Shopping Cart assist OTGs? I assume it doesn't, but for some reason I want to believe it does and I'm not at home to test it.
Yup, those were the first stores I checked. :( I'm screwed, should had bought it when I had the chance.
Well, downloadable Vita version it is, then.

Isn't both Marvel and the PS3 region free, therefore you could theoretically import a copy from elsewhere, right? Unless you're specifically desiring the European version.

onionfrog

So, I really like this Nova/Frank/Dante team, and I've had more success than I've ever had with the team. But, there's so many Nova/Frank teams out there doing the exact same thing. I'm obviously worse than most, but even if I did get better I'd still be indistinguishable from them. So, I can't in good mind continue to play this team, it was pretty cool though. I think I'll revert back to Jill/Frank or Iron Man/Strider. The Wolverine/Jill/Dante team is pretty badly thought out. Both are fairly fun and extremely unique teams that not many people see.
I respect this.
I mean, I could win more matches with something stupid like wolverine/doom/vergil. But it wouldn't be as fun and there would be nothing unique about it.

Creativity and expression are some of the best things about marvel 3's team based gameplay.

I'd still keep that nova team as a side team. It's a fun team! I play it on occasion myself.
Also, does anyone know if Frank's Shopping Cart assist OTGs? I assume it doesn't, but for some reason I want to believe it does and I'm not at home to test it.
Nah it doesn't. It'd be too good as a fast, half screen OTG.

It's still a really great assist though, it's on par with Akuma's tatsu.

Isn't both Marvel and the PS3 region free, therefore you could theoretically import a copy from elsewhere, right? Unless you're specifically desiring the European version.
Yes. PS3 is region free, with very few exceptions. (Ex: Persona 4 Arena is region locked)

The only issue I could see is if you have European DLC. That won't be compatible with the US version of the game.

The shopping cart does not otg.

I'm not quite understanding your reasoning behind wanting to drop Nova/Frank. You can make yourself standout among Nova's. Anyone can develop their own unique style. I personally don't think I play with Nova like most folk, but that's because my team construction doesn't really allow me to. I don't really have the liberty of repeatedly box dashing while using a horizontal assist. I rely a lot on unblockables and some light zoning combined with some mixups. Most people don't use a lot of his moveset outside of combos. Try to mess with a lot of his tools in the neutral and you can probably become a more unique Nova.

Ghazi

I respect this.
I mean, I could win more matches with something stupid like wolverine/doom/vergil. But it wouldn't be as fun and there would be nothing unique about it.

Creativity and expression are some of the best things about marvel 3's team based gameplay.

I'd still keep that nova team as a side team. It's a fun team! I play it on occasion myself.
Yeah, when I played Jill/Frank or Iron Man/Strider I really felt like I was playing a team I loved all aspects of while not feeling like a player in the masses. Whether I lose or not (it isn't all that matters to me) I still have a great time know that I'm not playing some homogeneous team.

Nah it doesn't. It'd be too good as a fast, half screen OTG.

It's still a really great assist though, it's on par with Akuma's tatsu.
Nice, I was hoping to possibly get some extensions of it, but that would've made it too good.

Yes. PS3 is region free, with very few exceptions. (Ex: Persona 4 Arena is region locked)

The only issue I could see is if you have European DLC. That won't be compatible with the US version of the game.
Ah, well, if he/she hasn't bought any DLC (as it doesn't matter because you can't buy it anymore) than they should import the game, if they really want to play it on console.

The shopping cart does not otg.

I'm not quite understanding your reasoning behind wanting to drop Nova/Frank. You can make yourself standout among Nova's. Anyone can develop their own unique style. I personally don't think I play with Nova like most folk, but that's because my team construction doesn't really allow me to. I don't really have the liberty of repeatedly box dashing while using a horizontal assist. I rely a lot on unblockables and some light zoning combined with some mixups. Most people don't use a lot of his moveset outside of combos. Try to mess with a lot of his tools in the neutral and you can probably become a more unique Nova.
One thing I like about Nova is that he's extremely simple, not many moves. He's an effective character, does great damage, and has great health. But, there's only so many effective new and unique things you can do with that small moveset. One thing I miss about point Jill was the freedom you had with her and that there was so much you can do with her, in comparison to Nova. Maybe saying I'm flat out not going to play that team was an over reaction. I'll still use the team from time to time sure, but it won't be my focus and/or main team. I've got a good strategy (box dashing, fly/dash cross ups) and basics down with that team so I can play them fairly effectively.

I just don't think that there is much I can do to make myself stand out as a Nova player, in comparison to most others. I really did like the team though, it was pretty good. Dante is also a problem there, my neutral game with him is pretty awful so by the time I get to him I'm 95% chance going to lose. He's just too good in the overall synergy scheme to give up for that team though. I just think I need to put more effort into my Jill to make her better, plus I still have level up tactics with Jill/Frank anyway. I'll probably still play that Chris/Jill/Dante or Vergil team as well. I wish i could have Jill on point there as well, but the sad fact is that there's no consistent way to DHC from Jill to Chris without the DHC being completely unsafe and not hitting.

One thing I like about Nova is that he's extremely simple, not many moves. He's an effective character, does great damage, and has great health. But, there's only so many effective new and unique things you can do with that small moveset. One thing I miss about point Jill was the freedom you had with her and that there was so much you can do with her, in comparison to Nova. Maybe saying I'm flat out not going to play that team was an over reaction. I'll still use the team from time to time sure, but it won't be my focus and/or main team. I've got a good strategy (box dashing, fly/dash cross ups) and basics down with that team so I can play them fairly effectively.

I just don't think that there is much I can do to make myself stand out as a Nova player, in comparison to most others. I really did like the team though, it was pretty good. Dante is also a problem there, my neutral game with him is pretty awful so by the time I get to him I'm 95% chance going to lose. He's just too good in the overall synergy scheme to give up for that team though. I just think I need to put more effort into my Jill to make her better, plus I still have level up tactics with Jill/Frank anyway. I'll probably still play that Chris/Jill/Dante or Vergil team as well. I wish i could have Jill on point there as well, but the sad fact is that there's no consistent way to DHC from Jill to Chris without the DHC being completely unsafe and not hitting.

His moveset may be small but all the strengths of all the moves are drastically different. It's not like, say Akuma, where the different strengths just give more damage or some different movement or something. With Nova, Grav Pulse, Centurion Rush, and Nova Strike L, M, and H are all very different.

For instance I've started to use Gravimetric Pulse M and H a lot as anti airs. Especially H.

I like to end blockstrings with Centurion Rush L while I call Strider. Most people are pushblocking and the Centurion Rush gets me back in WHILE attacking, and it hits low. If they get clipped then they'll also get hit by Strider and I can get a pickup off of that. I use the M version for unblockables.

All versions of Nova Strike are fairly safe on block as long as you use them at the appropriate distance, and you're mindful of characters with really fast L's. Just don't get too loose with the L and M version. I abuse the hell out of them though. Especially H. I am an Energy Javelin whore and I love to chuck a few at full screen and then do Nova Strike H. I catch people flinching often. If the Javelin hits then Nova Strike probably will too. If it's blocked then you are safe (I think). If you tiger knee the motion then you get quick j.L's as well once the motion is finished. Doesn't work often, since I'm usually pushblocked, but if I'm not then it catches people at times.

There's a lot you can do with Nova, it's just that boxdashing is braindead and simple.....and effective, so you don't always need to do much else, haha.

Anyone on PS3 up for some games?

I'd really like to, as I haven't played in like a week (besides about 15 min yesterday), but I have to go to work.

I don't think you're on my friends list though, so add me if you'd like and hopefully we can play in the near future

PSN - EyelessOrphan

Vice

Yeah, when I played Jill/Frank or Iron Man/Strider I really felt like I was playing a team I loved all aspects of while not feeling like a player in the masses. Whether I lose or not (it isn't all that matters to me) I still have a great time know that I'm not playing some homogeneous team.

Nice, I was hoping to possibly get some extensions of it, but that would've made it too good.

Ah, well, if he/she hasn't bought any DLC (as it doesn't matter because you can't buy it anymore) than they should import the game, if they really want to play it on console.

I just don't think that there is much I can do to make myself stand out as a Nova player, in comparison to most others. I really did like the team though, it was pretty good. Dante is also a problem there, my neutral game with him is pretty awful so by the time I get to him I'm 95% chance .
Nova can do everything. He's like Ryu or, in Marvel terms, a lesser Magneto.

Piccoro

On the off chance you're still looking, Germany Amazon has some in stock: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B005JA0NU8/

Thanks. But I'm a bit scared that the German version isn't compatible with the DLC from the rest of Europe. There are some incompatibilities with the UK games and other EU regions DLC's, for example. I'm still gonna buy that, thank you.

I've already bought the European DLC which is only compatible with the Euro copy of Marvel. This is the same with ALL PS3 games.

shaowebb

This image is how I see Ammy when I run into a good one.

bad29m5.jpg

Just wanted to share psycho doge.

LakeEarth

One thing I like about Nova is that he's extremely simple, not many moves. He's an effective character, does great damage, and has great health.
I'd say health is one of his big drawbacks, only 900000. It's not Strider/Raccoon bad, but it's at that threshold where most BNB + 2 bars will kill, and you really feel chip. At least he isn't Sentinel big.

I respect this.

I can't. Just because Nova and Frank are a popular pair and really good is a terrible reason to drop this team. If you like playing them and are having more fun with them stick with them. Sure your not the best Nova/Frank player, so what? I can pick who I want and who I like using and just do the best I possibly can with them. I mean if you where die hard set on that Wolverine/Jill team and wanted to be the best damn Wolvie Jill combo despite it's terribleness, I could respect that. Don't drop a team you like just because it's a common team. Only drop it if YOU don't like it.

FSLink

Banned
I'd say health is one of his big drawbacks, only 900000. It's not Strider/Raccoon bad, but it's at that threshold where most BNB + 2 bars will kill, and you really feel chip. At least he isn't Sentinel big.

The health is why I've been messing around with She Hulk/Strange/Spencer over Nova/Strange/Spencer for some matchups. That, plus many people forget about She Hulk's tricks, and Spencer/Strange is still a really good shell if she goes down.

JeTmAn81

looks to me like somebody threw a flame frisbee at her and hit her really hard and she is reacting to it.

That's no way to treat man's best friend.

Anyway, I am randomly doing mission mode and have decided to try to complete all missions for all characters. I also realized that if I ever make a fighting game, I'll definitely want to include a feature that lets players record their best combos and post them in an online mission mode dojo where others can download and try to learn them. A replay of the combo as well as all inputs will be included, naturally.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
How high do the ranks go? 6th lord now so I'm starting to play more higher-ranked peeps and a lot of them seem really gimmicky. Like I played this 4th lord the other night who just did almost nothing but Nemesis' air bazooka while constantly calling Taskmaster assist.

Dahbomb

Like I played this 4th lord the other night who just did almost nothing but Nemesis' air bazooka while constantly calling Taskmaster assist.
That's not gimmicky... that's how you play Nemesis! Pretty sure that's like a real Nemesis team that Airtola uses as Nemesis gets some extension with Taskmaster arrows.

Ghazi

How high do the ranks go? 6th lord now so I'm starting to play more higher-ranked peeps and a lot of them seem really gimmicky. Like I played this 4th lord the other night who just did almost nothing but Nemesis' air bazooka while constantly calling Taskmaster assist.

Yeah, some online people are pretty bad and spam the same tactics. Sometimes it's bs, other times it's stuff that people have trouble fighting. Nonetheless, rank isn't really a good indicator of skill.

btw guys, I got my joystick in the mail and fixed my stick, so I'm down to play on 360 on Saturdays.

That sounds super gimmicky, Dahbomb, Nemesis doesn't seem like he's supposed to be a ranged character. It sounds like a pretty weak strategy, I thought Nemesis's game was based off his command grabs and all the resets he can get?

As Dahbomb stated, it's an effective strategy that was used by a player named Airtola. It was a combination of bazookas and dirty noodles with Task assist in order to get in.

Dahbomb

Nemesis is actually a better ranged character than he is up close. His armor moves suck which means he has a bunch of slow ass moves up close. His rockets take finesse to use because you have to TK it but the damage from the rockets is insane (like 100K+). If he clips your assists they take huge damage. Between his air noodles, his TK rocket and a horizontal projectile attack he can play a decent keep away game. And then when he gets you to block an assist he might go in for a command grab. You just don't go for command grabs all day long, it's unsafe and his hypers are unsafe too so you can't just throw that stuff out randomly.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
You guys misunderstand. Jump back air bazooka, call assist was literally all he did for 2-3 games, and he didn't do anything else when I started blowing that up. Maybe that's a legit combo when used properly, but the way this dude was using it was pretty darn gimmicky.
Yeah, some online people are pretty bad and spam the same tactics. Sometimes it's bs, other times it's stuff that people have trouble fighting. Nonetheless, rank isn't really a good indicator of skill.

btw guys, I got my joystick in the mail and fixed my stick, so I'm down to play on 360 on Saturdays.

That sounds super gimmicky, Dahbomb, Nemesis doesn't seem like he's supposed to be a ranged character. It sounds like a pretty weak strategy, I thought Nemesis's game was based off his command grabs and all the resets he can get?

Yeah I'm definitely starting to feel like ranked means a lot less here than in other games, especially since you can go into the options menu and reset your records. A good 70 percent of ranked seems to be fighting dudes who reset their shit.

Nemesis is actually a better ranged character than he is up close. His armor moves suck which means he has a bunch of slow ass moves up close. His rockets take finesse to use because you have to TK it but the damage from the rockets is insane (like 100K+). If he clips your assists they take huge damage. Between his air noodles, his TK rocket and a horizontal projectile attack he can play a decent keep away game. And then when he gets you to block an assist he might go in for a command grab. You just don't go for command grabs all day long, it's unsafe and his hypers are unsafe too so you can't just throw that stuff out randomly.
Too bad the durability on the rocket is complete shit. Still love Nemesis though.
You guys misunderstand. Jump back air bazooka, call assist was literally all he did for 2-3 games, and he didn't do anything else when I started blowing that up. Maybe that's a legit combo when used properly, but the way this dude was using it was pretty darn gimmicky.

Yeah I'm definitely starting to feel like ranked means a lot less here than in other games, especially since you can go into the options menu and reset your records. A good 70 percent of ranked seems to be fighting dudes who reset their shit.
Try player matches. Way better in my opinion. I think between the 360 version and the PS3 version, I've only played a total of maybe 200 ranked matches.

If they changed the format, then I might have more interest in them.

FSLink

Banned

Beginner > Amateur > Rookie > Fighter > 9th-1st Lord/Guard/Scout/Judge/Ranger > High ___ > Master ____ > Mighty ____ > Cosmic ____

smurfx

get some go again
a lot of those dudes are complete garbage though.

Dahbomb

Then he probably sucks and that's the only thing he can do right.

But that tactic used with a bunch of other tools and spacing is definitely legit. In the case of Nemesis, that's basically like throwing Sonic Booms with Guile. A bad player may just keep throwing it out without using any of his other tools but the Sonic Boom itself is still a legit tool.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's the difference between the Lord/Guard/Scout/Judge/Ranger ranks?

I've always wondered. I'd rather be a Scout than a Lord. Red>Green
IIRC it's determined by small things in performance like how aggressive or defensive you are, how many times you block, etc. Some of the similar stuff often used in scoring arcade modes.

FSLink

Banned
What's the difference between the Lord/Guard/Scout/Judge/Ranger ranks?

I've always wondered. I'd rather be a Scout than a Lord. Red>Green

Lord: Stability, HP. You'll see this more often since if you're higher ranked, you're probably dominating and not losing many characters due to how the game is.

Guard: Basic Defense: You block most often, this is probably the least seen since if you suck you probably don't even block anyway.

Ranger: Basic Offense: I'm assuming this is just normal attacks, specials, and such.... and supposedly DHCs count too.

Judge: Advanced Defense: I think this is lots of pushblocking

Scout: Advanced Offense: You do THCs, TACs.

Then he probably sucks and that's the only thing he can do right.

But that tactic used with a bunch of other tools and spacing is definitely legit. In the case of Nemesis, that's basically like throwing Sonic Booms with Guile. A bad player may just keep throwing it out without using any of his other tools but the Sonic Boom itself is still a legit tool.

Honestly, a decent player with Nemesis backed by a good assist (like Doom missiles) is pretty freaking annoying, especially if they're good at guessing when you're gonna press buttons and combo you if you get in. I tend to just outzone Nemesis instead of dealing with that armor bullshit since his rockets don't have much durability.

Lord: Stability, HP. You'll see this more often since if you're higher ranked, you're probably dominating and not losing many characters due to how the game is.

Guard: Basic Defense: You block most often, this is probably the least seen since if you suck you probably don't even block anyway.

Ranger: Basic Offense: I'm assuming this is just normal attacks, specials, and such.... and supposedly DHCs count too.

Judge: Advanced Defense: I think this is lots of pushblocking

Scout: Advanced Offense: You do THCs, TACs.

How......bizarre.

FSLink

Banned
Got Live again just because I've been wanting to play more AE, and PS3 AE is ass (and I want more randoms to play than the PC version). So I'll be in Marvel too of course.

XBL: FSLink

If any of you guys don't have me already. Probably won't be on until this weekend though.

Vice

Viscant dropping gems.
And we haven’t even fully explored what we have. There’s still room for new teams to emerge. Most top tier teams right now are constructed according to a pretty specific formula.

We know who the strongest point characters are. Morrigan, Zero, Magneto, Nova, Wolverine.

We know who the strongest support characters are. Doom, Dante, Dr. Strange.

And we know who the strongest anchor characters are. Vergil, Strider, Phoenix.

So for right now the strongest teams are made through UMvC3 mad libs. You take the top tier point character you want to play, match them up with their favorite top tier support character and finish off the team with an anchor that benefits both the best.

But as players get better and fully master their characters there’s room to think outside the box and be more creative. The most obvious way to break the mold is to master your support characters and put them in the anchor position which opens up new team construction ideas. As mentioned above, since Filipino Champ can play Doom so well, he has the opportunity to play anchor Doom and Dormammu in the second spot. Since Angelic can play Shuma so well he can also play Dormammu 2nd on his teams as well. Bee’s Frank West team works because he’s confident enough in his anchor Dante.
http://www.brokentier.com/blogs/news/11575665-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-team-tier-list-2014

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgt3R4TofW0 Had no idea you could convert that low to the ground with Nova force DHC. I'd been doing a variation that didn't allow corner conversions with Doom. Works with any character with an install hypes and OTG. If you take them high enough it works with Wesker's counter as well.

Top Bottom