• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Thanks.
I've been using the team as a zoning team; the fact that most of their move lists were filled with projectiles was a reason I ended up sticking with them. I normally give Trish the air trap assist because I never really use her outside of point, and when I first played the game I used to try swapping out after killing someone, throwing the trap assist and attempting
failing
to cross them up.
My only main concern with the team, and I don't even know if it should be a concern considering I prefer to play a zoning game, is that I have no OTG assists, and aside from Arthur I don't think the other characters can OTG that well on their own. I know Trish just has Maximum Voltage and Taskmaster's OTG aerial arrows seems to only lead into the Hyper aerial arrows, although I'm guessing I can do trickier things with that.

You might be able to extend Task combos with his otg arrows if you call Arthur's assist right before it. But yeah your team doesn't sound very damaging, but it doesn't need to be if you can zone well. Trish's trap assist can be good for covering Arthur. The trap combined with his zoning and Task's assist can make it very very difficult to get in.

onionfrog

GGs!
Jill/Frank/Strider or Jill/Iron Man/Strider is still the best Jill team I've ever used. But, I stopped playing them even though I was decent with the team. I'm really tired of Jill now, I've been playing her close to since I got the game and she's been pretty much useless to me. I've done better than I ever have with Jill with the team I'm playing now, that's how bad I was with Jill.
Great Jill team, the only problem is that you have to play Ironman.

kappa

Great Jill team, the only problem is that you have to play Ironman.

kappa

What does Jill get from Strider though? And it's kinda hard to capitalize off of a Vajra hit with Iron Man since he's so slow on the ground.

I love Jill/IronMan, but I really really struggle with a third character. I'm really anal about everyone benefiting each other.

onionfrog

What does Jill get from Strider though? And it's kinda hard to capitalize off of a Vajra hit with Iron Man since he's so slow on the ground.

I love Jill/IronMan, but I really really struggle with a third character. I'm really anal about everyone benefiting each other.
She doesn't get much from Vajra. I mean it provides a valuable AA assist, but she can't capitalize on it.

I just really like anchor strider.

Ghazi

It just gets everyone out of the air... Jill cannot do anything in the air.

edit: Welp, looks like Marvel on the 360 is going to be taking a long hiatus.

Dahbomb

Yeah Morrigan shouldn't be banned, probably should've banned Wolverine instead of her even though I don't really think he's #6 best character. That's just the next character everyone will gravitate towards, him or Nova.

Dahbomb

Someone want to explain the purpose of storm's dp super?
It's a near full screen punish because of its range and speed of activation. It is also useful for getting something out of your air throw in case you feel like you will miss the conversion.

Overall it's still a very poor hyper.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Oh, yeah I didn't know it had different versions based on the button held. Makes a lot more sense now. This game has the shittiest command list.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't think there's a command list in fighting games I like. Injustice has a terribad one that cuts through like 6 different pages too, with a shitty, twitchy menu system to boot.

Frantic

GGs, Sigmaah. You need to hold forward at the start of the round against Dante. You're a bit too reserved against him, and it let me start his gameplan much easier, which is actually really effective against Zero. You need to shut him down before he can get going(which, admittedly, is easier said than done). Dante/Strider is really good against Zero without Jam Session/Missiles.

Sigmaah

GGs, Sigmaah. You need to hold forward at the start of the round against Dante. You're a bit too reserved against him, and it let me start his gameplan much easier, which is actually really effective against Zero. You need to shut him down before he can get going(which, admittedly, is easier said than done). Dante/Strider is really good against Zero without Jam Session/Missiles.

Thanks for the tips, I just don't usually play good Dante's so I didn't know what to do lmao. I didn't think Dante could do that much shit but yours proves me wrong and them trish combos?! Dammmmn son. That strider is the devil lmao, gonna try to snap that fool in a lot from now on.

ANYONE WHO SAYS DANTE DOES LOW DAMAGE OR IS HARD TO CONTROL OR WHATEVER THE CASE.... YEAH FUCKING RIGHT MY ASS HE IS.

Frantic

Thanks for the tips, I just don't usually play good Dante's so I didn't know what to do lmao. I didn't think Dante could do that much shit but yours proves me wrong and them trish combos?! Dammmmn son. That strider is the devil lmao, gonna try to snap that fool in a lot from now on.
Dante is the toolman. He has an option for every situation, you just have to notice when and where to use it all. The lag was forcing me to be a bit less tech happy(but just tolerable enough where I could do shot loops, lol), but Dante has a whole lot more shit he can do.

My Strider is usually even more scary than what I was playing him as, but for some reason recently I've been doing poorly with him. *shrug*

ANYONE WHO SAYS DANTE DOES LOW DAMAGE OR IS HARD TO CONTROL OR WHATEVER THE CASE.... YEAH FUCKING RIGHT MY ASS HE IS.
lol, part of the problem is you play a team of low health characters. Don't really have to work for the kill... but at the same time, I can do 1.1k off a clean hit with one meter stock, so... yeah.

Sigmaah

Dante is the toolman. He has an option for every situation, you just have to notice when and where to use it all. The lag was forcing me to be a bit less tech happy(but just tolerable enough where I could do shot loops, lol), but Dante has a whole lot more shit he can do.

My Strider is usually even more scary than what I was playing him as, but for some reason recently I've been doing poorly with him. *shrug*

lol, part of the problem is you play a team of low health characters. Don't really have to work for the kill... but at the same time, I can do 1.1k off a clean hit with one meter stock, so... yeah.

Ya the lag was stopping me from doing some stuff too but it wasn't that bad but could've been better. I gotta watch for falling Dante cause that's what was clipping me and that trish assist is nice, didn't know it comes a little behind the point character.

And yeah I know my team is all low health but I was watching the combos and damage, and before you even finished what you were doing id be dead, and I'm sitting here like, DAMN he wasn't even finished yet! That Dante into DHC damage tho!

Are you saying you need to start your combo with one bar, so you can build up to two and do that much damage? Or are you saying you can do that much damage with just one meter? If it's the latter, then holy shit.

I just remembered that I still haven't played you. I need to make that happen soon. I think I'm gonna buy another 360 copy and just say fuck it and let the one I have lent out be a present.

Frantic

I gotta watch for falling Dante cause that's what was clipping me and that trish assist is nice, didn't know it comes a little behind the point character.
I always seem to push the right button/move as I'm coming down with Dante, heh. I have pretty strong reads, most of the time.

And yeah, Low Voltage has the Plasma Beam sort of starting point. Not quite as good, as the hitstun generally isn't enough to allow a full combo if you get hit like Plasma Beam, but combo breaking opportunity is still better than nothing. I laughed that one round when you X-Factored > Helm Breakered Dante, and then High Time'd right as Trish fired Low Voltage and you got a Happy Birthday... then immediately died because Low Voltage hit. I went from 'aw fuck' to 'aw yeah' in less than a second.

Are you saying you need to start your combo with one bar, so you can build up to two and do that much damage? Or are you saying you can do that much damage with just one meter? If it's the latter, then holy shit.
Nah, it's basically a lazy version of this combo that I do online and it does 1.1 mil. I unfortunately cap out at 900k off an airthrow conversion, but that's pretty much the highest Dante can do off a throw period without Lightning Loops/TAC Infinite.

I just remembered that I still haven't played you. I need to make that happen soon. I think I'm gonna buy another 360 copy and just say fuck it and let the one I have lent out be a present.
I'd be down to play you. We can even have a 'team-off' where we pick one of our many different teams and play a FT3 then switch to another. :p

Sigmaah

I always seem to push the right button/move as I'm coming down with Dante, heh. I have pretty strong reads, most of the time.

And yeah, Low Voltage has the Plasma Beam sort of starting point. Not quite as good, as the hitstun generally isn't enough to allow a full combo if you get hit like Plasma Beam, but combo breaking opportunity is still better than nothing. I laughed that one round when you X-Factored > Helm Breakered Dante, and then High Time'd right as Trish fired Low Voltage and you got a Happy Birthday... then immediately died because Low Voltage hit. I went from 'aw fuck' to 'aw yeah' in less than a second.

Nah, it's basically a lazy version of this combo that I do online and it does 1.1 mil. I unfortunately cap out at 900k off an airthrow conversion, but that's pretty much the highest Dante can do off a throw period without Lightning Loops/TAC Infinite.

I'd be down to play you. We can even have a 'team-off' where we pick one of our many different teams and play a FT3 then switch to another. :p

Lmfao that shit got me tight! I was like, WHAT THE FUCK THAT HIT ME?! nooooo! The one round where you let me come back with Akuma... I was dying of laughter, I was like, did he really just let me super 3 times and hit strider all 3 times?! NO WAY lol.

Frantic

Lmfao that shit got me tight! I was like, WHAT THE FUCK THAT HIT ME?! nooooo! The one round where you let me come back with Akuma... I was dying of laughter, I was like, did he really just let me super 3 times and hit strider all 3 times?! NO WAY lol.
Haha, I don't even remember what I was thinking at the time. I kinda just turned my brain off at that point and was just mashing jab to get orbs out. Then I died and I just thought "whoops, mashed a little too hard."

Dahbomb

What?

You know what I mean. The damage doesn't reset, but you get the spinning knockdown. Using Ryu over Akuma as an anchor for Storm might be interesting just for this reason.
The whole point of DHC glitch is that it resets damage scaling, hence the glitch. Otherwise its just a DHC that leads into a full but scaled combo like Thor into 7 Rings.

The whole point of DHC glitch is that it resets damage scaling, hence the glitch. Otherwise its just a DHC that leads into a full but scaled combo like Thor into 7 Rings.
It is a combo starter, so you get a long and full combo in a situation where you currently do not have anything going. Big difference.

Yeah I need to work on my Dante combos, but I don't watch many videos unless they're posted/linked to me. Too lazy. I'm always just trying to figure shit out on my own.

But yeah that sounds good as I like going through my teams, and switching after 3 losses instead of my normal 5 would be an interesting change of pace.

Azure J

Sigmah talking about playing another Dante/Strider makes me miss this stuff so badly. Training mode is fun and all but there's nothing quite like playing it.

It is a combo starter, so you get a long and full combo in a situation where you currently do not have anything going. Big difference.

Ehhh the super is kinda shit unless you have more than one bar. Crap damage and bad positioning afterward if you were in the corner.

Does anyone ever have issues during dhc's where you'll do a dp super but you'll get a qcf super instead? Happens to me more often than I'd like it to.

Wow, Thor/Rocket Raccoon/Spencer is raw tag city. Tornado DHC Trap, raw tag to spencer = THE DAMAGE.

A2(Horizontal graple), oil bomb, taunt, raw tag to spencer = THE DAMAGE.

Ehhh the super is kinda shit unless you have more than one bar. Crap damage and bad positioning afterward if you were in the corner.

Does anyone ever have issues during dhc's where you'll do a dp super but you'll get a qcf super instead? Happens to me more often than I'd like it to.
Never. My input issue is always the opposite.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I SUCK!

Few days ago, I was able to play Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, and I'm telling you, oh boy I suck big time. I haven't played for like few months ever since June. I really dislike my arcade stick on PS3 because it's too small for fast paced fighting game since I can't really place my hand on it very well.

Time for me to relearning how to play UMVC3 all over again.

Never. My input issue is always the opposite.

I know I've brought up input issues before, but wasn't sure if I brought this one up.

But yeah it ONLY happens during dhc's. I hate when it happens with Doom. Instead of Sphere Flame, I'll get his lvl 3. It fucking sucks. Sometimes I'll just use Photon Array even though I'll get less damage, just to be safe.

Ghazi

Goddamn, watching Winrich play gives me so much hope for playing this game. Even though he's losing right now, I respect that kid so much. Like, I literally even started feeling I had a chance to play this game competitively because of that little guy. Damn, I have to sign up for that tournament again and start going to the arcade again.

was-this-your-weekend.jpg

I always feel like I'm not cut out for fighting games. I spend a good deal of time in training mode practicing basic combos and always start feeling good about my set-up and team, and then I go and try and play online and just get utterly wrecked over and over and over again. I feel like David vs. Goliath in every match-up.

smurfx

get some go again
I always feel like I'm not cut out for fighting games. I spend a good deal of time in training mode practicing basic combos and always start feeling good about my set-up and team, and then I go and try and play online and just get utterly wrecked over and over and over again. I feel like David vs. Goliath in every match-up.
it takes a while for you to feel comfortable doing those combos against people. every time i want to start doing certain setups i just do it even if i fail hard for the longest time. what you are going through is what a ton of people go through when playing against actual people.

Well this is going to happen to a much larger degree as this is a pretty popular game and has been out for a long time. Most people you will run into will be pretty experianced.

Top Bottom